PDA

View Full Version : What are some odd things you do in Ac3

StarzSuicide
05-21-2013, 11:37 PM
When Connor kills his best friend, I always take his body back to the village in respect.

I play full game start to end with no HUD at all. I do this for all AC games

I only use the bow, tomahawk, and hidden blades during most of the game. (save for when the game FORCES you to use an item.)

I have a problem of placing five trip mines down in an alleyway under a guard infested rooftop and throw the guards down off the roof onto bombs and watch them as they fly.

Assassin_M
05-21-2013, 11:38 PM
I use stealth

ProletariatPleb
05-21-2013, 11:41 PM
I pretend to be a random courier, go to a city(usually New York) get a horse, ride slowly and try to avoid attention, catch other couriers, go upto random NPC and pretend I'm delivering something, get back on horse and leave, only use bow when fighting is needed.

Sushiglutton
05-21-2013, 11:42 PM
I tried the no HUD things but gave ufter I tried to climb the mast as Haytham by using one of the ropeladder, which meant I missed a mandatory checkpoint causing the cutscene no to trigger :nonchalance:.

I used to wiggle the stick left and right while runnig to watch Connor switch balance. Looks real neat ;).

montagemik
05-21-2013, 11:43 PM
I Often find myself playing 'Catch' with a Native indian family in 'Scotch Plains' ;) ( But they're not very good at Catching things - not even the kids )

LoyalACFan
05-21-2013, 11:44 PM
I deliberately fail the "limit Native American casualties" full sync requirement in the Kill Johnson mission so I can get Johnson with my tomahawk in my air assassination. After the first native dies, he walks forward a bit. Otherwise, he's too close to another guard, and Connor does that annoying thing where he automatically switches to the hidden blade and kills them both regardless of what weapon you're using. And killing another random guy during your slo-mo assassination move is lame.

Also, I enjoy catching couriers with the rope dart when I get really close to them, and clothesline them with my tomahawk.

ProletariatPleb
05-21-2013, 11:53 PM
I tried the no HUD things but gave ufter I tried to climb the mast as Haytham by using one of the ropeladder, which meant I missed a mandatory checkpoint causing the cutscene no to trigger :nonchalance:.

I used to wiggle the stick left and right while runnig to watch Connor switch balance. Looks real neat ;).
I only leave the minimap and notoriety hud on. It does feel a LOT of more fun, especially the combat

Sushiglutton
05-21-2013, 11:57 PM
I only leave the minimap and notoriety hud on. It does feel a LOT of more fun, especially the combat

I did turn the combat indicators off, which I agree made a big difference. But playing completely HUD-less seems very frustrating for me in AC3 (in AC1 it's superb).

ProletariatPleb
05-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Like I said, I don't go completely hudless either, minimap and notoriety, that's it.

StarzSuicide
05-22-2013, 12:05 AM
I use stealth

What Is this stealth you speak of? Lol jk

Stealth is the best way to play

Assassin_M
05-22-2013, 12:07 AM
What Is this stealth you speak of? Lol jk

Stealth is the best way to play
Well, because of the psychic AI and thus ridiculous guard reactions, I find the less convenient, i.e stealth, to be odd

MasterfulList53
05-22-2013, 02:02 AM
When Connor kills his best friend, I always take his body back to the village in respect.

I did that as well, which is probably a reflection of the strength of the story.

However, I did notice that if you take the body to the clan mother's hut, she freaks out a bit for a while. Though when she eventually calms down and Connor talks to her, his friend's body visibly lying on the ground during their cutscene seems to fit in quite well in the context of their conversation.

The other thing I do is when freerunning, I always pull the right trigger to get the combat camera, then switch camera angles by clicking the left thumbstick whenever Connor changes direction. Makes freerunning slightly more challenging and also looks great.

Assassin_M
05-22-2013, 02:07 AM
I did that as well, which is probably a reflection of the strength of the story.

However, I did notice that if you take the body to the clan mother's hut, she freaks out a bit for a while. Though when she eventually calms down and Connor talks to her, his friend's body visibly lying on the ground during their cutscene seems to fit in quite well in the context of their conversation.

The other thing I do is when freerunning, I always pull the right trigger to get the combat camera, then switch camera angles by clicking the left thumbstick whenever Connor changes direction. Makes freerunning slightly more challenging and also looks great.
It's nice to see people adding their little touches to the gameplay experience to enjoy themselves especially carrying kanentokon's body to the village. I do that too and then proceed to have the final convo with the clan mother. Cool stuff.

GreySkellig
05-22-2013, 03:12 AM
I also brought Kanen'to:kon back to the village--it felt so wrong to leave him lying there. That kill was so hard for me. I wound up just leaving Connor standing over his body for a good few minutes just thinking "Why did he make me kill him?" Definitely one of the stronger moments of the story for me.

I actually have never found the native family on Scotch Plains...I'm kinda interested in where they are.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-22-2013, 03:54 AM
I enjoyed it...that seems to be pretty odd....

But the killing your friend bit and taking him the the village, isnt that an end of a sequence that takes you out of the location immediately afterwards?
Maybe not..havent done that mission since November

projectpat06
05-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Lately, I've been going around the cities dressed in the Captain Kidd outfit or Captain of the Aquila outfit then bringing all the recruits using bodyguard and then either robing people or fighting for a chest like a group of pirates. Then escaping to a certain ship and immediately playing a naval mission memory I've already completed. Do the same with the forts which are fun. Just wish you could reset forts after you've cleared all of them.

Also pretend to re enact scenes from the patriot in the frontier while dressed in captain outfit since it looks the most like a colonial outfit. It still sucks there aren't random battles going on or actual terrorizing of towns and farms. The frontier is too empty but every time a convoy comes about, I take full advantage of it Mel Gibson style.

Farlander1991
05-22-2013, 09:09 AM

Just wondering... how are you able to play any AC game (except AC1) without a HUD? How does your playstyle look, exactly? AC1 was designed for HUD-less gameplay, but other games, it's just extremely frustrating. "Oh, you need to go this guy"... great, where is he? To the north? South? West, east? No clue. What area is he in? What landmarks should I search for? Is he near a market? A historical building? So you still look at the map to see the general direction you should be going... and then you talk to the guy, and you complete the mission... uhm... now what? Where do I go? Oh, the next mission marker is on the other side of the city, well, how the hell am I supposed to know to go there?

Then there's stuff like, how do I know how many knives, tools I've got? In AC1, you see all the throwing knives on your character. If you've got 15, you see 15 in holsters. If you've got 5, you see 5. AC2 doesn't have that. So keeping track of consumables AC2-onward is frustrating too without a HUD.

Megas_Doux
05-22-2013, 03:32 PM
I always go hudless in any AC game during freeroam......In the story mode, only use the mini map.

StarzSuicide
05-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Just wondering... how are you able to play any AC game (except AC1) without a HUD? How does your playstyle look, exactly? AC1 was designed for HUD-less gameplay, but other games, it's just extremely frustrating. "Oh, you need to go this guy"... great, where is he? To the north? South? West, east? No clue. What area is he in? What landmarks should I search for? Is he near a market? A historical building? So you still look at the map to see the general direction you should be going... and then you talk to the guy, and you complete the mission... uhm... now what? Where do I go? Oh, the next mission marker is on the other side of the city, well, how the hell am I supposed to know to go there?

Then there's stuff like, how do I know how many knives, tools I've got? In AC1, you see all the throwing knives on your character. If you've got 15, you see 15 in holsters. If you've got 5, you see 5. AC2 doesn't have that. So keeping track of consumables AC2-onward is frustrating too without a HUD.

Easy, look at the map an get the basic idea. As for ammo, as I said earlier I often only use the hidden blades (I use bow and tomahawk also in AC3 to make it feel more realistic since Connor is Mohawk) so I never work bout stuff like that

Also the sun, sunlight and moonlight, and shadows are all the compass you need

Farlander1991
05-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Easy, look at the map an get the basic idea.

Even though the map technically speaking isn't a HUD, to me that's not a no-HUD gameplay. AC1 can be comfortably beaten without ever bringing the map up at all. Other games can't.

pacmanate
05-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Well I just got shoved off the ship at the start twice. Then Haytham fell off the mast during the cutscene :|

thecodeman715
05-23-2013, 01:48 AM
I always use Bodyguard... It looks really cool. It reminds me of the picture on AC:B cover with Ezio and his apprentices.

Sigv4rd
05-24-2013, 04:16 AM
Here are a few
-When a fight ends sometimes I throw down a smoke-bomb then "disappear" into the shadows
-I tackle guards when in conflict which causes Conner to roll behind him (sorta a replacement for the hook and run)
-When a single guard aims at me with a pistol I don't take hostages, instead I casually strafe around him and he usually misses.
-I put trip-mines on corpses
-I throw bait at guards to taint them
-In forts I knock civilians unconscious when possible, to prevent them from running around screaming...

SixKeys
05-24-2013, 02:46 PM
One of my favorite animations in AC3 is when Connor jumps off something sufficiently high and you keep the high profile button pressed until he lands. He lands with this cool pose similar to Ezio in the AC2 cinematic trailer, where he's crouching on one knee with one hand pressed against the ground, then slowly gets up when you let go of the button. I use it all the time just because it looks cool. Going back to older AC games, I sometimes find myself trying to use it and then remember it doesn't work.

Yesterday I was replaying some missions for full sync. I failed some requirement in the mission where you first meet Stephane, so I restarted the memory and had to endure the long conversation with Sam Adams again. To keep myself occupied while he yammered on about freedom, I dinowalked alongside him all the way to Stephane's house. It was kind of amusing to see some of the NPCs reacting to me, scratching their heads and backing up like I was weirdo. :p

GreySkellig
05-24-2013, 03:54 PM
One of my favorite animations in AC3 is when Connor jumps off something sufficiently high and you keep the high profile button pressed until he lands. He lands with this cool pose similar to Ezio in the AC2 cinematic trailer, where he's crouching on one knee with one hand pressed against the ground, then slowly gets up when you let go of the button. I use it all the time just because it looks cool. Going back to older AC games, I sometimes find myself trying to use it and then remember it doesn't work.

Yesterday I was replaying some missions for full sync. I failed some requirement in the mission where you first meet Stephane, so I restarted the memory and had to endure the long conversation with Sam Adams again. To keep myself occupied while he yammered on about freedom, I dinowalked alongside him all the way to Stephane's house. It was kind of amusing to see some of the NPCs reacting to me, scratching their heads and backing up like I was weirdo. :p

I also love that landing animation. Just makes Connor seem hard as nails. Not familiar with "dinowalking" though. :)

SixKeys
05-24-2013, 04:42 PM
I also love that landing animation. Just makes Connor seem hard as nails. Not familiar with "dinowalking" though. :)

It's pretty much legendary in the AC community:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4OjDcDlzAw

GreySkellig
05-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Ahaha, yes. I've definitely done that before, just didn't know the name.

jayjay275
05-24-2013, 05:19 PM
I walk into groups of guards, breaking their formation. I randomly kill guards for entertainment.

Bastiaen
05-24-2013, 05:52 PM
My question is: how do you do the dinowalk? Because that is hilarious!

AssassinHMS
05-24-2013, 06:50 PM
One thing I don't like about Connor is his posture and the way he walks. So, while walking on snow, I force Connor to walk very slowly and, for a few seconds, he will stand up straight and walk like Ezio in previous games.
Another oddity is that I still play AC3 expecting to have fun or to find something interesting to do in the frontier...

I also spend a lot of time trying to kill those annoying brats (that follow Connor everywhere) by throwing them to the water.

TinyTemplar
05-24-2013, 07:12 PM

I started to do the same recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4OjDcDlzAw
what a strange dream
http://24.media.tumblr.com/c3adccebc84468ef75be194db35f4309/tumblr_meuhi9dbe31r5d23ko1_500.gif

SixKeys
05-24-2013, 11:32 PM
My question is: how do you do the dinowalk? Because that is hilarious!

Hold down the high profile button and wiggle the movement stick back and forth. (I would imagine. On PC you just keep tapping the forward button.)

roostersrule2
05-24-2013, 11:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4OjDcDlzAwHaha I love that, made the loading screens fun.