PDA

View Full Version : My interview with Darby McDevitt (AC4 Lead Writer) at PAX East

loomer979
03-23-2013, 04:23 PM
We talk about Edward, the Brotherhood, modern day, and next gen. There are timestamp shortcuts to the various topics in the video description.

Hope you guys enjoy it. Tried not to veer into too many topics that Darby couldn't talk about (unlike E3 last year when I interviewed Corey).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTXMrZC_ZRg

nitres15
03-23-2013, 04:24 PM
gonna watch is soon. Good work as always Loomer.

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 04:28 PM
gonna watch is soon. Good work as always Loomer.

You didnt even watch it and you said good luck. Lawl.

lothario-da-be
03-23-2013, 04:37 PM
nice interview.

nitres15
03-23-2013, 04:42 PM
You didnt even watch it and you said good luck. Lawl.

he doesn´t post that often, But it is pretty good when he does.

ACfan443
03-23-2013, 04:57 PM
"Edward is a pirate for most of the game"
"First and foremost we want this game to be a pirate game"

Title of the game: "Assassin's Creed"....
Like I said before, this franchise is losing its direction.

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 05:06 PM

This is when pessimism starts to set in and we start to be very cautious with our hype. Sure the pirates have some pretty interesting assassin-related ideas, but they shouldn't detract from the Assassin's belief in the creed. However, I must say that this presents a very new and intriguing concept of Templar ideas vs Assassin ideas with Edward lost between, so maybe a sort of shaky assassin, which may be interesting if it is the case.

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Ofcourse he's a pirate for most of his game. He's a pirate AND an assassin (thought it was clear from the character trailer..). I suppose he only leaves piraccy towards the end to settle down with his family.

Also interesting.. he implied the modern day storyline will no longer end with cliffhangers. That's a welcome relief, if true/

roostersrule2
03-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Ofcourse he's a pirate for most of his game. He's a pirate AND an assassin (thought it was clear from the character trailer..). I suppose he only leaves piraccy towards the end to settle down with his family.

Also interesting.. he implied the modern day storyline will no longer end with cliffhangers. That's a welcome relief, if true/No, I loved the cliffhangers.

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 05:29 PM
No, I loved the cliffhangers.

After five cliffhangers in a row I think I could use a break. They are good but not good when overused.

roostersrule2
03-23-2013, 05:34 PM
After five cliffhangers in a row I think I could use a break. They are good but not good when overused.Perhaps, but that's what made the wait for ACR so great the ACB cliffhanger.

Spider_Sith9
03-23-2013, 05:39 PM

Also interesting.. he implied the modern day storyline will no longer end with cliffhangers. That's a welcome relief, if true/It'll be interesting to see Shadow Haytham and his battle between whether the Assassins or Templars are right or keeping his greed. We already know which side he chose out of the three but it'll be interesting nonetheless. That said, if he's so much of a vicious pirate, does this mean we'll have Assassin AND Templar AND Pirate targets?

No, I loved the cliffhangers.

After five cliffhangers in a row I think I could use a break. They are good but not good when overused.

I hated the cliffhangers. AC1 and AC2 were fine though. From the way this is turning out, it sounds like this will dethrone AC2 as the fan favorite. I just hope you can name the modern Protagonist.

D.I.D.
03-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Perhaps, but that's what made the wait for ACR so great the ACB cliffhanger.

Yeah, but endless cliffhangers are a bad thing.

One of the head writers at DC Comics was a man called Paul Levitz, who invented a system which became very popular with comics writers and eventually spread to television writers too. It became known as the "Levitz Paradigm", and it allows writers to create a main story that never ends, which several stories inside it. The secondary stories are constantly being switched and resolved in such a way as to provide regular satisfaction to the reader, and still leave something tantalising about the ongoing pieces, which is how they've been able to keep some superhero characters going for decades. It's detailed in full in the DC Comics guide to writing, and I wish more games writers would take a look at it.

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 06:10 PM

They keep us yearning for more. Without them, I don't think I'd build up any anticipation for the next game in terms of plot direction. I'd just finish the game and think "What now?", as opposed to a cliffhanger where I start to analyse the ending and think as to where the next game might go, what this meant, what will happen in the modern world .... etc. It just doesn't feel right when it comes to continuity and wouldn't really feel like an AC game without a big WTC at the end. Well, even if the end isn't a cliffhanger, I'd have the satisfaction of having my answers ready without waiting a year to find out that Lucy is a Templar, or that all we have to find is a key or any of that bullocks that could have been explained in an extra 5 minutes added to the end.

lothario-da-be
03-23-2013, 06:18 PM
The modern day part actualy sounds cool when he was telling it, i never thought i would ever say that.

Subject J80
03-23-2013, 06:46 PM
The modern day part actualy sounds cool when he was telling it, i never thought i would ever say that.

I do like the sound of the modern day stuff too. Thanks to OP for the interview, very good questions!!

Sushiglutton
03-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Very good interview! I must say that I think loomer is much better than before (a lot more confident and less nervous). I have no constructive (or destructive) feedback to give, great job :)! Thank You!

I like pretty much all the answers given. I think focusing mainly on the pirates instead of the assassins/templar is the right choice to keep things fresh and I like that Darby was straightforward about it. I think it's clear in what way Edward is distinct from pretty-boy Ezio and he seems like an interesting character. The analysis of modern day is correct imo and I'm happy they finally switched track because that parallel character story was simply not working.

At the end of the day I'm fairly confident in the story and worldbuilding teams. What worries me is the gameplay/mission design and obv we don't know much about that yet. At least they keep repeating that AC4 will have more assassination with a more open structure. So there is hope.

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 06:50 PM
lol @ destructive feedback xD

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 06:55 PM
I don't know. Should we trust Darby with writing ? His history isn't the most impressive.

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 06:57 PM
I don't know. Should we trust Darby with writing ? His history isn't the most impressive.

I liked his work on Revelations. Didn't play the others so can't judge.

Spider_Sith9
03-23-2013, 07:17 PM

Embers was pretty good. :3

lothario-da-be
03-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Embers was pretty good. :3
I liked the story of revelations and embers a lot so i trust him.

ACfan443
03-23-2013, 07:20 PM
I think focusing mainly on the pirates instead of the assassins/templar is the right choice.

I understand one is entitled to their own opinion, however I find this sentiment highly nonsensical. The franchise is Assassin's Creed, not Pirate's Creed, and the primary focus has always been on Assassins/Templars, and in my opinion still should be.

Also, there are many other avenues they can explore to keep the series fresh.

lothario-da-be
03-23-2013, 07:22 PM
I understand one is entitled to their own opinion, however I find this sentiment highly nonsensical. The franchise is Assassin's Creed, not Pirate's Creed, and the primary focus has always been on Assassins/Templars, and in my opinion still should be.
If the gameplay is 100% ASSASSINS creed and the story only 40% i'am ok with it.

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 07:24 PM

You are assuming that there is no undercurrent of the assassin's order or templars..

I would suggest you consider that what you have seen - pirates etc - is only a cover for the real work - much like Ezio's playboy lifestyle..

Having a double identity - is 100% AC, in my opinion - only the founding fathers of the creed, had the luxury of living life as an assassin, 100% of the time..

Who knows what plot points / hidden agenda's there maybe.. ;)

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Woo playboys!

ACfan443
03-23-2013, 07:30 PM
You are assuming that there is no undercurrent of the assassin's order..

I would suggest you consider that what you have seen - pirates etc - is only a cover for the real work - much like Ezio's playboy lifestyle..

Having a double identity - is 100% AC, in my opinion - only the founding fathers of the creed, had the luxury of living life as an assassin, 100% of the time..

He said himself that pirates are the primary focus, and that the game is mainly a pirate game, so I don't believe it's a cover for the real work.
I don't mind the double identity, I think it's cool and gives depth to the character and story, but I prefer having primary focus on Assassins.

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 07:31 PM
We know nothing about this game to start speculating the worst (except for random events)

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 07:33 PM

The franchise isn't called Freedom Fighter's Creed or Robin Hood Creed either. However we had those. Each game has a different setting and context. This is nothing different. The only true and pure Assassins Creed game probably was AC1 and none other, if you look at them that way.

And people will complain about those avenues too.

ACfan443
03-23-2013, 07:38 PM
The franchise isn't called Freedom Fighter's Creed or Robin Hood Creed either.

That's how we interpreted them, the main focus was still always Assassins (e.g AC3 - "it's mainly Assassins vs. Templars, with the revolution as the backdrop). This time He explicitly said the primary focus will be pirates.

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 07:41 PM
We know nothing about this game to start speculating the worst (except for random events)
indeed.

I am slightly confused why everyone seems to think there are loads of random events - where did that all come from?

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM
indeed.

I am slightly confused why everyone seems to think there are loads of random events - where did that all come from?

I posted a link in that poll to where Darby uses random events to talk about seemlessness. I never said there would be loads of random events (unless you mean just people in general), just that once again Ubi are stating that they are being included.

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM
That's how we interpreted them, the main focus was still always Assassins (e.g AC3 - "it's mainly Assassins vs. Templars, with the revolution as the backdrop). This time He explicitly said the primary focus will be pirates.

Because the settings are pirates? Because the main character is a pirate and a pirate is probably your antagonist (Charles Vane) ? I still don't see how focusing on pirates and building a good Assassin-Templar story are mutually exclusive.

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 07:47 PM
I posted a link in that poll to where Darby uses random events to talk about seemlessness. I never said there would be loads of random events (unless you mean just people in general), just that once again Ubi are stating that they are being included.
he did not say that.. The article was about seamless travel - not about random events?

I think you misunderstood what he was meaning.

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 07:48 PM
indeed.

It all started with Alex Amancio and his promises of random events in ACR, up to similar promises made in AC3 (with the Boston gameplay that showed a random woman that pleaded for your help to help her husband) and then an example of the world being seamless in AC4 that showed a random event of a rich man showing off about his plantation. Such claims have been made about every game since ACR with disappointment to be the end to such anticipations.

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 07:49 PM
he did not say that.. The article was about seamless travel - not about random events?

I think you misunderstood what he was meaning.

But he used a random event as the example. See a guy doing stuff, follow guy doing stuff etc

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 07:50 PM
It all started with Alex Amancio and his promises of random events in ACR, up to similar promises made in AC3 (with the Boston gameplay that showed a random woman that pleaded for your help to help her husband) and then an example of the world being seamless in AC4 that showed a random event of a rich man showing off about his plantation. Such claims have been made about every game since ACR with disappointment to be the end to such anticipations.
Just to correct this assumption - which it appears it is.. before it snowballs..

That example - is about the seamless travel - no loading screens - not random events [the example maybe a mission...]

https://twitter.com/DarbyMcDevitt/status/315253932840607744

You should not read into it that it's even about 'random events' - he wants people to be corrected.

It's an example of the travel /loading system, not a game play feature....

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Okay well even so, Ubisoft WILL talk about random events. In this case, we are preparing. Regardless of what Darby said, they said they would be in ACR and AC3, so I doubt they wont say they arent in AC4 :D

Layytez
03-23-2013, 07:57 PM
With all this pirate talk that's what i'm going to end up doing to this game.

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't even joke about it on here...

Okay well even so, Ubisoft WILL talk about random events. In this case, we are preparing. Regardless of what Darby said, they said they would be in ACR and AC3, so I doubt they wont say they arent in AC4 :D
Well I have alerted them that certain people are making assumptions, so hopefully they can clear up this for you and others.

This is AC4 - not R or 3 - so you shouldn't judge this game by what may have been said about the older ones, since they are different ;)

TheHumanTowel
03-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Just to correct this assumption - which it appears it is.. before it snowballs..

That example - is about the seamless travel - no loading screens - not random events [the example maybe a mission...]

https://twitter.com/DarbyMcDevitt/status/315253932840607744

You should not read into it that it's even about 'random events' - he wants people to be corrected.

It's an example of the travel /loading system, not a game play feature....
I think it's really cool Darby seems to be reading the forum and keeping up with fans reactions to things like the random event thing he's referring to there.

Sushiglutton
03-23-2013, 08:06 PM

I don't care what the title is. If they called it "String Quartet 4: the Violin" and the game was about pirates, I wouldn't be upset the slightest. Secondly I think the "it has always been like this" argument is a bit tiresome. To me it's more important what is interesting/fun/engaging than to do the same thing over and over just to stay true to the roots. I prefer if they focus on the actual politics/motivations for the real world characters, rather than to do the A/T templar conflict over and over with different skins. This time I'm interested to see what drove these men to abandon society and turn to lawlessness. Also the inner conflicts within this very naive take on a liberal society and the reasons why it collapsed.

To me the assassins logo is something Ubi must have to sell million of copies. My main interest is in real world historical characters/events. I can understand why someone would disagree, but I don't understand why my preference would be nonsensical :confused:.

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 08:06 PM

i wonder. If the game is worth your time why not buy it? If its not worth your time why even pirate it? Its paradoxical. These threats of pirating a game just see to be childish "ubisoft didn't do what I like? Pirate the game!" tantrums. Either buy the game or don't. Either way it'll send a message. Pirating a game just tells them you didn't buy it, yet you found their game irresistible.

Spider_Sith9
03-23-2013, 08:09 PM
i wonder. If the game is worth your time why not buy it? If its not worth your time why even pirate it? Its paradoxical. These threats of pirating a game just see to be childish "ubisoft didn't do what I like? Pirate the game!" tantrums. Either buy the game or don't. Either way it'll send a message. Pirating a game just tells them you didn't buy it, yet you found their game irresistible.

Modern Day Pirates ;D

Sushiglutton
03-23-2013, 08:10 PM

I think he meant robbing some old lady in the street to get money to buy the game. That's perfectly in line with the pirate theme and morally impeccable.

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 08:10 PM
I think it's really cool Darby seems to be reading the forum and keeping up with fans reactions to things like the random event thing he's referring to there.
well....

I have said for many, many years the teams do read the forums - but what do I know ;)

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 08:13 PM

I asked him why he doesnt post, he said if he did he would get shot (or something bad)

UrDeviant1
03-23-2013, 08:14 PM
If there are random events and they're anything like ToKW's, please leave them out of the game.

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't even joke about it on here...

Well I have alerted them that certain people are making assumptions, so hopefully they can clear up this for you and others.

This is AC4 - not R or 3 - so you shouldn't judge this game by what may have been said about the older ones, since they are different ;)
While we are at it, can you confirm tree-running as well?

D.I.D.
03-23-2013, 08:18 PM

I think that still will be the focus, but I think it's right that if the assassin is a pirate then the pirate theme is strong. I'm sure Ezio's family weren't bankers for no reason; they were introducing a character who would instantly know how to make use of banks and business in order to use their new economy system. Ezio says that he's been studying hard to be a banker early in AC2, and everything he does with that would have been completely alien to Altair. Rather than simply having political targets, Ezio was directly a part of that world and had been feuding with the Pazzis all his life, and it was a political conspiracy that directly resulted in his involvement in the rest of the story.

Equally, AC3 focused very strongly on Connor's background in order to use the new hunting gameplay and use of parkour in a natural environment, and the economy disappeared. I think some of us are shying away from AC4 being too "piratey" because pirates have a silly image due to their treatment in modern culture, and that's understandable, but the things they've said so far suggest that it won't be like that. The most important thing is that we do have lots of proper targets and a feeling of huntiing each one.

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 08:18 PM
I asked him why he doesnt post, he said if he did he would get shot (or something bad)
Ubisoft have dedicated people who interact with the community, from FM's to CD/CMs

They are experienced with dealing with large communities - which can be intimidating for some people - plus certain people would simply jump on them and smother them with questions or abuse..;)

Needless to say though, everyone involved with the production of the game, gets to know what is happening and does have their say - however it's normally via one of the above. ;)

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Ubisoft have dedicated people who interact with the community, from FM's to CD/CMs

They are experienced with dealing with large communities - which can be intimidating for some people - plus certain people would simply jump on them and smother them with questions or abuse..;)

Needless to say though, everyone involved with the production of the game, gets to know what is happening and does have their say - however it's normally via one of the above. ;)

I'm pretty sure the Devs would completely despise and disregard the hardcore fanbase if they read the shenanigans on the forums themselves. Come to think of it, it's actually great that there are people there to filter the shenanigans and deliver to the devs only the most constructive criticism and suggestions this forum has to offer. You guys are sort of awesome.

TheHumanTowel
03-23-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the Devs would completely despise and disregard the hardcore fanbase if they read the shenanigans on the forums themselves. Come to think of it, it's actually great that there are people there to filter the shenanigans and deliver to the devs only the most constructive criticism and suggestions this forum has to offer. You guys are sort of awesome.
Well Darby was definitely reading the forum himself during the whole mess about sexism after the reveal trailer. He mentioned Assassin_M and Silvermercy by name

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Well Darby was definitely reading the forum himself during the whole mess about sexism after the reveal trailer. He mentioned Assassin_M and Silvermercy by name

Can you please send the link of such mentions and what context did he use it for?

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Also, hey Darby. Welcome to this mess we call forums :)

TheHumanTowel
03-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Can you please send the link of such mentions and what context did he use it for?
I can't find it but He tweeted something like "please give Assassin_M and silvermercy a hug" to escoblades it was I think lol

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 08:47 PM
I can't find it but He tweeted something like "please give Assassin_M and silvermercy a hug" to escoblades it was I think lol

That's awesome. I think it'd be very awkward if ACR and AC3 devs read these forums. God, imagine if Yves read these forums? That would be even weirder, trying to explain all the creepy stories and drawings about him.

poptartz20
03-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Wow! Thanks Loomer! :D Great interview!

I'm still not to sure about AC4 but I'm getting more and more into it.

I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned one of the biggest things yet! Darby mentioned the coming back of OPEN ENDED ASSASSINATIONS!

Also, it seems that Forsaken is Cannon. (For those who were doubters)

I do have a question though, if Edward is pirate for most of the game what is he for the rest of it? Lol.

Spider_Sith9
03-23-2013, 09:02 PM

I can't find it but He tweeted something like "please give Assassin_M and silvermercy a hug" to escoblades it was I think lolI dislike M. He treats me like a piece of ****

That's awesome. I think it'd be very awkward if ACR and AC3 devs read these forums. God, imagine if Yves read these forums? That would be even weirder, trying to explain all the creepy stories and drawings about him.
I'm sure Yves would get blasted due to all the AC3 hatred.

overdidd
03-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Very informative interview loomer.
Got me hoping this will finally be a new, fun, and reviving installement in the series. Since I really didn't like ac3.
And since the devs are reading the forums, thanks for everything, You guys are awesome.

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I dislike M. He treats me like a piece of ****

I'm sure Yves would get blasted due to all the AC3 hatred.

Yeah I bad mouthed M once and he made me pick up soap :(

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 09:18 PM
They have and still do, since some staff maybe the same - Com Devs esp.

Which is why I am always VERY proactive at removing insults or abuse aimed at the team, and even Yves, since even though some people seem to think it's 'OK' to post things, since Ubisoft is a company - they are human beings at the end of the day, and remember the direction a game takes, is a group effort.. However the team do love the games they make, and it does take a huge investment of not only time, but blood sweat and tears - so they always like to see the reactions, both good and bad. ;)

You would be amazed at how many times I have emailed in reporting something only to get 'we already saw it - here's the deal' ;)

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 09:26 PM
They have and still do...

Which is why I am always VERY proactive at removing insults or abuse aimed at the team, and even Yvies, since even though some people seem to think it's 'OK' to post things, since Ubisoft is a company - they are human beings at the end of the day, and remember the direction a game takes, is a group effort.. ;)

You would be amazed at how many times I have emailed in reporting something only to get 'we already saw it - here's the deal' ;)

Indeed. Sure they may make some rather unfavourable decisions or may not appear very likeable, but these people exert an unbelievable amount of effort into making the games we love and cherish and, like you said, it seems quite rude to diss the hard work of thousands of people with childish, proof-lacking jokes. Day by day, you mods grow on me. Also, guess I owe a couple of Ubi guys an apology. You keep up the good work :)

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Yeah I bad mouthed M once and he made me pick up soap :(

Mention Mubarak or Morsy. Maybe that'll phase him.

ACfan443
03-23-2013, 09:29 PM
I don't care what the title is. If they called it "String Quartet 4: the Violin" and the game was about pirates, I wouldn't be upset the slightest.

It's not just about what the title is, it's about what the franchise has built itself up to be and is known for.

To me it's more important what is interesting/fun/engaging than to do the same thing over and over just to stay true to the roots.

I respect that, but I feel staying true to the roots is important, and creating something fun/interesting/engaging can be achieved my different means, it doesn't just have to be by distancing from the core of something. (I still believe the pirate/naval theme would be better branched off into a new IP).

To me the assassins logo is something Ubi must have to sell million of copies. My main interest is in real world historical characters/events. I can understand why someone would disagree, but I don't understand why my preference would be nonsensical :confused:.

I never had a problem with historical events/characters, I'm aware that that's one of the pillars of the franchise. My problem lies with the focus of the narrative, if Edward is going to be a pirate for most of the game, and game itself "is mainly a pirate game", then that's not very Assassin like. GTA has had numerous iterarions, but every instalment shares the same focus and still feels fresh while retaining familiarity.

poptartz20
03-23-2013, 09:34 PM
They have and still do, since some staff maybe the same - Com Devs esp.

Which is why I am always VERY proactive at removing insults or abuse aimed at the team, and even Yves, since even though some people seem to think it's 'OK' to post things, since Ubisoft is a company - they are human beings at the end of the day, and remember the direction a game takes, is a group effort.. However the team do love the games they make, and it does take a huge investment of not only time, but blood sweat and tears - so they always like to see the reactions, both good and bad. ;)

Well said Shade! Kudos! I've always felt the same way! People really can take it too far and act plain ignorant! : /

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Day by day, you mods grow on me. Also, guess I owe a couple of Ubi guys an apology. You keep up the good work :)

No offence to the Moderation team [who are volunteers and do an amazing job] - Forum Managers, like myself, are paid staff - we are the 'front line' for the company and we work hand in hand with the game team - so to be honest, we should be doing 'good work' - other wise we are failing the community ;)

We do like cake though ;)

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 09:56 PM
No offence to the Moderation team [who are volunteers and do an amazing job] - Forum Managers, like myself, are paid staff - we are the 'front line' for the company and we work hand in hand with the game team - so to be honest, we should be doing 'good work' - other wise we are failing the community ;)

We do like cake though ;)

Hahahaha. You deserve to have your cake and eat it :) Don't get used to it though, cause we'll get back to shenanigans in no time.

Spider_Sith9
03-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Mention Mubarak or Morsy. Maybe that'll phase him.

Never heard of them. Something must've happened and I don't wanna know.

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 10:04 PM

A revolution which changed the course by which this entire country, that M and I live in, goes on. Not much really.

SixKeys
03-23-2013, 10:15 PM
What worries me about AC4 being "first and foremost a pirate game" is that I worry the reasoning behind the assassinations is getting lost. Even if they bring back open-ended assassinations, it's not going to feel right if there's no reason for Edward to worry about the creed. What bugged me so much about AC3 was that outside of the linear missions and if you weren't always going for full synch, you had freedom but no reason to act like an assassin. Connor never struck me as the patient type who could sit in a tree for hours waiting for the perfect moment to strike. His primary weapon was a tomahawk, for pete's sake. He was more of a warrior who was at his most efficient in open combat. The full synch objectives that required stealth often felt tacked-on and out-of-character.

To me the primary draw of AC has always been the atmosphere: getting to picture yourself as an assassin and his motivations for why he would perform a mission a certain way. The more combat-efficient the assassins get, the less need there is for stealth. So it becomes jarring when sometimes two characters are talking to each other about infiltrating a base and one says: "we can't just barge in, there are too many guards". And I'm like: so? I literally just killed 25 dudes without even breaking a sweat, there's no such thing as "too many guards" in these games.

The creed is the only proper reason for stealth anymore. They completely skipped everything to do with the creed in AC3 (as Loomer points out in the video with Achilles and the initiation ceremony). I fear they are continuing this trend with AC4. They really need to bring back the emphasis on the creed and the brotherhood, otherwise there's no point in shoehorning stealth into what's now more or less a full-blown action game.

shobhit7777777
03-23-2013, 10:21 PM
What worries me about AC4 being "first and foremost a pirate game" is that I worry the reasoning behind the assassinations is getting lost. Even if they bring back open-ended assassinations, it's not going to feel right if there's no reason for Edward to worry about the creed. What bugged me so much about AC3 was that outside of the linear missions and if you weren't always going for full synch, you had freedom but no reason to act like an assassin. Connor never struck me as the patient type who could sit in a tree for hours waiting for the perfect moment to strike. His primary weapon was a tomahawk, for pete's sake. He was more of a warrior who was at his most efficient in open combat. The full synch objectives that required stealth often felt tacked-on and out-of-character.

To me the primary draw of AC has always been the atmosphere: getting to picture yourself as an assassin and his motivations for why he would perform a mission a certain way. The more combat-efficient the assassins get, the less need there is for stealth. So it becomes jarring when sometimes two characters are talking to each other about infiltrating a base and one says: "we can't just barge in, there are too many guards". And I'm like: so? I literally just killed 25 dudes without even breaking a sweat, there's no such thing as "too many guards" in these games.

The creed is the only proper reason for stealth anymore. They completely skipped everything to do with the creed in AC3 (as Loomer points out in the video with Achilles and the initiation ceremony). I fear they are continuing this trend with AC4. They really need to bring back the emphasis on the creed and the brotherhood, otherwise there's no point in shoehorning stealth into what's now more or less a full-blown action game.

Well said

but there is a twisted satisfaction in knowing that you slaughtered 25 guards WITHOUT anyone realizing it.....its like a pro-active choice to go the subtler route

All in all...I agree with you

Spider_Sith9
03-23-2013, 10:22 PM

Well the Templars did wipe out the Colonial Brotherhood so it makes sense. It fit Achilles' cynicism as well.

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 10:32 PM

While I don't advocate straying from the creed, it is sort of interesting to see things from a more torn and confused stance like that of Edward in terms of his personality vs Assassin ideals and the Assassin ideals versus the Templar ideas and how he will react to both situations, showing how a true assassin should abide by the creed (eventually he stops being a jerk, right?). Sometimes, with all the new releases, I feel like there never was a creed in the first place, but it was merely something only the Middle Eastern assassins abided by during the 12th century, cause if this is the cause, then down goes the drain a very interesting concept of discipline and honour. The whole grey area they are trying to show is awesome, but the protagonists are assassins after all, so try and treat them as such, Devs.

TheHumanTowel
03-23-2013, 10:55 PM
They're his parents

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 11:03 PM
They're his parents

They're both men and I don't remember being adopted 0_o

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 11:18 PM
"First and foremost a pirate game" is NOT what we want to hear!

What we want to hear is "First and foremost, this is an Assassin's Creed game!""

HEAR HEAR!

Well, we would be hear hearing if that happened.

Legendz54
03-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Modern day sounds pretty cool now, I like how they said they are going to make it more fulfilling and that they are going to give us a better experience with it. So instead of say "Desmond" meeting William, Shuan and Rebbecca It will be "Me" i like the sound of that, It could work too with all the twcb stuff.

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 11:29 PM
The AC team shed blood as well as tears and sweat?

Blood?

Like, BLOOD?

Thats kinda weird :S

I hope they lick it up.

silvermercy
03-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Blood?

Like, BLOOD?

Thats kinda weird :S

I hope they lick it up.
Twilight's Creed. Team Edward. xD

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Twilight's Creed. Team Edward. xD

Great you just mixed Twilight and Assassin's Creed :( You have no idea how depressed I am now!

silvermercy
03-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Great you just mixed Twilight and Assassin's Creed :( You have no idea how depressed I am now!
hehe... Sorry! All this blood talk... :p
Psst... there was also a privateer called Jacob Collaart.
(I am evil, yes).

Spider_Sith9
03-24-2013, 12:45 AM
I just hope the modern day gameplay isn't first person. It'll feel too Valveish.

ajl992008
03-24-2013, 12:52 AM

most of his work has been good.

revelations was amazing imo
bloodlines was decent, i enjoyed the story
embers was great
never played discovery but i am assuming because it was a ds game and i heard he wrote the script for that in a month as the dev time was 6 months that it wasn't good
i think he helped with some things in brotherhood too,

I like him, he seems to know what he is doing so i will wait and see.

loomer979
03-24-2013, 05:27 AM
I just hope the modern day gameplay isn't first person. It'll feel too Valveish.

I'm not actually sure how you could do a "you are yourself" type of narrative without it being first person, unless you start to get into stuff like character creators which I think we can probably safely rule out haha. Am I crazy or did they also already confirm that modern day will be first person somewhere?

Spider_Sith9
03-24-2013, 05:31 AM
I'm not actually sure how you could do a "you are yourself" type of narrative without it being first person, unless you start to get into stuff like character creators which I think we can probably safely rule out haha. Am I crazy or did they also already confirm that modern day will be first person somewhere?

Hmmm... I guess I can rule out creating Rock from Black Lagoon as the main protagonist. ;_;

Stardust235
03-24-2013, 05:53 AM

No, it isn't. It's just that in the previous installments, the main characters are completely focused on being assassins. To be an assassin, you don't have to pitch your whole life towards it.

Spider_Sith9
03-24-2013, 06:03 AM
I always thought Escoblades and Loomer were the same person. @_@

Mind = Blown

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 06:13 AM
I always thought Escoblades and Loomer were the same person. @_@

Mind = Blown

lel

Spider_Sith9
03-24-2013, 06:17 AM
lel

It's true! xD

projectpat06
03-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Great interview. I know Darby hasn't officially stated anything about random events in the game, and I don't think it's a must in terms of features to make the game great or at least on the same level of the other games. I do, however, think that random events would be a step in the right direction to enhance the immersion and overall fun of the game. If you can make this happen, that would be awesome. I'm stoked regardless. I asked on the forum back when AC3 came out for a open world sailing DLC with islands and towns to explore. Instead, Im getting an entire game so Thank You!

My biggest concern/ worry comes the last few sequences of AC3. I know Darby was not involved, but the end of the game in Connor's life seemed rushed and a little anti climatic (aside from the ending to the homestead story. That was pretty awesome). The beginning of AC3 with Haytham was done so well in terms of presentation. It's hard to explain, but the presentation of the story towards the end felt choppy. It was like this just happened, ok now let's immediately move on to the next part without investing too much time...end sequence and cut to loading screen. Am I the only who feels this way??

So, Darby, I'm looking to forward to an awesome story that blows any other game "out of the water", and I wish you the best of luck.

roostersrule2
03-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Great interview. I know Darby hasn't officially stated anything about random events in the game, and I don't think it's a must in terms of features to make the game great or at least on the same level of the other games. I do, however, think that random events would be a step in the right direction to enhance the immersion and overall fun of the game. If you can make this happen, that would be awesome. I'm stoked regardless. I asked on the forum back when AC3 came out for a open world sailing DLC with islands and towns to explore. Instead, Im getting an entire game so Thank You!

My biggest concern/ worry comes the last few sequences of AC3. I know Darby was not involved, but the end of the game in Connor's life seemed rushed and a little anti climatic (aside from the ending to the homestead story. That was pretty awesome). The beginning of AC3 with Haytham was done so well in terms of presentation. It's hard to explain, but the presentation of the story towards the end felt choppy. It was like this just happened, ok now let's immediately move on to the next part without investing too much time...end sequence and cut to loading screen. Am I the only who feels this way??

So, Darby, I'm looking to forward to an awesome story that blows any other game "out of the water", and I wish you the best of luck.Remember Darby wrote ACR, the back end of that game was amazing really, we're in good hands here.

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Remember Darby wrote ACR, the back end of that game was amazing really, we're in good hands here.

Agreed. ACR had THE best AC ending IMO. Infact it was polar opposite to AC3. AC3 started out great, kinda slacked in the middle and ended rushedly. ACR started out slow, picked up speed in the middle and ended awesomely.

Also, its good to see he knows what fans are discussing and want on forums. Raises hopes that our feedback is actually being taken into consideration. :')

roostersrule2
03-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Agreed. ACR had THE best AC ending IMO. Infact it was polar opposite to AC3. AC3 started out great, kinda slacked in the middle and ended rushedly. ACR started out slow, picked up speed in the middle and ended awesomely.

Also, its good to see he knows what fans are discussing and want on forums. Raises hopes that our feedback is actually being taken into consideration. :')I actually hated AC3's beginning at first, I loved from about sequence 9-11 though. Wasn't until my 2nd playthrough that I really loved AC3's story.

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 06:56 AM
I actually hated AC3's beginning at first, I loved from about sequence 9-11 though. Wasn't until my 2nd playthrough that I really loved AC3's story.

There's a reason for it. Most of us expected to be playing as Connor from the get-go. So through the Haytham sequences we're like aww ****.. when will this end and the real fun begin! But now that we've seen the full story, we appreciate the Haytham starting more. :D Atleast that's what its like for me.

roostersrule2
03-24-2013, 07:03 AM
There's a reason for it. Most of us expected to be playing as Connor from the get-go. So through the Haytham sequences we're like aww ****.. when will this end and the real fun begin! But now that we've seen the full story, we appreciate the Haytham starting more. :D Atleast that's what its like for me.Nah I read IGN's review so I knew I was Haytham at first, I just I thought maybe a hour of Haytham tops.

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Nah I read IGN's review so I knew I was Haytham at first, I just I thought maybe a hour of Haytham tops.

Good to see I was not the only spoiled person.

roostersrule2
03-24-2013, 07:07 AM
Good to see I was not the only spoiled person.They more implied it then spoiled it though.

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 07:10 AM
They more implied it then spoiled it though.

Ah well... :| I knew exactly who and what Haytham was before the game even arrived at my doorsteps. And it wasn't my fault. -_-

roostersrule2
03-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Ah well... :| I knew exactly who and what Haytham was before the game even arrived at my doorsteps. And it wasn't my fault. -_-I kinda did, I only read the blurb of the book.

Spider_Sith9
03-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Ah well... :| I knew exactly who and what Haytham was before the game even arrived at my doorsteps. And it wasn't my fault. -_-
TvTropes did me in. :(

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 07:31 AM
TvTropes did me in. :(

After visiting TvTropes and getting well versed with all the existing tropes, you'll find yourself unable to enjoy any story. That's why I left that site for good.

Spider_Sith9
03-24-2013, 07:54 AM
After visiting TvTropes and getting well versed with all the existing tropes, you'll find yourself unable to enjoy any story. That's why I left that site for good.

Never understood the hate for that place. The place got boring with the destruction of TroperTales and the Funny Worlds pages.

I loved when I first found it via a link to Foot Focus (don't ask) and Silverwing. Shade is awesome. Runt back who broke the law to one who united the Birds and the Beasts during the second war between it. And finally giving his life to protect his child from a God.

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Its mainly that after getting well acquainted with the tropes you'd be thinking yeah.. its this trope, its that trope being used there, instead of concentrating on the story. Atleast it was so for me. Ignorance is a bliss they say. I ain't want no such knowledge.

Spider_Sith9
03-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Why do I compare Shade to Altair/Ezio/Desmond? If Connor become the Leader of the Assassins (though I don't find him as Leader material) he'd be the perfect Shade Silverwing of AC.

Also, if You are the protagonist in AC4:BF. Who is the canon You?

Dosenwabe
03-24-2013, 02:57 PM
I liked this unsatisfying storytelling in modern day. Where you had to search and work for yourself to get the answers to some questions. But what McDevitt said in the interview about the time after 2012 is just right. It had to change now, sadly.

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Sooo.. the big implication is that when AC4 comes out we'd be one year after Juno was released in the game timeline. Sure want to see or read about some destruction. Also, what he said about the modern day character: That he starts the game as a simple employee, first day of his new job, but soon realizes something's off.. makes it look like the modern day will not be as devoid of content as people are assuming.

lothario-da-be
03-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Sooo.. the big implication is that when AC4 comes out we'd be one year after Juno was released in the game timeline. Sure want to see or read about some destruction. Also, what he said about the modern day character: That he starts the game as a simple employee, first day of his new job, but soon realizes something's off.. makes it look like the modern day will not be as devoid of content as people are assuming.
Does this mean the modern day story goes as fast as real life? That would be very stupid imo.

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Does this mean the modern day story goes as fast as real life? That would be very stupid imo.

Probably means we'll be playing as one modern protagonist for one game, then another one for the next, and so on. And the intermediate time passes between the games.

lothario-da-be
03-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Probably means we'll be playing as one modern protagonist for one game, then another one for the next, and so on. And the intermediate time passes between the games.
I don't see how they will continue the Juno plot then.

pirate1802
03-24-2013, 03:26 PM

Why not? In this game you are an Abstergo employee, stuff happens, story progresses. Juno does something.

In the next game you are an Assassin janitor. More stuff happens, story progresses again. Juno still being a *****. The janitor finds a way to defeat Juno in a Templar toilet.

D.I.D.
03-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Why not? In this game you are an Abstergo employee, stuff happens, story progresses. Juno does something.

In the next game you are an Assassin janitor. More stuff happens, story progresses again. Juno still being a *****. The janitor finds a way to defeat Juno in a Templar toilet.

SPOILERS :mad:

montagemik
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM

12-21-12 = D.igital N.etwork A.rchive down ..................Investigating ! (Abstergo infiltrated by Juno ?? )

Abstergo investigate the Archive intrusion ...........That's OUR job at Abstergo . We discover something about Juno / Erudito.

I'm still convinced at this point AC4: BF is just an Abstergo perspective story - & we'll see another AC4 SUBtitled game continuing the Assassin perspective of the story , following the AC3 finale directly . (that's my Hope at this point anyway)

lothario-da-be
03-24-2013, 07:18 PM
12-21-12 = D.igital N.etwork A.rchive down ..................Investigating ! (Abstergo infiltrated by Juno ?? )

Abstergo investigate the Archive intrusion ...........That's OUR job at Abstergo . We discover something about Juno / Erudito.

I'm still convinced at this point AC4: BF is just an Abstergo perspective story - & we'll see another AC4 SUBtitled game continuing the Assassin perspective of the story , following the AC3 finale directly . (that's my Hope at this point anyway)
Possible, but i'am still not convinced.

Sushiglutton
03-24-2013, 09:39 PM

LOL :D, I can't wait to play as a templar janitor!

Jack_Pirate
03-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Lots of good information in that video

Legendz54
03-24-2013, 11:24 PM

Old modern day characters will return so Its probably not ONLY Abstergo perspective, i suspect near the end of the game this guy will join the Assassins.

ajl992008
03-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Old modern day characters will return so Its probably not ONLY Abstergo perspective, i suspect near the end of the game this guy will join the Assassins.
thats what i thought too, i mean what present day templar characters are left? lucy, vidic and cross are gone so this must mean that shaun, Rebecca and bill are coming back.

Kaschra
03-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Nice, informative interview.

I love both Revelations and Embers, so having Darby McDevitt again is a good thing in my eyes.

pirate1802
03-25-2013, 03:44 AM

Darby did say that the guy would find out something's wrong, so there's a high possibility of that happening!