PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Ubisoft will lie again about random events?

pacmanate
03-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Its been mentioned at Pax East 2013, it was mentioned throughout 2012 for AC3, it was mentioned for AC:R. That is all, vote now!

I know my recent posts about AC4 have been very mellow and critical, but only because I love the franchise so much that I don't want it to become crap and eventually fizzle out for those of you wondering :P

MadJC1986
03-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Its been mentioned at Pax East 2013, it was mentioned throughout 2012 for AC3, it was mentioned for AC:R. That is all, vote now!

I know my recent posts about AC4 have been very mellow and critical, but only because I love the franchise so much that I don't want it to become crap and eventually fizzle out for those of you wondering :P

Well, I'm glad they mentioned it, so maybe there is a little chance that we might get random events. I guess i am an optimist.
And about your posts being critical; I think this is a good thing. I love the franchise, too, but constructive criticism can help it get better. And there is a lot of potential.
Sadly most criticism on these forums is everything but constructive.

I-Like-Pie45
03-22-2013, 11:59 PM
In the end, we'll only see one of the promised random events.

The rest will be all mysteriously missing from the game.

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 12:08 AM
In the end, we'll only see one of the promised random events.

The rest will be all mysteriously missing from the game.

Almost like somebody... lied to us for 3 years :@.

ACfan443
03-23-2013, 12:10 AM
I voted yes (for the reasons you mentioned), but I guess the random events in ToKW are a start, even though they're pretty boring.

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Being "seamless" seems like a much bigger concern for them this time, so maybe they'll stand by their word to fulfil their vision of a seamless world.

projectpat06
03-23-2013, 12:33 AM
I think we will have random events to a certain degree. We had them technically in Ac3 with the caravans and such but most people want something as seamless and realistic as the random events in red dead redemption. With less than a year left till release and only a year after the release of Ac3 (which didn't have the random events and lively world we expected), I don't think we'll see them in the form everyone wants. I'm hoping that I am completely wrong and random things will happen out in the ocean and on land with us having to go look for it. What makes random events so great is that they interrupt the player in whatever he or she is doing. They should never consist of some marker that appears on the map for us to have to go looking for it. If ubisoft capitalizes on the unique side events of the homestead in ac3 and makes them limitless plus makes random huge battles between two sides limitless that we can stumble upon, then I can be satisfied given the small amount of production time

monster_rambo
03-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Random events? Probably not going to happen. Even if there are random events, they are probably not interesting. Let's just pray that is the complete opposite of what I said.

Assassin_M
03-23-2013, 02:53 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahhh..ohhh...ohhhhh..oohhhhhh they mentioned it didn't they ?

Who wants to have a Bieber bet ? From those who voted no

Megas_Doux
03-23-2013, 03:09 AM
Who wants to have a Bieber bet ? From those who voted no

For what is worth, Im sorry.....

Just kidding haha.

Cornik22
03-23-2013, 03:19 AM
Anyone remember this?

The side missions have been done away with in Revelations and the game will now feature random events in an attempt to make its world more immersive. As an example, while traveling through the city you might run by a shop owner who is being robbed and decide to help him, or a little girl asking for help

or this?

One of the improvements to the game is the unpredictability of the surroundings. Random events occur more often and when been pursued by an enemy you now have the option of climbing in open windows.

As you play, you will come across random missions that will pit you against the British in order to save a local. These missions are not required to beat the game, but completing them will give you the advantage of having the people be more sympathetic to you. For example, helping rescue a man from British stocks may later result in a citizen opening their window to allow you to run through their house and escape pursuing guards.

Nuff said.

Biomedical-Fire
03-23-2013, 03:26 AM
​Of course they will, they've done it before, what's to keep them from doing it again?

Assassin_M
03-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Anyone remember this?

or this?

Nuff said.

Indeed..

GunnarGunderson
03-23-2013, 03:30 AM
I'd rather have no random events than have to press X not to die every time a shark jumps onto my boat

ProletariatPleb
03-23-2013, 03:57 AM
Well we have random events in TOKW, even if they're....primitive. I don't see why we can't have random events in IV when we have a simpler form of them in TOKW.

projectpat06
03-23-2013, 03:58 AM
Anyone remember this?

or this?

Nuff said.

I really wish we could get an explanation on why this all got scrapped or was never developed. Hopefully some interviewer will have the guts to ask them about the random events in Ac4 or will it be another lie like in AC3 then read out these previous quotes

kriegerdesgottes
03-23-2013, 05:09 AM
*sigh* I voted yes because they probably will take out half the stuff the said/showed before the game comes out as usual.

Assassin_M
03-23-2013, 05:21 AM
See, i was surfing and I came across this little gem on why Rockstar has huge gaps between every release of Information about GTA V

http://www.examiner.com/article/gta-5-absence-of-news-commented-on-by-rockstar-games

Quoted from article

As we have said before, we have often had long gaps between asset releases on previous games and will continue to do so in the future. We are sorry if you find this frustrating, but please understand, we don't do this because we 'don't care about our fans', 'don't respect our fans', 'hate GTA fans etc..We do it because we want to make sure we only release 100% correct information,

Farlander1991
03-23-2013, 05:22 AM
I think there needs to be an understanding that any statement made by a game dev mid development is neither truth or lie. What it actually means is, 'We want to have this implemented this way in a game, we have enough schedule with enough buffer time allocated to implement this properly, but if there are unforseen complications in this or other area of the game, it may end up being in the game not the way we wanted it to be or not in the game at all'.

Assassin_M
03-23-2013, 05:26 AM
I think there needs to be an understanding that any statement made by a game dev mid development is neither truth or lie. What it actually means is, 'We want to have this implemented this way in a game, we have enough schedule with enough buffer time allocated to implement this properly, but if there are unforseen complications in this or other area of the game, it may end up being in the game not the way we wanted it to be or not in the game at all'.
Yeah well see, the thing is, 99.99% of the fans are not in the business of game design, nor do they care about it. They`re not into the philosophy of what a Developer meant or did not mean, they`re not looking for cryptic messages or any of the sort. We`re getting information about a game and if what you say IS true and that`s MAYBE what a developer means, then that`s absolutely wrong of a developer to do...he`s not talking to his boss about whether or not they`ll be able to insert this piece into the game on time..he`s talking to fans who know NOTHING about game design and just want to buy the game and enjoy it based on info released about it..

Farlander1991
03-23-2013, 05:28 AM
Yeah well see, the thing is, 99.99% of the fans are not in the business of game design, nor do they care about it. They`re not into the philosophy of what a Developer meant or did not mean, they`re not looking for cryptic messages or any of the sort. We`re getting information about a game and if what you say IS true and that`s MAYBE what a developer means, then that`s absolutely wrong of a developer to do...he`s not talking to his boss about whether or not they`ll be able to insert this piece into the game on time..he`s talking to fans who know NOTHING about game design and just want to buy the game and enjoy it for what has been released from info about it..

Well, what I'm trying to say is that devs don't try to lie to players or just overhype them, they genuinely believe that what they're saying is the way it's going to be. It's just that sometimes sadly **** happens. (Actually, **** always happens, I'm not sure there ever has been or ever will be an absolutely smooth development cycle).

Assassin_M
03-23-2013, 05:37 AM
Well, what I'm trying to say is that devs don't try to lie to players or just overhype them, they genuinely believe that what they're saying is the way it's going to be. It's just that sometimes sadly **** happens. (Actually, **** always happens, I'm not sure there ever has been or ever will be an absolutely smooth development cycle).
I`m sure they`re very passionate about what they do and maybe they sincerely do not mean to mislead, but if **** happens (and I know it will) isn't it at least right to tell the costumer ? for example, you`re at gamestop yeah ? and you ask about an 80GB fat PS3 with the extra controller and 30% off offer. The guy goes to the back, gets you the box, but on the way he slips, box falls, controller breaks inside, he finds out, **** happened.. shouldn't he inform you ?, if he`s still planning to sell it to you, that unfortunately the controller broke ? Maybe offer compensation ? an Independent controller ? I mean he shouldn't just leave you in the dark about a product you`re buying, because **** happened, right ?

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 05:42 AM
I voted no for the sake of optimism, but in really I don't know.

Assassin_M
03-23-2013, 05:43 AM
I voted yes for the sake of optimism, but in really I don't know.
Wait...Yes for optimism ?

Go home, you`re drunk

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 05:46 AM
Ah.. I mean Yes for random events.. No according to this poll. xD Not getting into a beiber sig bet with you however, I know better.

Assassin_M
03-23-2013, 05:52 AM
Ah.. I mean Yes for random events.. No according to this poll. xD Not getting into a beiber sig bet with you however, I know better.
Dammit....though you escape me this day...i`ll paint this forum biebs shame soon..

feclmunday
03-23-2013, 07:03 AM
Dammit....though you escape me this day...i`ll paint this forum biebs shame soon..

Go on then, I bet they will have procedurally generated random events in IV. When I win you can have a lovely picture of Mubarak huging a My Little Brony.

Assassin_M
03-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Go on then, I bet they will have procedurally generated random events in IV. When I win you can have a lovely picture of Mubarak huging a My Little Brony.
Bet`s on...if I win, you`ll use a hand made Bieber sig for 12 weeks

ProletariatPleb
03-23-2013, 07:06 AM
procedurally generated random events
Procedurally generated? Now that would be a dream...

feclmunday
03-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Bet`s on...if I win, you`ll use a hand made Bieber sig for 12 weeks

We will meet again in November...

Assassin_M
03-23-2013, 07:14 AM
We will meet again in November...
Indeed..may the best man win

roostersrule2
03-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Indeed..may the best man winOh I'm not playing a part in this sorry.

Assassin_M
03-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Oh I'm not playing a part in this sorry.
Your attempt at humor is misplaced :|

OK maybe it was a BIT funny, but not enough, peasant..

roostersrule2
03-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Your attempt at humor is misplaced :|

OK maybe it was a BIT funny, but not enough, peasant..My humor is watered down by forum rules.

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 07:30 AM
12 weeks? :O

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 09:00 AM

And maybe Morsy too, with a bunch of other Muslim Brotherhood members. Double the shame.

UrDeviant1
03-23-2013, 12:36 PM
I expect they'll be in this time. Will they be decently implemented? probably not.

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 02:23 PM
So Darby McDevitt tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/DarbyMcDevitt/status/315253932840607744

Saying this article - http://m.technobuffalo.com/2013/03/22/assassins-creed-iv-to-be-as-open-and-seamless-as-possible/ about was about seemlessness and not about random events.

Problem is, he used random events as an example. So yes, that article was about seemless random events as well as seemless loading times etc.

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Loading screens would still be present for the cities right?

ArabianFrost
03-23-2013, 02:59 PM
So Darby McDevitt tweeted this:

Saying this article - http://m.technobuffalo.com/2013/03/22/assassins-creed-iv-to-be-as-open-and-seamless-as-possible/ about was about seemlessness and not about random events.

Problem is, he used random events as an example. So yes, that article was about seemless random events as well as seemless loading times etc.
So no signatures of shame, yet?

Sushiglutton
03-23-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm not really sure why everyone is so obsessed with random events. They are just really short, generic, mini-missions that happens randomly. I wouldn't mind if they were included ofc, and they do make the world come more alive. But if it was one thing AC3 had no shortage of, it was low-quality generic side-content. For me the quality of the campaign and the fleshed out side missions is far more important. In my opinion AC is in desperate need of shifting focus from quantity to quality.

pirate1802
03-23-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm not really sure why everyone is so obsessed with random events. They are just really short, generic, mini-missions that happens randomly. I wouldn't mind if they were included ofc, and they do make the world come more alive. But if it was one thing AC3 had no shortage of, it was low-quality generic side-content. For me the quality of the campaign and the fleshed out side missions is far more important. In my opinion AC is in desperate need of shifting focus from quantity to quality.

It makes the world feel alive. It enhances the longevity of the game. In Ac3 almost all side contents are scripted. After you're done with them you're left with an awesome world with nothing to do in it. The great thing about random events are that they are random. they can happen anytime, over and over again. Suppose what they said gets actually implemented; you are chilling in Havana when suddenly a guy comes and steals your moneybag. Or sometimes some poor lady comes to you and begs to stop the bullies robbing her house. All of these happening randomly and unscripted. See? It increases the immersion and life of the game.

Sushiglutton
03-23-2013, 03:35 PM
It makes the world feel alive. It enhances the longevity of the game. In Ac3 almost all side contents are scripted. After you're done with them you're left with an awesome world with nothing to do in it. The great thing about random events are that they are random. they can happen anytime, over and over again. Suppose what they said gets actually implemented; you are chilling in Havana when suddenly a guy comes and steals your moneybag. Or sometimes some poor lady comes to you and begs to stop the bullies robbing her house. All of these happening randomly and unscripted. See? It increases the immersion and life of the game.

Yeah I agree with that, it's just that I think the priority is to get the campaign back on track, because I really hated what Ubi did to it in AC3. Another, more easy, fix would be to make the more fleshed out sidecontent replayable (like the forts). I did like the way RE were implemented in RDR though, so in the long run it's def something I want. But to me AC is a bit lost in space atm so I want the devs to focus on getting the basics right first.

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Just a reminder, I would wait and see the final articles and statements, before jumping to assumptions made due to tweets or short comments from unofficial sources,

lothario-da-be
03-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Just a reminder, I would wait and see the final articles and statements, before jumping to assumptions made due to tweets or short comments from unofficial sources,
This, it would be cool if the game has them, but i'am not hoping for it.

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Well it appears many are assuming this article is about a random event?

It was a example of the travel system - no loading between areas / cities etc - NOT as an example of random events /gameplay - it was an example..

http://m.technobuffalo.com/2013/03/22/assassins-creed-iv-to-be-as-open-and-seamless-as-possible/

The article is about the open world nature of the game - I fear many are reading too much into it.

If there are some random events - they have not announced /said anything about them yet.

pacmanate
03-23-2013, 07:56 PM
^ okay maybe so. but they will still **** up random events :P

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 08:00 PM
^ okay maybe so. but they will still **** up random events :P
Not if there are none.. so it's unfair to say that...

Roanark
03-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Being "seamless" seems like a much bigger concern for them this time, so maybe they'll stand by their word to fulfil their vision of a seamless world.
I honestly don't care about a seamless world, not even a little, I care far more about quality gameplay and so far they've been rather lacking the last couple years.
Along with a new multiplayer, kinda' getting bored of playing the same one for three years.

Sushiglutton
03-23-2013, 08:45 PM
I honestly don't care about a seamless world, not even a little, I care far more about quality gameplay and so far they've been rather lacking the last couple years.
Along with a new multiplayer, kinda' getting bored of playing the same one for three years.

I think the seamless world is very important for immersion and I'm really glad they are pursuing it. Otherwise the naval gameplay would once again feel like a seperate part of the game. The idea to dive off your ship, swim ashore and then explore is very appealing to me.

Same with seamless boarding and that will also have gameplay implications. Since the boarding is not happening within a cutscene we get to choose how it is done. That means we can climb the mast on or ship and then jum to the other ship's mast, or we can just jump over normally, or we can dive off our ship, swim around (or even under) and then climb the other ship from the opposite side. Seamless gameplay means more options.

ACfan443
03-23-2013, 09:37 PM
I think the seamless world is very important for immersion and I'm really glad they are pursuing it. Otherwise the naval gameplay would once again feel like a seperate part of the game. The idea to dive off your ship, swim ashore and then explore is very appealing to me.

This. If they had kept naval free roam in AC3, the system would have felt much more cohesive with the game world.

Mr_Shade
03-23-2013, 09:44 PM
This. If they had kept naval free roam in AC3, the system would have felt much more cohesive with the game world.
Indeed - I think that is something I would have liked to see, however at the time it wasn't possible..

Can't wait to play this:)

jenyto
03-24-2013, 07:54 AM
If we do get random events, I want some to be triggered differently.
Like say for recruits, we could be randomly walking and we hear people talking about someone looking for a job and blah blah and where they are at. Then you could just go to that area and find your new recruit!