PDA

View Full Version : Edward Kenway; Assassin Dad?

LoyalACFan
03-22-2013, 04:32 AM
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Jenny_Kenway

WTF? I can't believe I've overlooked this til now. The game starts when his daughter is 2, and lasts until she's 12. Could we be playing as an Assassin in a father role for the first time? That would be... pretty significant, actually. It would be a completely new spin on things, alleviating any concerns that Edward is just "Ezio 2.0". A young pirate out for fame and fortune, but also providing for his child back on land. I must admit, I'm intrigued.

I really hope it's not restricted to just "Edward returns home in the final sequence, discovers daughter exists, happy ending."

LoyalACFan
03-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Come on, people... -__-

Assassin_M
03-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Assassins Creed is not about having a daughter FARARARRFARFRFASVGAVVRAFASGAGAGAGAGAAA

pirate1802
03-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I noticed that a long while ago, thanks to a fanart showing Edward standing on the shores holding the hand of a little girl. It was not official art, but it was beautiful. That was the moment when it dawned upon me that w've never seen an Assassin with a family, within the game. And that's why I laugh a little when people here describe him as Ezio 2.0. And yes, its very interestingg. A pirate who has to look after his family, throw in his selfishness and piratey lifestyle, and you have a very interesting and ambiguous buildup.

Surprised that it took you so long.. you should be ashamed to call yourself a Loyal AC Fan :p

LoyalACFan
03-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Surprised that it took you so long.. you should be ashamed to call yourself a Loyal AC Fan :p

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/33437778.jpg

But considering I never got my hands on Forsaken, I think I can be forgiven. I was thinking Haytham's sister was younger than him.

silvermercy
03-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Yes, apparently he's divorced from his first wife (she left him I think) and has a little daughter when AC starts. Well, according to Forsaken at least...

Does Forsaken mention how he meets his 2nd wife and if she knows about his previous lifestyle as a pirate/assassin? I'm not sure. I'd love to see this happen and I'd love to see little Haytham!

jenyto
03-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Yes, apparently he's divorced from his first wife (she left him I think) and has a little daughter when AC starts. Well, according to Forsaken at least...

Does Forsaken mention how he meets his 2nd wife and if she knows about his previous lifestyle as a pirate/assassin? I'm not sure. I'd love to see this happen and I'd love to see little Haytham!

No mention of his previous lifstyle since it's from PoV of Haytham who was pretty much in the dark. I think I remember a passing about when he met his 2nd wife, I know that it's thanks to her that they have the recidence at Queen Anne's, so she's from a rich family at the very least.

silvermercy
03-22-2013, 02:29 PM
No mention of his previous lifstyle since it's from PoV of Haytham who was pretty much in the dark. I think I remember a passing about when he met his 2nd wife, I know that it's thanks to her that they have the recidence at Queen Anne's, so she's from a rich family at the very least.
I see... Thanks! Yes, it's probably only Haytham being in the dark about his dad's past.
Now I'm even more curious as to how Haytham's parents really met! Maybe he saw her wearing expensive jewels and abducted her! lol

jenyto
03-22-2013, 02:51 PM
His 2nd wife didn't seem to know much about his lifestyle either, so I think that he met her a while after quitting being a pirate and kept it secret.
His daughter Jenny knew about his work though, so his wife probably knew of it as well. There were rumors as well about his work, since Haytham's kid neightbor asked him about it, but he couldn't answer of course since he knew nothing.
He eventually asked Jenny aboout the rumors, but only got cryptic answers and about how ignorant he is.

guardian_titan
03-22-2013, 03:17 PM
If I recall, Edward met Tessa who was the daughter of some merchant. She came from a wealthy family at any rate. Her father disapproved of her relationship with Edward but she married him anyway resulting in them disowning her. Hence why Haytham never knew his mother's side of the family. Truthfully, Edward would've had a lot of wealth from his piracy days so Tessa's wealth wouldn't have ultimately been needed anyway. He could've married a scullery maid and still been well off.

As for Caroline, divorce wasn't all too common in the era and was difficult to get when you could get it. Divorce was still difficult to get even 50 years ago. Caroline and Edward were just separated when Edward went to the Caribbean. That was my impression from an article mentioning Caroline around the time of AC4's announcement anyway. I'm still betting on something happening to Caroline (likely her murder) resulting in Edward giving up piracy to go raise Jenny. He likely would know about Jenny during the course of the game so would be cute if we got little side missions to find dolls, dresses, etc to send back to England for her. Somehow, I doubt Jenny will actually be in the game outside of maybe the epilogue. Would be cute for her to take a trip to the Caribbean and see her sailing the Jackdaw with Edward standing behind her, though ... and then she gets kidnapped by Templars leading to her learning her father's an assassin. :p Wonder how they explain how she knew her father was an assassin. :confused:

And then on Edward being Ezio 2.0, his view on sex could be similar to how Caterina used Ezio at the beginning of AC2B. He does it to get information but doesn't sleep around casually. The fact that he has a daughter would likely also influence him in that situation. Would he start out sleeping with any woman he saw only for him to suddenly become mostly celibate when he learns he has a daughter? He could go from a womanizer to over protective father in that instant. He's supposed to grapple with being a pirate and an assassin. Throw in father as well if he's aware of Jenny at some point during the game. He's obviously protective of Jenny and adores her. Any other father during the time period likely would've married his daughter off by the time she was 20. He just allowed Jenny to toy with all of her suitors and even Reginald.

We really don't know when the game is set outside of the date on the poster (1715). We know Jenny is born in 1713, but Edward and Caroline appear to have been separated by that point with him in the Caribbean. Caroline had stayed in England. Caroline could've written a letter to tell Edward he had a daughter or someone else Edward knew could've done that. Begs the question how he'd know how to read, though. Literacy rates weren't that high then and Edward came from a poor family. :confused: Yet he obviously knew how to read and write if he wrote a book on precursors that Reginald later stole. Anyway, it's plausible the game is set from 1714 to about 1720. I don't see Edward doing much in the few years prior to Haytham's birth outside of trying to learn to be a noble, being tricked by Reginald, and meeting Tessa. :p

jenyto
03-22-2013, 03:25 PM
He's obviously protective of Jenny and adores her. Any other father during the time period likely would've married his daughter off by the time she was 20. He just allowed Jenny to toy with all of her suitors and even Reginald.

According to Forsaken, Jenny doesn't feel that love though, since she resents Haytham for being Edward's main attention, giving him the training and all, while she was left at the side only to be married off. I think I remember a part where the parents are all 'ya.. we're not sure if she's gonna get married or not' since Jenny seems to be a rather difficult person to deal with.

silvermercy
03-22-2013, 03:37 PM
If I recall, Edward met Tessa who was the daughter of some merchant. She came from a wealthy family at any rate. Her father disapproved of her relationship with Edward but she married him anyway resulting in them disowning her. Hence why Haytham never knew his mother's side of the family. Truthfully, Edward would've had a lot of wealth from his piracy days so Tessa's wealth wouldn't have ultimately been needed anyway. He could've married a scullery maid and still been well off.

As for Caroline, divorce wasn't all too common in the era and was difficult to get when you could get it. Divorce was still difficult to get even 50 years ago. Caroline and Edward were just separated when Edward went to the Caribbean. That was my impression from an article mentioning Caroline around the time of AC4's announcement anyway. I'm still betting on something happening to Caroline (likely her murder) resulting in Edward giving up piracy to go raise Jenny. He likely would know about Jenny during the course of the game so would be cute if we got little side missions to find dolls, dresses, etc to send back to England for her. Somehow, I doubt Jenny will actually be in the game outside of maybe the epilogue. Would be cute for her to take a trip to the Caribbean and see her sailing the Jackdaw with Edward standing behind her, though ... and then she gets kidnapped by Templars leading to her learning her father's an assassin. :p Wonder how they explain how she knew her father was an assassin. :confused:

And then on Edward being Ezio 2.0, his view on sex could be similar to how Caterina used Ezio at the beginning of AC2B. He does it to get information but doesn't sleep around casually. The fact that he has a daughter would likely also influence him in that situation. Would he start out sleeping with any woman he saw only for him to suddenly become mostly celibate when he learns he has a daughter? He could go from a womanizer to over protective father in that instant. He's supposed to grapple with being a pirate and an assassin. Throw in father as well if he's aware of Jenny at some point during the game. He's obviously protective of Jenny and adores her. Any other father during the time period likely would've married his daughter off by the time she was 20. He just allowed Jenny to toy with all of her suitors and even Reginald.

We really don't know when the game is set outside of the date on the poster (1715). We know Jenny is born in 1713, but Edward and Caroline appear to have been separated by that point with him in the Caribbean. Caroline had stayed in England. Caroline could've written a letter to tell Edward he had a daughter or someone else Edward knew could've done that. Begs the question how he'd know how to read, though. Literacy rates weren't that high then and Edward came from a poor family. :confused: Yet he obviously knew how to read and write if he wrote a book on precursors that Reginald later stole. Anyway, it's plausible the game is set from 1714 to about 1720. I don't see Edward doing much in the few years prior to Haytham's birth outside of trying to learn to be a noble, being tricked by Reginald, and meeting Tessa. :p
You raise some very good points. Like the divorce difficulty, the literacy rate in England and how can he be a serial womaniser and protective father at the same time who later becomes a loyal husband again (these behavioural patterns don't usually match from your average sociological point of view, either today or back then. When they exist, they're outliers). He must have divorced of course at some point though. He can't be a bigamist! Right!? lol

All this assuming of course the game follows Forsaken to a great degree...

Assassin_M
03-22-2013, 03:38 PM

that was actually well thought out

LoyalACFan
03-24-2013, 10:51 AM
that was actually well thought out

Indeed. The only flaw I see with it is that the devs have mentioned that the game spans roughly a decade; so 1715-1725ish? I could easily see how meeting his second wife and deciding to settle down again (ultimately resulting in Haytham's birth) could be contributing factors to his decision to leave piracy behind and go back to (or stay in) England.