PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 4 - Connected Online Singleplayer

pacmanate
06-11-2013, 01:39 PM
So apparently we will be connected with friends in our single player.... take a listen. According to this the story will include real life players.

"The single-player mode of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag will allow you to connect with your friends' games.As in Watch Dogs, Ubisoft's other big open world game this year, Assassin's Creed 4's story will involve other real-life players at specific times. There will also be a companion phone app.
"The biggest thing that we were getting into with Assassin's Creed 4 is the concept that even in a single-player story - we still have multiplayer, to be clear - but even in the single-player, that you're connected," game director Ash Ismael told Eurogamer.
"You [will] feel that there's other people also playing the game and somehow you can interact, or somehow you can take advantage with each other."
This connectivity will be limited to the game's modern day section, where you play a version of yourself working for the Templar-fronted Abstergo.
"The hero is yourself," Ismael continued. "You're working for Abstergo Entertainment, and you're using the Animus technology. You're a research analyst, and you don't know why, but you're told to research the life of this guy Edward Kenway.
"The coworkers with you - we want you to feel that your friends are co-workers. So other people playing Black Flag are also research analysts. So when they can find stuff in the world, they can share it with you. When they do research, and when you're doing research, you can share that information and you get a boost for it. Even in a single-player story where there's a narrative, this is a really big strength of next gen."

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/5/8/7/6/0/1/ACIVBF_ScreenshotSP_CaribbeanSea_LeapOfFaith_1920x 1080_130610_4h15pmPT.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/600x-1

But it is completely up to you if you want to take part, Ismael stressed. For those who want to play offline, that option is available too.
"It's not like the game is going to stop functioning or that you're not going to be able to experience Assassin's Creed because you're not connected," he reassured. "[This feature], the companion app - all of this stuff is extensions of the game. It's adding comfort or it's adding new layers that you can delve deeper if you choose to, if you want to.

"I completely understand that people have misgivings about being forced to be connected. For our games, we're not forcing that. It is optional, if you don't like it that's OK, you don't have to deal with it."
We've seen much of Black Flag's pirate-themed Carribbean historical setting, but the game's modern day portion remains more mysterious.
"Definitely the gameplay, the feeling and the mood of the present day will be a big surprise for people," Ismael teased. Perhaps the action takes place in first-person as you're playing as yourself? The Assassin's Creed series has gone there before.
"We're pushing the narrative of the Assassin/Templar feud," he continued, "both in the present day and in the past. The reason you're researching Edward Kenway is he did something very special in the past, very specific.
"Fans, especially people who know the deep, deep details of the lore, they'll see what his purpose was. He did something very significant that actually touches upon the other games. If you're not into that kind of stuff it's OK, they're just details.
"Imagine when you exit that [Animus] workstation, you have this building that you can explore and you can find stuff. So we really push it. For us, that part is an homage to our fans."

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-assassins-creed-4-black-flag-single-player-mode-connects-with-friends (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-assassins-creed-4-black-flag-single-player-mode-connects-with-friends)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cznMQaiuGiU

Kit572
06-11-2013, 01:48 PM
I vaguely remember hearing last night something to do with single player COOP. Might've been from another game franchise, but I am sure I heard it was for this game.

ArabianFrost
06-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Desmond-themed content? Awesome.

As for the online, it isn't coop in that sense. Basically, you and your sissy friend who for some reason are always online can share info (probably treasure maps, side missions, hidden collectibles, this sort of useless crap).

Tl;dr
Connectivity you don't need for the MODERN SEGMENT, cause why the hell not ride the hurr durr online wave?

Kit572
06-11-2013, 01:54 PM
As for the online, it isn't coop in that sense. Basically, you and your sissy friend who for some reason are always online can share info (probably treasure maps, side missions, hidden collectibles, this sort of useless crap).

Kind of reminds me how me and my friend would help each other find feathers in AC2 over party chat...

pacmanate
06-11-2013, 02:00 PM
This could be interesting, I just hope it has worthy features to make me want to use it.

ArabianFrost
06-11-2013, 02:00 PM
I like when he mentions the part about details for the fans the are really into the lore. "We added details for the fans that actually care about our lore, rather than give them the piss and leave them to rot with unanswered questions."

Mr.Darby McDevitt, you have been listening. It's as if Ashraf was directly talking to us. Glad to see the whole Truth ACB dilemma brought us some advantages.

ProletariatPleb
06-11-2013, 02:01 PM
All this "connected" BS is driving me mad.

Kit572
06-11-2013, 02:01 PM
This could be interesting, I just hope it has worthy features to make me want to use it.

+1

SixKeys
06-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Sounds basically like an upgraded Project Legacy.

Ureh
06-11-2013, 02:45 PM
So far almost everything sounds promising.

Not sure about this connected SP though. What does this research entail (hopefully not: Oh, I found a shark here and a whale there) and does sharing expand the lore?

twenty_glyphs
06-11-2013, 02:48 PM
All this "connected" BS is driving me mad.

Me too. I just don't get the point. What problem is this solving, or what need is this fulfilling? Who is asking to be more "connected" to other people in their singleplayer games? Same with all the tablet "connectedness" as well. Do they really think I'm going to be holding a controller and using my tablet to do a lot of things on the side at the same time? I'm sure if it was done well where it was designed to work when you set the controller down and actually provide additional content or experiences, it could be cool. It all feels so gimmicky to me though.

It seems like everyone is just trying to find excuses to incorporate new technology into their games instead of using that technology to solve problems that already exist or add enhancements gamers are actually asking for. It already drove me crazy that it took an extra 5-10 seconds to start AC3 every time because it was hitting Ubisoft's servers even for the singleplayer game (presumably for the pivots). What benefit did I get from that?

SixKeys
06-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Not to mention this feature will only function until Ubisoft gets bored with it and dumps it, just like Project Legacy. That game had options like buying landmarks in Rome through Facebook and leveling up your assassins so they'd be more powerful when you went back to the game. Now PL is dead and those options are gone. How long will new players be able to take advantage of AC4's connectivity features?

Kit572
06-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Not to mention this feature will only function until Ubisoft gets bored with it and dumps it, just like Project Legacy. That game had options like buying landmarks in Rome through Facebook and leveling up your assassins so they'd be more powerful when you went back to the game. Now PL is dead and those options are gone. How long will new players be able to take advantage of AC4's connectivity features?

I have a feeling this will have the same lifespan as Project Legacy. If they can make this good, then great. If not, oh well...

twenty_glyphs
06-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Excellent point. Games are getting to the point where if you aren't playing them within a few months of release, you're literally missing out on online features that the companies dump once a game's release cycle has run its course. Heaven forbid you can't or don't want to get a game until it's been out for 6 to 12 months and miss out on awesome online "connectivity".

TheOnlyEzio
06-11-2013, 05:04 PM
I like how the article emphasizes on the modern day "mysteries". Seriously, i don't want to hype myself up but things are looking good. If any of use can get into ac initiates, there a ton new data about what's going on in the modern day now.. i'd post it but don't think i can :\

stingray110
06-11-2013, 05:08 PM
To be honest, do I care in the end? Not really.

montagemik
06-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Me too. I just don't get the point. What problem is this solving, or what need is this fulfilling? Who is asking to be more "connected" to other people in their singleplayer games? Same with all the tablet "connectedness" as well. Do they really think I'm going to be holding a controller and using my tablet to do a lot of things on the side at the same time? I'm sure if it was done well where it was designed to work when you set the controller down and actually provide additional content or experiences, it could be cool. It all feels so gimmicky to me though.

It seems like everyone is just trying to find excuses to incorporate new technology into their games instead of using that technology to solve problems that already exist or add enhancements gamers are actually asking for. It already drove me crazy that it took an extra 5-10 seconds to start AC3 every time because it was hitting Ubisoft's servers even for the singleplayer game (presumably for the pivots). What benefit did I get from that?

Your 'Tablet' or I-Phone working as a Secondary Screen/monitor with permanently open 'MAP' or Weapon inventory Could be useful i suppose. But not essential .

montagemik
06-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Not to mention this feature will only function until Ubisoft gets bored with it and dumps it, just like Project Legacy. That game had options like buying landmarks in Rome through Facebook and leveling up your assassins so they'd be more powerful when you went back to the game. Now PL is dead and those options are gone.
How long will new players be able to take advantage of AC4's connectivity features?

For as long as they have friends who still own & play the game i'd say .

I find it funny TBH , some people buy earlier games like AC-B / AC-R & Then wonder why they can't find Multiplayer matches quickly. (years after release) .
As if the Multiplayer feature comes with guaranteed playerbase to play against just because it's a new purchase for them.

Games move on quickly - Connectivity options obviously drop quickly too.

Mr_Shade
06-11-2013, 05:30 PM

Personal opinion:

Gamers are VERY transient - very FEW games, have a hardcore following - that remains after a sequel - or even the next 'big' release comes along..

SixKeys
06-11-2013, 05:33 PM
For as long as they have friends who still own & play the game i'd say .

I find it funny TBH , some people buy earlier games like AC-B / AC-R & Then wonder why they can't find Multiplayer matches quickly. (years after release) .
As if the Multiplayer feature comes with guaranteed playerbase to play against just because it's a new purchase for them.

Project Legacy had features that supported sharing between friends and helping you boost each other in the main game. Now PL is dead and gone and so are its connectivity features. This new craze for smartphone apps seems like it has even less potential for a lasting experience. I predict the app will be useless 6 months after the game's release, around the time when most people will be looking into buying AC4 in a summer sale.

There are many games with strong multiplayer bases that stay active years afterwards. ACR came out 2 years ago - if Ubisoft actually cared about investing any effort into supporting the multiplayer modes, it might still be active. As it is, it's been broken since release and little has been done to fix any of the fans' complaints. AC3 is continuing the trend. THAT is the real reason AC multiplayer content has a short lifespan.

Mr_Shade
06-11-2013, 05:36 PM
There are many games with strong multiplayer bases that stay active years afterwards. Examples?

And don't forget we are talking console here..

[and no that's not a dig, just interested - I know the CoD guys run off asap ] lol

SixKeys
06-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Examples?

And don't forget we are talking console here..

[and no that's not a dig, just interested - I know the CoD guys run off asap ] lol

I don't know about console-exclusive games since I'm mostly a PC player. I don't know anything about console multiplayer bases and how loyal those tend to be. I would point to Left 4 Dead 2, RDR, Half-Life, Ultima Online, pretty much any Age of Empires and Halo 3 as examples.

ProletariatPleb
06-11-2013, 05:54 PM
FPS/RTS multiplayer always works out... haven't seen any TPS multiplayers working out for long.

Mr_Shade
06-11-2013, 05:58 PM
FPS/RTS multiplayer always works out... haven't seen any TPS multiplayers working out for long.
indeed.

Some people still play counter strike on PC.. Consoles, well there's very few games people still play online after 6 /8 months..

Cod is slightly different from the others - always seems they jump ship every game.. but some still go back to MW

Jexx21
06-11-2013, 08:19 PM
This doesn't sound like Project Legacy to me, this sounds like something that is in the game itself. It sort of sounds like an extension of the friends network you have in the MP but in SP and you can share things from single player and possibly even unlock secrets in the modern-day portion through sharing.