PDA

View Full Version : Another pirate game to compete with Black Flag in October

Cornik22
04-07-2013, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but another pirate game is also coming this October. It's an action adventure called Raven's Cry, and tells the tale of Christopher Raven, who is out to track down the men who murdered his family so he can kill them. Features include:

- Action adventure set in a historically accurate representation of the Caribbean in the 17th century.

- Main locations include Port Royal, Havana, and an Aztec City deep in the jungles of the Spanish Main.

- Events in the game are interwoven into the narrative with historical occurrences, and promises to be rife with “treachery and adventure”.

- Engage in fiercely tactical melee combat with an historical, authentic pirate-hunting arsenal.

- Player choice will have grave consequences on the outcome of the story- will you become a righteous seeker of renegade justice, or a conscienceless man whose ends justify his means?

- Challenge a memorable cast of villains to brutal, heart-pounding duels to the death as you seek your vengeance.

Sounds similar to AC IV to me! The game is coming to PC and Xbox 360 on October 24, just 5 days before Black Flag. So there you go, ig BF is not enough for us, we can always check this one and compare ;)

http://i45.tinypic.com/m79zp.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zdzvic.jpg

THE_JOKE_KING33
04-07-2013, 05:43 PM
It's not coming to PS3? ****...and I was actually looking forward to it. =/

SixKeys
04-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Interesting. If AC4 disappoints, this might be a worthy alternative.

pacmanate
04-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Graphics look weird but the water looks like AC3s.

Dosenwabe
04-07-2013, 06:14 PM
It's not coming to PS3? ****...and I was actually looking forward to it. =/ Of course it's coming to PS3. I wanted to post a thread about this game a few weeks ago, but the gameplay videos and trailers look so terrible. It will be dumped by the Black Flag fleet without anyone noticing.

nitres15
04-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Graphics look weird but the water looks like AC3s.

yea, the boat and sails looks like consept art while the water looks... well, like water i guess.

TRUKITTN
04-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Ooo Shiny. And it has RP elements. Sign me up. Looks like it was developed for PC from its website, so I'm thinking the console versions are ports. That's a nice switch. I wonder if they'll put it on Steam...

diaboslb7
04-07-2013, 06:39 PM
no way this can compete against AC4:BF

the graphics are very terrible

ArabianFrost
04-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Wow. This came out of nowhere.

Rugterwyper32
04-07-2013, 07:10 PM
http://youtu.be/ZFkH5_Che1M

Gameplay trailer.

rileypoole1234
04-07-2013, 07:14 PM

Gameplay trailer.

Meh.

SixKeys
04-07-2013, 07:17 PM

Gameplay trailer.

Ehh, excitement's gone. Graphis look bad and the fighting moves look like a bad AC ripoff.

Bashilir
04-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Models look extremely stiff and.. awkward. Well, back to hoping Black Flag revives Pirate games.

kriegerdesgottes
04-07-2013, 07:31 PM
The concept looks great but the graphics look borderline PS2.

MadJC1986
04-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Most probably because it is a low cost production.
It needs a lot of money to create animations, graphics like those AC3 had

TRUKITTN
04-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Most probably because it is a low cost production.
It needs a lot of money to create animations, graphics like those AC3 had

Yes, this. I'm not going to count it out just because the graphics aren't crazy amazing. The story sounds interesting, with a sort of fable twist. Lower production cost could mean lower price tag too, and that's always important.

I'm digging the youtube comments on the gameplay video about Rockstar though. Red Dead Pirates. Yessir. :3

pacmanate
04-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Oh, PC? That means there will be 0 sales.

montagemik
04-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Pirates of the Crappibbean ............. & really bad eggs .

Jack_Pirate
04-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Yeah this game does not stand a chance against ACIV

masterfenix2009
04-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Well, since I think graphics are extremely unimportant, the game looks decent to me.

SaibotMK
04-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Edit: Ok I read this and it has potential

http://www.destructoid.com/raven-s-cry-looks-like-a-proper-pirate-action-game-209439.phtml

I won't get any hopes up, but since I can't even play AC4 when console players can if this game is cheap ill for sure pick it up to tide me over in October.

shobhit7777777
04-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I feel bad for this game...

Black Flags will slaughter it

ArabianFrost
04-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Well, since I think graphics are extremely unimportant, the game looks decent to me. *
I feel bad for this game... * Black Flags will slaughter it * Yeah. Imagine a group of budding game devs exploring the ruthless word of gaming. Two years ago, they all bundled up in their office with a myriad of ideas and suddenly, Pirates come up, leading them to make a pirate game. The idea is relatively original and the genre could need a good revival. They pour out all their heart and soul into this unique concept, with the greatest expectations. Who the hell can come up with the same idea we thought of? Or so they thought. Kn reality, a behemoth in the gaming descended upon their poor game with a series purely fueled by money and manpower. At that revelation, they are robbed of all hope by the menace that is Ubisoft and in a last attempt at success, they release their little child earlier than AC4, but they know they are only fooling themselves with that petty attempt. At the end, the only way by which this game can see the day of light, is for TotalBiscuit to salvage the game, though, for all we know, the game isn't of great quality on a AAA scale, deeming its quality and sales utterly inferior to AC4. Poor guys indeed.

zerocooll21
04-07-2013, 10:35 PM
a hook? srsly?

pacmanate
04-07-2013, 10:40 PM
The fact that the game takes the time period and setting of AC4 and releases just before AC4 means people will buy AC4.

Cornik22
04-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Agreed. Not only that, BF has been in development since summer 2011, where Raven's Cry started production one full year before that (ironically, the game was uncovered during E3 2011, just when Ubisoft decided to make BF). Unlucky and poor timing! It doesn't look that bad, though.

http://i50.tinypic.com/j0e3ck.jpg

Plus the first comparison. Raven Cry's Havana vs Black Flag's Havana ;)

http://i50.tinypic.com/qznqzq.jpg

Mmmm... yeah. Also, more info:

- Thrilling narrative
- Moral decisions often toeing the line between grey and black, rarely a “good or evil” decision… but every choice has a price
- Authentic, immersive recreation of the 17th Century Caribbean, wrought with detail and imagination
- Huge free-roaming levels
- Naval Battles
- Fluid, precise controls
- Historically authentic weapons and ships
- Combat system balancing white-knuckled melee with tactical cover and shooting
- Special weapons add to combat depth, including Christopher’s serrated hook
- Manipulate the psychology of your enemies by employing FEAR powers
- Living, breathing worlds full of NPCs and real-time events
- Ground-breaking score

ZeSpecter
04-07-2013, 10:59 PM
I think you guys are forgetting that the AC4 isn't a pirate game, it only has pirate elements in it. AC4 is still, just like all AC games, about assassins and assassinations.
I think this game has potential. It looks like a decent game and I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

silvermercy
04-07-2013, 11:03 PM
I like the concept but the graphics look like PS2, and graphics are important, to me at least... Who knows maybe it will HELP its sales since more people may look for pirate games (like we just did here) and buy it just for the concept.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
04-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Looks like a Pirate Version of The Witcher 2 an Fable 3

ArabianFrost
04-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Agreed. Not only that, BF has been in development since summer 2011, where Raven's Cry started production in 2009. Unlucky and poor timing! It doesn't look that bad, though.

And the first comparison. Raven Cry's Havana vs AC Black Flag Havana ;)

Also, more info:

- Thrilling narrative
- Moral decisions often toeing the line between grey and black, rarely a “good or evil” decision… but every choice has a price
- Authentic, immersive recreation of the 17th Century Caribbean, wrought with detail and imagination
- Naval Battles
- Ground-breaking score

Why would the devs consider "thrilling narrative" and "moral ambiguity" in the game description. AC has moral ambiguity but they never blatantly put it out like that. Either the game doesn't have those two features in great quality or this studio has somethings to learn about the industry.

ACfan443
04-07-2013, 11:25 PM
I think you guys are forgetting that the AC4 isn't a pirate game, it only has pirate elements in it.

Writer explicitly said "first and foremost, it's a pirate game."

ArabianFrost
04-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Writer explicitly said "first and foremost, it's a pirate game."

I think it was more like "First and Foremost, a pirate trained by assassins". In a twitter convo, he said that it remains an AC game at the core, with a "thick pirate frosting". Certainly not a pirate game with AC elements built around it for familiarity.

ACfan443
04-07-2013, 11:49 PM
I think it was more like "First and Foremost, a pirate trained by assassins". In a twitter convo, he said that it remains an AC game at the core, with a "thick pirate frosting". Certainly not a pirate game with AC elements built around it for familiarity.

He doesn't seem sure of what he's saying, one minute it's "AC core, pirate frosting"
Then it's "pirate core, AC frosting"

Cornik22
04-08-2013, 12:21 AM
They've clearly said that this game is all about the "pirate fantasy" (just like Red Dead Redemption was about the old west fantasy) mixed with Assasin's Creed.

ArabianFrost
04-08-2013, 12:32 AM
He doesn't seem sure of what he's saying, one minute it's "AC core, pirate frosting"
Then it's "pirate core, AC frosting"

And that's why the Devs should probably have prepared answers to these rather usual questions to avoid incidents like this and the tree-running aspect. Who are we kidding anyway? AC's marketing has always been horribly confusing with misinterpretations as far as there can be, especially AC3. Maybe we'll get more clarity at E3 when they can spill more beans, but until then, who knows?

LieutenantJojo
04-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Meh, not too impressed. The graphics look like they were made for the PS2 and the fighting looks a little weird.

I might pick it up after I've completed AC4 and don't have anything else to do, however. I've been wanting pirate games for years and now I get 2 in less than a week, so I might as well give it a try.

Stardust235
04-08-2013, 03:02 AM
This looks like that game that came around AC1, the first templar.

pirate1802
04-08-2013, 06:49 AM
Looks like a Pirate Version of ... Fable 3

Exactly what I was reminded of seeing the gameplay trailer. That's a good thing IMO.

Saqaliba
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I have been playing Risen 2 lately. It is a pirate RPG. Really not to bad when you level up.

AjinkyaParuleka
04-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Agreed. Not only that, BF has been in development since summer 2011, where Raven's Cry started production one full year before that (ironically, the game was uncovered during E3 2011, just when Ubisoft decided to make BF). Unlucky and poor timing! It doesn't look that bad, though.

Plus the first comparison. Raven Cry's Havana vs Black Flag's Havana ;)

Mmmm... yeah. Also, more info:

- Thrilling narrative
- Naval Battles
- Ground-breaking score
How does someone un holsters those guns from that position?!!?Sword looks bad.Just convinced myself Black Flag has won.

ajl992008
04-08-2013, 01:00 PM
game looks bad from the gameplay trailer, ill just stick with black flag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE2TFmBzw3ghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3TisjOxZXw

heres some gameplay but the video isn't amazing quality

on second thought it doesn't look too bad but not a must buy.

Grandmaster_Z
04-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Hook Blade!! ;)

pacmanate
04-08-2013, 03:34 PM
How does someone un holsters those guns from that position?!!?Sword looks bad.Just convinced myself Black Flag has won.

At least they have holsters...

Bastiaen
04-08-2013, 04:24 PM
This looks like that game that came around AC1, the first templar.

This, though actually, the first templar is not a horrible game. It's actually quite fun, though I believe it really released in 2011. My wife loves it because it has drop in/ drop out coop. Which makes it great for playing together. I totally thought about the first templar while watching Raven's Cry trailer. To be fair, it looks like AC4 is a rip off of Raven's Cry, whereas The First Templar was a rip off of AC (they even had a leap of faith in one trailer, though it was cut in the final game, thank goodness).

Abeonis
04-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Riiiiiight, looks more like Fable ​than anything else.