PDA

View Full Version : ACIV's Map size???

projectpat06
04-05-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm just curious how big this map is going to be in order to make it seem like a huge vast ocean with islands to explore. If they want to keep it seamless with all the islands but still make it realistic so that when you're in the open ocean there may be nothing in the horizon, that's going to be one huge map. I'm guessing the size of Just cause 2's map. And then there are the cities which we know will be vast and huge.

Also do you think the islands will be more like linear side missions like we had in AC3 that we initiate on arrival or do u think they will be fully explorable at any time with missions to undertake?

The fact that the ocean is now explorable underwater, do you think this will be the case anywhere or do think it will only be mission based too so we can only do it in certain spots?

The reason why I'm bringing this up is bc we get our hopes up for many things during the previews like the free roam sailing in AC3 but when the game comes out, all the gorgeous scenes and missions end up being restricted and short.

I'm hoping this game is twice as large as AC3 in terms of the ocean and islands map. Possibly so large with enough content that they have to put the game on two discs for xbox

MasterAssasin84
04-05-2013, 10:25 PM
I think AC3 had far too many side missions ( thats my only criticism ) but i would say the maps would be bigger if thats the case that there will be no loading screens and the fact you will be sailing from one location to another ! i do want side missions to return but not to the point were they drowned the core gameplay and story.

ArabianFrost
04-05-2013, 10:30 PM
I believe it was the same size as Boston (?). La Habana may have been the third largest city on the Americas back then, but these cities weren't quite gigantic or surpassing the dignified architecture of grander and more dignified countries, so I wouldn't have my hopes up for AC4's cities, but we'll see, I guess

Rugterwyper32
04-05-2013, 11:02 PM
La Habana was actually the third biggest city of the Americas at the time indeed. And it was substantially bigger than Boston and New York. It had been around for exactly 201 years by the point this game starts (1715). By 1770, the population of Boston was of about 20,000 people, while Havana's by the time of this game was of about 70,000.

ACfan443
04-05-2013, 11:10 PM
La Habana was actually the third biggest city of the Americas at the time indeed. And it was substantially bigger than Boston and New York. It had been around for exactly 201 years by the point this game starts (1715). By 1770, the population of Boston was of about 20,000 people, while Havana's by the time of this game was of about 70,000.

This makes me very optimistic about Havana :D

Dosenwabe
04-06-2013, 02:09 AM
I don't trust the devs anymore, too much lying in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if this "free roam sailing" is just at a small area around each city that are connected with loading screens (just like in AC2 outside of the city gates) and not a single big ocean. It should be like Wind Waker, with actually complete free sailing, many islands and stuff that all have their own unique secrets. But I'm sure the ocean in AC4 will be pretty empty, and the things to discover and to do very repetitive and generic.

roostersrule2
04-06-2013, 02:16 AM
There's no way it will be the size of JC2 and that's good as that map was too big. However it will be sizable I'd expect Havana to be the size of Boston, Kingston to be the size of New York and that pirate city should be pretty small. The sea should probably be about 2x the Frontier as water takes up no where near as much space as land but the bottom of the sea is explorable so it should still take up a bit of room.

LieutenantJojo
04-06-2013, 03:28 AM
Well, I'm guessing it'll be way bigger than AC3 on paper, but won't feel like that. I mean, if you played the sea-missions in AC3, you know that you sail about 1000 feet in no time. It takes you like 10 times longer to do it by boat than by foot, so the open sea in AC4 will be A LOT bigger than the frontier, but just won't feel like that, since you're on a boat. Of course there'll be 3 cities in stead of 2, but overall, I don't think it'll feel that much bigger than AC3.

SaibotMK
04-06-2013, 03:52 AM
I don't trust the devs anymore, too much lying in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if this "free roam sailing" is just at a small area around each city that are connected with loading screens (just like in AC2 outside of the city gates) and not a single big ocean. It should be like Wind Waker, with actually complete free sailing, many islands and stuff that all have their own unique secrets. But I'm sure the ocean in AC4 will be pretty empty, and the things to discover and to do very repetitive and generic.

Yea I hope not

Stardust235
04-06-2013, 04:02 AM
There's no way it'll be as big as JC2 -- Quality > quantity. GTA 3's map is better than Saint's Row the Third's.

Dieinthedark
04-06-2013, 04:07 AM
I could care less about the size. Id rather have a smaller and interesting level than a massive boring one.