PDA

View Full Version : The reason why there are no sheaths in AC games after AC1

pacmanate
05-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Primary reason, there are too many swords of different shapes and sizes! Just think about it, say you have a straight sword, the sheath would be straight. Then you go and buy a cutless and it wouldn't fit.

There you have it, sucks really. It does look lazy but it is understandable, they would have to make a sheath for every weapon :|

Sushiglutton
05-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Doubt that is the explanation tbh. I mean they created two detailed cities + the frontier and you are saying that making a handful of sheaths would be too much hassle? Meh I'm thinking it has more to do with how many movable objects they can have on the character or some similar technical thing.

ProletariatPleb
05-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Well ****, son glad you realized it now. We even talked about this in a different thread.

But what use is that really if all those weapons perform the same, plus it's just as easy to create a sheathe for every weapon, you don't need to make it full length, just a piece to put it in so that it hangs by the hilt.

Kind of like this I suppose
http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/5624-2-1326968824.jpg

And the game doesn't have that many different sword shapes that they can't make sheaths for all.

pacmanate
05-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Well ****, son glad you realized it now. We even talked about this in a different thread.

But what use is that really if all those weapons perform the same, plus it's just as easy to create a sheathe for every weapon, you don't need to make it full length, just a piece to put it in so that it hangs by the hilt.

Kind of like this I suppose
http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/5624-2-1326968824.jpg

And the game doesn't have that many different sword shapes that they can't make sheaths for all.

Regarding making sheaths like that, that would be the smart solution. I do think AC does have a fair set of weapons. In AC3 you had all types of daggers, swords, tomahawks, clubs...

ProletariatPleb
05-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Regarding making sheaths like that, that would be the smart solution. I do think AC does have a fair set of weapons. In AC3 you had all types of daggers, swords, tomahawks, clubs...
I'm only talking about swords sheathe. Club doesn't need any sheath, what kind of a sheathe could an axe have? daggers would be pretty much like sword, only shorter, and tomahawk seems rather fine right now, no?

And even if they had to make sheathes for every weapons........they can't do that with the number of employees they have working on a single game?

pacmanate
05-14-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm only talking about swords sheathe. Club doesn't need any sheath, what kind of a sheathe could an axe have? daggers would be pretty much like sword, only shorter, and tomahawk seems rather fine right now, no?

And even if they had to make sheathes for every weapons........they can't do that with the number of employees they have working on a single game?

They havent made a great game since AC:B imo so no.

ProletariatPleb
05-14-2013, 05:21 PM
They havent made a great game since AC:B imo so no.
...what's that got to do with sheaths, lol and yeah I agree.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
05-14-2013, 05:21 PM
I find it amazing that Ezio an Conner havent got cut havin all those blades dangling from their bodies

dxsxhxcx
05-14-2013, 05:32 PM
I prefer to have one set of weapons with proper sheats for the entire game than have different weapons with no sheats, they're only there for aesthetic purposes anyway, the differences between the first sword we get and the most powerful available in the shop are barely noticeable...

pacmanate
05-14-2013, 05:34 PM
I prefer to have one set of weapons with proper sheats for the entire game than have different weapons with no sheats, they're only there for aesthetic purposes anyway, the differences between the first sword we get and the most powerful available in the shop are barely noticeable...

Agree, the only thing I notice is the Speed function.

ProletariatPleb
05-14-2013, 05:36 PM
^This, this.

itsamea-mario
05-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Well, yeah if you bought the the sword it would make sense to get a sheathe for it automatically, but what if you lose your current sword and pick up another one, how would you sheathe it? do you want the guy to carry round sheathes for every sword possible?

ProletariatPleb
05-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Well, yeah if you bought the the sword it would make sense to get a sheathe for it automatically, but what if you lose your current sword and pick up another one, how would you sheathe it? do you want the guy to carry round sheathes for every sword possible?
and that is a problem for people who wear heavy armour and parkour, carry bazillions of bombs, knives and poison, etc?

SixKeys
05-14-2013, 06:09 PM

The Skyrim pics Sidspyker posted show that a simple sheath can work for multiple weapons. It doesn't have to be a full-length sheath, just a simple holster to keep any type of sword in place.

pacmanate
05-14-2013, 06:22 PM
The Skyrim pics Sidspyker posted show that a simple sheath can work for multiple weapons. It doesn't have to be a full-length sheath, just a simple holster to keep any type of sword in place.

Which would work for straight swords and cutless'!

itsamea-mario
05-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Which would work for straight swords and cutless'!

A sheathe that holds a rapier will not hold a scimitar.

ProletariatPleb
05-14-2013, 06:38 PM
A sheathe that holds a rapier will not hold a scimitar.
When we change dye/outfit our character disappears and reappears because it changes textures. What stops the animus from changing the shealth on the go just like the outfit and dyes?

SixKeys
05-14-2013, 06:40 PM
When we change dye/outfit our character disappears and reappears because it changes textures. What stops the animus from changing the shealth on the go just like the outfit and dyes?

Good point. I really don't think this has to be as big of a problem as people are making it out to be. It's basically just changing skins.

itsamea-mario
05-14-2013, 06:46 PM

It changes textures yeah. But that's the same as buying a sword with sheathe from a shop would be. When dying it would be Ezio giving the guys whist clothes, getting them dyed and handed back and the animus just skipping it. That's somewhat explainable, instantly spawning a new sheathe in the middle of a fight isn't.

itsamea-mario
05-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Good point. I really don't think this has to be as big of a problem as people are making it out to be. It's basically just changing skins.

I'm not totally against it, just backing up the OP's point.

AssassinHMS
05-14-2013, 06:56 PM
You know the devs: Why do something properly if we can do a lot of mediocre things?
It's the story of this franchise... and the same can be said for the lack of a sheath.

lothario-da-be
05-14-2013, 07:03 PM
I'am ok with the sword sheets, but holsters are a must!

lothario-da-be
05-14-2013, 07:04 PM
You know the devs: Why do something properly if we can do a lot of mediocre things?
It's the story of this franchise... and the same can be said for the lack of a sheath.
This, they seem to be happy fast with certain things.

AssassinHMS
05-14-2013, 07:48 PM
This, they seem to be happy fast with certain things.

I'd say it's because: a lot of mediocre things + misleading propaganda + the franchise's name (which has a lot of influence on its own) = over 12 million units sold
Money makes people happy...

lothario-da-be
05-14-2013, 07:54 PM
I'd say it's because: a lot of mediocre things + misleading propaganda + the franchise's name (which has a lot of influence on its own) = over 12 million units sold
Money makes people happy...
+ Nice setting, when seeing the Havana i am already sold.Its probably for a lot people like this.

AssassinHMS
05-14-2013, 08:16 PM
+ Nice setting, when seeing the Havana i am already sold.Its probably for a lot people like this.

Yeah AC4's world is beautiful and while I expect it to be an entertaining game I don't think it will be a return to the roots (and that's important to me). Right now I see it as a pirate game with a few assassin's creed resemblances and, if it turns out to be good, I might buy it. However I'm waiting for a pure assassin's creed game where the focus are the core elements, the details and where the ambition is a matter of quality instead of quantity. This is what I expect from an assassin's creed game and, while I'm aware this probably isn't what would sell the most, it's the game I'd buy in a flash.

Bastiaen
05-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Creating a sheath/ holster takes ~ the same amount of effort as creating each weapon. I'd rather have half as many weapons, that all had sheaths/holsters. Without them, it just looks fake and silly.

lothario-da-be
05-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah AC4's world is beautiful and while I expect it to be an entertaining game I don't think it will be a return to the roots (and that's important to me). Right now I see it as a pirate game with a few assassin's creed resemblances and, if it turns out to be good, I might buy it. However I'm waiting for a pure assassin's creed game where the focus are the core elements, the details and where the ambition is a matter of quality instead of quantity. This is what I expect from an assassin's creed game and, while I'm aware this probably isn't what would sell the most, it's the game I'd buy in a flash.
This, but i would still but every ac game that is good.

AssassinHMS
05-14-2013, 08:43 PM
This, but i would still but every ac game that is good.

If they keep going down this route I doubt you'll find many (if any) that are actually good. Not to mention all those good games could have been great if the devs realised the potencial of the franchise.

lothario-da-be
05-14-2013, 08:46 PM
If they keep going down this route I doubt you'll find many (if any) that are actually good. Not to mention all those good games could have been great if the devs realised the potencial of the franchise.
True, ac4 will be my last CE already. I couldn't have thought that 2 years ago.

AssassinHMS
05-14-2013, 08:49 PM
True, ac4 will be my last CE already. I couldn't have thought that 2 years ago.

CE? Sorry, I don't know the meaning...

lothario-da-be
05-14-2013, 08:57 PM
CE? Sorry, I don't know the meaning...
Collector edition :p

AssassinHMS
05-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Collector edition :p

Ah thanks :)