PDA

View Full Version : Developer Journal – Issue #38

Vorbann
04-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Hello,

Now that Season 4 has been launched, we’ll be talking about the main upcoming modifications we’re currently working on.
These subjects, particularly the most advanced ones, are under development, and you’ll see them arrive on your servers in the next few weeks and months.
Of course, our main focus remains on balancing the game, so urgent changes for that will be prioritized over long-term development.

First of all, let’s talks about the reworking of the game’s first quests. These have been adapted to help new players discover the game mechanics better. For experience players who know the game by heart, we’re going to add an option to not follow the script of these quests and just see the objective and rewards, just like in a normal quest. New long-term quests will also be added to give players objectives.

Now we’ve finished development of Season 4, we can also set up regular events like the ones that were organized last year. We’ll be giving you more details about these soon.

As for Coop servers, we know that the introduction of rifts is a bit brutal, and the mechanics aren’t really explained as well as they could be. We’re working on staggering the appearance of rifts over several phases, with each one introducing its own new feature. For example, in the first phase rifts will only have one level, no hero, no defense, and only one type of attack combat. After that, game mechanics will be introduced progressively, with a message each time, until the player reaches a complete rift as we know them now.

Finally, a more long-term goal is to develop the alliance game. To do so, we’re going to go back to an old subject you feel strongly about - alliance buildings. We’ll be adding constructible alliance buildings other than portals. Each one will have its own bonus and possible upgrades, and will require help from the alliance to be constructed.
We’ll be starting with buildings with simple effects (such as a tower that increases mines revenues within a certain zone), then we’ll progress slowly to more complicated buildings (like an alliance bank). Because of the complexity involved in adding these new buildings, they’ll arrive slowly over a period of several months. You’re welcome to suggest what sort of buildings you’d like to see in the game - we’ll add the most interesting suggestions to our planning schedule.

So that sums up what we have in store for Might and Magic Heroes Kingdoms in the next few months. Other smaller things are also being taken care of - we’ll be telling you more about their development through the dev diaries as we go along.

Vorbann

gunnier
04-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Outstanding... What about the existing PvE-worlds? You promised to make changes - but the rifts are still no challenge to us... Players with 9-10kk Dom receive 450r rifts!!! What's going on? What the reason of your silence? Everyone is asking to bring back usual strengh of the rifts, but you ignore us - http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/760021-Decrease-is-Rift-Sizes ... 9 pages of discussion - and no signs of devs... We are getting used to this...

filipd81
04-16-2013, 03:45 PM
It apperars that the rifts are going to be weakened even more :( For the rest we'll be really pleased to see all these changes. Personally I'm a bit skeptic about their delivery and also worried about the possible side effects like for example hte indroduction of other seal items concerning the new alliance buildgins.

BigPapi24
04-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Yay alliance buildings check out my ideas for the Alliance bank:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/763317-Some-idea-s-for-UBI

AndreanDW
04-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Of course, our main focus remains on balancing the game, so urgent changes for that will be prioritized over long-term development.
Does this mean, that you include stronger rifts in PvE server like all players wanted? Why does this take more than a month when you write this is your priority?
Does this mean, that you rework the legendary heroes and skills, as you wrote 4 month ago? Why does this take half a year when you write this is your priority?

Chuloos
04-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Hello,

Now that Season 4 has been launched, we’ll be talking about the main upcoming modifications we’re currently working on.
These subjects, particularly the most advanced ones, are under development, and you’ll see them arrive on your servers in the next few weeks and months.

First of all, let’s talks about the reworking of the game’s first quests. These have been adapted to help new players discover the game mechanics better. For experience players who know the game by heart, we’re going to add an option to not follow the script of these quests and just see the objective and rewards, just like in a normal quest. New long-term quests will also be added to give players objectives.

Now we’ve finished development of Season 4, we can also set up regular events like the ones that were organized last year. We’ll be giving you more details about these soon.

Vorbann

What is wrong with you guys. You have listened to NOTHING the player base has said about PVP. There is NO WAY to balance it.. unless everyone spends 4-500$ to be competitive. And, even at that.. you still aren't .. because someone else is going to spend a thousand dollars or more. This first season 4 PVP server is probably your last because no one wants to play your game anymore... they can't afford it. And nobody cares about silly events.. like 'rabbit ears', somebody will just buy them from the arts store anyway. Do you NOT see that the game is dying if not dead already. There is barely 500 active players on the US server.. less on the European server.. that should tell you something.

And.. people are getting refunds for their Strategic World tickets they bought.. those servers will never happen unless you drop the price. You have killed a once marvelous and enjoyable game.

You have said nothing above that would lead anyone to believe that you are actually balancing the game. Just vacant words.

RIP .. MMHK

mightycleric
04-17-2013, 06:07 AM
I don't necessarily think there is much of a problem with how the rifts are currently introduced, and I certainly wouldn't want to see it take a long time for them to get to the point they are at, now. I do think, however, that it would be nice to see some changes to the DE heroes. Right now they are all mercenary heroes. I think it would be interesting to see different types of heroes, including casters, to mix things up a bit. I also have a suggestion for how to do it without adding new spells for them that you don't already have, or making it too difficult for people to figure out how to defend against them or attack their halts.

Have their spells be versions of the ballista, anti-magic, and traps that are part of the rifts. I would say that something that would be interesting for this, instead of a player having to guess which of the three it would be (as that could be disastrous) would be that whichever type of level is active in the rift when the attack happens is the one that is selected, so if a DE hero launched from a rift with a ballista level, then his spell would be a "ballista" spell, but if the player didn't want to deal with that, they could attack that level of the rift and make it a "traps" spell instead, or something.

As for how strong the "spell" would be, it can be based on the different types of heroes that it sends. There would be no Wise Old Wizard.
A Paladin would be a level 1 of the different types.
An Explorer would be level 2 on Offense, and 3 on Defense.
A Senachal would be a level 2 on Offense, and 3 on Defense.
A Warrior Mage would be a level 4.
A Fanatic Sorceror would be a 5 on Offense and a 9 on Defense.
A Disturbed Wizard would be a 6 on Offense and a 10 on Defense.
A Warmage would be a 7 on Offense and an 8 on Defense.
An Arcane Mage would be an 8 on Offense and a 7 on Defense.
An Illuminated Protector would be a 9 on Offense and a 5 on Defense.
And a Protector would be a 10 on Offense and a 6 on Defense.

This would make it so that the stronger the magic ability, the better their "spells" are, overall. It also makes it so that they cast "stronger spells" to make up for their weaknesses. And since, at level 30, Disturbed Wizard is always better than Fanatic Sorceror, and Protector is always better than Illuminated Protector, that is reflected in them always being one level ahead.

Sotona_6
04-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Return normal strength of the rifts in PvE first.

graxis71
04-17-2013, 10:03 PM
All i have to say is get rid of the seal system. It is being taken advantage of by the members who have fat wallets. What about us who can pay for it once a month but no more then that. I would rather pay a higher subscription then buy seals. What happen to the way the game was when Season 1 was new. Yes it took longer to end but you can change the rules on that. But it was a better game, no one had an edge by having a fat wallet. Let's keep the grails for 2 weeks but lower the amount of points. No more seals. Right now my alliance got raped for lack of a better word by an alliance who has players who don't care how much it cost. They spent a large amount of money which ubi likes to see but at what cost. We are getting hit everyday, cause we can't afford the seals. How fair is this, you are going to lose more players that are willing to pay every month then there are ones that are willing to buy seals. I think you rather have the game loyalty and more steady income coming in then the guy who buys seals once or twice. But hey that would make the game fair but Ubi has no intention of making it fair.

m33perts
04-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Turn off the BLINKING HELP!
until you can 1. make sure there are help entries for question marks, or until you can provide a switch for experienced players to turn it off themselves. Going to an empty page, or an incorrect page is worse than no help at all. And the continuous blinking ? on every single page is beyond irritating.

Darkangel2154
04-18-2013, 04:02 PM
One great thing that can be done for the pve server is to ask each player if they wish to have rifts stronger power. There can be 3 answers to this question.
1:yes, make the rifts so powerful they can destroy me.
2:no, keep them the way they are
3:no, make them weaker
For each player keep the log, and the players that chose #1 manually give them very hard rifts that even the #1 player would have a hard time clearing.
Or you can add them to 3 different algorithms for different types of rifts per player answer.

AndreanDW
04-18-2013, 04:27 PM
You could give each player a multiplier, and ask him every week if the multiplier should be increased or decreased a little bit;
the problem is what happens if neighbored players give different answers

Darkangel2154
04-18-2013, 05:53 PM
True, Then you could have the players the chose #1 when the rifts go on the attack they only attack the strongest citys "not random"

jordface
04-18-2013, 07:41 PM
This is my first world in around a year or so (except a quick test of season3 changes) and it will unfortunately almost certainly by mine (and Ectels) last. We enjoy(ed) this game silly amounts but it is ruined now.

To echo a pointless cry: every change you make is at best, pointless because the game is broken, imbalanced, unfair and increasingly straying away from the core gameplay that made season 1 & 2 one of the best strategic games I've ever played and easily the best Browser game around.

Frack microtransactions.

Toni_G
04-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Nothing about a new battle simulator? Wow, that's sad! :nonchalance:

Wulfgar1978
04-30-2013, 08:33 AM
Nothing about a new battle simulator? Wow, that's sad! :nonchalance:

Install this script : http://www.mmhk-plus.net/wordpress/ It has the most up to date Jactari Battle simulator attached to it. I doubt the devs will ever make a battle sim as part of the game.

Toni_G
05-11-2013, 09:47 AM
I know about it, but many values from S4 aren't updated. Not to mention the lack of artefacts from it. I will wait for an official battle calculator from Ubi. If they don't care about this, why should I care about their game?

BORISBLASTEr
11-11-2013, 05:06 AM
Finally, a more long-term goal is to develop the alliance game. To do so, we’re going to go back to an old subject you feel strongly about - alliance buildings. We’ll be adding constructible alliance buildings other than portals. Each one will have its own bonus and possible upgrades, and will require help from the alliance to be constructed.
We’ll be starting with buildings with simple effects (such as a tower that increases mines revenues within a certain zone), then we’ll progress slowly to more complicated buildings (like an alliance bank). Because of the complexity involved in adding these new buildings, they’ll arrive slowly over a period of several months. You’re welcome to suggest what sort of buildings you’d like to see in the game - we’ll add the most interesting suggestions to our planning schedule. ....and?

ramborusina
11-11-2013, 10:51 AM
So how long radious would these alliance buildings have?

As for suggestions, the mine-boost is good.
-Troop-income would also be welcome, especially one that also boosted t7 since you can't boost that with anything other than town walls(thus they remain smaller stack than t6).
-Maybe a small atk/def/mag boost that would be limited to 1 boost in area so you can't get mega stats by building these.
-Building that doubles the gift of asha(if this is possible mechanically even), limited to one also.
-Teleport, so you can move through to assist another player that has teleport near(no 24h timers for these). These could be used to moving normally also and settling towns areas on the other side of alliance if need be as long as both areas have a teleport.
-spell-buildings that cast certain spell(meteor for example) at the beginning of the battle like in real heroes.
-Something like dragon utopia where you could fight for good items as prize, one that would replenish the troops once every 2 weeks for example.
-Building that lowered building costs(so not troop costs!) by some 10-20% also limited to one in area.
-Hall of heroes, lowering hero recruitment costs by 10% for example(wouldn't need to be limited to 1 since you can buy items and lower the cost by some 95-99% anyhow with skill)
-alliance building that gave every hero in it's area of effect low-level legacy level 3-4 maybe(except for legacy hero). only 1 allowed per area.(the one building the foundation would decide the boost and chief could change it later for price, needing resources from everybody for rebuild)

MartyAmodeo
11-11-2013, 08:29 PM
So how long radious would these alliance buildings have?

As for suggestions, the mine-boost is good.
-Troop-income would also be welcome, especially one that also boosted t7 since you can't boost that with anything other than town walls(thus they remain smaller stack than t6).
-Maybe a small atk/def/mag boost that would be limited to 1 boost in area so you can't get mega stats by building these.
-Building that doubles the gift of asha(if this is possible mechanically even), limited to one also.
-Teleport, so you can move through to assist another player that has teleport near(no 24h timers for these). These could be used to moving normally also and settling towns areas on the other side of alliance if need be as long as both areas have a teleport.
-spell-buildings that cast certain spell(meteor for example) at the beginning of the battle like in real heroes.
-Something like dragon utopia where you could fight for good items as prize, one that would replenish the troops once every 2 weeks for example.
-Building that lowered building costs(so not troop costs!) by some 10-20% also limited to one in area.
-Hall of heroes, lowering hero recruitment costs by 10% for example(wouldn't need to be limited to 1 since you can buy items and lower the cost by some 95-99% anyhow with skill)
-alliance building that gave every hero in it's area of effect low-level legacy level 3-4 maybe(except for legacy hero). only 1 allowed per area.(the one building the foundation would decide the boost and chief could change it later for price, needing resources from everybody for rebuild)

I think "boost" kind of buildings would cause problems. The big alliances would get bigger and more unstoppable because the little guys couldn't afford as many boosts as the big ones. Something that is more of a strategic resource, like the bank, I think is a far better idea IMO.

As for new ideas, how about a spy guild building? The alliance can recruit its own separate spies and develop them (run by the spy chief), and send out a community-owned, special purpose spy wherever it is needed.

ramborusina
11-11-2013, 09:54 PM
It doesn't necessarily make big alliance more unstoppable... the price could be set based on alliance score, rank or member amount for example...I do like your idea of spy-guild though. Another thing could be merchants guild, giving better price or/and faster and bigger caravans. And before you go on about the possibility to make small alliance, build and merge dozen of those it could be made so that the alliance building disappears when alliance dies.

Also hope that alliance bank works with artis too making it possible to do private deals between members also(so no sniping will happen when trading with artis)

Sacrificial pit could be done to change troops into exp(like the current exp prizes are given in messages). Know most don't probably care for this, but it's from original heroes games also :)

Another thing would be that making free move pack/ally an alliance you would get part of their bonuses from sphinxes and such since nowadays the only use for ally is no halts in their area.

dre.maa
11-12-2013, 05:28 AM
I think "boost" kind of buildings would cause problems. The big alliances would get bigger and more unstoppable because the little guys couldn't afford as many boosts as the big ones. Something that is more of a strategic resource, like the bank, I think is a far better idea IMO.

As for new ideas, how about a spy guild building? The alliance can recruit its own separate spies and develop them (run by the spy chief), and send out a community-owned, special purpose spy wherever it is needed.

I am not sure I understand about the issue with the boost buildings and large alliances. Don't bigger alliances already have a huge advantage over smaller alliances? I am not sure what difference boost buildings would make in that regards. Unless you mean that bigger alliances would take over cities of the smaller alliances and control all of their "bonus" buildings? I can see that being a problem.

I like the idea about a spy guild, troop income increase, and really like the teleporter and alliance bank (including artifacts) ideas. In the alliance bank, I think you should be able to set prices as things other than gold. For example, trade 10 wood for 10 ore. The tax would still be in gold, but it could reduce the need for caravans within an alliance. I feel like that might help with some of the pushing issues early on in the game.

Not such a big fan of the dragon utopia (since vestiges already seem to fill that niche).

I like the idea of the attack/defense/magic bonus. A static +1/+2/+3 (different buildings would give different effects on different levels) that could be activated once per week like an alliance ability. Battle legacy effects could be incorporated in much the same way, i.e., the ones under the "Troops" tab that affect battles. You could have a level 1/2/3 Resurrection, Raid Dead, Barrage Fire, Morale. Daily recruitment, along with all of the wealth and artifact ones, would be hard to impliment as they would be overpowered the more heroes you have. The hero abilities would somewhat be covered by the attack/defense/magic bonus (at least two of the legacy abilities), the skill bonus are from the landlord, and the spell bonuses I think would be a bit overpowered on too many heroes.

As for lowering costs, I am not in favor of that in the form of an alliance building. I feel like there is too much possibility of abuse from resource pushing from one player to make another players costs lower. And the "Gift of Asha" should also probably not be affected. I am neutral on the sacrificial pit. If you do a sacrificial pit though, I would like to see a similar building to convert troops into resources.

As for new buildings, perhaps a tavern where you could buy "neutral" heroes that have all four magic abilities open to them? I thought a light/destruction hero would be very nice to have. Maybe a community mage guild where you could send a hero to learn all of the spells? You have to send the hero there to learn spells, just like in your city. It would not boost your magic though like the town mage guilds do so that it still encourages you to build mage guilds in your town. Maybe you could even make the bonus stronger (say 1% per level in each city?). I think it might also be neat if you could recruit some of the dark elves, dwarves, or elementals (but not Death Knights). Have the growth rates low enough and the price high enough that they wouldn't be overpowered, but something maybe you could use to have fun with when clearing towns or exploring vestiges (or maybe even beating dark elves in rifts or elementals in portal fights). Maybe you could also build neutralizer bulidings that somehow were able to decrease enemy attack effectiveness in the area once per week. Say a -1/-2/-3 to stats, or a magic defense bonus, etc.

zamz
11-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Most definently shouldn't mess around with heroes/spells/spellpower ! Look what happened last time they messed up with those, game died :) Alliance artifact trade would be nice and spy building wouldn't be bad to, would be great if u could put ur scout work all the time, instead of logging in frequently to send scouts...Also phinxes and such shouldn't be merged, that would just mean all small aliiances would be big alliance allies and no need to go "find" phinxes anymore...