PDA

View Full Version : He’s Not Perfect, But Connor {Ratonhnhaké:ton} Kenway is not a bad character. {Rant}

Pages : [1] 2 3

FirestarLuva
04-11-2013, 12:30 AM
This is not by me, but, I posted it here since I think it's probably the greatest Connor/Ratonhnhaké:ton rant ever. It was written by someone on tumblr. I think she/he writes articles for video game media, which is a good thing, since this thing needs to get published. The writer is called Leviathyn. Kudos to this person.

He’s Not Perfect, But Connor {Ratonhnhaké:ton} Kenway is not a bad character.

' ' 'The Assassin’s Creed franchise is finally at the point of yearly release. With Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag looming on the horizon, it’s become easier to look forward with burning anticipation, while pointing out the flaws of previous entries. Some think that assassinations have been all but removed from the game. Others claim that the story is becoming a muddled mess of mysticism and confusion. Then, there are those that say Connor Kenway is the worst assassin we’ve played to date.
While I won’t dispute that Connor is a far cry from the charming arrogance of Ezio or the stoic duty driver Altaïr, he is by no means a bad character. No, like many of the fault found in Assassin’s Creed III, the time period is more to blame than the person.
Connor, or Ratonhnhaké:ton as he is called prior to becoming an assassin, is a chess piece of one of the more turbulent times in history. Taking place during the American Revolution, Connor seeks to further the cause of the Revolutionaries, while pursuing his own goals. When we’re first introduced to Connor, he’s naive and guarded. Having witnessed the death of his mother, and the powerlessness that came from not being able to save her, he seeks out the training, knowledge and abilities which can help absolve that powerlessness.
Here is where our assassins take a split path. Whereas Altaïr and Ezio became the dominating factors of their story, Connor is never truly rid of this powerlessness. It’s a new character depth unreached by the other assassins because they were more instrumental in the events surrounding them. Altaïr outright liberated the assassins from a corrupt leader while Ezio led them into a new era of strength once he became the Mentor of the Order. Both retained the ability to directly influence their situations by rising in rank and/or accruing a loyal group of individuals to help them in their goals. Connor, doesn’t receive this luxury during his quests. With most major events, Connor isn’t the true driving force behind it; he’s merely taking part in a grander picture.
Connor’s powerlessness is a recurring theme throughout his journey until the very end. When he chooses to break away from his village and seek education at under the tutelage of Achilles, he’s rejected by the seasoned assassin. When he finds Charles Lee and his father for the first time in Boston, he’s denied the opportunity to take their lives, which is all he wants, because of their role in the brewing conflict. Even when he discovers the truth of George Washington’s actions, he’s largely powerless to affect any change.
Playing as a powerless protagonist is understandably unappealing on the surface. For some it may seem as though Connor is merely drifting from event to event during the American Revolution and never really taking hold of the reins and steering his own life. In my opinion, the struggle to further your own goals, by being forced to advance the goals of an outside party, makes for better characterization than simply bulldozing through everything in your path.
The events of the American Revolution are set in stone. The British won The Battle of Bunker Hill and Connor’s presence shouldn’t be enough to change that. Operating within these constraints, however, allows Connor to grow more as a character. From the limitations he’s placed in, we see Connor push and pull with his own wants versus the entire country’s desires. While Connor may want Charles Lee dead as soon as possible, he doesn’t have the power to do so because history prevents it. It creates external conflict for Connor to resolve which couldn’t have been achieved had he always been in a position to do as he pleases.
Externalities aside, Connor has a variety of internal conflicts which he struggles with over the course of the Revolution. To put it bluntly, he has the most daddy issues in the Assassin’s Creed franchise. To make that statement more general and abstract, Connor has authority issues. He’s forced to bounce from one authority figure to another because of his own lack of knowledge about the world. Beyond that, as was intended, there’s a struggle between his Native American and European roots. In addition, he struggles with accepting his father and seeking a stable parental figure in his life as evidenced by his willingness to see the good in Haytham and attempt to work with him despite his Templar allegiance.
All of these issues reach a fever pitch toward the climax of the story where Connor, fully educated in how both Haytham and Washington have been manipulating him, dissolves his ties to both and truly takes power and control for the first time. While it isn’t a total resolution of all of his character flaws and issues (for example he’s still rather naive by nature), it does mark a point of true growth for a character. While it doesn’t mark Connor’s ascension into a master assassin, it does bring a logical, human conclusion to a well developed character arc.
So did Connor Kenway make an effective protagonist for Assassin’s Creed III? In my opinion he did. Considering how limited he was by the backdrop of the American Revolution, the culmination of his own internal struggles and the external forces which he ultimately comes to realize he has no control over, Connor goes through a complete character arc. What’s more, at the end of this character arc, the world changing realization that he has to come to terms with is that not everyone can be trusted just because they’ve helped you in the past.
He loses more than he gains, realizes that he his “friends” were only circumstantial and ends his journey relatively alone. I’d say that makes for a good, if not somewhat tragic, main character in the Assassin’s Creed franchise.' ' '

Another great Rant...

' ' 'Okay, I get it, Assassin’s Creed fandom. You’re very attached to Ezio.
You played through a trio of games with him, watched him grow and fight and die, and became extremely fond of him. And why wouldn’t you? He’s a charming character with great wit, a sense of style, and some wonderful development. His games spanned a lot of drama and detail in the series’ universe, and his role in the story was very important.
But can we stop hating Connor for daring to be something other than an Ezio 2.0? For having his own personality and defining characteristics that are unique to him?
“I just can’t identify with him,” My co-worker said today. “His story wasn’t interesting. He wasn’t funny. I miss Ezio.” At my lunch break, I was very tempted to go home, pick up my Connor statuette, and beat him with it repeatedly until unconsciousness. Because this is not a unique sentiment – it has been parroted by so many AC fans that it seems to be the norm within the larger community.
This idea is built upon very wrong, very flawed principals; not only is it bigoted, it’s just plain not right.
Be a fan of Ezio. That’s fine. Even prefer him if you want. But let’s talk about some very important pieces of contextual information about Connor’s character before you go deciding anything.
For one, Connor Kenway was not born ‘Connor Kenway’. The name the player addresses him with is not his name; the language he speaks in the majority of the plot is not his first language; and the cities and societies he navigates, whatever his parentage, are not his either. All of this informs how Connor acts and speaks within the game, and it seems like a lot of fans forget this.
One of many complaints I’ve heard about why Connor’s not interesting is his voice. He doesn’t inflect much; he’s very dry and monotone. For one, there are people who speak this way. Whatever. Not everybody has to speak like they have the sun shining out their ***.
But in Connor’s case, it has everything to do with his cultural background. English is his second language. I’d like to see anyone who’s complained about Connor’s voice try to sound emotive and peppy speaking in a second language, where you’re spending most of your energy translating what you’re thinking in your mind into words, having to navigate a new tongue that you might not be very familiar with.
The English language is a mind-**** with all sorts of arbitrary rules, and a person in Connor’s place has to be listening to other speakers, trying to understand and translate what they’re saying, on top of formulating a coherent and understandable response. He’s doing language calculus in his head while everyone else is just chatting, and you want to be upset that’s he’s not doing more than he already is?
On top of this, he is an Indigenous person navigating white colonizer cities and towns. Think of what little history you learned in school. I’ll be honest and say I know jack squat about the American white colonizers were ****s who believed anyone who wasn’t white and wasn’t of their culture was an animal, a savage, and a brute.
You can tell in many dialogue scenes that the people Connor is working with don’t respect him as a human being. They treat him like a lap dog, they ignore his physical cues (backing away when they try to touch him), and they completely ignore his opinions on the bigotry and hypocrisy in their society (i.e., slavery). Connor is in a very delicate situation, where these people have legal and social power, and he doesn’t, but he needs their help.
So he’s got to put up with their ignorance while navigating their unknown culture trying to speak their language. I’m not surprised Connor pulls into his “shell”, so to speak, in a lot of scenes in the game. You can see it happening. One minute, he’s outgoing and even defiant to Achilles when it’s just them on the Homestead; the next, he’s the silent figure in the background in a room of white men. Why is it so hard to believe that an Indigenous person in this time period would feel uncomfortable in this situation and keep his head down, as much as he could?
Connor spends ninety percent of the game navigating a very dangerous, uncomfortable, alien environment – and the fans want to be upset that he’s not cracking jokes and playing the ****** like Ezio did, on top of just trying to survive?
This brings me to my next point: historical context.
So much of the impact of this game is derived from knowing some of the history of the time. Now, I’ve already said my history knowledge is negative zero. But I do know enough basics to realize just how difficult what Connor’s doing is.
Can you imagine being a Mohawk, losing your mother and watching your village be burned to the ground by white men, growing up in a time when your people are in more and more danger because of said white men, - choosing to leave the only home you’ve ever known to enter a dangerous profession and a society that hates your existence, all to make it better for your own people?
Connor is the most compassionate, self-sacrificing individual, because he takes on so much hardship and pain, all for the benefit of his people, and for the cause he comes to care about. He’s an idealist – he honestly believes that if he helps the colonizers they will help him in turn, that everything will turn out okay. He wants the Americans to be free! He thinks they deserve it, despite all the things they’ve done and how they’ve treated him.
He is good enough to put up with his ******* of a father ordering him around as if he had the right, because it’s for the greater good of his people. He can put up with white men speaking around him and calling him slurs for the greater good of his people.
He leaves his home, his people, and willingly enters the society of his oppressors to help his people; suffers micro-aggressions and bigotry all the while, and puts up with it with silent dignity. I am amazed and in awe that half the people Connor dealt with in this game didn’t get hidden blades stuck through their throats.
How can you say his story was boring? That it wasn’t engaging or you couldn’t identify with it? This story is the ultimate tale of determination and pain, but it’s not written in neon lights – it’s in the context. In’s in the ways that the white characters dismiss Connor’s wishes, words, and concerns, the way they order him around and ignore his complaints, how they treat him, and how Connor toughs it out, how he manages not to break under all this bull****, because he knows it will benefit his people.
I just… how can that kind of character not mean something to you? How can that kind of strength and compassion not hit you right in the heart?
So what if Connor’s a little quieter than Ezio? He’s more inward driven, but he’s still hilarious. If you’re not getting his jokes, you’re not paying enough attention – his wit is sharp and sarcastic.
He’s still loving and caring. Ezio might’ve been driven by the desire to revenge his fallen loved ones, but isn’t that Connor’s motivation too, in a way? But he’s working for even more than that, he wants to help all his people, not just avenge his mother.
Connor is a different person than Ezio. Obviously. But it feels like people forget that. Love Ezio! Fine! But don’t play AC3 expecting the same experience, you will be disappointed. Aren’t you capable of letting go of characters and moving on from time to time? The Metal Gear Solid fandom eventually got over MGS2’s lead being Raiden, not Snake. People were ****** Nero was the lead of Devil May Cry 4instead of Dante, now the fandom adores him. Come on, these things happen all the time. Get over it.
Ezio got three whole games. Altair got what, one console game and a crappy PSP one? And it looks like they’re already moving away from Connor and Aveline, too? Seriously, we have explored everything we can of Ezio. Let’s move on.
This is a case of fandom being waaay too in love with a character, and shoving their irritation that he’s gone into hatred of another character. That’s just childish and immature. There is no reason to hate Connor, just because he’s not Ezio.
But there’s more context to this situation, too. Connor as the lead character of this game is a HUGE deal. Video games rarely have people of color as protagonists.
Fandom, what you’re doing has bigger consequences than you know. Connor’s role in this game is historic in gaming, and yet the fans can’t stop crying for the white guy from previous games. Do you realize what that says, that an entire fandom as a whole prefers the white guy to the person of color? For reasons which are flimsy and full of holes, at best? It is just another form of racism, of refusing to even consider the context of Connor’s identity and why he might be different from what you expect, and to outright hate him for failing to meet your expectations.
Ubisoft did something good with Connor, but with outcries like these, the likelihood of it happening again becomes riskier. The IV game has been announced and it’s already clear the series is going back to its white protagonist ways, as if to placate fans incapable of thinking outside their own experiences and thinking critically about the way they view characters.
This new character has been parodied by many people already and has been compared to multiple other fictional characters, because he legitimately has little to no uniqueness in his design and is just another White Male With Stubble.
Fan reactions have consequences. Allowing your bigotry to blind you to the intricacies of Connor’s character, and nostalgically attaching yourself to the white male of games past will make an impact on what Ubisoft chooses to do in the future, and that impacts the people of color who already get so little representation in video games.
It is ignorant, selfish, and cruel for fans to blow that chance because they refuse to work through their racism. Grow up fandom. Cherish and respect Connor for who he is, and stop comparing him to Ezio.' ' '

ACfan443
04-11-2013, 12:40 AM
There suddenly seems to be a massive Connor uprising

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 12:41 AM
AC V: The Uprising

lol

Will_Lucky
04-11-2013, 12:42 AM
There suddenly seems to be a massive Connor uprising

Just a loud minority. Not exactly an uprising.

Spider_Sith9
04-11-2013, 12:47 AM
AC V: The Uprising

lolConnor comes back from the dead and slaughters everyone because of the abuse he's gone through. He's so fierce that even Juno is afraid of him! @_@

Just a loud minority. Not exactly an uprising. Shameful fact but truth.

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Don't let me beat you with that Connor statuette... (or worse, make me post some pant-less Connor pics from deviantart with 80,000 views and fangirl comments... Yes, there is such a drawing. This will be my threat from now on. Great! hehe...)

Great rants OP! Thanks! 2nd one is my fave!

VitaminsXYZ
04-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Maybe this should have gone into the other Connor thread that was recently started? :)

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Connor comes back from the dead and slaughters everyone because of the abuse he's gone through. He's so fierce that even Juno is afraid of him! @_@

Zombie Connor!!

SixKeys
04-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Did this really need its own thread?

Also, why does every Connor fan seem to assume that everyone who doesn't like him is an Ezio fan? Altaïr is my favorite, I don't care that Ezio's story is done, in fact I'm happy that he's gone after three games. Just because I don't think Connor is as interesting as the previous assassins doesn't mean I wanted him to be an Ezio clone, or even an Altaïr clone. I just wanted him to be better than what we were shown in the game.

Will_Lucky
04-11-2013, 01:03 AM
(or worse, make me post some pant-less Connor pics from deviantart with 80,000 views and fangirl comments... Yes, there is such a drawing. This will be my threat from now on. Great! hehe...)

Yeah, I saw it. I commented on it, thought he was pretty good looking....

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 01:03 AM
Yeah, I saw it. I commented on it, thought he was pretty good looking....
There goes my threat now... lol
Glad you liked it then! I will have another commission by her soon. xD

Will_Lucky
04-11-2013, 01:15 AM
There goes my threat now... lol
Glad you liked it then! I will have another commission by her soon. xD

I'll be on the lookout.

Assassin_M
04-11-2013, 01:18 AM

Also, why does every Connor fan seem to assume that everyone who doesn't like him is an Ezio fan? Altaïr is my favorite, I don't care that Ezio's story is done, in fact I'm happy that he's gone after three games. Just because I don't think Connor is as interesting as the previous assassins doesn't mean I wanted him to be an Ezio clone, or even an Altaïr clone. I just wanted him to be better than what we were shown in the game.
it`s not a baseless assumption actually, most comments about how Connor sucks are usually like this..

"Ezio was great assassin. charismatic and charming. Connor just sucks"

I can show you thousands of comments like that on Youtube, facebook, GameFAQs and HERE

I-Like-Pie45
04-11-2013, 03:14 AM
Ezs was so charming, horned, and funny. Connel sucks cuz he doesn't charming, horned, and funny.

BATISTABUS
04-11-2013, 03:41 AM
You're not going to sway the haters either way. The entire AC3 dev team clearly likes him, and his game has made the most money out of any AC game to date. I wouldn't be too concerned about a future for Connor.

Assassin_M
04-11-2013, 03:45 AM
You're not going to sway the haters either way. The entire AC3 dev team clearly likes him, and his game has made the most money out of any AC game to date. I wouldn't be too concerned about a future for Connor.
and he`s an award winning character, so...

BATISTABUS
04-11-2013, 03:47 AM
and he`s an award winning character, so...
Along with being a trail-blazer as far as respectfully representing minorities (Natives in particular) in video games.

pirate1802
04-11-2013, 05:13 AM

Yeah that's the positivity I like to see! When the next Connor game is announced I'll be here waiting to see the faces of all the haters and nonbelievers.. :p

poptartz20
04-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Wow... my eyes hurt from all that reverse type reading. Haha.

But yes I must say I agree with the first argument more vs. the second. They are all valid points. Well thought out!

ProletariatPleb
04-11-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't get the point of this thread tbh, if someone doesn't like a character then let him not like that character, why the need to rant about it, expecting people to like exactly what you like?

I like Altaïr, dislike Ezio, and I'm okay-ish with Connor(he was hardly explored) that changes what?

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 10:41 AM
I don't get the point of this thread tbh, if someone doesn't like a character then let him not like that character, why the need to rant about it, expecting people to like exactly what you like?

I like Altaïr, dislike Ezio, and I'm okay-ish with Connor(he was hardly explored) that changes what?
I've seen the bashing posts these rants are based on so they are very justified. That's why they are called rants. People would not rant without a reason.

Anyway back to Connor being so awesome! XD

Sushiglutton
04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
What does it even mean to be a "bad character"? Is Luke Skywalker a bad character? Is Han Solo? I dunno. But I know I enjoyed following Han Solo a lot more than I did Luke Skywalker. Connor is not a bad character per se. It's just that I, for a number of reasons, didn't have that good of a time in his company. The overly toned down voiceacting (imo) is one such reason. The way Connor screams in situations when it's not really needed is another. His total lack of humour is a third.

Does this make him a bad character? There are people with personalities similar to Connor (well maybe not as skilled). Are they bad characters? Doesn't make any sense. Do I want to spend another 30h+ in Connor's company? Not really.

pacmanate
04-11-2013, 01:49 PM
The fact that your other thread caused an uproar and the fact that you made this thread with "rant" on the end of it which consists of long TL:DR rants makes me think you are trying to cause massive arguements. No one cares. If everyone made a thread about their opinions then these servers would crash.

Spider_Sith9
04-11-2013, 01:57 PM
The fact that your other thread caused an uproar and the fact that you made this thread with "rant" on the end of it which consists of long TL:DR rants makes me think you are trying to cause massive arguements. No one cares. If everyone made a thread about their opinions then these servers would crash.

Not really, these aren't her opinions. These are opinions of the Wolfkin Initiative. While she's a Connor fan she explicitly stated that she does this for exposure of the group. It just so happens that it's for a character that is heavily criticized. It's not a matter they are doing this for people to change their views, but to give Connor more exposition since he has alot more potential many believe.

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Not really, these aren't her opinions. These are opinions of the Wolfkin Initiative. While she's a Connor fan she explicitly stated that she does this for exposure of the group. It just so happens that it's for a character that is heavily criticized. It's not a matter they are doing this for people to change their views, but to give Connor more exposition since he has alot more potential many believe.
This.

pacmanate
04-11-2013, 02:00 PM

These aren't her opinions but she agrees with them. Yes this character has a divided fan group, but there was already a thread that dealt with this yesterday, and she has now made another one but instead of the thread telling all the "haters" that they don't know his true potential (which they cannot know), it is full of rants. There is no need for this thread whatsoever.

pacmanate
04-11-2013, 02:00 PM

And this.

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 02:14 PM

but...its not a minority, I think more people liked connor more than ezio, he's won awards....

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
but...its not a minority, I think more people liked connor more than ezio, he's won awards....
psst... according to rabid Ezio fans any Connor awards don't even count! okay? LOL

But yeah I don't know why people still think Connor fans are a minority. Maybe they are not as many as Ezio with his 3 games. But Connor fans are not a small minority. I don't know where they get this from. Maybe from AC's facebook page since that's where all rabid Ezio fans usually gather. But that's not the case I've seen elsewhere?

pacmanate
04-11-2013, 02:18 PM

Call of Duty wins awards too. Case Closed.

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
So? Aren't we talking about fan minorities here?? CoD has many fans that give CoD awards. Regardless if it's good or not (haven't played it). I think that was his point. Connor has many fans that give him awards.

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 02:21 PM

but that's your opinion that call of duty it bad, it sells a lot for a reason because it's fun..... you presented opinion and I presented facts, which one of us is going to be correct?

pacmanate
04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
but that's your opinion that call of duty it bad, it sells a lot for a reason because it's fun..... you presented opinion and I presented facts, which one of us is going to be correct?

No one and this is why this thread is annoying.

OP has posted 2 threads in 2 days about her opinion of Connor. Almost trying to change our minds about what we think about Connor and to try and make us like him. This thread isn't needed, no one needs to see rants of how much they like Connor. If people don't like him, why post rants about why people DO like him?

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 02:25 PM
I personally think the rants are justified... So the thread has a point I think.

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 02:26 PM
psst... according to rabid Ezio fans any Connor awards don't even count! okay? LOL

But yeah I don't know why people still think Connor fans are a minority. Maybe they are not as many as Ezio with his 3 games. But Connor fans are not a small minority. I don't know where they get this from. Maybe from AC's facebook page since that's where all rabid Ezio fans usually gather. But that's not the case I've seen elsewhere?

i only could really connect with ezio in revelations, he was boring in brotherhood and I couldn't relate to such a "perfect" character in ac2, connor is not perfect which is why he is so relatable and real (which is why I liked ezio in revelations because he finally got serious about what he wanted to do with his life), connor makes mistakes, me gets angry, sad, happy and any other kind of emotion which is why he has so much potential, he deserves a sequel but as I said in another thread we just can't say anything until we play ac4, after knowing the way that game nds we can speculate better, I still think connor is linked to ac4 and will lead to a connor sequel.

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
No one and this is why this thread is annoying.

OP has posted 2 threads in 2 days about her opinion of Connor. Almost trying to change our minds about what we think about Connor and to try and make us like him. This thread isn't needed, no one needs to see rants of how much they like Connor. If people don't like him, why post rants about why people DO like him?

your not a mod, you can ignore the thread, no need to be sensible. a mod hasn't closed the thread down. also opinions are very important, thats what forums are for, for people to discuss opinions we are not in a class to listen to solid facts 24/7 if you don't like the thread then ignore it, but then your contradicting yourself because I presented facts but your still relying on opinion.

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 02:30 PM
i only could really connect with ezio in revelations, he was boring in brotherhood and I couldn't relate to such a "perfect" character in ac2, connor is not perfect which is why he is so relatable and real (which is why I liked ezio in revelations because he finally got serious about what he wanted to do with his life), connor makes mistakes, me gets angry, sad, happy and any other kind of emotion which is why he has so much potential, he deserves a sequel but as I said in another thread we just can't say anything until we play ac4, after knowing the way that game nds we can speculate better, I still think connor is linked to ac4 and will lead to a connor sequel.
Same here.
Yes, I liked Ezio's personality in Revelations better than all other versions. Too bad they had to delay so much his character development. oh well...

Yes, Connor HAS to make some appearance at least. Here's hoping they don't do it so as to just to kill him off 10 min later... or I will be staring at Ubisoft like this forever: ಠ_ಠ

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Same here.
Yes, I liked Ezio's personality in Revelations better than all other versions. Too bad they had to delay so much his character development. oh well...

Yes, Connor HAS to make some appearance at least. Here's hoping they do it so as to just to kill him off 10 min later... or I will be staring at Ubisoft like this forever: ಠ_ಠ

you know what would be epic? if at the end of the game we realise the entire time we were viewing edwards memories was a memory seal that connor was looking in and we play the end as him or even better if both characters touch a POE and meet each other in the nexus of time, that would be so epic.

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 02:42 PM
you know what would be epic? if at the end of the game we realise the entire time we were viewing edwards memories was a memory seal that connor was looking in and we play the end as him or even better if both characters touch a POE and meet each other in the nexus of time, that would be so epic.
Oh yes!! The thought had crossed my mind, too, actually! That would be so epic indeed!!! (It kinda makes sense if you know what I mean? The fact we're going backwards in a Kenway timeline?? Why do that? Of course it could be another Kenway ancestor like Connor's son or something).

roostersrule2
04-11-2013, 02:44 PM
It's too close to the ending of ACR, wont happen.

I-Like-Pie45
04-11-2013, 02:54 PM
It would be really cool if everything we've seen so far of Edward was actually just a hour of gameplay (plus 12 more made of cutscenes and QTEs) before he gets inexplicably killed.

Then we see Connor on the Aquila and he's like "You were expecting someone else?" with a wink at the camera.

roostersrule2
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
It would be really cool if everything we've seen so far of Edward was actually just a hour of gameplay (plus 12 more made of cutscenes and QTEs) before he gets inexplicably killed.

Then we see Connor on the Aquila and he's like "You were expecting someone else?" with a wink at the camera.Then Maria Auditore flys in and says in a extremely high voice "THIS IS SPARTA".

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Then Maria Auditore flys in and says in a extremely high voice "THIS IS SPARTA".
Plot twist: It will be a Connor and Ezio game. Ezio comes with Leo's flying machine and saves Connor from falling into the big menacing maelstrom. Ezio and Connor are best buddies now.

Connor showing Ezio some sailing tips and Ezio showing Connor how to calmly play board games. They build a huge whale statue in honor of Edward who sadly left us so early in the game.

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 03:16 PM
It's too close to the ending of ACR, wont happen.

not really, its kind of a reverse, instead of playing as the guy closer to the present your playing the guy closer to the past, and they would physically meet in the nexus, no TWCB just family talking, in acr it was only tinia and desmond in the nexus which really annoyed me, I was expecting ezio altair and desmond saying their goodbyes to each other in the nexus but no apparently that didn't come across anyones mind at ubisoft, they need to do an interaction like that although it would have been so much more revelant for ezio and desmond meeting each other ezio would have finally gotten some proper answers not just a random realisation that the messages are not for him! but since connor knows nothing of the kenways it would be really cool for him to meet his grandfather and just learn some things about the kenways.

TheHumanTowel
04-11-2013, 03:27 PM
not really, its kind of a reverse, instead of playing as the guy closer to the present your playing the guy closer to the past, and they would physically meet in the nexus, no TWCB just family talking, in acr it was only tinia and desmond in the nexus which really annoyed me, I was expecting ezio altair and desmond saying their goodbyes to each other in the nexus but no apparently that didn't come across anyones mind at ubisoft, they need to do an interaction like that although it would have been so much more revelant for ezio and desmond meeting each other ezio would have finally gotten some proper answers not just a random realisation that the messages are not for him! but since connor knows nothing of the kenways it would be really cool for him to meet his grandfather and just learn some things about the kenways.
The ancestor's physically meeting each other would be so cheesy and awkward. Was it not enough that Ezio somewhat realised that his actions were being observed? I much prefer them all being separated by the passage of time but they're still all connected to each other whether they know it or not.

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
The ancestor's physically meeting each other would be so cheesy and awkward. Was it not enough that Ezio somewhat realised that his actions were being observed? I much prefer them all being separated by the passage of time but they're still all connected to each other whether they know it or not.

why would it be cheesy? of course it won't work to do it again and again and again with every character but it would be cool when relevant, I'm not too fussed about edward and connor, they can have a connection by connor finding his journel for example, but it was REALLY relevant for ezio who spent his entire life suffering all because of a guy called desmond, wouldn't it have been good for him to fnally put a face with the name and actually get a somewhat decent explanation for why he has had to live such a bad life?

pacmanate
04-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Oh yes!! The thought had crossed my mind, too, actually! That would be so epic indeed!!! (It kinda makes sense if you know what I mean? The fact we're going backwards in a Kenway timeline?? Why do that? Of course it could be another Kenway ancestor like Connor's son or something).

There is no need for any more memory seals as we are playing as Edward before he gave up piracy, not after.

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 05:34 PM
There is no need for any more memory seals as we are playing as Edward before he gave up piracy, not after.

just because there isn't a need doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, technically the first and second memory seal of altair could have been viewed in a normal way through desmond's genetics, all the memories seals are just a story device, if it offers a way to bring connor into the story i don't see why not..

pacmanate
04-11-2013, 05:43 PM
just because there isn't a need doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, technically the first and second memory seal of altair could have been viewed in a normal way through desmond's genetics, all the memories seals are just a story device, if it offers a way to bring connor into the story i don't see why not..

Because the first memory seal didn't have anything to do with AC1 and the second seal was just an immediate Epilogue.

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Because the first memory seal didn't have anything to do with AC1 and the second seal was just an immediate Epilogue.

I don't see how that's relevant to what i'm saying? I'm saying that although we can just view Edwards memories through the normal route (DNA) if there is a chance of a connor connection then it will make a memory seal a great way of allowing that kind of story to flourish.

Bastiaen
04-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Ultimately, a good rant. I agree with most of it. Connor is actually my favorite. I''m replaying the franchise right now, currently on ACR, and I can't wait to get back to AC3.

Spider_Sith9
04-11-2013, 08:09 PM
These aren't her opinions but she agrees with them. Yes this character has a divided fan group, but there was already a thread that dealt with this yesterday, and she has now made another one but instead of the thread telling all the "haters" that they don't know his true potential (which they cannot know), it is full of rants. There is no need for this thread whatsoever. I see your point, but she likes Connor so of course she agrees with them. I see nothing wrong with that.

Same here.

Yes, Connor HAS to make some appearance at least. Here's hoping they do it so as to just to kill him off 10 min later... or I will be staring at Ubisoft like this forever: ಠ_ಠ

.........you want Connor to die in 10 minutes?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mhfgq5ZcBn1rorm7co1_1359530863_cover.jpg

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 08:13 PM
I see your point, but she likes Connor so of course she agrees with them. I see nothing wrong with that.

.........you want Connor to die in 10 minutes?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mhfgq5ZcBn1rorm7co1_1359530863_cover.jpg
hey oops!! Stupid spell checker. lulz Course not!! XD
(gonna correct it now. ahaha! Such a bad fan I am! wanting Connor to die in 10 min!) :p

Assassin_M
04-11-2013, 09:12 PM
same 3 people, the last 3 pages, saying the same things as in the past threads...but eh, it`s died down now, wont bring it back again and lol at every reaction to Connor winning an award...U mad ??

anyways, you`re putting too much risk on yourself, OP by spreading this, I mean i`m sure everyone appreciates it, but looking at some of the nasty replies to what you`re doing here, i`d say it`s not really worth it, we know Connor has a big fanbase and we know he`s a great character, hell liking Connor is not being in the minority in this place, but you know, you`re coming under a lot of unnecessary fire here...

Great rants btw

shobhit7777777
04-11-2013, 09:37 PM
This entire thing has devolved into a "Team Edward vs Team Jacob" situation
Immaturity and narrow-mindedness has turned this forum into a tween mosh-pit

I request people of both camps to enjoy their choices and behave like adults.

You're ****ing the forum's zen up.....I'd rather we discuss crucial gameplay and narrative issues in the upcoming game than get into these petty, self centered arguments and **** measuring contests

OT

Connor needs another game

Spider_Sith9
04-11-2013, 10:13 PM
This entire thing has devolved into a "Team Edward vs Team Jacob" situation
Immaturity and narrow-mindedness has turned this forum into a tween mosh-pit

I request people of both camps to enjoy their choices and behave like adults.

You're ****ing the forum's zen up.....I'd rather we discuss crucial gameplay and narrative issues in the upcoming game than get into these petty, self centered arguments and **** measuring contests

OT

Connor needs another game

The past few months this forum had no zen. Originally I was the enemy though. I blame the Assassin-Templar war. :D

Assassin_M
04-11-2013, 10:22 PM
I blame the Assassin-Templar war. :D
Not the Desmond Daughter Video ?

DaftPunk___
06-19-2014, 12:17 PM
These rants are truly amazing.
Ratonhnhaké:ton is my favourite assassin by far.

And you know what Ubisoft said?
"We already took their country, why not make a game for them?"
Ubisoft respect the Native Americans and their cultures.
I'd love to rant about this too.

And you know what? I might.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 12:24 PM
These rants are truly amazing.
Ratonhnhaké:ton is my favourite assassin by far.

And you know what Ubisoft said?
"We already took their country, why not make a game for them?"
Ubisoft respect the Native Americans and their cultures.
I'd love to rant about this too.

And you know what? I might.
Thanks for bumping this thread, it's great that you appreciate Ratonhnhaké:ton and that he's your favourite assassin! Welcome to the forums, we have quite a following for Connor over here so you'll feel welcome. :)

DaftPunk___
06-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks for bumping this thread, it's great that you appreciate Ratonhnhaké:ton and that he's your favourite assassin! Welcome to the forums, we have quite a following for Connor over here so you'll feel welcome. :)

Aw. Thanks! I feel the love already~
I made this account ages ago on my Wii U but only now decided to hop on!

When I talk to my friends about ACIII I say Ratonhnhaké:ton instead of Connor, since it's his real name, but if I must, I use Connor at times. It doesn't bother me. :D

Coming from Australia I can say I can relate with the Native Americans. The English took the Aboriginal's lands and took it for their own.
Though I am not Aboriginal in any way, I still like to think about them and respect them. After all, their lives were taken away!
The Stolen Generation was a time in the 1900s where they would steal the children from the homes to use them as slaves or even worse, 'toys', if you get what I mean.

So yeah, that's why the way Connor acts makes me happy. I can relate with him since of what he's been through. His naiveness too, he never had a parent there too look out for him. It was always just the tribe and Achilles.

Imagine if you were Connor. Wouldn't cracking jokes every minute or so and to think about women and things like that make you slightly irritating? After all, he is trying to save his people.

Ubisoft also announced he was a virgin at the age of 30, where the game ended. He was too busy thinking of his people to care about women.

That's why...I think he's more developed than the rest.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Aw. Thanks! I feel the love already~
I made this account ages ago on my Wii U but only now decided to hop on!

When I talk to my friends about ACIII I say Ratonhnhaké:ton instead of Connor, since it's his real name, but if I must, I use Connor at times. It doesn't bother me. :D

Coming from Australia I can say I can relate with the Native Americans. The English took the Aboriginal's lands and took it for their own.
Though I am not Aboriginal in any way, I still like to think about them and respect them. After all, their lives were taken away!
The Stolen Generation was a time in the 1900s where they would steal the children from the homes to use them as slaves or even worse, 'toys', if you get what I mean.

So yeah, that's why the way Connor acts makes me happy. I can relate with him. His naiveness too, he never had a parent there too look our for him. It was always just the tribe and Achilles.

Imagine if you were Connor. Wouldn't cracking jokes every minute or so and to think about women and things like that make you slightly irritating? After all, he is trying to save his people.

Ubisoft also announced he was a virgin at the at of 30, where the game ended. He was too busy thinking of his people to care about women.

That's why...I think he's more developed than the rest.
You're welcome! Great that you do, but also be aware we do get the fair share of fans here that dislike Connor, just so that you're aware of them.

Well here is a great place you can talk as much Connor as you like, especially on the Tumblr thread we have on the forums: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/758259-AC-On-Tumblr-A-Whole-New-World-(A-fun-thread-for-all-fanart)

It's heartwarming that you feel that you can relate, I'm 1/2 Native American Mohawk myself. Native people not only just Native Americans, I'm talking about around the world, had always struggled with English taking lands hundreds of years of them thinking they were superior, it was a difficult time. I respect that you respect struggle means a lot.

Those reasons you've stated I also like Connor for those reasons, he wasn't so naive by the end of AC3 he had learned from his mistakes you can see that he was reflecting on everything that happened you could tell he was at a different place after everything.

Exactly he was trying to save our people, also for the fact that he went through so much that he isn't going to be the most happy go lucky person that would be unrealistic. Which is one of the reasons why I dislike Ezio his character was unrealistic and stereotypical Italian man that let his character down.

Connor was about 27 when AC3 ended he was still quite young.

I agree Connor was more developed, realistic and had more dimensions. If you look into Connor's expressions they tell you more even though they are subtle they are there, For example when Connor killed Thomas Hickey you can see from the expressions that Connor used there exactly what Connor is thinking about. Which is why Noah is also an amazing actor to show that in expressions.

SixKeys
06-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Goddammit......Who keeps reviving these threads?

Legendz54
06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Goddammit......Who keeps reviving these threads?

the potato.

rprkjj
06-19-2014, 02:33 PM
This is not by me, but, I posted it here since I think it's probably the greatest Connor/Ratonhnhaké:ton rant ever. It was written by someone on tumblr. I think she/he writes articles for video game media, which is a good thing, since this thing needs to get published. The writer is called Leviathyn. Kudos to this person.

He’s Not Perfect, But Connor {Ratonhnhaké:ton} Kenway is not a bad character.

' ' 'The Assassin’s Creed franchise is finally at the point of yearly release. With Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag looming on the horizon, it’s become easier to look forward with burning anticipation, while pointing out the flaws of previous entries. Some think that assassinations have been all but removed from the game. Others claim that the story is becoming a muddled mess of mysticism and confusion. Then, there are those that say Connor Kenway is the worst assassin we’ve played to date.
While I won’t dispute that Connor is a far cry from the charming arrogance of Ezio or the stoic duty driver Altaïr, he is by no means a bad character. No, like many of the fault found in Assassin’s Creed III, the time period is more to blame than the person.
Connor, or Ratonhnhaké:ton as he is called prior to becoming an assassin, is a chess piece of one of the more turbulent times in history. Taking place during the American Revolution, Connor seeks to further the cause of the Revolutionaries, while pursuing his own goals. When we’re first introduced to Connor, he’s naive and guarded. Having witnessed the death of his mother, and the powerlessness that came from not being able to save her, he seeks out the training, knowledge and abilities which can help absolve that powerlessness.
Here is where our assassins take a split path. Whereas Altaïr and Ezio became the dominating factors of their story, Connor is never truly rid of this powerlessness. It’s a new character depth unreached by the other assassins because they were more instrumental in the events surrounding them. Altaïr outright liberated the assassins from a corrupt leader while Ezio led them into a new era of strength once he became the Mentor of the Order. Both retained the ability to directly influence their situations by rising in rank and/or accruing a loyal group of individuals to help them in their goals. Connor, doesn’t receive this luxury during his quests. With most major events, Connor isn’t the true driving force behind it; he’s merely taking part in a grander picture.
Connor’s powerlessness is a recurring theme throughout his journey until the very end. When he chooses to break away from his village and seek education at under the tutelage of Achilles, he’s rejected by the seasoned assassin. When he finds Charles Lee and his father for the first time in Boston, he’s denied the opportunity to take their lives, which is all he wants, because of their role in the brewing conflict. Even when he discovers the truth of George Washington’s actions, he’s largely powerless to affect any change.
Playing as a powerless protagonist is understandably unappealing on the surface. For some it may seem as though Connor is merely drifting from event to event during the American Revolution and never really taking hold of the reins and steering his own life. In my opinion, the struggle to further your own goals, by being forced to advance the goals of an outside party, makes for better characterization than simply bulldozing through everything in your path.
The events of the American Revolution are set in stone. The British won The Battle of Bunker Hill and Connor’s presence shouldn’t be enough to change that. Operating within these constraints, however, allows Connor to grow more as a character. From the limitations he’s placed in, we see Connor push and pull with his own wants versus the entire country’s desires. While Connor may want Charles Lee dead as soon as possible, he doesn’t have the power to do so because history prevents it. It creates external conflict for Connor to resolve which couldn’t have been achieved had he always been in a position to do as he pleases.
Externalities aside, Connor has a variety of internal conflicts which he struggles with over the course of the Revolution. To put it bluntly, he has the most daddy issues in the Assassin’s Creed franchise. To make that statement more general and abstract, Connor has authority issues. He’s forced to bounce from one authority figure to another because of his own lack of knowledge about the world. Beyond that, as was intended, there’s a struggle between his Native American and European roots. In addition, he struggles with accepting his father and seeking a stable parental figure in his life as evidenced by his willingness to see the good in Haytham and attempt to work with him despite his Templar allegiance.
All of these issues reach a fever pitch toward the climax of the story where Connor, fully educated in how both Haytham and Washington have been manipulating him, dissolves his ties to both and truly takes power and control for the first time. While it isn’t a total resolution of all of his character flaws and issues (for example he’s still rather naive by nature), it does mark a point of true growth for a character. While it doesn’t mark Connor’s ascension into a master assassin, it does bring a logical, human conclusion to a well developed character arc.
So did Connor Kenway make an effective protagonist for Assassin’s Creed III? In my opinion he did. Considering how limited he was by the backdrop of the American Revolution, the culmination of his own internal struggles and the external forces which he ultimately comes to realize he has no control over, Connor goes through a complete character arc. What’s more, at the end of this character arc, the world changing realization that he has to come to terms with is that not everyone can be trusted just because they’ve helped you in the past.
He loses more than he gains, realizes that he his “friends” were only circumstantial and ends his journey relatively alone. I’d say that makes for a good, if not somewhat tragic, main character in the Assassin’s Creed franchise.' ' '

Another great Rant...

' ' 'Okay, I get it, Assassin’s Creed fandom. You’re very attached to Ezio.
You played through a trio of games with him, watched him grow and fight and die, and became extremely fond of him. And why wouldn’t you? He’s a charming character with great wit, a sense of style, and some wonderful development. His games spanned a lot of drama and detail in the series’ universe, and his role in the story was very important.
But can we stop hating Connor for daring to be something other than an Ezio 2.0? For having his own personality and defining characteristics that are unique to him?
“I just can’t identify with him,” My co-worker said today. “His story wasn’t interesting. He wasn’t funny. I miss Ezio.” At my lunch break, I was very tempted to go home, pick up my Connor statuette, and beat him with it repeatedly until unconsciousness. Because this is not a unique sentiment – it has been parroted by so many AC fans that it seems to be the norm within the larger community.
This idea is built upon very wrong, very flawed principals; not only is it bigoted, it’s just plain not right.
Be a fan of Ezio. That’s fine. Even prefer him if you want. But let’s talk about some very important pieces of contextual information about Connor’s character before you go deciding anything.
For one, Connor Kenway was not born ‘Connor Kenway’. The name the player addresses him with is not his name; the language he speaks in the majority of the plot is not his first language; and the cities and societies he navigates, whatever his parentage, are not his either. All of this informs how Connor acts and speaks within the game, and it seems like a lot of fans forget this.
One of many complaints I’ve heard about why Connor’s not interesting is his voice. He doesn’t inflect much; he’s very dry and monotone. For one, there are people who speak this way. Whatever. Not everybody has to speak like they have the sun shining out their ***.
But in Connor’s case, it has everything to do with his cultural background. English is his second language. I’d like to see anyone who’s complained about Connor’s voice try to sound emotive and peppy speaking in a second language, where you’re spending most of your energy translating what you’re thinking in your mind into words, having to navigate a new tongue that you might not be very familiar with.
The English language is a mind-**** with all sorts of arbitrary rules, and a person in Connor’s place has to be listening to other speakers, trying to understand and translate what they’re saying, on top of formulating a coherent and understandable response. He’s doing language calculus in his head while everyone else is just chatting, and you want to be upset that’s he’s not doing more than he already is?
On top of this, he is an Indigenous person navigating white colonizer cities and towns. Think of what little history you learned in school. I’ll be honest and say I know jack squat about the American white colonizers were ****s who believed anyone who wasn’t white and wasn’t of their culture was an animal, a savage, and a brute.
You can tell in many dialogue scenes that the people Connor is working with don’t respect him as a human being. They treat him like a lap dog, they ignore his physical cues (backing away when they try to touch him), and they completely ignore his opinions on the bigotry and hypocrisy in their society (i.e., slavery). Connor is in a very delicate situation, where these people have legal and social power, and he doesn’t, but he needs their help.
So he’s got to put up with their ignorance while navigating their unknown culture trying to speak their language. I’m not surprised Connor pulls into his “shell”, so to speak, in a lot of scenes in the game. You can see it happening. One minute, he’s outgoing and even defiant to Achilles when it’s just them on the Homestead; the next, he’s the silent figure in the background in a room of white men. Why is it so hard to believe that an Indigenous person in this time period would feel uncomfortable in this situation and keep his head down, as much as he could?
Connor spends ninety percent of the game navigating a very dangerous, uncomfortable, alien environment – and the fans want to be upset that he’s not cracking jokes and playing the ****** like Ezio did, on top of just trying to survive?
This brings me to my next point: historical context.
So much of the impact of this game is derived from knowing some of the history of the time. Now, I’ve already said my history knowledge is negative zero. But I do know enough basics to realize just how difficult what Connor’s doing is.
Can you imagine being a Mohawk, losing your mother and watching your village be burned to the ground by white men, growing up in a time when your people are in more and more danger because of said white men, - choosing to leave the only home you’ve ever known to enter a dangerous profession and a society that hates your existence, all to make it better for your own people?
Connor is the most compassionate, self-sacrificing individual, because he takes on so much hardship and pain, all for the benefit of his people, and for the cause he comes to care about. He’s an idealist – he honestly believes that if he helps the colonizers they will help him in turn, that everything will turn out okay. He wants the Americans to be free! He thinks they deserve it, despite all the things they’ve done and how they’ve treated him.
He is good enough to put up with his ******* of a father ordering him around as if he had the right, because it’s for the greater good of his people. He can put up with white men speaking around him and calling him slurs for the greater good of his people.
He leaves his home, his people, and willingly enters the society of his oppressors to help his people; suffers micro-aggressions and bigotry all the while, and puts up with it with silent dignity. I am amazed and in awe that half the people Connor dealt with in this game didn’t get hidden blades stuck through their throats.
How can you say his story was boring? That it wasn’t engaging or you couldn’t identify with it? This story is the ultimate tale of determination and pain, but it’s not written in neon lights – it’s in the context. In’s in the ways that the white characters dismiss Connor’s wishes, words, and concerns, the way they order him around and ignore his complaints, how they treat him, and how Connor toughs it out, how he manages not to break under all this bull****, because he knows it will benefit his people.
I just… how can that kind of character not mean something to you? How can that kind of strength and compassion not hit you right in the heart?
So what if Connor’s a little quieter than Ezio? He’s more inward driven, but he’s still hilarious. If you’re not getting his jokes, you’re not paying enough attention – his wit is sharp and sarcastic.
He’s still loving and caring. Ezio might’ve been driven by the desire to revenge his fallen loved ones, but isn’t that Connor’s motivation too, in a way? But he’s working for even more than that, he wants to help all his people, not just avenge his mother.
Connor is a different person than Ezio. Obviously. But it feels like people forget that. Love Ezio! Fine! But don’t play AC3 expecting the same experience, you will be disappointed. Aren’t you capable of letting go of characters and moving on from time to time? The Metal Gear Solid fandom eventually got over MGS2’s lead being Raiden, not Snake. People were ****** Nero was the lead of Devil May Cry 4instead of Dante, now the fandom adores him. Come on, these things happen all the time. Get over it.
Ezio got three whole games. Altair got what, one console game and a crappy PSP one? And it looks like they’re already moving away from Connor and Aveline, too? Seriously, we have explored everything we can of Ezio. Let’s move on.
This is a case of fandom being waaay too in love with a character, and shoving their irritation that he’s gone into hatred of another character. That’s just childish and immature. There is no reason to hate Connor, just because he’s not Ezio.
But there’s more context to this situation, too. Connor as the lead character of this game is a HUGE deal. Video games rarely have people of color as protagonists.
Fandom, what you’re doing has bigger consequences than you know. Connor’s role in this game is historic in gaming, and yet the fans can’t stop crying for the white guy from previous games. Do you realize what that says, that an entire fandom as a whole prefers the white guy to the person of color? For reasons which are flimsy and full of holes, at best? It is just another form of racism, of refusing to even consider the context of Connor’s identity and why he might be different from what you expect, and to outright hate him for failing to meet your expectations.
Ubisoft did something good with Connor, but with outcries like these, the likelihood of it happening again becomes riskier. The IV game has been announced and it’s already clear the series is going back to its white protagonist ways, as if to placate fans incapable of thinking outside their own experiences and thinking critically about the way they view characters.
This new character has been parodied by many people already and has been compared to multiple other fictional characters, because he legitimately has little to no uniqueness in his design and is just another White Male With Stubble.
Fan reactions have consequences. Allowing your bigotry to blind you to the intricacies of Connor’s character, and nostalgically attaching yourself to the white male of games past will make an impact on what Ubisoft chooses to do in the future, and that impacts the people of color who already get so little representation in video games.
It is ignorant, selfish, and cruel for fans to blow that chance because they refuse to work through their racism. Grow up fandom. Cherish and respect Connor for who he is, and stop comparing him to Ezio.' ' '

In response to the second paragraph, that seems more like a reason Connor makes sense as a character, not a reason he's a good character. I like Connor, he was a breathe of fresh air, but that's mostly it. He's unique, and I'm pretty sure he was created opposite to Ezio, which is fine.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Yay, another Connor fan/rant! Welcome to the forums!

Glad to see you appreciate Connor as much as the fan base does! You should see the long post I made when I first joined here. As people read that, they understood more about him and decided to give him a second chance and they would like him or like him even more.

Warms me heart every time<3

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Nothing you can say will help me get over his naivete and the fact that he's the only Assassin lacking in skill so badly as to be jailed.

Even if it makes sense considering his upbringing it doesn't make him likeable or good which are more subjective anyways.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Well, that's your opinion and you didn't need to say anything.

... If I had a nickel for every time we had a discussion about Connor and someone just HAS to say something negative when it wasn't called for... :rolleyes:

Not to mention there is a reason for his behaviors..

AssassinHMS
06-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Nothing you can say will help me get over his naivete and the fact that he's the only Assassin lacking in skill so badly as to be jailed.

Even if it makes sense considering his upbringing it doesn't make him likeable or good which are more subjective anyways.
Don't do that.

Connor is great in every possible way and those who dislike him do so because they fail to understand his greatness. Ezio sucks.

I hope balance was restored.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Don't do that.

Connor is great in every possible way and those who dislike him do so because they fail to understand his greatness. Ezio sucks.

I wish I had the strength to say that, but I want to wake up alive the next morning lol

But yeah, those kinds of people got Ezio too far up their backside to appreciate a realistic character I guess.. Not every character should be charismatic or whatever trait Ezio had.. It gets boring after a while.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Well, that's your opinion and you didn't need to say anything.

... If I had a nickel for every time we had a discussion about Connor and someone just HAS to say something negative when it wasn't called for... :rolleyes:

Not to mention there is a reason for his behaviors..

You liking him is also an opinion. I can say what I think and you can say what you think. That's the point of a forum. This is a thread about Connor and his character and I have the right to say the opposite to it.

Don't do that.

I don't care about Ezio like some ridiculous fanatic, everyone always makes that assumption it's irritating.

Just because I hate Connor doesn't mean I love Ezio kai?

He's passable at bloody best, my favorite is Altair.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 03:29 PM
i love veveryone

I wish I had the strength to say that, but I want to wake up alive the next morning lol

But yeah, those kinds of people got Ezio too far up their backside to appreciate a realistic character I guess.. Not every character should be charismatic or whatever trait Ezio had.. It gets boring after a while.
he was making fun of you.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 03:34 PM
You liking him is also an opinion. I can say what I think and you can say what you think. That's the point of a forum. This is a thread about Connor and his character and I have the right to say the opposite to it.

People never have the right reason to hate Connor. They hate him because he's not someone else and they shouldn't be comparing him to someone else because EVERYONE is and should be different. It's okay to voice your opinion, but at least be reasonable about it. And you hate him because he got jailed? .. And I thought people hated him because of his looks >_>

And for the record, he's the most skilled assassin out there because he is a Native American and they were born and raised to be brutal. The assassin training just added to his brutality.

he was making fun of you.[/FONT]

o__O

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 03:38 PM
People never have the right reason to hate Connor. They hate him because he's not someone else and they shouldn't be comparing him to someone else because EVERYONE is and should be different. It's okay to voice your opinion, but at least be reasonable about it. And you hate him because he got jailed? .. And I thought people hated him because of his looks >_>

And for the record, he's the most skilled assassin out there because he is a Native American and they were born and raised to be brutal. The assassin training just added to his brutality.

o__O

His looks? Nah he looks badass.

Yes I hate that he gets caught, are you kidding me? Altair and Ezio are like half his size at his age and STILL never get sent to jail. It reflects poorly on his skill, why should I like someone who fights more like a warrior than an Assassin?

**** the game ruined stealth too so it adds even more to the feeling he's unskilled because the game refuses to allow you to do anything stealthily.

The game is clumsy and the story makes Connor look clumsy at times as well and yes the skill of the assassin is a very important factor for me.

Oh btw assassins aren't supposed to be brutal -.- they're supposed to be silent efficient killers not brutes running around shoving weapons in throats.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Each Assassin is the most skilled Assassin yet.

Stop comparing them like that, because they're all awesome. I hate it when people do this with superheroes as well. I don't give a crap if DC heroes can beat most Marvel heroes, I don't like them just because of their powers.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 03:42 PM

Stop comparing them like that, because they're all awesome. I hate it when people do this with superheroes as well. I don't give a crap if DC heroes can beat most Marvel heroes, I don't like them just because of their powers.

Did I also not say clearly that his naivete bugs me? He needed the wake up slap he got later in the game earlier cause he spoke idiocy for most of it. What Benjamin Church said should have been a bomb on his head but instead it's clear he is incapable of accepting it or understanding it, he just brushes it off saying just because you're sincere doesn't mean your words are true.

I mean really? These people are dropping some deep **** on him and he just stubbornly brushes it aside thinking that his way is always the best, he barely even thinks about it later.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 03:42 PM

Yes I hate that he gets caught, are you kidding me? Altair and Ezio are like half his size at his age and STILL never get sent to jail. It reflects poorly on his skill, why should I like someone who fights more like a warrior than an Assassin?

**** the game ruined stealth too so it adds even more to the feeling he's unskilled because the game refuses to allow you to do anything stealthily.

The game is clumsy and the story makes Connor look clumsy at times as well and yes the skill of the assassin is a very important factor for me.

I'll give you that.

The only reason why he was caught was to make sure Thomas Hickey was caught as well so he couldn't get to Washington. He was willing to sacrifice most of his freedom so Washington had his. If that's not "chivalry", then I don't know what is lol.

Did I also not say clearly that his naivete bugs me? He needed the wake up slap he got later in the game earlier cause he spoke idiocy for most of it. What Benjamin Church said should have been a bomb on his head but instead it's clear he is incapable of accepting it or understanding it, he just brushes it off saying just because you're sincere doesn't mean your words are true.

I mean really? These people are dropping some deep **** on him and he just stubbornly brushes it aside thinking that his way is always the best, he barely even thinks about it later.

What's wrong with being naive? Were we all not naive at one point in our lives? Thats a realistic characteristic that we all can relate to because I can bet money that we were all like this in one point of our lives.

You got a point. It's what makes them unique.

Hans684
06-19-2014, 03:44 PM

Oh btw assassins aren't supposed to be brutal -.- they're supposed to be silent efficient killers not brutes running around shoving weapons in throats.

Ezio did. Altaïr is the only one to not get in jail.

---------------------------------------

Fun fact: Connor never used the name Kenway, it's just Connor. Connor Kenway don't exist.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 03:45 PM

His naivete is part of the reason why I like him.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 03:49 PM

When did Ezio get sent to jail cause I don't recall?

I don't like to play as simpletons. Naivete is there because of a lack of knowledge and experience. He thinks he has the power to change a whole colony of people that are bent on their own interests, he's foolish enough to believe that the world abides by honor, love, and respect at all times even when inconvenient.

That's childish, the ending of Assassins Creed 3 shows what happens when you remain ignorant to the world, you get a cold slap of reality to wake up and think like a mature adult.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 03:49 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't care about Ezio like some ridiculous fanatic, everyone always makes that assumption it's irritating.

Just because I hate Connor doesn't mean I love Ezio kai?

He's passable at bloody best, my favorite is Altair.
Are you done hating on Connor?

Such resistance in not wanting to take time to understand Connor's character.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Guys, AssassinHMS was mocking you with his post. Stop thanking him. -_-

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 03:52 PM

---------------------------------------

Fun fact: Connor never used the name Kenway, it's just Connor. Connor Kenway don't exist.

Ah, I forgot about that one. Haven't played with Ezio in a while lol

Thats true about the fun fact:

"Early on, several news media and publishers, including Ubisoft, erroneously gave Ratonhnhaké:ton's adopted name as Connor Kenway. Ratonhnhaké:ton was never shown to adopt his father's surname, which was later confirmed by Ubisoft's official Assassin's Creed Facebook page."

I liked his naive too oddly lol

Series lead writer Corey May intended for Connor be more thoughtful due to his upbringing, and to consider different perspectives. He added that Connor was motivated by a desire to fix the problems in the world that he feels no one else is willing to do anything about, and that this idealism "makes him a little bit naive, [...] he thinks that one person can make a difference, but he clings to that belief and remains very firm in his convictions, so I think it makes him endearing in a way that previous Assassins haven't been."

o____O;;

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 03:54 PM

I don't like to play as simpletons. Naivete is there because of a lack of knowledge and experience. He thinks he has the power to change a whole colony of people that are bent on their own interests, he's foolish enough to believe that the world abides by honor, love, and respect at all times even when inconvenient.

That's childish, the ending of Assassins Creed 3 shows what happens when you remain ignorant to the world, you get a cold slap of reality to wake up and think like a mature adult.

In the beginning of AC3, Connor wanted to push out all of the colonists. Once he actually met them, people like Achilles and Sam Adams, he developed an appreciation for the colonists and felt like they were fighting for a just cause. It may have been naive of him to trust them, but his willingness to trust others and his seeking to fight for a good cause is honorable and it's part of what makes him a character that I love.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 03:55 PM
I missed that..

HMS I take that thanks back :nonchalance:

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 03:58 PM
In the beginning of AC3, Connor wanted to push out all of the colonists. Once he actually met them, people like Achilles and Sam Adams, he developed an appreciation for the colonists and felt like they were fighting for a just cause. It may have been naive of him to trust them, but his willingness to trust others and his seeking to fight for a good cause is honorable and it's part of what makes him a character that I love.

I couldn't have said it any better!

steveeire
06-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Emm, I don't really need to voice my opinion do I.

Also nero thread should stay dead.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 04:03 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are you done hating on Connor?

Such resistance in not wanting to take time to understand Connor's character.

You realize your post sounds like

>Like what I like or your opinion is stupid and invalid

Oh and

>You don't like him because you don't understand him

right?

Get out of here with that ****. Don't imply that I'm an idiot simply cause I don't like him, I understand his character plenty doesn't make him likeable period.

Just like understanding the character of Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs doesn't make him likeable. Oh you get it, he wants to be a woman, really bad, but he's not likeable, he'll take the skin off of people to achieve his goals after all.

Never said he had no development at all. I never said he has NO likeable qualities, I gave my opinion.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 04:04 PM
What also annoys me, is whenever Connor fans say things positively about Connor we get all this ********! Just respect each other just because you don't like a character, don't shut down anyone just because they happen to like them as their favourite assassin. This is the problem in this AC fandom, opinions are fine just don't try to force them on fans who happen to be a fan of Connor.

rprkjj
06-19-2014, 04:07 PM

o__O

Connor isn't a perfect character. It's your opinion that he's good. Different people like different characters. Also there's no right reason to dislike a character. If he was objectively perfect, there would be 0 reason to dislike him. Connor was critically disliked or deemed forgettable across the board. And some people thought he was great, which is fine.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 04:09 PM
You realize your post sounds like

>Like what I like or your opinion is stupid and invalid

Oh and

>You don't like him because you don't understand him

right?

Get out of here with that ****. Don't imply that I'm an idiot simply cause I don't like him, I understand his character plenty doesn't make him likeable period.

I'm not implying anything you read that wrong.. all I was saying is find some reasons or look with an open mind at his character.. that is all.

Your post sounded like you were offended, if you felt that way then don't be.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 04:10 PM
I like almost all protagonists.

I'm not kidding when I say that, I pretty much like any protagonist of anything ever. There might be a few protagonists I don't like but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I'm not a normal person, I like most of what I consume in media. I think humanity in general is just awesome.

steveeire
There is nothing like a Conor debate to divide this forum.

I think humanity in general is just awesome.
Dear God can I come live in your world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVSlE28hOgI

SpiritOfNevaeh
Connor isn't a perfect character. It's your opinion that he's good. Different people like different characters. Also there's no right reason to dislike a character. If he was objectively perfect, there would be 0 reason to dislike him. Connor was critically disliked or deemed forgettable across the board. And some people thought he was great, which is fine.

I never said he was a perfect character. I just said he was a more realistic character that people can relate to.

Lol and once again, you say he wasn't that great with the fan base, but I beg to differ. The creative director Alex Hutchison said this:

Connor seems to be a hit with the fan base, with the Ubisoft director adding that, “The fact that responses have been positive – we’ve already seen cosplaying and fan art – and people seem to really have adopted him, which was really satisfying.”

And this was AFTER the game was released for a while. It's just the naysayers are speaking louder than the supporters, and they're spread across different social channels which is why the reception is mixed.

AND he was nominated to be Character of the Year.

AND he won Character of the Year from Virgin Media.

AND he was rated #5 badass video game character from The Ultimate Gamer.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 04:11 PM
What also annoys me, is whenever Connor fans say things positively about Connor we get all this ********! Just respect each other just because you don't like a character, don't shut down anyone just because they happen to like them as their favourite assassin. This is the problem in this AC fandom, opinions are fine just don't try to force them on fans who happen to be a fan of Connor.

Oh the delicious irony.

You just did exactly that to me, implying my opinions are born out of misunderstanding.

I didn't force any opinion on you are you ****ing serious?

I gave my brief opinion and people jumped out of the woodwork to protect him like a ragingly mad jealous bf/gf.

If stating my opinion is forcing it on you then please stop forcing your opinion on me.

rprkjj
06-19-2014, 04:11 PM

And vice versa.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 04:12 PM
I never said he was a perfect character. I just said he was a more realistic character that people can relate to.

Lol and once again, you say he wasn't that great with the fan base, but I beg to differ. The creative director Alex Hutchison said this:

Connor seems to be a hit with the fan base, with the Ubisoft director adding that, “The fact that responses have been positive – we’ve already seen cosplaying and fan art – and people seem to really have adopted him, which was really satisfying.”

And this was AFTER the game was released for a while.

I'm pretty sure he actually said that before the game was released.

I-Like-Pie45
I like almost all protagonists.

I'm not kidding when I say that, I pretty much like any protagonist of anything ever. There might be a few protagonists I don't like but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I'm not a normal person, I like most of what I consume in media. I think humanity in general is just awesome.
No its not

adventurewomen
Oh the delicious irony.

You just did exactly that to me, implying my opinions are born out of misunderstanding.

I didn't force any opinion on you are you ****ing serious?

I gave my brief opinion and people jumped out of the woodwork to protect him like a ragingly mad jealous bf/gf.

If stating my opinion is forcing it on you then please stop forcing your opinion on me.
That post was in general not directed at you..

Anyway did you completely miss out this post, in response to you:

I'm not implying anything you read that wrong.. all I was saying is find some reasons or look with an open mind at his character.. that is all.

rprkjj
06-19-2014, 04:14 PM

And this was AFTER the game was released for a while. It's just the naysayers are speaking louder than the supporters, and they're spread across different social channels which is why the reception is mixed.

It's not really your place to say people can relate to him. Also, I don't doubt he has a fanbase, but it's a fact he wasnt received well critically. Plus I think Connor fans are just a vocal minority.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 04:15 PM

I did miss that post. I did look with an open mind to his character, when I first played the game obviously, I had no prior opinion on him.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 04:17 PM
It's not really your place to say people can relate to him. Also, I don't doubt he has a fanbase, but it's a fact he wasnt received well critically. Plus I think Connor fans are just a vocal minority.

I don't think you can actually say that anybody is a vocal minority or majority unless you have clear cut statistics on it, which we really don't. I think it's best to leave that kind of argument alone.

No its not

Oh, I'm not saying there hasn't been a lot of stupidity and wars, but when you look at all we've accomplished, not to mention all of the friendships and love and bonds that have been formed across the world and across history, I think it's pretty amazing.

rprkjj
06-19-2014, 04:18 PM

AND he was nominated to be Character of the Year.

AND he won Character of the Year from Virgin Media.

AND he was rated #5 badass video game character from The Ultimate Gamer.

I honestly think that was just hype.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure he actually said that before the game was released.

The game was released in October and that comment was made in November.

That's why I said CAN RELATE and not BETTER RELATE or SHOULD RELATE. It's their choice obviously.

I honestly think that was just hype.

Unless you have indisputable truth about this, then I would have to say otherwise. :p

steveeire
06-19-2014, 04:21 PM
However you may feel about Conor there is one thing you can't doubt, his friend sucks at hide and go seek.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 04:21 PM

I don't think you can actually say that anybody is a vocal minority or majority unless you have clear cut statistics on it, which we really don't. I think it's best to leave that kind of argument alone.
This might be of some relevance, there have been polls about fans wanting a sequel for Connor:

http://i.imgur.com/R08JMIi.png

http://i.imgur.com/E2KD3Cs.png

http://i.imgur.com/WMsV9L1.png

I did miss that post. I did look with an open mind to his character, when I first played the game obviously, I had no prior opinion on him.
:)

That's fair perspective.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 04:23 PM
to be fair that first poll was aided by tumblr fans

although I made that poll so I'm sort of responsible for that

the AC wiki poll is totally legit though, would use that as proof for sure

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 04:25 PM
However you may feel about Conor there is one thing you can't doubt, his friend sucks at hide and go seek.

Lol well played!

This might be of some relevance, there have been polls about fans wanting a sequel for Connor:

Lol I was just about to look for the votes I saw to post, but you did the work for me. Nia:wen <3

Shahkulu101
06-19-2014, 04:27 PM

:)

That's fair perspective.

You're aware how small those numbers are in comparison to the 12 million that played AC3, right?

Asking here especially, a place where Connor support is prominent, bodes completely bias results.

Just accept that not everybody likes our favourite character and for the love of God don't ALWAYS assume it's as a result of them not understanding Connor and his story.

steveeire
06-19-2014, 04:28 PM

That's fair perspective.

You do realise you can also find multiple polls stating that he is the worst thing to happen to the Assassins Creed franchise.

Me I prefer to look at the next game to see how well the previous game did, and it is a fair assessment to say because of AC3 no one cared about AC4 until it came out that is. It is also not a unreasonable thing to say that AC4 saved this franchise again.

Kakuzu745
06-19-2014, 04:29 PM

You just commented word by word my feelings exactly. Still if you ask me what Connor needs is a game where he is the main focus of the story and not the historical event itself he is in...I will keep proposing the Connor/Aveline CO-OP game because I feel that is the exact things both assassins need to be more developed.

Connor character right now looks insanely cool IMO but as soon as you start to "live" with the character...it just bores me.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Shahk, I'd say that the AC wikia is actually a good representation though. You only need about 2000 responses to a poll to get a fairly accurate representation of peoples' views and the AC wikia is a place that is probably fairly unbiased.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 04:30 PM
You're aware how small those numbers are in comparison to the 12 million that played AC3, right?

Asking here especially, a place where Connor support is prominent, bodes completely bias results.

Just accept that not everybody likes our favourite character and for the love of God don't ALWAYS assume it's as a result of them not understanding Connor and his story.

Well, not everyone that played AC3 can be online when polls come out to vote for something lol. Maybe they had better things to do and by the time they saw the polls, the voting was closed :rolleyes:

You do realise you can also find multiple polls stating that he is the worst thing to happen to the Assassins Creed franchise.

Me I prefer to look at the next game to see how well the previous game did, and it is a fair assessment to say because of AC3 no one cared about AC4 until it came out that is. It is also not a unreasonable thing to say that AC4 saved this franchise again.

Find them then we'll talk. :p

Shahk, I'd say that the AC wikia is actually a good representation though. You only need about 2000 responses to a poll to get a fairly accurate representation of peoples' views and the AC wikia is a place that is probably fairly unbiased.

I didn't know about that. Makes the votes all the sweeter.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 04:31 PM

Me I prefer to look at the next game to see how well the previous game did, and it is a fair assessment to say because of AC3 no one cared about AC4 until it came out that is.

Can you show me those polls and do they come from an unbiased source?

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 04:31 PM
to be fair that first poll was aided by tumblr fans

although I made that poll so I'm sort of responsible for that

the AC wiki poll is totally legit though, would use that as proof for sure
Your poll is just one proof of that, also fans from any social media site are included fans just like us all..

AC Wiki poll for sure!

Lol well played!

Lol I was just about to look for the votes I saw to post, but you did the work for me. Nia:wen <3
You're Welcome! I had them screen capped from a while ago.. :)

If someone is amazing at Math we could have them calculate those votes as a percentage against the entire AC fan base, could work to see a total number of fans who want a Connor sequel.

steveeire
06-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Can you show me those polls and do they come from an unbiased source?

pfft like I'd go and find them.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 04:34 PM
people who go on wikis for games are mostly composed of the general gaming public btw

Sure, they may have some passion for the game series, but they're going to be the people who buy the games year after year. If a poll from the AC wikia says that most people would buy a Connor game and it has over 2000 votes, I'd trust that.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 04:35 PM
I wanna see the receipts!!

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 04:36 PM
pfft like I'd go and find them.
so we have no proof they exist..

Trust me, the worst thing to happen to this series is probably not Connor. It's probably chain kills, although they were fun, they took the game on a more combat-oriented path rather than a stealth focused or even a balanced one.

steveeire
06-19-2014, 04:41 PM

Trust me, the worst thing to happen to this series is probably not Connor. It's probably chain kills, although they were fun, they took the game on a more combat-oriented path rather than a stealth focused or even a balanced one.

Ok maybe its not worded they way I worded it, but they do exist I remember filling out multiple ones and they all had negative results for Conor, and anyway I just meant for every poll that says hes great there is one that says hes equally bad, also don't put you faith in a wiki poll.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 04:43 PM

Exactly. If you claim they exist but don't show proof, then I rest my case.

I thought the combat was fun even though that might not be what they wanted.

Ok maybe its not worded they way I worded it, but they do exist I remember filling out multiple ones and they all had negative results for Conor, and anyway I just meant for every poll that says hes great there is one that says hes equally bad, also don't put you faith in a wiki poll.

A wiki poll is available to everyone and is unbiased so I would say it's trustworthy.

Sesheenku

Don't forget the over simplification of the counter kill timing.

adventurewomen
Ok maybe its not worded they way I worded it, but I'm just saying for every poll that says hes great there is one that says hes equally bad, also don't put you faith in a wiki poll.
You missed was Jexx said here, it's true:

people who go on wikis for games are mostly composed of the general gaming public btw

Sure, they may have some passion for the game series, but they're going to be the people who buy the games year after year. If a poll from the AC wikia says that most people would buy a Connor game and it has over 2000 votes, I'd trust that.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 04:47 PM

It all depends on what setting it was in. If you go on most forums other than this one, I'd say that most likely that polls there would be somewhat negative. From what I can gather, most people who gather on forums, game websites, etc. and comment on things are fairly negative.

There's a reason why I don't trust user reviews. Well I don't trust critical reviews either anymore, but that came after I stopped trusting user reviews.

steveeire
06-19-2014, 04:48 PM
You missed was Jexx said here, it's true:

No its not the general gaming public don't give a **** about how deep lore goes they just want fun games. The majority of the general gaming public don't even bother to finish games let alone go to wikis to find out more.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Don't forget the over simplification of the counter kill timing.

That wasn't over simplification, or even simplification at all, that was just increasing the length of time you had to perform a counter.

Besides the length of time between pressing the counter button and the actual counter in AC3 and AC4 was to give you enough time to choose if you wanted to counter kill, trow, or disarm/disable. decreasing that time wouldn't really have made anything harder as you already started the counter.

I actually like the AC3 and AC4 combat system a lot better than ACB or ACR, personally. I know you feel different but I won't get into that.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 04:52 PM
No its not the general gaming public don't give a **** about how deep lore goes they just want fun games. The majority of the general gaming public don't even bother to finish games let alone go to wikis to find out more.
Actually you might be surprised, there are casual gamers do look up on Wiki for more info on story and characters.

Just accept that fans want a Connor sequel even if you don't..

steveeire
06-19-2014, 04:54 PM
I never said there aren't any only that the majority don't give a ****.

lol I already do accept that, I wasn't even arguing with you about that, but you need to accept there isn't as many Conor fans as you think or would like.

If there where we would already have a sequel.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 04:55 PM
So thus the majority don't care if there is a Connor sequel or not, just as long as the game looks and is fun? Why not have Connor then?

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 04:57 PM
So thus the majority don't care if there is a Connor sequel or not, just as long as the game looks and is fun? Why not have Connor then?
Agreed Well Said!! :)

steveeire
06-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Agreed Well Said!! :)

I dunno, you tell me, do we have a Conor sequel?

fun fact I'm playing AC3 right now.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 05:02 PM
maybe comet is connor/aveline :P

right now I wouldn't put any bets on there being a Connor sequel but I still have hope. Besides, maybe you would actually like him in his sequel, that is if you bothered to get it and play it.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 05:04 PM
I dunno you tell me, do we have a Conor sequel?

The future of AC can be anything so anything is possible in the AC universe.

Darby mentioned in his Assassin Den interviews with Loomer.. I'll paraphrase: "We always have ways to return to characters.." something along those lines, that interview was done right after that infamous Reddit AMA.. Darby was referring to Connor..
In one of these interview parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-CEHSGcxs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-CEHSGcxs&feature=youtu.be)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkHHHxEcDJ8

--------

Great that you're playing AC3 right now. :)

steveeire
06-19-2014, 05:05 PM

right now I wouldn't put any bets on there being a Connor sequel but I still have hope. Besides, maybe you would actually like him in his sequel, that is if you bothered to get it and play it.
Who knows stranger things have happened, I'm quite enjoying this run through of AC3.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 05:05 PM
I dunno, you tell me, do we have a Conor sequel?

I'm sure it's in the works. They just need time. Obviously, they can't let anyone know yet right?

Besides, these "statements", although ambiguous, seemed to get everyone in the fan base all giddy.

This was after Unity trailer was shown at E3:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2zpm6q0.png

This was before Black Flag came out:

http://i58.tinypic.com/20u71py.jpg

Thats what I think too. I think the naysayers would like him after he has his story developed some more. Hence why a sequel is called for :p

The future of AC can be anything so anything is possible in the AC universe.

Darby mentioned in his Assassin Den interviews with Loomer.. I'll paraphrase: "We always have ways to return to characters.." something along those lines, that interview was done right after that infamous Reddit AMA.. Darby was referring to Connor..
In one of these interview parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-CEHSGcxs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-CEHSGcxs&feature=youtu.be)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkHHHxEcDJ8

--------

I didn't even see that. Darby, making comments and then making an interview to try and rectify his "painful" AMA session... Stop trolling!! :rolleyes:

I'm quite enjoying this run true of AC3.

Don't be ashamed! Enjoy it :D

steveeire
06-19-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm sure it's in the works. They just need time. Obviously, they can't let anyone know yet right?

If he was as popular as you guys seem to think, we would already have a sequel, this is a business afterall and yet we do not have one, yes he may turn up again as a supporting character he may even turn up in Unity, but the fact remains we don't have a sequel with him as the protagonist and I doubt we will as AC3 and him were not well received.

and I'm not saying this to provoke Conor fans or hate on Conor this is just reality.

Ahhhhhhh Catcha is driving me nuts.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Both Black Flag and Unity were in production before AC3's release I'm pretty sure..

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 05:17 PM
If he was as popular as you guys seem to think, we would already have a sequel, this is a business afterall and yet we do not have one, yes he may turn up again as a supporting character he may even turn up in Unity, but the fact remains we don't have a sequel with him as the protagonist and I doubt we will as AC3 and him were not well received.

and I'm not saying this to provoke Conor fans or hate on Conor this is just reality.

I understand, but Altair was an awesome character and what's his reason for not getting his own sequel? I'm sure we was as popular just as Ezio was.

Like I said, they just need time to build the right story for him, even if it takes a while. Which is why I won't be surprised if he doesnt show in Unity since Ubi stated his battles are in America, so maybe they just need another American story or whatever would make sense for his background.

And this:
Both Black Flag and Unity were in production before AC3's release I'm pretty sure..

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 05:17 PM

Besides, these "statements", although ambiguous, seemed to get everyone in the fan base all giddy.

This was after Unity trailer was shown at E3:

This was before Black Flag came out:

Thats what I think too. I think the naysayers would like him after he has his story developed some more. Hence why a sequel is called for :p

I didn't even see that. Darby, making comments and then making an interview to try and rectify his "painful" AMA session... Stop trolling!! :rolleyes:

Exactly! :)

Darby needs to stop trolling!

Games take years to plan and produce well, Ubisoft if they are creating a sequel for Connor they'd be making sure the sequel gives Connor's character justice! Connor deserves, that takes time & years to achieve.

steveeire
06-19-2014, 05:24 PM
I understand, but Altair was an awesome character and what's his reason for not getting his own sequel? I'm sure we was as popular just as Ezio was.

Like I said, they just need time to build the right story for him, even if it takes a while. Which is why I won't be surprised if he doesnt show in Unity since Ubi stated his battles are in America, so maybe they just need another American story or whatever would make sense for his background.

And this:

Altair is not as popular as Ezio and AC2 saved this franchise, besides that Altair had more game well at least one anyway that he was the protagonist.

Exactly! :)

Darby needs to stop trolling!

Games take years to plan and produce well, Ubisoft if they are creating a sequel for Connor they'd be making sure the sequel gives Connor's character justice! Connor deserves, that takes time & years to achieve.

pls ACB and ACR only took about a year to churn out, not to mention the other publishers with yearly releases, if AC3 had of been awesome, Ubisoft would have fast tracked a Conor sequel, and we would at least know it was coming.

JustPlainQuirky
06-19-2014, 05:25 PM
AC:Unity was in development before AC:1 was released. :rolleyes:

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 05:29 PM
I replayed AC3 last week and the pacing and stuff still sucked. Not to mention the "Run to objective, cutscene, walk a bit, cutscene".

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm actually not sure when Unity started development. I've heard that it's been in development for 2 years or so, which makes me feel like it started around or shortly after AC3's release, but one of the DevBlog's on the AC website tells a different story:
Max Spielberg began his career at Ubisoft nearly three years ago on Assassin’s Creed Unity. He hates cilantro, but loves his PlayStation Vita. His Corgi, Mochi, thinks Max spends too much time playing games and not enough time feeding him socks.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 05:34 PM
I'm actually not sure when Unity started development. I've heard that it's been in development for 2 years or so, which makes me feel like it started around or shortly after AC3's release, but one of the DevBlog's on the AC website tells a different story:

In that interview with that black dude who was all touchy feely the dev guy said 3-4 years

1:00 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb_sIlwYIhU

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 05:37 PM
I replayed AC3 last week and the pacing and stuff still sucked. Not to mention the "Run to objective, cutscene, walk a bit, cutscene".
Same mechanic happens in all AC games, they've always been cinematically driven.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Same mechanic happens in all AC games, they've always been cinematically driven.

Definitely not as much as AC3 at all. There's a reason its been called Cutscene Creed and replaying it made me realise

Jexx21
In that interview with that black dude who was all touchy feely the dev guy said 3-4 years

Thanks.

So yea, Black Flag and Unity have been in production since before AC3 released so thus not really the time to focus on making another Connor game. Unless that's what Comet is.

adventurewomen
Definitely not as much as AC3 at all. There's a reason its been called Cutscene Creed and replaying it made me realise
Disagree, all AC's have had around the same amount of cutscenes.

steveeire
06-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Some of the cutscenes in AC3 are hilarious, the mouths don't work so it looks like they are having telepathic conversations.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Disagree, all AC's have had around the same amount of cutscenes.

Disagree, just did a youtube search, AC3 has a crap load more

AC1 – 190 minutes
AC2 – 225 minutes
ACB – 136 minutes
ACR - 180 minutes
AC3 – 280 minutes
AC4 – 165 minutes

Thats nearly an hour more than AC2. And 4.6 hours in total.

And from lowest to highest

ACB – 136 minutes
AC4 – 165 minutes
ACR - 180 minutes
AC1 – 190 minutes
AC2 – 225 minutes
AC3 – 280 minutes

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 05:48 PM

Wow, that explains a lot. Then God knows how long Comet will have been in development.

Some of the cutscenes in AC3 are hilarious, the mouths don't work so it looks like they are having telepathic conversations.

I have to agree with this to some degree. XD

Disagree, just did a youtube search, AC3 has a crap load more

AC1 – 190 minutes
AC2 – 225 minutes
ACB – 136 minutes
ACR - 180 minutes
AC3 – 280 minutes
AC4 – 165 minutes

Thats nearly an hour more than AC2. And 4.6 hours in total.

And from lowest to highest

ACB – 136 minutes
AC4 – 165 minutes
ACR - 180 minutes
AC1 – 190 minutes
AC2 – 225 minutes
AC3 – 280 minutes

I don't mind the cutscenes. Any game is bound to have something tell a story I guess

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Pac you mentioned that you've played AC3 like 10 times previously now you must have played AC3 like 11 or 12 times now :p

You're trippin

& Ain't nobody got time to search for lengths of cutscenes on youtube.. xD

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 05:50 PM
I I don't mind the cutscenes. Any game is bound to have something tell a story I guess

I do when it doesn't let you actually PLAY.

Maybe play AC3 again, you will will notice the walk, cutscene walk thing.

Pac you mentioned that you've played AC3 like 10 times previously now you must have played AC3 like 11 or 12 times now :p

You're trippin

That has nothing to do with the evidence I just gave you about cutscene length... cause I am right about it.

And I explained this to Shahk in another thread.

I always play AC games a few times at launch, probably about 5-6 times to make sure I get all the story out of the game, understand things better. The other 5-6 times are when I do AC playthroughs, the whole saga.

steveeire
06-19-2014, 05:55 PM
That has nothing to do with the evidence I just gave you about cutscene length... cause I am right about it.

I always play AC games a few times at launch, probably about 5-6 times to make sure I get all the story out of the game, understand things better. The other 5-6 times are when I do AC playthroughs, the whole saga.

I have also played it quite a few times, I'm playing it RIGHT now, as much as I dislike it its still part of the Assassins Creed story, besides AC4 makes up for it.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 05:55 PM

That post wasn't referring to your post on cutscnes that's in general.

Like I said Ain't nobody got time to search for lengths on cutscenes xD.. I've got things to do, was speaking on perspective about lengths of cutscenes.

Only right since you searched for lengths of each AC games total cutscenes..

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 05:57 PM

Like I said Ain't nobody got time to search for lengths on cutscenes xD.. I've got things to do, was speaking on perspective about lengths of cutscenes.

Of course Im "only right" you said they were similar and they aren't. All you have to do is google " How many cutscenes in *insert game name*", it took me 1 minute tops to get that info.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Of course Im "only right" you said they were similar and they aren't. All you have to do is google " How many cutscenes in *insert game name*", it took me 1 minute tops to get that info.
:rolleyes:
You actually don;t need to explain that..

It was my perspective/opinion on all the cutscenes of AC games, I've played through all AC games many times.

steveeire
06-19-2014, 06:00 PM

Its not that hard to find the lengths of cutscenes just check the time on this youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0Tx_L8MSg

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Its not that hard to find the lengths of cutscenes just check the time on this youtube link.
[video=youtube;Hn0Tx_L8MSg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0Tx_L8MSg
I know that, Pac already said he didn't need to and you also didn't need to explain.. :rolleyes:

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 06:04 PM
I do when it doesn't let you actually PLAY.

Maybe play AC3 again, you will will notice the walk, cutscene walk thing.

I have noticed that before, but hey what can I do? Just watch, right? :p

steveeire
06-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Well sorry then, i was only trying to help.

*slams door

Megas_Doux
06-19-2014, 06:09 PM
I like Connor, but facts are facts:

If anyone checks Assassin´s Creed official facebook and youtube two of the biggest platforms, hell even the wikia, Connor is disliked WAY more than any other assassin. When both AC IV and Unity where announced, the web was filled with articles about what Ubi should do in order to overcome AC III´s disappointment, and MOST of them concluded as their number one "must", to craft "a better" protagonist than him, with most of the comments agreeing. And well, money talks....

I want to see him back may be in Unity as consolidated Master Assassin,but after that, good bye Connor, and thank very much!!!!! It is time for other places and eras.......

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 06:15 PM
I like Connor, but facts are facts:

If anyone checks Assassin´s Creed official facebook and youtube two of the biggest platforms, hell even the wikia, Connor is disliked WAY more than any other assassin. When both AC IV and Unity where announced, the web was filled with articles about what Ubi should do in order to overcome AC III´s disappointment, and MOST of them concluded as their number one "must", to craft "a better" protagonist than him, with most of the comments agreeing. And well, money talks....

I want to see him back may be in Unity as consolidated Master Assassin,but after that, good bye Connor, and thank very much!!!!! It is time for other places and eras.......

Oh ye of little faith. You don't believe :rolleyes:

Youtube comments are major trolls sometimes so I don't trust their "judgment" on things such as this, not to mention to the ridiculous Twitter comments.

And Ubi knows exactly what to do in order to stop this nonsense and ambiguity of his character. I'm sure people will like him more as he actually matured and we never got to see that... yet.

I think he is just the most "controversial" character due to the mixed opinions.

And even if money talks, if they do come out with a Connor sequel, I can bet my life that the haters will buy it anyway.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 06:23 PM
I think arguing over whether he has more people who dislike him or more people who like him is stupid and rather you should be coming up with ideas for how to make a game with Connor a great game.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 06:39 PM
I think arguing over whether he has more people who dislike him or more people who like him is stupid and rather you should be coming up with ideas for how to make a game with Connor a great game.

Very true, but I don't think Ubi would listen. I already thought up plenty of ideas for his sequel, but I can't write very well, so it might just fall on deaf ears.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't mind another Connor game.

I said this about a week ago during my playthrough and my problem with the game, at least I don't think is with Connor.

It's with the story, mission design, 100% sync objectives, crappy side quests, too much open land, stupid viewpoint structure, just EVERYTHING sucked in that game that made it not enjoyable for me.

I think if they got a better team to do a Connor game, like Ashraf for example, it could actually be good.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't mind another Connor game.

I said this about a week ago during my playthrough and my problem with the game, at least I don't think is with Connor.

It's with the story, mission design, 100% sync objectives, crappy side quests, too much open land, stupid viewpoint structure, just EVERYTHING sucked in that game that made it not enjoyable for me.

I think if they got a better team to do a Connor game, like Ashraf for example, it could actually be good.

I don't think he would work on it because he was the one that said he didn't want to work on the time period Connor was in =/

But I do agree that maybe another team could make it a better game, if only I knew who lol

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Ashraf isn't a team, he's a person.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Ashraf isn't a team, he's a person.

you know what he meant lol him and his team

Megas_Doux
06-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Connor was the biggest casualty of a strange pacing, AWFUL mission deisgn and TOO MUCH hype.....

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Ashraf doesn't have a specific team he just works with the team assigned to him. For example, there are guys that worked on AC3, AC4, and AC Unity.

Besides, I actually think that AC3 is pretty damn good in base mechanics, it just felt like they didn't have enough time to finish everything properly.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Connor was the biggest casualty of a strange pacing, AWFUL mission deisgn and TOO MUCH hype.....

Ain't it the sad truth.

Ashraf doesn't have a specific team he just works with the team assigned to him. For example, there are guys that worked on AC3, AC4, and AC Unity.

Besides, I actually think that AC3 is pretty damn good in base mechanics, it just felt like they didn't have enough time to finish everything properly.

Oh I see. Still, they should only assign projects to those who want to work on them, not force.

And yes, I believe they said at one time that the game was rushed, hence the glitches and such, and this was only due because of the time the world was going to end at a certain time in-game or something like that... Maybe they should have changed that? But that probably wouldve been complicated to change that little detail to fit the rest of the storyboard.

Besides, I'd rather have a game delayed with almost no glitches than a rushed game filled with them.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 07:47 PM

Oh yeah I just realized, you've had plenty of ideas mentioned in the thread you created a while back, along with some other people's suggestions:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/783566-You-know-what-Do-YOU-want-another-Connor-game-Forums

GunnerGalactico
06-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Oh I see. Still, they should only assign projects to those who want to work on them, not force.

And yes, I believe they said at one time that the game was rushed, hence the glitches and such, and this was only due because of the time the world was going to end at a certain time in-game or something like that... Maybe they should have changed that? But that probably wouldve been complicated to change that little detail to fit the rest of the storyboard.

Besides, I'd rather have a game delayed with almost no glitches than a rushed game filled with them.

I thought so the game was rushed, if they took the time to address those issues, added the content they promised to deliver and structured out the missions better... AC3 could've lived up to it's hype and would've been one masterpiece of a game. What also killed the storyline in the game wasn't just the poorly written story, it was the deleted scenes and cut dialogue that proved very detrimental to the finished game. It's things like that, that make me wish that AC wasn't an annual title.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 08:07 PM
I don't think he would work on it because he was the one that said he didn't want to work on the time period Connor was in =/

But I do agree that maybe another team could make it a better game, if only I knew who lol

I basically was using him as a good example of someone who did AC some justice :P

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Oh ye of little faith. You don't believe :rolleyes:

Youtube comments are major trolls sometimes so I don't trust their "judgment" on things such as this, not to mention to the ridiculous Twitter comments.

And Ubi knows exactly what to do in order to stop this nonsense and ambiguity of his character. I'm sure people will like him more as he actually matured and we never got to see that... yet.

I think he is just the most "controversial" character due to the mixed opinions.

And even if money talks, if they do come out with a Connor sequel, I can bet my life that the haters will buy it anyway.

Agreed! :)

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 08:35 PM
I basically was using him as a good example of someone who did AC some justice :P

I see. Which game was he the main writer on?

EDIT: Never mind, he was the game director of Black Flag. And confirmed on his Twitter that he's not working on Unity.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Yes Connor was flawed he was never meant to be perfect, but honestly he represented our people with respect and honour so for that I respectfully disagree with your statement.

Hans684
06-19-2014, 08:45 PM

By the Templars at Masyaf before his hanging, it's not a tradition away to jail someone but a jail is a jail no matter who locked them in and where it is.

GunnerGalactico
06-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Yes Connor was flawed he was never meant to be perfect, but honestly he represented our people with respect and honour so for that I respectfully disagree with your statement.

I agree. Connor was a good character, he was meant to be naïve and meant to think he could carry the "world's problems on his shoulders". He had some of the most powerful lines and dialogue, the game unfortunately didn't compliment him well.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 08:54 PM
I see. Which game was he the main writer on?

EDIT: Never mind, he was the game director of Black Flag. And confirmed on his Twitter that he's not working on Unity.

Of course he isn't working on Unity...

I just think AC3 was flawed not cause of Connor necessarily but the dev team was horrendous.

Also Noah is a bad VA but I am sure he will do better.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 09:01 PM

I just think AC3 was flawed not cause of Connor necessarily but the dev team was horrendous.

Noah says he expects an apology when he returns.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 09:06 PM
I agree. Connor was a good character, he was meant to be naïve and meant think he could carry the "world's problems on his shoulders". He had some of the most powerful lines and dialogue, the game unfortunately didn't compliment him well.

Exactly.

I'll admit the voice acting was a little off in some parts, but he's not the only VA to have their "awkward" moments. I'm sure Troy Baker and Nolan North have had their mistakes as well lol

Noah says he expects an apology when he returns.

This made me lolz :D

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 09:09 PM

funny...
probably not. Wouldn't surprised me if most of the dev team on AC3 also worked on most of the other games.

But whatever >.>

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 09:09 PM
This made me lolz :D

One of a few times when I said.. huh maybe Connor isn't so bad after all. The others being the Homestead missions.

I-Like-Pie45
06-19-2014, 09:10 PM
noah isn't the voice actor Meow has ever heard

just boot up a Bethesda RPG if you wish to hear worse

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 09:14 PM
funny...
probably not. Wouldn't surprised me if most of the dev team on AC3 also worked on most of the other games.

But whatever >.>

Well they sucked at everything so who cares.

marvelfannumber
06-19-2014, 09:15 PM
He's not perfect, Connor is a bad character.

*flame shield prepared*

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 09:51 PM
I agree. Connor was a good character, he was meant to be naïve and meant think he could carry the "world's problems on his shoulders". He had some of the most powerful lines and dialogue, the game unfortunately didn't compliment him well.
Agreed! Well said! :)

No need to criticise acting skill, Noah is a fantastic actor who has spent years learning and working on his craft, spoke our language well.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Agreed! Well said! :)

No need to criticise acting skill, Noah is a fantastic actor who has spent years learning and working on his craft, spoke our language well.

I don't care if he spoke your language well. He spoke English so dull.

TheHumanTowel
06-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Why can you say he's a fantastic actor but he can't say he's a bad actor?

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Why can you say he's a fantastic actor but he can't say he's a bad actor?

It seems to be a common theme with her and Connor.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 10:02 PM

She will always defend it even though its evident the game had so many flaws.

Pacing
Story
Mission Design
100% Sync Objectives
The stupid Viewpoint thing
Too much empty space
The underground (Seriously what)
The side missions (like the collect 5 milk bottles, 4 silk etc etc, took more money to make than the return you get)
The Voice Acting of Noah

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Did you really have to say that? I feel offended.

Maybe you're unaware of this I am Native American - Mohawk.. the reason why I support Connor so much is the fact that he represents Native Americans the right way, in the media we are so underrepresented and when we are shown in films we are stereotyped and Ubisoft made sure to represent our cultures and traditions respectfully and with honour. This is why I am passionate about what Connor means to representing our culture and traditions w/ honour.

She will always defend it even though its evident the game had so many flaws.
Pacing
Story
Mission Design
100% Sync Objectives
The stupid Viewpoint thing
Too much empty space
The underground (Seriously what)
The side missions (like the collect 5 milk bottles, 4 silk etc etc, took more money to make than the return you get)
The Voice Acting of Noah
Everyone is allowed their favourite AC game, I have my reasons as I have explained why just please respect that.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 10:12 PM
[FONT=Arial]Everyone is allowed their favourite AC game, I have my reasons as I have explained why just please respect that.

I don't have anything against you liking Connor cause hes Native like you and I never showed any sign of disrespect.

But you cannot deny the game is seriously flawed in all those aspects.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Did you really have to say that? I feel offended.

Maybe you're unaware of this I am Native American - Mohawk.. the reason why I support Connor so much is the fact that he represents Native Americans the right way, in the media we are so underrepresented and when we are shown in films we are stereotyped and Ubisoft made sure to represent our cultures and traditions respectfully and with honour. This is why I am passionate about what Connor means to representing our culture and traditions w/ honour.

.... My mother is half Mohawk... I am a quarter Mohawk, just enough to be considered properly Native American. I don't care about them representing me, I only care about good characters.

This is why we berate the tumblr feminists, because they would praise terrible characters just cause they represent them.

I'm also part French, I don't care that Arno will be representing me, all I care about is that he's a good character.

Oh and yes I did have to say it, I will not let anyone get away with emotional bias in debates. When you enter a debate try to leave your emotion and bias at the door, they serve no purpose other than to make you look bad. My cuss filled posts are a good example.

A good character is subjective BUT it's clear you let this bias get in the way when someone makes an opinion you don't like. Stop it.

Shahkulu101
06-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Why don't your respect other peoples opinions then?

And being native like Connor does not justify hypocrisy and the demeaning of all people who either don't like Connor, or prefer another protagonist.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 10:20 PM
I don't have anything against you liking Connor cause hes Native like you and I never showed any sign of disrespect.

But you cannot deny the game is seriously flawed in all those aspects.
I know you have never shown any sign of disrespect.

I just tend to look more at the positives because even though the game may have been flawed there were moments that were amazing.

.... My mother is half Mohawk... I am a quarter Mohawk, just enough to be considered properly Native American. I don't care about them representing me, I only care about good characters.

This is why we berate the tumblr feminists, because they would praise terrible characters just cause they don't represent them.

I'm also part French, I don't care that Arno will be representing me, all I care about is that he's a good character.

Oh and yes I did have to say it, I will not let anyone get away with emotional bias in debates. When you enter a debate try to leave your emotion and bias at the door, they serve no purpose other than to make you look bad. My cuss filled posts are a good example.
Nice to know that you're quarter Mohawk.. I'm half Mohawk my father instilled how important our culture and traditions are, I guess I have a different perspective on this compared to you.

I'll leave the emotional bias out then if it really annoys you. ;(

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 10:22 PM

And being native like Connor does not justify hypocrisy and the demeaning of all people who either don't like Connor, or prefer another protagonist.

He never showed any disrespect. Stop being such a girl

Shahkulu101
06-19-2014, 10:23 PM
He never showed any disrespect. Stop being such a girl

This was a direct response to adventurewomen you absolute tool.

Can't you tell from the second sentence? Read before you insult me...

I-Like-Pie45
06-19-2014, 10:23 PM

yes it does

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 10:25 PM
This was a direct response to adventurewomen you absolute tool.

Can't you tell from the second sentence? Read before you insult me...

I've been drinking.. sorry hahaha

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 10:26 PM

I respect peoples opinions, and I apologize if it's not coming across as that - I truly mean the upmost respect when I respond to peoples posts.

You're right it doesn't justify, I'm just being too emotional about this.. I shouldn't put so much energy into these kind of Connor debates.

Shahkulu101
06-19-2014, 10:30 PM
I respect peoples opinions, and I apologise if it's not coming across as that - I truly mean the upmost respect when I respond to peoples posts.

You're right it doesn't justify, I'm just being too emotional about this.. I shouldn't put so much energy into these kind of Connor debates.

Yes, nothing wrong with debating his character by any means but I think it's important to accept that Connor will always have his detractors and that all Connor criticism does not stem from a lack of understanding.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Nice to know that you're quarter Mohawk.. I'm half Mohawk my father instilled how important our culture and traditions are, I guess I have a different perspective on this compared to you.

I'll leave the emotional bias out then if it really annoys you. ;(

It's less about it being annoying and more about it just not being a solid basis for arguments.

I've been drinking.. sorry hahaha

Bah, I can drink half a bottle of rum and still type coherently... ableit it takes me longer to spell correctly as I keep screwing up but yeah lol.

Hold dat liquor better!

GunnerGalactico
06-19-2014, 10:34 PM
I suppose everyone's opinions differ, I think Connor was a good character, not the best though... AC3 was a poor game and I'm not being biased about my opinions.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just airing my view... that's all.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 10:35 PM
I suppose everyone's opinions differ, I think Connor was a good character, not the best though... AC3 was a poor game and I'm not being biased about my opinions.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just airing my view... that's all.

Nobody's gonna get you for that, it's the assertions that are the problem.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 10:37 PM

The problem wasn't necessarily Connor imo but how the game was designed as a whole. Though Noahs VA was really bad and boring.

adventurewomen
06-19-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes, nothing wrong with debating his character by any means but I think it's important to accept that Connor will always have his detractors and that all Connor criticism does not stem from a lack of understanding.
Yeah thats very true, will keep that in mind.

GunnerGalactico
06-19-2014, 10:42 PM
The problem wasn't necessarily Connor imo but how the game was designed as a whole. Though Noahs VA was really bad and boring.

And I agree with you. I sort of pointed that out.

Here's my earlier post in response to Humble_Assassin

I thought so the game was rushed, if they took the time to address those issues, added the content they promised to deliver and structured out the missions better... AC3 could've lived up to it's hype and would've been one masterpiece of a game. What also killed the storyline in the game wasn't just the poorly written story, it was the deleted scenes and cut dialogue that proved very detrimental to the finished game. It's things like that, that make me wish that AC wasn't an annual title.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 10:46 PM

Very true. The thing that kind of annoys me is that there are some people that judge him based on the game's flaws itself, when that should not the case. No one should judge a character based on the glitches/poor mission design/etc. because I think that if the game was near perfect, they still would have the opinions about him. Like what pac said:

Shahkulu101
06-19-2014, 10:47 PM
I can agree that throughout the majority of the game Noah seemed almost bored. However, at times I think Connor's voice is fantastic.

I think the time he shoots Charles Lee is so awesomely powerful. The way he screams "Because no one else will!" as if to signify all the effort he's went through to try and achieve his goals. To show that nothing will stop his tenacity and willingness to keep going. One of the main reasons I love Connor.

I think there's other times when his monotone voice actually works well, when he makes coldly blunt and arrogant statements. "I will not die today, the same cannot be said for you." It's just awesome how sure Connor is of this. He's not desperately trying to convince himself he's immortal and melodramatically screaming it in a fit of madness, he just so certain about it. The quietness and clarity in his voice using such powerful words just makes him sound so badass

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 10:52 PM
I can agree that throughout the majority of the game Noah seemed almost bored. However, at times I think Connor's voice is fantastic.

I think the time he shoots Charles Lee is so awesomely powerful. The way he screams "Because no one else will!" as if to signify all the effort he's went through to try and achieve his goals. To show that nothing will stop his tenacity and willingness to keep going. One of the main reasons I love Connor.

I think there's other times when his monotone voice actually works well, when he makes coldly blunt and arrogant statements. "I will not die today, the same cannot be said for you." It's just awesome how sure Connor is of this. He's not desperately trying to convince himself he's immortal and melodramatically screaming it in a fit of madness, he just so certain about it. The quietness and clarity in his voice using such powerful words just makes him sound so badass

Awesomely said! And I love those lives :D

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Awesomely said! And I love those lives :D

Connor - "Because no one else will!"

*Shoots Charles Lee*

Charles - "But... but Connor. I love you, I always have..."

Connor - "Lee?!!!!"

*Charles stumbles away with aid of henchmen*

Connor - "Lee! Come back! GIVE ME LEE!"

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Connor - "Because no one else will!"

*Shoots Charles Lee*

Charles - "But... but Connor. I love you, I always have..."

Connor - "Lee?!!!!"

*Charles stumbles away with aid of henchmen*

Connor - "Lee! Come back! GIVE ME LEE!"

WTF Lol

GunnerGalactico
06-19-2014, 11:05 PM

I completely agree. Connor's voice sounded good when he delivered powerful, dramatic lines... especially when he was enraged. But I have to say, there were times when he sounded robotic. I don't think it was the monotone voice that made Connor sound boring... it was the lack of contractions in his speech, for example instead of saying words like: shouldn't, wouldn't and couldn't... Connor would say: should not, would not and could not. That made him sound like he was talking very slowly. There was a reason though, English was not Connor's first language.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 11:05 PM
I actually think that Noah's VA was very good. Yes, it was monotone, but I believe that's part of Connor's character.

As for the game itself, I actually thought that it's base mechanics were great but that their implementation in the game were lackluster. The new stealth mechanics were great, however guard detection was wonky and thus stealth wasn't very enjoyable. Mission design in the main missions were also very flawed, except for the Johnson and Pitcairn assassination missions, which were pretty great. The Homestead, Naval, and Liberation side missions were great in my book, however the rest of the side missions were unsatisfactory. The parkour was good, love all the new animations and such, especially tree climbing and mountain climbing. The hunting was good, but it should have been expanded on more and not as simple. The crafting either shouldn't have been there or should have been more simple.

AC4 fixed a majority of AC3's problems but it also added new issues related to progression that I wasn't fond of.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 11:10 PM
I actually think that Noah's VA was very good. Yes, it was monotone, but I believe that's part of Connor's character.

It was a poor decision

SixKeys
06-19-2014, 11:12 PM
I completely agree. Connor's voice sounded good when he delivered powerful, dramatic lines... especially when he was enraged. But I have to say, there were times when he sounded robotic. I don't think it was the monotone voice that made Connor sound boring... it was the lack of contractions in his speech, for example instead of saying words like: shouldn't, wouldn't and couldn't... Connor would say: should not, would not and could not. That made him sound like he was talking very slowly. There was a reason though, English was not Connor's first language.

Ezio didn't use contractions either and he sounded fine.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 11:12 PM
maybe to you

I liked it.

I-Like-Pie45
06-19-2014, 11:15 PM
Meow wonder what happen to OP

Kaschra
06-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Agreed, Connor sounded quite good when he was angry and delivered powerful lines, but otherwise... no thanks. His voice really made me cringe a few times :/
Especially during the homestead missions.
"What do you…women.. like? In terms of gifts?" still haunts me lol

Connor would say: should not, would not and could not. That made him sound like he was talking very slowly. There was a reason though, English was not Connor's first language.
Eh... I don't really get it.
I don't see any reason why he couldn't use "shouldn't", "couldn't" and "don't" even though English was not his native language.
I mean, what does that have to do with anything?

Shahkulu101
06-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Agreed, Connor sounded quite good when he was angry and delivered powerful lines, but otherwise... no thanks. His voice really made me cringe a few times :/

I don't see any reason why he couldn't use "shouldn't", "couldn't" and "don't" even though English was not his native language.

Well his reasons for that was that he learned English by the book as a foreigner meaning he spoke the language completely formally as opposed to be raised with the English language and being familiar with colloquialisms. I think it's a good reason, but it wasn't that that bothered me really. More his voice as a whole.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 11:36 PM

Maybe this will shed some light on that?:

Voice actor Noah Watts based Connor's voice on actor Wes Studi's portrayal of Magua in the 1992 film of The Last of the Mohicans, particularly his matter-of-fact delivery of the line "When the Grey Hair is dead, Magua will eat his heart." Watts also chose to emphasize the fact that English was the character's second language by avoiding the use of contractions early in the story

And what Shahk said as well.

I-Like-Pie45
06-19-2014, 11:38 PM
thats not an excuse

Kaschra
06-19-2014, 11:49 PM
Well his reasons for that was that he learned English by the book as a foreigner meaning he spoke the language completely formally as opposed to be raised with the English language and being familiar with colloquialisms. I think it's a good reason, but it wasn't that that bothered me really. More his voice as a whole.

Well it was different for me then. "Don't", "can't" and all these contractions belonged to the first things I learned during my English lessons ^^
I just checked, and Ziio uses "don't", and she was the one who taught Connor English after all. Hm.

Watts also chose to emphasize the fact that English was the character's second language by avoiding the use of contractions early in the story
Wait a sec... only early in the story? Ah, I'm too lazy to check that now lol

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 11:52 PM
Wait a sec... only early in the story? Ah, I'm too lazy to check that now lol

Lol, he did use some contractions later on in the story, but he barely used them.

Shahkulu101
06-19-2014, 11:58 PM
I actually drew the conclusion that Connor spoke formally like that because he had learned English as his second language. I think that was mainly because in my experience of doing German at school, we were always taught the exact words, phrases and grammar, as you should be of course. And I always thought "I doubt they speak as formal as that all the time - I'm going to sound so boring of I ever visit Germany."

I guess it's a matter of perspectives, I can understand Noah's reasoning for not using contradictions.

Kaschra
06-20-2014, 12:11 AM
"I doubt they speak as formal as that all the time - I'm going to sound so boring of I ever visit Germany."
Yeah, that's pretty likely :P

adventurewomen
06-20-2014, 12:58 AM
I agree with the powerful angry lines, he said were amazing!

I also love the calm tone of Connor's voice, it's soothing <3

DaftPunk___
06-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Woah I went to bed, got up, did some things and then hopped on and I see around 10 pages added in this okai wow. xD

I don't see why there is so many people saying, "Just because I hate Connor does not mean I like Ezio more." Sure, it was pointed out in the rant but that's pretty much it...
And even then, I still have friends today dissing Connor all because he's too 'dull and bland.'
My friends then say 'Why did Ezio have to die?'

People die in games, get over it. Ezio had three whole games, if he had more wouldn't you get slightly bored?

I agree with the powerful angry lines, he said were amazing!

I also love the calm tone of Connor's voice, it's soothing <3

I agree with you so much.
Connor's voice was really great.
If you paid attention you would hear Connor's 'happy' voice just a little, and when I did get to hear it my heart melted haha~

Sesheenku
06-20-2014, 01:39 AM
Woah I went to bed, got up, did some things and then hopped on and I see around 10 pages added in this okai wow. xD

I don't see why there is so many people saying, "Just because I hate Connor does not mean I like Ezio more." Sure, it was pointed out in the rant but that's pretty much it...
And even then, I still have friends today dissing Connor all because he's too 'dull and bland.'
My friends then say 'Why did Ezio have to die?'

People die in games, get over it. Ezio had three whole games, if he had more wouldn't you get slightly bored?

I gave plenty of reasons neither of which were dull nor bland. Also I don't care that Ezio is dead.

DumbGamerTag94
06-20-2014, 01:40 AM
It was nearly two years ago.........and we now have 2 completely different settings since then so its not like a sequel is right upon us or even seeming likely anymore(since it seems comet doesn't exist)......why are we still discussing AC3??????? Aren't these arguments fairly irrelevant at this point?

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-20-2014, 02:08 AM
It was nearly two years ago.........and we now have 2 completely different settings since then so its not like a sequel is right upon us or even seeming likely anymore(since it seems comet doesn't exist)......why are we still discussing AC3??????? Aren't these arguments fairly irrelevant at this point?

Because people are not giving up hope just yet due to Ubi's ambiguity! Comet is out there. We just have to ..... ugh... wait and see lol

adventurewomen
06-20-2014, 02:19 AM
I agree with you so much.
Connor's voice was really great.
If you paid attention you would hear Connor's 'happy' voice just a little, and when I did get to hear it my heart melted haha~
I agree, and I did notice and my heart also melted, I love the quality in Noah's voice for Connor.

I-Like-Pie45
06-20-2014, 02:39 AM
Because people are not giving up hope just yet due to Ubi's ambiguity! Comet is out there. We just have to ..... ugh... wait and see lol

there's no future no past

abandon hope all ye who read this

Sesheenku
06-20-2014, 02:45 AM
there's no future no past

abandon hope all ye who read this

Meow is so deep.

The future doesn't exist because tomorrow the future is the present and then the past is forgotten.

DaftPunk___
06-20-2014, 05:13 AM
Not really, I mean there are rumours he is in ACU... Though it's probably not true.

Connor's story may have ended 2 games ago, but you never know when you'll see an advertisement saying:
"Some of you know him as Connor.
Some of you know him as Ratonhnhaké:ton.
But, we all know him as the Native-born Assassin.
And his sequel, starts now.

I don't know, I'd probably be a horrible advertiser haha.

AssassinHMS
06-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Meow is so deep.

The future doesn't exist because tomorrow the future is the present and then the past is forgotten.

Well, time is just a concept.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-20-2014, 05:25 AM
Not really, I mean there are rumours he is in ACU... Though it's probably not true.

Connor's story may have ended 2 games ago, but you never know when you'll see an advertisement saying:
"Some of you know him as Connor.
Some of you know him as Ratonhnhaké:ton.
But, we all know him as the Native-born Assassin.
And his sequel, starts now.

I don't know, I'd probably be a horrible advertiser haha.

I doubt they'll be that blunt about it lol. Ubi is pretty good at keeping things under wraps, but nice way of looking at it though :p

Sesheenku
06-20-2014, 05:31 AM
Well, time is just a concept.

We serve no wine before its time! Your life is but a collection of concepts!

Reality is an illusion that one can either submit to or transcend!

AssassinHMS
06-20-2014, 05:40 AM
We serve no wine before its time! Your life is but a collection of concepts!

Reality is an illusion that one can either submit to or transcend!

What is it to transcend?

Sesheenku
06-20-2014, 05:50 AM
What is it to transcend?

To recognize nothing is true, and everything is permitted. That laws arise, not from divinity, but reason. I understand now that our creed does not command us to be free; it commands us to be wise.

DaftPunk___
06-20-2014, 05:57 AM
I doubt they'll be that blunt about it lol. Ubi is pretty good at keeping things under wraps, but nice way of looking at it though :p

Yes yes I know hah. xD
But all I'm sayin' is... You never know when he'll get another game.

It's possible!
Have faith.

It's like Mario and other games. They start a game and then do another few games and then make a sequel to the game they made pervious.

Sesheenku
06-20-2014, 06:00 AM
Yes yes I know hah. xD
But all I'm sayin' is... You never know when he'll get another game.

It's possible!
Have faith.

It's like Mario and other games They start a game and then do another few games and then make a sequel to the game they made pervious.

Nintendo does that a lot though, Pokemon too except with remakes rather than sequels.

AssassinHMS
06-20-2014, 06:44 AM
To recognize nothing is true, and everything is permitted. That laws arise, not from divinity, but reason. I understand now that our creed does not command us to be free; it commands us to be wise.

Yes, the only thing I still don't understand, is why they care. Why fight and die for such philosophies? People will always find and create barriers for others or for themselves. I suppose this is one of those wars where the purpose is to keep fighting. Still, being an Assassin seems quite the curse.

GunnerGalactico
06-20-2014, 11:12 AM

I was pointing out that the lack of contradictions in Connor's speech made him sound boring at times... other than that, his monotoned voice sounded good when he was speaking calmly and it suited him. That's all.

roostersrule2
06-20-2014, 12:36 PM
I think, we all think Connor was a nice idea, but, not pointin any fingers, he could of been done better.

Legendz54
06-20-2014, 12:51 PM
AC3 as a whole could have been done better but to me it delivered its promise of a fresh experience and a fresh character.

GunnerGalactico
06-20-2014, 03:41 PM
AC3 as a whole could have been done better but to me it delivered its promise of a fresh experience and a fresh character.

That's what I've been saying time and time again... and so has everyone else.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-20-2014, 03:46 PM

Agreed.