PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Brotherhood? (AC4)

MDP96
04-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Well I've watched the trailers, as I'm sure you all have, for AC4 and immediately I'm bothered by something. Where are the Assassins? I know Edward is but that's not the point. One of my least favorite things about AC3 is that Connor and Achilles are the ONLY Assassins. Not George Washington, not Sam Adams, not Paul Revere, just freaking Connor. What happened to the brotherhood? Remember when we had Machiavelli, Bartolomeo, La Volpe, and even Claudia as Assassins? I mean we don't know for sure if Blackbeard isn't an Assassins or if Edwards "crew" aren't Assassins but it seems like they just want them to be pirates. That totally kills the whole point of AC which is Assassins vs. Templars. Not one man bad *** vs. templars. Doesn't it bother anyone else that things that used to be pivotal in AC (pieces of eden, the brotherhood, etc.) no longer seem important? :confused:

SixKeys
04-29-2013, 02:09 AM
In AC3 the brotherhood had been wiped out by the Templars, that's why Achilles and Connor are the only ones left. Connor is the one to start recruiting members and build up the brotherhood again, but they didn't focus enough on this aspect of the story IMO.

In AC4 Edward is "a pirate trained by assassins" so the brotherhood is sure to feature in some way. We just don't know how yet.

Abeonis
04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
All that has been said is that a form of the recruitment system from Brotherhood will be returning, not that we will be recruiting Assassins. Personally, I think it's more likely that we will be recruiting crew members for the Jackdaw.

ZeSpecter
04-29-2013, 01:34 PM
All that has been said is that a form of the recruitment system from Brotherhood will be returning, not that we will be recruiting Assassins. Personally, I think it's more likely that we will be recruiting crew members for the Jackdaw.
I'm not sure about that, because females on a ship brought misfortune in the sailors/pirates eyes. The Brotherhood is pretty much like equality for all which doesn't really fit with sailors/pirates, so I still think that we will be recruiting assassins and not pirates.

pacmanate
04-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Its confirmed that there is a Brotherhood in this one, a more established Brotherhood. I think Darby said it in an interview but I forget where from/

Jack_Pirate
04-29-2013, 05:34 PM
According to the Pirate Code, bringing women aboard, even if disguised as a man, was a crime against the code under penalty of death

Isensol
04-29-2013, 07:59 PM
According to the Pirate Code, bringing women aboard, even if disguised as a man, was a crime against the code under penalty of death

There was a belief, yes, that female sailors would bring bad luck but it was more of a practical reasoning not to have females aboard a ship as for punishment being death? I doubt it, marooning would be the most likely response, probably leaving the man and women who committed the act on an island.Also pirate beliefs were not uniform each ship had their own guidelines and rules. And I apologize if any of this offends someone but I'm just stating the "general" belief of the time~

Females would cause discord through sexual tension and cause unneeded distractions.
A ship with a bunch of men on board will cause sort of thing since there isn't a "satisfying" outlet out in the middle of the ocean.

Females were not up to the hard work of maintaining a ship, even many males weren't up to it. Maintaining a ship was HARD work.
Some females could and some males could work as a crew member but few males could and even fewer females could especially considering the fact males would have more chance to gain sailing experience though legal means and be conditioned to the job.

A female pirate would have to have a pair of eyes on her in-case the sexual tensions caused fellow crew members to commit a crime (rape or molestation)
In which case the crew member may be dealt with in a way that leaves the ship down a crew member and which in turn would cause more stress on everyone. And yes some females could look after themselves but if it were more then one crew member to ... offend the female in question would need some form of protector as to not be abused.

At any rate these were the reasoning's behind not having a female aboard a pirate ship. of course not all ships would abide by these ideas and what not and would have female pirates. Though only I believe 2 are officially confirmed during the golden age of piracy.

As for the state of the brotherhood I'm hoping we'll see a return of assassin bureau in the form of informants in bars or some such. And Perhaps once recruiting a crew member and having them survive and fight alongside for long enough may be recruited into the brotherhood and gain some form of bonus when in combat? *shrug* the brotherhood I'm willing to bet is scattered more widely then previously and will have a small home base of sorts.

lothario-da-be
04-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Maybe showing the brotherhood will cause lots of spoilers? I prefer to see almost nothing story related.