PDA

View Full Version : ACR gets a bad rap for no reason.

LoyalACFan
06-10-2013, 02:16 AM
Sure, it didn't add much in terms of gameplay mechanics, but Constantinople is way cooler than Rome, Desmond's interactions with Clay were great, the villains weren't as cheesy as ACB, and the story is legitimately pretty good, at least up until the "oh noes, I gots teh save Sofia" crap. Also, dat ending.

Come tomorrow, the forum's gonna be flooded with E3 stuff, so I might as well get this out of my system before all that.

Assassin_M
06-10-2013, 02:22 AM
Totally agreed, never really understood the hate for ACR...at least now people look at it more fondly (mostly due to AC III) than they did during release...

roostersrule2
06-10-2013, 02:25 AM
It was great, I have no idea why it's so hated it's my equal 2nd favourite AC game behind AC2 and with AC3. It has the best ending in the series, the best city in all the AC's, made us reconnect with Altair, the secondary cast was probably my favourite in all the AC's, I like it's multiplayer the best (although I only played AC3's for about an hour) and the soundtrack was great. My only faults were Den Defense and that it was pretty short and didn't have much replay value.

Shahkulu101
06-10-2013, 02:31 AM
Agreed, by far best ending and setting. The ending especially gives me high hopes for Black Flag considering the same writer, Darby Mcdevitt is writing it.

Megas_Doux
06-10-2013, 02:32 AM
Considering it was made within a year, it is a very solid game!

Constantinople is a piece of art, the soundtrack is great too, and is story is WAY better than ACB┤s....

Rugterwyper32
06-10-2013, 02:59 AM
Agreed. I recently replayed AC:R, and I honestly enjoyed the game a lot. A few times where mission design in questionable or the game feels too short, and some setpieces that are outright silly (PARACHUTE OVER CONSTANTINOPLE, THE ENTIRE CARRIAGE GLIDING) but the storyline is solid, the city is REALLY good (which is why I'm very hyped for Havana, for one) and the characters are rather solid. After dealing with Cesare, Ahmet was a really nice change of pace.

LoyalACFan
06-10-2013, 03:05 AM
the game feels too short, and some setpieces that are outright silly (PARACHUTE OVER CONSTANTINOPLE, THE ENTIRE CARRIAGE GLIDING)

These are honestly the weakest points of the game. It takes too long to really get started (but not nearly as long as AC3) making it feel kinda short, and the entire second half of Sequence 8 (everything between Ezio attacking the Arsenal and Selim showing up) is cringe-worthy. I'm also not a fan of some of Ezio's cartoony over-the-top sword kills. Overall though, I think it's a really solid game, sure as hell better than ACB.

Assassin_M
06-10-2013, 03:10 AM
Ahmet was a really nice change of pace.
Ahmet was so chill, i felt it in my controller...

"Haha such fury"

http://gyazo.com/a5c2b06195999de5e80aeae7e1390996.png

Shahkulu101
06-10-2013, 03:28 AM
Absolutely loved Ahmets speech to Ezio...it's along the lines of Ezio Auditore will rise from the dim light of civilization or something. Anyone care to jog my memory?

Assassin_M
06-10-2013, 03:32 AM
Absolutely loved Ahmets speech to Ezio...it's along the lines of Ezio Auditore will rise from the dim light of civilization or something. Anyone care to jog my memory?
"Of course, and when things fall apart and the lights of civilization dim, Ezio Auditore can stand atop the darkness and say I stayed true to my creeeeed"

magnificent, compare that to Cesare...

"GUARDS"

Shahkulu101
06-10-2013, 03:40 AM
"Of course, and when things fall apart and the lights of civilization dim, Ezio Auditore can stand atop the darkness and say I stayed true to my creeeeed"

magnificent, compare that to Cesare...

"GUARDS"

Thanks a bunch, people still argue that BH was better story-wise than Rev :|
Darby Mc. >>>>>Jeffery Yolahelm.

Assassin_M
06-10-2013, 03:43 AM
Thanks a bunch, people still argue that BH was better story-wise than Rev :|
Darby Mc. >>>>>Jeffery Yolahelm.
Ahh people can think how they like...I can`t fathom how anyone can prefer Rome over Constantinople, but hey...perspectives and tastes

monster_rambo
06-10-2013, 03:43 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't hate ACR if they release as a DLC. But as a stand alone game, come on, it barely lasts more than 6 hours for 100% completion.

In fact, ACB and ACR should have been just expansions of ACII.

roostersrule2
06-10-2013, 03:44 AM
Ahh people can think how they like...I can`t fathom how anyone can prefer Rome over Constantinople, but hey...perspectives and tastesThat's good because Connor is a jerk ;).

Assassin_M
06-10-2013, 03:45 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't hate ACR if they release as a DLC. But as a stand alone game, come on, it barely lasts more than 6 hours for 100% completion.

It`s impressive for less than a year of work...

roostersrule2
06-10-2013, 03:46 AM

In fact, ACB and ACR should have been just expansions of ACII.I'd prefer it if ACB and ACR were one game.

monster_rambo
06-10-2013, 03:48 AM
I'd prefer it if ACB and ACR were one game.

Exactly, they felt really similar and part of the same storyline. There are some good innovations and give or take, the multiplayer was decent. I thought ACB, even though to me was kind of ****, it had the best gameplay out of the Ezio trilogy. ACR had the best story if you exclude that first person Desmond ******* element. Yes, either combined these two as one standalone or like an expansion. But as a brand new game, I expect some big leap forward instead of taking a couple steps back.

monster_rambo
06-10-2013, 03:50 AM
It`s impressive for less than a year of work...

It's okay, the story was done well. But probably not worth $70.

Shahkulu101
06-10-2013, 03:51 AM
I'd prefer it if ACB and ACR were one game.

That would be weird though. Having an Assassin within two different cultures, two templar branches(Borgia and Byzantines) and it would be two long Imo with around 16 or so sequences.

Assassin_M
06-10-2013, 03:53 AM
It's okay, the story was done well. But probably not worth $70.
You got ripped off...got mine for less than $50 (it`s usually 60, but I got it late)

Also, no..not "okay"

monster_rambo
06-10-2013, 03:54 AM
You got ripped off...got mine for less than $50 (it`s usually 60, but I got it late)

Also, no..not "okay"

Yes I did get ripped off but it is "okay". My opinion.

Assassin_M
06-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Yes I did get ripped off but it is "okay". My opinion.
Your opinion sucks :|

i`m ironic like that

Megas_Doux
06-10-2013, 04:09 AM

I would prefer if ACB were a DLC containing the destruction of the village, da vinci┤s manchines missions and the Pax romana assassination, only........

Shahkulu101
06-10-2013, 04:19 AM
I bought ten copies of each edition to store in my sex dunge--I mean my parents basement.

stingray110
06-10-2013, 09:35 AM
ACR was quite good to be honest, i would probably say that this is my favourite AC due to the location and then AC1 because i like Oriental architecture. Constantinople was just amazing. Literally the best city i have ever played, it was vibrant, colourful and fun. I only wished that they dedicated a proper game to it, they did not do that city justice in terms of gameplay and story.

Locopells
06-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Interesting, this is the second time recently that this has come up - and I have to say I agree. ACR is actually a very unique game in terms of setting, as well.

I never get all the hate for the Borgia either - the fact that they are out and out villains is the whole point. According to the files in ACR's multiplayer, their time in control of the Templars is seen as a period where they lost thier way, with the Borgias abandoning the Templar Order's principles and goals in pursuit of personal gain. Of course they're gonna be a bit cheesy, they're the sort that laid down the stereotype in the first place!

shobhit7777777
06-10-2013, 09:48 AM
ACR is my fav game in the franchise...tied with AC1

Thanks to ACIII...I appreciate what made the game special

That said

ACR exemplified the trend the franchise was taking towards over the top cinematic BS with an emphasis on style over substance which was evident with some of the mission design.....it also got me riled up because there were no legitimate advances in the basic gameplay systems (which in hindsight was asking for too much for a game with a 1 year dev cycle)

But after playing AC3....I realized so many things I took for granted and that ACR did right. ACR preserved the AC sandbox.

AC3 is the peak of crappy design in the franchise.

I ranted and raged more over ACB than ACR....but even that game was excused in light of the things it did right.

Assassin_M
06-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Interesting, this is the second time recently that this has come up - and I have to say I agree. ACR is actually a very unique game in terms of setting, as well.

I never get all the hate for the Borgia either - the fact that they are out and out villains is the whole point. According to the files in ACR's multiplayer, their time in control of the Templars is seen as a period where they lost thier way, with the Borgias abandoning the Templar Order's principles and goals in pursuit of personal gain. Of course they're gonna be a bit cheesy, they're the sort that laid down the stereotype in the first place!
It`s not them being cheesy, it`s how EVERYONE was evil...EVERYONE was inherently evil...i`d be fine if it`s just Rodrigo, but EVERYONE?? Francisco and the Pazzis are fine too, but why not have a more colorful cast of villains?? AT LEAST ONE, you know?? one who truly wants peace...the ONLY questionable target in AC II had the brain of a child...i.e special mental case...yeah...that`s right

and the issue with Cesare was not him being evil, but because of his COMPLETE incompetence..the trailers made him out as this equal rival to Ezio whom he respected as a powerful nemesis, he was also a brilliant general historically...in the game?? His respect for Ezio is near Duccio levels and his strategy was "GUARDS"

Locopells
06-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Well Rodrigo isn't gonna have anyone work for him, who's likely to derail his plans, is he?

As for the second point - I'll take that, although in fairness I must point out the only time's we really fight him are surprise attacks when either he's recovering from being poisoned and not really up to fighting himself, or when all his strategy is focused on the siege he's directing, so just yelling for the nearest guards isn't completely unacceptable...

MasterAssasin84
06-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I really loved listening to Ezio's letters he wrote to Claudia..

Why people hated ACR is totaly beyond me, granted there was some gamplay elements that could have been done a bit better but i absolutely love Revelations.

Assassin_M
06-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Well Rodrigo isn't gonna have anyone work for him, who's likely to derail his plans, is he?
How is a Templar simply wanting peace, still wanting control, be derailing his plans?? He`d still be all in it for control, but something like Pitcairn would`v sufficed...

As for the second point - I'll take that, although in fairness I must point out the only time's we really fight him are surprise attacks when either he's recovering from being poisoned and not really up to fighting himself, or when all his strategy is focused on the siege he's directing, so just yelling for the nearest guards isn't completely unacceptable...
It`s unacceptable when they have a face to face fight with Cesare fine and Cesare still calls for guards :|

Locopells
06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Because one just wanting peace might well be a problem later on, once Rodrigo had control - I know it's not a strong point, but you get the idea.

Well you know what they say about cheaters...

Assassin_M
06-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Because one just wanting peace might well be a problem later on, once Rodrigo had control - I know it's not a strong point, but you get the idea.

Well you know what they say about cheaters...
Well then show Rodrigo killing him or something...something to show that there CAN be sincere Templars...even if it`s just one

It`s also not cheating...it`s team work :|

TheHumanTowel
06-10-2013, 11:54 AM
It adds absolutely nothing to the overall story and in fact makes it worse. Revealing that idiotic plot point that Altair kept the apple in Masayf and only pretended he hid it in Cyprus. Hell of a coincidence there just happened to be another apple there. S16 suddenly becoming a completely different person from the one in the glyphs. Absolutely no important plot points from previous games are addressed, Desmond doesn't think to ask 16 about those cryptic messages he's been leaving for him (so forgetful that Desmond).

Lucy is not addressed at all. This was a huge development in the last game and ACR decides it would be better if that plot point is forgotten and instead if we want resolution to it we have to buy a separate dlc pack. Absolutely disgraceful. And this has knock-on effects for the next game because they obviously couldn't make a massive plot point out of something they decided was unimportant enough to make it optional dlc. So the Lucy plot is again completely brushed off in AC3.

The ending of ACR is laughable. From the horrendously bad cgi cutscene (I thought I was playing a PS2 game from 2003 for a second) to Jupiter's revelations being having AC2's ending repeated to Desmond. There's some nice moments between Ezio and Desmond but it's just out-weighed by how bad everything else is. I honestly think the "Revelations" title was supposed to be ironic. It's the only thing that could explain this.

The gameplay formula is the exact same as the last 2 games except this time there's a lot less side-missions to do! Ezio's story is unfocused and meandering punctuated by ridiculously over the top action sequences like blowing up an entire harbour and blowing up an entire city. And of course the parachute mission which ends with a slow-mo fight while falling. Still the worst AC mission ever.

Only good thing is Constantinople. ACR brings nothing new to the table while doing everything worse than past games and messing up the series' story.

avk111
06-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Reason I love ACR, is because Ezio now is at the Level that reminds me of Al Mualim,

Can you guys remember how established Al Mualim was , he was a commander of a whole Army of Assassins and the gatekeeper, for some reason I find that status highly appealing,

We never did feel it with Altair except for a brief moment when replaying his memories, but other than your playing Ezio the whole time on a skill and experience level of that of a Mentor,

can you guys feel the depth in this ? its like me telling you you will be playing as the high commander of the Star Trek fleet, except that were dealing with a highly secret organization that have controlled human history for over a millenia ., not to mention he was a spoiled brat back in the days hehe.

twenty_glyphs
06-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Revelations wasn't bad, but it was very disappointing for me. For starters, there were no "revelations" about the story in the game that answered any important questions that Brotherhood had left hanging. That was laughable considering that's a point they talked up over and over. Subject 16 was a huge disappointment. He went from this crazy guy trying to help Desmond to just an average jerk who seemed to resent Desmond. The fact that Desmond conveniently forgot to ask him about all his cryptic messages and what was really going on was inexcusable to me. Desmond's trip down memory lane through a first-person perspective was pointless and boring. We already knew his backstory, and there was nothing that interesting to it. That they chose to focus on that instead of Subject 16's Lost Archive story (which wasn't as great as I expected either) is laughable.

Constantinople was a nice setting and I did enjoy the city a lot. It was under-used within the game itself though, so I never felt the same level of connection to it as Rome or Florence/Venice. It was nice to revisit Masyaf, but it was disappointingly under-used and not a free-roam location. Cappadocia was underwhelming despite being an interesting concept.

A lot of things about the game feel unfinished. The side faction missions were clearly cut from the game, because each faction only had one mission. You collect those Animus Data Fragments that have no story explanation, they just conveniently unlock the Desmond first-person sequences. You collect Ishak Pasha's memoir pages on top of towers, but there is no memoir to actually read. I'm betting that was going to be like Alta´r's Codex or the Scrolls of Romulus with an interesting story. Then when you find all the pages and get Ishak Pasha's armor, there's absolutely no story context for it. Who was this guy? What did he do for the Assassins? Why is his armor special? The game doesn't take the time to tell you.

Revelations was also the buggiest AC game before AC3 leap-frogged it in a major way. The soundtrack was nice, but the audio was buggy as heck. Lorne Balfe's tracks were all really loud and Jesper Kyd's were too quiet. The volume slider didn't work for music. The ambient music stopped playing after the story. There were guards that couldn't be killed in the city. Templar tax collectors almost never appeared. They managed to break the 20-minute bank deposits that worked fine in Brotherhood.

There was a lot to like about Revelations. It had a good story concept with Desmond in a coma and Ezio learning about Alta´r by finding the memory seals. The setting in Constantinople was a great idea. If they had real story payoff with Subject 16 and Alta´r's story, it could have been a great story. And unfortunately, the technical aspects of the project never quite came together either. I have yet to replay the game, but I will when I get past the disappointment of the last 2 games some more. I'm sure there will be a lot to like when I revisit Revelations.

Sushiglutton
06-10-2013, 07:22 PM
The creative director did a horrendous job on AC:R imo. Repeated a lot of features that should have been thrown in the garbage bin and introduced really low quality new ones that didn't belong in the franchise at all. Meh I'm too tired to go into details (have done so a few times before :) ), but AC:R deserves the criticism it gets imo.

Jexx21
06-11-2013, 02:27 AM
I wonder if people will remember AC3 fondly if AC4 ends up like ACR/AC3 at release?

LoyalACFan
06-11-2013, 04:03 AM
I wonder if people will remember AC3 fondly if AC4 ends up like ACR/AC3 at release?

Even if it's the greatest game ever created, people will still do that. It's just how people are. They remember the past through rose-colored glasses.

Soulid_Snake
06-11-2013, 04:25 AM
The stick it gets is unfair. Story was weak, gameplay wise it evolved alot. Hookblade was awesome, as you swing across larger gaps, vertical navigation was made more easy, evasive maneuvers against guards, and you could use it with a zipline, it was absolute genius.