PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft not expecting Assassin's Creed IV to outperform Assassin's Creed 3

pacmanate
05-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Ubisoft is not expecting this year's Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag to perform better than last year's Assassin's Creed III.

CEO Yves Guillemot said today during a investor conference call that the French publisher is not modeling year-over-year franchise sales to increase. "To come back to Assassin's Creed IV, in our numbers we have…we expect less than last year," Guillemot said today in response to an analyst question. Assassin's Creed III has shipped and digitally sold 12.5 million copies to date.

Though Ubisoft is not forecasting Black Flag to outsell Assassin's Creed III, Guillemot said the potential for the game is greater compared to last year. He said this is due to the game's pirate theme being more relatable than last year's Civil War setting. "We are actually pushing to achieve more than last year because we think the pirate segment is a great segment that can generate a lot more on a worldwide basis than what was achieved last year," Guillemot said. "But we wanted to be prudent on our expectations so that it can probably be a bonus if it comes."

Ubisoft is not the only publisher to forecast diminished sales for a new entry to a blockbuster series. Activision is not expecting Call of Duty: Ghosts to outperform Call of Duty: Black Ops II, which is on track to become the best-selling entry in the series of all-time.

Source: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ubisoft-not-expecting-assassins-creed-iv-to-outperform-assassins-creed-iii-6408409

MasterAssasin84
05-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Hmmm sounds like to me they are playing it a bit safe ? you know by not massaging people expectations due to some of the backlash AC3 got, either that or maybe they realise people will spending their hard earned cash on 500 consoles this Christmas so they are not expecting the Margins to build in the time frame AC3 did.

I could be wrong, these are just assumptions .

ACfan443
05-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Good. Must have been painful for him to tuck into a slice of humble pie and take a hit to his pride. I bet he was so sure that Black Flag would sell a s*** ton more than AC3 cause of that generic as hell pirate theme.

Assassin_M
05-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Good to hear that..

Today, kids we discover the presence of a brain in the corporate entity

LoyalACFan
05-15-2013, 08:48 PM
He said this is due to the game's pirate theme being more relatable than last year's Civil War setting.

Lol?

Anyway, yeah, I expected this. AC3 has a lot of fans here, but judging by the reactions I've seen on other non-AC-exclusive sites, the general consensus is that it was a disappointment. Besides, it doesn't have the massive "Desmond's finale" hype behind it.

rileypoole1234
05-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Doubt it will unless it being on PS4 has some effect on it.

lothario-da-be
05-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Lol?

Anyway, yeah, I expected this. AC3 has a lot of fans here, but judging by the reactions I've seen on other non-AC-exclusive sites, the general consensus is that it was a disappointment. Besides, it doesn't have the massive "Desmond's finale" hype behind it.
He maybe doesn't even know much about ac :p

SixKeys
05-15-2013, 08:53 PM
He maybe doesn't even know much about ac :p

It may have been the reporter's mistake. Several articles and reviews from last year and beginning of this year referred to the setting as Civil War.

silvermercy
05-15-2013, 08:54 PM
So it seems AC3 performed better in America... as it was expected? A pirate theme has a more worldwide appeal.

stingray110
05-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Eating humble pie? Ermm, they are generating a huge profit from this game still. Ubisoft wins.

projectpat06
05-15-2013, 08:56 PM
ACIV has a lot more competition this fall than AC3 did last fall in terms of 3rd person open world adventure games. Last fall, there were more first person games like dishonored, borderlands 2, far cry 3, etc so AC3 was great alternative for a gaming experience. It also introduced a ton of brand new game mechanics and features not seen in the franchise or really any game. ACIV is really expanding and enhancing those new features and putting them to good use. If the story is good, the game will outsell AC3 i think, but we also have to account for the competition.....

There's GTA5, Batman: Arkham Origins, and Watchdogs. Besides the fanboys or innovators who will buy the game the first day or so, ACIV will be competing against all these games during the holidays given that they all come out within that two month period from the end of september to early november. Sometimes I just wish they would say screw the holiday release and release more during the summer.

SixKeys
05-15-2013, 09:07 PM
AC3 was at the same time the end of an era and the beginning of a new chapter. It brought in a lot of new fans who had never played AC before and the old fans bought the game to see how Desmond's story would end. There were lots of people who weren't excited about the setting but bought the game purely because they wanted to know how the modern day story would wrap up. Considering most fans were let down by the modern day story and the rest of the game wasn't terribly well-received outside the fandom either, it totally makes sense to expect lower sales this year. If AC4 turns out to be a success, it will most likely be thanks to the new fans and word of mouth. People don't have much faith in Ubisoft right now.

pacmanate
05-15-2013, 09:19 PM
At the same time I think that AC3's marketing was very Pro American in America which also helped boost sales. Now they are stuttering around the same time period I doubt sales will have an increase. I still think it will sell well.

Spider_Sith9
05-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Shame to know this but also good that Ubisoft is making themselve humble. Still kinda sad to see Ubisoft on a more negative mindset. However, I do think this game will have a better chance with the lack of Connor. As for the gameplay. If the old structure is back. It can be polarizing. People don't like AC1.

Assassin_M
05-15-2013, 09:23 PM
People don't like AC1.
So they hate freedom?? so.........people are stupid ?

pacmanate
05-15-2013, 09:25 PM
So they hate freedom?? so.........people are stupid ?

I think we have gone through this before, but I will give you the same answer I gave you one year ago... Yes.

Assassin_M
05-15-2013, 09:27 PM
I think we have gone through this before, but I will give you the same answer I gave you one year ago... Yes.
that`s quite sad :/

SixKeys
05-15-2013, 09:30 PM
If you hate AC1, the terrorists will win.

Sushiglutton
05-15-2013, 09:34 PM
When I read different comment sections etc people are a lot more negative to the franchise then they were last year. AC3 disapointed a lot of people. This board is a lot more critical than last year (it was hard to say a negative word without everyon rushing at you). That being said the "internet" has been hating on COD for years and BO2 is on the way to becoming the best selling in COD-history. So who knows. People on gaming sites are not really representative.

ACIV has a lot more competition this fall than AC3 did last fall in terms of 3rd person open world adventure games. Last fall, there were more first person games like dishonored, borderlands 2, far cry 3, etc so AC3 was great alternative for a gaming experience. It also introduced a ton of brand new game mechanics and features not seen in the franchise or really any game. ACIV is really expanding and enhancing those new features and putting them to good use. If the story is good, the game will outsell AC3 i think, but we also have to account for the competition.....

There's GTA5, Batman: Arkham Origins, and Watchdogs. Besides the fanboys or innovators who will buy the game the first day or so, ACIV will be competing against all these games during the holidays given that they all come out within that two month period from the end of september to early november. Sometimes I just wish they would say screw the holiday release and release more during the summer.

Very good point

twenty_glyphs
05-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Ubisoft is also probably basing their sales projections on the pre-orders that Black Flag has gotten so far. I would bet pre-orders are lower than AC3's were at the same time last year, so Ubisoft can more accurately project their expected sales from those numbers. That's certainly more accurate than assuming sales will be lower because of fan backlash on the internet. Of course, don't expect them to tell us that pre-orders are down.

On a side note, I still can't believe how difficult it is for tons of reporters/journalists/whatever they are to differentiate between the Revolutionary War and the Civil War, and how often they get AC3's setting wrong. It really does boggle my mind.

Abeonis
05-15-2013, 10:19 PM
It may have been the reporter's mistake. Several articles and reviews from last year and beginning of this year referred to the setting as Civil War.

The American Revolutionary War was a civil war. Don't kid yourself into thinking the war was a case of Americans v. British; it was a war between British colonists and the British crown. Just because the rebels won doesn't make it any less of a civil war.

pacmanate
05-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Ubisoft is also probably basing their sales projections on the pre-orders that Black Flag has gotten so far. I would bet pre-orders are lower than AC3's were at the same time last year, so Ubisoft can more accurately project their expected sales from those numbers. That's certainly more accurate than assuming sales will be lower because of fan backlash on the internet. Of course, don't expect them to tell us that pre-orders are down.

On a side note, I still can't believe how difficult it is for tons of reporters/journalists/whatever they are to differentiate between the Revolutionary War and the Civil War, and how often they get AC3's setting wrong. It really does boggle my mind.

Blame the overhype they did on AC3. Its their own fault, they have made a lot of people hate/doubt AC because of AC3...

AssassinHMS
05-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Blame the overhype they did on AC3. Its their own fault, they have made a lot of people hate/doubt AC because of AC3...

Not just the hype, blame AC3 as a game (or even better: as an assassin's creed game)

Gi1t
05-15-2013, 11:04 PM
The American Revolutionary War was a civil war. Don't kid yourself into thinking the war was a case of Americans v. British; it was a war between British colonists and the British crown. Just because the rebels won doesn't make it any less of a civil war.

Yes, but the war referred to as THE Civil War was much later and was, in fact, a different war. That said, it's more like a typo or a slip of the tongue than a complete inability to differentiate between them. I don't think it's a surprise that anyone would write that; just a surprise that they wouldn't catch the error before publishing it. XD

SixKeys
05-15-2013, 11:26 PM

We call it a World War even though only a handful of nations were actually at war. Let's not bicker over historical naming conventions.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-16-2013, 12:07 AM
I expected it too..Assassins Creed - Brings in the fan boys and history buffs (im included in this)
if you put war into a game, you bring in the casual gamers
you put in natives and George Washington - Everyone in America has to have this game.

For AC 4 we have
Assassins Creed - Brings in the fan boys and history buffs
Pirates - brings in the pirate fans

And nothing really more...

hoodrat94
05-16-2013, 12:09 AM
AC3 dissapointed a lot of people (including myself)! ACIII was sort of like battlefield 1777 to me, instead of an "ASSASSIN'S creed" game. It could have easily been a new ip backed up by the naval mechanics. I hoped that Mr. Desilets would cure the franchise, but thats not going to happen.

ArabianFrost
05-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Is Ubisoft pretty much confirming that they burnt people on the series and are milking it dry? Finally.

Assassin_M
05-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Is Ubisoft pretty much confirming that they burnt people on the series and are milking it dry? Finally.
No...He`s a CEO...he`s expecting lower sales...CEOs success is sales, to say that AC IV is going to have fewer sales does not mean he admits milking the series or whatever...he`s talking from a business POV...competition is heavy this year

TheBearJew32
05-16-2013, 02:13 AM
...competition is heavy this year

Only this year they have AC and Watchdogs. Splinter Cell too? idk. But i think Black Flag will surprise some..i mean i've been dying for a decent pirate game ever since the time i remember that i almost caught captain jack sparrow

Bashilir
05-16-2013, 02:31 AM
Only this year they have AC and Watchdogs. Splinter Cell too? idk. But i think Black Flag will surprise some..i mean i've been dying for a decent pirate game ever since the time i remember that i almost caught captain jack sparrow

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/000/681/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

ProletariatPleb
05-16-2013, 03:58 AM
Well ofcourse you shouldn't expect that many sales after last year's below average movie you called "Assassin's Creed III". Probably projecting that based on number of preorders or they suddenly gained sense(the former is more plausible).

Assassin_Banana
05-16-2013, 04:57 AM
Ubi is not expecting Black Flags to outperform AC3, but expects Assassin Whale's Creed: The Dolphin Templar to out-annoy PETA this year :D. Is going to be a great year. :P

catkiller97
05-16-2013, 04:59 AM
in other new :-

Ubisoft has high hopes for Watch Dogs; could sell better than Assassin’s Creed 1

“Watch_Dogs can do probably as well or probably even better than AC1, in the target we’ve given we’ve taken quantity that are below AC1. So that’s the point”

pacmanate
05-16-2013, 08:53 AM

But the competition...

Watch_Dogs
GTA V
Infamous: Second Son
CoD
Batman
MGSV

There are a lot of AAA games out this Q4

Well ofcourse you shouldn't expect that many sales after last year's below average movie you called "Assassin's Creed III". Probably projecting that based on number of preorders or they suddenly gained sense(the former is more plausible).

Agreed, it willl defo not sell more than AC3, too many unhappies everywhere I go.

projectpat06
05-16-2013, 09:13 AM
^^^AC4 def won't have as many preorders as AC3 but I think if it unexpectedly gets great reviews it will do very well if not better than AC3. Reviews mean a lot to a good bit of people. For me, I was kind of on the fence with both Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite then I saw the reviews and went straight out to buy them. Both are incredible too

pacmanate
05-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Metacritic Aggregate scores:

AC1 - 81%
AC2 - 90%
AC:B - 90.55%
AC:R - 80%
AC3 - 85%

Metacritic USER scores:

AC1 - 7.9
AC2 - 8.8
AC:B - 8.2
AC:R - 7.1
AC3 - 6.8

Wow, well the users scores basically show a decrease in quality every year haha

ProletariatPleb
05-16-2013, 09:27 AM
^Look at average USER scores, Arun. Then you'll see the difference :p

EDIT: Screw it I'll just put them here myself

http://puu.sh/2vSz3
http://puu.sh/2tCRf

pacmanate
05-16-2013, 09:29 AM

What do you mean?

Edit, good lord.

Assassin_M
05-16-2013, 09:29 AM
An AC I fan shouldn't really be talking about user scores :|

ProletariatPleb
05-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Have a look at my post again derp...

pacmanate
05-16-2013, 09:33 AM

Whyy? Personally I think a 7.9 is very good for a game of that time :)

Assassin_M
05-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Have a look at my post again derp...
it`s still low :|

Assassin_M
05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Whyy? Personally I think a 7.9 is very good for a game of that time :)
of course it`s good...7 is very good...i`m just sayin`...Sid and I godify AC I...with 7.9....i`d be jumping to conclusions about....society :|

ProletariatPleb
05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
it`s still low :|
Yeah and the biggest complaint people had was about repetitive design, and that's fair. New IP coming in 2007, very unique and niche what were you expecting 10?

EDIT: You're taking the scores too seriously M, lol. AC1 was an amazing game but it had its fair share of flaws and it wasn't 'appealing' to everyone, so obviously everyone can't like it, compared to le sequel.

pacmanate
05-16-2013, 09:37 AM
of course it`s good...7 is very good...i`m just sayin`...Sid and I godify AC I...with 7.9....i`d be jumping to conclusions about....society :|

I love AC1 too, its my favourite one. But I just think, it was a new IP, first game you could climb everything, had great graphics for the time and had a very good story and upgrade system. The only thing that let it down was repetitiveness, however that alone plays a big part in if people can be bothered to finish it.

Assassin_M
05-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Yeah and the biggest complaint people had was about repetitive design, and that's fair. New IP coming in 2007, very unique and niche what were you expecting 10?
http://gyazo.com/c93a3f448bed5dc1cb576ed8c86ffc23.png

pacmanate
05-16-2013, 09:40 AM
http://gyazo.com/c93a3f448bed5dc1cb576ed8c86ffc23.png

Sigh, its okay.

montagemik
05-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Shame to know this but also good that Ubisoft is making themselve humble. Still kinda sad to see Ubisoft on a more negative mindset. However, I do think this game will have a better chance with the lack of Connor. As for the gameplay. If the old structure is back. It can be polarizing. People don't like AC1.

"A Better Chance without Connor"
"People don't like AC1"

Sorry Spider - I really can't agree .
But if you think 'Connor' was the biggest failure in AC3 ..............You have a strange view of what really makes a successful AC game .
People love AC1 - Newer fans to the franchise however ..........pulled in by the ' Ezio Assassin for beginners saga '....are admittedly less impressed on the whole, that's more to do with their simplistic preferences for cinematics & OTT action , than core faults of AC 1.

Ubisoft aren't being Humbled exactly
They just realise they can't spin Hype to the same conclusion AC3 accomplished .................AC3 overambition , failed finale , the most bugged multiplayer so far & ultimately limited console performance has made far too many players wary of the AC series .
Ubisoft may be shortsighted at times , but they're not completely Blind.

Spider_Sith9
05-16-2013, 12:56 PM
But the competition...

Watch_Dogs
GTA V
Infamous: Second Son
CoD
Batman
MGSV

There are a lot of AAA games out this Q4

Agreed, it willl defo not sell more than AC3, too many unhappies everywhere I go.

Alright, seriously. You really think MGSV will come out this year? ;)

"A Better Chance without Connor"
"People don't like AC1"

Sorry Spider - I really can't agree .
But if you think 'Connor' was the biggest failure in AC3 ..............You have a strange view of what really makes a successful AC game .
People love AC1 - Newer fans to the franchise however ..........pulled in by the ' Ezio Assassin for beginners saga '....are admittedly less impressed on the whole, that's more to do with their simplistic preferences for cinematics & OTT action , than core faults of AC 1.

Ubisoft aren't being Humbled exactly
They just realise they can't spin Hype to the same conclusion AC3 accomplished .................AC3 overambition , failed finale , the most bugged multiplayer so far & ultimately limited console performance has made far too many players wary of the AC series .
Ubisoft may be shortsighted at times , but they're not completely Blind.

Maybe you have a point. But Connor did seem like a Base Breaker to many like Raiden. They'll need to change him from Introvert/Extrovert next time and allow him to stop being rebellious and to get people to like him.

pacmanate
05-16-2013, 01:35 PM

Guess its not then. ShopTo had it on their site as 6th December 2013... Normally when they don't know, they put TBA or 31/12/2025

Soulid_Snake
05-16-2013, 02:02 PM

It actually, partially, might do. Remember, Ground Zeroes is the prologue to the Phantom Pain, Kojima's gonna release it separately, but he's still figuring out how, as it's only a small segment of the game it could release this year.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Metecritic doesnt even reach 1,000 users...It's a joke...a website for life life losers that hate everything...Go to IGN for USER scores..they have THOUSANDS

ProletariatPleb
05-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Metecritic doesnt even reach 1,000 users...It's a joke...a website for life life losers that thate everything...Go to IGN for USER scores..they have THOUSANDS
Main casual hub, lol no thanks.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Main casual hub, lol no thanks.
But negative losers are a much more reliable source right?
Users on metecritic gave the game a low score not because of the game play, but because of the title.
And anti american ****** bags give it a low score because of its setting. ;)
Just like they Do for Call of Duty
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii
4.5 for an excellent Multiplayer and BEST story in a call of Duty game by users?
No one that actually played Blck ops 2 would give it less than a 7.5/10
I rest my case . :)

People hate success..they are jealous of it.

ProletariatPleb
05-16-2013, 06:59 PM
But negative losers are a much more reliable source right?
Users on metecritic gave the game a low score not because of the game play, but because of the title.
And anti american ****** bags give it a low score because of its setting. ;)
Just like they Do for Call of Duty
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii
4.5 for an excellent Multiplayer and BEST story in a call of Duty game by users?
No one that actually played Blck ops 2 would give it less than a 7.5/10
I rest my case . :)

People hate success..they are jealous of it.

"Negative losers" vs IGNorant crap eaters...... yeah the former are more reliable.

And Black Ops 2 had a decent story, but it added nothing new other than some arbitrary choices.
I played Black Ops 2, and I would give it a 6/10(singleplayer)

If people hate success, Half Life 2 would be full of bad reviews.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-16-2013, 07:03 PM
"Negative losers" vs IGNorant crap eaters...... yeah the former are more reliable.

And Black Ops 2 had a decent story, but it added nothing new other than some arbitrary choices.
I played Black Ops 2, and I would give it a 6/10(singleplayer)

If people hate success, Half Life 2 would be full of bad reviews.
If it came out every year, then yes..it would

ProletariatPleb
05-16-2013, 07:10 PM
If it came out every year, then yes..it would
Well ofcourse it won't come every year, they care about quality and don't milk their franchises.

Casual fans come and go, it's the core fans that show the direction the series has gone into....and currently it's in the direction of mediocrity.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-16-2013, 07:13 PM
I'd even venture to say that If Assassins Creed 3 was called "Liberty or Death" instead and they just scrapped the hood and hidden blade..people would be giving it 9s and 10s across the board because its such a good new ip that everyone has to play..ahh its so under rated...we need to get this game out there im such a cool hipster for knowing about this game!!!!
It's the fitting in factor. ;)
People hate Call of Duty because it never changes..which gets tangled into i hate this game because it comes out every year..hey assassins creed comes out every year..i hate this game too now... ;)
All of these people hate this game?! me too!!!
Thats all it is..it's psychology..nothing more, nothing less lol
You think you're cool for not liking something...

Spider_Sith9
05-16-2013, 07:15 PM
I'd even venture to say that If Assassins Creed 3 was called "Liberty or Death" instead and they just scrapped the hood and hidden blade..people would be giving it 9s and 10s across the board because its such a good new ip that everyone has to play..ahh its so under rated...we need to get this game out there im such a cool hipster for knowing about this game!!!!
People hate Call of Duty because it never changes..which gets tangled into i hate this game because it comes out every year..hey assassins creed comes out every year..i hate this game too now... ;)

This is true.

Sushiglutton
05-16-2013, 07:20 PM

That is nonsense. Lot's of people have discussed in depth why AC3 disappointed them. Mostly it has to do with the modern day story, pacing, restricted mission design (too much handholding) and unsatisfying mechanics. Here is a great Kotaku article that lists some of the problems: http://kotaku.com/5958941/how-has-assassins-creed-iii-disappointed-me-let-me-count-the-ways. Many of us who felt AC3 came up short are not hipsters. There are imo several really good arguments for this position.

ProletariatPleb
05-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Oh yes of course, hating CoD has made me cool, look at my coolness............LOOK AT IT!

It probably would get a different score, because then it wouldn't be about Assassination and just a mediocre tour of 18th century America/

Yes yes, wonderful deduction, CoD comes every year, AC comes every year, therefore people hate 1 and so the other as well...such a brilliant theory...

Assassin_M
05-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Assassins Creed and Assassins Creed 3 are awesome

Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood suck

Connor and Altair > Ezio and Edward

Shut up :|