PDA

View Full Version : Edward Kenway – Portrait of a Pirate Assassin

catkiller97
05-30-2013, 06:34 AM
So i was reading ubiblog and came across this bit

Edward has an assassination target on land, whom he chases. The target escapes Edward by boarding a ship and sailing away. “All of a sudden, you have to climb onto your ship, and you have to sail after him,” Ismail says. “If he’s just a target you have to kill, you can destroy the ship. Or you can board the ship and assassinate him as Edward. But any of this goes. It is important to make sure the players feel that the two mechanics of being a pirate assassin is fluid and seamless.”

full article - http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-4-edward-kenway-pirate-profile/

Legendz54
05-30-2013, 06:53 AM
New rope swinging tool and Assassinations Confirmed, YES!

DavidPage
05-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Ashraf says "swinging on a rope". So that's it people. That's our way of navigating forests in the game (except bigger trunks where you can actually step on them). It can be seen in the reveal trailer when he boards the other ship.

montagemik
05-30-2013, 06:15 PM

Unless it's a magical self fastening Rope ....................It sounds suspiciously like a Grappling Hook . ;)

(Wondered how many AC's they'd make before eventually adding the grapple rope & blow-pipe )

ProletariatPleb
05-30-2013, 06:25 PM
I'll just leave this here:

Birth: March 10, 1693, Cardiff, Wales

Nationality: Welsh

Alliance: Pirates, Assassins

Associated Vessels: Jackdaw

The brave and impulsive Edward Kenway perhaps the most complex emotional character we've seen in the entire series of Assassin's Creed. He dreamed of great adventures from his childhood on a farm, without thinking too much about the consequences. Although fully enjoys all material pleasures, by comparison, the personal life of Edward is relatively empty: a failed marriage with his childhood sweetheart, Caroline, was the first example of this.

However, Edward is also attentive and thoughtful, though some would say a firebrand and shortly after making its way to the West Indies (as they were known then), has a clear future. When serving drinks to the pirates in Nassau, Edward realizes that his charm and wit can take it away.

Edward becomes a man who appreciates people with important and good connections. Prospers as the inspirational captain of his own ship, the Jackdaw, and earns the respect of comrades and himself Blackbeard.

Being the centre of attention in lively celebrations and drunkenness is a role that will become Edward, like the toughness and flexibility that characterize real pirates. However, suddenly finding himself amid ancient war between Assassins and Templars is what really tests his strength of character.

pacmanate
05-30-2013, 06:42 PM
But in that thing M posted about tree navigation they said they wanted "No Tarzan". And now, we have tarzan!

ProletariatPleb
05-30-2013, 07:07 PM
But in that thing M posted about tree navigation they said they wanted "No Tarzan". And now, we have tarzan!
Trees don't have ropes.....I don't think they mentioned vines anywhere.

ArabianFrost
05-30-2013, 07:17 PM
I'd dig some tarazan-like rope swinging.

ArabianFrost
05-30-2013, 07:22 PM
I'll just leave this here:

Birth: March 10, 1693, Cardiff, Wales

Nationality: Welsh

Alliance: Pirates, Assassins

Associated Vessels: Jackdaw

The brave and impulsive Edward Kenway perhaps the most complex emotional character we've seen in the entire series of Assassin's Creed. He dreamed of great adventures from his childhood on a farm, without thinking too much about the consequences. Although fully enjoys all material pleasures, by comparison, the personal life of Edward is relatively empty: a failed marriage with his childhood sweetheart, Caroline, was the first example of this.

However, Edward is also attentive and thoughtful, though some would say a firebrand and shortly after making its way to the West Indies (as they were known then), has a clear future. When serving drinks to the pirates in Nassau, Edward realizes that his charm and wit can take it away.

Edward becomes a man who appreciates people with important and good connections. Prospers as the inspirational captain of his own ship, the Jackdaw, and earns the respect of comrades and himself Blackbeard.

Being the centre of attention in lively celebrations and drunkenness is a role that will become Edward, like the toughness and flexibility that characterize real pirates. However, suddenly finding himself amid ancient war between Assassins and Templars is what really tests his strength of character.

Sounds to me like some enticing character development. Add to that the fact that Edward eventually feels no satisfaction from pirating and gaining riches, which is probably when he loses the pirate act and become more selfless. Apparently, Edward feels "empty" and this is his soul-searching journey through which Edward finds his purpose in life. Sort of like ACR maybe? If it is, that's awesome cause I love this sort of plot as long as it actually focuses on Edward only.

pacmanate
05-30-2013, 07:57 PM
I really want to see the stress Edward goes under with the Templars

ProletariatPleb
05-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Sounds to me like some enticing character development. Add to that the fact that Edward eventually feels no satisfaction from pirating and gaining riches, which is probably when he loses the pirate act and become more selfless. Apparently, Edward feels "empty" and this is his soul-searching journey through which Edward finds his purpose in life. Sort of like ACR maybe? If it is, that's awesome cause I love this sort of plot as long as it actually focuses on Edward only.
In Darby we trust.

ArabianFrost
05-30-2013, 08:12 PM
In Darby we trust.

Darby can actually write a very well-paced and interesting story, but with ACR, I felt that the game had weak villains, with characters that seemed downright under-developed like Ezio's and Suleiman's (Altaïr was far more well-written than Ezio). I hope that Darby understands his flaws then works to improve them. I mean, you don't really have much room for proper character development in a one-year made game, right? Please tell me that Darby can actually fully develop all characters and that ACR was just an abnormality? Comfort me, please.

pacmanate
05-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Darby can actually write a very well-paced and interesting story, but with ACR, I felt that the game had weak villains, with characters that seemed downright under-developed like Ezio's and Suleiman's (Altaïr was far more well-written than Ezio). I hope that Darby understands his flaws then works to improve them. I mean, you don't really have much room for proper character development in a one-year made game, right? Please tell me that Darby can actually fully develop all characters and that ACR was just an abnormality? Comfort me, please.

Well they did have to expand it to a console game. For a DS game its actually pretty well written. If anything, mission designers are the ones we have to look out for.

ArabianFrost
05-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Well they did have to expand it to a console game. For a DS game its actually pretty well written. If anything, mission designers are the ones we have to look out for.

Indeed. We haven't had proper level design since AC1. The only good level design was for forts and Dens, but for some reason, this sort of mission design was opted out of the normal mission design. Still, I read articles that said AC4 devs worked VERY hard to ensure that over 90% of the levels granted freedom to the player with multiple approaches to the objective. Unlike all the other games, this is the first time we have marketing of this sort during the pre-release marketing of the game, which to some extent, is comforting, but like AC3 taught me , I'll believe it when I see it.

Locopells
05-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Because, duh, it’s counterproductive to thunder while you plunder

Gotta love the rhyming!

STDlyMcStudpants
05-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Wait wait wait...we have a target...they see us..hop into their boat, we chase them down and either jack their ship or blow it up.
Grand Theft Assassin haha

LoyalACFan
05-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Wait wait wait...we have a target...they see us..hop into their boat, we chase them down and either jack their ship or blow it up.

I think they're saying we can either blow up the ship or jump on board and kill the guy. I don't think we can steal the ship.

ProletariatPleb
05-31-2013, 04:09 AM
Wut? It says we can either blow their ship up or board it to get the kill.

And I just realized, Edward and Desmond both share a thing - they were bartenders.

LoyalACFan
05-31-2013, 07:07 AM
Wut? It says we can either blow their ship up or board it to get the kill.

And I just realized, Edward and Desmond both share a thing - they were bartenders.

Maybe that'll replace the scar and beaked hood as the common thread between ancestors :rolleyes:

ProletariatPleb
05-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Maybe that'll replace the scar and beaked hood as the common thread between ancestors :rolleyes:
LOL, those two things were ******ed anyway.

MasterAssasin84
05-31-2013, 10:40 AM

I was hoping they would include this after seeing the very first cinematic reveal ! also for the sake of boarding other ships.

That is awesome news !

Sushiglutton
05-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Rope swinging will be awesome. The freerunning needs stuff like that to increase the fun-factor. Hope zip-lines are back as well :).

ProletariatPleb
05-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Rope swinging will be awesome. The freerunning needs stuff like that to increase the fun-factor. Hope zip-lines are back as well :).
What will he use the zipline with? two swords? pistols? captain hook's arm?

silvermercy
05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
When serving drinks to the pirates in Nassau, Edward realizes that his charm and wit can take it away...
Now I know where Desmond got his barman skills from. xD

Sushiglutton
05-31-2013, 11:10 AM
What will he use the zipline with? two swords? pistols? captain hook's arm?

Connor used his tomahawk. How about using the blowpipe?

ProletariatPleb
05-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Connor used his tomahawk. How about using the blowpipe?
Won't it break under the weight, lol

Sushiglutton
05-31-2013, 11:24 AM

Nope, because videogames ;). It's not less plausible than the hookblade, or tomahawk imo.

montagemik
05-31-2013, 12:51 PM

Depends - What is it made of ???

ProletariatPleb
05-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Depends - What is it made of ???
Game-y material :p

Aren't blowdarts always made of hollow wood?

montagemik
05-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Game-y material :p

Aren't blowdarts always made of hollow wood?

Blow pipes can be made from a variety of woods / bamboo traditionally ..........But can be made from any number of materials for a custom weapon.
They invent reasons for Unique custom tomahawks / hidden blades / Armour ...............
So maybe Whalebone or even a metal based pipe isn't beyond possibility - & Double up as a pirate Kosh in melee combat.;)

ProletariatPleb
05-31-2013, 01:18 PM
It'll still be hollow, gotta take that into account. But then again, any axe's strength is the metal part but they hollowed it out in AC3's Tomahawk so I don't think they'll care, lol.