PDA

View Full Version : AC Annual Releases.

Soulid_Snake
03-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Okay, so we know AC has adopted the,"Call of Duty Business Model", what's your take on it?

Assassin_M
03-26-2013, 06:03 PM
My only gripes are with the inch by inch drop in polish and allure of the series. AC III CLEARLY needed another 3 months, and regarding allure, it`s simply not there anymore. When you hear a GTA or a Rockstar game was announced, it`s something godly and you know you`re getting a pretty polished game. you`re sold day 1, but AC ?? Just look at us now...this community represents the hardcore fans and we`re talking about being wary of this new game, which should not happen...

MasterAssasin84
03-26-2013, 06:09 PM
My only gripes are with the inch by inch drop in polish and allure of the series. AC III CLEARLY needed another 3 months, and regarding allure, it`s simply not there anymore. When you hear a GTA or a Rockstar game was announced, it`s something godly and you know you`re getting a pretty polished game. you`re sold day 1, but AC ?? Just look at us now...this community represents the hardcore fans and we`re talking about being wary of this new game, which should not happen...

In other words finish what they started !! yeas i agree with that statement, i mean when the final part of the TOKW comes out as it looks ubi are going to wash their hands with Connor which i do take an issue to, but AC4BF had me thinking i wonder if we will see Edwards memories when he settled in Queen Anne Square and we will witness a young haytham as wrote in forsaken ? i mean that would make excellent DLC would it not ?

D.I.D.
03-26-2013, 06:12 PM
I'd like to see them allow AC to fall out of the Oct/Nov cycle. They've got AC4 going head-to-head will some of their own games now, and I think it would be wise to allow for a delayed release rather than a strict annual release.

They made a promise they had to keep with last year's timeline, but maybe they could now go for a different schedule completely (i.e. Watch Dogs every two years - Oct 2015, Oct 2017, Oct 2019, Oct 2021 - and AC every 18 months - May 2015, Nov 2016, May 2018, Nov 2019, May 2021) to avoid clashes as much as possible and keep both titles interesting.

Megas_Doux
03-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Every two years would be ok to me....

pacmanate
03-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Lets just say this. Wait an extra year, let people get hyped, actually bug test this time, add small fine details to make the experience more alive. Holsters, random quests, AI randomness or activities like children playing hop scotch or something!

rrebe
03-26-2013, 06:41 PM
I don't mind annual release, but every two years would keep me better on my toes waiting for a new game.

DTfunjumper
03-26-2013, 06:50 PM
This, PLUS: To be honest, i just love waiting and hoping for the next game to come out. It's just part of playing, waiting and hping for small news which HINT things about story, gameplay etc etc etc. With AC: Announcement in January, Trailers from march-august/september, october it's release time with DLC from December on aaaaand the cycle restarts.

montagemik
03-26-2013, 07:09 PM
I've been happy enough with the Annual releases on consoles TBH .

Perhaps the Next Gen consoles will prompt a change to 18-24 months schedule for future titles.

ze_topazio
03-26-2013, 07:10 PM
The annual releases made ​​the series lose its mystique.

montagemik
03-26-2013, 07:22 PM
The annual releases made ​​the series lose its mystique.

I actually think the over saturation of Ezio on a yearly basis killed the mystique - not the annual release schedule itself.

For AC3 , i think everybody expected / wanted too much from the gameplay , the story, the Assassin ...........Deep down we all wanted this new Assassin game to be vastly different & better in every aspect than the Ezio saga.

silvermercy
03-26-2013, 07:33 PM
I actually think the over saturation of Ezio on a yearly basis killed the mystique - not the annual release schedule itself.

For AC3 , i think everybody expected / wanted too much from the gameplay , the story, the Assassin ...........Deep down we all wanted this new Assassin game to be vastly different & better in every aspect than the Ezio saga.
^ This.

(I personally like the annual releases.)

ajl992008
03-26-2013, 07:48 PM
tbh i am fine with it, i haven't been let down so far expect for brotherhood which i didn't like but even that wasn't that bad, acr was amazing imo and ac3 was my favourite ac. ac4 looks but i just don't like the idea of there being so much naval, i may change my mind when i play it so i will just wait, they need to make ac more traditional like ac1 and go back to the basic idea of ac, investigations and assassinations and less of the Hollywood explosions. even ac2 had open assassinations to an extent, my feeling of ac4 at the moment is on the extremes, it will either be the best ac or it will be the worst, they are taking a risk with it so i don;t see it simply sitting somewhere in the middle. whether i want yearly releases to continue will depend on how good black flag is.

Bastiaen
03-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Yes, as long as they stay awesome.

playassassins1
03-26-2013, 10:17 PM
I don't like it.

1. the quality suffers from it being annual, and it doesn't leave much time to polish everything.
2. And like M said, It just doesn't feel the same anymore. When Black Flag got announced I honestly wasn't excited like I was when AC II got announced.

AC is a great franchise and it'd be a shame if it turns into another CoD..
So I definitely think they should take a break and make the AC it once was..
Obviously, we don't know much about Black Flag yet, so these are all assumptions. Black Flag might turn out to be a great AC :p

monster_rambo
03-27-2013, 10:57 AM

This. Completely agreed.

IWGCJoeCool
03-27-2013, 11:56 AM
i had to go with dunno

it depends on the game. i was on a steady diet of an EA Sports title, which gets mashed out the door, ready or not, every 12 months. nothing gets tested, nothing gets polished, nothing gets finished. what's worse is that it seems to be the same team on it every year. they just dont have a chance to get it right.

then there is Ubisoft and at least the AC franchise. there are enough creative teams about so while one team is polishing up this years release, totally other peeps are working on the next. and when guys on the Far Cry team are done, they move on over, fresh, at least for the AC stuff.

my biggest problem this year will be a long wait until the end of October. i just came around to Action/Adventure games, ( due to years with that EA title and diminishing returns and dashed expectations every year) so i didnt know much about Assassins Creed until last June's E3 show. i was knocked out by the AC3 stuff, and immediately decided i wanted it. i had heard of the game/series but that was it. i was biting the bit so bad by the end of August i D/L'd AC1 off of XBLive, the mission to at least get familiar. then it was AC2.

after AC3 and before the DLC stuff, i squeezed in Brotherhood and Revelations. so, for me, this is the first time in 6 months i havent had any new Assassins Creed to play. if you thought i was hot for it last June, square or cube it now. AC4 stuff looks fantatastic. it will be a great game. whether it's a great Assassins Creed game or not, is another matter, though that has nothing to do with the release cycle. i was hooked by the historical perspectives and the stealth aspects of gameplay. i'm one of those guys that like it pure once i find it.

JC

Soulid_Snake
03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
This is my gripe, Ubi are obviously burning out with yearly releases. If they released every 2 - 2.5 years, they wouldn't need to modify the game structure that much, to the point where it would completely feel like a new game, and this would be good because it would still maintain the AC essence. Look at Uncharted as a series, and its release pattern, the series hasn't reinvented the wheel with each installment. If anything Naughty Dog have kept their fans, "hungry", and in that amount of time they even acknowledge feedback. Ubi should really start working on sequels post release.

SixKeys
03-27-2013, 02:10 PM
I actually think the over saturation of Ezio on a yearly basis killed the mystique - not the annual release schedule itself..

I kind of agree with this. Revelations might have been a better game if everyone hadn't started to get sick of Ezio at that point. Maybe Yusuf should have been the main protagonist. Make the game center around him and the Turkish assassin order for a more original feel.

I still think AC4 is too soon even though we have a new protagonist. I think it's mainly because instead of a subtitle like ACB and ACR it's another numbered game, which naturally means fans' expectations will be higher.

lothario-da-be
03-27-2013, 07:52 PM
They should release an ac every 16 months, thats more then 1 year but less then 2, everyone happy ;)

AjinkyaParuleka
03-27-2013, 08:04 PM
I am ok with the yearly release basis,as long as the story is awesome,the gameplay good and a development time of more than 2 years.
Just..just..don't compare it with CoD.it reuses the same engine,same mechanics,same(probably)graphics and only a few new cars and weapons.AC give us new things and new gameplay in evert new game.

bveUSbve
03-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Firstly, there indeed is some effect of getting bored of this type of game, whether it's a really good one or not.

Secondly, after ACII ALL installments have felt more or less unfinished/unpolished, with ACIII being a new low point. This indicates that despite having several hundreds of developers dedicated to each title, Ubisoft is (generally) not able to release really good AC-games due to the yearly release schedule.

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Secondly, after ACII ALL installments have felt more or less unfinished/unpolished
Wrong actually, ACB was VERY polished, I`d go into detail, but i`m not keen on typing an essay write now...I`d even say it was more polished than AC II

pacmanate
03-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Wrong actually, ACB was VERY polished, I`d go into detail, but i`m not keen on typing an essay write now...I`d even say it was more polished than AC II

But they still couldnt get the freaking lighting right!

Assassin_M
03-28-2013, 01:38 PM
But they still couldnt get the freaking lighting right!
Sure, not really lack of polish, though, just lack of elastic artistic vision..

pirate1802
03-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Maybe just me, but Revelations was pretty polished too. Infact it was a pretty good port, no fps issues, nothing game breaking, not much bugs either.

roostersrule2
03-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Maybe just me, but Revelations was pretty polished too. Infact it was a pretty good port, no fps issues, nothing game breaking, not much bugs either.Kinda, there were no game breaking bugs but it was buggier then AC2 and ACB.

pirate1802
03-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Kinda, there were no game breaking bugs but it was buggier then AC2 and ACB.

Dunno man, there were quite a few areas in ACB that had AC3-level horrible FPS (one of them was the underground place where those people were partying in a tomb mission). ACR atleast had constantly good fps.

roostersrule2
03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Dunno man, there were quite a few areas in ACB that had AC3-level horrible FPS (one of them was the underground place where those people were partying in a tomb mission). ACR atleast had constantly good fps.I've never experienced a bad frame rate in all my years of AC.

pirate1802
03-28-2013, 03:00 PM
I've never experienced a bad frame rate in all my years of AC.

I hate you.

roostersrule2
03-28-2013, 03:36 PM
I hate you.Hahahaha I almost never experience bugs in my games, didn't get one through my whole first play through of AC3 apart from the usual's like clipping or draw distance failures.

Soulid_Snake
03-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Maybe just me, but Revelations was pretty polished too. Infact it was a pretty good port, no fps issues, nothing game breaking, not much bugs either.

It was the best AC, technically, it had great lighting, solid frame rate, and very detailed textures and modeling. Controls were solid too, very well tuned.