PDA

View Full Version : How can Edward a pirate be an Assassin since they've different ideology?

salman147
06-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Assassin's seek peace,freedom,order and stability.Pirates seek chaos,money,riches and destroy peace by looting and murdering causing chaos and disorder.So,how does Edward a pirate(At first a privateer) become an assassin at the same time.He's siding with two opposites.I mean,he's siding with the bad guys and the good guys.How's that possible?An assassin can't become a pirate as their aims are opposite.

MasterAssasin84
06-04-2013, 03:36 PM
These are going to be adressed in the game. its all part of Edwards Character and how is Assassin and Pirate identitiy is going to clash ! Darby has stated that this inner conflict will be reflected in the game.

Edward is a kind of anti hero so to speak which is what i am really interested in seeing as how his comitment to his crew and the Assassins Creed will be displayed and how he will choose to uphold these values wether he is a Pirate or an Assassin.

salman147
06-04-2013, 03:54 PM
I know that in the end he'll be an assassin.That means at one point he'll fight against Blackbeard and that means he'll be there during 'Anne Queens revenge' when the world's largest pirate ship gets blown up after it launches a heavy attack.I suppose Edward will do that.

MasterAssasin84
06-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Wait and till you play the game dude :)

But from a story perspective Pirates stand embrace Freedom which is one of the very foundations of the Assassins Creed so there are similarities there just in a different perspective ( for an Assassin ) .

The Pirates wanted to establish their own government and govern themselves but the Tempars are threatening to dismantle everything they built ! so there is the Assassin and Templar war.

Until the game is released we dont know who will turn on each other.

pacmanate
06-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Part of the story. I am guessing they see his potential at being a killer and say he will get loads of money :p Hes like a prostitute, but of the killing kind with various contracts at once.

MasterAssasin84
06-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Part of the story. I am guessing they see his potential at being a killer and say he will get loads of money :p Hes like a prostitute, but of the killing kind with various contracts at once.

Yeah and speaking of Contracts without digressing off topic if the dev team are considering briging back Assassination contracts then please for the sake of cheese present them with a decent mission structure rather than " Thank you sir " off trots Connor to kill some random dude strutting up and down with a musket on his shoulder !

Just thought i would bring that up lol !!

salman147
06-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Edward can't outperform Ezio no matter how charming he is.Cos' Ezio's modest and Edward is the opposite:rude,brash,rebellious and virile.
Has anybody realized that Assassin's Creed story is moving away from Assassins-Templars focus?In AC3 the story was more of a virtual historical trip of the war of Liberation and less ffocused of Assassins creed.Connor never swore his creed(Nothing is true everything is permitted).His only creed is:My people come first,my village's safety is all that matters(no matter how stupid they're),burn my village and I slit your throat.......etc.

x___Luffy___x
06-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Yeah and speaking of Contracts without digressing off topic if the dev team are considering briging back Assassination contracts then please for the sake of cheese present them with a decent mission structure rather than " Thank you sir " off trots Connor to kill some random dude strutting up and down with a musket on his shoulder !

Just thought i would bring that up lol !!

:D

yeah it was hilarious , killing some random dudes strolling.

pacmanate
06-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Edward can't outperform Ezio no matter how charming he is.Cos' Ezio's modest and Edward is the opposite:rude,brash,rebellious and virile.
Has anybody realized that Assassin's Creed story is moving away from Assassins-Templars focus?In AC3 the story was more of a virtual historical trip of the war of Liberation and less ffocused of Assassins creed.Connor never swore his creed(Nothing is true everything is permitted).His only creed is:My people come first,my village's safety is all that matters(no matter how stupid they're),burn my village and I slit your throat.......etc.

Some woman might want a rough man.

silvermercy
06-04-2013, 06:47 PM
We don't know how he will be by the end of the game as he becomes more and more assassin-like though.
(btw, I didn't find Ezio very modest. lol)

silvermercy
06-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Hmm... anyone think Edward might meet a Templar "recruiter" around the same time he meets the assassin "recruiter"?
Not knowing which way to follow?

BATISTABUS
06-04-2013, 08:02 PM

Has anybody realized that Assassin's Creed story is moving away from Assassins-Templars focus?In AC3 the story was more of a virtual historical trip of the war of Liberation and less ffocused of Assassins creed.

Connor never swore his creed(Nothing is true everything is permitted).

His only creed is:My people come first,my village's safety is all that matters(no matter how stupid they're),burn my village and I slit your throat.......etc.
What does that have anything to do with effectiveness, character complexity, or likability? Edward could easily be a lovable son-of-a-*****.

AC3 had better Templars than AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations combined.

Connor is just as much an Assassin as Ezio or Altair. Achilles never had Connor repeat those sayings constantly for the same reason he didn't give Connor a traditional Assassin's ceremony; because it's cheesy, superfluous, and doesn't further your ability to fight for the greater good. That is more of a reflection of their personalities than their dedication to the Creed.

No matter how stupid they are? What are you talking about? The Assassin's duty is to protect people, and the Natives are in much worse of a position than any of the colonists (believe it or not). Do you really need more of an explanation as to why he wants to protect them above others? They're his family and part of his identity.

ze_topazio
06-04-2013, 09:33 PM
I don't see the problem, Giovanni was a banker.

Assassin_M
06-04-2013, 09:41 PM
How's that possible?An assassin can't become a pirate as their aims are opposite.
That`s the question the game will answer...it`s the main theme of the narrative...a divided individual..

Assassin_M
06-04-2013, 09:42 PM
They're his family and part of his identity.
No idea why it was okay for Ezio to do crazy **** for his family, but it`s not okay for Connor and it automatically becomes "whining" about his people

AC2_alex
06-05-2013, 01:49 AM
Edward sounds like an interesting character because of this conflict. I hope the supporting cast is colorful and memorable. They have a lot of potential to make great characters out of these infamous figures.

titan3239
06-05-2013, 03:21 AM
So far Edward reminds me of the Gregory House from the TV show House.

Megas_Doux
06-05-2013, 03:29 AM
I do not see a problem with a transition from:

Pirates = anarchy to Assassins = Freedom...

AC2_alex
06-05-2013, 03:33 AM
So far Edward reminds me of the Gregory House from the TV show House.

I would be overjoyed if this was the reality. Unfortunately, I think he'll be more of a young hot shot than a cynical and sarcastic genius.

titan3239
06-05-2013, 03:55 AM
I would be overjoyed if this was the reality. Unfortunately, I think he'll be more of a young hot shot than a cynical and sarcastic genius.

Agreed. Probably just wishful thinking on my part. A character like House is just very rare to find on TV, or in movies, and video games.

montagemik
06-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Hmm... anyone think Edward might meet a Templar "recruiter" around the same time he meets the assassin "recruiter"?
Not knowing which way to follow?

Nah, i'm thinking Edward's recruited by Assassin's , Blackbeard's working for the Templars - lots of conflict between Assassin/Templar /Pirate agendas. Makes edward question a few beliefs & motives along the way.

(maybe)

Farlander1991
06-05-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm pretty sure there will be Templars among pirates. Not sure about it being Blackbeard, though. Judging by the trailers and info we've got, they will have somewhat of a close friendship dynamic, and it just seems to me that Assassin/Templar friend dynamic is too close to the Templar father/Assassin son dynamic we had in AC3, and therefore not really desirable. Maybe that's just me.

Although... actually, if they make some kind of inversion subversion on such a dynamic... for example, Edward tries to actually SAVE Blackbeard in 1718 (instead of killing) therefore putting their own personal friendship and the common goal of a free pirate republic above the Assassin/Templar allegiance, it would be a nice opposite counter-part to the AC3 Templar/Assassin dynamic, where, in the end, both parties were too convinced in their own ideology that they couldn't put their relationship above them.

montagemik
06-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Although... actually, if they make some kind of inversion subversion on such a dynamic... for example, Edward tries to actually SAVE Blackbeard in 1718 (instead of killing) therefore putting their own personal friendship and the common goal of a free pirate republic above the Assassin/Templar allegiance, it would be a nice opposite counter-part to the AC3 Templar/Assassin dynamic, where, in the end, both parties were too convinced in their own ideology that they couldn't put their relationship above them.

That's pretty much what i'm suggesting , To begin with (maybe for years) Edward / Blackbeard are friends , but each has no idea of the other's connection to templars/assassin's until some point in the story - forcing a showdown.
Mirroring the similar goals /opposing methods between Connor/Haytham, .

Megas_Doux
06-05-2013, 03:06 PM
That's pretty much what i'm suggesting , To begin with (maybe for years) Edward / Blackbeard are friends , but each has no idea of the other's connection to templars/assassin's until some point in the story - forcing a showdown.

I see Benjamin Hornigold taking that role instead of Blackbeard! After all, Hornigold was a "master pirate" who later in his life turned into a hunter of its former kin. even check out his "outcome".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Hornigold :

"In late 1719 Hornigold's ship was caught in a hurricane somewhere between New Providence and Mexico, and was wrecked on an uncharted reef. The incident is referred to in the contemporary account A General History of the Pyrates by Captain Charles Johnson, which states "in one of which voyages ... Captain Hornigold, another of the famous pirates, was cast away upon rocks, a great way from land, and perished, but five of his men got into a canoe and were saved. The specific location of the reef remains unknown"

montagemik
06-05-2013, 03:20 PM
I see Benjamin Hornigold with that role instead of Blackbeard.....

I think there'll be a fair amount of double crossing , double agendas at play within the story - Hornigold could be a templar , Blackbeard could simply have his own deal for immunity from Templar control or threat against the pirate republic (actually just being strung along by templars).
Loads of potential for lots of backstabbing & misplacing of blame between friends / allies & enemies alike.

Easy to understand how Edward may become cynical & pack the pirate life in .

Farlander1991
06-05-2013, 03:27 PM

Well, see, you say 'forcing a showdown', I think we've already went through that route with Connor/Haytham, what I'm talking about is, in fact, an absence of a showdown between the two.

montagemik
06-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Well, see, you say 'forcing a showdown', I think we've already went through that route with Connor/Haytham, what I'm talking about is, in fact, an absence of a showdown between the two.

mmm maybe , Just can't shake the image of Barbosa swashbuckling with Jack Sparrow over the aztec treasure - it's almost too cliche to not be referenced. (this IS AC of the carribbean)
i'm for Edward kills Blackbeard TBH.

Farlander1991
06-05-2013, 03:46 PM
mmm maybe , Just can't shake the image of Barbosa swashbuckling with Jack Sparrow over the aztec treasure - it's almost too cliche to not be referenced. (this IS AC of the carribbean)
i'm for Edward kills Blackbeard TBH.

Yeah, I can see that, and it may work. But, as I said, I just think that that way the dynamic will be too similar to Connor/Haytham.
Plus, this whole situation with Blackbeard (especially if Blackbeard is a Templar) could open up ways to interesting questions like, what it means to be an Assassin or a Templar if you're on the same side achieving the same goal (more so considering that 1718 is like first third of the game's timespan, I don't think Edward will take full responsibilities of Assassin duties, and both him and Blackbeard essentially strive for the same, do they not?).
But at this point it's all just pure speculation, we'll see how it goes :)

salman147
06-07-2013, 10:59 AM
We don't know how he will be by the end of the game as he becomes more and more assassin-like though.
(btw, I didn't find Ezio very modest. lol)

I mean he's more modest than Edward.