PDA

View Full Version : Is it enough to be a good pirate game?

BATISTABUS
03-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Many fans of Red Dead Redemption and other open world games have long anticipated an open world pirate game. There is so much gaming potential in that kind of universe; sailing, fighting, exploration, treasure hunts, etc. Ubisoft apparently recognized this potential, and decided to throw the Assassin/Templar struggle in the middle of the Golden Age of Piracy. Even so, there are some doubts about whether this will actually feel like an Assassin game.

If Black Flag somehow doesn't feel like an Assassin's Creed game, but still ends up being an awesome open-world pirate game...do you care?

xx-pyro
03-26-2013, 01:46 AM
If it's worth the $60 I'll likely be paying for it (possibly more if I do buy a PS4,) then in the end if it doesn't feel like Assassin's Creed I'll be irked, but I would still recommend the game to a friend. To me the keypoint for it being an Assassin Creed game is open world mission structure (preferably closer to AC1 in this regard,) however a compelling historical story is also pretty key for me to consider it a decent installment to the franchise.

Funbun777
03-26-2013, 02:01 AM
As Long as its more assassin then pirate

And by assassin I mean someone who actually you know assassinates people

Connor still did this but I have noticed that there are less and less assassinations as the gameS goes on

Jack_Pirate
03-26-2013, 04:30 AM
To be honest, I beat AC1 right when it came out. kinda got bored with the repetitive nature of the game and have not played another full AC game until I saw the trailer for AC4. AC4 trailer got me to play and buy AC3, and now im hooked for some reason. So in a way, a game that hasnt even come out yet has persuaded me to invest in its prequals

k4Anarky2011
03-26-2013, 04:34 AM
It's been a long while since any decent pirate-related game come out. And I couldn't really give a **** even if this game utterly destroy and degrade the AC formula.

Assassin_M
03-26-2013, 04:48 AM
As Long as its more assassin then pirate

And by assassin I mean someone who actually you know assassinates people

Connor still did this but I have noticed that there are less and less assassinations as the gameS goes on
Actually, AC III has plenty of Assassinations.

Miko
Silas
Braddock
William Johnson
John Pitcairn
Nicholas Biddle
Benjamin Church
Daniel Cross
Kanentokon
Warren Vidic
Thomas Hickey
Haytham Kenway
Charles Lee

It`s not the number of Assassinations that`s gone down. it`s the quality and design of some of them. how many are those ? 13 ? 10 of them are Linear, QTE or a cinematic....

LoyalACFan
03-26-2013, 05:12 AM
Actually, AC III has plenty of Assassinations.

Miko
Silas
Braddock
William Johnson
John Pitcairn
Nicholas Biddle
Benjamin Church
Daniel Cross
Kanentokon
Warren Vidic
Thomas Hickey
Haytham Kenway
Charles Lee

It`s not the number of Assassinations that`s gone down. it`s the quality and design of some of them. how many are those ? 13 ? 10 of them are Linear, QTE or a cinematic....

Wow... The ones in normal color are the ONLY ones you can approach on your terms. All the others are either cutscenes or scripted chase sequences.

Damm... I knew AC3 was way too linear, but seeing it like that... Holy crap.

pirate1802
03-26-2013, 05:14 AM
I believe Silas is free-form too. But yep, that's a sad picture indeed. AC3 had most scriptedness ever seen in an AC game.

Assassin_M
03-26-2013, 05:20 AM
Wow... The ones in normal color are the ONLY ones you can approach on your terms. All the others are either cutscenes or scripted chase sequences.

Damm... I knew AC3 was way too linear, but seeing it like that... Holy crap.
Silas too, but yeah..it is sad

LoyalACFan
03-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Silas too, but yeah..it is sad

I wasn't counting Silas because you didn't actually kill him, Church did.

pirate1802
03-26-2013, 06:41 AM

You can, if you find him before freeing the prisoners and all hell breaks loose? I haven't done this myself but heard it can be done.

Assassin_M
03-26-2013, 06:43 AM
Come now...It counts...I mean you can either go rambo through gates or go behind the fort and the mission ends when you hit him...so yeah it`s basically an Assassination..

I-Like-Pie45
03-26-2013, 06:48 AM
Well, at least Benedict Arnold was a decent assassination mission.

Too bad don't feel I can say the same about those in the Betrayal.

BATISTABUS
03-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Yeah, the Arnold assassination was pretty nice. Too bad I never got to meet him in the main game...

Ugh...my hopes are rising for this game by the day. Hopefully they don't disappoint. I didn't like the pirate idea for AC at first but now that's the main thing I care about.

LoyalACFan
03-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Come now...It counts...I mean you can either go rambo through gates or go behind the fort and the mission ends when you hit him...so yeah it`s basically an Assassination..

If you say so... I don't even remember fighting him though, I just remember climbing over the wall, killing a few soldiers and bam, cutscene of Silas getting shot in the face. Maybe I killed him in a combo without even realizing it :p

ajl992008
03-26-2013, 07:50 PM
I would have preferred a different setting for ac4 but the game looks interesting so i will wait and see.

nitres15
03-26-2013, 07:55 PM
I would've preferred a more traditional AC game, but I don't mind something different.

TheHumanTowel
03-26-2013, 07:56 PM
I think this thread is a little premature. We don't know enough about the game imo to make a judgement about this.

Benedict Arnold's assassination in the Infamy was cool yeah. I love that Fort in Black Creek with the trees and all and I'm glad we got to use it for a proper assassination.

Blind2Society
03-26-2013, 08:17 PM
I loved the naval aspect of ACIII and would absolutely LOVE an open world, pirate RPG. However, I think both AC and the pirate game itself would have been better served if they created a new IP.

BATISTABUS
03-26-2013, 08:20 PM
I think this thread is a little premature. We don't know enough about the game imo to make a judgement about this.
It's just a hypothetical question, not a judgement of what the game will actually end up being.