PDA

View Full Version : "Small Weapons" in AC4:BF

GreySkellig
05-13-2013, 06:16 AM
Hi all. Just joined the forums. Long time listener, first time caller, etc. Anyway, one thing I've noticed in all the releases regarding the upcoming installment of the AC series is an apparent lack of anything fitting the "small weapons" category on Edward. I've always liked these weapons, the tomahawk, dagger, and so forth. I prefer them on occasion both for gameplay factors (speed and good counters make them ideal for quietly dispatching small groups of guard with haste), and for the role-playing reason that it simply looks cool to shank a few bad guys in a back alley. I'm wondering what y'all think the odds are that Ubi has done away with the small weapons. I can imagine it might make sense from a streamlining perspective, or simply to make character models less absurdly cluttered, but I sure would be disappointed if they did indeed nix the knife. It's a sneaky option that adds to the game, and especially for a piratey-type assassin, I think it's a nice detail to have a dagger stowed away someplace.

Obviously this is speculative, so no need to point that out. Unless I've totally missed something and there is, in fact, a small blade in evidence.

LoyalACFan
05-13-2013, 06:25 AM
We really can't tell one way or another at this point. I remember people were freaking out about Connor's weapons (specifically whether or not he had a sword or dual hidden blades) after the first couple of trailers, since they weren't displayed on his character model in those first couple of trailers. My gut says yes, he'll have a short blade(s?), but I could be wrong. In any case, they need to either make new animations for them or at least reuse Ezio's. Connor's short blade animations were ridiculous, he wields a knife exactly like a tomahawk... :nonchalance:

Sushiglutton
05-13-2013, 01:17 PM
It's a good question because in AC3 one hand was always a knife (flipped hidden blade), but in the gameplay shown so far of AC4 Edward is wielding cutlasses in both hands. So if you can dual wield daggers there has to be another system for that. Personally I wouldn't mind if they removed some stuff in the combat and instead expanded on the moveset/strategy. I never thought the short blades offfered any noticeable difference tbh.

montagemik
05-13-2013, 02:49 PM
It's a good question because in AC3 one hand was always a knife (flipped hidden blade), but in the gameplay shown so far of AC4 Edward is wielding cutlasses in both hands. So if you can dual wield daggers there has to be another system for that. Personally I wouldn't mind if they removed some stuff in the combat and instead expanded on the moveset/strategy. I never thought the short blades offfered any noticeable difference tbh.

I always found dispatching guards quicker / more efficient with a Dagger in the Original AC , maybe it was faster or maybe it was just my perception ............But the dagger just seemed more lethal than the sword somehow .

But i can definately see Edward stashing some kind of blade down his Boot - Pirate / Sailor = Has to have a knife / shank of some kind in my opinion.
Unless they leave small weapons combat as just 'Any suitable environmental object - Bottle / Jug / Mop / Broom / Hatchet/ Cannon ball .;)........etc .

Sushiglutton
05-13-2013, 03:16 PM
I always found dispatching guards quicker / more efficient with a Dagger in the Original AC , maybe it was faster or maybe it was just my perception ............But the dagger just seemed more lethal than the sword somehow .

But i can definately see Edward stashing some kind of blade down his Boot - Pirate / Sailor = Has to have a knife / shank of some kind in my opinion.
Unless they leave small weapons combat as just 'Any suitable environmental object - Bottle / Jug / Mop / Broom / Hatchet/ Cannon ball .;)........etc .

Can't remember how the dagger felt in AC1, I'm doing a playthrough atm will see once I unlock it. But I'm sure you are right about it! In the other games there were tons of stats for the weapons, but I honestly never cared. Combat was so easy that there was no incentive to understand the weapon system.

I think a knife in the boot would be sweet and I agree it is piraty ;)! Curious to see how those enviromental objects will work. If it's just standing next to them and tap counter, or if you can pick them up and fight with them (throw them even). Dropping cannon balls on the enemies feet would be awesome lol!

poptartz20
05-13-2013, 03:37 PM
I know Edward will have a blowdart.. but other than that I think he might have some kind of short blade, which it's the family sword I believe that it's the one from Forsaken.

LieutenantJojo
05-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Well, seeing how Edward will be able to dive in waters full of sharks and other fish, I'm fairly certain he'll have some kind of knife on him. I mean, he's a pirate/sailor, of course he'll have a knife.

The question is: "Will he have 2?". Apparently Edward uses dual-wielding, but unlike Connor, Edward seems to use the same kind of weapon in both hands. So does that mean he'll use 2 short blades/knives in battle? I'm inclined to say, yes, but there haven't been enough pictures or trailers to be certain.

Bastiaen
05-13-2013, 03:58 PM
It wasn't until like September last year that we saw Connor with a sword or axe. Be patient. I'm hoping that the blow gun will be as awesome as the bow + more stealthy.

GreySkellig
05-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Hm, I hadn't even considered the possibility of dual knives. I'm interested to see how the dual-wielding plays out, since there was a big hubbub about it last time for Connor, and that portion of the combat honestly didn't feel that different.

I also agree that it really makes sense Edward to have a knife underwater. Really hoping we're not going around swinging swords, as realistically the water resistance makes it ludicrously hard to build up any speed on a cutting edge.

montagemik
05-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Hm, I hadn't even considered the possibility of dual knives. I'm interested to see how the dual-wielding plays out, since there was a big hubbub about it last time for Connor, and that portion of the combat honestly didn't feel that different.

I also agree that it really makes sense Edward to have a knife underwater. Really hoping we're not going around swinging swords, as realistically the water resistance makes it ludicrously hard to build up any speed on a cutting edge.

I'm guessing (hoping) most weapons apart from hidden blades start out as Singles - Dual/twin sets become available later .............Though i don't think it'll take too long to upgrade certain weapons to basic twin sets = pistols / swords .

I'd prefer if possible a mix match of melee weapons - 1 sword + 1 knife , or for variety 1 knife + the Blow pipe as a Nightstick when empty of darts / or unloaded pistol acts like a Kosh until reloaded. Any melee combination possible.
Edward is described as 'Resourceful' ;). But i realise such variety in fast fluid combat is not so simple to implement smoothly.

pacmanate
05-13-2013, 05:05 PM
As well as where are the small weapons, what is this on his back? Is it a poison sucky shooty thing?

http://gamerfitnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Edward-Kenway.jpg

LieutenantJojo
05-13-2013, 08:22 PM
As well as where are the small weapons, what is this on his back? Is it a poison sucky shooty thing?

Yes, that is the blowpipe on his back.

Sushiglutton
05-13-2013, 08:24 PM

Wouldn't recomend sucking on that thing after you've loaded it with a poison dart