PDA

View Full Version : Will Black Flag Stand A Chance For Game of the Year?

poptartz20
04-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Okay, first off it's I know it's hard to call since it is so early in the year, but facing the fact some of the biggest games are coming out this year and the ratings are backing them up. Also after AC3 receiving splitting reviews between many, you have some who are turned off from the series completely, then you have some that still love the series and continue on, (also your people that are hesitant--like myself) and lastly you will have your newcomers once again.

I honestly feel like Ubisoft will have to reach deep into a bag of tricks for this one. Even though I personally feel AC3 was the best in the series yet story wise I sympathize with others with the amount of bugs it had, a few story loopholes, time restraints on the game, and the somewhat linear mission designs. Just to name a few. Let's face it It was good but it could have been even better. With the amount of material they had to work from and even listening to some of the deleted sound files we have I know there was more depth that just wasn't explored. If AC4 is anything like they made 3 in this aspect I sadly don't think it will have a chance. :( More or less a forgettable ***le in the year.

If we look at, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, God of War Ascension, all of these granted are different in their own way but they each have their own element to make them them nothing short of amazing and almost flawless ( This comes down to a matter of opinion of course... but #'s and ratings don't lie) Is there anything you think Ubisoft can learn from these juggernauts that will make AC4 what it needs to be to compete with ***les coming out this year? Should they take more time with these things to make sure there is a better quality --- start releasing games in late Nov. or Dec?

Everything of course is speculation right now, but with games such as Dragon Age Inquisition, The Last of Us, GTA 5, Beyond:Two Souls,Dead Island: Riptide, and even Watchdogs it's going to be an interesting year for gaming. This doesn't even include games that will come out for the next gen systems.

What do you think? Can Ubisoft make this one stand a chance? Best one yet? I love the series I'm rooting for it but I'm just not so sure. . .

MasterAssasin84
04-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Now i said this in the feedback section when the game was released i never experienced many bugs if i am being honest and not many problems truth be told but, but i will maintain that this has the potential to be the best Assassins Creed ever made IMO and i feel that AC3 was the start of an evolution of the Assassins Creed series.

montagemik
04-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Sorry , But i'm calling GTA V as 2013 Game of the Year ............... GTA is almost a guaranteed GOTY winner - Rockstar rarely if ever FAIL .

The whole AC4 pirate angle will prove to be extremely popular saleswise , But hardly anything beats the almost total freedom of a GTA game.

pacmanate
04-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Short answer - No.

GTA is going to win hands down.

kuled2012
04-03-2013, 10:18 AM
No.

poptartz20
04-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Now i said this in the feedback section when the game was released i never experienced many bugs if i am being honest and not many problems truth be told but, but i will maintain that this has the potential to be the best Assassins Creed ever made IMO and i feel that AC3 was the start of an evolution of the Assassins Creed series.

See I was the same way! In game I really didn't get that many bugs. It was weird hearing about it so much from others! The first major bugs I experienced were in the ToKW DLC. I had a cut-scene that never loaded. I think another problem I had was with the Biddle mission but that was almost it. Nothing game breaking.

Also! I think you're on to something! I feel that AC3 was the jumping stone in revolutionizing the Assassins Creed franchise as a whole! We will see though. You never know with Ubi.. : /

Sorry , But i'm calling GTA V as 2013 Game of the Year ............... GTA is almost a guaranteed GOTY winner - Rockstar rarely if ever FAIL .

The whole AC4 pirate angle will prove to be extremely popular saleswise , But hardly anything beats the almost total freedom of a GTA game.

Hey Naughty Dog rarely ever fails either... But I must say. I kinda agree it's hard to go up against a GTA game. With it being bigger and better than EVER it's going to be the one to beat, not to mention the game has been in the works for probably 4 years. I think this year AC4 might be screwed. Haha. Go LAST OF US!?

Sushiglutton
04-03-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm not really sure there is a clear definition for GOTY. There are hundreds of sites naming their own GOTY. I guess the game winning the most awards is some kind of overall GOTY, but it's nothing official (then there are a couple of bgger awards, but not sure how much they count). It's pretty clear that AC3 got the shaft last year though. I think games like Dishonored, Journey, Walking Dead, Bordelands 2, FarCry3 were all held in higher regards by most critics (that is my feel anyway). On sites like Gamespot AC3 wasn't even among the 10 nominated candidates. I don't think AC has ever won GOTY in the overall industry. AC2 was the closest, but that year another little game called Uncharted 2 scooped all the awards.

2013 is a much tougher year than 2012 was on paper (GTA, The Last Of Us, Watchdogs, Bioshock etc). I think there is about 0% chance AC4:BF will be considered the overall GOTY. AC just doesn't have those last percentages of quality that makes a game truly magic, which is a shame. And yearly releases don't help either. But Ubi can wipe their tears with billions of dollars, and that's not too shabby ;).

Legendz54
04-03-2013, 11:24 AM
It has a chance but you know... people prefer running around mindlessly blowing up and murdering people so...

kuled2012
04-03-2013, 11:29 AM
It has a chance but you know... people prefer running around mindlessly blowing up and murdering people so...

You make that sound as if it's not fun.

Sushiglutton
04-03-2013, 11:35 AM

I don't think that is the problem at all. If you look at the games AC lost to in 2012 I wouldn't call any of them "mindlessly blowing up and murdering people" (except perhaps Borderlands 2). Certainly not Journey that is probably the game that has won the most (at least important awards). AC's problem is not being too intelligent. On the contrary, with the excessive handholding, it is treating the player as an idiot. The lack of focus means some systems lacks the quality found in other games. And on top of this there is also franchise fatigue.

pirate1802
04-03-2013, 11:56 AM
There's Bioshock Infinite to overcome so...

kuled2012
04-03-2013, 12:08 PM
There's Bioshock Infinite to overcome so...

That and Tomb Raider already. There's also Watch_Dogs, Last of us, Batman, GTA V. I think all these games will beat AC imo.

pacmanate
04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
How many GOTY did AC3 win? Like collectively?

Also, you have Naughty Dog and Rockstar releasing two MASSIVE games this year. GTAV and The Last of Us. GTAV could be a huge evolution of the GTA franchise purely because of how much time has gone into this game, and Naughty Dog have never let us down with anything. Not to mention you have Watch_Dogs which could also be a strong contender.

Also one last question, when is the cut of point for GOTY? Do they normally do the awards in November?

SaintPerkele
04-03-2013, 12:52 PM
The yearly rehash of a series that will most likely not introduce too much new things or an absolutely amazing sequel gamers have been waiting for a long time (Bioshock Infinite), a giant open-world game which is the newest entry in one of the highest-rated franchises ever (GTAV) or another game that promises something entirely new, even though this might fail (WatchDogs)? And who knows, Half Life 3 or Fallout 4 shouldn't be too far away either. AC4 doesn't stand a single chance, sorry.

SixKeys
04-03-2013, 12:57 PM
GOTY should go to the game that feels the most fresh and innovative (while also being fun, of course). I don't get that vibe from AC4. Bioshock Infinite will probably be a strong contender.

Megas_Doux
04-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Short answer - No.

GTA is going to win hands down.

The last of Us and Watchdogs might beat even GTA V.....

PD GTA IV is overrated :P

D.I.D.
04-03-2013, 01:48 PM

Ummm...

No, it's too easy.

Jack_Pirate
04-03-2013, 05:36 PM
depending on how innovative the "naval world" is i think it could have a chance. I am still amazed at the feel of the AC3 naval portions. I have probably replayed all of them ten times

poptartz20
04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
depending on how innovative the "naval world" is i think it could have a chance. I am still amazed at the feel of the AC3 naval portions. I have probably replayed all of them ten times

Omg! This is rare! A believer! :D

Could you imagine how Assassins Creed would be done if Rockstar or Naughty Dog was the developer... and didn't care about yearly releases!? *Cries*

Assassin_M
04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
didn't AC III win a GOTY award ?? Where was it from ?? Playstation I think ?

But yeah, if Ubisoft does good on its promise of better game design and compelling story, I think it can be a strong contender. Fresh new start, no pressure of Desmond...they have the chance

shobhit7777777
04-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Given that it has Pirates.....there is a good chance of it winning.

Pirates....Ninjas...Zombies....any three will fetch you a lot of awesome.

Jokes aside

No..not a chance....GTA IV, Watch Dogs, Tomb Raider....Last of ****ing Us.

Mr_Shade
04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
nice to see the swear filter is working.. lets try not using it though - since it gets hungry..

Jack_Pirate
04-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Given that it has Pirates.....there is a good chance of it winning.

Pirates....Ninjas...Zombies....any three will fetch you a lot of awesome.

Jokes aside

No..not a chance....GTA IV, Watch Dogs, Tomb Raider....Last of ****ing Us.

I highly doubt GTA IV will win GOTY.. its kinda old

Gi1t
04-03-2013, 06:32 PM

You think Black Flags WON'T be like that?

)It could easily turn into something like that, depending on what they do with it. XD)

Mr_Shade
04-03-2013, 06:33 PM
GTA V [shudder]

Know what I will be playing instead... AC4 / Watch_Dogs / Last of Us

TangentialShark
04-03-2013, 07:13 PM
After beating Bioshock: Infinite a few days ago, I truly believe no game this year or in the next few years will come close to the story and immersion that was provide by Ken Levine and 2K games.

TheBearJew32
04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
What is the prestigious awards for games? is it the Spike awards or is it the website of your choice? anyways, if it's the Spike award for GOTY i say either Bioshock or Last of Us. Gamespot i say GTA and IGN Last of Us. PSblog Last of Us.
Actually these are only games i know are 2013 off the top of my head...so to answer your question, no. I do not think Black Flag will win. Of course it has a chance i guess...why not...but i don't think it will win..and i don't care. Im buying it and playing it to see if it's MY game of the year...

ProletariatPleb
04-03-2013, 07:26 PM
It's too early to even make a judgement without seeing footage and that we will at E3.

Assassin_M
04-03-2013, 07:28 PM
It's too early to even make a judgement without seeing footage and that we will at E3.
Hey, what did you expect ? We had an Idiot here a few weeks ago saying that Edward is Ezio 2.0 just from one trailer and even made a big thread about it...heh

SleezeRocker
04-03-2013, 07:30 PM
AC4 may get lucky to have Ed as charcater of the year depending how he plays out but honestly...I don't think AC4 will even win anything, just likely nomimated.
though I dont like GTA I htink it has better chance of being GOTY along with Bioshock Infinite, tomb raider and The Last of Us.

somehow I feel that The Last of Us can potentially win best PS3 game and maybe Action Adventure (also tomb Raider can go under this category as well).

And on a side note im calling Injustice fighting GOTY :P

Soulid_Snake
04-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Without doubt GTAV, and rightly so, this may sound crazy, but I think it's gonna get 11/10's .

Stardust235
04-03-2013, 08:18 PM
GTA V has so much promise behind it -- you can see the blood, sweat, and tears R* games put into it just from the trailers and artwork. They're listening to everything the fans want and are promising GTA V to be the best GTA game. BF would win GOTY, if it didn't have so many tough contenders.

Sushiglutton
04-03-2013, 08:21 PM
After beating Bioshock: Infinite a few days ago, I truly believe no game this year or in the next few years will come close to the story and immersion that was provide by Ken Levine and 2K games.

Yeah that is kind of how I feel too :). If any game this year is able to be as good as BS:I I will be extremely happy. But I don't believe that will happen.

pacmanate
04-03-2013, 10:52 PM
GTA V has so much promise behind it -- you can see the blood, sweat, and tears R* games put into it just from the trailers and artwork. They're listening to everything the fans want and are promising GTA V to be the best GTA game. BF would win GOTY, if it didn't have so many tough contenders.

You saying you dont see blood sweat and tears from Ubisoft?! Your saying Ubisoft doesnt listen to AC fans?! I agree!?

ProletariatPleb
04-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Yeah that is kind of how I feel too :). If any game this year is able to be as good as BS:I I will be extremely happy. But I don't believe that will happen.
Well it's on top of the charts these days....#1 game being bought right now...

xx-pyro
04-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Do you guys think Iron Man 3 will win an Oscar nomination? That is an equivalent discussion to this- aka pointless.

ghostdance69
04-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Game of the year awards are pointless for at least me. I play what I like and some games I absolutely love and others I can't stand regardless of what game review scores or awards a game wins. I think most gamers are the same, they play what they really like and vice versa regardless of what hype, awards or reviews say.

ACRules2
04-04-2013, 06:46 AM
(sigh) I kinda wish it weren't so but
No.

poptartz20
04-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Game of the year awards are pointless for at least me. I play what I like and some games I absolutely love and others I can't stand regardless of what game review scores or awards a game wins. I think most gamers are the same, they play what they really like and vice versa regardless of what hype, awards or reviews say.

Yes that true! but at the same time It's nice to see a game that you love, win awards you think it deserves! :D

Sadly I must agree with most here GTA 5 will be a strong contender to overcome even for Bioshock I think. (Bold Statement I know) I don't know what it is about those games that bring people out the woodworks. Even one of my own personal friends wants to buy the game to play on my ps3. : |

pirate1802
04-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Bioshock Infinite, IMO will trump GTA V because it is a true piece of art and a shining example of how brilliant videogames can be as a storytelling medium. GTA V, and I mean no offense to it or its fans, while probably being a super-awesome game, still remains a game. It doesn't transcend the boundaries of what is a videogame and what they are truly capable of doing.

Assassin_M
04-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Bioshock Infinite, IMO will trump GTA V because it is a true piece of art and a shining example of how brilliant videogames can be as a storytelling medium. GTA V, and I mean no offense to it or its fans, while probably being a super-awesome game, still remains a game. It doesn't transcend the boundaries of what is a videogame and what they are truly capable of doing.
I need to get Bioshock :|

pirate1802
04-04-2013, 01:29 PM

As one reviewer puts it, the story that gets told in B:I can only be told through a videogame, not through a movie or a book. Sushi is right, I think not just this year; games from the next few years even will find it very hard to beat that game, atleast for me.

kuled2012
04-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Me too, jesus christ everyone is praising so much they might just get me out of the disappointment from the series after I played Bioshock 2

poptartz20
04-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Me too, jesus christ everyone is praising so much they might just get me out of the disappointment from the series after I played Bioshock 2

Me three... What the Heck is in that game. I haven't heard anything bad about it yet. Also story wise it seriously must be amazing!?

pirate1802
04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
You all will need new brains once you finish the game, and the implication of the ending dawns on you.. xD

egriffin09
04-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Honestly, Bioshock Infinite will most likely win. It's innovative gameplay, the game world, amazing story--(the way that the story is told and how much you have to pay attention to fully understand it), and art direction. While GTA will be amazing, it will be GTA nothing more or jaw dropping innovate about it. Last of Us maybe,,depending on how naughty dog chooses to portray and tell the story (hopefully it's not I AM LEGEND, last people on earth..pretty much what people expects) and if it has a lasting appeal on gamers like Bioshock Infinite is doing right now.

Soulid_Snake
04-04-2013, 09:42 PM

Bioshock looks cool. For GOTY, they're not gonna judge it on story alone, at the end of the day, it's gonna be a FPS vs open world genre defining game. The story for GTA is gonna be decent to!

Eternal Reward
04-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Bioshock: Infinite. You argument is invalid.

Eternal Reward
04-04-2013, 09:55 PM

It is unlike any game I have every played.

For those wanting to get it, I would give you one big piece of advice.

Don't try to beat it. Try to PLAY it. That I cannot stress enough.

All on fronts its just amazing. I never have actually liked a videogame character, or teared up during a videogame, or been genuinely sad that I finished the game. Not to mention the philosophical things it goes into.

Eternal Reward
04-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Bioshock looks cool. For GOTY, they're not gonna judge it on story alone, at the end of the day, it's gonna be a FPS vs open world genre defining game. The story for GTA is gonna be decent to!

I'm not gonna say that it will certainly beat GTA V, cause I haven't seen GTA V, but Rockstar had better unleash one hell of a story, game, and atmosphere to trump B:I.

And its not just the story, though thats amazing. It's the atmosphere, its the interactions, its the little things they add. The AI for Elizabeth HELPS you, as opposed to being a burden. I can't think of a single game where I had an AI partner that I actually liked, besides maybe HL2.

The fighting gives you so much freedom to choose how to do what you want, what with the relatively generic but varied weapons, vigors, and set pieces. And the sky-lines.......

To sum it up, GTA V has A LOT to do if it wants to even come close. It might be better, I dunno. But it has a big mountain to climb to do that.

pacmanate
04-04-2013, 10:07 PM
I got it today, Bioshock that is. Only played an hour and a half and its amazing.

Eternal Reward
04-04-2013, 10:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8toGQq46tA

And if for some reason my little spiel there didn't convince you.....

Gi1t
04-04-2013, 11:11 PM
It is unlike any game I have every played.

For those wanting to get it, I would give you one big piece of advice.

Don't try to beat it. Try to PLAY it. That I cannot stress enough.

All on fronts its just amazing. I never have actually liked a videogame character, or teared up during a videogame, or been genuinely sad that I finished the game. Not to mention the philosophical things it goes into.

Really? That good huh? :D Are the enemies in this one very different from the ones in the Bioshock games? (Are they challenging; are there man different types?) If they're not too lame, I definitely have to consider getting it. :)

saydrix12
04-05-2013, 05:13 PM
I dont think it stands a chance with key games like

Bioshock infinite
gta5
last of us
watch dogs

but i think Gta 5 will be the goty it its just gta And rockstar always brings the best games :P

salman147
07-12-2013, 05:07 PM
I dont think it stands a chance with key games like

Bioshock infinite
gta5
last of us
watch dogs

but i think Gta 5 will be the goty it its just gta And rockstar always brings the best games :P

We should wait and see which wins when they come out.

salman147
07-12-2013, 05:09 PM
I never played Bioshock.Is B Infnite that good?
What is it about?
I saw it in a local store but instead bought Hitman Absolution.

Sushiglutton
07-12-2013, 05:42 PM
What is it about?

I loved it personally. You play Booker DeWitt a detective assigned to bring back a girl from a city in the sky. The city is inspired by American exceptionalism and runned by a charismatic fanatic named father Comstock. Both the world and story are fantastic imo, an experience to remember :).

Gameplay-wise it's a somewhat standard FPS with a few twists. You have powers that you can use to manipulate your opponents and the enviroment. There are also skylines that you can ride like a rollercoaster, making combat very dynamic. I know plenty of people felt the gameplay was somewhat underwhelming, but I had a blast.

ProletariatPleb
07-12-2013, 05:48 PM
What is it about?
Well depends, can you handle bad fps gunplay? Then yes, the world and storyline are good.

I Emerge I
07-12-2013, 05:50 PM
I love AC don't get me wrong but every AC game since ACB has just been a copy and paste with little new features added in no way will it win GOTY.