PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed 3 GDC 2013 Studios collaboration

Assassin_M
04-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Pretty informative...
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/189816/Video_How_Assassins_Creed_IIIs_many_studios_collab orated.php

Sushiglutton
04-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Watched the whole thing :D (yeah I'm extremely bored :( ). It's impressive the scale of this project. It's easy to sit here and nitpick, but I have to admit I've never been involved in a project of anywhere near this size. Sometimes I feel like I just expect a lot of things to just work, that actualy require a ton of hours and comitment to get working. They have truly created a game producing machine and that is cool in a lot of ways :).

At the same time I do believe their structure may be a reason for some of the issues many of us see. Such as for example having a lot of fairly shallow content. It's much easier to do it that way as each system becomes more seperated. Aslo the focus on short term results means there is an incentive to produce something that works as fast as possible and then it may be hard to add depth afterwards? The fact MP is becoming a bit stale (or so I have heard) is easily understandable knowing that team only gets 1 year for every installment.

Anyway it was an interesting vid and I have nothing but respect for those guys. I hope that the AC-monster can turned in a slightly more play-friendly direction though. Sounds like Ismail (forgot what else he was called) is steering it that way ;).

Assassin_M
04-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Watched the whole thing :D (yeah I'm extremely bored :( ). It's impressive the scale of this project. It's easy to sit here and nitpick, but I have to admit I've never been involved in a project of anywhere near this size. Sometimes I feel like I just expect a lot of things to just work, that actualy require a ton of hours and comitment to get working. They have truly created a game producing machine and that is cool in a lot of ways :).

At the same time I do believe their structure may be a reason for some of the issues many of us see. Such as for example having a lot of fairly shallow content. It's much easier to do it that way as each system becomes more seperated. Aslo the focus on short term results means there is an incentive to produce something that works as fast as possible and then it may be hard to add depth afterwards? The fact MP is becoming a bit stale (or so I have heard) is easily understandable knowing that team only gets 1 year for every installment.

Anyway it was an interesting vid and I have nothing but respect for those guys. I hope that the AC-monster can turned in a slightly more play-friendly direction though. Sounds like Ismail (forgot what else he was called) is steering it that way ;).
I`m happy someone took the time to watch the whole thing. Yesterday, We watched ALL the Conferences that happened there and some of the things I`v seen and heard are simply amazing. it`s normal for the average joe to sit here and call them "lazy", but after watching these, he/she will still criticize, albeit with a much more professional and understandable approach

Also, his first name is Ashraf :P

Sushiglutton
04-05-2013, 06:29 PM
I`m happy someone took the time to watch the whole thing. Yesterday, We watched ALL the Conferences that happened there and some of the things I`v seen and heard are simply amazing. it`s normal for the average joe to sit here and call them "lazy", but after watching these, he/she will still criticize, albeit with a much more professional and understandable approach

Also, his first name is Ashraf :P

I'm sure I have called them lazy sometime (can't remember lol), but it is not something I stand for (it's the interwebz :p). But the problem imo isn't lack of effort, not at all, but rather the wrong direction in some key areas. Anyway it's amazing that humans can do what they are doing.

Btw did you see the Bergeron/May conference? I was interested in that but couldn't find it online. Since I believe that the mission design is the bigges issue, and that story takes up too much space at the expense to gameplay, I wanted to watch that. If you saw it, what did you think? Did they adress any of these concerns?

I'll try to remember ASHRAF!

Assassin_M
04-05-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm sure I have called them lazy sometime (can't remember lol), but it is not something I stand for (it's the interwebz :p). But the problem imo isn't lack of effort, not at all, but rather the wrong direction in some key areas. Anyway it's amazing that humans can do what they are doing.

Btw did you see the Bergeron/May conference? I was interested in that but couldn't find it online. Since I believe that the mission design is the bigges issue, and that story takes up too much space at the expense to gameplay, I would be interested in watching that. If you saw it, what did you think? Did they adress any of these isssues?

I'll try to remember ASHRAF!
Sadly, no and I didn't see it online. My college professor was lucky enough to personally attend GDC himself and filmed a lot of the conferences in some of the tracks present there...He filmed conferences from the design, production and programming tracks, but May was in none of them unfortunately.

there were a lot of conferences. too much to put down here. some companies I never even heard of, but from what I saw...this industry has a pretty bright future......Then again, I don't remember seeing anything from the Business management tracks and conferences :rolleyes:

Sushiglutton
04-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Sadly, no and I didn't see it online. My college professor was lucky enough to personally attend GDC himself and filmed a lot of the conferences in some of the tracks present there...He filmed conferences from the design, production and programming tracks, but May was in none of them unfortunately.

there were a lot of conferences. too much to put down here. some companies I never even heard of, but from what I saw...this industry has a pretty bright future......Then again, I don't remember seeing anything from the Business management tracks and conferences :rolleyes:

There is a site http://www.gdcvault.com/ that I guess may upload that conference, but they require paid membership which felt a bit too much given that I'm just a happy amature.

I would be shocked if the video game industry as a whole goes anywhere by up. More devices, more demographics, more countries etc. Ofc some business models may die and get replaced by new ones, but overall I think you have chosen a very promising profession. There are plenty of things to worry about in the world, the videogame industry is not one of them imo. We have only seen the beginning...

ACfan443
04-05-2013, 06:48 PM
I`m happy someone took the time to watch the whole thing.

I watched the whole thing yesterday, ..when it was mentioned in the other thread :p