PDA

View Full Version : Why was Abu'l Nuqoud such a pariah?

Bastiaen
04-11-2013, 08:26 PM
I've been kinda confused about this one for years. I'm reading Secret Crusade, and was hoping for more insight, but there wasn't any. Why was he so despised? In his own words "My very nature is an affront to the people I rule." Why? Was it his weight? Are there implications of homosexuality? When he says "A New World--one in which all people might live side by side in peace," he touches his guard's arm affectionately. I've long been confused about why exactly people hate him. Does anybody know the answer?

SixKeys
04-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Abu'l mentions that he doesn't want to serve a god that calls him an abomination, which would seem to be a reference to homosexuality. Maybe his looks played a part too.

Bastiaen
04-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Abu'l mentions that he doesn't want to serve a god that calls him an abomination, which would seem to be a reference to homosexuality. Maybe his looks played a part too.

I sometimes wondered if the sores on his face were indicative of leprosy. Maybe it's his glutton? I just don't know. There are too many options...

nitres15
04-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I sometimes wondered if the sores on his face were indicative of leprosy. Maybe it's his glutton? I just don't know. There are too many options...

the wiki says that it was acne

SixKeys
04-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Patrice Desilets once mentioned the dev team used to affectionately refer to Abu'l as their "she-male". This would seem to support the homosexual theory.

Bastiaen
04-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Patrice Desilets once mentioned the dev team used to affectionately refer to Abu'l as their "she-male". This would seem to support the homosexual theory.

Good to know. Though I don't think that was a very respectful way for them to talk about homosexuality. I have often thought they handled this part of the story poorly. It seems like if people were saying things about his homosexuality behind his back, Altair should have heard them when doing his investigations, but there was nothing.
Fumble.
Oh well. Still a masterful game.

SixKeys
04-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Good to know. Though I don't think that was a very respectful way for them to talk about homosexuality. I have often thought they handled this part of the story poorly. It seems like if people were saying things about his homosexuality behind his back, Altair should have heard them when doing his investigations, but there was nothing.
Fumble.
Oh well. Still a masterful game.

Yeah, I side-eyed the "she-male" comment a bit as well. Apart from that, I don't really care that they never mentioned it outright. For all we know, there could have been multiple reasons why people despised Abu'l, not least because he was known to take advantage of the poor for his own gain. It makes the character more mysterious not to have their backstory layed out in detail.

Bastiaen
04-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I side-eyed the "she-male" comment a bit as well. Apart from that, I don't really care that they never mentioned it outright. For all we know, there could have been multiple reasons why people despised Abu'l, not least because he was known to take advantage of the poor for his own gain. It makes the character more mysterious not to have their backstory layed out in detail.

I guess there is the mystery, besides, we wouldn't get to have this conversation if they'd been more clear!

Eternal Reward
04-11-2013, 08:58 PM
He does seem to be a little friendly with the guys standing next too him. I think it's homosexuality, but I could go a lot of reasons. He doesn't look like someone people would like.

Assassin_M
04-11-2013, 09:02 PM
It`s more than likely he was Homosexual. God calling him an abomination just closes the deal. no sickness, weight or looks are called an abomination in Islam...

kuled2012
04-11-2013, 09:09 PM
His running animation was absolutely hilarious, I think Ubi were screaming to us to try to tell us he was homosexual with that XD

ArabianFrost
04-11-2013, 09:10 PM
It`s more than likely he was Homosexual. God calling him an abomination just closes the deal. no sickness, weight or looks are called an abomination in Islam...

Homosexuality itself is as much as an abomination in Islam as weight is. Just wanted to correct that. Don't turn it into a religious thread, though.

Bastiaen
04-11-2013, 09:12 PM
His running animation was absolutely hilarious, I think Ubi were screaming to us to try to tell us he was homosexual with that XD

It's been a while since I've had to chase him. I usually drop behind him, force him onto his knees, then stab him in the shoulder :)

Eternal Reward
04-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Homosexuality itself is as much as an abomination in Islam as weight is. Just wanted to correct that. Don't turn it into a religious thread, though.

I was just gonna say "Don't go down that rabbit hole guys...."

Assassin_M
04-11-2013, 09:13 PM
No no, I didn't mean to do that at all, I was just sayin`

sorry

ArabianFrost
04-11-2013, 09:16 PM
I was just gonna say "Don't go down that rabbit hole guys...."

No problem. It won't go there.

ArabianFrost
04-11-2013, 09:16 PM
No no, I didn't mean to do that at all, I was just sayin`

sorry

Let's forget about it.