PDA

View Full Version : Corey May writing new stuff

she-assassin
05-06-2013, 10:06 PM
So apparently Corey May, the lead writer of AC franchise, is writing Batman: Arkham Origins (prequel to Arkham Asylum and Arkham City) : Link (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/04/17/the-storyline-of-batman-arkham-origins.aspx)

Did you guys know that? Does that mean he's not coming back? I mean it's a pretty big project, and it's coming out roughly around the same time as AC4 BF. I'm not saying he can't work on different stuff, I'm actually happy that he's one of the writers for Arkham Origins, but... uhm, what do you guys think about it?

SleezeRocker
05-06-2013, 10:14 PM
I think it's cool 8)

rileypoole1234
05-06-2013, 10:21 PM
I think I'm glad that a really good writer is working on B:AO. My worries for that game are happily melting away.

dxsxhxcx
05-06-2013, 10:22 PM
IMO only good things can come from taking a break from AC and work on different projects

nitres15
05-06-2013, 10:36 PM
thatīs cool i guess. Besides, Darby and Jeffrey could easily take over anyway.

ArabianFrost
05-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Corey wrote AC1, AC2 and AC3. I preferred the writing of all of these games compared to the rest of the AC series. If Darby doesn't write AC4 well, then it would be a grave loss to the series if Corey leaves cause he often produces the most deeply philosophical storylines. I haven't followed the Batman series yet, so I don't care much if he works on them.

twenty_glyphs
05-06-2013, 11:09 PM
I don't think Corey May will ever work on Assassin's Creed in the same capacity as he has in the past again. At least not anytime soon. You should read this article from a few months ago about his new role at Ubisoft:

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/2/7/3960084/alice-ubisoft-storytelling-video-games-corey-may-assassins-creed-far-cry

The article says Corey's new job title is "director of screenwriters at Alice." Alice is a new narrative studio formed inside of Ubisoft that basically exists to improve the story of every Ubisoft game. It sounds sort of like a research and development group formed to be experts that are very good and experienced at telling engaging, emotional stories within the video game medium. I would expect Corey's contribution to the AC series will be in improving the way stories are told within the medium more than individual plot points of the Assassin's Creed series.

The article saying he's writing Batman: Arkham Origins struck me as strange when I read it a few weeks ago. I'd bet that the main writer is Dooma Wendschuch, who they call the narrative director/writer of the game and feature in the actual video interviews. It strikes me as very strange that Corey would be working full time at Ubisoft and then contributing a lot to a game's story for another studio and publisher that could be considered a competitor to the AC series, especially since this year's Batman game comes out 4 days before AC4. Corey's involvement may just be in a consulting role since he is the cofounder of Sekretagent Productions along with Dooma. The interesting thing is that Dooma was also one of the writers on the original Assassin's Creed game with Corey May.

FR0ZENZiNE
05-07-2013, 05:58 AM
I think he's just an assistant and Corey ist is very fexible so I have no worries.

ProletariatPleb
05-07-2013, 06:00 AM
"Apparently" lol, he IS a writer on origins yeah.

LoyalACFan
05-07-2013, 10:53 AM
As long as they don't get the writer of Brotherhood to come back (ever) I'm fine with Corey taking somewhat of a backseat in AC.

AidenPixxel
05-07-2013, 10:57 AM
As long as they don't get the writer of Brotherhood to come back (ever) I'm fine with Corey taking somewhat of a backseat in AC.

Corey May wrote Brotherhood

ProletariatPleb
05-07-2013, 11:01 AM
LOL yeah. But he he wrote Far Cry 3 as well so obviously he's still doing stuff

Corey May wrote Brotherhood
No. It was Jeffrey Yohalem.

LoyalACFan
05-07-2013, 12:32 PM
LOL yeah. But he he wrote Far Cry 3 as well so obviously he's still doing stuff

No. It was Jeffrey Yohalem.

I haven't played FC3, was the writing any better than ACB? Because Brotherhood... jeez... That was the one that shook my faith in the series the most.

ProletariatPleb
05-07-2013, 12:37 PM
I haven't played FC3, was the writing any better than ACB? Because Brotherhood... jeez... That was the one that shook my faith in the series the most.
I have found that in both the game, the writing is............. pretentious. Now I'm a long time Far Cry player so I wasn't looking for story(since the previous two didn't focus on it either) but this is a bit more story centered and while the characters are great the story itself is...cartoony...yet again.

pacmanate
05-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Oh God :|

SixKeys
05-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Corey May wrote the brilliant AC1 and AC2, but also the terrible AC3. Jeffrey Yohalem wrote the cartoonish Brotherhood (which I like, but anyway) but also the brilliant glyph puzzles in AC2 and ACB, and The Lost Archive DLC which should have been part of ACR. Every writer has their good and bad moments.

If the news about Corey May's departure as main writer had come after AC2, I would have been devastated. After AC3, I'm like: "well, maybe it's good to give someone else a shot at getting the series back on track".

twenty_glyphs
05-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Corey May wrote the brilliant AC1 and AC2, but also the terrible AC3. Jeffrey Yohalem wrote the cartoonish Brotherhood (which I like, but anyway) but also the brilliant glyph puzzles in AC2 and ACB, and The Lost Archive DLC which should have been part of ACR. Every writer has their good and bad moments.

If the news about Corey May's departure as main writer had come after AC2, I would have been devastated. After AC3, I'm like: "well, maybe it's good to give someone else a shot at getting the series back on track".

I could not agree with you more. It's not that I want Corey May to leave, but after AC3's disappointing story it would be good to let some other people take a stab at things for a while. Let's also not forget that every game's credits had a line saying "Story by" which included Corey May, an additional writer (like Jeffrey Yohalem or Darby McDevvitt), and that game's creative director. We have no way of knowing what ideas came from who, but obviously everyone agreed enough to put their name on the story. I feel like Patrice likely had a hand in crafting the story of the first 3 games that was never truly filled when he left. Also, there's no way to know if some of the disappointing aspects of AC3's story came from Alex Hutchinson. Heck, some of the bad ideas could have come from management, or the writers could have had their hands tied on certain elements because the future of the series needed to stay open so Ubisoft can continue to milk the cash cow.

SixKeys
05-07-2013, 06:29 PM
I could not agree with you more. It's not that I want Corey May to leave, but after AC3's disappointing story it would be good to let some other people take a stab at things for a while. Let's also not forget that every game's credits had a line saying "Story by" which included Corey May, an additional writer (like Jeffrey Yohalem or Darby McDevvitt), and that game's creative director.

Exactly. Let's not forget that ACB was originally meant to be part of AC2, then an expansion before they finally stretched it into a full game. If it was meant to be part of AC2 originally, it's safe to say Corey May probably wrote the basic outline at least. Jeffrey Yohalem then had to stretch a fairly simple expansion story into a standalone game. Cesare was probably not more than a bit player in the original plan, but ACB forced them to turn him into a proper end boss villain.

Does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that Watch Dogs is what AC3 was originally going to be, back when the series was still considered a trilogy? The graphic interface has the same designer as AC1 and the freedom to tackle missions in different ways reminds me strongly of AC1. AC1 and AC2 gave the impression that Desmond was being built up to be the ultimate badass assassin who would have to use the skills learned in the Animus in the modern world. Then Ubisoft discovered the historical stuff was better received than the modern day story, so plans for the final part in the Desmond saga changed.

she-assassin
05-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that Watch Dogs is what AC3 was originally going to be, back when the series was still considered a trilogy? The graphic interface has the same designer as AC1 and the freedom to tackle missions in different ways reminds me strongly of AC1. AC1 and AC2 gave the impression that Desmond was being built up to be the ultimate badass assassin who would have to use the skills learned in the Animus in the modern world. Then Ubisoft discovered the historical stuff was better received than the modern day story, so plans for the final part in the Desmond saga changed.
Well, this is what I've been saying since the first trailer was released. Watch Dogs will obviously be what AC3 could have been if they stayed true to the original plan. I would even go as far as to say that Aiden, the main character of WD, will become whatever they had planned for Erudito to be before they ditched his/her/their? character. Did we actually find out any new relevant information about the mysterious hacker in the past few AC games? Nope. And I don't believe this is what they had in mind when they were creating the character.

Bastiaen
05-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Jeffery Yohalem did the best things with the modern story. If they had kept him on to write the modern story for AC3, we'd have been much more satisfied.

she-assassin
05-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Jeffery Yohalem did the best things with the modern story. If they had kept him on to write the modern story for AC3, we'd have been much more satisfied.
Agreed. ACB's story might not be the best in general, but Jeffrey seemed to be one of the few people who cared about the modern day characters enough to actually make them interact and further develop their personalities. The same goes for The Lost Archive DLC.

twenty_glyphs
05-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Completely agree. Brotherhood's story with Ezio and Cesare wasn't very interesting or developed, but his writing on AC2's modern-day plot and glyphs, and especially the modern-day plot and rifts/clusters in Brotherhood are what really sucked me into the series' narrative. All of that has been incredibly lacking since Brotherhood. They've sort of tried to work it in here or there, but it's just not nearly as good or interesting.

LoyalACFan
05-07-2013, 09:43 PM

Yes. And honestly, I'm glad they made a new IP out of it, even though we were left with piss-poor Desmond stuff in AC3. Gives them a little more freedom to let the modern gameplay stand on its own legs, rather than try and make a game in a modern metropolis while still trying to stay true to previous installments in the Crusades and the Renaissance.

TinyTemplar
05-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I think everything about AC is written long ago, so Corey May can do what he want)

LoyalACFan
05-07-2013, 10:01 PM
I think everything about AC is written long ago, so Corey May can do what he want)

Lol. You're deluding yourself. ACB and ACR are proof enough of that. Not to mention every other annual AC title that will inevitably come out for the next several years.

TinyTemplar
05-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Lol. You're deluding yourself. ACB and ACR are proof enough of that. Not to mention every other annual AC title that will inevitably come out for the next several years.

Why don't you think he already wrote the whole future story? Annual releases confirm my point.

ProletariatPleb
05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Why don't you think he already wrote the whole future story? Annual releases confirm my point.
Why would they get different writers for ACB and R then? for fun?

Darby himself stated he started writing the story in 2011 for Black Flag.

TinyTemplar
05-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Why would they get different writers for ACB and R then? for fun?

Darby himself stated he started writing the story in 2011 for Black Flag.

It will be a shame if main plot details for next 3 games are not written yet... I will be dissapointed))

LoyalACFan
05-07-2013, 10:32 PM

It's well-known that ACB and ACR weren't even conceived until less than a year before they released (ACR was intended to be a handheld game called Lost Legacy, and ACB was compiled from discarded material from AC2). So all of the modern-day happenings from those two games, if you are correct in assuming that it was all planned from the start, would have had to take place in AC3.

Do you honestly think we would have gone to Monteriggioni, retrieved the Apple, killed Lucy, met 16 in the black room, navigated the coma, did the Sync Nexus thing, joined up with William, hunted for all the power sources, found the Temple key, and faced the final save-the-world decision... all in one game? No way in hell. the Sync Nexus is particularly problematic, since it wouldn't even make sense without the Ezio and Altair content that was not a part of the original "trilogy" plan. Additionally, even if they did put all of this in one game, it would be so big it would warrant a fully modern AC3, which means no Connor to look for the Temple key.

Sorry bud, it's pretty freaking obvious that they're making this up as they go along.

TinyTemplar
05-07-2013, 10:38 PM
It's well-known that ACB and ACR weren't even conceived until less than a year before they released (ACR was intended to be a handheld game called Lost Legacy, and ACB was compiled from discarded material from AC2). So all of the modern-day happenings from those two games, if you are correct in assuming that it was all planned from the start, would have had to take place in AC3.

Do you honestly think we would have gone to Monteriggioni, retrieved the Apple, killed Lucy, met 16 in the black room, navigated the coma, did the Sync Nexus thing, joined up with William, hunted for all the power sources, found the Temple key, and faced the final save-the-world decision... all in one game? No way in hell. the Sync Nexus is particularly problematic, since it wouldn't even make sense without the Ezio and Altair content that was not a part of the original "trilogy" plan. Additionally, even if they did put all of this in one game, it would be so big it would warrant a fully modern AC3, which means no Connor to look for the Temple key.

Sorry bud, it's pretty freaking obvious that they're making this up as they go along.

I'm just trying to understand who told you that it could be planned as one game. I said that the main story is written. A lot of things can be added on the way, but the main plan ready long ago. Desmond's and Lucy's death were planned from the start for example.

LoyalACFan
05-07-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm just trying to understand who told you that it could be planned as one game. I said that the main story is written. A lot of things can be added on the way, but the main plan ready long ago. Desmond's and Lucy's death were planned from the start for example.

If by "main story" you just mean something as basic as "Desmond saves the world but dies," then yeah, that's probably been the plan all along. But AC was planned as a trilogy (fact) and there were some pretty significant developments in the two unplanned sequels in between II and III. The very existence of Juno within the game's canon, for example. And now, since they're done with the Desmond story arc that was initially intended to encompass the entire series, it's a safe bet that whatever modern-day plot they have planned for IV and beyond was never in the original vision of Corey/Patrice.

TinyTemplar
05-07-2013, 10:52 PM
If by "main story" you just mean something as basic as "Desmond saves the world but dies," then yeah, that's probably been the plan all along. But AC was planned as a trilogy (fact) and there were some pretty significant developments in the two unplanned sequels in between II and III. The very existence of Juno within the game's canon, for example. And now, since they're done with the Desmond story arc that was initially intended to encompass the entire series, it's a safe bet that whatever modern-day plot they have planned for IV and beyond was never in the original vision of Corey/Patrice.

Do you mean that Corey has no relation to AC IV plot?

dxsxhxcx
05-07-2013, 10:55 PM

what he said is what will happen during the modern days from now on wasn't planned from the beginning since these events won't be part of Desmond's arc..

LoyalACFan
05-07-2013, 10:57 PM

It's hard to say if he had any direct influence over it or not. All I'm saying is that whatever they end up doing in ACIV, both the historical and modern parts, it was not part of the plan for the series' story back in 2005 or whenever they started development on AC1. It can't be. Because according to the original plan, the franchise ended with ACIII.

TinyTemplar
05-07-2013, 11:03 PM
what he said is what will happen during the modern days from now on wasn't planned from the beginning since these events won't be part of Desmond's arc..

But something was planned. They've just changed it, not a big deal. I don't say they planned it from AC1 (they even didn't know how popular it will be, only in theory), but now, at the moment, I think the main story is written, written at least year ago.

LoyalACFan
05-07-2013, 11:10 PM
But something was planned. They've just changed it, not a big deal. I don't say they planned it from AC1 (they even didn't know how popular it will be, only it theory), but now, at the moment, I think the main story is written, written at least year ago.

Well... They've changed it pretty significantly. Which should tell you something about how solid their plans are. But yeah, they most likely have at least the next few games at least somewhat planned out by now. It's just completely disconnected from Corey and Patrice's original vision.

SixKeys
05-07-2013, 11:17 PM
But something was planned. They've just changed it, not a big deal. I don't say they planned it from AC1 (they even didn't know how popular it will be, only in theory), but now, at the moment, I think the main story is written, written at least year ago.

Thing is, now that Desmond's gone, they don't really even need to plan ahead. They could start a new overarching modern day story, but it seems unlikely considering Darby McDevitt said the reason they wanted to bring Desmond's story to a close was because it was getting too complicated to keep writing a modern and historical plot side by side. In AC4 the modern day protagonist is the player and the devs can choose to make each new game a standalone experience from now on if they want to. Corey May's main role as storywriter of the Desmond arc was to make sure all the plot threads made sense in the big picture. Now that he's moved on and Desmond's story is done, the other writers are free to do whatever they want.

In short, AC4's story was probably finished at least a year ago, but that doesn't have to mean AC5's plot is even in the planning stages yet. I'd say it all depends on consumer reaction and what Ubisoft sees as the most popular aspects of the series worth developing. Just like ACB was a direct response to fans who wanted more Ezio.

TinyTemplar
05-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Well... They've changed it pretty significantly. Which should tell you something about how solid their plans are. But yeah, they most likely have at least the next few games at least somewhat planned out by now. It's just completely disconnected from Corey and Patrice's original vision.

The main question is does Corey approve this new vision or not? I think Ubi gave him a new task to continue franchise and he did it. Because I can't see the reason why he can be not involved in ACIV

Thing is, now that Desmond's gone, they don't really even need to plan ahead. They could start a new overarching modern day story, but it seems unlikely considering Darby McDevitt said the reason they wanted to bring Desmond's story to a close was because it was getting too complicated to keep writing a modern and historical plot side by side. In AC4 the modern day protagonist is the player and the devs can choose to make each new game a standalone experience from now on if they want to. Corey May's main role as storywriter of the Desmond arc was to make sure all the plot threads made sense in the big picture. Now that he's moved on and Desmond's story is done, the other writers are free to do whatever they want.

In short, AC4's story was probably finished at least a year ago, but that doesn't have to mean AC5's plot is even in the planning stages yet. I'd say it all depends on consumer reaction and what Ubisoft sees as the most popular aspects of the series worth developing. Just like ACB was a direct response to fans who wanted more Ezio.
So his purpose was only Desmond? What about Abstergo and Juno?

And one more question. Corey May can't be alone, he must work in a team, right? It can't be all only his effort.

twenty_glyphs
05-07-2013, 11:25 PM

If they planned for Desmond to save the world but die by pressing a First Civilization orb from the beginning and stuck to that for 5-6 years and still went through with it as the ending to the "trilogy"... That's even worse than just coming up with that plot development on a whim. All that time to change the ending to something better and they still went with that?

I do find it really hard to believe that Juno in particular was planned from the beginning or even at the time of AC2. She wasn't even introduced or hinted at until Brotherhood, and it's highly unlikely they intended to introduce Minerva and Juno in AC2. I also find it hard to believe that Juno getting released upon mankind as the price to pay for Desmond saving the world was a planned ending to a trilogy all along. Who would plan a trilogy and then plan to end it on a stupid cliffhanger like that? It reeks of a last-minute change to supply a new antagonist to the series for the wave of yearly releases coming our way.

I can buy that Desmond was always going to be sacrificed to save the planet. But even the fact that his genetic memories were uploaded to "The Cloud" feels forced and like another last-minute plot development to keep the series going. And on a side-note, I feel like that cheapens a lot of the story as well. They can't come up with a new protagonist who has important ancestors? Instead, we're still playing through Desmond's genetic memories despite him being dead. I could buy it with 3 super-important ancestors, but now it's like he's still so ultra-important and special that we'll just keep playing through his genetic memories for years to come. There must be a ton of people in the world with Edward Kenway's genetic memories in their DNA by 2013. It just feels like a last-minute copout to provide a framework to keep the series going year after year after year.

she-assassin
05-07-2013, 11:29 PM
I can't believe there are still people who think that Ubi has already planned out the outline of another complex story that encompasses several new games. Because I honestly doubt it. I guess the fact that they named the next game in the series AC4 Black Flag shows that they have no idea where they're going with this and they definitely don't know how long it will take them to wrap the whole thing up.

TinyTemplar
05-07-2013, 11:33 PM
If they planned for Desmond to save the world but die by pressing a First Civilization orb from the beginning and stuck to that for 5-6 years and still went through with it as the ending to the "trilogy"... That's even worse than just coming up with that plot development on a whim. All that time to change the ending to something better and they still went with that?

I do find it really hard to believe that Juno in particular was planned from the beginning or even at the time of AC2. She wasn't even introduced or hinted at until Brotherhood, and it's highly unlikely they intended to introduce Minerva and Juno in AC2. I also find it hard to believe that Juno getting released upon mankind as the price to pay for Desmond saving the world was a planned ending to a trilogy all along. Who would plan a trilogy and then plan to end it on a stupid cliffhanger like that? It reeks of a last-minute change to supply a new antagonist to the series for the wave of yearly releases coming our way.

I can buy that Desmond was always going to be sacrificed to save the planet. But even the fact that his genetic memories were uploaded to "The Cloud" feels forced and like another last-minute plot development to keep the series going. And on a side-note, I feel like that cheapens a lot of the story as well. They can't come up with a new protagonist who has important ancestors? Instead, we're still playing through Desmond's genetic memories despite him being dead. I could buy it with 3 super-important ancestors, but now it's like he's still so ultra-important and special that we'll just keep playing through his genetic memories for years to come. There must be a ton of people in the world with Edward Kenway's genetic memories in their DNA by 2013. It just feels like a last-minute copout to provide a framework to keep the series going year after year after year.
I don't know, Juno looks like planned from the begining. And Desmond is so important because Juno saw the future and planned it thoroughly. It was the only way to bring the apple in the right place in the right time, through Desmond's ancestors. All this has so much sense.

I can't believe there are still people who think that Ubi has already planned out the outline of another complex story that encompasses several new games. Because I honestly doubt it. I guess the fact that they named the next game in the series AC4 Black Flag shows that they have no idea where they're going with this and they definitely don't know how long it will take them to wrap the whole thing up.

"AC4" could be better for you?)))

she-assassin
05-08-2013, 12:08 AM
"AC4" could be better for you?)))
What I'm trying to say is that they obviously can't decide whether they're making a brand-new numbered sequel or just a continuation of AC3.

dxsxhxcx
05-08-2013, 12:15 AM
The main question is does Corey approve this new vision or not? I think Ubi gave him a new task to continue franchise and he did it. Because I can't see the reason why he can be not involved in ACIV

the real question is: Does Corey want to continue on his job or not? In the end it doesn't matter if he aproves it or not, if the higher ups want something to be made "x" way or the people involved in the game do that way or they're fired/re-alocated to another project (probably the first to avoid the same incident from happening in the future).

TinyTemplar
05-08-2013, 11:58 AM
What I'm trying to say is that they obviously can't decide whether they're making a brand-new numbered sequel or just a continuation of AC3.

It looks like a brand new thing, imagine how much effort it took to bring the idea about free sailing to life. They planned it a year before (as they told).