PDA

View Full Version : Sex and More. Assassins Creed 4 Story Details.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-03-2013, 08:55 PM
We saw it in the trailer and got a hunch. Will there be nudity? Was this just a scene to give us a feel of this characters personality ?
Turns out No. Sex has a bigger roll than you may think.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12619635/kenwaygirls.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

Darby McDevitt (lead Script Writer) has said that this sexually explicit motif is actually at the heart of the game's narrative. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag will be the story of immorality and repentance.

"THERE IS A SPECIAL WOMAN IN EDWARD'S LIFE, BUT THERE ARE ALSO OTHER NOT-SO-SPECIAL WOMEN AS WELL."

"Edward Kenway is a raucous and bawdy chap," McDevitt explains, "but he's also a married man, and one of his primary motivation in Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is to get rich and prove himself a ‘man of quality' to his family and betters."

He also points to the return of the courtesan game play, "Kenway can direct female NPCs to seduce and distract targets."

BLACK FLAG WILL BE 'MORE OPEN AND FREE THAN EVER BEFORE.'

Like all titles in the series, the game will be pre-scripted for dramatic effect — That means there won't be any element of choosing who Kenway can have a relationship with in the main story; however, McDevitt says that gameplay has been designed to be "more open and free than ever before," suggesting there may be more decision-making is on the cards. While Kenway's relationship with his wife is one of the central struggles in the game, McDevitt adds the protagonist will also have a few significant close relationships with other women, including the infamous Anne Bonny.

He also went on to say that Templars will be very diverse and come from 3 different empires.

Excited?!

ProletariatPleb
05-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Beat you to it!

montagemik
05-03-2013, 09:09 PM
So a couple of semi naked women in the trailer & mention of significant other women to excite the kids .

Excited ?? ..................Not really , It's about as unexpected as the tide coming in at some point in a pirate themed game..

ProletariatPleb
05-03-2013, 09:14 PM
So a couple of semi naked women in the trailer & mention of significant other women to excite the kids .

Excited ?? ..................Not really , It's about as unexpected as the tide coming in at some point in a pirate themed game..
Not really, I'm excited because they might actually not skirt around the issues of that time like they did with III, they mostly skipped the 'details' of the issues such as slavery and racial conflicts with the natives.

Sushiglutton
05-03-2013, 09:14 PM
They did call it the HBO version of pirates. And all women in HBO series have a reversed nudity-clause.

ArabianFrost
05-03-2013, 09:15 PM

They seem like 3/4 naked to me, not semi-naked. Also, chill out a bit. This is just to shed some light on the prostitution aspect, nothing more.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Im excited about the 3 different templar empires and the bases of the story of immorality and repentance.
After learning this info im actually excited for this game :D

montagemik
05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
They seem like 3/4 naked to me, not semi-naked. Also, chill out a bit. This is just to shed some light on the prostitution aspect, nothing more.

But it's told us nothing unexpected since the launch trailer - So Sheds light on nothing ........................ A Pirate theme / Launch trailer & previous games means Courtesans were to be expected.

Sorry if i can't perform backflips everytime a Dev gives another interview stating obvious aspects . .

ArabianFrost
05-03-2013, 09:51 PM
But it's told us nothing unexpected since the launch trailer - So Sheds light on nothing ........................ A Pirate theme / Launch trailer & previous games means Courtesans were to be expected.

Sorry if i can't perform backflips everytime a Dev gives another interview stating obvious aspects . .

Still, there were some teeny tiny extra details like the Templar leaders, cause they want to keep the bigger portion of info for Major reveals like those of E3 and gamescom. You, more than anyone, should understand that news go to a stalemate before E3, so you're just expecting too much. I really do wish they release more info with each interview, but they have to parcel revealing info properly so they don't run out of marketing material before E3 comes around.

montagemik
05-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Still, there were some teeny tiny extra details like the Templar leaders, cause they want to keep the bigger portion of info for Major reveals like those of E3 and gamescom. You, more than anyone, should understand that news go to a stalemate before E3, so you're just expecting too much. I really do wish they release more info with each interview, but they have to parcel revealing info properly so they don't run out of marketing material before E3 comes around.

LOL i completely understand their marketing strategy ;)....................That's why nothing they 'reveal' between now & launch 'Excites' me - We have nothing but promises & promotion until launch.

Assassin_M
05-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Hmm....I don't particularly feel....anything...

I`m not excited at all..

YES

ArabianFrost
05-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Hmm....I don't particularly feel....anything...

I`m not excited at all..

YES

It's just a returning prostitute mechanic, nothing too enticing.

Assassin_M
05-03-2013, 10:48 PM
It's just a returning prostitute mechanic, nothing too enticing.
It talks about some story details too, normally this would lead me to starting some sort of speculation, but it`s not even trying to make me think a bit....i`m not interested at all

god, this makes me so happy

ArabianFrost
05-03-2013, 10:54 PM
It talks about some story details too, normally this would lead me to starting some sort of speculation, but it`s not even trying to make me think a bit....i`m not interested at all

god, this makes me so happy

Wait, your happy that you are indifferent? Did you have some sort of malignant AC-hype disorder or what?

SixKeys
05-03-2013, 10:56 PM
No source?

ArabianFrost
05-03-2013, 11:00 PM
No source?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/3/4296282/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-story-of-sex-and-repentance-outlined

SixKeys
05-03-2013, 11:02 PM
http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/3/4296282/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-story-of-sex-and-repentance-outlined

Thanks.

AdamPearce
05-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Wait, your happy that you are indifferent? Did you have some sort of malignant AC-hype disorder or what?

I think everyone got an over crazy huge Hype for AC3, until Ubi pissed on it with an horrible ending and by not put ingame many of the promises they did.

ArabianFrost
05-04-2013, 12:47 AM
I think everyone got an over crazy huge Hype for AC3, until Ubi pissed on it with an horrible ending and by not put ingame many of the promises they did.

Ditto. AC3 was the game I was most hyped for EVER. I remember running around in joy for minutes when anything about it was released. Ubisoft have really killed the AC fan in all of us,.so I don't blame anyone. Hell, I think I got some of M's chemotherapy and I now couldn't care much about anything AC4, which actually sounds more respectful of AC cores. The only thing that can get people excited again is to see the actual game deliver, so until then, it's indifference that prevails.

ze_topazio
05-04-2013, 01:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/L3cme45.jpg

Locopells
05-04-2013, 02:43 AM
Oh yeah!

TheHumanTowel
05-04-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm surprised you dislike Black Flag so much when you're the most blind AC3 fanboy on this forum.

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm surprised you dislike Black Flag so much when you're the most blind AC3 fanboy on this forum.
^This.

Dosenwabe
05-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Most gamers in forums are overly cynical and negative about anything and think they are of course totally right and others are blind. But fail to see that the problem is only theirs. I disagree with them at almost everything (not just AC3) cause I'm not cynical yet. There's a nice South Park episode about smartass people like you.

Sushiglutton
05-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Most gamers in forums are overly cynical and negative about anything and think they are of course totally right and others are blind. But fail to see that the problem is only theirs. I disagree with them at almost everything (not just AC3) cause I'm not cynical yet. There's a nice South Park episode about smartass people like you.

I actually kind of agree with this. Myths tend to grow in the forum bubble.

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Yes well, what he says vs what he does is very different, look around and you'll see Sushi.

Sushiglutton
05-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Yes well, what he says vs what he does is very different, look around and you'll see Sushi.

He does seem to be on some kind of mission :D! And btw AC3 was meh, that is a fact.

Dosenwabe
05-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I actually kind of agree with this. Myths tend to grow in the forum bubble. That's right, if you go out of forums (real life) or talk with random players online there's usually another consensus than in dedicated forums.

Sushiglutton
05-04-2013, 03:08 PM
That's right, if you go out of forums (real life) or talk with random players online there's usually another consensus than in dedicated forums.

Yeah they did manage to sell 12M copies of that broken, overly handholding mess that was AC3 ;)

AssassinHMS
05-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Ditto. AC3 was the game I was most hyped for EVER. I remember running around in joy for minutes when anything about it was released. Ubisoft have really killed the AC fan in all of us,.so I don't blame anyone. Hell, I think I got some of M's chemotherapy and I now couldn't care much about anything AC4, which actually sounds more respectful of AC cores. The only thing that can get people excited again is to see the actual game deliver, so until then, it's indifference that prevails.

I feel the same way. However, if the trailers and the interviews showed that AC4 would be return too the roots (you know, about being an assassin, about conspiracies and mysteries) I'm sure I'd be even more hyped than I was for AC3.

Dosenwabe
05-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Yeah they did manage to sell 12M copies of that broken, overly handholding mess that was AC3 ;) And most of the 12M players don't see it that way, cause their mind is not destroyed by internet cynisism.

Sushiglutton
05-04-2013, 03:20 PM
And most of the 12M players don't see it that way, cause their mind is not destroyed by internet cynisism.

Most of them probably don't hate Edward either, since he hasn't even spoken a word yet.

silvermercy
05-04-2013, 03:33 PM
"Edward Kenway is a raucous and bawdy chap," McDevitt explains, "but he's also a married man, and one of his primary motivation in Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is to get rich and prove himself a ‘man of quality' to his family and betters."
Except to his own wife. lulz (But maybe she was a gold-digger and told him to do as he pleases?? :| lol)

Now I'd like to see this "repentance" they're talking about. I'm guessing it's about his pirate life in general by adopting to the Assassin's ideology. I'm curious how they will show it though because right now I can imagine him bathing in baby blood. :eek: Maybe he becomes a recluse in a cave or walks the desert for 5 years at least? heh... LOL
I would hate if there was no substantial character development (and I'm not talking about 5-10 min towards the end where a "magic transformation" suddenly happens).

Gi1t
05-04-2013, 05:59 PM

Ubisoft in particular seems to do everything in their power to ferment cynicism among the fans by always responding to concerns with this 'Lol, everything's fine! :D' attitude. Players scream at them to do one thing and they say 'we think players will love it if we do the exact opposite.' They don't even try to answer concerns with words, such as saying 'here's why we wanted to do it this way and how we're hoping to get around this problem a different way.' They just pretend that no concerns of any value were ever raised.

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 06:07 PM
He does seem to be on some kind of mission :D! And btw AC3 was meh, that is a fact.
Yes it was.

Ubisoft in particular seems to do everything in their power to ferment cynicism among the fans by always responding to concerns with this 'Lol, everything's fine! :D' attitude. Players scream at them to do one thing and they say 'we think players will love it if we do the exact opposite.' They don't even try to answer concerns with words, such as saying 'here's why we wanted to do it this way and how we're hoping to get around this problem a different way.' They just pretend that no concerns of any value were ever raised.
What this man said.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah they did manage to sell 12M copies of that broken, overly handholding mess that was AC3 ;)
What the heck are you talking about?
Assassins Creed 3 was Easily the best overall game in the series history and as an AC fanboy I'd say best overall game EVER to hit a sony console.
The game wasn't "broken" at all. Sure the occasional deer would get stuck in a rock and the ships crew when you played as Haythen had twins when they werent supposed to, but it didn't BREAK the game. It was still 100% fully functional on it's first day of release and absolutely 0 game progress stoppers.
The only time a glitch got in my way was when I had to find and assassinate a guard in the frontier and he was stuck in a cabin...but i figured if he can get stuck inside, SO CAN I...so i worked around and figured out how to get inside like an assassin would ;D ..i got in, killed him, it saved and i fast traveled...no big deal.

And as far as "Hand holding" I can see where you would get pissed off at that in a game like uncharted, god of war, or pretty much any linear game because they limit your freedom enough, but you have an insane amount of freedom outside of the main missions, who care if they give you a 15 hr story and tell you what to do, it takes 30 hrs to do everything in an assassin game so you get half of your time doing things YOUR way.
I don't ever went them to take the original assassin creed approach "You have to assassinate people...go on"
It was so boring! A linear story and hand holding is needed for an enhanced movie like experience...Ubi knows how to tell a story and you may not feel the same impact they want you to get doing things "Your" way.

This game get's so much hate that it truly does not deserve at all.

It is the most ambitious release I have seen in a while.

Cornik22
05-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Except to his own wife. lulz (...) Now I'd like to see this "repentance" they're talking about. I'm guessing it's about his pirate life in general by adopting to the Assassin's ideology. I'm curious how they will show it though because right now I can imagine him bathing in baby blood. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/smilies/eek.png Maybe he becomes a recluse in a cave or walks the desert for 5 years at least? He's not going to "repent". In fact, SPOILERS (he's going to have a sexual affair with female pirate Anne Bonny and she's gonna get pregnant. Then he will marry another woman, giving birth to Haytham) END OF SPOILERS. Poor wife, I wouldn't call that repentance. :p

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 06:52 PM
as an AC fanboy I'd say best overall game EVER to hit a sony console.
And that is where all your credibility is lost.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-04-2013, 06:54 PM
And that is where all your credibility is lost.

For being a huge fan of something?
Theres a reason im a huge fan, because the games are awesome..your logic makes no sense.

"Uncharted is my favorite game but assassins creed 3 is the best game ever"
Much more credible, right?

joey-4321_web
05-04-2013, 06:55 PM
What the heck are you talking about?
Assassins Creed 3 was Easily the best overall game in the series history and as an AC fanboy I'd say best overall game EVER to hit a sony console.
The game wasn't "broken" at all. Sure the occasional deer would get stuck in a rock and the ships crew when you played as Haythen had twins when they werent supposed to, but it didn't BREAK the game. It was still 100% fully functional on it's first day of release and absolutely 0 game progress stoppers.
The only time a glitch got in my way was when I had to find and assassinate a guard in the frontier and he was stuck in a cabin...but i figured if he can get stuck inside, SO CAN I...so i worked around and figured out how to get inside like an assassin would ;D ..i got in, killed him, it saved and i fast traveled...no big deal.

And as far as "Hand holding" I can see where you would get pissed off at that in a game like uncharted, god of war, or pretty much any linear game because they limit your freedom enough, but you have an insane amount of freedom outside of the main missions, who care if they give you a 15 hr story and tell you what to do, it takes 30 hrs to do everything in an assassin game so you get half of your time doing things YOUR way.
I don't ever went them to take the original assassin creed approach "You have to assassinate people...go on"
It was so boring! A linear story and hand holding is needed for an enhanced movie like experience...Ubi knows how to tell a story and you may not feel the same impact they want you to get doing things "Your" way.

I wouldn't mind if for the assassination missions for them to do the whole," you have to assassinate people.. Go on thing" if they made it open ended, reasonably difficult, rewarding, and most important, fun.

I would also like the pistol to not one shot EVERY enemy and maybe miss sometimes. It would balance it more.

But yeah I agree assassins creed was an awesome and ambitious game. Sure maybe everything didn't work and most things did.

silvermercy
05-04-2013, 06:56 PM
He's not going to "repent". In fact, SPOILERS (he's going to have a sexual affair with female pirate Anne Bonny and she's gonna get pregnant) END OF SPOILERS. I wouldn't call that repentance. :p
Oh yes, I know that. I assume that happens in the start/middle of the game when he's still more of a pirate than a full assassin; later in life he appears to be more mature and wiser though. His settling in England, being a dad to Haytham etc wouldn't make sense otherwise. He has to become mature at some point. Right Ubi? Right?
(So how come he marries his 2nd wife later... I assume that happens around when his maturation takes place. Unless they show us she's a total dimwit of course or he met her within the grounds of a mental asylum. :| And then, of course, Haytham turned Templar. lol)

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 06:59 PM
For being a huge fan of something?
Theres a reason im a huge fan, because the games are awesome..your logic makes no sense.

"Uncharted is my favorite game but assassins creed 3 is the best game ever"
Much more credible, right?
Don't spew Uncharted on me, idk that much about it nor do I particularly care.

No, the point was when you're a "fanboy" everything is perfect for you about said thing and at best you can find arbitrary stuff that you 'dislike'.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-04-2013, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't mind if for the assassination missions for them to do the whole," you have to assassinate people.. Go on thing" if they made it open ended, reasonably difficult, rewarding, and most important, fun.

I would also like the pistol to not one shot EVERY enemy and maybe miss sometimes. It would balance it more.

But yeah I agree assassins creed was an awesome and ambitious game. Sure maybe everything didn't work and most things did.

I personally didn't even find it difficult..I thought the first assassins creed was the easiest..the only challenging thing was climbing to their balcony...but literally all you had to do was go up t them and press square..you didnt have to use stealth or anything....
They were all the same too, listen to a speech..run up to them, kill, escape.
To me, it was boring and repetitive.
I must be a rare sole to have hated every moment of assassins creed 1 lol.
The final fight was a bit hard though.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Don't spew Uncharted on me, idk that much about it nor do I particularly care.

No, the point was when you're a "fanboy" everything is perfect for you about said thing and at best you can find arbitrary stuff that you 'dislike'.

I just threw in a name of the game....I don't see bad in much of any games unless they are apparent and ruin the game.
There was nothing in AC 3 that ruined it....same can be said for bioshock..uncharted 2 and 3..god of war saga...
Im not fanboys of these series though....
Of course ac 3 wasnt perfect..character development was pretty bad..but not enough to ruin the game...

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 07:07 PM
I just threw in a name of the game....I don't see bad in much of any games unless they are apparent and ruin the game.
There was nothing in AC 3 that ruined it....same can be said for bioshock..uncharted 2 and 3..god of war saga...
Im not fanboys of these series though....
Of course ac 3 wasnt perfect..character development was pretty bad..but not enough to ruin the game...
Well it's alright that you like the game we aren't telling you to stop liking it, what we were talking about was that AC3 was received very poorly.

http://puu.sh/2vSz3

http://puu.sh/2tCRf

Cornik22
05-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Oh yes, I know that. I assume that happens in the start/middle of the game when he's still more of a pirate than a full assassin; later in life he appears to be more mature and wiser.
In fact, that happens SPOILERS (in the middle of the game, in 1720, when he was already a member of the assassin order looking for the TWCB artifact in the Bahamas) END OF SPOILERS. My only guess is that he's more pirate than assassin, unlike all the previous characters (if you know what I mean).

(How come he marries his 2nd wife later? I assume that happens around when his maturation takes place. Unless they show us she's a total dimwit of course or he met her within the grounds of a mental asylum. :| lol)
SPOILERS (This time you're right. That happens at the end fo the game, when he is much more mature than before, and chooses to start a real family) END OF SPOILERS ;)

STDlyMcStudpants
05-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Well it's alright that you like the game we aren't telling you to stop liking it, what we were talking about was that AC3 was received very poorly.
People bandwagon hated it like they do call of duty... -_-
Everyone thinks it's **** but we all play the f out of its multiplayer like its our 2nd job lol
I don't get the bad press at all...

STDlyMcStudpants
05-04-2013, 07:54 PM
PS
http://i43.tinypic.com/120god1.png
Notice how there are THOUSANDS of user ratings here and not just a couple hundred

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 07:55 PM
You're comparing IGN to Metacritic? lol

Gi1t
05-04-2013, 08:01 PM
People bandwagon hated it like they do call of duty... -_-
Everyone thinks it's **** but we all play the f out of its multiplayer like its our 2nd job lol
I don't get the bad press at all...

People do that with every game, especially with high profile games that give them an easy excuse to complain. XD Plenty of them do it just to massage their own egos. It's also true that many vocal negative commenters still really enjoy the game overall and play it all the time, they just have a lot of suggestions.
I do agree with people when it comes to the whole series decline and series direction issues though.

And I can't stress this enough, but just because you didn't experience technical problems does NOT mean everyone else had the same experience as you. No glitches in your game doesn't mean everybody else's game worked properly. I had to return Bioshock Infinite because the autosaving stopped working. Doesn't mean everyone else had the same problem, nor did the thousands of functioning BS Infinite copies out there stop mine from ****ing up. Sure, every game has its lemons, but if the rate of occurrence of major glitches is much higher than other games, you have a problem and you need to fix it.

I-Like-Pie45
05-04-2013, 08:09 PM
I hope there's like this minigame or mission where Edward's like drunk and he's beating up Jenny and Tessa until theyre both unconscious cause thats what people do in movies when theyre drunk and ubisoft will win awards by educating gamers on the horrors of domestic violence firsthand and then his acceptance of responsibility with Haytham will have more impact and he will be the most complex assassin ever

STDlyMcStudpants
05-04-2013, 08:17 PM
You're comparing IGN to Metacritic? lol
Not at all im comparing the user reviews..ign and metacritic are about the same for their base review...as for people that actually played the game as a consumer for experience and not to point out its flaws because its their job...THOUSANDS agree it's a great game.

AherasSTRG
05-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Not at all im comparing the user reviews..ign and metacritic are about the same for their base review...as for people that actually played the game as a consumer for experience and not to point out its flaws because its their job...THOUSANDS agree it's a great game.

STDI, you do not actually need to support the game here. 12M people have bought the game and I am pretty sure that they have different opinions and attitudes towards the game. I believe that most of them liked it and are keeping an eye on it. We may be some fans that browse the forums weekly, but we are not but a handful of individuals concerned about the game. Do not waste your energy argueing here. These are the official forums. Since 2010, every forum I visit (for every game) is about whinning about the game and saying how bad it was, despite the fact that people have spent many hours in front of their consoles or PCs.
You see, If you, STDI, wanna know my personal opinion, well, I find Assassin's Creed 3 the best game of the series and I totally agree with you in most part. Where I disagree with you is the scripted assassinations. While, the rest of the game can be scripted and deliver a cinematic experience, I want the assassinations to be open, so that one can feel as an assassin, as in the early games of the series and other games, like Dishonored and Hitman.
The only complaint I have about AC3 and it is a complaint that haunts me and does not allow me to be hyped about AC4 was the really bad optimisation of the PC version... My old PC was... well, old and did not meet the minimum requirements of AC3. So, regardless the bad economic situation here (I <3 Greece), I managed to gather some money and buy a new PC to play the next games of the series. However, I saw that my money went a bit wasted considering the fact that even my new PC could not properly run the game I build it to run.

Sushiglutton
05-04-2013, 08:54 PM

Most of the sidemissions are very limited in how you complete them. Trinkets, feathers, almanac pages, frontier missions, assassination contracts (if they could be called that) are all about getting to a point on the map and tap a button (or not). Hunting is about running around and tapping a button when you see an animal and the game does the rest. To climb towers you just hold the stick forward. In the naval missions the synch objectives are used to tell you which ammunition to use. Pegleg missions are entirely on rails. Homestead missions are super scripted. Boston/New York tunnels are silly, with dumb puzzels.

The game is in general very disrespectful towards the player. The player is not seen as a creative and intelligent human being who is capable of solving simple tasks on his own. Instead you are shepherd from green marker to green marker occasionaly tapping a button to interact.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Most of the sidemissions are very limited in how you complete them. Trinkets, feathers, almanac pages, frontier missions, assassination contracts (if they could be called that) are all about getting to a point on the map and tap a button (or not). Hunting is about running around and tapping a button when you see an animal and the game does the rest. To climb towers you just hold the stick forward. In the naval missions the synch objectives are used to tell you which ammunition to use. Pegleg missions are entirely on rails. Homestead missions are super scripted. Boston/New York tunnels are silly, with dumb puzzels.

The game is in general very disrespectful towards the player. The player is not seen as a creative and intelligent human being who is capable of solving simple tasks on his own. Instead you are shepherd from green marker to green marker occasionaly tapping a button to interact.

I can see where you're coming from..i guess im the only one that plays assassins creed to get away from life for a while. I love to get brought into a no stress world, it is so relaxing and casual.
Maybe they could add a no hints feature or difficulty setting for those that like frustration in their games. ;D

ProletariatPleb
05-04-2013, 09:20 PM
I can see where you're coming from..i guess im the only one that plays assassins creed to get away from life for a while. I love to get brought into a no stress world, it is so relaxing and casual.
Maybe they could add a no hints feature or difficulty setting for those that like frustration in their games. ;D
Yeah you play it to escape real life :P and there is the word you mentioned 'casual' the problem right now(as I see it obviously is) the series did not start like that but now it has become pretty casual and so the fanbase has been divided, the people who were used to the style of the previous games feel alienated because the franchise has completely stopped focusing on them.

Sushiglutton
05-04-2013, 09:22 PM

I'm like that too :p! I like to just wander in AC3. Climb trees, watch some animals, vault over fences, climb a windmill, hide in a field, pet a dog etc etc. It's real nice and like you say relaxing. But I do wish some of the organized activities had a bit more meat/depth to them.

SixKeys
05-04-2013, 10:20 PM
While I agree with all the criticisms regarding AC3, I find it childish to jump on a person and accuse them of being ignorant or not worth talking to just because they happen to like a game you don't. Brotherhood is my favorite game in the series and I'm well aware that's an unpopular opinion (especially on these forums). I know about and to some degree even agree with many of the criticisms aimed at the game. That doesn't diminish my love for it. Likewise, I don't blame someone for liking AC3 for their own reasons, as long as they acknowledge valid criticisms. (Like the bugs: it's perfectly understandable if you loved the game because you never experienced any major bugs, but don't just dismiss the hundreds of users who did.)

The hate directed at "casuals" is also ridiculous. I consider myself a casual gamer if the criteria is based on how much you play or how diverse your game library is. I only buy a few games a year. The repetitiveness of AC1 never bothered me because I didn't have that many games to compare it with. The people complaining that the "casuals" are ruining the games now don't know what they're talking about. I'm a casual gamer and I hate the Hollywood direction of recent AC games.

We all like games for our own reasons. As long as you can back up your opinions and accept that they are just that - opinions - I don't care what games you like or why. Just as long as you don't dismiss my opinions simply because they're different from yours.

Bashilir
05-04-2013, 11:12 PM
While I agree with all the criticisms regarding AC3, I find it childish to jump on a person and accuse them of being ignorant or not worth talking to just because they happen to like a game you don't. Brotherhood is my favorite game in the series and I'm well aware that's an unpopular opinion (especially on these forums). I know about and to some degree even agree with many of the criticisms aimed at the game. That doesn't diminish my love for it. Likewise, I don't blame someone for liking AC3 for their own reasons, as long as they acknowledge valid criticisms. (Like the bugs: it's perfectly understandable if you loved the game because you never experienced any major bugs, but don't just dismiss the hundreds of users who did.)

The hate directed at "casuals" is also ridiculous. I consider myself a casual gamer if the criteria is based on how much you play or how diverse your game library is. I only buy a few games a year. The repetitiveness of AC1 never bothered me because I didn't have that many games to compare it with. The people complaining that the "casuals" are ruining the games now don't know what they're talking about. I'm a casual gamer and I hate the Hollywood direction of recent AC games.

We all like games for our own reasons. As long as you can back up your opinions and accept that they are just that - opinions - I don't care what games you like or why. Just as long as you don't dismiss my opinions simply because they're different from yours.

This. This. Thiiiiiiiiiiiis.

pacmanate
05-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Damn..... shes so hot for a tranny.

Gi1t
05-04-2013, 11:21 PM

Well said. :)

I think the 'casuals' thing has become a bit confused since some hardcore and casual gamers have been moving more toward the center while others have been moving toward the extremes. (For example, I'd consider myself more of a hardcore gamer because I always complete a game even if there are parts I don't care for as much, and I like games that require more investment, both mentally and emtionally, as opposed to games where you're just doing 'stuff' for various basic reasons. That said, I don't play for extremely long periods of time and I really prefer being able to quit a game on short notice so I can go do something else. I don't like it when games make you go a long time without saving in an effort to be 'hardcore'. Personally, I just find it archaic.)

I think it's less the casual players and more the developers' dated notions of what hardcore and casual elements are. They don't seem to think they can blend the two at all, but I've encountered plenty of fetures in games that would make it easy to do so. The irony is that games have been moving more toward the center in a lot of cases, trying to spice up easy, simple games and trying to mitigate inconvenience in more complicated ones, yet they still treat them as separate, adding one feature that casuals will hate, and then 'balancing' that with a feature hardcores players will hate, so they get to make everyone mad. XD

AherasSTRG
05-04-2013, 11:23 PM
The hate directed at "casuals" is also ridiculous. I consider myself a casual gamer if the criteria is based on how much you play or how diverse your game library is. I only buy a few games a year. The repetitiveness of AC1 never bothered me because I didn't have that many games to compare it with. The people complaining that the "casuals" are ruining the games now don't know what they're talking about.
I agree with SixKeys. I mean, "casual" and "hardcore" gaming? This is not some MMO, but a plain single player game. The AC franchise has not really changed in regards to the player friendliness anyway.

I'm a casual gamer and I hate the Hollywood direction of recent AC games.
Don't really agree with that. I love my games offering cinematic experiences. However, specifically for AC games, I want cinematic-style missions, mixed with open story assassinations and side missions.

pacmanate
05-04-2013, 11:26 PM
I like cinematic experiences as long as they are done properly. Aka, amazing animations. Thats why I love Metal Gear and Uncharted.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-05-2013, 12:09 AM

Noone said any of this stuff. ;)

ProletariatPleb
05-05-2013, 06:03 AM
Somewhat related if you care, if not move along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7u8uFwa8I

poptartz20
05-05-2013, 09:47 AM
well... as long as nobody compared the AC franchise with CoD gameplay wise I'm fine. Ugh... I have such mixed emotions on that series. It's fun but I feel like it's become a tumor on the gaming society.

pacmanate
05-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Somewhat related if you care, if not move along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7u8uFwa8I

Sorry but this is ******ed.

ProletariatPleb
05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Sorry
Apology accepted.

Dosenwabe
05-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Why do they have to go back to that womanizing ****? -.- After hardly enduring three years of Ezio I thought it's finally over. :( :(

TRUKITTN
05-05-2013, 08:50 PM
I dunno about the other stuff going on in this thread so, in response to the OP: Where was this said? Is there a link to an interview or something?

I'm not sure about the vague wording, but it seems to be heavily implying that I will not like Edward Kenway. I really, really do not want another Ezio. The young Auditore's manwhorish ways was a huge turn off for me, and I didn't start liking our second Assassin until he began to grow out of it in Brotherhood. So, am I to believe that Edward is not only a man ho but he's a married man ho? Forgive me, ya'll. I just think there's far more dramatic ways to show a fella struggling with a difficult marriage than to give up and have him sleep around. His being hitched and behaving like that would make him even worse than Ezio to me, so this news has me exactly the opposite of exticed about the game now.

When I saw the trailer I was afraid of this. But, because of his expressions and mannerism, I held out hope he wouldn't be another Ezio. I mean, I thought hey, maybe he walked in on two ladies in that scene, since he's got mostly all his clothes on. Not that it'd make me roll my eyes at the scene any less, but it'd at least allow me to continue liking the character I'm having to play. Pity me, I was sorta hoping for an assassin who was something more like John Marsten in personality and situation. After all, having skanks in a game doesn't mean the protagonist has to be one too.

Sad to say, this news just cancelled my pre-order. I will definitely be waiting to get this game now until some clarification is made or youtube reviews are up and if it is what it seems to be, I'll wait for a price drop or deeply discounted used copy. I was eyeing the Collector's Editions before, so I guess I should be grateful for the heads up. I'll be saving a whole lot of money on this game at this rate. :3

silvermercy
05-05-2013, 08:53 PM
^ Same like the above posts... I thought the womanizing days were over, too... but, alas, we got a pirate... (the cheating part got me, too... I don't know how they will make him likable...) I haven't pre-ordered yet either for this exact reason. Will need more info about some sort of "redemption".

Bashilir
05-05-2013, 08:55 PM
I dunno about the other stuff going on in this thread so, in response to the OP: Where was this said? Is there a link to an interview or something?

I'm not sure about the vague wording, but it seems to be heavily implying that I will not like Edward Kenway. I really, really do not want another Ezio. The young Auditore's manwhorish ways was a huge turn off for me, and I didn't start liking our second Assassin until he began to grow out of it in Brotherhood. So, am I to believe that Edward is not only a man ho but he's a married man ho? Forgive me, ya'll. I just think there's far more dramatic ways to show a fella struggling with a difficult marriage than to give up and have him sleep around. His being hitched and behaving like that would make him even worse than Ezio to me, so this news has me exactly the opposite of exticed about the game now.

When I saw the trailer I was afraid of this. But, because of his expressions and mannerism, I held out hope he wouldn't be another Ezio. I mean, I thought hey, maybe he walked in on two ladies in that scene, since he's got mostly all his clothes on. Not that it'd make me roll my eyes at the scene any less, but it'd at least allow me to continue liking the character I'm having to play. Pity me, I was sorta hoping for an assassin who was something more like John Marsten in personality and situation. After all, having skanks in a game doesn't mean the protagonist has to be one too.

Sad to say, this news just cancelled my pre-order. I will definitely be waiting to get this game now until some clarification is made or youtube reviews are up and if it is what it seems to be, I'll wait for a price drop or deeply discounted used copy. I was eyeing the Collector's Editions before, so I guess I should be grateful for the heads up. I'll be saving a whole lot of money on this game at this rate. :3

Lol, so sensitive about something so unimportant.

TRUKITTN
05-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Lol, so sensitive about something so unimportant.

Right. Because deciding I don't want to put down something so unimportant as the greater half of a hundred bucks (or more, considering what I was planning to spend on it) on a game where I will not like the character I will have to play makes me so sensitive. In that case, guilty, I suppose.

lothario-da-be
05-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Yeeey! i'am 16 and want boobs and asses, and got them!!! I'am so happy ubi, make more of this please!

silvermercy
05-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Right. Because deciding I don't want to put down something so unimportant as the greater half of a hundred bucks (or more, considering what I was planning to spend on it) on a game where I will not like the character I will have to play makes me so sensitive. In that case, guilty, I suppose.
And I agree with you. Why is it so difficult for people to understand that such a trait is a turn off for many people, including gamers? O_o

Sushiglutton
05-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Sex, marriage, infidelity, choosing between plaesure and duty, safety and adventure are things people have struggled with for as long as humanity has been around. To write off a game because it seems to deal with these topis (so far we actually know very little) seems very immature to me. Maybe Edward will make misstakes. Maybe he will learn from them. Maybe he will transform. Maybe he won't. Either way there are things to learn from his moral struggles and hopefully interesting to follow the choices he makes in his life and the consequences they have. Protagonists with character flaws are often more interesting than the ones who behave perfectly.

I hope that Edward will be a slightly more mature character than Connor, who was basically a naive teenager, angry with his dad. Edward seems like the next step, no longer a romantic teenager who views the world in absolutes, but not quite a family man who takes responsibility either. This is a very interesting, and for me atm, relevant point in life. Can't wait to see what Darby does with it ;)!

silvermercy
05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
As it stands now Edward has all the characteristics of a villain. Not a main hero (even a flawed one). I will await more info on his character development.

shobhit7777777
05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Interesting
An actual lying cheating drinking SOB

And here we have people writing him off.....well done AC fans! Your powers of incisive analysis and understanding astound me yet again!!

*rides off on a winged pony*

Sushiglutton
05-05-2013, 10:21 PM
As it stands now Edward has all the characteristics of a villain. Not a main hero (even a flawed one). I will await more info on his character development.

Have you watched "the Vikings"? The protagonist, Ragnar Lodbrok (very well played by Travis Fimmel) shares many of the characteristics with Edward (as far as I understand). It's a great show imo and a lot of it has to do with Ragnar being such an unpredictable and vivid character to follow :). He is not a traditional good guy at all, but it works real well.

silvermercy
05-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Have you watched "the Vikings"? The protagonist, Ragnar Lodbrok (very well played by Travis Fimmel) shares many of the characteristics with Edward (as far as I understand). It's a great show imo and a lot of it has to do with Ragnar being such an unpredictable and vivid character to follow :). He is not a traditional good guy at all, but it works real well.
Hmm... you got me curious now! I will look for it. Thanks!

Sushiglutton
05-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Hmm... you got me curious now! I will look for it. Thanks!

His wife, Lagertha Lothbrok, is no pushover by the way, she's pretty badass :). Perhaps it's more fun for a Swede like me, but I def recomend it. Maybe it can make you more excited for Edward. The first season (nine episodes) has just ended. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/

silvermercy
05-05-2013, 10:39 PM
haha! Just started watching the 1st episode!! I love the Vikings! xD

Sushiglutton
05-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Glad you like it so far, it's very entertaining :). It has much better pacing than most shows these days, important things will happen every episode. It seems historically believable (produced by history channel) and the cast is just awesome!

pacmanate
05-05-2013, 10:52 PM
I wouldnt mind a complete ****** as a character to see how he progresses from that to a really kind father...

dxsxhxcx
05-05-2013, 11:38 PM

I'm watching this show as well and really enjoying it, a shame the first season only had 9 episodes, I'm eager to see the continuation of his story... :)

TheHumanTowel
05-05-2013, 11:59 PM
People seem to think a good and interesting protagonist means they have to be a paragon of virtue. That's not the case at all.

Syler99
05-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Wow this told me nothing save the Templars are now more PC then ever. The only reason I'm buying AC4 after the colossal waste AC3 was is the fact that its about the ships. The ships were the only thing I found engaging in AC3 Connor, playing as his dad for 6 hours straight, combined with the how I met your mother crap, and the piss poor way they handled everything save the ship battles ruined AC3. Hopefully they get the ship battles and ship exploration right because if not I'm returning this game and calling it quits. Their quality for the series as stupendously gone down hill their wonderful research is barely there or the games aren't showing off their work like they did in AC - AC2. They need to stop this releasing every year if its going to keep making the series worse.

Rogue Agent 035
05-06-2013, 03:06 AM
I'm of legal age an actually ok with the little nudity they showed as the tease, an fine with it if they sprinkle it through AC4..., But please ubi...., an I can't emphacize this enough..., PLEASE for artistic reason, make the women look like women...., Not 13 yr old boys like Catarina did at the start of ACB.

silvermercy
05-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm of legal age an actually ok with the little nudity they showed as the tease, an fine with it if they sprinkle it through AC4..., But please ubi...., an I can't emphacize this enough..., PLEASE for artistic reason, make the women look like women...., Not 13 yr old boys like Catarina did at the start of ACB.
And also nudity should include male nudity, too, or I'll be majorly p***ed off... Thanks in advance Ubi. :)

LoyalACFan
05-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Honestly, I love that they're taking on a grittier, more mature tone in this one. I felt like ACIII (and really, all of the AC games after AC1) skirted around some of the darker elements of the plot. III was just a particularly powerful example; they did bring up the notion that Connor had been essentially duped into winning a war for people who owned slaves and treated the natives like animals, but it was never driven home like it could have been. Honestly, that would be pretty ****ing horrifying for someone in Connor's position, but all we got was some throwaway dialogue and that brief slave auction scene to explore the moral ambiguity of his situation.

So yeah, I'm glad ACIV is going to muddy up the water again and make things less clear-cut. And if that requires Edward to be a complete bastard, well, so be it.

Sushiglutton
05-06-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm watching this show as well and really enjoying it, a shame the first season only had 9 episodes, I'm eager to see the continuation of his story... :)

Yeah me too :). But I'm happy they go for quality and pacing. Waiting to 2014 will be painful though!

Bastiaen
05-06-2013, 04:23 PM
So, I have really mixed feelings about this. I really don't think that the sexuality is necessary in these games, nor do I want them to throw eye candy in there for its own sake.
On the other hand, redemption stories tend to be the most emotional and interesting narratives. I find that I can relate to a character who comes to the realization that something is wrong about his lifestyle, and has the stones to change it.

SleezeRocker
05-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Will we have choices like this in the game? :P

http://i43.tinypic.com/303jv9f.jpg

AvK KiNgKoBrA
05-06-2013, 04:58 PM
3 Empires? Spain, France, an Britain………

joey-4321_web
05-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Will we have choices like this in the game? :P

http://i43.tinypic.com/303jv9f.jpg

These are the important questions in life

RatonhnhakeFan
05-10-2013, 11:40 PM
We saw it in the trailer and got a hunch. Will there be nudity? Was this just a scene to give us a feel of this characters personality ?
Turns out No. Sex has a bigger roll than you may think.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12619635/kenwaygirls.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

Darby McDevitt (lead Script Writer) has said that this sexually explicit motif is actually at the heart of the game's narrative. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag will be the story of immorality and repentance.

"THERE IS A SPECIAL WOMAN IN EDWARD'S LIFE, BUT THERE ARE ALSO OTHER NOT-SO-SPECIAL WOMEN AS WELL."

He also points to the return of the courtesan game play, "Kenway can direct female NPCs to seduce and distract targets."

BLACK FLAG WILL BE 'MORE OPEN AND FREE THAN EVER BEFORE.'

Like all titles in the series, the game will be pre-scripted for dramatic effect — That means there won't be any element of choosing who Kenway can have a relationship with in the main story; however, McDevitt says that gameplay has been designed to be "more open and free than ever before," suggesting there may be more decision-making is on the cards. While Kenway's relationship with his wife is one of the central struggles in the game, McDevitt adds the protagonist will also have a few significant close relationships with other women, including the infamous Anne Bonny.

He also went on to say that Templars will be very diverse and come from 3 different empires.

Excited?!Poor Darby. Having to make up all these excuses that cover nothing more than a simple fact that Ubisoft marketing departement said "next game needs more boobies and scoring chicks for our straight male audience".

AherasSTRG
05-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Poor Darby. Having to make up all these excuses that cover nothing more than a simple fact that Ubisoft marketing departement said "next game needs more boobies and scoring chicks for our straight male audience".
Let's not delude ourselves. There is no way they are going to show something more than what we saw in the great Mass Effect series.