PDA

View Full Version : I believe Assassins Creed will be done for in the next 5 years.

Sl1ckM4st3r
03-28-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm not trying to get banned or anything. I'm merely expressing my personal opinion. I believe that within the next 5 years the Assassins Creed franchise will be done for. Ubisoft has been milking this series to death since Assassins Creed 2 and they can only do that for so long. It just doesn't seem like as much passion is being put into these games anymore, which is disappointing to the least. They stretched the modern-day plot merely for the sake of being able to continue the series. Doesn't that say something? Do people WANT them to come up with things as they go, rather than stick to their original plan?

roostersrule2
03-28-2013, 07:53 AM
I think that the success of Watch Dogs will decide AC's future, so if WD does good they will slow down the yearly releases if not, well then AC will be gone in the next 5 years like you said.

pirate1802
03-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Just saying, you'll rarely find ANY longstanding series that remained exactly as it was planned fro start to finish. Usually they only have a blurred vision of how the ending will be, and they make things up as they go along. I understand a lot of gripe about AC but not the "making stuff up as they go along" argument. Everyone does that, its inevitable in any long-running story that was not created based on a book or movie.

Sl1ckM4st3r
03-28-2013, 07:55 AM
It just seems like most of their vision was lost after AC2.

Sl1ckM4st3r
03-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Just saying, you'll rarely find ANY longstanding series that remained exactly as it was planned fro start to finish. Usually they only have a blurred vision of how the ending will be, and they make things up as they go along. I understand a lot of gripe about AC but not the "making stuff up as they go along" argument. Everyone does that, its inevitable in any long-running story that was not created based on a book or movie.

The thing is that they did it purely for money, not for the fact of coming up with something new in the story. If there wasn't money involved, I doubt Brotherhood and Revelations would even exist. They are stretching out this franchise purely for the sake of getting money in their pockets. Can't they give it a little breathing time for once? Come out with DLC every couple of months?

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 07:58 AM
I believe that within the next 5 years the Assassins Creed franchise will be done for.
Alright lets analyze that bit..

Ubisoft has been milking this series to death since Assassins Creed 2 and they can only do that for so long.
Milking is a VERY broad term. I agree that they may be TRYING to milk it dry. Game every year and so on, BUT...is it dry yet ? That`s the thing...will it be dry in the next 5 years ? NO ONE can know that for sure...for all we know, they may abandon this yearly release system...the company is getting bigger, they`re making more games. Clashes will happen and other games they make WILL become popular. Watch dogs anyone ? Also, Far Cry is growing rapidly and it`s becoming immensely popular every time a game is made.

The next 5 years is a pretty bold prediction.

It just doesn't seem like as much passion is being put into these games anymore
because you only look at what you WANT to look at in each game. AC III is a powerhouse, never mind that it was not what you expected. It had passion all over it. The work put into it was scarily amazing. No product would be like AC III without passion.

and lets not mention them turning a 3DS game into a full fledged main console game in what ? 1 year ?? That`s not passion ? That`s passion at it`s finest.

which is disappointing to the least. They stretched the modern-day plot merely for the sake of being able to continue the series. Doesn't that say something? Do people WANT them to come up with things as they go, rather than stick to their original plan?
How do you know this was not their original plan? Proof or nope....not believing it

Sl1ckM4st3r
03-28-2013, 08:01 AM
I think that the success of Watch Dogs will decide AC's future, so if WD does good they will slow down the yearly releases if not, well then AC will be gone in the next 5 years like you said.

I don't think it's going to slow down any time soon. Next year, it's pretty much fact that there will be another Assassins Creed title. Jade Raymond even confirmed that Ubisoft Toronto were working on one. Do you REALLY think they're going to hold back on releasing that one? I don't think so.

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Next year, it's pretty much fact that there will be another Assassins Creed title..
Because they`v not released Watch Dogs yet -_-

pirate1802
03-28-2013, 08:05 AM
The thing is that they did it purely for money, not for the fact of coming up with something new in the story. If there wasn't money involved, I doubt Brotherhood and Revelations would even exist. They are stretching out this franchise purely for the sake of getting money in their pockets. Can't they give it a little breathing time for once? Come out with DLC every couple of months?

Everyone is doing it just for the money. These days sequels are made to make money, not because they came up with something nice. Just look at Battlefield 4, which is more like BF 3.5. Videogames are made for money by and large. The time when videogames used to be made cuz the devs had a good story to tell is long past.

But that's not my point. My point was this "they are making stuff as they go along" argument is not a very good one because its inevitable in any longstanding series. The endgame you imagined 10 years ago would hardly be the same as you get 10 years later. And it doesn't even matter wjhether in that period of 10 years you made 2 games or 200. Many things chop and change during the developmental process, ideas get thrown out, plots are readjusted. I'm sure more knowledgeable people would be able to tell you more. That "they are making stuff as they go along" is not a result of their milking the series, its a side-effect of making a long series. And its inevitable.

Sl1ckM4st3r
03-28-2013, 08:07 AM
How do you know this was not their original plan? Proof or nope....not believing it

http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/04/ubisoft-assassins-creed-always-been-planned-to-be-a-trilogy/

They never wanted to make SIX Assassins Creed games. Assassins Creed was ALWAYS planned to be a trilogy. They didn't plan all this new stuff for the franchise until they saw fit that the franchise would rake in a lot of money. Assassins Creed 3 was great looking and the cities were great. But what about the mission design and parts of the story? The story felt holey. Like they just snipped out parts. The transition to some different missions/cutscenes was done in an awkward way. I liked Connor more than Ezio, personally, but I just feel all this is true.

pirate1802
03-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Good thing then that they didn't follow the trilogy plan. AC is a goldmine of stories and plots. Would have hated to see it go just after 3 games.

Sl1ckM4st3r
03-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Good thing then that they didn't follow the trilogy plan. AC is a goldmine of stories and plots. Would have hated to see it go just after 3 games.

So after 30 games?

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 08:13 AM
http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/04/ubisoft-assassins-creed-always-been-planned-to-be-a-trilogy/

They never wanted to make SIX Assassins Creed games. Assassins Creed was ALWAYS planned to be a trilogy. They didn't plan all this new stuff for the franchise until they saw fit that the franchise would rake in a lot of money. Assassins Creed 3 was great looking and the cities were great. But what about the mission design and parts of the story? The story felt holey. Like they just snipped out parts. The transition to some different missions/cutscenes was done in an awkward way. I liked Connor more than Ezio, personally, but I just feel all this is true.
Ah you meant the trilogy plan. Alright, they never originally intended to make 6 games, but so what ?? So what if they make 200 games ? the number of games has nothing to do with quality drop or the like, it`s how many games in what years that does this and lets not talk about Money....They work and most likely are human, so they do it for the money...i mean duh, but you cannot blame the developers and say that their work is passionless, absolutely..

Doing ALL this is in this time frame IS passion and like I said, you only look at what YOU want to look at, not the entirety of what`s there

LoyalACFan
03-28-2013, 08:14 AM
I hope they'll slow down to one game every two years if Watch Dogs really takes off. IMO they need to remove the focus from the "ongoing" story and make each AC a cohesive, self-contained title with a complete narrative arc. From what I've heard, Black Flag appears to be a step in the right direction on this front, but I hope they continue the trend of having one BIG game per historical era rather than a single main title and a spin-off or two with the same character (the exception being Connor, because I think he wasn't used to his full potential in AC3).

But no, AC will not be gone within five years unless Black Flag totally jumps the shark (pun intended).

Sl1ckM4st3r
03-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Ah you meant the trilogy plan. Alright, they never originally intended to make 6 games, but so what ?? So what if they make 200 games ? the number of games has nothing to do with quality drop or the like, it`s how many games in what years that does this and lets not talk about Money....They work and most likely are human, so they do it for the money...i mean duh, but you cannot blame the developers and say that their work is passionless, absolutely..

Doing ALL this is in this time frame IS passion and like I said, you only look at what YOU want to look at, not the entirety of what`s there

I'm not completely blaming the developers. I blame the CEOs. They are the money-hungry people.

pirate1802
03-28-2013, 08:17 AM
So after 30 games?

Why not like 10 games? Do you have to go extremum one side or the other?

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm not completely blaming the developers. I blame the CEOs. They are the money-hungry people.
Fine, then do not dismiss the success of other Ubisoft games to influence the cycle of Assassins Creed....Money talks...Assassins Creed or not..sooner or later, the market will turn on them and they`ll be forced to slow down and eat from themselves, before someone else eats them up for dinner

xx-pyro
03-28-2013, 09:02 AM
When they release a game that wasn't worth what I spent on it I'll remember this thread. So far they haven't. Revelations came brutally close, but still worth my money I decided. ACIII was stellar despite it missing a few things.

saydrix12
03-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Assasin_M stop defending the game so much i think that it will be done in the next few years because its just Theyre releasing it yearly now and theyre saying " oh yeah we worked on black flag since brotherhood" Theyre lying and people believe them i dont know why would people believe in such ******** :/

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Assasin_M stop defending the game so much i think that it will be done in the next few years because its just Theyre releasing it yearly now and theyre saying " oh yeah we worked on black flag since brotherhood" Theyre lying and people believe them i dont know why would people believe in such ******** :/
You`v no information, you lack insight on the industry, you`re VERY generalizing, you`re speaking based on what you hear on the internet and you`re very childish...

Please, if you`ll argue something, at least try harder to make your post look mature...

and no, I`m not defending anything, i`m stating facts backed with viable proof..

saydrix12
03-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Tell me how am i childish by saying the game will be finished in the next few years :]

pirate1802
03-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Theyre lying and people believe them i dont know why would people believe in such ******** :/

Maybe, just maybe.. because they have realistic ideas about game development? Revelations featured just one city and it took almost a year to make it. AC 4 features three cities and a lot more locations. It would surely take more time.

Its a good idea to be critical of games, but you should do it properly and like a mature individual. :/

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Tell me how am i childish by saying the game will be finished in the next few years :]
That`s not childish...

this is

why would people believe in such ******** :/

and you put a little smile in there thinking "Yeah I got him now hehe" you`re so cute

saydrix12
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Ur fast to make assumptions how do you know that apparently that was my intention you dont cuz you dont know me :] And maybe i am a child there is nothing wrong with being a child is there ? :]

roostersrule2
03-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Ur fast to make assumptions how do you know that apparently that was my intention you dont cuz you dont know me :] And maybe i am a child there is nothing wrong with being a child is there ? :]There is when the child has stupid thoughts and opinions.

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Ur fast to make assumptions how do you know that apparently that was my intention you dont cuz you dont know me :] And maybe i am a child there is nothing wrong with being a child is there ? :]
What I know is that you insulted people you`re most likely NEVER going to meet for no reason, but your baseless speculation. and of course there`s nothing wrong with being a child, unless you put him in a room full of mature adults who are talking about a mature and professional subject and then tell the child to give his opinion on said subject.....then it`d be silly

saydrix12
03-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Im just saying what i think will happen to Assasins creed :) i dont know that you can hurt someones feelings on a forum >.<

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Im just saying what i think will happen to Assasins creed :)
you mean this ?

why would people believe in such ******** :/
Very good, mature and well-structured opinion...yes

ProletariatPleb
03-28-2013, 09:48 AM
you mean this ?

Very good, mature and well-structured opinion...yes
Offtopic but, M clear yer PM space laddie.

saydrix12
03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
The word that is hidden isnt actually that bad its Bull-szit i know its spelled diffrently :)

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
The word that is hidden isnt actually that bad its Bull-szit i know its spelled diffrently :)
Again, Very good, mature and well-structured opinion...yes

"Hey, professor I`m gonna give my opinion, what you say is ********"

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Offtopic but, M clear yer PM space laddie.
done

saydrix12
03-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Again, Very good, mature and well-structured opinion...yes

"Hey, professor I`m gonna give my opinion, what you say is ********"

You think youre so smart dont you ? :]

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 09:56 AM
You think youre so smart dont you ? :]
Miss Eman, is that you ?

(Miss Eman was my Kindergarten teacher, if anyone`s curious)

Yeah, I tend to think I`m a bit smart...oh please give me your opinion on THAT...do you think I`m smart ?

ArabianFrost
03-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Miss Eman, is that you ?

Yeah, I tend to think I`m a bit smart...oh please give me your opinion on THAT...do you think I`m smart ?

Yallaha men tofoola ma3azaba.

LoyalACFan
03-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Miss Eman, is that you ?

That's a terrible thing for a kindergarten teacher to say... :(

pirate1802
03-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Aw no.. not again :C

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Yallaha men tofoola ma3azaba.
sbeak english please, so that you and me do not go on vacation out of here :|

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 10:03 AM
That's a terrible thing for a kindergarten teacher to say... :(
Yeah.....she`s dead now :|

ProletariatPleb
03-28-2013, 10:04 AM
E-man! :O

AjinkyaParuleka
03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
I want AC to continue for the next 10 years or even more.The enjoyment it provides is unmentionable.The history it teaches us with every title,awesome,I bet even history textbooks can't beat AC is history.I never knew there was something called Golden Age of Piracy or Blackbeard was a real individual until AC came.I want AC to continue,and seriously,for such a good story I don't think a 3 year gap is good.The series would probably end with the death of Juno.
And how do you know they are lying that they said they're developing the game from brotherhood.ACIII was developed from the time ac2 release,they just spent 1 and half year on anvilnext engine.The 2 years time for Black Flag is enough since the Engine is done,I believe the next game would be awesome as hell.

ArabianFrost
03-28-2013, 10:11 AM
For me, I'd like the franchise to live as long as possible, even if the release time frame changes to every couple of years. How many Action/Adventure, stealth, historical games are there in the market? You guessed it, nearly NONE and because only AC can offer me the very unique experience of parkouring through 15th century Venice, I'd like it to live forever. Seriously, the possibilities are endless. Imagine all the eras and great historical times that are left untapped? Who will be left to explore them? Wouldn't it irk you to not be able to visit your time era, just because Ubisoft stopped making the games? Until now, Ubisoft seem like the only guys doing this genre, with no one else (apart from that vague 1666) doing or seems to have an intention to do a proper Action/Adventure, stealth, historical game.

A little sidenote, has anyone noticed that Ubisoft is following the list of eras in the poll?
First the American Revolution, then the beginning of the Spanish conquests in the Americas (AC4). Maybe they will go through some of the most voted historical eras for a few more games, then finally call it a day?

ArabianFrost
03-28-2013, 10:15 AM
sbeak english please, so that you and me do not go on vacation out of here :|

Okes, letz trull zem by sbeaken in evan mur unvazomable egebtshan accent. Tortsher Shildhud by Mezez eman.

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Okes, letz trull zem by sbeaken in evan mur unvazomable egebtshan accent. Tortsher Shildhud by Mezez eman.
Mezez ? dayum, man...that`s...that`s not cool, bro... :|

ArabianFrost
03-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Mezez ? dayum, man...that`s...that`s not cool, bro... :|

Ded I say samsing wrung? Mrs. = Mezez

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Ded I say samsing wrung? Mrs. = Mezez
no, she waz a meeeeees actually....you know "meeeeeeeees meeeeeeees, he hit me" you know ??

ArabianFrost
03-28-2013, 10:32 AM
no, she waz a meeeeees actually....you know "meeeeeeeees meeeeeeees, he hit me" you know ??

All of zem are Liarz zat will go to fiarz. It was in 4th brimary when it woz reveled to me zat many were actually el mezez, but zey don't say it. Zay ma bey2olo keda fe America, enta 3amalolak rick roll'd.

roostersrule2
03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
no, she waz a meeeeees actually....you know "meeeeeeeees meeeeeeees, he hit me" you know ??You mean "oh but meeeeeeeeees I didn't mean to hit him", hehe.

ProletariatPleb
03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Why are you guys derailing topic?

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
why did you create a duplicate thread ? Sleeping is not an excuse

ArabianFrost
03-28-2013, 10:36 AM

I did actually state my opinion somewhere up there, it just seems that no one wants to add anything. I would have stopped on the spot if we were interrupting some deep conversation, buy nothing is happening. Talk about the subject people, it's very important. (No sarcasm intended)

Sushiglutton
03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
I would be shocked if AC is gone in 5 years. AC3 sold >12M, by far the most in the franchise I believe (I think the others sold like 7M). And even if there is a major dip in sales in a couple of years, I don't think they will kill the franchise. Then they can do the break everyone is talking about, lick their wounds and come back strronger. But given the number of units this juggernaught ships every year you can't really blame them for yearly releases (I mean I would have done the same).

And the reason is ofc that AC offers something that no other franchise do. Ubi has basically monopoly on history action/adventure videogames, which is a huge genre in other mediums like movies and literature. When people want a game set in a specific era they usually come to this board (or elsewhwere) and beg Ubi to set an AC game there, because Ubi is the only company that can reasonably do it. That's power! There is a broad appeal for this type of content and that appeal will not die.

Btw I love Meze :D!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Petra_metzes.jpg/800px-Petra_metzes.jpg

ArabianFrost
03-28-2013, 10:49 AM
I would be shocked if AC is gone in 5 years. AC3 sold >12M, by far the most in the franchise I believe (I think the others sold like 7M). And even if there is a major dip in sales in a couple of years, I don't think they will kill the franchise. Then they can do the break everyone is talking about, lick their wounds and come back strronger. But given the number of units this juggernaught ships every year you can't really blame them for yearly releases (I mean I would have done the same).

And the reason is ofc that AC offers something that no other franchise do. Ubi has basically monopoly on history action/adventure videogames, which is a huge genre in other mediums like movies and literature. When people want a game set in a specific era they usually come to this board (or elsewhwere) and beg Ubi to set an AC game there, because Ubi is the only company that can reasonably do it. That's power! There is a broad appeal for this type of content and that appeal will not die.

Btw I love Meze :D!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Petra_metzes.jpg/800px-Petra_metzes.jpg
So to sum it up, it will suffer the same fate as Prince of Persia but at a later time than its counter-part. AC will prevail as a lonely giant in its bubble of a unique genre, until the big boys come in with clones of AC that seem to appeal to the same people but with slightly different mechanics that people may or may not like. Sort of like how PoP started to die when more great Hack & Slash /Puzzle games were introduced to the industry. If that is the case we can expect AC to stay strong for a few more years, go into hiatus, then BAM, AC reboot is on the way. For me that seems like the most pleasing and probable direction.

Sushiglutton
03-28-2013, 10:59 AM
So to sum it up, it will suffer the same fate as Prince of Persia but at a later time than its counter-part. AC will prevail as a lonely giant in its bubble of a unique genre, until the big boys come in with clones of AC that seem to appeal to the same people but with slightly different mechanics that people may or may not like. Sort of like how PoP started to die when more great Hack & Slash /Puzzle games were introduced to the industry. If that is the case we can expect AC to stay strong for a few more years, go into hiatus, then BAM, AC reboot is on the way. For me that seems like the most pleasing and probable direction.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking too. The market is there, only thing that can force AC out is a competitor. However going up against AC would take an enormous investment and it's not easily done (PoP is obv technically a much simpler franchise). Only game I heard of that may have been an attempt at this is 1666... Ubi is the big boy!

I would love to see some competition. If someone could do similar types of setting, but with stronger gameplay that would be awesome. That would push Ubi to evolve AC and make it more play-friendly. But I doubt this will happen in the coming five years even.

ArabianFrost
03-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking too. The market is there, only thing that can force AC out is a competitor. However going up against AC would take an enormous investment and it's not easily done (PoP is obv technically a much simpler franchise). Only game I heard of that may have been an attempt at this is 1666... Ubi is the big boy!

I would love to see some competition. If someone could do similar types of setting, but with stronger gameplay that would be awesome. That would push Ubi to evolve AC and make it more play-friendly. But I doubt this will happen in the coming five years even.

Especially that 1666 is now Ubisoft property, no competition can be see. Square Enix can't afford any new IP with their turmoil, DICE is focusing on Mirror's Edge, Arkane probably are working on Dishonoured 2, leaving most studios with potential and experience relative to the genre out of the equation. Just like M said, Ubisoft will eat themselves before someone dines on them. 1666 may not be the parkouring experience that is AC, but it still may be a unique, enjoyable historical game as well and I wouldn't mind having it untill AC reboots from hiatus.

shobhit7777777
03-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Frequent successive instalments =/= declining quality....always

I have no problems if Ubi keeps milking the AC teat as long as they put out awesome titles. In that case they deserve my money.

Look at GTA and Halo

The two franchises have put out a LOT of games....granted the gap between them was more than 6-8 months...but they have consistently delivered awesome games (Generally well received critcally and commercially)

That said

AC is stagnating in the core areas but mutating in all the wrong directions.......

TheHumanTowel
03-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Frequent successive instalments =/= declining quality....always

I have no problems if Ubi keeps milking the AC teat as long as they put out awesome titles. In that case they deserve my money.

Look at GTA and Halo

The two franchises have put out a LOT of games....granted the gap between them was more than 6-8 months...but they have consistently delivered awesome games (Generally well received critcally and commercially)

That said

AC is stagnating in the core areas but mutating in all the wrong directions.......
Difference is Halo has put out 6 games over 11 years and since GTA3 Rockstar has put out 5 GTA games over 12 years. AC has put out 6 games in 7 years.

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Difference is Halo has put out 6 games over 11 years and since GTA3 Rockstar has put out 5 GTA games over 12 years. AC has put out 6 games in 7 years.
I think he acknowledged that

TheHumanTowel
03-28-2013, 11:52 AM
I think he acknowledged that
He acknowledged it but I still don't think that makes it a valid comparison. That time difference is significant.

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
He acknowledged it but I still don't think that makes it a valid comparison. That time difference is significant.
He said that numerous installments =/= quality drops and provided GTA and Halo as examples, but acknowledged that they had larger gaps between each installment....I don't see how that`s not valid, it only proves that more games indeed =/= guaranteed quality drop...

ShadowFiend1993
03-28-2013, 12:00 PM
The thing is that they did it purely for money, not for the fact of coming up with something new in the story. If there wasn't money involved, I doubt Brotherhood and Revelations would even exist.

If there wasn't money involved, I doubt Assassin's Creed would exist at all.

TheHumanTowel
03-28-2013, 12:04 PM
He said that numerous installments =/= quality drops and provided GTA and Halo as examples, but acknowledged that they had larger gaps between each installment....I don't see how that`s not valid, it only proves that more games indeed =/= guaranteed quality drop...
Yeah and I'm saying that the difference between the 3 series with their numerous installments is that two of them have their games spread out over more than a decade while AC crammed all it's into 7 years. Numerous games =/= definite drop in quality, Numerous Annual games= probable drop in quality. That's the difference.

shobhit7777777
03-28-2013, 12:05 PM

But does that somehow negate the fact that they've been pumping out games consistently every 2-3 years? That their quality has declined as one would suspect given that they technically ARE milking it?

And didn't AC3 and AC2 have longer dev times? IIRC ACR was the shortest (dev time) game and that was what?..just over year?

Either way

The AC franchise is not being exhausted because it is being pumped out or milked...it is being exhausted because the overall evolution in gameplay is stagnant and the series has gotten a severe case of schizophrenia....economy, tomb raiding, pirate ships, hunting...while 'fun' are secondary to the 'ASSASSIN' experience IMO

Heck I wouldn't mind all the above stuff if they had sorted out mission design by the time ACR came out. But still...

The thing is Halo and GTA 4 keep the core and yet innovate within that....Halo is an excellent example of a familiar experience being refreshed every iteration.

The way I see it you can go about it two ways -

1. Keep adding and refining the core formula - Halo, GTA, MGS

2. Do something completely new within the franchise which keeps the base core but is entirely fresh - Splinter Cell Conviction...the core is the same Light and Shadow stealth gameplay..but a new spin on it

Assassin's Creed is doing neither

It TRIED it with AC3 - a more aggressive, predatory Assassin experience....which didn't really make a difference because the systems which support such a concept were ****ed up the bumhole - AI, mission design, narrative freedom.

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 12:08 PM
But does that somehow negate the fact that they've been pumping out games consistently every 2-3 years? That their quality has declined as one would suspect given that they technically ARE milking it?

And didn't AC3 and AC2 have longer dev times? IIRC ACR was the shortest (dev time) game and that was what?..just over year?

Either way

The AC franchise is not being exhausted because it is being pumped out or milked...it is being exhausted because the overall evolution in gameplay is stagnant and the series has gotten a severe case of schizophrenia....economy, tomb raiding, pirate ships, hunting...while 'fun' are secondary to the 'ASSASSIN' experience IMO

Heck I wouldn't mind all the above stuff if they had sorted out mission design by the time ACR came out. But still...

The thing is Halo and GTA 4 keep the core and yet innovate within that....Halo is an excellent example of a familiar experience being refreshed every iteration.

The way I see it you can go about it two ways -

1. Keep adding and refining the core formula - Halo, GTA, MGS

2. Do something completely new within the franchise which keeps the base core but is entirely fresh - Splinter Cell Conviction...the core is the same Light and Shadow stealth gameplay..but a new spin on it

Assassin's Creed is doing neither

It TRIED it with AC3 - a more aggressive, predatory Assassin experience....which didn't really make a difference because the systems which support such a concept were ****ed up the bumhole - AI, mission design, narrative freedom.
was going to post something similar, but this one should be enough

shobhit7777777
03-28-2013, 12:19 PM
was going to post something similar, but this one should be enough

Hopefully

Legendz54
03-28-2013, 12:47 PM
if this turns out to be true well at least we enjoyed it for another 5 years, I can almost guarantee that when the AC franchise finally ends 98% of the fanbase will be crying and saying they miss stabbing people.

Gi1t
03-28-2013, 04:53 PM
I think their problems came from stretching out the Desmond saga and trying unnecessarily to get more mileage out of it than what was originally planned. I think it would have been a lot better to let the first saga run its course and get other studios working on different sagas altogether. AC succeeded very quickly in creating a vast, open base from which countless ideas and stories could be created. It seemed like in 2009 they just lost their perspective on the vast possibilities of what they had in AC and Prince of Persia and they just became concerned with perpetuating the material they already had. My guess is that what has protected AC somewhat is the fact that there are still plenty of passionate designers in there doing the best with whatever stupid corporate decisions they're stuck working with. I think they had a very rich future set up and the people higher up were too afraid to let them follow through with it the way they wanted to. -__-

Rugterwyper32
03-28-2013, 05:27 PM
My personal hope is that after AC4, they start making space for Watch Dogs and Far Cry sequels or the such between games, and give a long enough dev time to all 3 series. One thing I'm convinced of is that the bombing of PoP2008 (which is sad, as it was a great game) was pivotal on the decision to come up with Brotherhood and Revelations. I still wish that they had stuck to the original plan, 1 AC, 1 PoP.
So yeah, that's my take on it. I've liked the recent games, but it's undeniable that longer dev times could only benefit the games.

lothario-da-be
03-28-2013, 06:19 PM
I'am loling so hard at the OP, just look at cod and fifa how long do those franchises exist? And a new ac has a new setting,new stories,new game mechanics, better graphics...
So no, i don't see ac stopping in the next 5 years.

Gi1t
03-28-2013, 06:37 PM
My personal hope is that after AC4, they start making space for Watch Dogs and Far Cry sequels or the such between games, and give a long enough dev time to all 3 series. One thing I'm convinced of is that the bombing of PoP2008 (which is sad, as it was a great game) was pivotal on the decision to come up with Brotherhood and Revelations. I still wish that they had stuck to the original plan, 1 AC, 1 PoP.
So yeah, that's my take on it. I've liked the recent games, but it's undeniable that longer dev times could only benefit the games.

Actually, it didn't really bomb at all. It did as well as the previous Prince of Persia game. -__- And that's considering how limited it was. How they lost the guts to continue with it at a pivotal moment is beyond me, but if I had to guess, it was probably a greedy overestimation of how much money a rather simple game should have made. I actually think it performed better than they should have expected, considering how few games survive primarily on their stories. A surprising number of critics saw the charm and potential in it too. But they were too blinded by their puffed-up expectations to realize they'd stumbled upon things very few other games have. I wish they'd stuck with alternating releases too. :(

@lothario-da-be: True, endless milking doesn't seem to be a self-arresting process. XD

lothario-da-be
03-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Actually, it didn't really bomb at all. It did as well as the previous Prince of Persia game. -__- And that's considering how limited it was. How they lost the guts to continue with it at a pivotal moment is beyond me, but if I had to guess, it was probably a greedy overestimation of how much money a rather simple game should have made. I actually think it performed better than they should have expected, considering how few games survive primarily on their stories. A surprising number of critics saw the charm and potential in it too. But they were too blinded by their puffed-up expectations to realize they'd stumbled upon things very few other games have. I wish they'd stuck with alternating releases too. :(

@lothario-da-be: True, endless milking doesn't seem to be a self-arresting process. XD
Sometimes i feel like i'am the only pop fan who doesn't like pop 2008.

Gi1t
03-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Sometimes i feel like i'am the only pop fan who doesn't like pop 2008.

Only if you're hanging around on the forums. :D Let's face it, if people liked it they're gonna be wondering where that sequel is.

Bastiaen
03-28-2013, 07:40 PM
@OP, it's certainly possible, but I doubt it. It would be sad, but we have numerous great AC games as it is.

Bastiaen
03-28-2013, 07:42 PM
If there wasn't money involved, I doubt Assassin's Creed would exist at all.

Um, yeah. They're not going to invest all their work hours for free then are they? Or would there be adverts for other games hanging up instead of wanted posters? Kinda reminds me of the product placement in Splinter Cell Conviction, which I think was a great call for a modern game.

HeedfulMass4856
03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
This series probably has a good 3-4 more years.

TheHumanTowel
03-28-2013, 07:52 PM

Shame they decided to go back to the last Prince for no reason to cash in on the movie. The great world they crafted in PoP 2008 is just going to waste.

nunosilva13
03-28-2013, 09:20 PM

Ac1 had passion.
Ac2 had passion.

AcB and AcR had money.

Ac3 had presure (because of AcB and AcR)

Plus, i think that Ac3 is something like Ac1. An awsome idea badly executed.

While Ac1 was my favourite because of the main missions (there are only 12 main missions - prologue - 9 assassinations - asurf - al-muhalim) and the story (mostly made by awsome speeches/dialogues). And Ac3 was my 2nd favourite because of the art direction and gameplay (my only problem was with the random animations some missions had connor doing - like when you teach your friend how to hunt - sorry can't writte his name xDDD).

However, Ac2 had a "perfect" mixture of both. Awsome gameplay (thought not as realistic graphics as Ac1) and awsome story and mission design.

And even if Ac3 had passion - witch i don't doubt it had - i still think it could have been done better...

HeedfulMass4856
03-28-2013, 09:37 PM
This "Kenway Saga" bullshat is going to kill the serious like snake venom as well. Why does Ubisoft think we want to spend a "saga" playing in the same time periods (16th and 17th century most likely) or that we want to play as a Kenway every dámn game. Ubisoft is making a terrible decision with this Kenway Saga. How about taking to game to various time periods (Ancient Egypt, or the time during Julius Ceasar's assassination). Ubisoft is so afraid to take the series any further back than the 10th century.

That's what's really going to kill the series: Ubisoft being afraid to take the series back into ancient history, and this Kenway Saga crap.

kriegerdesgottes
03-28-2013, 10:22 PM
I have to say, even as a gigantic fan of the series since the very beginning, I doubt it will be that popular in 5 years as well. I am still not even totally sure I am going to buy AC4. Not much about it appeals to me. I've allowed Ubisoft to fool me into thinking the last two games would be amazing and neither one of them were all that great and now Assassin's Creed is a pirate game. I think it's time to say goodbye to Assassin's Creed. All good things come to an end I guess. Maybe 1666 will have that same awesomeness that AC once had.

LoyalACFan
03-28-2013, 11:35 PM
This "Kenway Saga" bullshat is going to kill the serious like snake venom as well. Why does Ubisoft think we want to spend a "saga" playing in the same time periods (16th and 17th century most likely) or that we want to play as a Kenway every dámn game. Ubisoft is making a terrible decision with this Kenway Saga. How about taking to game to various time periods (Ancient Egypt, or the time during Julius Ceasar's assassination). Ubisoft is so afraid to take the series any further back than the 10th century.

That's what's really going to kill the series: Ubisoft being afraid to take the series back into ancient history, and this Kenway Saga crap.

For Christ's sake, this logic nearly kills me every time I hear it...

The Kenway Saga refers to Black Flag, Forsaken, and AC3. Edward, Haytham, and Connor. It has NEVER been implied that they intend to continue with the Kenways past AC4. Do you honestly think they'd even be hinting at what ACV was about at this point? And that would be more than a hint; more like a massive ****ing spoiler.

Assassin_M
03-29-2013, 02:55 AM
Ac1 had passion.
Ac2 had passion.

AcB and AcR had money.

Ac3 had presure (because of AcB and AcR)

Plus, i think that Ac3 is something like Ac1. An awsome idea badly executed.

While Ac1 was my favourite because of the main missions (there are only 12 main missions - prologue - 9 assassinations - asurf - al-muhalim) and the story (mostly made by awsome speeches/dialogues). And Ac3 was my 2nd favourite because of the art direction and gameplay (my only problem was with the random animations some missions had connor doing - like when you teach your friend how to hunt - sorry can't writte his name xDDD).

However, Ac2 had a "perfect" mixture of both. Awsome gameplay (thought not as realistic graphics as Ac1) and awsome story and mission design.

And even if Ac3 had passion - witch i don't doubt it had - i still think it could have been done better...
like I said, you`re only considering and looking at elements in each game that YOU want to see. You do not consider that Revelations was a 3DS game, but was transformed completely in less than a year of development, that AC III had the most advanced Animations (if you hear how people at GDC talked about it, you`d understand) how they developed an engine for the game that included weather, said animations and better utilization of ancient hardware and ALL this had to happen in a little under 3 years.

Brotherhood also started as a DLC, earlier it was actually a part of AC II, but commands from above stated that they have to make it a stand alone game and they did. it was polished, well designed and generally a good game in one year`s time.

I`m not condoning any of these actions, but Revelations and Brotherhood, to the developers, had passion. (Duh they want money...they work, who doesn't want money for work, but you get my point)

pirate1802
03-29-2013, 03:58 AM
LOL @ people saying if there was no money involved there'd be no AC. That moneh and greed is the root of all evil bla bla bla.

If there was no money involved we'd be playing zero games today, AC or not. Accept it, money is the driving force behind ANY modern-day game not just AC. You think 2K made Bio Infinite just to tell an artsy story or do you think Sqeenix made Tomb Raider out of the goodness of their heart?

Also for people pissed at "Kenway saga". People ate up three games on the SAME ancestor, what makes you think they'll not do the same for different ancestors? In any case they haven't yet even hinted that the next game will be a Kenway one anyway.

catkiller97
03-29-2013, 04:15 AM
like I said, you`re only considering and looking at elements in each game that YOU want to see. You do not consider that Revelations was a 3DS game, but was transformed completely in less than a year of development, that AC III had the most advanced Animations (if you hear how people at GDC talked about it, you`d understand) how they developed an engine for the game that included weather, said animations and better utilization of ancient hardware and ALL this had to happen in a little under 3 years.

Brotherhood also started as a DLC, earlier it was actually a part of AC II, but commands from above stated that they have to make it a stand alone game and they did. it was polished, well designed and generally a good game in one year`s time.

I`m not condoning any of these actions, but Revelations and Brotherhood, to the developers, had passion. (Duh they want money...they work, who doesn't want money for work, but you get my point)

Hug :)