PDA

View Full Version : Forts should return in AC4 but with improvements

projectpat06
04-08-2013, 10:13 PM
In Ac3, the forts were a welcomed addition to AC series, but like many things in AC3, they seemed lacking and limited. I hope the development team brings them back in AC4 but in a way that game play doesnt get old. With the far cry 3 team assisting, I think we will see an improved fort system that gives us limitless options.

First off, I want the forts to have multiple ways to infiltrate or capture them. Some of them can be approached by sea and destroyed while also having the option to approach the fort secretly and destroy it from the inside. The forts shouldn't be limited to two different paths but multiple paths given a stealth or frontal assault approach.

I also want each fort to have a unique assassination target or targets that can play out as a side mission. Instead the entire fort turning into a bunch of pansies and running away when their captain is killed, I want them to either try kill you or place a bounty on you and hunt you down after you escape.

I also think that the forts should be a feature that allows for limitless gameplay. Make it so that the forts, after they are captured, can be recaptured. Instead of den defense or some mini game, just have like in san andreas to where you can fast travel back and actually witness the place being attacked. In order to keep the fort you have to kill or capture all the attackers. This same thing should happen even if you are in the fort. Attackers can come at random and you fire cannons at them from the fort instead of your ship. Templar assassin agents should be able to infiltrate the fort and try to kill you while visiting.

I think these forts can serve as mini bases for edward to stock up on gear, change outfits, weapons, etc. We can upgrade them to prevent them from being infiltrated at all and to give us more time from them being attacked or attacked at all. Basically just another customization and upgrade system besides what we will be doing with our ship.

I'd also like to see each fort being unique and as detailed as fort walton.

Thoughts or ideas???

thecodeman715
04-08-2013, 10:52 PM
I second that motion

Rugterwyper32
04-08-2013, 11:13 PM
I do expect a lot of forts to be in this game. Both in cities and sea. One thing that I hoped in AC3 because of the sync menu was replaying forts from there but my hope now is for it to work RDR style, give it some time and you can attack it all over again. Making it so the first time it worked as a chain of side missions with specific targets that you can replay in the mission way and then clearing forts over and over again just for fun the RDR way sounds fun, doesn't it? Reminds me of how many of the gang hideouts in RDR had to come up in a mission before you could beat them officially where they could be considered "Gang Hideouts".
I think that could work.

ArabianFrost
04-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Completely agree. I think we even saw a Castello or two from the cities thread. Forts perfectly captured the essence of AC. An assassin with the tools he needs to be a ghost or a boast. You enter the den of your prey, under its own protection and choose how to hunt it. One thing I'd like though is the removal of these hellish spikes. The times they blocked my stealth endeavours are countless. All the walls should be climbable with different amphibious or aerial routes for the more explore-savvy.

JamJar502
04-09-2013, 12:10 AM
So almost like Far Cry 3's outposts?

projectpat06
04-09-2013, 12:43 AM
So almost like Far Cry 3's outposts?

In a similar fashion yes. But have the option to upgrade the forts to prevent them from being retaken. This gives the player the option to either have to defend or retake forts more often or, if upgraded enough, not at all. I would also like other things from far cry to cary over like the use of distractions to aid with stealth. For example lighting a ship on fire to catch the attention of the fort or signal your ship to open fire on the fort or another ship by the fort while you sneak in.

monster_rambo
04-09-2013, 02:57 AM
I think these forts can serve as mini bases for edward to stock up on gear, change outfits, weapons, etc. We can upgrade them to prevent them from being infiltrated at all and to give us more time from them being attacked or attacked at all. Basically just another customization and upgrade system besides what we will be doing with our ship.

This sounds so trivial. Why can't we stock up our gear, change outfits, weapons, and access our arsenal from our ship, home base, or our main menu. It doesn't seem necessary because we have a fast travel system. What purpose do forts serve in ACIV. In ACIII, it was badly implemented because after conquering a fort, the rewards are lower taxes on trading, a fast travel location, and a treasure. Since the economic system was heavily flawed and redundant, this meant forts served little purpose other than fast travel.

I also think that the forts should be a feature that allows for limitless gameplay. Make it so that the forts, after they are captured, can be recaptured. Instead of den defense or some mini game, just have like in san andreas to where you can fast travel back and actually witness the place being attacked. In order to keep the fort you have to kill or capture all the attackers. This same thing should happen even if you are in the fort. Attackers can come at random and you fire cannons at them from the fort instead of your ship. Templar assassin agents should be able to infiltrate the fort and try to kill you while visiting.

This could be a major distraction if the player is in the middle of a mission and their fort is being attacked by templars and they only have a limited amount of time to reach the location of the fort like the "defending convoy" missions. I agree that it adds to replay-ability and dynamics of the gameplay but the repeated cycle of fort defence can get boring after a while unless somehow the forts are integrated with the story, offers a meaningful reward, or an added difficulty for playing. And didn't they have templar agents in ACR that tried to assassinate Ezio at random? It didn't work so well because all it required is a button smash. Don't get me wrong, is a cute idea, but all of this is all pointless unless they add it with substance if you know what I mean.

Sushiglutton
04-09-2013, 01:08 PM
I liked the forts a lot and played each of then several times trying different stuff :). I am fairly confident that they will return in some form as they have been a part of the franchise since the Borgia tower and it seems a lot of fans like them as they are the purest assassin experience in the game.

As for your ideas I too want the forts to have as intricate layout as possible. However I do NOT want the forts to reset automatically. That is a kind of a design in sandbox games I really dislike. What it means is that the game harass the player and force me into do things I don't want to do. Let's say I am out whale-hunting for the upcoming PETA-conference. Now if messages start popping up that fort X is being attacked and that I need to defend it, that is super annoying. Perhaps I don't feel like doing that atm, but if I don't the game will punish me. This will make the game feel like a chore, rather than a relaxing pleasure :).

The simple, and imo far superior, alternative is that you can reset the forts from a menu. Now you can replay the forts when you want to! If you choose to instead just do random things for X hours there is no punishment.

JamJar502
04-09-2013, 07:35 PM
I was thinking, what do you lot think of the idea of liberating the various forts and side missions will open up from the forts, like the Path of the hunter/warrior missions in Far Cry 3?
Saying that, something like that might happen because if I remember correctly a couple of the Far Cry 3 devs are working on AC4.

pacmanate
04-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Okay this is what I don't get.

AC:B - Devs knew dens were a good idea, but thought that they should make Templars contest them and want to take them back.
AC:R - Devs implemented the feature of Templars wanting to take back Dens, however they added Den Defense. Devs acknowledge that Den Defense wasn't well recieved so say they will remove.
AC3 - Den Defense removed like they said, however with this, they also take away the fact that they can be contest.

BASICALLY, they went in a circle and are back to square one.

Enhance89
04-09-2013, 07:43 PM
I like everything except the idea of them being able to be recaptured. I absolutely HATE having to run around and defend convoys when they get attacked. Absolutely. Hate. It.

I too think the forts were too limited and should be more expansive. Or, they should be like Fort Wolcott. I enjoy the choreographed missions like the ones we have to do to get Kidd's maps.

pacmanate
04-09-2013, 07:45 PM
I like everything except the idea of them being able to be recaptured. I absolutely HATE having to run around and defend convoys when they get attacked. Absolutely. Hate. It.

Luckily in the 150+ Hours I have played in AC3 I have only had 1 convoy ever be attacked.

ZeSpecter
04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Luckily in the 150+ Hours I have played in AC3 I have only had 1 convoy ever be attacked.

Really? I dont even know how many convoys I had to defend, but it was a lot. Everytime I sent out a convoy they were attacked pretty much. That's one of the features I really wouldn't mind Ubisoft removing.

MartiusLU58
04-10-2013, 01:41 PM
No more QTEs, really, I mean it, please.

MUCHxz
04-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Forts should be more heavily guarded.

Enhance89
04-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Well, you're very lucky. I've probably had to defend them about five or six times. It may seem trivial, but I don't want to waste five minutes sidetracking myself from more important tasks simply so I can run through the frontier and defend my convoy from pathetically easy Redcoats. Furthermore, when you arrive to defend the convoy, there's always a pack of defenders just sitting around doing nothing. Really, it's a fault that falls back on the economic system in general. It's simply not good. By the time you progress in the game, there should be a way to bring in steady income without having to complete the mundane task of sending convoys. It's so mundane that I'd rather the game just have my homesteaders take care of it.

No more QTEs, really, I mean it, please.
This has nothing to do with clearing forts. Regardless, I disagree, but that's because I enjoy cool killing sequences. As much as I like the dual kills when fighting enemies, they're jokingly easy and require no skill.

Forts should be more heavily guarded.
It's less about how many bodies are in the fort and more about what you have to do once inside. As it stands, there's very little challenge involved. You can either dive headfirst into the fort, slashing and bludgeoning your way through the useless combat system, or you can find the secret entrance and stealth your way through. I always chose the stealth option because the fighting is so easy. But, I was a huge fan of the Fort Wolcott infiltration mission to find one of Captain Kidd's maps. If forts were more like that, I would have enjoyed clearing them.

SixKeys
04-11-2013, 10:48 PM
It's less about how many bodies are in the fort and more about what you have to do once inside. As it stands, there's very little challenge involved. You can either dive headfirst into the fort, slashing and bludgeoning your way through the useless combat system, or you can find the secret entrance and stealth your way through. I always chose the stealth option because the fighting is so easy. But, I was a huge fan of the Fort Wolcott infiltration mission to find one of Captain Kidd's maps. If forts were more like that, I would have enjoyed clearing them.

I disliked Fort Wolcott because it was so linear. Every time I replay the mission it's going to be the same experience.

My favorite forts were the ones in Packanack and the one you infiltrated both as Haytham and as Connor (also seen in the E3 demo). There were several ways to infiltrate both of those: you could climb up a tree, sneak in via a delivery cart, hide in bushes or leaf piles etc. There also seemed to be more ways to avoid guards compared to the other forts.

Enhance89
04-12-2013, 02:22 AM
I disliked Fort Wolcott because it was so linear. Every time I replay the mission it's going to be the same experience.

My favorite forts were the ones in Packanack and the one you infiltrated both as Haytham and as Connor (also seen in the E3 demo). There were several ways to infiltrate both of those: you could climb up a tree, sneak in via a delivery cart, hide in bushes or leaf piles etc. There also seemed to be more ways to avoid guards compared to the other forts.

It was linear, but I had fun doing it. The linear style offered a certain theatrical element you don't get from the regular forts. But, if they kept the forts similar to how they were in AC3, I wouldn't be disappointed. They just need to beef them up. For example:

-Allow your ship/fleet to bombard from the sea.
-Offer creative infiltration methods.
-Add another objective or two. For example, in AC3, all you have to do is destroy supplies, kill a captain and hoist a flag. What if you had to somehow sabotage the fort's entrance and rig it to blow, so that your soldiers could help you attack?

Personally, the idea of being able to enter a fort solo and kills dozens of soldiers in full frontal combat sucks. It's unrealistic in a bad way, unless you can have your ship clear way for you with a bombardment.