PDA

View Full Version : If Ubisoft brought Assassin's Creed to modern times, they could revolutionize Stealth

Sajuro
04-04-2013, 06:23 AM
I had this thought when faced with the argument about why we can't bring Assassin's Creed into more modern times, because guns are too powerful. I think that an Assassin's Creed set during modern struggles for independence or at least more modern times like the twenties could focus more on the stealth part of the gameplay, moving the core combat mechanics away from counterkills, or at least emphasizing it less, to more taking out guards and separating them like a silent predator. The way I think this could revolutionize stealth gameplay is that it could have guards stay in contact with each other or have regular meeting points during their patrols so if you kill Bob the guard in the bathroom, guard Steve will notice when Bob isn't on his patrol route and call in some additional guards, because Bob is generally a competent guy.

My thing is in Assassin's Creed, stealth isn't a big mechanic for a game about people who are supposed to be able to slip in, murder their target, and slip out of the situation, memetic badasses who can have a blade in your throat before you notice what is going on. Make it more like Hitman, or Deus Ex: HR, where you have a rating system in terms of synch in the former case which handles how many people you killed aside from the main target of the assassination: the two guards who attack you before his body hits the ground, you can kill them without a penalty, the guy at the door, small penalty but hey, he was at the door. The guards walking around that you could have avoided but you're hurting for money, you would get docked for that. In the latter case, don't make a meter but feature good nonlethal take downs, and have it so the only people you have to kill are the assassination targets, even giving an achievement for an otherwise pacifist run.

In addition to the guards being alert of each other and keeping murders down to below crimes against humanity levels, Ubisoft could implement mechanics from Splinter Cell and could use mechanics such as costume changes to blend in with a faction (of course it would only work for a time and from a distance depending on the circumstances).

Now there would still be shooting sections, but I wouldn't want to make it a shooter, you could always have it be like Assassin's Creed 3 where a few shots will desynchronize you and you can't really stand in open combat against heavily armed guards like in the Batman Arkham games, you need to use your brain and use the shadows when you are in modern times.

In Short, If Ubisoft wanted to do something truly glorious, all they would need to do is bring Assassin's Creed up into modern times and make it a superb stealth title, using mechanics already found in other stealth games but doing them in such a way to deliver something new to this world.

no pressure, lol

ACRules2
04-04-2013, 06:33 AM
In short... no.
Your idea is good but don't we already have Splinter Cell for modern day stealth antics? I prefer the historic settings of AC, makes it feel more realistic and grounded, in a way. But some of the ideas in your text here (e.g disguises, advanced guard/patrol systems) would still work in historic grounds.

samurai.leo
04-04-2013, 06:35 AM
if main game go to modern time line, i would stop buying or preorder assassin creed games

Assassin_M
04-04-2013, 07:03 AM
if main game go to modern time line, i would stop buying or preorder assassin creed games
This

Batman
Splinter Cell
Hitman

pirate1802
04-04-2013, 07:38 AM

This.

RIP AC if it comes to that.

ProletariatPleb
04-04-2013, 07:48 AM
This, this a million times this.

I'd rather not see them "revolutionize" stealth like they've done with SC Conviction :|

Ygdrasel
04-04-2013, 09:34 AM
AC has already BEEN in modern times. And Desmond survived gunfire just fine. What's the issue again?

TheHumanTowel
04-04-2013, 09:43 AM
AC has already BEEN in modern times. And Desmond survived gunfire just fine. What's the issue again?
Those modern day parts were horrible though.

RinoTheBouncer
04-04-2013, 09:46 AM
I'd love to have longer modern day play missions.
After all, it's called ASSASSIN'S CREED, about Creed of the Assassins, not The Story of Ancient Assassins Only And Exclusively In Historical Times.

I don't know why people just cling to a certain gameplay style. We can play in pre-historic times, we can play in BC or AD, modern or ancient. What's the problem? just because we had 5 games so far in an ancient period doesn't mean we should just get stuck there.

I think an Assassin in modern day using gadgets, headset, guns, modern-style hidden blade, pistol with silencer, parkour and other awesome features would be amazing, at least partially throughout an AC game.

TheHumanTowel
04-04-2013, 09:50 AM
After all, it's called ASSASSIN'S CREED, about Creed of the Assassins, not The Story of Ancient Assassins Only And Exclusively In Historical Times.

I don't know why people just cling to a certain gameplay style. We can play in pre-historic times, we can play in BC or AD, modern or ancient. What's the problem? just because we had 5 games so far in an ancient period doesn't mean we should just get stuck there.

I think an Assassin in modern day using gadgets, headset, guns, modern-style hidden blade, pistol with silencer, parkour and other awesome features would be amazing, at least partially throughout an AC game.
The series is about reliving history actually. Ubi (Patrice at the very least) have said they'll never do only a modern day game.

TinyTemplar
04-04-2013, 09:51 AM

AC universe is so big. Sometimes I want just go back to Altair.:)

ProletariatPleb
04-04-2013, 10:01 AM
I always want to go back to Alta´r ._.

Ygdrasel
04-04-2013, 10:02 AM

A) The major draw of AC is exploring unconventional periods. Anything except modern-day and WW2, basically.

B) You just described Watch Dogs. xD

TinyTemplar
04-04-2013, 10:08 AM
And Splinter Cell

RinoTheBouncer
04-04-2013, 10:09 AM
A) The major draw of AC is exploring unconventional periods. Anything except modern-day and WW2, basically.

I'd love to go back to the times of the First Civilization. It has a modern look in some way but also not very well known and Watch Dogs will probably top my list this year and I hope it will be a franchise not a just one game but I wished for a modern day AC so we can play the story from different angles and have the modern day play linked to TWCB, previous AC games a perhaps Desmond too. Maybe not a full game in modern time, something like half and half or like ACIII.

I wanna go back to Ezio xD

LightRey
04-04-2013, 10:16 AM
The concept of a modern-day setting is in direct conflict with the historical theme central to the series. AC is not about stealth. Hell, in every single game you can go on a rampage and do just fine, and in the vast majority of missions you can just run around killing people, slashing your way through a crowd of guards to get to your target (though full sync is ruining that). Stealth is a side-element to the game, which, granted, is often a more realistic and immersive approach, but still very much optional.

The only role modern day should ever play in an AC game is the switch between perspectives and to show the bigger picture.

shobhit7777777
04-04-2013, 12:31 PM
No

While I agree that stealth has taken a backseat in AC...your suggestion wouldn't be revolutionary

Hitman

Splinter Cell Conviction

Crysis

MGS3

Batman: Arkham Asylum

The thing is....Assassin's Creed already has a VERY interesting and innovative stealth mechanic - Social Stealth..which goes beyond Hitman's 'Chameleon' oriented stealth.

AC1's stealth was very cool in that you actually had to blend in. The core idea was to avoid attention....you had to move carefully, avoid ANY attention and generally be seen but not noticed. You knock over pots...you get attention..you run around and bump into people...attention

AC1 actually made you felt like an Assassin....You had to constantly be aware and blend in - proper social stealth....you had to be a part of the landscape.

If you want to "revolutionize" stealth (IDK if I'd call it revolutionary) in AC......get back to the basics.

1. Social Attention - The guards should be more investigative in nature and unlawful activities should garner more attention.

Say you create a ruckus in the Northern area....you beat up a couple of guards, a few civvies and maybe take out a shop....all of this should be taken into account by the game and that area should be a danger zone

The AI in that area behaves towards you as if you're on high notoriety (kinda like GTA). A circular zone where the AI has set up roving patrols and "Jaeger" archetypes hunting for you....roadblocks and more rooftop archers

Obviously the AI response would be in tune with the chaos you create.....kill a patrol...and its the above...beat up a few guys....and you just have some Jaegers on the look out.

This would work in conjunction with the notoriety system - create more chaos in other zones or **** around in an already high alert zone..and your notoriety spreads.....you'll have other areas (North East and North West) being cordoned off and troops pouring in.

2. Social Blending - The AC2 blending was a pretty simple yet cool concept...Ezio hiding in a group....which is VERY effective BTW (Swing the camera down to AI eye level....you can't see **** when Ezio is in the middle of a group)...build on that

AC1 had different sectors based on social standing - rich areas, trade areas, poor areas
Blending in with folk in rich areas should be different from blending in with people in the poor areas.....walking around in each area should get you the appropriate amount of attention from the guards
Ezio moving around in the richer areas would make sense and raise less suspicion than say Altair roving about in a district of colourfully attired merchants and noblemen.

Nothing needs to be too complex...based on the Assassin's social standing the guard's in specific areas need to behave accordingly....a system like this is already in place in the current games.

A system like this would affect crowd behaviour and density....rich folks don't move about in groups but may move around with their entourage...the richer areas may not be denser in terms of the population but it will have a lesser density of guards and patrols....you won't be able to climb freely around without gathering attention
The poor areas will be denser but you may stand out.....more patrols and guards but more mobility as you can climb and run about or use the crowds

3. Investigative AI - A generally smarter AI which is more investigative.....right now as soon as the meter fills up their reaction goes straight to aggression. Instead of an attempt to arrest or capture you or even interrogate you the AI simply switches to "Kill"

The normal behaviour should be (when your notoriety is 0 and you're not in a danger zone) that the alerted guard follows you....allow him to catch up...he will interrogate you...ask for your name and why you're so well armed.....give the option for the player to bribe the guard...if the player decides against it...the guard becomes agitated and asks you to follow him...at this point the player will have to off the guard...Hitman Absolution does this very well.

This can be used to lure guards and also improvise.....you can always slip out of a situation which can blow into a full chase...but you also have the option of just making a run for it and alarming the guard
If you do decide to just break LOS and disappear...the guards in the immediate vicinity of the alerted guard shall investigate possible hiding zones and then go back to business.

Do this when your notoriety is high and in an alerted zone...its the same loop as before....SSI fills up and you're ****ed.

4. Civvies bringing in Guards and pointing out your Last Known if you beat a couple of them up or do something socially unacceptable

5. Target behaviour is more complex...target has routines that allow you to choose a kill zone - say the rich Templar merchant moves about in the central industrial district in the day but at night holes up in his villa. Time of day affecting your approach...affecting crowd and guard density.

The above is just a little taste of what AC CAN do to improve the core stealth experience...however...we need to keep in mind that stealth is but one pillar of the game....and too many stealth oriented systems (while awesome for me) might put other people off AC....not to mention deviate from the core gameplay loop and detract from the experience.

AC is not a stealth sim

It should however expand on the idea of social stealth and blending into an urban populace

pacmanate
04-04-2013, 12:43 PM

This

This.

That that!

OSantaClownO
04-04-2013, 02:55 PM
They won't put Assassin Creed in modern time mostly because they don't want to show their opinion about politic matters this days.

Sajuro
04-04-2013, 10:28 PM
What about even the thirties and forties? What about during the fight for Civil Rights in the sixties?
It is still a historical period but guns are more prominent

montagemik
04-04-2013, 11:12 PM

I actually expected this ^^^ kind of thing is what Desmond would become in modern day AC3 missions .............
I expected the whole Davinci flying machine would be training for later modern day elements - infiltrating Abstergo roof with a Hand glider at some point - parachute in for another ............ maybe even a base jumping outfit for a modern day leap of faith from a skyscraper .

But i was over optimistic - Desmond gaining over a lifetimes worth of experience as an Assassin , was a completely wasted aspect.