PDA

View Full Version : If You Were A Modern Assassin?

luxjasper
04-14-2013, 01:29 AM
Hello! well I'm new to these forums but I had a thought the other day with a mate of mine, and I went looking for some forums on which to share my thought and get some responses and this was the closest one I could find that related.

Basically what I want to know is this. Let's say you became an assassin. Let's say maybe the games never existed but instead the events actually happened and you were part of the line of assassins and were brought into it. Also for the sake of simplicity let's ignore all the Juno First Civ. stuff and keep it between humanity. In fact, in my head this scenario isn't even necessarily filled with as much death as the games, but more infiltration/spy stuff. Basically think Desmond's missions in 3.

So let's say you became an "assassin". You are tasked with finding out crucial information, maybe hacking or stealing, eavesdropping, tailing people and hell eventually maybe even forced into combat or given a target to "take out". You are "stationed" at your nearest big city.

How would this work out for you? In other words, what would you wear? What skills would you dedicate to learning the most? How would you go about things? How would this scenario play out for you if you were an "assassin" in a modern day urban environment.

Try to keep your answers as REALISTIC as possible. The games are so much fun but a lot of it is very impractical. (free running with plate armour, all enemies faced by Desmond in modern day mostly wielding only batons...etc...) So keeping real life in mind, and all realistic aspects of attempting things like this in the city...How and what would it work in your mind?

Lay out your ideal set up and skill set and how you think it would work. For instance IMO:

I would focus very much on learning parkour as best as I could and staying very very fit. Parkour in AC isn't all doable of course, but it would still be very handy to be able to traverse a city/urban environment on foot as quickly as possible. It would help with scaling objects, escaping, and infiltrating buildings.

I would try to get familiar with modern technology as much as possible. Basic hacking, disabling devices, etc.

I would wear clothes that allowed me to parkour and move swiftly and comfortable but still blend in to the environment. In terms of stealth and other people. No robes, lol. Instead I'd probably settle for some slightly loose greyish or brown cargo pants of light material, running shoes with good grip and a darker colour. A comfortable singlet and after careful consideration, a dark coloured (probably black) sleeveless hoodie. I still think a hood isn't a horrible idea for stealth and identity concealment. Lots of people wear the hoods up so it doesn't look to suspicious. Wouldn't be worn all the time as it does restrict senses and movement, but able to throw it up at a moments notice when needed. Sleeveless because if any of you actually do practice parkour, you'll know that long sleeves are a *****. lol. It has nothing to do with fashion but ability and comfort. It keeps you cool and prevents you from getting overheated or too sweaty and doesn't restrict your movement at all. The dark colours will aid in blending in to corners of garage parking lots or dark areas of unauthorised building areas.

As far as weapons, I think thats the one I have most trouble with. Obviously guns are a very real worry in a modern world. Even though my enemies wouldn't all use a collapsable baton, it might not be a bad idea for me to have one, as it is easily concealable, can be non-lethal and is essentially. wielded like a sword. I had thought of things like modern tactical tomahawks, machetes, etc...but they are all very condemning and lethal. A collapsable baton could be hidden, and still deadly in the right hands. As far as ranged weapons and evading other's...well I'm not sure. Maybe a silenced handgun would be a necessity after all if obtainable? IMO in this sort of world, a modern day assassin would need to evade more than anything else.

The work would all be about obtaining info and maybe taking out the odd target. Possibly with more conventional methods. Like framing them, or poisoning, "Accident" type things.
But mostly one would need to be able to evade and slip away into the depths of the city easily and never be seen heard or caught.

Anyways, how would YOU guys go about it? What are YOUR thoughts on a plausible scenario?

DisbandedBox359
04-14-2013, 01:44 AM
first of all great idea for a thread
i would first learn free running/parkour to get about, some form of combat that serve being an assassin well
as for clothes running shoes are definite as stated above, i'd like to sport jeans but it just wouldn't work so something loose fitting (i.e trackies/cargo shorts whatever)
already own a dark blue hoodie so i'll stick with that, although with sleeves for reasons i'll state later
weapon wise i'd have bring some sort of hidden blade to the table which could be mostly concealed by the sleeve of the hoodie, if i cant get away with that
then a baton seems the likely choice with maybe darts with poison or whatever else

luxjasper
04-14-2013, 02:01 AM
This is true! Sleeves definitely provide better use of concealment of certain items. Like a hidden blade. I too thought that having a real life hidden blade in this situation could prove to be handy. It all depends on the individual's capabilities. If one can parkour endlessly in a full hoodie without hassle, then yes I think it would be ideal. I just know that I can't lol. great response! I had forgot to mention combat training which would be essential. Any form of hand to hand would almost be a must.

Dosenwabe
04-14-2013, 02:13 AM
This would be my theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfK91tJjpoM Parkour, melee and ranged fighting skills, a HIDDEN blade, general knowledge about the world, society, politics, philosophy and history, trying to get wiser and stronger every day, we try to change something right? It's not mainly about looking cool ,running around your city and doing Sam Fisher's or Agent 47's work.

roostersrule2
04-14-2013, 02:14 AM
A gun.

TRUKITTN
04-14-2013, 02:30 AM
Nice topic. Hmm~

Personally, I have this weird inverted fear of heights. That is, standing at the base of a very tall building and looking up at it gives me the heebie jeebies. However, I'm just fine with things the other way around (usually). So while I'd probably be ok climbing down or leap-of-faithing, scaling buildings would be a very last resort, and I'd probably freak out a little trying to plan my path upwards. I'm also fairly clumsy. So the free-running thing would likely be out for me unless absolutely needed. :P

But clutziness has its advantages, especially when a distraction is needed, and I'm fairly good at going unnoticed as I'm sorta plain looking and wear mostly plain looking things. I'd likely pick my comfy black pullover t-shirt hoodie and my good and worn-in jeans with the hem walked off them. That way I wouldn't have to spend any extra clink-clink on my personal assassin gear, and I wouldn't stand out or feel confined. Meanwhile, I'd use my uncanny ability to look like "I work here" to get the information I needed and get out undetected.

Should things go wrong or I need to take someone out, however, I don't see myself being able to end someone mano e mano by choice. The whole idea would gross me out, so that'd probably have to get trained out of me, and then they'd have to learn me how to use anything other than a shotgun. That would all take a lot of time that the Brotherhood might not want to spend on a Sister, so instead, I'd rely on learning makeshift lethal and non-lethal trapping skills to stop pursuers and targets using every day objects.

And well, if all that failed, I'd make sure to bring the shotgun too.

Also, since theme music was brought up mine would be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iof5pRAIZmw (It goes with everything)

Spider_Sith9
04-14-2013, 02:33 AM
Something like this...
http://24.media.tumblr.com/34b8949f163a572694ea22aa782d4d8f/tumblr_mesogj4TnM1qmzsn0o1_500.jpg
Only difference is I'd have a Pivot Sword, Tranquilizers/Berettas with Bayonets attached to them.

I will not have Hidden Blades with me.

LieutenantJojo
04-14-2013, 03:17 AM
Skills:
-Parkour: Well, parkour is a must. You need to get out of some dangerous situations as fast as possible, so parkour would definitely be very useful.
-Combat: I'd learn as many kinds of hand to hand combat as possible and practice A LOT. I'd try to combine different fighting styles to make my moves as unpredictable as possible.
-Languages: Learning as many languages as possible seems pretty important to me. Try eavesdropping on someone you can't even understand.
-Pickpocketing: Essential to get certain information or keys.
-Lock picking: When the pickpocketing fails or when there simply isn't anyone to pickpocket, you can always lock pick your way into a place.
-Hacking: I'd try to get as good at it as possible or at least learn to find my way into every kind of computer. I wouldn't want to find information and not know what the hell I'm doing.
-Fencing: You never know in what kind of weird situations you get, it might get very useful.

Weapons:
-Hidden blade: It's extremely helpful for silent assassinations, I'd just need to find a way to conceal it in a subtle way. Wearing it underneath a long-sleeved hood or disguising it as a cool brace, but then it'd have to fit with my overall look, so it wouldn't rise suspicion....
-Small dagger: It would be strapped to the lower part of my leg, concealed by my pants. It would be useful if I got into a brawl with Templar agents.
-Small (silenced) handgun: Easily concealable and a must in the modern day.
-Collapsible baton: Again, useful when you get into a brawl.
-Poison: I'd make/buy a ring which can hold a small amount of poison, so when you sting someone with it, nobody notices and you could just poison someone by giving him a handshake. I got the idea from watching 'Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol' a couple of days ago.

Clothing:
-Loose pants: I don't think tight jeans would be very handy when doing parkour and you'd see the weapons underneath, so loose pants are definitely at the top of my list. Cargo pants should do the job.
-Running shoes: Well, it speaks for itself.
-Hoodie: I wouldn't wear the hood up the entire time, but when you need to conceal your identity, you just put it up. Long or short sleeves, it doesn't really matter. Whatever works best, I guess.
-Scarf: Nothing too big, but it's just something useful to conceal your identity. You just put it up over your mouth in combination with the hoodie.
-(Sun)glasses: Something to make it extra hard to recognize you. Again, I wouldn't wear them the entire time.
-Colors: Pretty dark tones, but not too dark. Being dressed in all black clothes makes you stand out as well.

Well, that's pretty much what I'd do. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but oh well...

itsamea-mario
04-14-2013, 03:22 AM
I don't think parkour would be that effective a skill anymore, it would still be useful, but not that useful.
Traditional methods of information collecting, i.e. stealing documents and stuff are becoming less plausible. And when they are Technology and trickery is more likely to help you than Parkour.

The kind of things you might expect a modern secret agent to learn are more reasonable, being able to disguise yourself, being able to effectively manipulate a person into revealing information, various skills involving technology e.g. computer skills and being able to hack at least a basic system. And of course things like Combat, marksmanship and skillful driving. Parker is only really feasible if your in the more action based roles, wet jobs, or working in the developing world.

Anyone ever read any of the Bourne books? basically that.

nitres15
04-14-2013, 03:27 AM
if i were an assassin... i would stop being an assassin. Because im lazy ***** like that.

luxjasper
04-14-2013, 03:37 AM
fantastic responses!

I love Jojo's mention of the scarf. That makes a lot of sense. Pickpocket and lockpicking are things that one might overlook but would still become necessary, one would think? Good thinking. It is true though, Mario makes an excellent point. In this world, an "agent's" work probably wouldn't play out like in an AC game. So much tech now, so much integration. When would one be chased by armed guards anymore? Everything can be done through satellite etc. Thats why I think that this does involve a little bit of imagination and wishful thinking lol. But who knows? one might need to infiltrate a building through means of expert movement and scaling rather than disguise and deception. And even then, perhaps it would rely more on expert climbing tactics and gear rather than parkour. However if an assassination or ANYTHING went wrong, at that point you are literally faced with capture/death or escape. I still maintain that parkour would aid in one's ability to disappear quickly in an urban environment.

Keep the posts coming guys! And don't forget the concept of "realism" I'm hoping we can try to implement. Alot of you made so many good points on not standing out and blending in. As Airprince said it isn't about looking cool but entirely about practicality. including outfits, gear, weapons and skills. try to invoke the reality of the modern day into how one would operate as a stealthy infiltrator/assassin. Also try to exclude concepts of how it would be done through government or military factions. Of course "their" assassins and operations are operated with such expensive gear technology and infinite resources, that no one needs to leave a computer anymore lol. Imagine that this situation is purely involving a guerrilla or underdog faction

Spider_Sith9
04-14-2013, 04:54 AM
I agree with Jojo, Linguistics and Hacking would be great assets. I'll add that too my repetoire.

bimbinoy
01-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Skills
-martial arts mainly Krav Maga, Eskrima, and Keysi
-adept at firearms, trained marksman
-archery
-parkour, swimming and diving, wall climbing
-pick-pocketing
-lock picking
-electronics and communications engineering graduate
-good at making improvised explosives

Weapons & Equipment
-hidden blade
-ka-bar knife
-suppressed glock 19
-crossbow with regular, explosive, and grappling bolts
-improvised smoke bombs, remote explosives and frag grenades
-paracord rope
-thermal goggles
-monocular scope
-handheld radio

Clothes
-grey hooded jacket
-cargo pants
-parkour shoes
-multiple thigh and hip pouches for weapons and eqpt
-sling backpack

Nicknamed "The Engineer" this assassin uses his electronic knowledge to locate, stalk and corner his targets, as well as for creating distractions and diversions. His best weapon is a handheld radio that alows him to tap into radio frequencies, manipulate electronic devices, and detonate not only his but also the enemy's remote explosives. Aside from being a genius, he has above average ability indirect combat, though not an expert at it.

Hans684
01-25-2014, 09:24 PM
It would depend on the mission.

1) Parkour.

2) Combat(krav mega etc...).

3) Tools(hacking, pickpocketing, eavesdropping tools ect...).

4) Clothing(all kinds of clothes for all kind of missions).

5) Manipulation(to gett intel, "interview" etc...).

6) Allies "working" within the place the objective/target is(having someone undercover will help).

7) Hacking(eavesdropping, planting false/fake information, getting intel etc...).

8) Diffrent hideouts(giving me a fake background if suspected/investigated).

9) Face changes(only if investigated/suspected and/or after each mission).

10) New identities and ID's(just incase suspected/investingated, gotten a new face, "working" etc..) with new hideouts(look at number 8).

11) Cloves at every possible mission(don't want to leave finger prints).

12) A Distration if something go wrong(a fake bomb leading people away etc..).

13) Goverment/political allies in case arrested(look at number 6 and 8).

14) Always plan ahead.

15) If possible "working" where the target/objective is(look at 10).

16) Erase my existence/live as much as possible of the record.

17) Never carry lethal/illegal/registered weapons, only using such(but still unregistered) if going for a raged and silent assassination.

18) All weapons and tools will not be registered and not connected to any black marked/weapon company.

19) Leave friends and familiy Behind and make sure there is no way to connect(if investigated) them to me, sadly :(.

Will edit if missed something.

SixKeys
01-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Is OP related to this guy?

http://cdn.damnfunnytexts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/tumblr_mbfo8zQncH1qctkcl.png

Assassin217337
06-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Skills:
-Adept with dual wield (short swords/military tactical swords)
-Martial Arts
-Stealth
-Parkour/Freerunning skills
-Very athletic
-Lock picking
-Pickpocketing
-Able to stay undetected while tailing
-Multilingual (able to speak multiple languages)
-Hacker/code-breaker
-Expert Marksmen (only when necessary)

Equipment(I don't use guns unless necessary):
-2 short swords/military tactical swords
-Smoke pellets
-Flash grenades
-Sleep dart/tranquilizer
-Grappling hook
-Hidden Blade

Clothing-
-White trench coat with sleeves and hood
-Black sweatshirt underneath coat
-Gray sweatpants
-Black running shoes
-Black gloves (for some reason, I'm comfortable doing parkour with them)
-Small pouches for equipment

steveeire
06-16-2014, 11:40 PM
I'd learn this guys skills

http://i60.tinypic.com/ih3zw1.jpg

Only the parkour skills in AC would be of any relevance today.

Shahkulu101
06-16-2014, 11:44 PM
I'd kill myself so I wouldn't need to live with nought for entertainment but a tablet and Frogger mini game.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 11:49 PM
I'd quit and get a job at Erudito.

Dome500
06-16-2014, 11:55 PM
A mix of Splinter Cell and Hitman basically.
I would choose modern gear, silenced pistols, (modernized) hidden blade, sniper rifle, wire cutter, light gear, gloves, parachute (for jumps from building to building), zip-lines, NVGS and Thermals, , modern gadgets (distraction, knocking out), Disguises, etc.

But why are you asking....?
You are not an Ubisoft employee spying are you? .... :confused: ;)

HiddenKiller612
06-17-2014, 08:31 AM
I'd be a little like Aiden Pearce.... with hacking ability, hidden blade, parkour skills, silenced 1911 pistol, throwing knives, smoke bombs, poison darts, and a disguise... Probably not an assassin cloak such... maybe more of like actual disguises kind of like Agent 47... depending on the target/situation. The reason I chose Aiden is because we live in a technological age, a hacker with both brains and brawn... could go very far as an assassin.

Xaiwan
12-20-2016, 08:28 PM
I would stick to either all black or very dark colors of hoodies (waterproof, a couple of layers thick) and cargo pants. Then I would get Kevlar armor or a near equivalent that would not restrict my mobility. Like Oliver Queen, support people would be essential as I would need an eye in the sky (satellites or drones) along with a backup person to take down any snipers in an attack on any fortification. Tech skills is essential because if you want to break into a skyscraper, you need to get past the security and door locks and stuff. As of weapons, a small sidearm along with switchblades and Swiss knives would be essential. If I am assaulting a place, modern weapons such as assault rifles and grenades would be a plus. A person wearing an Assassin robe would be instantly be deemed suspicious and probably arrested.
If there were Templars nowdays, they would have lots of resources (hint: CEOs, entrepreneurs). That means they would have bodyguards, cameras at their house, goons on speed dial, etc. It would be very much like the CIA or FBI and even the Mission Impossible series. Say, the governor of New York was a Templar, the Secret Service, FBI, and CIa would be on him, so I would plant myself as an inside man in order to get close to him (Haytham Kenway in Assassin's Creed 3 with Braddock) and take his ring and run off, go off the radar. This is a lot like Marvel's Agents of Sheild series which is Shield vs Hydra sort of thing.
So, that is what I would do if I were an Assassin.

Aphex_Tim
12-21-2016, 01:12 PM
Something like this I suppose:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KEkrWRHCDQU/maxresdefault.jpg

LeopardonPotato
07-14-2017, 06:46 PM
I would focus mostly on hand to hand combat as stealth just for a tactical advantage, but i would also focus on parkour agility and speed just so i can have an advantage against other enemies. Multi-Tasking is also a must-have irl enemies won't fight you one by one so you need to be able to fight atleast 3 enemies at once.

And tbh i would focus on brute force and agility because old style is the best style.

And yeah, clothing should be made for parkour and freeruning. But i honestly would wear a modern version of connors suit with a facemask like Aiden Pierce from watchdogs and some hand armor. And for colours, this might be an exageration buuut i'd get clothes that can change colour so i can be fashioned and steathy at the same time, but to be more realistic, i would use Blue and white.

Weapons: Oh man, this is the defining moment, as a primary weapon i would use a katana or a broadsword. But for stealthy kill i would have 2 hidden blades that are getting as long as i need (i.e. i need to use a blade to counter if my sword was lost. So a longer blade so i don't lose my freaking hand) and of course a pistol.

As far as my strategy i would go all out and make a massacre out of my enemies because if they're scared of me they're easier to kill. Basically no-one escapes alive.

cawatrooper9
07-14-2017, 07:22 PM
I'd just post really scathing reviews on Yelp.

rainbow69siege6
08-10-2018, 06:46 PM
If u were a modern Assassin there would be a very high chance of being caught today than 100s o years ago as there have been advances in technology and health care and various other areas that would make an assassins job even more difficult when being an assassin today the areas of expertise would be Parkour/Free running, martial arts and being able to handle almost every type of weapon available to u from a blowgun dagger, sword, or gun there would be instances where you would need to smuggle illegal items over boarders for specific jobs or to help people. The problem with this is that being an assassin today wouldnt just require u to be pratical but for u to be smart have computer skills, being able to cook fly planes drive cars or boats with this list of skills there would be so many instances for how to operate the safest from knowing everything around your area to knowing the sewers off by heart and knowing the fastest escape route in your area requiring u to have a high mental power as well as physical strength, your money would be a problem as yu could not dothis have a normal job and be able to afford everything making it easier for authorities to catch you. Clothes and concealment would also be a problem as the task may require u to have a large amount of ammunition of u or for u to discreet and silent each task would have different problems from cameras to security scanners making this almost one of the most impossible jobs in the world.. But would Be FUN