PDA

View Full Version : Engine off in flight

larschance
05-29-2013, 02:35 PM
I understand that certain aircraft don't have fuel injection and therefore some manoeuvres cause the engine to cut out. I have been flying the Hurricane versus the MC200 and both types suffer this inconvenience as do other types. I can usually get out of this by restarting the engine in flight by pressing the I key but I have had several occasions now when it refuses to restart and I glide powerless to the ground even with no damage. Am I doing something wrong that I wasn't before. Puzzled.

Berg417
05-29-2013, 11:59 PM
I understand that certain aircraft don't have fuel injection and therefore some manoeuvres cause the engine to cut out. I have been flying the Hurricane versus the MC200 and both types suffer this inconvenience as do other types. I can usually get out of this by restarting the engine in flight by pressing the I key but I have had several occasions now when it refuses to restart and I glide powerless to the ground even with no damage. Am I doing something wrong that I wasn't before. Puzzled.

It should restart itself after a few seconds if you pull positive G. I've never had to actually restart the engine in flight due to negative g cutout.

larschance
05-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks Berg. Maybe I am being less patient these days. On a solo offline test the aircraft just glides to the ground with still propeller no matter what I try to do. And that is with no combat..
I recently upgraded my version so may have to reinstall in case there is a glitch.

Tully__
05-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Which specific aircraft version are you having a problem with? Some are harder to re-start than others.

Bassman555
06-01-2013, 01:54 AM
I fly the I-16 in some early war eastern campaigns and it too had the negative G engine cut out issue. The only simple rule i can give you is 'do not push negitive G' unless you absolutly have to. Its an advantage that the German, fuel injected, fighters have at this point in the war that they do not lose power in a negative G push over. As for getting the engine restarted, as others have said, pull back and get positive G's back on the engine. If this doesn't get is started, try pressing I to restart it. It can take multiple presses of the I key to get it to start sometimes. And still, sometimes neither of these techniques work and it just will not restart in the air. In this case you are a now a glider and in definate trouble if in combat. Good Luck. I think it's pretty realistic as showing the disadvantages that early war pilots had to face.

larschance
06-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys. I was flying the Hurricane 2b in version 4.8m as well as the MC200. You have accurately described the situation Bassman and yes in combat you are scuppered.
I enjoy that it reflects the real problems pilots had and that some aircraft were harder to restart than others. To prevent cut out on the dive you have to roll onto your back then pull the stick back whereas the 109 can just push the nose down without cut out. At least now I know its not my pc system.