PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial gameplays analyzing and nitpicking (and posting) thread

Assassin_M
06-11-2013, 08:50 AM
So we saw the first demo, most likely just one of more to come...So, lets act like Scientists and study this lab rat, because quite frankly this needs a thread of its own...E3 threads will be cluttered and they`re not just for AC anyway...if mods see this as anti-productive, then lock it please...alright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A37l-y9WRPg

begin..

-Animation for upper sleeves
-EXTREMELY alive world
-Animals return
-blending apparently has an activity with it
-crouching

roostersrule2
06-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Not 100% sure but I think the wind effects on the foliage has been removed.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2013, 09:01 AM
-Animals return

You mean other than the birds? Where?

And as for crouching... I dunno, I think that may just be automatic when Edward exits a blending zone without entering high profile. If you notice, they were very careful not to show him crouching at will, it was always instigated by entering a blending zone.

AC2_alex
06-11-2013, 09:03 AM
I think the EXTREMELY alive world is more E3 demo smoke and mirrors. We saw super neat camps in the frontier during last year's demo, even with little stalls where you could trade with merchants. It seemed like the frontier in the final game should have been less empty based on what we saw at E3.

Unfortunately, I think the same will be true here. Maybe with next gen tech we might actually get more lively environments and more animated NPCs. But I am hoping for the best yet expecting the worst.

Assassin_M
06-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Not 100% sure but I think the wind effects on the foliage have been removed.
Nah still there..look closely

Assassin_M
06-11-2013, 09:05 AM
I think the EXTREMELY alive world is more E3 demo smoke and mirrors. We saw super neat camps in the frontier during last year's demo, even with little stalls where you could trade with merchants. It seemed like the frontier in the final game should have been less empty based on what we saw at E3.

Unfortunately, I think the same will be true here. Maybe with next gen tech we might actually get more lively environments and more animated NPCs. But I am hoping for the best yet expecting the worst.
No..no, this isn't what we think will or wont be in the final game, it`s just nitpicking at what we saw in the demo...this is exclusively closed to what we saw in the demo..(I know this most likely is smoke and mirrors :P)

You mean other than the birds? Where?

And as for crouching... I dunno, I think that may just be automatic when Edward exits a blending zone without entering high profile. If you notice, they were very careful not to show him crouching at will, it was always instigated by entering a blending zone.
Dem chickens :P

roostersrule2
06-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Also Blackbeard has holsters in the game, supporting characters are more detailed then the protagonist?

AC2_alex
06-11-2013, 09:09 AM
When Edward fires his flintlock pistol on the ship and just pauses.... does this signify a window of time in which the player can choose to chain four shots in a row? Like what we see earlier in the jungle?

Assassin_M
06-11-2013, 09:12 AM
When Edward fires his flintlock pistol on the ship and just pauses.... does this signify a window of time in which the player can choose to chain four shots in a row? Like what we see earlier in the jungle?
probably

shobhit7777777
06-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Underwhelmed

Otherwise it was a solid demo - cool stuff like a sneak mode and more immersive blending

Assassin's Creed is just not a very clever game anymore

AC2_alex
06-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Also the rope Edward swings down on... will the player know where they have this option? This is where having the UI up would be helpful.

Assassin_M
06-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Underwhelmed

Otherwise it was a solid demo - cool stuff like a sneak mode and more immersive blending

Was it ever clever?

LoyalACFan
06-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Also Blackbeard has holsters in the game, supporting characters are more detailed then the protagonist?

To be fair, Blackbeard's guns and holsters are probably just cosmetic, as opposed to Edward's, which would be swinging around as he runs, emptying when he draws a gun, etc. However, Eddie's chest guns wouldn't need be physics-enabled since they're strapped down pretty securely, and one wonders why they couldn't just borrow Connor's hip-holster design...

Oh well, I'm still pissed we're not getting holsters, it looks terrible. But what can you do...

AC2_alex
06-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Underwhelmed

Its not about being clever. For me, what makes Assassins Creed special to me is running along rooftops, climbing spectacular buildings, and infiltration. I love the iconic image of a hooded man on top of a huge building.

Legendz54
06-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Looks like we can choose to rope swing to the other ship if we climb up, hopefully we can do this to every ship.

shobhit7777777
06-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Was it ever clever?

Yup

-Overall mission design in AC1 was conducive to experimentation
-Borgia Towers and Templar Dens in ACB and ACR were fantastic playgrounds which allowed experimentation and a choice in approach - no to mention that the vast abilities and gadgets available to the player re-enforced this
-Navigational puzzles and using verticality in clever ways to infiltrate and attack

It had a small kernel of smarts......

Don't get me wrong - Black Flag will inherently be as clever as the previous titles....but fact is that the kernel has never really expanded into a seed.

The segment where Eddie follows the bad guy

Its the same pattern since AC1....move...dramatic stop...dramatic turn...simple, obvious blending not 2 feet away....WIN

I mean really?

AC1 caught flak because the activities were repetitive and unengaging......6 years down the line - Zilch improvement.

On the other hand I feel kinda bad...they've worked hard on the seamlessness of the world, the underwater exploits and all are major features....but the core Assassin experience, the on which keeps ME hooked...thats just stagnant.

This game is a member of the Ubisoft family

A family known for strong, innovative and cutting edge design - AC1, Watch_Dogs, Splinter Cell.....some of the most unique experiences out there. Yet Assassin's Creed fails as a franchise to grow in the areas where I feel it needs most improvement.

I guess I've got to come to terms with the fact that this is as deep as this game gets and just enjoy the gamey gamerson experience.

@AC2

Its not about being clever. For me, what makes Assassins Creed special to me is running along rooftops, climbing spectacular buildings, and infiltration. I love the iconic image of a hooded man on top of a huge building.

And fortunately for you, that is exactly what you're getting.

With the majority focused on cool stuff like ships, pirates and sharks....what incentive does Ubi have to actually fix something which isn't "Broken" in the popular sense?

I am looking for something deeper, more systemic and heavily improved....which to be fair to me, isn't a request beyond reason given that we are on the cusp of the next gen adn AC4 being the 5th game in the franchise....look at MGSV FFS

On a sidenote....I would appreciate an AC demo where it doesn't always end with explosions, gunfire and bombastic elements.

montagemik
06-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Underwhelmed

That's probably a good thing - Do you suppose the entire playerbase could handle 'a very clever' game - Cause there seems to be a few elements in AC series people actually struggle with after months of playing .

Assassin's Creche ;)

ACfan443
06-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Extremely alive? So was AC3's demo...that camp was SO alive in the real game - I can't really trust AC demos to be representative of the final game anymore.

I was underwhelmed when I first saw it. It was too short and not very impactive, and there wasn't a proper assassination either.
Most of the gameplay features we've already seen in AC3, there were a few nice additions. Then there were EXPLOSIONS, lots and lots of s'plosions. The explosion sequence reminded me too much of ACR's demo - which is something I'd rather not be reminded of tbh. The visuals were stunning, it looks beautiful no doubt about that.
Overall the demo was meh, and I'm not just jumping on the 'criticise everything about black flag' bandwagon - I genuinely disliked the demo.

But there's a positive that can be drawn from this, having a sub par minimal demo will keep expectations and hype to a minimum.

Assassin_M
06-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Yup

-Overall mission design in AC1 was conducive to experimentation
-Borgia Towers and Templar Dens in ACB and ACR were fantastic playgrounds which allowed experimentation and a choice in approach - no to mention that the vast abilities and gadgets available to the player re-enforced this
-Navigational puzzles and using verticality in clever ways to infiltrate and attack

It had a small kernel of smarts......

Don't get me wrong - Black Flag will inherently be as clever as the previous titles....but fact is that the kernel has never really expanded into a seed.

The segment where Eddie follows the bad guy

Its the same pattern since AC1....move...dramatic stop...dramatic turn...simple, obvious blending not 2 feet away....WIN

I mean really?

AC1 caught flak because the activities were repetitive and unengaging......6 years down the line - Zilch improvement.

On the other hand I feel kinda bad...they've worked hard on the seamlessness of the world, the underwater exploits and all are major features....but the core Assassin experience, the on which keeps ME hooked...thats just stagnant.

This game is a member of the Ubisoft family

A family known for strong, innovative and cutting edge design - AC1, Watch_Dogs, Splinter Cell.....some of the most unique experiences out there. Yet Assassin's Creed fails as a franchise to grow in the areas where I feel it needs most improvement.

I guess I've got to come to terms with the fact that this is as deep as this game gets and just enjoy the gamey gamerson experience.

I thought you meant AI :|

In that case agreed then

Assassin_M
06-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Extremely alive? So was AC3's demo...that camp was SO alive in the real game - I can't really trust AC demos to be representative of the final game anymore.
Here

No..no, this isn't what we think will or wont be in the final game, it`s just nitpicking at what we saw in the demo...this is exclusively closed to what we saw in the demo..(I know this most likely is smoke and mirrors :P)

Not the guy to talk to about this :|

ACfan443
06-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Here

Not the guy to talk to about this :|

I'd rather put all my feelings down about it. (just disregard the first bit)
I nitpicked for the most part.

shobhit7777777
06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I thought you meant AI :|

In that case agreed then

AI was always dumb....Would love an improvement in that as well

dxsxhxcx
06-11-2013, 12:29 PM
+ great atmosphere (comparable to AC1)

- no holsters;
- no turn on/off Hood option (assumption, but that'll probably be the case);
- explosions;
- IMO Edward stand out too much (I hope there's a skin without that brown leather/armor);

ProletariatPleb
06-11-2013, 12:44 PM
YES YES YES! About bloody time the damn foliage is actually foliage, screw you current gen because you you we had to hide in 2D 5 blades of grass and pretend it could be justified.

Naval combat seems more tense.

Seems like a good pirate game, dunno about AC game.

pacmanate
06-11-2013, 12:50 PM
All this interactive AI will probably not exist.

roostersrule2
06-11-2013, 12:51 PM
All this interactive AI will probably not exist.What is this AI you speak of?

pacmanate
06-11-2013, 12:55 PM
What is this AI you speak of?

The AI dancing with each other, chatting etc.

I hope the women slapping their arses stays in the game.

roostersrule2
06-11-2013, 12:57 PM
The AI dancing with each other, chatting etc.

I hope the women slapping their arses stays in the game.Oh I was kidding, I knew what you meant it just seems to be non-existent in AC, the AI in AC should just be called A because there is certainly no I. However I agree arse slapping should stay/

pacmanate
06-11-2013, 12:58 PM
I cant even describe the feeling when that woman bent over and was like *slap slap*, so inviting.

roostersrule2
06-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Not sure if this was known but Edward has some tattoo's.

Kit572
06-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Not sure if this was known but Edward has some tattoo's.

Nice... I like designing tattoos myself (Mostly for when I am giving my character tattoos in Bethesda games through modding), and am interested in seeing what the tattoos are like.

SixKeys
06-11-2013, 01:52 PM
I thought the facial models looked more reminiscent of ACR than AC3. A little more leathery and stiff. Especially if you look at the guy in the beginning who's getting knives thrown at him. He looks like Duccio in ACR.

I agree that the "alive" AI probably won't be the same in the final game. We saw much of the same liveliness in the AC3 demo.

The crouching looked fine in the jungle, but I wonder how it'll work in other areas. AC has always been about social stealth, acting normally when among other people. If Edward automatically crouches when entering any restricted area, that would make infiltrating forts and other areas populated with crowds silly.

Kit572
06-11-2013, 01:56 PM
The crouching looked fine in the jungle, but I wonder how it'll work in other areas. AC has always been about social stealth, acting normally when among other people. If Edward automatically crouches when entering any restricted area, that would make infiltrating forts and other areas populated with crowds silly.

I guess crouching is more for jungles, interiors, etc. while you have to use social stealth when in a populated area.