PDA

View Full Version : Bad Performance or Bad Coding?

Bad213Boy
05-30-2013, 06:49 PM
I've done quite a bit of reading about the new Haswell processor coming out in a few days now. I started looking at all the benchmarks for SQL and how the new Haswell will definitely help the gaming world in the future. I 've my share of posts and threads with regards to how terrible their performance is when playing in certain areas of the game. Some people blame result because the game was ported to console. I have a feeling this isn't entirely true.

Benchmarks show that this game is heavily CPU dependent. Do you're research and you'll see that a quad core CPU will run the first core at max load. The remaining 3 cores are working, but barely. I read an article that Ubisoft was putting a lot of work in trying to optimize the game for the PC. I believe this is true, but I believe this game isn't meant for any of the processors out in today's market. I believe this game was optimized to run on Windows 8 with the new Haswell processor. I think you might see almost double FPS on a Haswell processor. Why do I believe this?

You have to understand that the more cores you have, the threads you need to keep the cores busy. The problem with more threads is that when you have software that needs a lot of threads, it can actually cause worse performance. When all cores are working, each core offers only 60% of the performance of a single thread. You can find this info at AnandTech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6290/making-sense-of-intel-haswell-transactional-synchronization-extensions) if you really want to. This is the result of coding. It's not wrong coding, it's just how it is. Each thread taking on a task has to be locked and unlocked before being released. This causes a bottle neck and results in your cores actually waiting for information. The Haswell will actually help fix this problem by putting coding onto the processor. It will even change the coding automatically to help optimize work loads.

Why would Ubisoft optimize something that probably designed for future hardware. The idea is to make it easier for future game releases. So the idea that Ubisoft was going to do anything to help today's consumers was mute. Why optimize something old when you can optimize the future. PC gaming is an expensive hobby if you haven't figured that out by now.

I feel the problem lies with developers using misleading information like the Minimum and Recommended Systems required to run this game. I have a Core 2 Quad Q9659 overclocked to it's max at 4.5GHz and Tri-SLI GTX 470 video cards. According to games specs, I should be fine. The problem most people are having is that when you are in certain areas of the game, like Boston, FPS can drop to around 25 FPS. That's unacceptable IMO. Now if I were to run this game using even the Recommended Systems specs, would I drop down to 18 FPS? IMO, this should be the minimum requirement. Recommended hardware should be able to run the game flawlessly without lag.

I think in the future, we'll finally see a more steady FPS due to the new technology put in the Haswell design. Each core should be able share more and more information together and cause less bottlenecks. Silent killer bottlenecks Intel never new without trial and error on new CPU designs. Personally, I don't think AMD gamers will be very disappointed when they start seeing more and more games becoming CPU dependent. Intel is getting so far ahead of the game that don't even have to create a processor to compete with ARMs. They're own processors will be a no brainer to put in small devices like tablets and phones. I almost feel sorry for AMD, lol.

TheLeoCrow
05-31-2013, 03:45 PM
And yet, there are people who do have good FPS on this game. I see people with Core i7s complain about having lower than 20fps, while I have never had bellow 45 fps with my Core i5. It seems to me hey just optimized it for their own configuration, leaving something to be desired for others

bolz87
06-02-2013, 11:06 AM
I hope for you guys that Ubisoft Kiev is not developing AC4 for PC D:

YazX_
06-02-2013, 11:41 AM
I hope for you guys that Ubisoft Kiev is not developing AC4 for PC D:

LOL, if they messed up this time then its hopeless as the port should be derived from Xbox one which is mainly a PC, i would love to see how would this go.