PDA

View Full Version : Parasite aircraft

darkhorizon11
03-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Hey I was just curious about some historical information. I don't have AEP yet, but I see that there is a TB3 capable of carrying an I16. How often was this aircraft used in combat and how successful was it? Both planes obviously had major short comings of speed, service ceiling, and armor so its safe to say it wasn't used much in the latter half of the war. I know the Germans had many similiar prototypes with their jets toward the end of the war. I'm also aware that a version of the American Peacemakers had a Goblin aircraft underneath that could fend off enemy fighters and then reattach....
Were there any other notable parasite aircraft that I missed (besides the Mistel)?
Anyone want to chime in?

darkhorizon11
03-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Hey I was just curious about some historical information. I don't have AEP yet, but I see that there is a TB3 capable of carrying an I16. How often was this aircraft used in combat and how successful was it? Both planes obviously had major short comings of speed, service ceiling, and armor so its safe to say it wasn't used much in the latter half of the war. I know the Germans had many similiar prototypes with their jets toward the end of the war. I'm also aware that a version of the American Peacemakers had a Goblin aircraft underneath that could fend off enemy fighters and then reattach....
Were there any other notable parasite aircraft that I missed (besides the Mistel)?
Anyone want to chime in?

clint-ruin
03-15-2004, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
Anyone want to chime in?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was discussed a month or two ago, try searching for "SPB" in this forum. Some combat accounts and sortie information was posted.

There's another even more ridiculous looking SPB variant with 3x I-153 on top and another two aircraft underneath, from what I remember of the thread. Wish we could get that in :&gt;

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

darkhorizon11
03-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I had no luck finding this thread can someone gimme a link?
Thanks.