PDA

View Full Version : Oh that man out of Assassins Creed !

MasterAssasin84
04-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Is it me or does Assassins Creed create a History Syllabus that far exceeds any structured school lesson !

The other day my young cousin and his friends was in a lesson and the teacher asked them who Leonardo Davinci was and what was there response " oh that man Assassins Creed ! " LMFAO i mean how funny is that ! Assassins Creed certainly lifts the lid on historical events and characters and this proves that video games are infact good for children.

Q1RSTU
04-10-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure if it's exactly a good thing if after playing AC the only thing they know about Da Vinci is "he's a guy in Assassin's Creed". And everyone knows about Da Vinci at least as much as his name anyways, so I wouldn't say AC has exactly embraced your cousins knowledge. :)

UrDeviant1
04-10-2013, 08:48 PM
"I once gave Da Vinci a bro hug" No one besides gamers can say that ;)

AntiChrist7
04-10-2013, 08:58 PM
that worries me deeply. Surely maciavelli and da vinci should be famous enough on their own

Il Principe is a very good read

silvermercy
04-10-2013, 08:58 PM
I knew Da Vinci since I was about 6 or 7. But from books in our family library.
Video games are good when they help you expand on existing knowledge.

JamJar502
04-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Funnily enough the AC games (AC 2 in particular) would make me want to go and do independent research on the events - like the pazzi conspiracy. Mainly due to my school/s not covering those subjects.

ze_topazio
04-10-2013, 11:51 PM
that worries me deeply. Surely Machiavelli and Da vinci should be famous enough on their own

Il Principe is a very good read

Not just those two, Rodrigo Borgia is the most infamous Pope ever and up to a certain point, Lorenzo de Medici, he's a pretty famous man from the renaissance.

Zafar1981
04-11-2013, 06:54 AM
I only play assassin creed because of its relation with history. I don't know how much accurate they r with the history but they are pretty close to it. I don't know what is renaissance era but after playing the game and then reading about the era i find the game much closer to the real history. And i think if violence was not the issue then this game would be in the history's course outline.

poptartz20
04-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Haha... well there once was a time where somebody would have said Leonardo Da Vinci Is the Blue Ninja Turtle.

Oh how times have changed.

#90skid

Yeah I used a semi lame hashtag in a thread. I know it's not twitter. What cha gonna do bout it? lol!

jayjay275
04-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Assassin's Creed is educational about Italian or even European history, which is good.
However, I wouldn't say much games today are at all educational.

jayjay275
04-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Haha... well there once was a time where somebody would have said Leonardo Da Vinci Is the Blue Ninja Turtle.

Oh how times have changed.

#90skid

Yeah I used a semi lame hashtag in a thread. I know it's not twitter. What cha gonna do bout it? lol!

Going to have to #dealwithit from your dear Adam Orth.
(Hope you know what I am relating it to....)

MasterAssasin84
04-11-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure if it's exactly a good thing if after playing AC the only thing they know about Da Vinci is "he's a guy in Assassin's Creed". And everyone knows about Da Vinci at least as much as his name anyways, so I wouldn't say AC has exactly embraced your cousins knowledge. :)

The point is dont you think its funny how through the eyes of a young child that He is instantly recognisable through a video game rather than a historical figure lol !!

poptartz20
04-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Going to have to #dealwithit from your dear Adam Orth.
(Hope you know what I am relating it to....)

Hahah! Yes! That's awesome. You have just become my new friend on here... Sorry you had no choice in this matter! :D

#clever #endofxbox!?

lothario-da-be
04-11-2013, 10:15 AM
There is something wrong with you if you only know Leonardo from ac.

MasterAssasin84
04-11-2013, 10:16 AM
There is something wrong with you if you only know Leonardo from ac.

What a young Child ?

We are talking about a child of 7 here

jayjay275
04-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Hahah! Yes! That's awesome. You have just become my new friend on here... Sorry you had no choice in this matter! :D

#clever #endofxbox!?

Every device has always on internet-connection. #dealwithit. :P

AjinkyaParuleka
04-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Addiction to Gaming is way better than addiction to drugs and other ****.
1.Gaming doesn't makes a person insane or violent.
2.Gaming Addiction makes the person to ignore all other pleasures in the universe.
3.Gaming can expand a person's knowledge about history,military,how government works,and science.
4.History is better understood if you play it.
Oh and yeah those turtles in ninja turtles got the name of famous artist during Leo's time...Leonardo,Michael Angelo,Raphael and Donato,I still remember them :D.

ze_topazio
04-11-2013, 12:16 PM
What are you talking about? everybody knows gamers are terrorists in the making.

Q1RSTU
04-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Addiction to Gaming is way better than addiction to drugs and other ****.
1.Gaming doesn't makes a person insane or violent.
2.Gaming Addiction makes the person to ignore all other pleasures in the universe.
3.Gaming can expand a person's knowledge about history,military,how government works,and science.
4.History is better understood if you play it.
Oh and yeah those turtles in ninja turtles got the name of famous artist during Leo's time...Leonardo,Michael Angelo,Raphael and Donato,I still remember them :D.

Actually, gaming can make a someone more violent, but it can also act as a tool to vent one's agressions.
And It's Michelangelo and Donatello ;)

The point is dont you think its funny how through the eyes of a young child that He is instantly recognisable through a video game rather than a historical figure lol !!
Yes, I get the point. And think it's either worrying or funny, depending on how old this cousin of yours is.

Spider_Sith9
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Ezio was real! Altair and Connor weren't. Neither was Aveline. The Templars and the Assassins are real. Assassins aren't an Ancient Order just as the Templars aren't now just Freemasons. We are talking about the Crusader Templars.

How did I learn this? Assassin's Creed of course! :3

ze_topazio
04-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Ezio was not real.

Q1RSTU
04-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Are you serious, spider_sith?

Spider_Sith9
04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Ezio was not real.

Are you serious, spider_sith?

How the heck did that fly over your heads?! xD

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UQNILpdDQnA/UQ2uvDxeBkI/AAAAAAAAB_4/0Fd-VgrbJog/s1600/Haytham+Kenway+Facepalm+Connor+AC3.jpg

Q1RSTU
04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Just making sure, mister. I have actually seen people on youtube who really think the Assassins were real :D

Spider_Sith9
04-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Just making sure, mister. I have actually seen people on youtube who really think the Assassins were real :D
That was the joke. :D

roostersrule2
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Just making sure, mister. I have actually seen people on youtube who really think the Assassins were real :DActually back in AC1 time, there was a group of hash browns turned assassins called the Hashashin's.

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 02:11 PM
the assassin's were real but obviously not in the way shown in the games and not in all era, they were called Hashashin'sduring the crusades and stayed in masyaf castle, they were just hired killers though, nothing special but that was where the inspiration for the games came from, also ezio was real obviously not in the way you saw him in the game, the auditores were real but there was little record on ezio so the devs took this liberty to "fill in the gaps" so to speak.

Q1RSTU
04-11-2013, 02:23 PM
That was the joke.
Then you understand why I had to be sure! ;)

Actually back in AC1 time, there was a group of hash browns turned assassins called the Hashashin's.
Wow, I didn't know. That's extremely interesting! I think their order wasn't exactly like in AC, though :)

roostersrule2
04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
the assassin's were real but obviously not in the way shown in the games and not in all era, they were called Hashashin'sduring the crusades and stayed in masyaf castle, they were just hired killers though, nothing special but that was where the inspiration for the games came from, also ezio was real obviously not in the way you saw him in the game, the auditores were real but there was little record on ezio so the devs took this liberty to "fill in the gaps" so to speak.The Auditores weren't real? There's probably a family in Italy or the world with that name but they were not based off anyone.

Q1RSTU
04-11-2013, 02:28 PM
the assassin's were real but obviously not in the way shown in the games and not in all era, they were called Hashashin'sduring the crusades and stayed in masyaf castle, they were just hired killers though, nothing special but that was where the inspiration for the games came from, also ezio was real obviously not in the way you saw him in the game, the auditores were real but there was little record on ezio so the devs took this liberty to "fill in the gaps" so to speak.

I would like to see your sources on the Ezio thing, please?

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 02:31 PM
I would like to see your sources on the Ezio thing, please?

it was back in ac2 coverage I remember an interview with a dev on the game that the auditores were real but they were just a normal family of bankers with little records on them which the devs exploited. I clearly won't have a source from 3 years ago and am not going to waste time looking for it.

SpiritMuse
04-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Is it me or does Assassins Creed create a History Syllabus that far exceeds any structured school lesson !

The other day my young cousin and his friends was in a lesson and the teacher asked them who Leonardo Davinci was and what was there response " oh that man Assassins Creed ! " LMFAO i mean how funny is that ! Assassins Creed certainly lifts the lid on historical events and characters and this proves that video games are infact good for children.

I'm kind of wondering how a young, school-age kid knows Assassin's Creed well enough to say this. Aren't these games supposed to be rated 18+? :confused:

MasterAssasin84
04-11-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm kind of wondering how a young, school-age kid knows Assassin's Creed well enough to say this. Aren't these games supposed to be rated 18+? :confused:

Who takes note of age ratings these days !! and just because there is an age rating does not mean to say they are not accesible to younger audiences !

MasterAssasin84
04-11-2013, 03:16 PM
it was back in ac2 coverage I remember an interview with a dev on the game that the auditores were real but they were just a normal family of bankers with little records on them which the devs exploited. I clearly won't have a source from 3 years ago and am not going to waste time looking for it.

I highly doubt the Auditore was real , but there is a book called rise and the fall of the house of the medici which mentions quite a few names that are featured in AC2.

ajl992008
04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I highly doubt the Auditore was real , but there is a book called rise and the fall of the house of the medici which mentions quite a few names that are featured in AC2.

well it doesn't really matter to me, I know what I read in the interview but it's so irrelevant I'm not going to argue for it.

SpiritMuse
04-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Who takes note of age ratings these days !! and just because there is an age rating does not mean to say they are not accesible to younger audiences !

Of course they're accessible to younger kids. But the thing is, they shouldn't be. You *should* take note of age ratings, they're there for a reason. You know all those parents groups and media watchdogs complaining that kids' games are way too violent? That's because everyone ignores the ratings and forgets that they aren't kids' games. You might not notice anymore, but these games we're talking about here are filled with swearing, sexual situations (though not very many), political intrigue, and committing premeditated murder. Fairly adult themes, wouldn't you say? And while some teenagers might be mature enough to handle it properly, it's definitely not stuff you'd want a 7-year-old kid dealing with.

CalgaryJay
04-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Wow, I didn't know. That's extremely interesting! I think their order wasn't exactly like in AC, though :)

They kinda sorta were, actually. Masyaf really was their stronghold near the end too, though its greatly exaggerated in the game, the real place isn't even that hilly. Actually that was one thing that puzzled me about choosing Masyaf, as their main fortress throughout most of their existence was a place called Alamut, which would more resemble what the AC Masyaf looked like. But its probably because by the time of the setting of AC1, they were at Masyaf, I know how Ubi likes to be accurate with timelines (which I appreciate).

Actually on another interesting note, that first time you do a leap of faith - as ordered by Al Mualim - to show the order's seriousness to a European army at their gates, really did happen. Though in actuality, I'm sure the leapers died, as opposed to landing softly in a conveniently placed haystack. The idea was for the Assassin leader to demonstrate the level of commitment of his order towards the European knights, that they would leap to their deaths simply at his command. It worked too, the horrified leader of the Crusaders witnessing it (forget who it was off the top of my head. Probably Baldwin somethingorother, all the Crusader leaders seemed to be named Baldwin for some reason) begged the Assassin leader (who's name wasn't actually Al Mualim. People in the area refered to him as the Old Man in the Mountain) to stop, and they withdrew.

...oh, and an Assassin never covertly released a bunch of redwood sized logs to fall on the Crusader army either. They left on their own accord.

/ my history nerd-out sesh

AjinkyaParuleka
04-11-2013, 05:45 PM
The Assassins(Hashashins) and The Knights Templar were very real during the crusades.And Assassins weren't just hired contract killers,they carried out missions according to their Grand Master's plan,their ideology were very similar to that of in game Assassins,no genocide killings,being stealthy and kill in public and broad day light to strike terror in the people's heart while still being the "good guys".Masyaf wasn't their HQ,but it still was its fortress,Alamut was their HQ,I hate Mongolians for burning the Assassins Library,oh the knowledge we could've learned.
Don't know much about Templar,but I guess they were some elite force which were dismissed in the early 14th century.
And about Auditore family,yeah they were real back then,I read their name in one of the books I have...I don't know the reason why they were stated though.

CalgaryJay
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
The Assassins(Hashashins) and The Knights Templar were very real during the crusades.And Assassins weren't just hired contract killers,they carried out missions according to their Grand Master's plan,their ideology were very similar to that of in game Assassins,no genocide killings,being stealthy and kill in public and broad day light to strike terror in the people's heart while still being the "good guys".Masyaf wasn't their HQ,but it still was its fortress,Alamut was their HQ,I hate Mongolians for burning the Assassins Library,oh the knowledge we could've learned.
Don't know much about Templar,but I guess they were some elite force which were dismissed in the early 14th century.

I just finished a book about them, its because King Philip the Fair (because of his skin tone and good looks, certainly not because of his practices) of France claimed a bunch of presumably false rumours about them, about how their secret initiation was full of sacreligious and homosexual acts - spitting on the cross, worshipping false idols, and then buttplay with your fellow Templars, etc - so they were round up, tortured to give fake confessions, and eventually burned alive at the stake, while their valuable property and possessions were given away. Philip was also deeply in dept to the Templars, hmmm I wonder if there's a coincidence there...

And agreed about the Mongol burning of the Assassin library, one of the greatest crimes in history for a historian, along with Spanish Franciscan monks burning over a millenia's worth of detailed Mayan historical records, on claims that they were documents of the devil. If that isn't a palm to forehead slap, I don't know what is.

AjinkyaParuleka
04-11-2013, 06:12 PM
And agreed about the Mongol burning of the Assassin library, one of the greatest crimes in history for a historian, along with Spanish Franciscan monks burning over a millenia's worth of detailed Mayan historical records, on claims that they were documents of the devil. If that isn't a palm to forehead slap, I don't know what is.
Religion destroying information since -beginning of life-.
History easily gets me interested.I can't read a Harry Potter book,completed Forsaken in a week,can't read a language book,completed history textbook in 2 days.Seriously education should replace history teachers with Assassin's Creed and AoE.

jayjay275
04-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Religion destroying information since -beginning of life-.
History easily gets me interested.I can't read a Harry Potter book,completed Forsaken in a week,can't read a language book,completed history textbook in 2 days.Seriously education should replace history teachers with Assassin's Creed and AoE.

Imagine that...

silvermercy
04-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Games could prove useful in making history interesting for kids but as much as I like AC I wouldn't trust my future children to learn history from it. It includes a sci-fi plot in it and in addition, I can't say I agree with all the anti-religious points it makes. A suitable game for me would be filled with pure unadulterated history.

(we have all those iPad games for cats these days. lol Give those iPads to kids to learn some history!)

monster_rambo
04-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Haha...you are funny. Go read a book.