PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3: is Haytham really...? (SPOILER ALERT!)

misssmarita
05-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Ok, I have a question about Haytham Kenway. I know he was born an assassin and converted to the Templar cause. Which would explain why, even though he's a templar, he's got his hidden blade, eagle vision, ability to perform leaps of faith, etc. What I don't get is why, on the map, to show where you currently are, he's marked as a hooded figure (which would appear to be an assassin)? When you call a horse, it comes to you and has the Assassin's Creed mark over it, and when you play the mission to free the slaves (Infiltrating South Gate, or something like that, a mission in sequence 2), all your allies have the same mark over their heads!

Could someone please explain to me why this is? Because as I said, I buy the whole assassin-born-turned-templar thing, and that's why he's able to do all those "assassin" things, like eagle vision, but that other stuff I can't understand. Please unconfuse me.

ProletariatPleb
05-26-2013, 06:56 AM
I guess the animus just assumes the ancestor is an Assassin? If it showed all the templar symbols we would've already known he's a Templar and their so called 'plot twist' would've been ruined. You're taking little things like that in a game too seriously.

BATISTABUS
05-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Haytham never officially became an Assassin, he was just trained in the ways of the Assassin. Eagle Vision has nothing to do with joining the Assassins, it's just related to having high concentrations of First Civilization blood. As for the symbols, I'll go with what sidspyker24 said. Since Rebecca is in charge of the Animus 3.0 interface, assume it just has those symbols by default.

Also, 1,000th post. :o

STDlyMcStudpants
05-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Ok, I have a question about Haytham Kenway. I know he was born an assassin and converted to the Templar cause. Which would explain why, even though he's a templar, he's got his hidden blade, eagle vision, ability to perform leaps of faith, etc. What I don't get is why, on the map, to show where you currently are, he's marked as a hooded figure (which would appear to be an assassin)? When you call a horse, it comes to you and has the Assassin's Creed mark over it, and when you play the mission to free the slaves (Infiltrating South Gate, or something like that, a mission in sequence 2), all your allies have the same mark over their heads!

Could someone please explain to me why this is? Because as I said, I buy the whole assassin-born-turned-templar thing, and that's why he's able to do all those "assassin" things, like eagle vision, but that other stuff I can't understand. Please unconfuse me.

His father was an Assassin, That is how he got the blade.
He was not born an Assassin.
I'm Sure Edward will give it to Haytham as he (haytham) watches his father die..
Eagles vision is an ability given to you in the animus to aid in re living memories, also remember Desmond had to learn how to do these moves through his ancestors, Haytham wasn't doing any leaps of fate, Desmond was as Haytham.

Maps are to mark you the player..the beginning you were supposed to think Haytham was an assassins, I personally was surprised by the twist, I thought I was connor the whole time LOL (didnt know Connors name at the time)

Marking you with a cross would kind of spoil the game, wouldnt it?

ProletariatPleb
05-26-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm Sure Edward will give it to Haytham as he (haytham) watches his father die..
Eagles vision is an ability given to you in the animus to aid in re living memories, also remember Desmond had to learn how to do these moves through his ancestors, Haytham wasn't doing any leaps of fate, Desmond was as Haytham.

Maps are to mark you the player..the beginning you were supposed to think Haytham was an assassins, I personally was surprised by the twist, I thought I was connor the whole time LOL (didnt know Connors name at the time)

The blade Haytham has belongs to the Assassin Miko not Edward.

He was training as an Assassin from an early age(unknowingly)when Templars attacked his home, killed his father.

Eagle vision is not an ability given to you by the animus but the 6th sense with the TWCb blocked from us, the sense of knowledge.

Haytham WAS doing the leap of faiths.

misssmarita
05-26-2013, 08:18 AM
sidspyker24: No, I'm not taking things to seriously, I just wanted to clear things up. I actually liked the plot twist, inasmuch as it took me by complete surprise. I asked the question because the game has always been very consistent. Of course they couldn't have made him out to be a templar, but I just find it strange that they would mark him as an assassin on the map when they've taken such great care not to reveal his true identity in any other way before the end of sequence 3 (like the dialog, he never explicitly states that he's either an assassin or a templar).

ProletariatPleb
05-26-2013, 08:26 AM
sidspyker24: No, I'm not taking things to seriously, I just wanted to clear things up. I actually liked the plot twist, inasmuch as it took me by complete surprise. I asked the question because the game has always been very consistent. Of course they couldn't have made him out to be a templar, but I just find it strange that they would mark him as an assassin on the map when they've taken such great care not to reveal his true identity in any other way before the end of sequence 3 (like the dialog, he never explicitly states that he's either an assassin or a templar).
Well I've tried by best to answer you then. Hopefully it brings you some satisfaction. :p

misssmarita
05-26-2013, 08:30 AM
BATISTABUS: I know what eagle vision is and how they got it, but if you are born with eagle vision, you are technically an assassin even though you never join the order.

Assassin's Creed wikipedia:

"The bloodline of the original Assassins was formed centuries ago, after various members of the First Civilization conceived children with members of the human race. These children had the visual appearance of humans, but were gifted with several extra senses from the precursor race, such as what the former dubbed "Eagle Vision".

"There were two ways of entering into the Order: being born into it, like Alta´r Ibn-La'Ahad, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, and Desmond Miles, or through being recruited, like Assassin apprentices and Shaun Hastings."

HOWEVER, I do think you might be right about the Assassin's symbols, that it's a part of the Animus interface. Thanks for the insight! :)

misssmarita
05-26-2013, 08:36 AM
STDIyMc Studpants: I know his father was an assassin, and I know how he got the blade. Eagle vision is not something you gain by going in the animus to aid you in reliving the memories of your ancestors, you are born with it if you have first civ DNA. And yes, it would spoil the game, I'm not at all saying they should have revealed he was a Templar. In fact I agree that the plot twist was surprising, and I like that a plot twist can be that surprising. I was just saying (though my qyestion has kinda been answered) that they shouldn't have marked him as an assassin either, to be 100% consistent.

AjinkyaParuleka
05-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Assassin's Creed Forsaken..please buy it...i know you never read a book in you're life before but do it just once.

misssmarita
05-26-2013, 10:33 AM
AjinkyaParuleka: wow, troll much? =P

But thanks for the tip.

pacmanate
05-26-2013, 10:34 AM

1. Born an Assassin yes, Edward was an Assassin and trained Haytham from a young age. At 8 he was already learning to fight.
2. Eagle Vision has nothing to do with being an Assassin, its to do with concentration or expression of the Those Who Came Before Gene. Edward had it and it got passed on to Haytham.
3. Haytham stole the hidden blade off an Assassin called Miko who he got in a fight with a year before AC3 starts.
4. Leap of Faith he learnt from his father.
5. He is marked as a hooded figure because of the Animus. Rebecca just marks Desmonds Ancestor with an Assassin figure because that is what she expects. It is the same reason why the horse has that logo (to show it is an ally) and is the same reason that all your other allies have that Assassins crest above their heads. It is all done by Rebbeca.

LoyalACFan
05-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Assassin's Creed Forsaken..please buy it...i know you never read a book in you're life before but do it just once.

Well that was rather rude and uncalled for. Ubisoft can't expect their fans to purchase every single piece of supporting material for the series to fully explain the plot of their game, and this was rather poorly explained in AC3... :nonchalance:

Anyway, to condense everything everyone else has said into one post, and add a little more;

Edward Kenway was an Assassin (complete with Eagle Vision, which he passed onto his children), and began training his son Haytham the skills of the order without ever actually telling him the Order existed. When Haytham was still a child, Edward was secretly betrayed and murdered by his "friend" Reginald Birch, who continued training Haytham after Edward's death, but recruited him into the Templars instead. Thus, Haytham became a Templar but still had his father's Eagle Vision, and the hidden blade came from an Assassin he defeated in battle (the one he later killed at the opera). Rebecca just assumed he was an Assassin since he was part of Desmond's bloodline, so she programmed the Animus to display him as such.

itsamea-mario
05-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Yeah, it's just the animus. That's the animus interface, the hooded figure is the symbol used to identify the ancestor, assassin icons are used to identify recruits, hence the Templar lot during the fort attack have assassin symbols above them.
The animus is just a machine, it can't identify ideologies.

inferno33222
05-26-2013, 02:26 PM
I think that the developers didn't feel like making new symbols for your allies. Also, if it was a Templar Cross, then wouldn't that spoil the surprise?

pacmanate
05-26-2013, 02:27 PM
I think that the developers didn't feel like making new symbols for your allies. Also, if it was a Templar Cross, then wouldn't that spoil the surprise?

Its not that, its that Rebecca assumed they were all Assassin's so used the same HUD icons for Desmond whilst he was in there.

But for your second point, yes, immensely.

ProletariatPleb
05-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Well if you remember when they first discovered Haytham was a Templar, and Desmond came out of the animus Rebecca said "wow" in astonishment so clearly she never anticipated that an ancestor could be a Templar and so perhaps that is why the animus shows Assassin symbols.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
05-26-2013, 07:38 PM

Really, ur comment wasnt needed an the OP seems the kno his AC history

AzfarXV
05-18-2015, 12:35 PM

Haytham didn't get the hidden blades from his father.
He got them from Miko.
Read Forsaken

VestigialLlama4
05-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Guys, there is a simple story reason.

Haytham being a Templar is a PLOT TWIST for AC3, so all indicators and markers of his true allegiance are deliberately obscured. The Animus doesn't identify him as Templar because the Assassins code it and they see him as Assassin.

GunnerGalactico
05-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Haytham didn't get the hidden blades from his father.
He got them from Miko.
Read Forsaken

I believe that sidspyker told him the exact same thing 2 years ago.