PDA

View Full Version : Ac iv - hud

apresmode
03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
I know we don't have that much information on gameplay, and that our suggestions are probably not listened to at this stage in the game. However, I'd like to see what you guys would like to see in the HUD.

In AC3, even when you turned off the HUD the money section was still there. It was maddening for me. The cutscene Press B to exit thing was annoying too. And having the SSID tied to location markers and specific gameplay sections seemed like a gross oversight.

I just got done playing the new Tomb Raider game and was blown away at how gorgeous it looked, and it was in large part due to the minimal HUD. The screen is just so uncluttered, and the maps are so unique it's easy to get around them without having to stare at a minimap. It was a welcome change. I went back into AC3 to play the ToKW second chapter and was assaulted by the mass of info on the screen.

Do you agree that the HUD needs to change?
What could they do to improve it?
Do you play without the HUD?
Does the game need to be changed in order to make HUDless play more viable?

I for one would like to see the health bar removed entirely, and go to system like Tomb Raider or Red Dead Redemption where the screen gets increasingly disorienting with blood, red, black and white, or some audio or camera movement cues.

I think the maps should look unique so that it's more fun to explore and learn your way around withoutthe map if you choose to play that way. In AC3 it seemed like the compass directions were off too, but I could be wrong about that. By that I mean I thought the sun rose and set in the wrong direction.

Economy is not that important in the games so there's no reason to have to see the amount of money you have at all times. In shops and in the menu is just fine.

oh well theres my two cents. What do you think?

Locopells
03-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Quite simply, have it so you can turn on/off each section of the HUD - then you can have what you want.

I for one would like to see the health bar removed entirely, and go to system like Tomb Raider or Red Dead Redemption where the screen gets increasingly disorienting with blood, red, black and white, or some audio or camera movement cues.

It already does that, when you get very low.

SaintPerkele
03-27-2013, 02:46 PM
No. Don't make AC even more casual. Keep the health bar. The screen is already getting grey and red when you're hurt, so you can just turn it off.

Seriously, I hate games without health bars. Where you don't know exactly how much more you can take. Where you just have to hide somewhere and are at full health again. Ugh.

SixKeys
03-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Health bar should stay, especially now that they made it more elegant in AC3 than in previous titles.

I think the HUD is pretty good as it is. The only things I would change is being able to turn off money and make the weapon icons smaller. The weapon selection screen itself needs far more work than the HUD. It's not nearly as efficient as in AC2-ACR.

The only AC game I play completely without HUD is the first one. The others are simply too big so I always keep at least the mini-map on. I also like to turn off enemy SSI, but in AC3 this would make the game ridiculously annoying due to the broken detection system.

Jack_Pirate
03-27-2013, 07:51 PM
I would like to know how many knots I am travelling while on the Jackdaw. Just so i know how fast i am going. Maybe crew morale during a naval battle too or something. Idk

lothario-da-be
03-27-2013, 07:53 PM
I would like to know how many knots I am travelling while on the Jackdaw. Just so i know how fast i am going. Maybe crew morale during a naval battle too or something. Idk
Morale would be cool, it should work like in total war games.