PDA

View Full Version : A Stuttering problem fix that actually works

MK2aw
09-16-2004, 09:41 PM
I apologize if this is old news but recently I developed the infamous stutter problem out of the blue. I found this simple fix at sim hq. I will cut and paste excerpts and include the link.

This worked like a charm:

posted 09-15-2004 by ICDP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most recent graphics cards use a PCI latency of 248, this in some cases can cause stutters and sound problems as the sound card and other devices are forced to wait for PCI cycles. For those who are not familiar with PCI Latency, it is the amount of "wait" time PCI is allocated to communicate with any given peripheral. A device with a high PCI Latency setting takes more PCI bus time than another device with a lower setting. normally the PCI Latency Timer is set to 32 cycles. this means the active PCI device has to complete its transactions within 32 clock cycles or hand it over to the next PCI device. This means a video card which has a setting of 248 hogs the PCI Bus causing other cards to wait their turn potentially causing stutters and in extreme cases system crashes/freezes etc.

I downloaded a program called LtcyCfg which allows you to change PCI latency for your system devices, I lowered my graphics card to 64 and it eliminated the micro-stutters I was getting in Thief III. Click on the link below and download LtcyCfg.zip from the top of the page.

http://www.audiotrack.co.kr/spboard/board.cgi?id=FAQ&action=view&gul=36&page=1&go_cnt=0

MK2aw

MK2aw
09-16-2004, 09:41 PM
I apologize if this is old news but recently I developed the infamous stutter problem out of the blue. I found this simple fix at sim hq. I will cut and paste excerpts and include the link.

This worked like a charm:

posted 09-15-2004 by ICDP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most recent graphics cards use a PCI latency of 248, this in some cases can cause stutters and sound problems as the sound card and other devices are forced to wait for PCI cycles. For those who are not familiar with PCI Latency, it is the amount of "wait" time PCI is allocated to communicate with any given peripheral. A device with a high PCI Latency setting takes more PCI bus time than another device with a lower setting. normally the PCI Latency Timer is set to 32 cycles. this means the active PCI device has to complete its transactions within 32 clock cycles or hand it over to the next PCI device. This means a video card which has a setting of 248 hogs the PCI Bus causing other cards to wait their turn potentially causing stutters and in extreme cases system crashes/freezes etc.

I downloaded a program called LtcyCfg which allows you to change PCI latency for your system devices, I lowered my graphics card to 64 and it eliminated the micro-stutters I was getting in Thief III. Click on the link below and download LtcyCfg.zip from the top of the page.

http://www.audiotrack.co.kr/spboard/board.cgi?id=FAQ&action=view&gul=36&page=1&go_cnt=0

MK2aw