PDA

View Full Version : They couldn't hold the pirate era for next gen, your thoughts?

SaibotMK
04-06-2013, 04:43 AM
You don't make a game for both current and next gen games, yes it is possible, but no, that is not what is going on here. You are getting better performance, visuals and physics, what the physic's will all detail I do not know. You are playing a tweaked PS3/360 game on a next gen console, nothing more.

Unless you add gameplay, content, and change or increase the core of the game itself you are still playing the same game. The scope of AC4 I just think would have so much more potential developed as purely a next gen title, especially given it being a pirate game.

You know Farcry 3 makes me decently optimistic about the game, it is a pretty impressive game on a current gen console.

Your thoughts?

xx-pyro
04-06-2013, 05:48 AM
It's a good way to familiarize yourself with the system while still having the older generation to fall back on in terms of keeping up sales. It's actually quite a brilliant strategy, I never understood why some games are released solely on the next generation when the previous one isn't obsolete yet.

pirate1802
04-06-2013, 06:00 AM
But...but... the money?!

RinoTheBouncer
04-06-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm hopefully getting both PS4 and PS3 versions.

Abeonis
04-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Why should somebody who can just about afford to buy the game (in what might be the favourite game series) not be allowed too purely because they don't have a spare 500 floating around for a next-gen console at the time?

sajber00
04-06-2013, 10:22 AM
I almost only play AC. I wouldn't buy AC4BF if it was only playable on PS4.

Legendz54
04-06-2013, 10:32 AM
I will be finishing off my last AC game that will be on the PS3 then the rest of the AC'S wil be on the ps4.

ProletariatPleb
04-06-2013, 10:42 AM
You are forgetting that it will take time for all the players to switch to the newer console, who are they going to sell the game to? GTA is doing the same, Metal Gear is doing the same. If they're downporting then it's going to be decent, granted they can do 10X better when they don't have to develop for ancient, derelict and obsolete hardware but the transition will take time.

silvermercy
04-06-2013, 11:05 AM
If I get the ACIV:BF for PS4 it depends on two things:

First, how close to the AC4 release date the PS4 console will be available. I want to play AC4 when it first comes out. If I have to wait 2 months to get it I'll get the PS3 version instead.
Second, how expensive the PS4 console will be. Anyone have a clue on its cost by the way??? I just bought my second PS3 console, a super slim, on an impulse purchase. lol

MasterAssasin84
04-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Ubi is a Business thet are in it for one thing !! to totaly drain our Bank accounts of the wonderfully fantastic Assassins Creed games they shove down our throats !!

montagemik
04-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Why should somebody who can just about afford to buy the game (in what might be the favourite game series) not be allowed too purely because they don't have a spare 500 floating around for a next-gen console at the time?

Consoles are expensive ......... If somebody can barely afford a game - Then choosing an expensive console as their choice of entertainment was their BAD decision .

Choose a cheaper Hobby is one option , Then again nobody is forced to buy any product when it first launches at it's most expensive price.............. You could always WAIT & save up your cash for future purchase.

Personally - i'm getting AC4 on PS3 & PS4 on launch day.

MasterAssasin84
04-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Consoles are expensive ......... If somebody can barely afford a game - Then choosing an expensive console as their choice of entertainment was their BAD decision .

Choose a cheaper Hobby is one option , Then again nobody is forced to buy any product when it first launches at it's most expensive price.............. You could always WAIT & save up your cash for future purchase.

i mean i will proberbly do the same when xbox 720 comes out i will buy both versions !! i have no issue shelling out for a new console.

Abeonis
04-06-2013, 01:35 PM

Please actually read what I post before responding next time. The OP is stating that AC4 should only release on next-gen consoles, but not everybody has the extra cash to buy one. Clearly, if they've been playing AC up until now, they have a current-gen console already. So why should those loyal fans miss out because they unfortunately cannot afford a PS4/Xbox 270?

montagemik
04-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Please actually read what I post before responding next time. The OP is stating that AC4 should only release on next-gen consoles, but not everybody has the extra cash to buy one. Clearly, if they've been playing AC up until now, they have a current-gen console already. So why should those loyal fans miss out because they unfortunately cannot afford a PS4/Xbox 270?

I read your post - Makes just as much sense the 2nd time you say it . :rolleyes:

Wouldn't matter if you've bought 100 AC games on current gen consoles - Doesn't mean the Developers should continue to make future games in the series for those consoles ...............
As soon as a Developer makes ANY game for next gen only - WE as customers have a choice .................. Upgrade or miss out .
Did you complain to Movie studios when they switched from VHS to DVD ? .............. What about loyal VHS customers who supported the Movie studios for years ? ....... same principle.

Many of the 'LOYAL' gamers you're defending ..............probably did little more than 'ASK MOMMY & DADDY TO BUY IT' in the first place. (nagging their parents = loyalty :rolleyes: )

Eventually Current gen Will DIE ..........How long you or anybody else kicks & screams about next gen prices or Loyalty is entirely up to you guys. Won't change anything in the real world.

TRUKITTN
04-06-2013, 02:14 PM
I am happy they are releasing it on the current gen platforms. In my little opinion, the more consoles the better. You get to keep your entire fanbase and add onto it without alienating anyone.

That said, here comes the soapbox: I have absolutely no plans at all to buy a next gen console right away. And its not that I couldn't afford them. I could, if I thought they were worth it. However, I remember all too well the PS3 release and all its promises. Promises that got broken as they released firmware updates and redesigns that gutted its original functionality. In fact I didn't even get a PS3 until recently , and even then I scoured Gamestops for a 1st gen one so I could get a decent price and backwards compatibility - as the original release price tag was just plain arrogant, and I like being able to play my old games on it. Though, to be brutally honest I use it more as a blu-ray player, but I do have a handful of exclusive or not-so-exlusive titles for it. Heh.

Anyway, The PS4 so far promises no backwards compatibility at all (that's an instant no-sale for me), the capability to block used games from being played on it, and a placeholder pre-order price tag of $899.00 USD (https://www.ebgames.com.au/ps4-154706-PlayStation-4-Console-Placeholder-Price-PlayStation-4). That's even MORE arrogant than before. You're paying a helluva lot more for a console with less base functionality than its original predecessor. Not to mention, developers still haven't been able to max out the potential of the PS3 due to its apparently difficult-to-work-with system. I know Sony is claiming to have made it easier for devs, but its just not something I'm willing to lay the greater part of a grand on.

Idly, I'm not trying to start a console war or nuffin. I know I probably sound like a Sony hater at this point. In truth, this industry has made me extremely cynical lately when it comes to new releases of any sort and I dunno what the 360's new guy has in store. I've heard disturbing rumors of it being digital-only. If so, they can count me out of that too. My PC can happily out perform any of the new next gens anyway, and its readily upgradable. So if it comes down it, I can always take the PC or bust stance. But I rather like the 360, and the 1st gen PS3 might be big and ugly compared to its slim new brethren, but I like it too. At least I can happily say I got my money's worth. There's no way I could say that about the PS4. :/ Not unless it can also fix cars and deliver babies, considering how much money they want for it.

Locopells
04-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Wouldn't matter if you've bought 100 AC games on current gen consoles - Doesn't mean the Developers should continue to make future games in the series for those consoles ...............
As soon as a Developer makes ANY game for next gen only - WE as customers have a choice .................. Upgrade or miss out .
Did you complain to Movie studios when they switched from VHS to DVD ? .............. What about loyal VHS customers who supported the Movie studios for years ? ....... same principle.

Nevertheless, VHS and DVD ran side by side for quite some time - VHS wasn't dropped as soon as DVD was announced...

montagemik
04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Nevertheless, VHS and DVD ran side by side for quite some time - VHS wasn't dropped as soon as DVD was announced...

Yes for a while both formats ran side by side , But all the advancements & features were made for DVD , VHS was left with substandard basic editions of movies by comparison.........

So why would a loyal FAN want the AC series to continue in a lesser version than the Developers could make it on consoles ? ,
And the more time that passes with current & next gen side by side , then the PS3/360 editions if continued would just become even more restricted for content than AC3 was.

Kaschra
04-06-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm glad AC4 is still for the current generation and not only for the next. I assume AC4 will be the last one for this generation though.
I'll wait till the price drops and then buy a PS4. I really don't like spending more money than necessary.

pacmanate
04-06-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm hopefully getting both PS4 and PS3 versions.

Well thats pointless.

Also I get what OP is saying, it stupid, but necessary at a console switch over. Games for PS4 and PS3 will be multiplat for at least 4 years. Also, they have said PS4 will have better graphics, physics, lightening so I guess its something.

Only thing I want them to do is intelligence of AI.

SaibotMK
04-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Yep a lot of good points made, I am assuming I will end up with the next gen variant of AC4 since I am on PC, hopefully PC will be getting the better physics as well. I know if the PS4 came out today I wouldn't have the spare cash to throw at it, but if I was a console player I personally would start setting money aside for that or the 720.

I will say this, if my PC got stolen or lost in a fire or tornado, I would be going full blown PS4 for damn sure.

ProletariatPleb
04-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Only thing I want them to do is intelligence of AI.
Lol, good luck with that cause firstly AC Ai is a joke and secondly everyone seems to be focusing on graphics, I too want AI improvements.

Yep a lot of good points made, I am assuming I will end up with the next gen variant of AC4 since I am on PC, hopefully PC will be getting the better physics as well.
Unless whoever takes decisions fell on his head(which is likely since Ubisoft tends to make odd choices), they should be doing a PS4 port or develop for the PC and then downport which makes sense and is easier and cost-effective compared to making it for the Xbox and then porting to PC and PS3.

Abeonis
04-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Yes for a while both formats ran side by side , But all the advancements & features were made for DVD , VHS was left with substandard basic editions of movies by comparison.........

So why would a loyal FAN want the AC series to continue in a lesser version than the Developers could make it on consoles ? ,
And the more time that passes with current & next gen side by side , then the PS3/360 editions if continued would just become even more restricted for content than AC3 was.

So, what? The guy who hasn't got 500 to buy a next-gen console is just **** out of luck? Sod him, why should Ubisoft care about his opinion, or keeping those fans who can't afford the console happy, purely because it means developing the game on the same system they've been developing with for the past decade.

Many of the 'LOYAL' gamers you're defending ..............probably did little more than 'ASK MOMMY & DADDY TO BUY IT' in the first place. (nagging their parents = loyalty :rolleyes: )

Eventually Current gen Will DIE ..........How long you or anybody else kicks & screams about next gen prices or Loyalty is entirely up to you guys. Won't change anything in the real world.

I fail to see how you managed to find a correlation between the age of a fan and how loyal they are to the series. Now you're saying that in order to warrant having an opinion you HAVE to a) purchase the game yourself and b) be 18+ to play; granted, for legal reasons ONLY 18+ should be playing this game, but practically that isn't the case.

You're correct, current-gen will die, eventually. But it sure as hell isn't going to get put down on October 30, the day after the new consoles launch.

Sushiglutton
04-07-2013, 04:09 PM
But...but... the money?!

Pretty much this. If you have >12M customers on current systems it would be madness to release a sequel exclusively on next gen. No way any sensible person would do that in their shoes.

montagemik
04-07-2013, 09:13 PM
So, what? The guy who hasn't got 500 to buy a next-gen console is just **** out of luck? Sod him, why should Ubisoft care about his opinion, or keeping those fans who can't afford the console happy, purely because it means developing the game on the same system they've been developing with for the past decade.

I fail to see how you managed to find a correlation between the age of a fan and how loyal they are to the series. Now you're saying that in order to warrant having an opinion you HAVE to a) purchase the game yourself and b) be 18+ to play; granted, for legal reasons ONLY 18+ should be playing this game, but practically that isn't the case.

You're correct, current-gen will die, eventually. But it sure as hell isn't going to get put down on October 30, the day after the new consoles launch.

LOL So enjoy playing AC 5 on your X360 - problem solved ........................... Meanwhile in the real world = Ubisoft make a business & future development decision.
Games will still be made on PS3 / X360 on a secondary level - less content - less features = Enjoy that , it sounds fun
But unfortunately ,12 months from now - all the real focus from developers will be on next gen titles.

Rugterwyper32
04-07-2013, 09:47 PM
I think some people here don't remember for how long the PS2 was still a big thing for after the PS3 was released
Prolly the same will happen here

pacmanate
04-07-2013, 10:42 PM
I think some people here don't remember for how long the PS2 was still a big thing for after the PS3 was released

Yup thats what Im saying. Multiplats will go on for at least 4 years minimum. After that features will start being cut from PS3 and 360 because the PS4 wont be at its potential.

ProletariatPleb
04-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Yup thats what Im saying. Multiplats will go on for at least 4 years minimum. After that features will start being cut from PS3 and 360 because the PS4 wont be at its potential.
Perhaps that will happen, but the jump from PS2 to PS3 was vast, but PS3 to PS4 isn't.

pacmanate
04-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Perhaps that will happen, but the jump from PS2 to PS3 was vast, but PS3 to PS4 isn't.

Its still enough to get things like shadows right, higher frame rates, better textures etc. Still enough to make visible difference.

ProletariatPleb
04-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Its still enough to get things like shadows right, higher frame rates, better textures etc. Still enough to make visible difference.
I meant from a development standpoint.

Abeonis
04-08-2013, 07:24 PM
LOL So enjoy playing AC 5 on your X360 - problem solved.

Yes, that would solve the problem; that would mean they have released it on both consoles which is what I through you we're moaning against.

But unfortunately ,12 months from now - all the real focus from developers will be on next gen titles.

Yes, but it's not 12 months from now, is it? I would be concerned if Ubisoft weren't focusing on next-gen titles in 12 months, but that's not the discussion point.

I think that if you're going to keep moaning about this, you should probably try and keep your retorts in some sort of order, so I'm not having to counter every possible argument a human being could develop. (No, I don't like popcorn, before you try and use that as a reason for Ubisoft ignoring their fan base as well.)

EDIT: Also, I would like to point out that at no stage have I said I will be playing on the Xbox 360; I have every intention of purchasing the Xbox 720 on launch date, and so hopefully AC4 as well. The fact that I am defending the rights of those fans who, unfortunately, cannot afford the new consoles like myself or your parents, does not mean I live in a fantasy world, as you seem to be trying to imply.

d4st4n96
04-08-2013, 09:19 PM
exactly!!

montagemik
04-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Yes, that would solve the problem; that would mean they have released it on both consoles which is what I through you we're moaning against.

Yes, but it's not 12 months from now, is it? I would be concerned if Ubisoft weren't focusing on next-gen titles in 12 months, but that's not the discussion point.

I think that if you're going to keep moaning about this, you should probably try and keep your retorts in some sort of order, so I'm not having to counter every possible argument a human being could develop. (No, I don't like popcorn, before you try and use that as a reason for Ubisoft ignoring their fan base as well.)

EDIT: Also, I would like to point out that at no stage have I said I will be playing on the Xbox 360; I have every intention of purchasing the Xbox 720 on launch date, and so hopefully AC4 as well. The fact that I am defending the rights of those fans who, unfortunately, cannot afford the new consoles like myself or your parents, does not mean I live in a fantasy world, as you seem to be trying to imply.

Interesting you see this 'Discussion' or my differing viewpoint as something you need to counter .

I'm not complaining or moaning , my last post began with LOL . -

As i said messages back - How long you or anybody kicks & moans about the series going fully next gen only is their problem.
I don't care when the final AC next gen cut off happens ............. The next gen AC continuation won't vanish from existence if people don't own them immediately.

Arguing for 'loyal' current gen players to be able to play any future title is pointless ............No matter when they switch AC completely to next gen - there's always going to be a couple of million PS3/360 owners who'll own the whole AC series & still can't afford a Next gen console to continue playing.

& No , my parents (lol ) aren't footing the bill for my AC4 / PS4 either.
I'm currently awaiting PS4 release date info , before ordering either PS4 Black chest edition or PS3 Buccaneer & PS4 Black chest edition
If released months apart - i'll get both versions.