PDA

View Full Version : New article/interview - Ubi boss talks annualised AC, Next-gen, and franchise fatigue

ACfan443
03-29-2013, 08:17 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-29-annualised-assassins-next-gen-and-ploughing-fields-the-boss-of-ubisoft-montreal

Key sections from the article:

Some have expressed concern that Assassin's Creed's hefty fanbase may grow tired of the series now it turns up each Christmas like clockwork, as Boivin predicted. But the man in charge of Ubisoft Montreal, the principal studio behind AC, doesn't see that happening any time soon.

"No," Yannis Mallat told Eurogamer in an interview at the Game Developers Conference today. "The players will tell us. Right now there are more and more coming into the franchise, so I don't see that day. It's our breakthrough. When you have quality content, the frequency of coming out with the game is not an issue at all.

Mallat is confident Ubisoft will be able to maintain the high quality of each game despite the series' rigorous release schedule because of its multi-team approach to development.

"What I described with the roadmap is we have several teams. So they are resting. The team that has delivered Assassin's Creed 3, they're not working on Black Flag. They're resting. They are refreshing their minds and then working on something else that is not announced." - Mallat

I asked Mallat what difference gamers will notice with next-gen games compared to current-gen games:

"Let's state the obvious: the easy and immediate thing is going to be the graphics," he replied. "There are some mind-blowing graphics right now on our next-gen technology, both on Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed. That will be the entry door for anyone, even for the mainstream. It's really going to be amazing. Trust me on this one.

He also touches up on the "field ploughing" analogy by a dev from 2010, read the full article, it's a good read.

FirestarLuva
03-29-2013, 08:21 PM
"The team that has delivered Assassin's Creed 3, they're not working on Black Flag. They're resting. They are refreshing their minds and then working on something else that is not announced."

Fingers crossed for more Connor.

nunosilva13
03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
"Let's state the obvious: the easy and immediate thing is going to be the graphics," he replied. "There are some mind-blowing graphics right now on our next-gen technology, both on Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed. That will be the entry door for anyone, even for the mainstream. It's really going to be amazing. Trust me on this one.
[/B][/LIST]

Compare watch_dogs from E3 to watch_dogs from Ps4 announcement.....

E3's is on Ps3
Ps4's is on Ps4...

They look the very same.

I think he shouldn't take that approach about watch dogs and Ac4:BF... he should say the next-gen versions will be identical to the pc versions (witch is obviously true) and that the ming-blowing graphics improvements will come latter (witch is also obviously true - just compare early ps3 games to uncharted and gow 3).

TheHumanTowel
03-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Simultaneous development might give the devs more time to work on the game but it also makes it hard to listen and implement feedback into the games. Look at AC3. People were complaining that ACR had a load of frivolous side-activities like Den defense that didn't fit in an AC game, then AC3 comes along with even more frivolous activities because they couldn't predict the feedback and didn't have enough time to adjust accordingly.

Not to mention the narrative problems that can arise from this. Writing the sequel to a game that's only being written at the same time must be a hassle. Imo that's probably why AC3's modern day failed. At least AC4's modern day is relatively standalone.

silvermercy
03-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Simultaneous development might give the devs more time to work on the game but it also makes it hard to listen and implement feedback into the games. Look at AC3. People were complaining that ACR had a load of frivolous side-activities like Den defense that didn't fit in an AC game, then AC3 comes along with even more frivolous activities because they couldn't predict the feedback and didn't have enough time to adjust accordingly.

Not to mention the narrative problems that can arise from this. Writing the sequel to a game that's only being written at the same time must be a hassle. Imo that's probably why AC3's modern day failed. At least AC4's modern day is relatively standalone.
Those problems are a reality, I agree. But it seems they're taking a different approach now where all these problems get eliminated or at least minimized. Minimum modern age, more frequent change in protagonists etc... Less need for each team to be dependent on each other...

Also, it's true about the new fans influx coming every time. Old fans may go but the new ones will fill the gap more than enough.
For example, I was a new fan when AC3 came out. I still went back and played all the previous games. AC3 easily became my favorite even though I wasn't so keen on the location setting. Also, unlike older fans, Connor is currently my favourite assassin and would like more of him. In addition, Revelations as a story interested me more despite featuring an older Ezio. All this coming from a new fan who had never played AC before AC3 was announced. In other words, I am an example of the new hardcore fans who came to like the less popular fandom AC options.

Will_Lucky
03-29-2013, 09:02 PM
"The team that has delivered Assassin's Creed 3, they're not working on Black Flag. They're resting. They are refreshing their minds and then working on something else that is not announced."

Personally I'm keeping my fingers crossed the leaders are removed from important decisions.

Oh and new ancestor.

dxsxhxcx
03-29-2013, 09:25 PM
the comment section of that page is a good read as well.

MadJC1986
03-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Compare watch_dogs from E3 to watch_dogs from Ps4 announcement.....

E3's is on Ps3
Ps4's is on Ps4...

They look the very same.

I think he shouldn't take that approach about watch dogs and Ac4:BF... he should say the next-gen versions will be identical to the pc versions (witch is obviously true) and that the ming-blowing graphics improvements will come latter (witch is also obviously true - just compare early ps3 games to uncharted and gow 3).

Nope, what we saw at E3 was PC Gameplay. Expect the PS4 to have a lot better graphics than the PS3.

twenty_glyphs
03-29-2013, 09:44 PM
This quote is either incredibly blind to the truth or (more likely) just a redirection away from the core problem:

"On the farming analogy, it is true you need to have the soil resting for a season so it can then produce more," Mallat admitted, "but it's because it's the same soil.

"What I described with the roadmap is we have several teams. So they are resting. The team that has delivered Assassin's Creed 3, they're not working on Black Flag. They're resting. They are refreshing their minds and then working on something else that is not announced."

The issue that most fans have with the yearly release is that we, the fans are sick of it. We're the soil in that analogy, and many of us are getting sick of the same thing year after year. The rested status of the developers means nothing if the soil that is your fans needs a rest.

The earlier points about a year not giving enough time to implement feedback from the previous year's game is a major point. Also the story point about trying to write 2 different parts of a continuing story at the same time, while the earlier portion is still being modified. No wonder things have been incredibly disjointed and messy with the present-day storyline since Brotherhood.

And I know it's not necessarily set in stone, but do they really want to keep each installment a self-contained story from now on? That sounds like a good goal, but then what's the narrative thread that keeps people hungry for more? One of the reasons so many of us were so excited for AC3 was to see the conclusion of an ongoing story arc that had led us on for 5 years. If you don't even have that, I'm really not going to be very stoked to keep picking it up each year. I was excited for Revelations because I wanted story revelations way more than because of the same basic gameplay as the previous 2 years' games.

As for new fans coming in, are the new fans as dedicated as the old ones? I guess only time will tell. But it seems stupid to alienate a long-term fan like me from the franchise in exchange for a new fan. I was already a proven resource who would keep coming back for more, and bought side content like the comic books. Now they've lost that dedication from me and the side income they could have made in exchange for someone who may only stick around for a game or two. It seems like the long-time dedicated fans have a higher value than casual fans, but that's just me. Perhaps the new games are so great for new fans that they'll become dedicated fans like the ones that were alienated by Revelations and AC3.

Hurricane43
03-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Awesome. thanks for posting.

ZeSpecter
03-29-2013, 09:48 PM

Yes!
I really want to see more of Connor, he was an awesome character and AC3's ending was so open. I really want to know what happens with Connor next.

ze_topazio
03-29-2013, 09:50 PM
I would prefer a break to let the series and the fans rest a bit but since that's not possible they should at least vary a bit more with the setting, we have had too many games in a row taking place in western countries in a small time frame, we need something like an Asian scenario or something in the far past like ancient Greece or the Roman empire or a medieval setting, etc..., basically each main chapter should be in a setting that would contrast with the previous one to give a feeling of freshness.

eagleforlife1
03-29-2013, 10:04 PM

Please god no.

ACfan443
03-29-2013, 10:45 PM
the comment section of that page is a good read as well.

It's funny how he claims the fans want more, but actually (as pointed out) is blind to truth. The general feeling in comments section is quite the contrary to what he "thinks" the players tell him. I also don't think sales of AC3 reflect people's demands, the game was generally over hyped, so high sales were to be expected. I don't mean to be cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if Black Flag's sales are a substantial drop from AC3's.

Sushiglutton
03-29-2013, 10:51 PM
It's funny how he claims the fans want more, but actually (as pointed out) is blind to truth. The general feeling in comments section is quite the contrary to what he "thinks" the players tell him. I also don't think sales of AC3 reflect people's demands, the game was generally over hyped, so high sales were to be expected. I don't mean to be cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if Black Flag's sales are a substantial drop from AC3's.

I think so too. The reaction to the AC4 videos on sites and forums is radically different than what it was to AC3. That said AC3 sales were phenomenal. Even if AC4 sold half as much it would still sell 6M+ which is great for almost any franchise. Since it probably has a lower budget (a lot of the technology was developed for AC3) it will probably be very profitable. But yeah in the long run I think Ubi must do something about the gameplay. They really need to inject a lot more fun into the franchise, or else risk losing all the core gamers and the review sites.

Blind2Society
03-29-2013, 11:24 PM
This guy seems out of touch with reality. I guess greed has a way of doing that.

ArabianFrost
03-29-2013, 11:27 PM
What the hell do you tell them Shade, when you talk about forum reactions? Does that guy even visit the forums, or does someone inform him that we want MOAR AC EVERY YEAR 5EVER?

SolidSage
03-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Played all of them on release. Not tired at all.

ACfan443
03-30-2013, 12:26 AM
What the hell do you tell them Shade, when you talk about forum reactions? Does that guy even visit the forums, or does someone inform him that we want MOAR AC EVERY YEAR 5EVER?

I don't mean to be rude when I say this, but there seems to be delusion and ignorance coming from him, that or he's purposely choosing to ignore what a lot of people think

silvermercy
03-30-2013, 12:29 AM
Maybe he has different information than the one WE think we have? I'm sure they are aware of old fanbase complaints but who's to say they don't base their assumptions on different types of marketing research? I'm sure all companies have some kind of market research team.

dxsxhxcx
03-30-2013, 12:30 AM
I don't mean to be rude when I say this, but there seems to be delusion and ignorance coming from him, that or he's purposely choosing to ignore what a lot of people think

he's probably saying that based on the game sales...

ArabianFrost
03-30-2013, 12:34 AM
he's probably saying that based on the game sales...

I'm sure they'll get one big slap to the face with the sales this year. I'd really like to see how Ubi handles it this time.

silvermercy
03-30-2013, 12:39 AM
Who knows, but don't underestimate the casual gamer and the pirate (such as Pirates of the Caribbean) fanbase. If AC4 steps up on the marketing campaign later on, sales can go through the roof based on those facts alone. It's all about marketing to a certain target audience. If they hit them spot on, the sales are bound to be big.

dxsxhxcx
03-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Who knows, but don't underestimate the casual gamer and the pirate (such as Pirates of the Caribbean) fanbase. If AC4 steps up on the marketing campaign later on, sales can go through the roof based on those facts alone.

that's true and IMO it'll probably be the case...

ArabianFrost
03-30-2013, 12:50 AM
that's true and IMO it'll probably be the case...

At least for the the average, non-casual fanbase, the regain of trust in the series may come at the cost of poor sales for AC4.

ACfan443
03-30-2013, 12:56 AM
At least for the the average, non-casual fanbase, the regain of trust in the series may come at the cost of poor sales for AC4.

Yes. As twenty glyphs mentioned, the incentive to keep buying each sequel was because of the overarching plot which spanned over the five games (at least for quite a few of the core fans). With the annualisation in full force, and each new sequel being a standalone game with respect to plot, the anticipation and excitement to buy a new AC (IMO) won't be as high.

..and poor sales may open their eyes to concentrate on making a better, more cohesive product with a larger gap between release.

TRUKITTN
03-30-2013, 12:58 AM
:confused: The players, as I've seen it, -are- telling them, but I don't think they are saying what he thinks they're saying.

Personally, I don't think deadlines are good for anybody in this industry. When a game is rushed, it shows. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The amount of glitches and bugs present in AC3 is inexcusable for a AAA title. So no, I don't think people will get tired of great characters, fun gameplay and intriguing storylines - provided they can live up to that promise every time, but they WILL get tired of being sold a faulty product. There is absolutely no reason to have this or any series annualized. To me, that's not a selling point at all.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

ZeSpecter
03-30-2013, 01:42 AM
I'm 95% sure that it won't be a sales drop with Black Flag, but rather a rise in sales number. AC4 had one of the best trailers in the AC franchise, which attracts the attention from a broader audience. That guy from that interview in the first post also say that the sales number are rising, and I'm sure AC4 won't be an exception. All of the forum-lurkers (except 'da haters) will buy it + new fans. It is possible that AC will lose some that didn't like AC3, but most people liked it, right?
I mean, come on; Pirates combined with Assassins? How awesomer (probably not even a word) can it get? ;)

SolidSage
03-30-2013, 03:44 AM
It's not like fans who are getting burnt out by annual releases can't skip a year by choice. No-one's forcing anyone to buy it.

ToniTorsi
03-30-2013, 06:26 AM
I'm 95% sure that it won't be a sales drop with Black Flag, but rather a rise in sales number.

Sell more than 14 million copies? I seriously doubt this.

The general fan reception of this installment speaks a substantially different negative tone as oppose to the others in the past.

I welcome you to go to any major gaming website and watch as everyone is either skipping AC4 entirely or just tired of the constant yearly releases.

Only Call of Duty can get away with it, and even the sales of COD are on a fast decline.

Ubisoft can not go on a yearly AC release basis, without loosing the interest of millions of buyers in the process. Its bound to happen.

roostersrule2
03-30-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm 95% sure that it won't be a sales drop with Black Flag, but rather a rise in sales number. AC4 had one of the best trailers in the AC franchise, which attracts the attention from a broader audience. That guy from that interview in the first post also say that the sales number are rising, and I'm sure AC4 won't be an exception. All of the forum-lurkers (except 'da haters) will buy it + new fans. It is possible that AC will lose some that didn't like AC3, but most people liked it, right?
I mean, come on; Pirates combined with Assassins? How awesomer (probably not even a word) can it get? ;)I can almost guarantee it will drop, because AC3 was overhyped bringing a lot of people into the series, who left after AC3 didn't meet the standards it was setup for. Also a lot of people are getting franchise fatigue of AC, I'm not as hyped as was for AC3 or even ACR simply because I just bought the last one and the yearly releases are limiting innovative upgrades on the previous game.

ToniTorsi
03-30-2013, 07:05 AM
General fan reception of Gamespot

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144/tonitorsio/FireShotScreenCapture033-Ubisoft_GamerswantAssassinsCreedeveryyear-GameSpot_com-www_gamespot_com_news_ubisoft-gamers-want-assassins-cree.png

More from Gamespot..

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144/tonitorsio/FireShotScreenCapture032-Ubisoft_GamerswantAssassinsCreedeveryyear-GameSpot_com-www_gamespot_com_news_ubisoft-gamers-want-assassins-cree.png

The whole situation is basically like this in every gaming website.

pirate1802
03-30-2013, 07:06 AM
Well then it seems a drop in sales would do the franchise a world of good, eh?

roostersrule2
03-30-2013, 07:14 AM
Well then it seems a drop in sales would do the franchise a world of good, eh?Maybe, but then Ubisoft would probably go, "Oh no not enough sales lets make another".

pirate1802
03-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Maybe, but then Ubisoft would probably go, "Oh no not enough sales lets make another".

And then even less sales.. :D

roostersrule2
03-30-2013, 07:34 AM
And then even less sales.. :DThen maybe they will learn.

UrDeviant1
03-30-2013, 08:06 AM
When this guy talks about "fans" he's not referring to us long-term dedicated fans. What he's actually referring to is "Numbers". The more I'v come to know this series, the more I'm convinced that they have no direction and will only release games that they can market well. A big part of AC3's success is down to marketing. Personally I have enjoyed every game but there are (IMO) important things that NEED to be fixed in AC4, things that have been getting progressively worse and so AC4 will either remind me why I love the franchise or it will destroy any hope I have for it completely and they would have lost a dedicated fan (not like they care).

It's been 6 years now I mean, come on, it's time to flesh out so many imperfections and general lameness. And also it's a lie to say that the games aren't affected by a yearly release, because lets face it, there is such a thing as franchise fatigue and rushed development potentially resulting in lack of quality. That's a fact.

SolidSage
03-30-2013, 10:10 AM
I don't get it. We all know that the average quality of an Assassin's Creed game is very high. We know what kind of great game play toolbox to expect.
And then we get these kind of inspiring movie quality cinematics to go along with fun new features and additions.

So this one is going to have 4 pistols, expanded ship play including being able to board a ship during combat, deep water stuff, AND the rooftop city action from old to go along with the continuously evolving great combat engine, AND the newer tree running, dual wielding and stalking zones from AC3?
Who wouldn't want to play it, and soon?

I hope it isn't as buggy as AC3 too, but I still thought AC3 was great.

http://www.abload.de/img/ac_iv_3nganx.gif

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Face it, people...The number of sales isn't going down anytime soon..Who can blame the guy ?? AC III brought 12 mil...he`s right...annual releases did not hurt the franchise. as the CEO, sales are everything

silvermercy
03-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Face it, people...The number of sales isn't going down anytime soon..Who can blame the guy ?? AC III brought 12 mil...he`s right...annual releases did not hurt the franchise. as the CEO, sales are everything
This. Dedicated fans are usually found on game forums. Sales can be generated whether long-time dedicated fans buy it or not (and they probably will despite their complaining). So win-win for the CEO. ;)

Gil_217
03-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Terrible, terrible news. Couldn't be any worse really. This basically destroys any hope I still had that they would take a break after AC4. Not only will that not happen, but it looks like they are in full force with the annual releases.

A dark day in AC history.

pirate1802
03-30-2013, 01:03 PM

Sadly true.

:Pessimistbrofist:

d4st4n96
03-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Terrible, terrible news. Couldn't be any worse really. This basically destroys any hope I still had that they would take a break after AC4. Not only will that not happen, but it looks like they are in full force with the annual releases.

But you don't need to buy/play them annual, you know?
I started playing Assassin's Creed in 2008... then in 2010 I started AcII ...

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 01:05 PM
:pessimistbrofist:
YEAH

Pessifolife

pacmanate
03-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Sales are everything, quality isn't.

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 01:06 PM
But you don't need to buy/play them annual, you know?
I started playing Assassin's Creed in 2008... then in 2010 I started AcII ...
Did the quality of the product improve when you skipped a year ??

pirate1802
03-30-2013, 01:07 PM

xD I see what you are going to do there.

dxsxhxcx
03-30-2013, 01:18 PM

they seem to think games are wine that get better with time... :p

also if I'm "forced" to skip a year to enjoy a game, isn't this a side effect of the drop in quality of the game?

ZeSpecter
03-30-2013, 01:47 PM

Sadly true.

:Pessimistbrofist:

It's Easter, cheer up! :p

I don't see how yearly releases is such a problem, when they manage to deliver high quality games each year? I haven't had any bugs with AC3 whatsoever. I did have one in The Infamy where Connor froze on a fence while everything else moved, but no big deal that ruined the entire game. They also have multiple smaller teams that works on games separately, so the games have definitely been in development for more than 1 year like that guy said. The only thing that I could agree on is bad with yearly releases is that they may run out of ideas quicker.

dxsxhxcx
03-30-2013, 01:54 PM

I don't see how yearly releases is such a problem, when they manage to deliver high quality games each year?

some people think that the quality isn't the same as it used to be that's why they complain

ze_topazio
03-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Say what you want, like him or not, but ever since Patrice Désilets left, this series has not been the same and has lost its direction, now is all about putting together all the cool sounding ideas regardless if they work or not.

dxsxhxcx
03-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Say what you want, like him or not, but ever since Patrice Désilets left, this series has not been the same and has lost its direction, now is all about putting together all the cool sounding ideas regardless if they work or not.

even Patrice wouldn't be able to fix what's wrong if the higher ups don't give him enough creative freedom to work in the game, wasn't this the reason why he left?

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 02:11 PM
It`s not about Patrice -___-

Get that through your head..Patrice left when the higher ups COMMANDED him, had he stayed, this series was pretty much gonna "lose its direction" either way...When the other creative directors are given the same freedom Patrice had with AC I, more time and less pressure then come talk about Patrice, until then....NO

pacmanate
03-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Quantity > Quality

roostersrule2
03-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Quantity > QualityNo.

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 02:18 PM
No.
I`m not certain, but I think he`s joking...I think...I hope

roostersrule2
03-30-2013, 02:26 PM
I`m not certain, but I think he`s joking...I think...I hopeI pray.

ze_topazio
03-30-2013, 02:30 PM
It`s not about Patrice -___-

Get that through your head..Patrice left when the higher ups COMMANDED him, had he stayed, this series was pretty much gonna "lose its direction" either way...When the other creative directors are given the same freedom Patrice had with AC I, more time and less pressure then come talk about Patrice, until then....NO

That's no excuse, they can make all the yearly releases they want and still maintain the sense, it's their fault if they're including all kinds of random ideas that barely fit the series.

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I pray.
"While you pray, I act" -Our lord and savior Haytham Kenway

pacmanate
03-30-2013, 02:32 PM
I was joking :P Kinda. From a business standpoint if something sells and is bringing in money, why stop? However giving their teams a breather is fine and good, but what about the fans? Im sure im not the only one that wants a break. If I had a year break then I could get my hype back, now I just expect an AC game and when one is announced I don't feel surprised etc.

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 02:33 PM
That's no excuse, they can make all the yearly releases they want and still maintain the sense, it's their fault if they're including all kinds of random ideas that barely fit the series.
that`s no ex- What ????? It`s your subjective opinion what fits and what doesn't fit the series, but that`s not the case, we`re talking about the QUALITY and MAINSTREAM exposure of the product, that had nothing to with Patrice. We`re talking about factual complaints, not opinions. The general census is that the quality of the games has been dropping and there has been a SERIOUS lean on the direction of Linear, cinematic gameplay...HELL, Patrice`s last game had those, which is Brotherhood...

If Patrice DID stay, he would`v done the same exact thing to the series..NOTHING WOULD CHANGE and that`s why he left...he did not like being told what to do with his product..

I`ll say it again, LACK OF PATRICE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DECLINING QUALITY AND RIDICULOUS LINEARITY..

If you can`t get that through your head, then i`m sorry, but your delusional as hell

dxsxhxcx
03-30-2013, 02:35 PM

just to make things clear, "random ideas" in terms of story or gameplay (probably the second but just to be sure)?

well, some could say that they only include this random ideas because they don't have enough time to properly work in the game...

roostersrule2
03-30-2013, 02:38 PM
"While you pray, I act" -Our lord and savior Haytham Kenway*Your.

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 02:41 PM
*Your.
he`s yours too, stop denying it..

HE SAVED YOU

roostersrule2
03-30-2013, 02:43 PM
he`s yours too, stop denying it..

HE SAVED YOUNo, I was saved by Duncan Little and Batman.

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 02:46 PM
No, I was saved by Duncan Little and Batman.
I hate Batman D:

pacmanate
03-30-2013, 02:47 PM
I hate Batman D:

leave.

roostersrule2
03-30-2013, 02:50 PM
I hate Batman D:I hate you.

D.I.D.
03-30-2013, 02:56 PM

I don't see how yearly releases is such a problem, when they manage to deliver high quality games each year? I haven't had any bugs with AC3 whatsoever. I did have one in The Infamy where Connor froze on a fence while everything else moved, but no big deal that ruined the entire game. They also have multiple smaller teams that works on games separately, so the games have definitely been in development for more than 1 year like that guy said. The only thing that I could agree on is bad with yearly releases is that they may run out of ideas quicker.

It's not really about bugs. The games aren't high quality every year. We can't say they're "bad quality" without qualifying that: graphics are good, worlds are nice, animations are excellent. It's the notion of a game that's getting lost. It's becoming more and more about the passive side of entertainment than the engagement that a game should provide.

I'm tired of people talking about this as if it's a matter of opinion or taste, when it's beyond that now. Anyone who can't see how much better Dishonored was than ACR and AC3 has no business talking about the quality of games. It doesn't matter if you didn't love Dishonored's characters and atmosphere; look past the surface layer down to the mechanics and it's obvious that games like Dishonored engage a person's adrenalin, curiosity and problem-solving in a way that AC doesn't touch on anymore. Dishonored knows what it's central mission aspect ought to be, and if you're playing it to be like a ghost then every level becomes like a heist movie - not through cinematics, but through what you do. It knows that the thrill of an assassination is to be presented with lots of security and you then peel it down layer by layer, getting ever deeper into a dangerous situation.

By comparison with any genuinely good game, ACR and AC3 were so dry. At least AC3 has flashes of something different, and I did like it that if you wandered around a fort you could find a small gap in broken boards to creep through, or some overhanging branch, and naval battles provided some excitement. I just don't think the designers are being encouraged to think about the cities they're recreating anymore. I'm sure we've all seen heavy security on a government building and fleetingly daydreamed about how we might get inside if we were ninjas, noticing nearby rooftops, and the genius of the creators of AC1 was to put that feeling into a game in a way that forerunners like Tenchu and Thief hadn't quite managed to do. That's the aspect that ought to be front and centre every time they improve the games.

AC3 was this weird thing. I found it a touch disappointing when I finished it, expecting that surely a truly remarkable mission must be around the corner. Despite that, I felt it was decent if not great. Then I played the side content and my opinion of the game actually worsened. I tried playing the game again, and couldn't because it reminded me how little the designers wanted me to play it. It's the least game-like game I've ever bought, with ACR coming in as a close second. I'm not counting Dear Esther in that since it's honest about being just a story which uses a game engine, but nonetheless I've played that more times than I've played ACR and AC3 put together.

ZeldaEmblem
03-30-2013, 02:56 PM
I hate Batman D:

:O

i hate you !!

ze_topazio
03-30-2013, 03:37 PM
that`s no ex- What ????? It`s your subjective opinion what fits and what doesn't fit the series, but that`s not the case, we`re talking about the QUALITY and MAINSTREAM exposure of the product, that had nothing to with Patrice. We`re talking about factual complaints, not opinions. The general census is that the quality of the games has been dropping and there has been a SERIOUS lean on the direction of Linear, cinematic gameplay...HELL, Patrice`s last game had those, which is Brotherhood...

If Patrice DID stay, he would`v done the same exact thing to the series..NOTHING WOULD CHANGE and that`s why he left...he did not like being told what to do with his product..

I`ll say it again, LACK OF PATRICE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DECLINING QUALITY AND RIDICULOUS LINEARITY..

If you can`t get that through your head, then i`m sorry, but your delusional as hell

No, I'm saying the people responsible for the franchise at the moment can't make a coherent game, they just trow a bunch of random ideas in to a blender and hope things turn out okay, the higher ups have a certain influence but you can't blame them for everything, besides if the directors really cared they would ask the business men to STFU.

Where does Patrice fits in to this? Patrice is a ingenious game creator, the people handling the franchise at the moment? they're average at best, that's also why the series have become so linear, this people simply don't know how to make it better.

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 03:40 PM
-cut-
Your head seems so far up somewhere; You dont even know the basics of this industry...most of that is DEAD wrong and less than half of it is opinion. I`m not wasting my time here

ze_topazio
03-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Dude, you're delusional.

see, i can do that too.

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Dude, you're delusional.

see, i can do that too.
No, I actually gave proof and fact backed by observable elements and History, you; however, say that the developers should basically go to their employers and tell them "NO, we`re making the game our way" which just destroys any legitimacy your posts may have had

besides if the directors really cared they would ask the business men to STFU.

ze_topazio
03-30-2013, 04:09 PM
My point still stands, they have the right and perhaps duty to alert their bosses if they think the series is being ruined.

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 04:13 PM
My point still stands, they have the right and perhaps duty to alert their bosses if they think the series is being ruined.
No, your point falls apart, because a businessman`s priority is sales. the money. It makes them pay their employees, it pays them, more games, more employees, more Money...MAYBE the businessmen have a little corner in their heart where they care about the franchise and will heed a developer when he gives advice, but, honestly, you keep making Patrice god, but you never thought if MAYBE he DID warn the Businessmen and they said "we don't give a ****" and that`s why he left ???

That`s exactly why he left...the businessmen wont heed what a developer has to say, if they do heed it, it`ll be right before a little phrase called "you`re fired" Patrice did not wait for that and he left on his own

I`ll tell you a little story of a guy called Jean Francois Boivin...he was associate producer on Brotherhood. He had an Interview in October 2010 I think. He said that AC needs a little rest to breathe, guess what the CEO of Ubi Montreal said when asked to reply to that in another interview ?? "The producers can say what they want, but the decision is not up to them" and you know what happened to Boivin the next year ?? He was canned...

dxsxhxcx
03-30-2013, 04:16 PM

and then lose their jobs... they problably talk to their bosses about some issues but there aren't much they can do if their bosses refuse to listen, they're the ones who give the devs money for their projects after all...

SixKeys
03-30-2013, 04:19 PM
This guy is obviously basing his opinions purely on last year's sales of AC3, not what the long-time, dedicated fans of the series are actually saying. This is nothing more than marketing talk. He couldn't exactly come out and say "yeah, we know people are getting sick of the annual releases but it still brings in a lot of money". I do find it interesting that he chose this time to attempt to give a rebuttal to claims of milking the series. It seems Ubisoft are at least taking some notice of the general franchise fatigue and are doing their best to try and reassure people that the quality is still there, despite evidence to the contrary.

ze_topazio
03-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Exactly, they're doing it for the money, there's no love behind it, games like Metal Gear and Mario are always great because there's love and particularly talented people behind them, something that AC at the moment doesn't have, there's no love and there's no one particularly talented handling the series, i'm not making Patrice a god, he's no Miyamoto and no Kojima but he is a very talented creator, games like PoP Sands of Time and the first two AC prove that, what i meant is that the people doing the games right now are only average/decent creators and are doing it just for the money, AC at the moment lacks the touch of genius that games like MGS, Mario and the first two AC have.

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Exactly, they're doing it for the money, there's no love behind it, games like Metal Gear and Mario are always great because there's love and particularly talented people behind them, something that AC at the moment doesn't have, there's no love and there's no one particularly talented handling the series, i'm not making Patrice a god, he's no Miyamoto and no Kojima but he is a very talented creator, games like PoP Sands of Time and the first two AC prove that, what i meant is that the people doing the games right now are only average/decent creators and are doing it just for the money, AC at the moment lacks the touch of genius that games like MGS, Mario and the first two AC have.
*sigh* You`re out of touch with this world, mate..Not making Patrice a god ?? You`re doing a damm terrible job at it. had you read my posts properly and dropped worshiping Patrice for just one second, this conversation would not go as long as it had

I`m done here...

ze_topazio
03-30-2013, 04:56 PM
No, I'm the one done here, I'm not asking you to agree with me or anything, but you simply refuse to understand or tolerate other people opinions, think i don't know how this industry works? i was not making a deep analysis, just saying they should care more about the art and less about the money, can't a guy be a little idealistic around here?

roostersrule2
03-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Inb4 M starts up again.

kriegerdesgottes
03-30-2013, 04:58 PM
This quote is either incredibly blind to the truth or (more likely) just a redirection away from the core problem:

The issue that most fans have with the yearly release is that we, the fans are sick of it. We're the soil in that analogy, and many of us are getting sick of the same thing year after year. The rested status of the developers means nothing if the soil that is your fans needs a rest.

The earlier points about a year not giving enough time to implement feedback from the previous year's game is a major point. Also the story point about trying to write 2 different parts of a continuing story at the same time, while the earlier portion is still being modified. No wonder things have been incredibly disjointed and messy with the present-day storyline since Brotherhood.

And I know it's not necessarily set in stone, but do they really want to keep each installment a self-contained story from now on? That sounds like a good goal, but then what's the narrative thread that keeps people hungry for more? One of the reasons so many of us were so excited for AC3 was to see the conclusion of an ongoing story arc that had led us on for 5 years. If you don't even have that, I'm really not going to be very stoked to keep picking it up each year. I was excited for Revelations because I wanted story revelations way more than because of the same basic gameplay as the previous 2 years' games.

As for new fans coming in, are the new fans as dedicated as the old ones? I guess only time will tell. But it seems stupid to alienate a long-term fan like me from the franchise in exchange for a new fan. I was already a proven resource who would keep coming back for more, and bought side content like the comic books. Now they've lost that dedication from me and the side income they could have made in exchange for someone who may only stick around for a game or two. It seems like the long-time dedicated fans have a higher value than casual fans, but that's just me. Perhaps the new games are so great for new fans that they'll become dedicated fans like the ones that were alienated by Revelations and AC3.

Totally agree. Good post.

pirate1802
03-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Inb4 M starts up again.

Ready your fish!

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Inb4 M starts up again.
When I say i`m done, then i`m done..

roostersrule2
03-30-2013, 05:12 PM
When I say i`m done, then i`m done..Connor shows no emotion this is Ubisofts fault because Patrice left.

Assassin_M
03-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Connor shows no emotion this is Ubisofts fault because Patrice left.
http://gyazo.com/df2021f3931dba39616c4c7c626e21af.png?1364651500

ze_topazio
03-30-2013, 08:16 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcv1gqc9xI1r8h7mlo1_500.png

Megas_Doux
03-30-2013, 08:44 PM
His reasoning comes from the sales, and those numbers do not lie...However we see everywhere many people complaining about AC3, which at this rate, it will hurt the franchise. I would like to see new AC´s at least every two years. But on the other hand, I consider ACR and ACIII to be an improvement from my least favorite ACB, though.

PD AC3 despite its flaws, is my favorite in the franchise, and so does Connor. So from my personal point of view, "they" are underrated...

nunosilva13
03-30-2013, 09:06 PM
His reasoning comes from the sales, and those numbers do not lie...However we see everywhere many people complaining about AC3, which at this rate, it will hurt the franchise. I would like to see new AC´s at least every two years. But on the other hand, I consider ACR and ACIII to be an improvement from my least favorite ACB, though.

PD AC3 despite its flaws, is my favorite in the franchise, and so does Connor. So from my personal point of view, "they" are underrated...

I also think they are underrated... as well as i think ac2 and acb are both overrated (thought AcB is even more overrated then ac2).

AherasSTRG
03-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Annual release of games or software in general means nothing. Since Ubisoft has got the formula they need to create like 10 games, adding some new features every year, they can create a game pretty quickly. It's not much about the TIME they put in the game right now, rather mostly about the MONEY they put on it. Let alone the fact that they put many many people in the production of the game. People are just oblivious of the ways games and software in general is developed nowadays.

Gi1t
03-30-2013, 11:01 PM

Exactly, that's why I wish they'd at least have the different studios work on separate AC stories. Treating them like separate franchises with a similar theme might breathe a little more life into them and prevent any one story arc from being churned out annually.

I'd be a lot less annoyed with this if he would at least acknowledge that business/sales/stock values CAN in fact come into conflict with artistic development, and say they're trying to find a balance. That, at least would be an indicator that they could possibly do something about it. Even if they have a responsibility to keep the games on a steady schedule overall and keep investors happy, there may be ways to curtail the strain on the franchise.

But the fact that he's insisting that everything's just humming along perfectly and completely ignoring all the comments to the contrary is just rediculous. Most of the people calling them out on this BOUGHT THE LAST FEW GAMES, (I'm actually an exception to that rule), that means a sale does not necessarily represent a person who wants the annual releases to continue and doesn't think the series is getting strained.

Megas_Doux
03-30-2013, 11:11 PM
But the fact that he's insisting that everything's just humming along perfectly and completely ignoring all the comments to the contrary is just rediculous. Most of the people calling them out on this BOUGHT THE LAST FEW GAMES, (I'm actually an exception to that rule), that means a sale does not necessarily represent a person who wants the annual releases to continue and doesn't think the series is getting strained.

While the great sales persist, annual games will come up.....

Check out Tomb Raider, it wast until sales dropped considerably with Underworld, that the whole franchise was given a rest..... Resulting in this new revamped Tomb Raider saga.

Gi1t
03-30-2013, 11:21 PM
While the great sales persist, annual games will come up.....

Check out Tomb Raider, it wast until sales dropped considerably with Underworld, that the whole franchise was given a rest..... Resulting in this new revamped Tomb Raider saga.

They will, but that doesn't mean it has to replace Call of Duty as the quintessential 'game that gets churned out with year after year and gets less impressive with each passing moment'.

If they'd acknowledge that there's a significant risk of the series getting strained to that point, they would see that there are ways to spread the series out and get more quality into their finished products. As it is, they're becoming synonymous with 'big company that doesn't give a **** about the actual games it's making.' -__-

Megas_Doux
03-30-2013, 11:27 PM
I agree with you, but I have to admit that AC3, despite its flaws, is my favorite in the series.