PDA

View Full Version : Might & magic 10 expectations

vepris
03-27-2013, 07:24 AM
Might & Magic had been my favorite game and in a way it still is. When I think for a moment there are certain things that makes it different than other games. I hope UBISOFT putts enought effort to make MM X a great game.

Things that was good in previous M&M games in my opinion:

- Complex skill system with ability to do specific quests to advance in skill tree(M&M8)
- Very detailed and huge Magic skill system with many different schools(actually there is a lot of info about magic, spells, magic schools in the series. Of course I consider M&M8 system the best. Then MOMM3 system)
- Units was made in HOMM III style(As I have seen it is widely seen in forums that people like that particular game: HOMM3)
- There were many factions and cities for different factions(M&M8: Necromancer city, Ogre city, Knight and dragon cities, Wizard city )
- It was possible to go to locations where huge armies concentrated and constant constant war was taking place. (M&M8: Knight+ Dragon army was fighting with Nagas, Pirates were fighting with initial island guards, basically every city had guards and were attacked by some force at random time moments)
- Possibility to go in fights with huge armies(not by doing everything alone)
- There were a lot of units on the map(cities seemed to be full of units, it would be interesting to see crowded cities and many hostile, neutral, friendly units on free-map)
- Posibility to trade, buy, deliver stuff to different cities and sell for better price
- Fact that monster strength was the same at the beginning of the game and at the end of the game(Made player flee from some stronger monsters at certain locations at certain points of game time- that made more fun and interest exploring areas that made player feral endangered: this interacted with trading: you had to go thrue map where are units that are stronger than player and you had option to risk- trade in highly profitable areas, cities, not to trade, choose different stuff to trade in areas where monsters are with more similar stats than player has)
-Posibility to fly
-Posibility to be forced to explore locations to know where is the skill master that you want to advance in is
-Secret islands, caves, cities that is hard or impossible to find without having skill: flying, breathing under wather.
-Many cities
-Many different monsters- not like today's average game: has 3-5 different hostile units that you have to chalenge for gameplay 80 - 100 h
-Dragons: not 1 or 5, but armies of dragons. Actually there was dragon faction in (M&M8). Many different looking(not just same 3D model and different color) flying dragons
-Secret quests for treasure

In RPG games many companies are gathering a lot of feedback from the fans. I supose that would be good practice in this game as well.

Input could be arranged by posting some
-units,
-factions,
-style and feal of faction
and allowing people to rate which units are more preferable. Good thing would be to allow fans to rate in which direction to head with unit style by posting existing graphics, models from game series: Post units from HOMM3, HOMM4, HOMM5 M&M6 M&M7, M&M8.

Personally I think that HOMM3 had best unit design. HOMM5 Angels did not seem acceptable for me at all. Maybe I am alone with that opinion. Maybe it would be good that wider amount of fans can vote in which direction units and factions should advance.
In early heroes series there were more dragons and units were more from European mythology, in HOMM6: Asian race... Actually It would be interesting to see results if many people voted for the factions and units.

It would be interesting to see what other people expect from new game.

Of course it is much cheaper to put existing HOMM 6 units on the map and compile a game, but will it be that users want- that would be determined when there will be release. Maybe there is a chance to see what users want before game is released.?

Ryan.Jenkins
03-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Might & Magic had been my favorite game and in a way it still is. When I think for a moment there are certain things that makes it different than other games. I hope UBISOFT putts enought effort to make MM X a great game.

Things that was good in previous M&M games in my opinion:

- Complex skill system with ability to do specific quests to advance in skill tree(M&M8)
- Very detailed and huge Magic skill system with many different schools(actually there is a lot of info about magic, spells, magic schools in the series. Of course I consider M&M8 system the best. Then MOMM3 system)
- Units was made in HOMM III style(As I have seen it is widely seen in forums that people like that particular game: HOMM3)
- There were many factions and cities for different factions(M&M8: Necromancer city, Ogre city, Knight and dragon cities, Wizard city )
- It was possible to go to locations where huge armies concentrated and constant constant war was taking place. (M&M8: Knight+ Dragon army was fighting with Nagas, Pirates were fighting with initial island guards, basically every city had guards and were attacked by some force at random time moments)
- Possibility to go in fights with huge armies(not by doing everything alone)
- There were a lot of units on the map(cities seemed to be full of units, it would be interesting to see crowded cities and many hostile, neutral, friendly units on free-map)
- Posibility to trade, buy, deliver stuff to different cities and sell for better price
- Fact that monster strength was the same at the beginning of the game and at the end of the game(Made player flee from some stronger monsters at certain locations at certain points of game time- that made more fun and interest exploring areas that made player feral endangered: this interacted with trading: you had to go thrue map where are units that are stronger than player and you had option to risk- trade in highly profitable areas, cities, not to trade, choose different stuff to trade in areas where monsters are with more similar stats than player has)
-Posibility to fly
-Posibility to be forced to explore locations to know where is the skill master that you want to advance in is
-Secret islands, caves, cities that is hard or impossible to find without having skill: flying, breathing under wather.
-Many cities
-Many different monsters- not like today's average game: has 3-5 different hostile units that you have to chalenge for gameplay 80 - 100 h
-Dragons: not 1 or 5, but armies of dragons. Actually there was dragon faction in (M&M8). Many different looking(not just same 3D model and different color) flying dragons
-Secret quests for treasure

In RPG games many companies are gathering a lot of feedback from the fans. I supose that would be good practice in this game as well.

Input could be arranged by posting some
-units,
-factions,
-style and feal of faction
and allowing people to rate which units are more preferable. Good thing would be to allow fans to rate in which direction to head with unit style by posting existing graphics, models from game series: Post units from HOMM3, HOMM4, HOMM5 M&M6 M&M7, M&M8.

Personally I think that HOMM3 had best unit design. HOMM5 Angels did not seem acceptable for me at all. Maybe I am alone with that opinion. Maybe it would be good that wider amount of fans can vote in which direction units and factions should advance.
In early heroes series there were more dragons and units were more from European mythology, in HOMM6: Asian race... Actually It would be interesting to see results if many people voted for the factions and units.

It would be interesting to see what other people expect from new game.

Of course it is much cheaper to put existing HOMM 6 units on the map and compile a game, but will it be that users want- that would be determined when there will be release. Maybe there is a chance to see what users want before game is released.?

I'm a huge fan of M&M games, and really thought Blood and Honor (MM7) was the best.Things I think are good:
-I love the item system- the variety, and the descriptions, plus the difference between artifacts and relics, and how they could be found randomly (in fact, how you couldn't just get a guide to the exact location of any artifact).
-The puzzles were fun because it wasn't a game entirely about puzzles, but they were there when they made sense.
-The leveling up system - skill points- and the class trees I thought were a great touch. Having to track people down to do quests to advance, and the sheer opportunity for parodying or making allusions to other works of fiction or the real world are nearly endless.
-The ability to mix and match races and classes- one of the few things I didn't like about MM8 was that there that each race was a class, not a separate thing. I mean, why can't I play a dark elf necromancer or a dwarf cleric?
-The sheer number of NPC's walking around, many for hire, was a great touch, as previously mentioned
-Also as previously mentioned, the variety of monsters (a huge selling point, as it adds spice and each requires different tactics, and makes the knowledge of monsters skill valuable), and the set levels that make you run away at lower levels. I will say that in the end game of every MM title I've played my party has been so powerful that there was no challenge. So perhaps set minimum levels for all monsters, with mid to high end monsters scaling after that? You have to keep the challenge level relative to the player high, along with the loot ;)

ARCOMAGE!!!!!

Things I'd like to see:
-Something that allows the characters to have a real impact on the environment. MM did that to a minor degree in the past (your castle in MM7 as you built it up) and so on, but what about developing that, if there's a castle to a larger degree and adding something where there are real world, visible results of quests? I don't mean a binary good-evil system, but if you help a business in one area instead of its competition on the other side of town, the area you helped will look nicer, shops will have higher quality goods, the NPC's will be more in-ling with what you'd expect in that area, and the reverse to the other area (lower quality, seedier people, etc).
-Speaking of a good vs evil moral choice system- It's not really a choice if the good option always yields the better result or the results are the same (if it costs nothing to do good instead of evil the majority of people will do good- if I offer you 10 dollars to help an old lady cross the street and another person offers you 10 dollars to kill her, who takes the latter?). Something more complex, with lots of options and unintended consequences (that make sense, and maybe could be guessed at by a thinking player) would be amazing. Evil exists, but I see it more as motivated by power or wealth than by the "Oh, I just want to destroy the world" bit of lazy story telling. Evil characters should have a good reason for being evil- some sociopaths of course, but many just see it as a means to an ends. Good should be more complex as well - some people may be good because that's just easier to do, or in their society its how to advance. You could have a character on the 'good side' that is naturally inclined to evil but sees good as the side that's going to win or offers the most benefits. Also, any leader that randomly kills his own people for no reason isn't going to attract many followers. Let's avoid these over played ideas!
-I liked the ore crafting system from previous MM games, but want to see it expanded. Different levels of ore found throughout the world could be used to craft different levels of items, as before, but perhaps with more player input? I don't mean a full fledged Skyrim style crafting system, which would be fairly tedious, but something closer to it than just turning in ore and getting a potion or something like that.

I'd love to help with anything you all need!

lukeniedner
03-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Why not pop over to the hopes and wishes page.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/760751-Your-hopes-and-wishes-on-MMX/page4

ElektroDragon
04-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Yes, Arcomage.

Ravens Klaws
08-05-2013, 10:13 PM
this needs to be in the MMX forum. and they won't have arcomage in this because arcomage was destroyed along with the entire setting of games 6-8(presumably) in one of the heroes games.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Moved.