PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on the upcoming Ac4:BF Modern Days?

nunosilva13
03-25-2013, 02:44 AM
Hello guys,

I am a long time fan of the serie (bought Ac1 1 month before Ac2 was released on PC) and have to say that i'm completly satisfied with the franchise (despite problems that are not important for this discussion).

First of all i have to say that i had a mixture of feelings wtih the ending of Ac3. At first i hated it. I hated how they basically kill'd Desmond so they could remove modern days from the franchise. But then, i thought how could they use that ending plus ac:b truth (when we first speak with subject 16 inside the animus) to continue a storyline like in 2020 (i'm not suggesting 8 games before we finally know how it all ends XDDD). But this isn't either what i created this thread for....

I created this thread because i'm not quite confident about the new model ubisoft will use for modern days. I'm afraid they will ignore TWCB and what happened in Ac3's ending. I'm afraid we will never find and explanation to AcB truth bollocks about eve and "desmond's son". And above of all, i'm afraid the franchise will no longer have a porpuse.

I'd like to know your opinion on this and how could i, as a fan of Ac1 -> Ac3 modern story, have benefits from this change?

Oh, and i'm sorry for my english :P

pirate1802
03-25-2013, 03:22 AM
Welcome to the forums. :D

My thoughts on AC IV modern day story:
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/wsg/image/1339/12/1339123201922.gif

Why? Because its a fresh start, of sorts. Desmond's death was poorly portrayed, but it had to be done. Now that that's out of the way they can begin anew. And no, contrary to the popular perception, they haven't forgotten about Eve. If they had, they wouldn't bring Eve up again in Liberation ending. Modify it they may have. But forget it completely? Nada. We'll see or atleast hear/read more about Juno in AC IV, you can be sure about it. Afterall, there has to be a reason why Abstergo is interested in Edward right? Probably has something to do with finding a way to stop/subvert Juno.

Roanark
03-25-2013, 04:06 AM
If it ends up being in first person and with gameplay like the Desmond missions in Revelations I will hate it and request the option to commit suicide in-game.

kriegerdesgottes
03-25-2013, 04:25 AM
I'm not wild about the concept. I wasn't wild about Desmond but only because they never did anything with his potential to become great. I can't stand that after so many years of obsession with how his story would end he just falls over and dies. At least as Desmond, you have a character who you can relate to and who has the potential to be relatable and cool. If it's just you then why should I care about what's going on? I don't like it at all and I was very vocal about my dislike for Desmond but it was because A: They never fully developed his character and B: I enjoy the historical aspects of the games more but I hate that Desmond is just gone and I personally find it even worse that now we are just playing as Joe Shmoe No name. I don't even think I'm going to buy this one to be honest. It's just not what I want in an AC game.

LoyalACFan
03-25-2013, 05:40 AM
It's a step forward in my eyes. It's Ubisoft admitting that the way they've been doing the modern stuff is horrendous, and that entire meta-narrative needs to take a backseat to the historical one. Plus, by reducing the emphasis placed on the modern bits, it frees them from many of the storytelling constraints that Desmond forced them into. They can't keep recycling the "we need to find a relic that your ancestor conveniently stashed away centuries ago" plot forever. By assuming the role of some random researcher, it seems logical that they would be sifting through the memories of ancestors who led notable lives, but not necessarily ones who were absolutely critical to the present-day.

Stardust235
03-25-2013, 05:46 AM
If it ends up being in first person and with gameplay like the Desmond missions in Revelations I will hate it and request the option to commit suicide in-game.
What if the first person was similar to that of Far Cry 3? I'm pretty sure the modern day parts are gonna be in first person because you're playing as yourself, and the FC3 devs are helping with AC IV.

murphdawg1
03-25-2013, 06:20 AM
AC III was my first entry into the Assassin's Creed franchise and I can honestly say I did not really care for the modern day stuff. In the words of AngryJoe "It's like being pulled from the Matrix into a crappier game."

nunosilva13
03-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the forums. :D

My thoughts on AC IV modern day story:

Why? Because its a fresh start, of sorts. Desmond's death was poorly portrayed, but it had to be done. Now that that's out of the way they can begin anew. And no, contrary to the popular perception, they haven't forgotten about Eve. If they had, they wouldn't bring Eve up again in Liberation ending. Modify it they may have. But forget it completely? Nada. We'll see or atleast hear/read more about Juno in AC IV, you can be sure about it. Afterall, there has to be a reason why Abstergo is interested in Edward right? Probably has something to do with finding a way to stop/subvert Juno.

I don't think a fresh start completly works exactly because Juno will still be there trying or already controlling human-kind and abstergo/assassin's will have an huge importance in that fight against her since only they knew about TWCB.

Then, if we play as ourselves we will never see our character meaning the present day cannot be in 3rd person.

And for last, it seems the modern days story will always be in present days (they will do every day like Ac3, starting on the same day the game is released), witch means there will be much more empty plotholes then before.

Oh, and i've not played liberations nor watched videos on youtube (i refuse to see footage from a recording camera -.-) so i don't exactly know what happens with aveline.

I'm not wild about the concept. I wasn't wild about Desmond but only because they never did anything with his potential to become great. I can't stand that after so many years of obsession with how his story would end he just falls over and dies. At least as Desmond, you have a character who you can relate to and who has the potential to be relatable and cool. If it's just you then why should I care about what's going on? I don't like it at all and I was very vocal about my dislike for Desmond but it was because A: They never fully developed his character and B: I enjoy the historical aspects of the games more but I hate that Desmond is just gone and I personally find it even worse that now we are just playing as Joe Shmoe No name. I don't even think I'm going to buy this one to be honest. It's just not what I want in an AC game.

I think AcB had a good enough formula for desmond gameplay/story....

I'm buying this game, but if i don't like how ubisoft aproaches modern days, i'll just quit from feeding them.

pirate1802
03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
I don't think a fresh start completly works exactly because Juno will still be there trying or already controlling human-kind and abstergo/assassin's will have an huge importance in that fight against her since only they knew about TWCB.

Which is why I added "of sorts" to my remark. Ofcourse Juno will be up to no good and needs to be contended with. But they shed a lot of baggage in AC3 regarding Desmond and the need to go into the Animus. Though not done perfectly, IMO its a good thing.

Then, if we play as ourselves we will never see our character meaning the present day cannot be in 3rd person.

I have no problem with that.

And for last, it seems the modern days story will always be in present days (they will do every day like Ac3, starting on the same day the game is released), witch means there will be much more empty plotholes then before.

I don't think plotholes mean what you are implying here.

Oh, and i've not played liberations nor watched videos on youtube (i refuse to see footage from a recording camera -.-) so i don't exactly know what happens with aveline.

It says "Eve" will lead "us" through the "generational wars".

MadJC1986
03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
I think playing yourself will mean that we will get a character without any personality and without anything to say.

Sushiglutton
03-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Think it is awesome :)! Modern day was bust, so there was time for radical change. Removing one layer between the player and the ancestor will simplify things. By making the modern part first-person and more brain-oriented, as opposed to the nerfed action game we got in AC3, it will become something unique and a contrast to the historical part. Who knows, I might even enjoy it this time.

I think playing yourself will mean that we will get a character without any personality and without anything to say.

You have a very harsh opinion of yourself :(. I'm sure you have a lot of personality and things to say, even if you don't realize it!

pirate1802
03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Think it is awesome :)! Modern day was bust, so there was time for radical change. Removing one layer between the player and the ancestor will simplify things. By making the modern part first-person and more brain-oriented, as opposed to the nerfed action game we got in AC3, it will become something unique and a contrast to the historical part.

Eggjackly!

nunosilva13
03-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Think it is awesome :)! Modern day was bust, so there was time for radical change. Removing one layer between the player and the ancestor will simplify things. By making the modern part first-person and more brain-oriented, as opposed to the nerfed action game we got in AC3, it will become something unique and a contrast to the historical part. Who knows, I might even enjoy it this time.

You have a very harsh opinion of yourself :(. I'm sure you have a lot of personality and things to say, even if you don't realize it!

1 - I surely didn't enjoy much of the gameplay envolving desmong but i did enjoy the whole story arc arround it...

2 - The game HAS to be the same for everyone, we can't have a modern day character taking different choises for each person, so it will still be a imaginary character. Only that the character will be anything but special. Imagine that instead of playing Connor we played as let's say Paul Revere.... That's how the modern days might feel. At least that's how i see it.

I was hoping we played as Desmond's son (who knows if he didn't leave any1 pregnant when he was a bartender???) but he doesn't know his herritage or anything about templars and assassin's and is just trying to fight juno and the rest of the story would be up to ubisoft.....
That way we could play some1 much more active in modern ways and still be able to relive desmond ancestors :D