PDA

View Full Version : Game lengths in assassin's creed!!!!

hoodrat94
05-07-2013, 01:44 AM
Hello assassins! Main campaign length is an important part of gaming experience, and is quite crucial to an open world game. If you have a really big world map, you need a long satisfying campaign to support. How many hours of main campaign do you want to have in AC4?

AC3's director had an interview with vg24/7 and he had to say this "Assassinís Creed 3: ĎMaking games too long is disastrousí'

http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/03/assassins-creed-3-making-games-too-long-is-disasterous-ubisoft/#.UBu-osq9v1c.twitter

And i respectfully disagree, in games like assassin's creed where you dont really have story based side missions (like mass effect or borderlands) we definitely need a long campaign to support the map. Remember New York opening up at sequence 9, there was barely anything left to do! other than collecting pages and killing five random guards and other boring stuff!

what do you guys think?

SixKeys
05-07-2013, 01:59 AM
I don't care as much about length as I care about a good story. If you can tell a good, well-paced and interesting story in 10 hours, great. You can always add side content and extra missions to add to the game's length. AC3's main problem was bad pacing. It takes 6 sequences before you get to play as a fully initiated assassin Connor, the first 3 are drawn-out filler with his dad (one sequence would have been enough) and the latter half of the game rushes you from one linear event to the next. As soon as you arrive in New York in sequence 8, you are forced to follow the game's instructions with no chance to explore the city until the next sequence. That's just unforgivable in an open-world game. The other problem with AC3 was that the side content was lacking. So we got an extremely linear, badly paced and relatively short main campaign with absolutely nothing to do after the credits roll. Had the story been trimmed and tightened a lot more, I think more people would have been satisfied with it.

I would like a campaign about the same length as AC2, with the same amount (or more) of freedom and side content.

Assassin_M
05-07-2013, 02:02 AM
I don't care ?? where`s that ??

Quality > Quantity

ArabianFrost
05-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Give me MOAR. I am sorry, but an AC that has both history and modern elements cannot be properly condensed into a 10 hour experience. Also, the Egyptian pound's value compared to the dollar is dropping like a *****, so I must have good value for my money, since game prices are going through the roof now. Damn you Egyptian economy.

Legendz54
05-07-2013, 02:22 AM
Why not put both??? More Length AND a Good story?

thecodeman715
05-07-2013, 02:44 AM
I don't care as much about length as I care about a good story. If you can tell a good, well-paced and interesting story in 10 hours, great. You can always add side content and extra missions to add to the game's length. AC3's main problem was bad pacing. It takes 6 sequences before you get to play as a fully initiated assassin Connor, the first 3 are drawn-out filler with his dad (one sequence would have been enough) and the latter half of the game rushes you from one linear event to the next. As soon as you arrive in New York in sequence 8, you are forced to follow the game's instructions with no chance to explore the city until the next sequence. That's just unforgivable in an open-world game. The other problem with AC3 was that the side content was lacking. So we got an extremely linear, badly paced and relatively short main campaign with absolutely nothing to do after the credits roll. Had the story been trimmed and tightened a lot more, I think more people would have been satisfied with it.

I would like a campaign about the same length as AC2, with the same amount (or more) of freedom and side content.

Exactly what I thought.

hoodrat94
05-07-2013, 03:48 AM

The devs claimed that AC3 would be 20% longer than ac2's main campaign! they are so full of $h!t that i don't trust them anymore. A campaign as long as ac2 would certainly be nice! but i doubt its gonna happen.

hoodrat94
05-07-2013, 03:51 AM
I don't care ?? where`s that ??

Quality > Quantity

True, but once you run out of quality(main campaign) you want some quantity, and side missions in ac are linear not story based. otherwise there would have been no problem with game length.

ProletariatPleb
05-07-2013, 06:58 AM
I like long games, it gives them more time to up their quality in different parts of the story rather than trying in a limited scope and then failing.

monster_rambo
05-07-2013, 07:01 AM
AC3 took roughly 15-20+ hours if you complete all objectives and synchronizations. But the delivery mission, assassinations, and all the side missions aside from naval missions are stupid and lack substance. I rather have a short game.

Farlander1991
05-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Well... Assassin's Creed 2 was TOO long (though I played only the PC version that includes both story DLCs by default), the main campaign gets too drawn-out there (some of the stuff could easily be relegated to side content, like they relegated Nicholas Biddle to side content).

AjinkyaParuleka
05-07-2013, 07:22 AM
I don't care how long it is...just don't give us 10-20 Templar target,5-6 are enough if their characters are defined and personalities rememberable.

roostersrule2
05-07-2013, 07:25 AM
20-24 hours is a good length, thought I don't expect it.

Assassin_M
05-07-2013, 07:41 AM
True, but once you run out of quality(main campaign) you want some quantity, and side missions in ac are linear not story based. otherwise there would have been no problem with game length.
There`s no such thing as running out of quality. Quality is infinite in a product, if it`s there it leaves an impression and the consumer satisfied.

Regarding the side content, i think AC III has the best side content ever...Linear ?? of course they are....every side content in AC has been linear, but apparently some people just hold AC III`s side content to the awful delivery, letters and assassination missions and forget about the Naval battles, the Homestead, the Recruits, Kidd`s treasure hunt, Hunting society quests, Frontiersmen exploration and the Brawling championship...Sure some think those are ****, but don't give me the crap about how AC II had better side content....because NO..AC II had Tombs, Glyphs, beating husbands up and delivering letters...sounds linear and no better than AC III`s "crappy and linear" side content...

I dont think you know what you`re talking about, or bad wording just prevailed, I dunno...

roostersrule2
05-07-2013, 07:44 AM
There`s no such thing as running out of quality. Quality is infinite in a product, if it`s there it leaves an impression and the consumer satisfied.

Regarding the side content, i think AC III has the best side content ever...Linear ?? of course they are....every side content in AC has been linear, but apparently some people just hold AC III`s side content to the awful delivery, letters and assassination missions and forget about the Naval battles, the Homestead, the Recruits, Kidd`s treasure hunt, Hunting society quests, Frontiersmen exploration and the Brawling championship...Sure some think those are ****, but don't give me the crap about how AC II had better side content....because NO..AC II had Tombs, Glyphs, beating husbands up and delivering letters...sounds linear and no better than AC III`s "crappy and linear" AC III`s side content...

I dont think you know what you`re talking about, or bad wording just prevailed, I dunno...AC3 had the best side content but it also had the worst, I just don't see why they didn't just cut the bad ones, they served little purpose and money, time and resources could of been put to better uses.

Assassin_M
05-07-2013, 07:46 AM
AC3 had the best side content but it also had the worst, I just don't see why they didn't just cut the bad ones, they served little purpose and money, time and resources could of been put to better uses.
Agreed, but seeing how terrible these were, I don't think dropping them would`v left much space for anything more innovative, because these quests were put together hastily to fill the empty void of random quests...

roostersrule2
05-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Agreed, but seeing how terrible these were, I don't think dropping them would`v left much space for anything more innovative, because these quests were put together hastily to fill the empty void of random quests...Indeed, i'm no game developer but are random events really hard to put in? Or is there some other reason why they've been left out all these times?

Farlander1991
05-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Agreed, but seeing how terrible these were, I don't think dropping them would`v left much space for anything more innovative, because these quests were put together hastily to fill the empty void of random quests...

I have a theory that those were placeholders that they didn't have enough time for to turn into actual missions (and keeping them in probably had something to do with having to meet marketing/PR statements).

Indeed, i'm no game developer but are random events really hard to put in? Or is there some other reason why they've been left out all these times?

In my experience, everything that has something to do with random is a pain in the arse.

Assassin_M
05-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Indeed, i'm no game developer but are random events really hard to put in? Or is there some other reason they've been left out all these times?
They`re hard, but seeing the Homestead AI and Recruit side missions that implement Red Dead`s EXACT same concept, i`d say maybe something happened or they just decided to stretch it again as in "Naaaah...lets make em drool a bit then put it in a later game", i can even be certain that this may not have been developer decision entirely

the Random quests are technically there and appear in various side missions, but they`re not as varied and are not as alive as promised.

The executions, the defending, the rescuing, the purging of diseases...etc. All random quests and flow naturally and appear randomly as you explore the city. They`re not pre set or default, there`s a natural flow and cycle for these quests, but sadly they`re finite and MUCH less fleshy than what was initially shown in the E3 demo

rrebe
05-07-2013, 09:06 AM
the more the merrier, but since I'm a perfectionist and I like to just randomly play around the in game world the game will most likely take me at least 20 hours to finish, just like the previous AC games did.. I actually spent over 50 hours with AC3 to get my 100% sync :D

Sushiglutton
05-07-2013, 10:11 AM
There is this silly tradition in gaming, that when a new game is being promoted the journalists always ask the dev how long it's going to be. And the dev always lies. And everyone know the dev always lies. And yet this information is somehow relevant :confused:.

Anyway the length of the campaign is not that important to me, I care more about the sandbox. I hope and believe that the sandbox will be more enjoyable this time. Like I have said before I think the naval aspect will make it so with little effort from the devs (given that they have made the tremendous effort of building it in the first place). I hope the campaign is better paced and less intrusive than AC3 was. Stuff like the sloooow beginning (particulary from a gameplay pov), modern day missions, not being able to explore New York when getting there etc were annoying.

ProletariatPleb
05-07-2013, 10:29 AM
There is this silly tradition in gaming
:U You're silly!

pacmanate
05-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Over 15 hours?! Do you guys WANT the game to suck?

ProletariatPleb
05-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Over 15 hours?! Do you guys WANT the game to suck?
They kind of do already ._.

pacmanate
05-07-2013, 01:03 PM
They kind of do already ._.

Is OP talking about just main missions though? Bar side missions?

Because if its just main story then I would like to think 12-13 hours (In Ubisoft time thats like 5 but w/e). If it had side missions I would hope for another 3 hours. But only if they were good side missions.

ProletariatPleb
05-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Is OP talking about just main missions though? Bar side missions?

Because if its just main story then I would like to think 12-13 hours (In Ubisoft time thats like 5 but w/e). If it had side missions I would hope for another 3 hours. But only if they were good side missions.
Unless Assassin's Creed becomes an RPG, I don't see singleplayer story getting very long.

pacmanate
05-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Unless Assassin's Creed becomes an RPG, I don't see singleplayer getting very long.

Maybe that was a bit ambitious :P I just love Edward.

SixKeys
05-07-2013, 04:08 PM

Regarding the side content, i think AC III has the best side content ever...Linear ?? of course they are....every side content in AC has been linear, but apparently some people just hold AC III`s side content to the awful delivery, letters and assassination missions and forget about the Naval battles, the Homestead, the Recruits, Kidd`s treasure hunt, Hunting society quests, Frontiersmen exploration and the Brawling championship...Sure some think those are ****, but don't give me the crap about how AC II had better side content....because NO..AC II had Tombs, Glyphs, beating husbands up and delivering letters...sounds linear and no better than AC III`s "crappy and linear" side content...

I dont think you know what you`re talking about, or bad wording just prevailed, I dunno...

You're right. I guess I don't really consider the naval battles side content even though technically most of them are, since the naval part is also part of the main game.The naval stuff is all about tracking Nicholas Biddle, one of the main assassination targets, so they feel important, even if you're not technically forced to complete them.

As for the Peg Leg missions, I think I often forget about them because they were pushed to the side as part of the (mostly missable) naval content. Maybe they would have been more memorable if we were given a reason why Connor was looking for Kidd's treasure. The tombs and lairs in AC2 and ACB were tied to Ezio looking for AltaÔr's legacy and unraveling the conspiracies within Rome. In ACR the tombs were mandatory and had to do with finding the Masyaf keys. I didn't like the pointless side missions like Vlad the Impaler's tomb or Hagia Sofia because there was no reason for Ezio to be there, other than to endanger his life for another throaway weapon or armor set. I think the Peg Leg missions would have been more memorable to me if there was a good reason to do them. Connor didn't even know there was a PoE involved, he basically just went looking for treasure because Peg Leg told him to (even though there was plenty of money to be made on the Homestead).

So yes, the naval content and Peg Leg missions were good side content. The Homestead and recruits, badly implemented. I'd have preferred them to cut those features out entirely if they weren't going to bother making them good.

Bastiaen
05-07-2013, 06:16 PM
I think 15 hours is the sweet spot, plus tons and tons of quality side content, like in ACB. That game may have not had the best story, but it got the toy element right.

LieutenantJojo
05-07-2013, 07:09 PM
I think they should aim for about the same length as AC2 or AC3. The main campaign was long enough and there was a decent amount of side-missions. Of course the assassination and delivery missions were boring as hell in AC3, but the naval, peg leg and homestead missions were good enough. Yeah, it could've been better, but I was satisfied.

ACB and ACR's main campaigns on the other hand were waaaay too short. Sure, ACB's side missions mostly made up for the fairly short length of the main campaign, but ACR's definitely didn't.

So all in all, if I get about the same length as AC3, but with more polished side missions (decent assassination contracts, for example) and plenty of random events, I'll be a very happy man. At least length-wise. The story on the other hand is something entirely else.

Assassin_M
05-07-2013, 07:18 PM
You're right. I guess I don't really consider the naval battles side content even though technically most of them are, since the naval part is also part of the main game.The naval stuff is all about tracking Nicholas Biddle, one of the main assassination targets, so they feel important, even if you're not technically forced to complete them.

As for the Peg Leg missions, I think I often forget about them because they were pushed to the side as part of the (mostly missable) naval content. Maybe they would have been more memorable if we were given a reason why Connor was looking for Kidd's treasure. The tombs and lairs in AC2 and ACB were tied to Ezio looking for AltaÔr's legacy and unraveling the conspiracies within Rome. In ACR the tombs were mandatory and had to do with finding the Masyaf keys. I didn't like the pointless side missions like Vlad the Impaler's tomb or Hagia Sofia because there was no reason for Ezio to be there, other than to endanger his life for another throaway weapon or armor set. I think the Peg Leg missions would have been more memorable to me if there was a good reason to do them. Connor didn't even know there was a PoE involved, he basically just went looking for treasure because Peg Leg told him to (even though there was plenty of money to be made on the Homestead).

So yes, the naval content and Peg Leg missions were good side content. The Homestead and recruits, badly implemented. I'd have preferred them to cut those features out entirely if they weren't going to bother making them good.
very understandable, my plight was just this "linear" label on AC III`s side missions when EVERY AC side mission is linear

lothario-da-be
05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I want ac to be 15+ hours of story, and i hate Alew hutchingson now official because of his " making games too long is disastrous, but don't worry ac3's story is 20 hours long!" LIAR!

Rugterwyper32
05-07-2013, 09:01 PM
10-15 hours sounds about right for a game of the kind the AC series is. This is just counting main missions, mind you.
I usually do 3 runs in Assassin's Creed. The first one I take my time, trying to get as much as I can but not attempting 100%. I let myself use fast travel and do missions as I see fit and if I feel like doing them at that point or not. For AC3, my first run which was done this way took 25 hours. Did a bunch of the side content and got lost in the frontier many times just for the fun of it, so that probably took a few more hours.
Second one I do is taking it slow. I try to get 100%, I get lost in the environment, turn off the HUD and just explore around and try to get everything done. Reties if needed. I look at the architecture, mess around, look at the AI and try noticing all the small detains (This is, for instance, where I noticed the subtle differences between New York and Boston and came to love the architecture in New York). My run in AC3 like this took 51 hours.
Then the third run is a speedrun. All main missions, fast travel, skip cutscenes, GOTTA GO FAST. Took me about 11 hours. Man do I love speedrunning, that's what happens when you grow up playing Sonic games.

But yeah, I think the main storyline of the game being between 10-15 hours is good enough. Apparently the average for this game is almost 14 hours for main story only? That's pretty good if you ask me.

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=7978

hoodrat94
05-07-2013, 09:14 PM
I want ac to be 15+ hours of story, and i hate Alew hutchingson now official because of his " making games too long is disastrous, but don't worry ac3's story is 20 hours long!" LIAR!

There is no way ac3's campaign was 20+ hours, that was a lie. Hutchinson is not a worthy successor to Desilets.Period.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-07-2013, 09:31 PM
It took me 30 to 32 hours to beat every assassins creed game minus the 1st if i exclude DLC
I do all of the collecting and side missions..I interact with everything and get the full experience EXCEPT for crafting and 100% sync. I do neither of those 2 until months later when i come back to clean up for platinum.
This to me is a perfect length, I wouldnt mind lengthier at all, I believe with the size of AC 4 that this assassins creed will take mid 30s to 40 hours.
Then again I spent just as much time with Brotherhood as I did the larger AC 2,
I think 40 hrs of story, side missions, collecting, animal and treasure hunting, is a perfect amount.
Though I love assassins creed, I dont want it to turn in an elder scrolls game tat takes 3 months playing non stop to do everything in LOL.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-07-2013, 09:33 PM
The devs claimed that AC3 would be 20% longer than ac2's main campaign! they are so full of $h!t that i don't trust them anymore. A campaign as long as ac2 would certainly be nice! but i doubt its gonna happen.

It was through...go back and play ac2 without collecting exploring or side missions, it takes about 8 hrs to finish the story....

Assassin_M
05-07-2013, 09:35 PM
It was through...go back and play ac2 without collecting exploring or side missions, it takes about 8 hrs to finish the story....
Impossible. AC II has no skipping feature to cutscenes and those are 3 hours long. are you saying AC II has 5 hours of campaign gameplay ??

STDlyMcStudpants
05-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Unless Assassin's Creed becomes an RPG, I don't see singleplayer story getting very long.

AC is actually classified as role playing by game development researchers.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Impossible. AC II has no skipping feature to cutscenes and those are 3 hours long. are you saying AC II has 5 hours of campaign gameplay ??

Dude, I just did it on easter weekend..i had to replay because my subject 16 puzzle glitched...Its a very short campaign when you rush.

Assassin_M
05-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Dude, I just did it on easter weekend..i had to replay because my subject 16 puzzle glitched...Its a very short campaign when you rush.
Again, are you suggesting that AC II`s gameplay is 5 hours long ?? alright how about this ? did you have any accurate time measure when you played AC II ?? if not, your conclusions are not credible...Perception of time is a complex matter and is often inaccurate unless you have lots of practice..

SixKeys
05-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Everything is short when you rush.

Assassin_M
05-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Everything is short when you rush.
this too exactly, how can you expect something to be long when you want it short ? i.e rush

STDlyMcStudpants
05-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Again, are you suggesting that AC II`s gameplay is 5 hours long ?? alright how about this ? did you have any accurate time measure when you played AC II ?? if not, your conclusions are not credible...Perception of time is a complex matter and is often inaccurate unless you have lots of practice..

I didnt have a stop watch,,lmao but i started playing at night around 5 or 6pm and 5 and a half hrs later i was already in a flying machine...
Kick a Guard while using the Flying Machine.
Obtained on March 30, 2013 11:21:10pm

STDlyMcStudpants
05-07-2013, 09:55 PM
But anyway back to the subject ;D 10 to 12 hours for main campaign, 8 hours of AC 3 like side missions and 15 to 20 hours worth of treasure, animal, and feather hunting if you dont use fast travel ;D
Is a good amount lol...The only game series i enjoy colectables lol

Assassin_M
05-07-2013, 09:58 PM
I didnt have a stop watch,,lmao but i started playing at night around 5 or 6pm and 5 and a half hrs later i was already in a flying machine...
The flying machine is exactly 2 hours into the game cutscnes from the general length of cutscenes in the game..also, are you certain that 5-6ish PM is the time you started playing ??

EDIT: back to topic then I guess

hoodrat94
05-08-2013, 03:19 AM

I think you started playing on march 29th, and forgot about everything else because the game was so AWESOME! There is absolutely no way you can reach sequence 8 (flying machine mission) in 5-6 hours!

projectpat06
05-08-2013, 04:13 AM
Around 30+ hours for the main story. with all the side content and given how big they claim the world to be, it should be over 45 hours if you really enjoy the game. If they finally get smart and realize the random events really make the world alive give the player something to do constantly even after the story is over, then we should be able to play for longer than that. Red Dead got it right, Skyrim got it right in a different fashion, Arkham Origins is planning to incorporate this. Let's hope Ubisoft does the same

With a world as big as any Grand Theft Auto game and bigger than most Zelda games, it should be packed with enough content that can contend in length with both these games. I usually put in well over 40 hours on both

hoodrat94
05-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Around 30+ hours for the main story. with all the side content and given how big they claim the world to be, it should be over 45 hours if you really enjoy the game. If they finally get smart and realize the random events really make the world alive give the player something to do constantly even after the story is over, then we should be able to play for longer than that. Red Dead got it right, Skyrim got it right in a different fashion, Arkham Origins is planning to incorporate this. Let's hope Ubisoft does the same

With a world as big as any Grand Theft Auto game and bigger than most Zelda games, it should be packed with enough content that can contend in length with both these games. I usually put in well over 40 hours on both

And i agree!

STDlyMcStudpants
05-08-2013, 07:01 PM
I think you started playing on march 29th, and forgot about everything else because the game was so AWESOME! There is absolutely no way you can reach sequence 8 (flying machine mission) in 5-6 hours!

Keep in mind this was my 2nd time playing the game...absolutely no trial and error..it was running from point a to point b..i knew exactly what i could do and couldnt, what i could climb and couldnt climb..i knew about the thieves teaching me these skills etc...And I fast traveled a lot. I didn't play the game the way it was meant to be played the 2nd time around..i was just trying to get to the point in the game where i could get trophies i missed or that glitched.

Sushiglutton
05-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Record (speedrun) for AC2 on Howlongtobeat is 5:42. Don't know how reliable it is: http://www.howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=967

Assassin_M
05-09-2013, 03:54 AM
Record (speedrun) for AC2 on Howlongtobeat is 5:42. Don't know how reliable it is: http://www.howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=967
I think it`s unreliable...the fastest speed run in AC III is 10 hours. AC III has a skipping feature and the page says that there were 2 speedruns....