PDA

View Full Version : Would it be an issue for you if ubi slashed the modern day stuff in future games ?

MasterAssasin84
03-24-2013, 04:38 PM
As much as i think the modern day stuff is very relevent to the story it would not bother so much if ubi kept it to the bare minimum, admitingly i found quite annoying when the gameplay starts getting very good in the historical memories then desmond gets out the animus i mean for example AC2 ( my favorite in the series ) i thought the scenes in the warehouse was quite shallow and boring - when Ezio leaves Forli and boards the Ship with Leonardo to Venezia there is quite a longs break between him leaving Forli and Arrving in Venice dock, Amazingly enough i really enjoyed the Modern day stuff in AC3 but i would like it kept to the bare minimum.

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 04:40 PM
It wouldn't bother me.

MasterAssasin84
03-24-2013, 04:42 PM
It wouldn't bother me.

Thats what i was thinking i mean in all honesty i do find the science of AC very interesting like the concept of the Animus but i only play AC for the Historical part.

Acrimonious_Nin
03-24-2013, 04:47 PM
They should expand on the thing...I mean I thought they were expanding on Desmond slowly....I thought he would become the Ultimate Assassin.....He became not not so fortunate soul ....>_> it was not stealth...they pulled of another convictions on a really good title.........>_> AHH !!! lol....either they give us awesome stealth game or just cut AC from their 'things to-do' list.....and just go work on Call of duty since they like action so much!!!

montagemik
03-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Keep them as they were in AC3 or Expand them a little (as the series continues)

Both Historical & Modern elements of the game are equally important for me , If they ever Ditch the modern day completely .......Then that's the end of the 'real' AC series for me .

A purely Historical AC in my opinion should be released ONLY as an Abstergo Entertainment' 'spin-off' series - Given that scenario ....playing as any Ancestor in any time period , then i'd have no problem with modern day being scrapped.

TheHumanTowel
03-24-2013, 05:23 PM
I think Ubi needs to put more effort into the modern day. The missions in AC3 felt really rushed and ill thought out. How hard would it have been to have each Desmond mission be an assassination mission where he needs to get the power source off some Templar or whoever? Would've been a lot better than the fetch-quest stuff we got.

And then the Abstergo mission, the one that should have been Desmond's chance to be an assassin, was an abomination. Why did they attack him with sticks!!? Why not bloody shoot him in the head and take the apple? It was absolutely ridiculous. And the worst part is that the solution to that problem would have been to make it a straight stealth mission. Make it so you have to remain undetected and then you don't have to worry about the Abstergo guards looking like they forgot it was the 21st century. But I guess that wouldn't have been "cinematic" enough for Ubi. It's just sad that in the last game for Desmond's story the modern day still got shafted because the devs didn't care enough or didn't have enough time to put the effort into it.

I'm torn between Expand on it and Keep it as it is. I think it's good that AC4 seems to be going back to more AC1 style modern day where you can't do much gameplay-wise so it's all about the story and uncovering lore and secrets but the stakes have been raised so high now in the present that they've got to do something eventually. And when it does come to that I hope Ubi is confident enough to put some focus on the modern day and make it great instead of listening to dumb fans calling for it to be done away with.

lothario-da-be
03-24-2013, 05:30 PM
If they can make it good again, then keep it. if it has ac3 quality, get rid of it.

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Like I said in the other thread, they realized they bit off more than they could chew in AC3. So this time they're taking it low and easy.

BTW, they aren't slashing the whole modern part guys, Darby did say that the new recruit will arrive all excited on the first day of his job and soon realize something's wrong. So he has a bit of character arc himself. The only difference is that it'll be first person (most probably) and won't include combat missions (thankfully).

ACfan443
03-24-2013, 05:59 PM
I feel that it's the modern day plot which prompts the most interesting discussions. After the games' endings, people frantically try to make sense of what's happened and what's going to happen. The glyphs, clusters, riddles from First civ/clay, modern day events and other present day related story arcs are more interesting to talk about than just the historical parts of the game. If there was no modern day, it would feel so one dimensional and boring, there'd hardly be anything to speculate about.

Anthropoid3
03-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Keep them as they are or expand on them... At least when theystay as good as / better than (come on, ubi, you can do that...) the modern day missions in AC3.:)

Gi1t
03-24-2013, 07:01 PM
At this point, I think i'd be pretty pathetic if they cut it out; but that's how they do things I guess. If it's only modrately successful, throw it out along with everything that was good about it and everything it could have accomplished had they worked on it. -__-

I wouldn't voite in this case actually since I think they should develop it, but not necessarily give it a lot more screen time than it already has.

Sushiglutton
03-24-2013, 09:26 PM
I think they should get rid of the modern part completely. I think that AC has quality problems. The core gameplay elements are not as good as they should be and the mission design is dreadful. One of the main reasons for this, I believe, is that the team is overambitious and is trying to do too much. Having two games in one, with two parallel storylines, different art direction and preferably different gameplay is obv a huge complication. Since the historical openworld is allready one of the most complex game-spaces I know of I just feel it's a bit too much.

For me exploring climbable, beautiful, historical worlds is the main draw. That's what to me makes the franchise unique. There is no shortage of sci-fi videogames. If you add all these things together the conclusion for me is that the modern day part needs to go.

silvermercy
03-24-2013, 09:30 PM
I don't mind either way. It's a very interesting concept, however it wouldn't bother me at all if they got rid of it completely. I mostly play for the historical part anyway. Plus, having to tie up loose ends and storylines must be cumbersome.

shobhit7777777
03-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Shoot it in the head from a range of over 10 feet, chop it into little manageable pieces, wrap it up in a plastic canvas sheet, douse it with kerosene, light it, collect the ashes and flush them down the toilet, wash away all evidence....earn the love and affection of this guy *points to self*

****. The. Modern. Day. Segments.

ACfan443
03-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Shoot it in the head from a range of over 10 feet, chop it into little manageable pieces, wrap it up in a plastic canvas sheet, douse it with kerosene, light it, collect the ashes and flush them down the toilet, wash away all evidence....earn the love and affection of this guy *points to self*

Good lord..

SixKeys
03-24-2013, 09:58 PM
On the one hand I'm a little annoyed the modern day segments won't be the same anymore (third-person, established protagonist etc.) but I also understand Darby's reasoning for why they had to change it with the yearly release cycle. Desmond's story just kept getting more and more convoluted because they stretched it over 5 games instead of the originally intended 3 and the final payoff was disappointing. They just didn't seem to know what to do with the character anymore.

I'm glad they're not ditching the modern day story entirely. I remain skeptical about the new direction but it could have potential if they're going to bring back the glyph-like mysteries and puzzles. The excuse of digging through Abstergo's archives and maybe doing some hacking certainly opens up possibilities for this type of stuff. What I don't want is for the modern day story to become totally boring where there's nothing to do outside the Animus except sitting there and getting lots of exposition from other characters. I want the Animus to be a more interactive part of the experience where we can easily read our e-mails without having to get out of the machine and look up some information on the fly, similar to the database entries. For example as soon as you pass by a famous landmark, a marker could pop up indicating there's something research-worthy about it (stuff Abstergo keeps hidden) and you would have to solve some kind of puzzle in order to access the secret information (similar to the glyphs).

D.I.D.
03-24-2013, 10:11 PM

*applause*

I also think it was a mistake to introduce the idea that the Assassins and Templars have been at war from the beginning of human time, like Jedis and Sith. Terrible, terrible idea. They've swept so many other ideas under the carpet, and I'd like to see that one go too.

AC1 was great, setting you up at the start of an epic struggle between a shadowy elite element within the invading crusader army and the shadowy elite protectors of the Middle Eastern region. To create the idea of you getting a peek of square one of a conflict that would secretly echo through to the present day was very good. To make AC1 a relatively modern point in a history that is hard-coded into the genetics of humans in some way is very bad.

SixKeys
03-24-2013, 10:40 PM
*applause*

I also think it was a mistake to introduce the idea that the Assassins and Templars have been at war from the beginning of human time, like Jedis and Sith. Terrible, terrible idea. They've swept so many other ideas under the carpet, and I'd like to see that one go too.

AC1 was great, setting you up at the start of an epic struggle between a shadowy elite element within the invading crusader army and the shadowy elite protectors of the Middle Eastern region. To create the idea of you getting a peek of square one of a conflict that would secretly echo through to the present day was very good. To make AC1 a relatively modern point in a history that is hard-coded into the genetics of humans in some way is very bad.

Why do you think it was a bad idea? TBH, the only minor objection I might have is the names of the two factions. It would be kind of silly if Cain was actually called "the first Templar" as the name didn't mean anything back then. But I like the idea of the two opposing ideals in general having been at war throughout the history of mankind. That also kind of echoes the idea that history repeats itself and that people don't change, only the names of political ideologies do.