PDA

View Full Version : Are you interested in history?

Dosenwabe
04-20-2013, 06:02 PM
I'd like to know how many of you are actually interested in history, cause it seems that subject is not much presented in most reviews. Imo AC is a wet dream for history fans. And it hurts me that things like combat mechanics or mission design get so much more weight by reviewers than the insane history knowledge in this series, where obviously the devs main focus is. I'm talking about spending time in past citys/places, know what it looked and feeled like back then. Reliving major events. The feel to be a neutral viewer about morality. Reading in the huge database. The insane detailed accuracy. In AC3 even every weapon has it's own description with historical infos about it. And most important for me: learning. All the research behind these games is amazing, but people just don't seem to care? No, AC3 gets ripped apart because of bad framerate and crap like this. So, you like history? And if not, why else do you like AC? What you think about database and stuff?

lothario-da-be
04-20-2013, 06:05 PM
I'am a history freak, if i wouldn't care about history, ac would be a lot less enjoyable for me.

SixKeys
04-20-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm not terribly interested in history. I like AC because of the gameplay, graphics, atmosphere and the sci-fi side plot. AC has made me a bit more interested in history by making me learn things as I immerse myself in the world and characters. I prefer the approach from the Alta´r and Ezio games where historical events were more of a backdrop for the fictional narrative. It's also nice to be able to read the Animus Database about famous landmarks and people which offer extra insights into history while not being completely essential. In AC3 having Connor be forced into every major event in American history was kind of ridiculous and felt forced.

pirate1802
04-20-2013, 06:20 PM
History is the thing that got me interested in AC in the first place, so yes I'm a history nut!

Rugterwyper32
04-20-2013, 06:49 PM
I'm quite a history nut, so yep. When I first saw AC1 took place during the third crusade, I instantly had to get it. I have tons of books regarding the crusades in my room, and man was it cool (even with the historical inaccuracies).

STDlyMcStudpants
04-20-2013, 06:51 PM
absolutely. I have an insanely curious mind ;D

Locopells
04-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Hell yeah!

The AC games, IMO, are a bit like Disney films, the games make the kids go and look stuff up, to see what really happened!

lothario-da-be
04-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Hell yeah!

The AC games, IMO, are a bit like Disney films, the games make the kids go and look stuff up, to see what really happened!
lol nice comparision.

EllisEverTellYa
04-20-2013, 07:19 PM
YES! I LOVE history! What got me into history and stuff is the Prince Of Macedon! Now I watch documentary after documentary! Greek Mythology(My favorite) Roman Republic/Empire, The middle ages etc. It's such an interesting subject!
I am currently watching one about the middle ages!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUY4FYvZe4c
;) It's fascinating!

ACfan443
04-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Yes, I'm very much interested in history.

However, a good game is a game which is fun, right? If a game is plagued by bad mission design, crappy framerate and glitches, then insanely detailed history isn't going to make it that much better or more enjoyable. Those things are paramount, and IMO history is something which will keep being overlooked if said issues are not addressed.

Sushiglutton
04-20-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm fairly interested in history. AC is cool for the places and names. But the most interesting aspect of history, namely why things happened the way they did, gets completely distorted in the Templar/Assassin conflict. The knowledge of history you aquire through AC is therefor fairly shallow and potentially misleading. Not that this really bother me, I'm all for the history playground thing.

Megas_Doux
04-20-2013, 09:19 PM
History is the thing that got me interested in AC in the first place, so yes I'm a history nut!

This!!!!

I appreciate a lot the effort of bringing different settings to life....

Dosenwabe
04-20-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm fairly interested in history. AC is cool for the places and names. But the most interesting aspect of history, namely why things happened the way they did, gets completely distorted in the Templar/Assassin conflict. The knowledge of history you aquire through AC is therefor fairly shallow and potentially misleading. Not that this really bother me, I'm all for the history playground thing. Not that we could ever know the "why" for sure. btw: The database articles about real stuff is written in a way that mostly excludes the fictional story parts, but without contradict it.

TinyTemplar
04-20-2013, 10:09 PM
I like when plot is close to reality. A game becomes more interesting experience, when you try to believe)

kriegerdesgottes
04-20-2013, 11:40 PM
It's the history that has kept me in the games this long. If it wasn't for the recreated cities, I would have given up long ago.

ZeSpecter
04-21-2013, 12:34 AM
I chose to study history and philosophy at school, so yeah, I'm interested in history.

Farlander1991
04-21-2013, 12:35 AM
History got me interested in AC in the first place, really.

I was really into the Crusade periods, and there it was, an action/adventure game from the makers of Prince of Persia taking place in that period :D

silvermercy
04-21-2013, 12:51 AM
History nut here, too! Almost obsessed, won awards when in school. LOL Wanted to combine history and archeology and become the next female Indiana Jones. I went to medical research instead. O_o

I'm fairly interested in history. AC is cool for the places and names. But the most interesting aspect of history, namely why things happened the way they did, gets completely distorted in the Templar/Assassin conflict. The knowledge of history you aquire through AC is therefor fairly shallow and potentially misleading. Not that this really bother me, I'm all for the history playground thing.
Agreed.

EvanJamesLee
04-21-2013, 02:43 AM
History creates the future.

Assassin_M
04-21-2013, 02:57 AM
Well.....I love reading and my granddad was an Arabic and french Teacher; in schools, a language teacher usually teaches the history of the country of origin of said language....So he had a lot of book about Arab and French history. I used to burrow a lot of books from his extensive home Library. super natural, Astrology, philosophy, Geography (avoided those...HATE geography) Language, History and he adored french literature.....So that`s how I got into the history....ate up his entire library xD

I`m generally a knowledge nut :P

poptartz20
04-21-2013, 03:13 AM
I Love history, in particular the 1700's (along with medieval period and crusades and civil war basically everything Civil War and back...) that's why I am actually very partial to AC3 as it took place during one of my favorite time periods. But over all Yes! I always expect Ubisoft to be rather on point history wise. I didn't know at first AC was about history, I thought it was just about being an assassin due to the title. Then once I actually learned about the history aspect I was literally hooked!

This! I love how they play on these aspects! :D I wonder how they choose who is who...

Well.....I love reading and my granddad was an Arabic and french Teacher; in schools, a language teacher usually teaches the history of the country of origin of said language....So he had a lot of book about Arab and French history. I used to burrow a lot of books from his extensive home Library. super natural, Astrology, philosophy, Geography (avoided those...HATE geography) Language, History and he adored french literature.....So that`s how I got into the history....ate up his entire library xD

I`m generally a knowledge nut :P

For some reason I figured this from you. Lol. That's great though!

TRUKITTN
04-21-2013, 03:17 AM
Yes. Very yes.

I do get tunnel visioned about what I'm interested in though. Games like AC and Koei's stuff have really opened up what I've gone on a learning binge about.

I'm also a nut for all sorts of languages, but horribly lazy about actually learning them - I've been trying to teach myself mandarin for YEARS but only know a smidge of it by heart, and I have a working knowledge of written Japanese but I'd have to carry a dictionary constantly to actually use it. Regardless, I love to hear different dialects, so I'm a great fan of those bits and pieces of not-english in these games. Ezio made me squirm when he spoke in Italian and Connor made me wish I were instantly fluent in Iroquois. I wish Altair had been treated with the same attention to his native language.

shop5107FB585
04-21-2013, 08:08 AM
The only reason I play AC is for the history.

Ichrukia56
04-21-2013, 09:11 AM
History nut right here it is what drop me to the series

IWGCJoeCool
04-21-2013, 12:30 PM
i was already a History and/or Discovery Channel junkie, and the history part of the AC series is what has cemented it into the absolute favorite it has become. in turn, it awakened interest in previously unexplored areas like the Borgia, the Medici, Middle Ages, and now the early 18th century time of pirates and seafaring in general. i already had the American revolution pretty down pat, but it was still cool to have the game and timeline period coming seemingly to life.

JC

Autin175
04-22-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm not a very big history person, but the AC series did get me more interested as in( I looked up real events that corresponded with the setting of the game)