PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Discussions on IL-2 Sturmovick: 1946 and How to Use It?

scrapser
05-13-2013, 12:20 AM
I bought this game and it's very puzzling. The box says it has Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion and Pacific Fighters. But I cannot figure out how to launch any of these add-ons just to see how they look. When I start the game it seems to always be in Pacific Fighters. I tried picking an American P-51D thinking I would end up flying in the European theater but it's in the Pacific. I tried a mission anyway and found myself sitting on the ground at some base in a P-51 and hearing radio messages in Russian! What's that all about?

I must be missing something.

Is this just a bunch of missions all mashed together or are there specific campaign theaters (Europe, Eastern Front, Pacific, etc.) that you can actually play? And...is this game meant primarily for online play or is it a decent single player campaign type sim? I'm having a very hard time understanding how this sim was structured as you can see.

The documentation on this game is very frustrating. You have to go online just to figure out set up and play the sim because what you end up with on your computer is such a confusing mess! Bizarre experience for me.

I did manage to get into a flight already in progress but when I added power the plane started spinning (torque?) and all my controls (CH Products HOTAS) seemed to behave as if they were all reversed. Weird.

Would appreciate if someone can help clear up this confusion.

Incidentally, I bought Cliffs of Dover too and now I'm afraid to install it if this IL-2 1946 sim I currently have is any indication of what to expect.

Berg417
05-13-2013, 04:00 AM
There should be a game manual (PDF file) in your game folder which will explain a lot.

There are no separate add ons. Game content from Forgotten Battles, Aces Expansion and so on has all been rolled into one package. There are campaigns under Pilot Career or you can create your own with the Full Mission builder.

Tully__
05-14-2013, 02:44 PM
I bought this game and it's very puzzling. The box says it has Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion and Pacific Fighters. But I cannot figure out how to launch any of these add-ons just to see how they look. When I start the game it seems to always be in Pacific Fighters. I tried picking an American P-51D thinking I would end up flying in the European theater but it's in the Pacific. I tried a mission anyway and found myself sitting on the ground at some base in a P-51 and hearing radio messages in Russian! What's that all about?
There are only a limited selection of missions and campaigns shipped with the game.

I must be missing something.

Is this just a bunch of missions all mashed together or are there specific campaign theaters (Europe, Eastern Front, Pacific, etc.) that you can actually play? And...is this game meant primarily for online play or is it a decent single player campaign type sim? I'm having a very hard time understanding how this sim was structured as you can see.
It's meant for both. There are hundreds (possibly thousands) of user made missions available on the net. One good site is http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=1
You'll have to register there to download, but it's worth it.

For online flying, most people now use Hyperlobby for public matchmaking, support for the in-game server browser was dropped years ago. You can get Hyperlobby at http://hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?name=Downloads

The documentation on this game is very frustrating. You have to go online just to figure out set up and play the sim because what you end up with on your computer is such a confusing mess! Bizarre experience for me.
As mentioned above, there is a manual in the game folder. There is also a great deal of additional documentation online, the site I linked above for mission downloads also has a fairly comprehensive set of articles on this game.

I did manage to get into a flight already in progress but when I added power the plane started spinning (torque?) and all my controls (CH Products HOTAS) seemed to behave as if they were all reversed. Weird.
A combination of torque and prop wash (and in missions with bad weather, possibly crosswind also). You'll need to use rudder and possibly brakes to counteract. Many also find that locking the tailwheel helps if you're flying a taildragger. Note that in this sim, differential (right / left) braking is modelled after the british/russian system of world war 2 rather than the now standard US system. The british system used a single brake actuator (usually a hand lever) with balance between left and right wheels controlled by the rudder pedals....thus if you actuate brakes and full right rudder, only the right main wheel will have brakes applied.
With respect to controls responding in reverse, you may need to re-assign some or all of the control axes to get them responding in the right direction. See http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=261 for this and some advice on setting sensitivity and other controls related stuff. I wrote this one for the original IL2 Sturmovik game back in about 2003 but it is pretty much all still valid.

Would appreciate if someone can help clear up this confusion.

Incidentally, I bought Cliffs of Dover too and now I'm afraid to install it if this IL-2 1946 sim I currently have is any indication of what to expect.
Cliffs of Dover is a whole new ball game and has its own peculiarities. Both are worth the time and trouble if you can stick with it.

I hope this gets you off on the right track. Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Bearcat99
05-28-2013, 12:33 PM
IL2 is a piece of cake.. Hit The Nugget's Guide link in my signature..