PDA

View Full Version : Should Assassin's Creed series

Isensol
04-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Start implementing a save anytime feature instead of having only checkpoint saves?

ProletariatPleb
04-28-2013, 07:44 PM
I would like that but doubt they'll do it and nor a LOT of need for it really.

AssassinHMS
04-28-2013, 07:49 PM
I support your idea if the checkpoint saves were to apply only for missions. A game like Assassin's Creed where every choice you make is eternal could benefit from that. For example, if I don't like the armor I just bought in the blacksmith I'll simply load the last save file or quit the game without saving.

ProletariatPleb
04-28-2013, 07:51 PM
I support your idea if the checkpoint saves were to apply only for missions. A game like Assassin's Creed where every choice you make is eternal could benefit from that. For example, if I don't like the armor I just bought in the blacksmith I'll simply load the last save file or quit the game without saving.
or saving before I go somewhere and so that if something happens I can reload last save and don't have to do it from the beginning.

Isensol
04-28-2013, 07:53 PM
I would like that but doubt they'll do it and nor a LOT of need for it really.

hehe I would like it too, true there isn't a huge need for it but the checkpoint system has always been a bit annoying to me since I don't always have time to to run to a tower to synch or run to a chest and open it sometimes I have to get up and go without warning as do many. The only problem I can see to this is all the coding and potential bugs especially since each game has gotten bigger and bigger it would be harder and harder to have a save keep track of all the data.

Also pet peeve of mine is to know I got a checkpoint and then quit just to find when I load up I have no idea where I am or what I was doing because it spawned me somewhat randomly in a city instead of somewhere distinct.

Gi1t
04-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Although there isn't any burning need for it, having manual saving like that is always better than just autosaving. I have no idea why so many games are moving toward autosaving only that used to use manual. I can't think of a single advantage to having only automatic saving as opposed to having manual saving or having both manual and autosaving like in Elder Scrolls.

I recently tried Bioshock Infinte and they always used manual saving up until Infinite and what do you know? About a chapter and a half in, the game's automatic saving stops working. It says it's saving, but it doesn't do it, and I've got no way to save my game. -__- SO I had to return the game immediately for the full refund and got Darksiders II instead. So what, I ask, could possibly be gained by using only automatic saving?

AssassinHMS
04-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Although there isn't any burning need for it, having manual saving like that is always better than just autosaving. I have no idea why so many games are moving toward autosaving only that used to use manual. I can't think of a single advantage to having only automatic saving as opposed to having manual saving or having both manual and autosaving like in Elder Scrolls.

I recently tried Bioshock Infinte and they always used manual saving up until Infinite and what do you know? About a chapter and a half in, the game's automatic saving stops working. It says it's saving, but it doesn't do it, and I've got no way to save my game. -__- SO I had to return the game immediately for the full refund and got Darksiders II instead. So what, I ask, could possibly be gained by using only automatic saving?

I'm not sure...Maybe saving manually breaks the immersion and brings you back to reality forcing you to remember you're just playing a game...
Still, I prefer saving manually.

Isensol
04-28-2013, 08:22 PM
or saving before I go somewhere and so that if something happens I can reload last save and don't have to do it from the beginning.

Manual saving has a lot of data and such that needs to be stored and sometimes when an action or script is being performed it can cause weird bugs if saved during it and can take a lot of time to fix, and checkpoint saves are really really easy in comparison. Though that said a manual save I BELIEVE can be made so that it saves only the essentials like where you are in the world and an other things of note while leaving baddies and people back where they would default spawn, so in essence you save only yourself and everything else is simply checkpoint saved.
And ya that Infinite save was annoying as heck.
The point is I prefer and I think many others do prefer manual saves, I just want to see how many people agree upon it or don't ^^ (and maybe ubi will take note and think on it)

As for breaking immersion~ not really wouldn't be that weird for Abstergo or Becca to upgrade the animus so that a person in the memory can save the memory in a certain time and place... Sort of freeze framing it.

xboxauditore
04-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Yes, All games should have this. The fact you cant do this in Bioshock Infinite made me want to cry.

SixKeys
04-28-2013, 10:53 PM
The checkpoint system in AC is very good IMO. Every action you perform, even if it's just opening a treasure chest, saves your progress. I've never had it that I lost a lot of progress due to a crash or whatever. So I don't think it's needed.

AssassinHMS
04-28-2013, 10:59 PM
The checkpoint system in AC is very good IMO. Every action you perform, even if it's just opening a treasure chest, saves your progress. I've never had it that I lost a lot of progress due to a crash or whatever. So I don't think it's needed.

Yes but what if you regret opening that treasure chest? There's no turning back with the autosave feature...

Bashilir
04-29-2013, 02:43 AM
Yes but what if you regret opening that treasure chest? There's no turning back with the autosave feature...

You're joking right?

Dosenwabe
04-29-2013, 02:55 AM
AC saves the game after every poop, so no it would be stupid and useless.

Gi1t
04-29-2013, 03:17 AM
You're joking right?

Sort of, but not every situation is just perfect for saving. If AC didn't baby you so much and would save your current health, items and exact location, you may not want a save point which can stick you in a terrible position. Autosaving works okay with a game like AC, but being able to choose saves in general has a lot of advantages over autosaving.

Manual saving has a lot of data and such that needs to be stored and sometimes when an action or script is being performed it can cause weird bugs if saved during it and can take a lot of time to fix, and checkpoint saves are really really easy in comparison. Though that said a manual save I BELIEVE can be made so that it saves only the essentials like where you are in the world and an other things of note while leaving baddies and people back where they would default spawn, so in essence you save only yourself and everything else is simply checkpoint saved.

Yeah, that's what games like Zelda and Darksiders do. :)

Sushiglutton
04-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Farcry 3 had a perfect save system. I rarely saved manually, but a couple of times when I wanted to quit instatly I did. So preety much what TC suggests.

AssassinHMS
04-29-2013, 11:39 AM
You're joking right?

In ACB I have 3 save files: 1 where Ezio has only one hidden blade and no armor, a second where I bought the double hidden blade from Leonardo and a third where I bought all the armor. Why? Because I can't unequip or go back after I buy something in AC. With manual save I could try armor and whatnot and decide if I'm satisfied because, if I'm not, all I need to do is to load the last save file or quit the game without saving.
Like I said, in AC, every step you take is eternal and the manual saving feature would provide a way to go back, to correct any mistake.

ProletariatPleb
04-29-2013, 11:42 AM
^What he said, I regret buying armour etc. So I had to do a playthru where I brought everything except the chestplate because that way it felt satisfying when in combat and makes sense why we can freerun.

AssassinHMS
04-29-2013, 12:16 PM
^What he said, I regret buying armour etc. So I had to do a playthru where I brought everything except the chestplate because that way it felt satisfying when in combat and makes sense why we can freerun.

Exactly. Now that I think about it I miss being able to choose between one or two hidden blades... Personally I think having two hidden blades is too mainstream.

ProletariatPleb
04-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Exactly. Now that I think about it I miss being able to choose between one or two hidden blades... Personally I think having two hidden blades is too mainstream.
Oh yeah i dislike dual blades, they serve very little purpose and one has better animations and looks cooler.

I wish Connor had a single hidden blade too, IMO it would suit his 'savage' fighting style. Just one on the left hand.

AssassinHMS
04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Oh yeah i dislike dual blades, they serve very little purpose and one has better animations and looks cooler.

I wish Connor had a single hidden blade too, IMO it would suit his 'savage' fighting style. Just one on the left hand.

I doubt we'll be able to choose to carry only one hidden blade in AC4 BF, but what saddens me more is that, in the cover art, you barely see the hidden blades. I mean, they are there but the highlights are the pistols and the sword and I fear the game will be like that as well. It's not as bad as AC3's cover where the highlights were the tomahawk and the American flag, but I fear the hidden blade and the whole assassin thing is more of a secondary objective for the devs...

Dead1y-Derri
04-29-2013, 05:02 PM
I don't think they should. I like the challenge of going back and having to do stuff again if I die because it kinda makes me more cautious if I've been killed as I'll know I'll have to do it all over again. Whereas with what you described I'd be most likely just charge in because their is no risk of having to do it all over again.

Isensol
04-29-2013, 10:13 PM
I don't think they should. I like the challenge of going back and having to do stuff again if I die because it kinda makes me more cautious if I've been killed as I'll know I'll have to do it all over again. Whereas with what you described I'd be most likely just charge in because their is no risk of having to do it all over again.

I don't see how changing the save system will effect how you complete a mission besides saving then fooling around then reverting back to previous save to do things correctly. Or perhaps just simply saving then trying to a complete a mission to screw up and reload to the manual save you took so that you can begin anew and not have a checkpoint save where you are a bad position.

Besides it being potentially hard to put into the game I think that fans would appreciate having a more tangible way of knowing where they'll be and such when exiting a game.

Gi1t
04-29-2013, 11:50 PM

If that's a concern, just use specific save points. You can still have manual saving but without the ability to save practically every step. That way, if you feel like it, you can go back to one and save so you don't have to do it all over again, or ignore it and keep going until you see another.

Personally, I hate having to do everything over and over again and like being able to experiment in combat without having to worry about how far back I'll end up if I die, but with AC, I'm more of a perfectionist in that I want to be able to just quit/die and retry if I make a major mistake. It's an extremely easy game, so the only thing and you're an Assassin so I feel like it's more fun to do things 'right' meaning geerally the way I plan to do them in the first place.