PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed series graphics comparison

Wolfmeister1010
06-05-2013, 11:21 PM
A Graphics Comparison between all of the AC games

Categories: Animation, character models, environmental feel, textures, lighting, overall gameplay graphics, overall cutscene graphics.

Animation-

AC1: good animation for its time, nothing good or bad to say.

AC2: slightly better than AC1.

ACB: a lot better than AC2.

ACR: exactly the same as ACB.

AC3: complete overhaul, best of the series so far.

Character Models-

AC1: very good, slightly ahead of its time.

AC2: not as good as AC1, not as sharp.

ACB: very good, better than AC1.

ACR: Exactly the same as ACB.

AC3: a lot better than all others.

Environmental feel-

AC1: best in the series. Very musty, hostile, and dark feel to the cities.

AC2: fuzzier, more colorful, romanticized, better than AC1 if you prefer that style.

ACB: Rome not as appealing as cities in AC2, a slight worse feel.

ACR: blends AC2 colorfulness with AC1 dusty feel. Does not work. Worse than ACB.

AC3: somewhere in between AC1 and AC2 in terms of colorfulness vs musty dark feel. On par if not slightly worse than AC1.

Textures-

AC1: unbelievably advanced for its time.

AC2: worst in the series, very fuzzy*

ACB: slightly worse than AC1.

ACR: exactly the same as ACB.

AC3: on par with AC1.

Lighting-

AC1: possibly best in the series. Unbelievable for its time. Perfectly blending shadows add to dark, realistic feel.

AC2: awful in all parts except in Venice. Shadows too sharp.

AC3: same as AC2.

ACR: same as before, maybe a little better.

AC3: getting there, but not quite as good as AC1.

Overall gameplay graphics:

AC1: arguably best in series, amazing how 2007 has better lighting, textures, and design style than most of the recent ones. Decent animations

AC2: fuzzy, bad lighting, like a painting. Better animations than AC1.

ACB: better animations and keeps AC2 color while making it much sharper.

ACR: too sharp. A departure from ACB. Animations Stay exactly the same.

AC3: better than AC1. Best animations in the series. But falls slightly behind AC1's feel.

Overall Cutscene Graphics

AC1: awful. Choppy movements and horrible mouth animations.

AC2: better, but kinda unrealistic.

ACB: way better than AC2.

ACR: a lot better than ACB. Overhauls on cutscene lighting, shadows, and shine of armor and shiny objects.

AC3: best in the series. Unbelievably good eyes and realistic movement and animation.

Winner of Graphics: tie between AC1 and AC3.

It still is remarkable how AC1 can be on par with a game made 5 years later. AC3 is way better on things like animations, character models, and slightly better with textures. AC1 has the best lighting of the series and does remarkably well with giving a good feel for the time period. The dark, musty feel of the cities and Masyaf reflect the middle ages and bloody conflicts extraordinarily well.

If AC4 wants to have he best graphics in the game, it will have to focus more on improving lighting and shadows, and bringing back the gritty feel of AC1 in the chaotic cities, while bring a lush and tropical feel to the jungles and high seas. It doesn't need to be as washed out as AC1, but the cities have gotten a little too colorful, and need to be grittier.

Rugterwyper32
06-05-2013, 11:31 PM
I'd say Assassin's Creed 3. Animation in AC3 is beautiful, and while in a few elements it's not as good as AC1 (lighting and view distance, mainly) it keeps some pretty good quality consistently. AC1 also has the advantage of the setting being more impressive, but I like noticing the smaller details in AC3.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-06-2013, 01:57 AM
how is this even a question -_-
The only game that passes its later release in beauty is uncharted 2 and god of war 3....

BATISTABUS
06-06-2013, 02:21 AM
It's honestly a tie between AC3 and AC1 for me. AC1 has lighting, but AC3 has amazing facial animations.

roostersrule2
06-06-2013, 02:43 AM
I like ACR's and AC3's the best.

A.R.T.H
06-06-2013, 03:50 AM
Assassin's Creed 3 has great visual and runs a lot smoother compared to any Assassin's Creed

ACfan443
06-06-2013, 09:08 AM
I was hoping there would be some comparison images.
AC3 looks the best, followed by AC1

bveUSbve
06-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Revelations had the best graphics so far. (In stereoscopic 3D)
ACIII had the worst graphics so far. (In stereoscopic 3D)

x___Luffy___x
06-06-2013, 12:38 PM
AC 1 and AC3 .

MasterAssasin84
06-06-2013, 12:42 PM
It has to be AC2 because the cities like Venice and Florence was just stunningly beautiful and very captivating and AC3 facial animations and i also loved the weather effects and the lush open space of the frontier !

ProletariatPleb
06-06-2013, 01:00 PM
It has to be AC2 because the cities like Venice and Florence was just stunningly beautiful and very captivating and AC3 facial animations and i also loved the weather effects and the lush open space of the frontier !
On the contrary..... AC2 has the worst graphics, lol

MasterAssasin84
06-06-2013, 01:02 PM
On the contrary..... AC2 has the worst graphics, lol

I dont they did i actualy liked AC2's graphics.

ProletariatPleb
06-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Uh..what?

MasterAssasin84
06-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Uh..what?

Sorry i ment to say that i though AC2's graphics was good .

I am at work so forgive me if i am typing fast i am on a work computer so i am using the forums whilst evading my huge workload lol !

Bastiaen
06-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Graphics =/= color palette. I like the darker, grittier, washed out colors in AC1, ACB, and AC3, but I still love the vibrant colors of AC2, ACR and AC4. AC2 had by far the worst graphics in the series. It was still a beautiful game, but many of the character models were absolutely ugly, plus it began the horrible trend of no sheaths.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-06-2013, 05:22 PM

I liked them too, doesnt make them great though
I may be the only one with this feeling buuut, I actually believe AC 3 will be more beautiful than AC 4 even including the ps4 version
I think AC 4 will look like ACB graphics wise

ACfan443
06-06-2013, 05:29 PM
I liked them too, doesnt make them great though
I may be the only one with this feeling buuut, I actually believe AC 3 will be more beautiful than AC 4 even including the ps4 version
I think AC 4 will look like ACB graphics wise

The AC:BF compressed as hell trailers with pre alpha footage look 10x better than ACB.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-06-2013, 06:42 PM
The AC:BF compressed as hell trailers with pre alpha footage look 10x better than ACB.
We havent actually really seen the game in action though..im hoping it surpasses AC 3 with visuals..i jsut have a strange feeling it wont (Refer to Bastiaen's signature or the image of him and black beard together)
So far I have not at all been impressed.

ProletariatPleb
06-06-2013, 06:44 PM
We havent actually really seen the game in action though..im hoping it surpasses AC 3 with visuals..i jsut have a strange feeling it wont (Refer to Bastiaen's signature or the image of him and black beard together)
So far I have not at all been impressed.
........might I remind you that AC3 looked like absolute garbage in the beginning as well but the final was good.

ACfan443
06-06-2013, 07:09 PM
We havent actually really seen the game in action though...

So all the in game footage in the trailers doesn't count? Not exactly a full demo, but a glimpse of the visuals nonetheless, and it looks great. And yes, as mentioned AC3's graphics looked pretty sub par at this stage as well, but the final game turned out to look great.

http://youtu.be/EiVJG_mrtFo

STDlyMcStudpants
06-06-2013, 08:29 PM
i get the point ;D

BATISTABUS
06-06-2013, 09:40 PM
AC:R had really good art direction, but I hate the way the Altair bits looked.