PDA

View Full Version : Players are happy with Annual Assassins Creed Games

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Thoughts and comments please to the latest statement,

Annual AC games are not a problem for me :) but your opinions as i am sure its varied.

It appears that Assassin’s Creed‘s annual releases are set to continue for some time, if a statement by Ubisoft Montreal CEO Yannis Mallat is anything to go by.
“The players will tell us,” Mallat said in response to Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-29-annualised-assassins-next-gen-and-ploughing-fields-the-boss-of-ubisoft-montreal)‘s concerns about the fanbase getting tired. ”Right now there are more and more coming into the franchise, so I don’t see that day.
“People expect more and more of that content. So it’s natural to be able to provide that content. The gamers are happy and it’s our job to make them happy.”
When asked if he believed that too many entries would make the series become stagnant he replied, ”The team that has delivered Assassin’s Creed 3, they’re not working on Black Flag. They’re resting. They are refreshing their minds and then working on something else that is not announced.”
While having numerous teams working on each game may reduce the risk of burnout and a lack of innovation it does open up the series to the danger of being watered down. As more and more people work on the series it runs the risk of losing its core identity. So far it has managed to avoid it, but eventually the things that made the first game so popular may get lost in a myriad of new ideas

ze_topazio
04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
He must be friends with that guy from EA that said players love microtransactions.

AssassinHMS
04-02-2013, 01:42 PM
While having numerous teams working on each game may reduce the risk of burnout and a lack of innovation it does open up the series to the danger of being watered down. As more and more people work on the series it runs the risk of losing its core identity. So far it has managed to avoid it, but eventually the things that made the first game so popular may get lost in a myriad of new ideas

Ha, the series lost its core identity long ago. The things that made Assassin's Creed special were already replaced by the things that make it attractive to all kinds of players and that sell the most. Shame...

silvermercy
04-02-2013, 01:42 PM
I have no problem either. :) And I'm very fussy about what games I play. As long it has not many bugs I'm a happy girl! xD

(The latest Tomb Raider is a people's pleaser actually. Why is nobody complaining about that? Most loved it though.)

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 01:43 PM
He must be friends with that guy from EA that said players love microtransactions.

The same guy that drasticaly stepped down from EA claiming it was just due to sales from Tomb Raider was pants !! or is he simply hanging his head in shame at his way out statement.

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I have no problem either. :) And I'm very fussy about what games I play.

Oh i agree its not a problem for me but i dont think it right that some corporate bigwig from ubi should speak for the whole fanbase because there is an equal Margin who want the series to breath a bit.

@AssassinHMS I dissagree, i would maintain that Assassins Creed has kept its identity throughout the franchise its just the developers are being creative and trying new things AC1 was amazing and the gameplay structure was its purist form, when AC2 came along ( my favorite in the series next to AC3 ) the core identity was there it was just the gameplay style was being mtached with the era it was being set, AC1 was very dark and quite sinister because the crusades was very dark and brutal times were as the Rennasance was very artistic and jazzy so in which case ubi kept the Assassin Identitiy but made sure the gamplay style fiited the time, whic is exactly what has happened with AC3 and IMO ubi pulled it off fantasticaly.

silvermercy
04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Oh i agree its not a problem for me but i dont think it right that some corporate bigwig from ubi should speak for the whole fanbase because there is an equal Margin who want the series to breath a bit..
Yes, I suppose you're right.

AssassinHMS
04-02-2013, 03:04 PM
@AssassinHMS I dissagree, i would maintain that Assassins Creed has kept its identity throughout the franchise its just the developers are being creative and trying new things AC1 was amazing and the gameplay structure was its purist form, when AC2 came along ( my favorite in the series next to AC3 ) the core identity was there it was just the gameplay style was being mtached with the era it was being set, AC1 was very dark and quite sinister because the crusades was very dark and brutal times were as the Rennasance was very artistic and jazzy so in which case ubi kept the Assassin Identitiy but made sure the gamplay style fiited the time, whic is exactly what has happened with AC3 and IMO ubi pulled it off fantasticaly.

I agree, the developers are very creative but they lack focus and passion. They tried many things (naval battles, hunting, crafting...) but nothing that actually has to do with being an assassin. On the other hand they didn't improve the core aspects, in fact they made them far worse:
- The stealth: in AC3 I had to play against the game in order to be stealthy in the few occasions that I was allowed and it never rewarded me for that in any way;
- The navigation: just because I want Connor to run alongside a wall doesn't mean I want him to climb it. Navigation in AC3 was bad (except for tree navigation) for many reasons (control scheme, too automatic, cities were badly handled)
- The combat: the combat became easier and easier each new game culminating in AC 3 where, pretty much, the only fun the player could have while free roaming was by picking fights with guards and those were not even funny for they were far too easy (and personally I didn't like Connor's fighting style)
And to make matters worse this franchise doesn't feel like Assassin's Creed at all. In ACI we played as Altair, a great assassin (he cared about the creed, each time he assassinated a target he learned and became wiser and above all he was stealthy, just a blade in the crowd). In AC3 we hardly play as an assassin, we play as a Native American who cares not about the creed but about his village, not about the brotherhood, but about his people.
Not to mention the lack of open ended missions, the lack of ambient music, the lack of good side missions and the lack of a good atmosphere.
But hey, aside from this I guess Assassin's Creed hasn't changed much.

(Just saying what I think, I don't mean to disrespect your opinion)

TheHumanTowel
04-02-2013, 03:08 PM
This is the third thread on this same article.

silvermercy
04-02-2013, 03:12 PM
People, if you think about it... the only TRUE assassins existed during the Crusades era. Those were the original Hashashins, the ones that inspired AC1. Anything else after AC1 was not going to be Hashashin-y anyway. Even AC2. So saying that naval battles etc have nothing to do with an assassin is technically true, but if you expect AC games to focus only on your idea of an assassin (which is mostly AC1 and maybe a little AC2) you will be waiting a very loooong time. You may as well play AC1 again and again and again instead.

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree, the developers are very creative but they lack focus and passion. They tried many things (naval battles, hunting, crafting...) but nothing that actually has to do with being an assassin. On the other hand they didn't improve the core aspects, in fact they made them far worse:
- The stealth: in AC3 I had to play against the game in order to be stealthy in the few occasions that I was allowed and it never rewarded me for that in any way;
- The navigation: just because I want Connor to run alongside a wall doesn't mean I want him to climb it. Navigation in AC3 was bad (except for tree navigation) for many reasons (control scheme, too automatic, cities were badly handled)
- The combat: the combat became easier and easier each new game culminating in AC 3 where, pretty much, the only fun the player could have while free roaming was by picking fights with guards and those were not even funny for they were far too easy (and personally I didn't like Connor's fighting style)
And to make matters worse this franchise doesn't feel like Assassin's Creed at all. In ACI we played as Altair, a great assassin (he cared about the creed, each time he assassinated a target he learned and became wiser and above all he was stealthy, just a blade in the crowd). In AC3 we hardly play as an assassin, we play as a Native American who cares not about the creed but about his village, not about the brotherhood, but about his people.
Not to mention the lack of open ended missions, the lack of ambient music, the lack of good side missions and the lack of a good atmosphere.
But hey, aside from this I guess Assassin's Creed hasn't changed much.

(Just saying what I think, I don't mean to disrespect your opinion)

Oh i am not flaming your opinion just countering the arguement constructively :) AC3 for me was an awesome experience and still is now, AC1 will always stand out as a pure Assassins Creed because it was the first one, my point being is that interms of the Gameplay structure ubi never really shyed away from the core identitiy just made it fit with the period it was set for example it would not make sense to have an Altair mark 2 roaming around the artistic streets of Florence because that character would not suit the gameplay style of AC2. as with AC3 Connor was hunting the Templars in the middle of a revoulution so it obvious he was going to get caught up in battles.

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
People, if you think about it... the only TRUE assassins existed during the Crusades era. Those were the original Hashashins, the ones that inspired AC1. Anything else after AC1 was not going to be Hashashin-y anyway. Even AC2. So saying that naval battles etc have nothing to do with an assassin is technically true, but if you expect AC games to focus only on your idea of an assassin (which is mostly AC1 and maybe a little AC2) you will be waiting a very loooong time. You may as well play AC1 again and again and again instead.

This is my point a sequel has to offer something different to the player but IMO the Assassin order ans enigmatic as they are maintained a presence in every Historical conflict as they way ubi are telling the story, would not have made much sense after the events of AC1 the Assassins disbanded and that was it, its all part of the covert war that has been raging for thousands of years.

AssassinHMS
04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
People, if you think about it... the only TRUE assassins existed during the Crusades era. Those were the original Hashashins, the ones that inspired AC1. Anything else after AC1 was not going to be Hashashin-y anyway. Even AC2. So saying that naval battles etc have nothing to do with an assassin is technically true, but if you expect AC games to focus only on your idea of an assassin (which is mostly AC1 and maybe a little AC2) you will be waiting a very loooong time. Play AC1 again and again and again instead.

I like the naval gameplay and most of the futures implemented. The thing is, they should never become the main highlight of the game and their presence in it doesn't justify that the core aspects are ignored. Because then, the game looses it's identity.

TheHumanTowel
04-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Naval battles also have nothing to do with and don't incorporate the core gameplay of the series. That's what people mean when they say the series is losing it's identity.

silvermercy
04-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Then people should play AC1 again and again. Or request an AC1 remake. That was my point. You'll never have AC1 again. Impossible within a game industry.

(I'm not a fan of naval battles but apparently naval battles was what most people liked from AC3 so... no point in arguing with the majority. lol)

ACfan443
04-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Naval battles also have nothing to do with and don't incorporate the core gameplay of the series. That's what people mean when they say the series is losing it's identity.

This.

TheHumanTowel
Then people should play AC1 again and again. Or request an AC1 remake. That was my point. You'll never have AC1 again. Impossible within a game industry.

(I'm not a fan of naval battles but apparently naval battles was what most people liked from AC3 so... no point in arguing with the majority. lol)
Why don't they just turn AC into a rhythm dance game then if the core mechanics aren't important?

silvermercy
This is my point a sequel has to offer something different to the player but IMO the Assassin order ans enigmatic as they are maintained a presence in every Historical conflict as they way ubi are telling the story, would not have made much sense after the events of AC1 the Assassins disbanded and that was it, its all part of the covert war that has been raging for thousands of years.
Yes, our points are similar I think. :)

As for the identity thing: EVERYTHING that has got nothing to do with the original AC1 and Hashashins does not have the same identity be default. There would be no sequels otherwise (just AC1 spin-offs)

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 03:24 PM

I agree with you on this one, Assassins Creed has to evolve, if this was the case that Assassins Creed is losing its identitiy from which i cant see how then ubi might aswell do a reboot of AC1 !!
admitingly i hated the Naval battles at first but once i really started playing them more and more they have become very fun.

Jayden26
04-02-2013, 03:25 PM
I am ecstatic that they have decided to create AC games annually. So long as they create new settings and give us something new each time.

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 03:27 PM
I am ecstatic that they have decided to create AC games annually. So long as they create new settings and give us something new each time.

Exactly i agree , ubi have multiple studios so there is no reason why they cant deliver great Assassins Creed games, look as much as i loved AC1 i would get very bored of the series and proberbly stop playing if every AC game had the same mission structure and gameplay style.

Each suited the era they was set in so to say the franchise is losing its identity is quite a shallow opinion to be honest.

TheHumanTowel
04-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Yes, our points are similar I think. :)

As for the identity thing: EVERYTHING that has got nothing to do with the original AC1 and Hashashins does not have the same identity be default. There would be no sequels otherwise (just AC1 spin-offs)
You realise we're talking about gameplay here? Literally no one is saying go back to the crusades and Hashashins.

silvermercy
04-02-2013, 03:30 PM
You realise we're talking about gameplay here? Literally no one is saying go back to the crusades and Hashashins.
I'm responding to other's people's comments about AC's supposed lost "identity" (which also includes gameplay like naval battles etc).

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 03:34 PM

Thats the point of this thread, some fans are claimimng AC has lost its identity so to speak , which is BS IMO because a sequel should be different to its predecessor and offer something different whilst maintaining its core elements, Assassins Creed has done just that.

pirate1802
04-02-2013, 03:35 PM
IMO,

There should be ATLEAST 2 to 2.5 years gap, between any game sequel not just AC. Better bring them out late and see their flaws being hidden over by player anticipation than bring them out one after another and see their flaws magnified by franchise fatigue.

I used to wonder why people call AC the same game over and over again. Now I understand. Because the closer you bring out your game the better improvements you need to put in them to justify a sequel. Had the AC games been coming in say an interval of two years no one would be complaining about the same thing over and over. No franchise fatigue too. People would think yay! Time to play my favourite game again! Rather than...uhh, another AC? So soon? -_-

AssassinHMS
04-02-2013, 03:41 PM
I agree with you on this one, Assassins Creed has to evolve, if this was the case that Assassins Creed is losing its identitiy from which i cant see how then ubi might aswell do a reboot of AC1 !!
admitingly i hated the Naval battles at first but once i really started playing them more and more they have become very fun.

I want this franchise to evolve, but evolve in a way that I can still call it Assassin's Creed. Adding a bunch of new features and forgeting the heart of Assassin's Creed doesn't make it evolve, it turns it into another franchise. What must evolve are the core aspects. For example: you want to improove your kitchen so you paint it or decorate it. One year later you realize you're not fully satisfied with it, that you want more, so you demolish the kitchen and build a huge playroom. Something like that.

TheHumanTowel
04-02-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm responding to other's people's comments about AC's supposed lost "identity" (which also includes gameplay like naval battles etc).
Why do you keep bringing up AC1 and the Hashashin then? AC2 was a sequel with a setting that had nothing to do with AC1 but it still managed to keep the core gameplay mechanics (i.e a big part of the series' identity) prominent.

silvermercy
04-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Why do you keep bringing up AC1 and the Hashashin then? AC2 was a sequel with a setting that had nothing to do with AC1 but it still managed to keep the core gameplay mechanics (i.e a big part of the series' identity) prominent.
Because this thread is not just about gameplay but also "identity" in general? And I'm responding to those exact posts?

pirate1802
04-02-2013, 03:44 PM
AC2 was a sequel with a setting that had nothing to do with AC1 but it still managed to keep the core gameplay mechanics (i.e a big part of the series' identity) prominent.

AC4 may yet keep the core gameplay mechanics intact.

silvermercy
04-02-2013, 03:46 PM
I want this franchise to evolve, but evolve in a way that I can still call it Assassin's Creed. Adding a bunch of new features and forgeting the heart of Assassin's Creed doesn't make it evolve, it turns it into another franchise. What must evolve are the core aspects. For example: you want to improove your kitchen so you paint it or decorate it. One year later you realize you're not fully satisfied with it, that you want more, so you demolish the kitchen and build a huge playroom. Something like that.
The way I'd see it is like this though: a new kitchen in a new home with a new owner.
Still a kitchen! lol

Different perspectives I guess...

RinoTheBouncer
04-02-2013, 03:47 PM
YES I AM HAPPY WITH YEARLY RELEASES
I'm glad they got the message

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 03:47 PM

But the core elements are evolving AC1 you could blend in with monks and AC2 you could blend in with large groups of citizens so there is an example of social stealth, AC3 Connor was hunting Templars in the middle of a revolution so his methods are going to differ to that of Ezio in the Rennaisance and Altair in the crusades, AC3 introduced a completely new perspective on Assassins Creed and IMO opened new avenues for the franchise without losing the core elements as to the purpose of the Assassin.

Bastiaen
04-02-2013, 05:07 PM
I love the annual games. For me, it means that there is at least one game that will come out each year that will satisfy me, guaranteed. I love AC games, and I hope they continue the standard of quality put into their games. I also hope I keep gettting a new one every year.

Bastiaen
04-02-2013, 05:16 PM

Nuh-uh!!! Assassin's are an ancient order, dating back to Adam and Eve.

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 05:29 PM

I think this is wrong because the first recorded Assassins dates back to 456 BCE fronm then on to the Roman Era were they was enigmaticaly knows as the circle of Liberals( Liberalis Circulum ) then going forward.

silvermercy
04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Oh yes of course, the Apple! XD

But if anyone's curious here's when assassins first made their appearance (first ones trace just before 1080):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 05:36 PM

But if anyone's curious here's when assassins first made their appearance (first ones trace just before 1080):

The Assassins was actualy based in Syria and Masyaf actualy existed !!

silvermercy
04-02-2013, 05:37 PM
The Assassins was actualy based in Syria and Masyaf actualy existed !!
Yup!! XD

ProletariatPleb
04-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Oh dear, so quantity over quality?

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Yup!! XD

But i am quite sure that the first Assassins emerged in 456 BCE and the first Assassin to use the Hidden Blade was Darius who used it Assassinate King xerxes.

MasterAssasin84
04-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Oh dear, so quantity over quality?

But AC3 was a quality game .

Bastiaen
04-02-2013, 05:45 PM

I'm referring to AC's Assassins, not the historic ones. Fiction, not fact. But good source, and cool info. Thanks.
Also, quality + quantity = greatness = Assassin's Creed.

ProletariatPleb
04-02-2013, 05:48 PM
But AC3 was a quality game .
http://i.imgur.com/sLgMCj2.jpg http://data.whicdn.com/images/34546461/funny-gif-man-jump-out-the-window_large.gif

Bastiaen
04-02-2013, 05:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sLgMCj2.jpg http://data.whicdn.com/images/34546461/funny-gif-man-jump-out-the-window_large.gif

I love the IT crowd!!! That's my job in a nutshell, except most of the time, I feel like Jen. "They just destroyed the internet!!"

silvermercy
04-02-2013, 05:58 PM
But i am quite sure that the first Assassins emerged in 456 BCE and the first Assassin to use the Hidden Blade was Darius who used it Assassinate King xerxes.
They were assassins but not Assassins if you know what i mean. lol You could call them hitmen perhaps.

ProletariatPleb
04-02-2013, 06:02 PM
How I feel about this thread...

http://i.imgur.com/hKpjkd9.jpg

rob.davies2014
04-02-2013, 06:06 PM
It'd be better if they weren't calling this AC4, I wouldn't mind yearly releases if there was a 2/3 year gap between the big numbered games with the little Brotherhood and Revelations-type games filling in between them.
However I'm not happy with AC4 coming out the year after AC3, I want to know how much time they've spent developing this as I'm very skeptical about its worthiness of the big 'IV'. It seems more like the AC3 experience with more naval, underwater and a few other add ons.

kriegerdesgottes
04-02-2013, 06:08 PM

HAHAHAH hilarious. I thought the same thing.

ACfan443
04-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Haha. What an unpleasantly funny analogy

hoodrat94
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't have any problem with annual Assassin's creed, because all of them are so different! Except if all the games turn out to be like ac3, where you have so many good ideas but none of them are properly executed or at least most of them are not!

AherasSTRG
In a fictional universe, Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag is called Assassin's Creed Black Flag and is announced as a spin off and there is half the whinning while the rest of the game is completely the same.

silvermercy
That's chocolate right!? Right??? XD

AherasSTRG
Btw, I believe annualisation has nothing to do with quality (and it does not in fact, that's the truth).

ProletariatPleb
04-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Btw, I believe annualisation has nothing to do with quality (and it does not in fact, that's the truth).
http://i.imgur.com/jBQsZsU.jpg

Megas_Doux
04-02-2013, 06:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sLgMCj2.jpg

Hey!!!!!

It is my favorite in the series!
It has a great story with some big plot twists, grey morals between Assassins and templars, one that is probably the best written character in the series -Haytham Kenway-. Also some pretty solid mechanics enhanced by weather/season cycle, the least easy/cake combat, an original protagonist, a pretty interesting and the truly"first" DLC in the series, the new and fresh naval gameplay.....

It has several flaws such as its uber linear mission design, bugs -I have not experienced any major ones myself, though- and lack of background music. But I think that this game is somewhat underrated, at least for me....

Perspectives, I guess....

PD I would prefer AC´s at least every two years! In fact, I wish ACB never existed, ACR had more time to polish its side content, and Black Flack to be hold until 2014.....

ProletariatPleb
04-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Hey!!!!!

It is my favorite in the series!
It has a great story with some big plot twists, grey morals between Assassins and templars, one that is probably the best written character in the series -Haytham Kenway-. Also some pretty solid mechanics enhanced by weather/season cycle, the least easy/cake combat, an original protagonist, a pretty interesting and the truly DLC in the series, the new and fresh naval gameplay.....

It has several flaws such as its uber linear mission design, bugs -I have not experienced any major ones myself, though- and lack of background music. But I think that this game is somewhat underrated, at least for me....

Perspectives, I guess....
It has some nice things but i wouldn't call it a quality game.

Megas_Doux
04-02-2013, 06:27 PM
It has some nice things but i wouldn't call it a quality game.

I would call it a solid 8.5/10 game, not a huge landmark in gaming like Metal Gear Solid I and III, Red Dead Redemption, etc etc etc. But far from being a bad game, imo.

At least for me...

pirate1802
04-02-2013, 06:33 PM

This...this image brings me right back the memories of that horrible video my friends unwittingly forced me into watching..

ACfan443
04-02-2013, 06:39 PM
This...this image brings me right back the memories of that horrible video my friends unwittingly forced me into watching..

I actually laughed so hard a tear came out, oh god

ProletariatPleb
04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
We all know that video >_>

Megas_Doux
04-02-2013, 06:43 PM

Haha!

Glad that I have learnt to recognize when my friends are about to troll :P

And The problem I can see with AC3, is that Ubisoft sold us this game as the next best thing sex/beer.........

ACfan443
04-02-2013, 06:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxoaYRefgJU

pirate1802
04-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Yep. We all know about it. We all were forced into watching it. And we all take out our vengeance by making another innocent goat watch it! MUHAHAHAHA!

Mr_Shade
04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
and lock....

I suggest you continue the topic in the other thread..

This one is locked due to offtopic discussion and bad taste...