PDA

View Full Version : Making Assassin's Creed IV's Multiplayer Relevant by ign

V-FOR-VITIELLO
03-20-2013, 06:58 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/20/making-assassins-creed-ivs-multiplayer-relevant

With Black Flag on the horizon, Ubisoft needs to take some risks on the online front.

Ubisoft has taken us on quite a ride alongside the Assassin's Creed franchise over the past six years. At its height, the series delivered award contenders that transported players to fully-realized historical settings and helped redefine the open-world genre. The characters captivated, and the amazing sense of place left us in awe. But as the series morphed into an annualized product, many of us were left feeling that a lot of the magic contained within the series had fallen along the wayside. One major victim of this oversaturation has been the multiplayer.

Assassin's Creed is still viewed primarily as a single-player experience. Unlike Call of Duty, Ubisoft's historical franchise has never been able to create a strong enough multiplayer that stands on its own as a reason to purchase each new installment on a yearly basis. This certainly isn't for lack of trying -- since Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood back in 2010, each subsequent entry has placed a growing emphasis on the multiplayer component of the package, and yet the gaming masses haven't seemed to bite quite yet. Despite containing a good-intentioned suite of interesting ideas, the online portion of the series seems to be missing that special something that makes gamers addicted for hundreds of hours. Here are a few ideas that Ubisoft could use to help right the ship and make AC's multiplayer relevant.

Battlefield 1715

Ubisoft has confirmed that there will not be multiplayer naval battles in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and to be perfectly honest, I see this as a huge mistake. One of the immediate ways to differentiate Black Flag from nearly any other game on the market is to embrace its naval core across both single and multiplayer. Few games outside of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker have ever given players free rein to explore the open seas in their own personal vessel, let alone do that in an open, multiplayer arena. Imagine being given the freedom to complete an assassination by scurrying along the rooftops, charging a horse through city streets, or commandeer a ship and attacking your target from the water. By taking a cue from DICE's Battlefield series, Ubisoft could turn AC's multiplayer into a major online contender.

The major objective here is to make each match unfold as an event. The players should feel like they are a small part in a much larger conflict, and the best way to do that is to widen the scope of the maps. Instead of having us lurk around confined urban spaces, use the breadth of the Caribbean to create arenas that stretch beyond the horizon. Picture a team having to defend an island outpost from an armada of ships barreling towards the coast. You could man the cannons, sail a ship of your own, or attempt to sneak aboard their vessel and take out your enemies one by one. Instead of pigeonholing players into a single type of gameplay experience, Ubisoft should give us the freedom to assassinate however we choose.

The Social Network

Still, hope remains that Black Flag's seafaring won't necessarily be a lonely affair. I think I speak for a lot of AC fans when I say that it's about time for the series to allow us to gather up a handful of buddies, enter a full version of the single-player world, and just run amuck across Ubisoft's beautifully crafted environments. Imagine having Edward Kenway's ship, the Jackdaw, populated by a crew of real-life players. While one person is at the wheel, the others could be wandering around the deck, heading down to the hold, or playing lookout for any number of the islands scattered about the environment. The potential for tropical raids, ship-to-ship combat, and naval exploration would be endless if Ubisoft allowed us to do it with a group of friends. Honestly, if Crackdown was able to deliver multiplayer sandbox mayhem in 2007, surely Ubisoft can do the same six years later.

Crackdown isn't the only game Ubisoft should look to for inspiration. More recently, Dead Space 3 placed a heavy emphasis on cooperative play by fencing off some of the game's best missions from players who were going it alone. If Ubisoft created a handful of specific scenarios that could only be accessed by a team of assassins, more players might be compelled to take their acts of piracy online. But if Ubisoft is feeling especially daring, they can take a cue from Journey and seamlessly incorporate multiplayer into the core single-player experience. What if you infiltrated an enemy compound, snuck past the guards, and finally entered your target's chamber only to discover that another player had just stolen your assassination? No matter how good a game's A.I. might be, nothing can compare to the thrill of hunting down a player-controlled character.

Assassinating with Purpose

With Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft is in the unique position of having a multiplayer foundation that exists outside of the tired metropolis of competitive FPS'. Assassin's Creed doesn't have to compete with Call of Duty and Halo, because it offers something completely different than iron sites and perks. Its closest analogues are Ubisoft's own Splinter Cell, and perhaps more importantly, Chris Hecker's upcoming SpyParty.

Available to play primarily at various gaming conventions throughout the past few years, SpyParty might be the purest form of espionage our medium has ever seen. The gist of it is that one player -- a spy -- innocuously mingles with A.I. partygoers, all while attempting to solve a series of objectives. At the same time, a second player -- a sniper -- watches the party from a distance with the goal of discovering which character is being portrayed by his or her opponent. This second player has only one bullet, meaning that they have to be certain they've identified their adversary before pulling the trigger. It's a game that hinges on theatricality, observation, and carefully calculated risks. In short, it's something that Assassin's Creed should strive to be.

Most multiplayer games reward those who are brash, fearless, and willing to do anything to stay in the spotlight. You don't earn prestige in Black Ops II by hiding in a corner and waiting for the rest of the players to take care of each other. But that's not what SpyParty is about; instead of rewarding the player for doing their best John Rambo impression, victory is dependent on patience, intense environmental observation, and a willingness to take part in the long con. It's role-playing in every sense of the word, and Black Flag could certainly learn a thing or two from SpyParty's fearless originality.

While some of these ideas might seem a bit pie in the sky, the fact remains that Ubisoft needs to take some serious risks in order to give their multiplayer a strong and unique voice. With the staggering number of units that each installment of Assassin's Creed moves, the series has what it takes to rival Call of Duty and Halo as pillars of the online community. But until AC does something to make us truly care about its multiplayer, that half of the game will never reach its full potential.

When I first played Assassin’s Creed in 2007, I thought to myself “gees this game would have a sick multiplayer if done right”. Well Ubisoft did add multiplayer and it was terrible, and still is. The problem with it and other great examples of this would be ghost recon advance warfighter and splinter cell double agent; the campaign’s gameplay and physics are amazing, yet when you turn on multiplayer, it is a complete different game. Physics are wrong, the players move to fast, and the control scheme is different, it is a terrible experience. Assassin’s Creed does the same thing as well, which is why I always rent it.

Marty Sliva is an Associate Editor at IGN.

Assassin’s Creed Multiplayer should work like this.

• Players create their own Assassin or Templar to play with in every game, much like in Halo 4 and gta IV. No one likes playing with the stupid gimmicks Ubisoft gives us, we want to use real Assassin robes and hoods, customize our colors and armors, pick nationalities and genders, weapon loudouts, etc.

• Team Deathmatch: Assassins vs. Templars, easy enough right? Characters you play with would be the avatars created for assassins and templars.

• Do not tamper with the gameplay, I want to use the same exact animations, physics, and gameplay from the campaign.

• Sword fights, like the ones in the campaign, I would like to fight other players, not just assassinate.

• Free Mode like in gta IV, the character you play with would be either the assassin or templar that you created, you get to choose.

Assassin’s Creed III Multiplayer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGOshMNo-4E
Vs.
Assassin’s Creed III Campaign http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgnOUQhpGvw

Splinter Cell Double Agent Multiplayer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ggJfXbdARI
Vs.
Splinter Cell Double Agent Campaign http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yzRH4ghnsQ

GRAW 2 Multiplayer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yDsC74le3w
Vs.
GRAW 2 Campaign http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=555zKA3a0to

Do you see how it is all different, even though it is the same game?

Gears of War, Halo, Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc. none of them do this to their games, why does ubisoft? ACIII sucked, but IV has great potential if they can execute it correctly.

HeJurm
03-20-2013, 07:05 PM
No, I think the current multiplayer is what will last for way longer than any other kind of multiplayer. What Ubisoft should be focusing on is how to make the currnet MP more accessible and better working in whole. The idea behind the current MP is simply way better than anything else, only the execution is somewhat lacking. It's lacking but still it's so good that there is a dedicated community and playerbase that keeps on playing the game.

You cannot compare this game's multiplayer to Splinter cell's or GRAW2's. As far as I know, those games alongside with majority of games that "focus" on singleplayer none have a multiplayer community like AC MP has. AC SP with MP is something special, they better not go change it to something average that everyone else is doing as-well.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
03-20-2013, 07:09 PM
I've seen that last part before..............

As for the GTA Free Play MP I actually like this idea kinda MMO style im guessing?

An what if the created a 'Wolfpack' style mode but set in the campaign, where u an other assassins(friends or AI) take on actual mission like how the Assassination Contracts were in AC2 cept It'll be multi-objective

luckyto
03-20-2013, 07:23 PM
No, I think the current multiplayer is what will last for way longer than any other kind of multiplayer. What Ubisoft should be focusing on is how to make the currnet MP more accessible and better working in whole. The idea behind the current MP is simply way better than anything else, only the execution is somewhat lacking. It's lacking but still it's so good that there is a dedicated community and playerbase that keeps on playing the game.

You cannot compare this game's multiplayer to Splinter cell's or GRAW2's. As far as I know, those games alongside with majority of games that "focus" on singleplayer none have a multiplayer community like AC MP has. AC SP with MP is something special, they better not go change it to something average that everyone else is doing as-well.

well said!

V-FOR-VITIELLO
03-20-2013, 11:24 PM
I've seen that last part before..............

As for the GTA Free Play MP I actually like this idea kinda MMO style im guessing?

An what if the created a 'Wolfpack' style mode but set in the campaign, where u an other assassins(friends or AI) take on actual mission like how the Assassination Contracts were in AC2 cept It'll be multi-objective

red dead redemption has an awesome free roam with coop

WyvernKnight27
03-21-2013, 12:06 AM
So you want to take the MP and change it into something that it isn't and never tried to be? A carbon-copy of the SP?

You can't spell "ignorant" without IGN.

SquirrelInDaSky
03-21-2013, 01:21 AM
IGN tries to write an article about improving AC MP, and the first thing they suggest is.............. NAVAL BATTLES ONLINE!!!11oneone
Way to go.

Eternal Reward
03-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Didn't you already post this awhile back and it got locked?

cruzateu
03-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Was it just me or anybody hated the combat in AC3?
I don't like how they are dealing the MP. Because they only fell after ACB MP.But I also think turning the game into a common thing with this tipe of combat and mechanics is just wrong and boring. Counter, counter, counter, counter, counter! I play the SP mainly because of the story, but i prefer much more the MP mechanics.

MRsmith1994
03-21-2013, 04:03 AM
• Players create their own Assassin or Templar to play with in every game, much like in Halo 4 and gta IV. No one likes playing with the stupid gimmicks Ubisoft gives us, we want to use real Assassin robes and hoods, customize our colors and armors, pick nationalities and genders, weapon loudouts, etc.

• Team Deathmatch: Assassins vs. Templars, easy enough right? Characters you play with would be the avatars created for assassins and templars.

• Do not tamper with the gameplay, I want to use the same exact animations, physics, and gameplay from the campaign.

• Sword fights, like the ones in the campaign, I would like to fight other players, not just assassinate.

• Free Mode like in gta IV, the character you play with would be either the assassin or templar that you created, you get to choose.

NONONONONONONONON NO NO NOOOO ALL MY NO'S O_O

DarkDreamer95
03-21-2013, 05:05 AM
Oh my God no. I don't want MP to be an SP copy. The MP is unique and amazing concept wise, all they need to do is handle the execution better.

REYD7
03-21-2013, 05:29 AM
Ugh i don't understand this free roam stuff, if you want that then play single player, its that exactly. And gta multiplayer doesnt even feel like a multiplayer sometimes, just feels like people in a world wandering with no purpose, doing different things far from each other and sometimes interacting.

And if you could create your own "assassin" there would be like 3000 people wearing hoods and be even more generic looking, 300 prowlers, smuggler and sentinel looking people. (not saying those avatars are bad but too much of a good thing is bad."

los95361
03-21-2013, 05:47 AM
I wouldn't like the whole create a charcter thing because first of all you would have 100000 smugglers and prowlers running around and also the personas with customiazation aren't even drastically changed so we would know automatically 'Oh I'm looking for a Lady Maverick or I'm looking for a night Stalker' so having your own character would be hard to know automatically who your target is.

travilanche
03-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Ugh i don't understand this free roam stuff, if you want that then play single player, its that exactly. And gta multiplayer doesnt even feel like a multiplayer sometimes, just feels like people in a world wandering with no purpose, doing different things far from each other and sometimes interacting.

And if you could create your own "assassin" there would be like 3000 people wearing hoods and be even more generic looking, 300 prowlers, smuggler and sentinel looking people. (not saying those avatars are bad but too much of a good thing is bad."

I can't speak for the GTA multiplayer, because I never played GTAIV, but the RDR free roam is awesome. And there is tons of stuff to do there. I myself host a couple of different games that I made up myself. One is a quick draw dueling tournament, where a referee fires a shot and the two duelists draw and shoot. The last man standing is obviously the winner.

The second game I made was a stage coach robbery game, where one group (the lawmen) start out with a stage coach and gatling gun wagon in Blackwater, and have to make it to El Presidio stopping at a couple check points along the way. The outlaws group has to try to steal the stage coach and deliver it to Rathskellar Fork. Both games have always been a blast whenever they've been played.

Assassin's Creed multiplayer free roam could have these sorts of fun events also if enough features were implemented into the map.

I am very disappointed that they have confirmed there are no naval battles in multiplayer. This is a huge mistake. Everyone wanted it in AC:III and there is no reason for them not to oblige this time. It couldn't possibly be that hard to implement.

Dosenwabe
03-21-2013, 02:58 PM
It's too late now for Black Flag I'm afraid but the first big points are so true. Look at Red Dead or GTA4 for Free Roam Multiplayer.

toniee99
03-21-2013, 03:42 PM
it wouldn't work like red dead or gta4 because the games are totally different, those are games with GUNS, and a totally different aiming system.

Single player fighting mechanics WONT work for multi.

Also i bet these IGN people haven't played more than 1 match on the multi on AC.

the only thing i can see is linear co-op missions with 2-4 people, but open world? doubt it

Diffractions
03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
So you want to take the MP and change it into something that it isn't and never tried to be? A carbon-copy of the SP?

You can't spell "ignorant" without IGN.

^

SquirrelInDaSky
03-21-2013, 03:45 PM

Exactly, just imagine people counter attacking each other for 10 minutes.

HeJurm
03-21-2013, 04:00 PM
exactly, just imagine people counter attacking each other for 10 minutes.
lol

Dosenwabe
03-21-2013, 06:31 PM
You don't have to kill each other in free roam... All I want are some more coop possibilities/missions. (+ the separate classic multiplayer of course)

TKpwn
03-21-2013, 08:31 PM
When I first played Assassin’s Creed in 2007, I thought to myself “gees this game would have a sick multiplayer if done right”. Well Ubisoft did add multiplayer and it was terrible, and still is. The problem with it and other great examples of this would be ghost recon advance warfighter and splinter cell double agent; the campaign’s gameplay and physics are amazing, yet when you turn on multiplayer, it is a complete different game. Physics are wrong, the players move to fast, and the control scheme is different, it is a terrible experience. Assassin’s Creed does the same thing as well, which is why I always rent it.

It was terrible and still is?? What? Am I the only one offended by that comment?

luckyto
03-21-2013, 09:45 PM
It was terrible and still is?? What? Am I the only one offended by that comment?

I'm offended by a lot of comments in that article. But mainly, I'm offended that someone passing as a journalist is able pass off his opinions without any research or basis in fact as "news." You would think that anyone writing an article about AC MP would at least take the time to Google or Youtube "Assassin's Creed Multiplayer" and see what kind of community is out there.

In some respects, the physics don't match the in-game physics. I have long thought that players shouldn't be able to jump off buildings without some kind of negative impact (like in SP). And then MP gameplay mechanics such as "jumping towards locked targets" where the developers have decided to break the rules the player has learned in SP and MP about free-running just for that specific instance. But we've come so far now, that I don't know if making drastic changes like former would be for the best. Either way, the physics aren't THAT different than in single-player ... so the reviewer get's a big fail for that too.

alexbentley
03-21-2013, 10:55 PM
it wouldn't work like red dead or gta4 because the games are totally different, those are games with GUNS, and a totally different aiming system.

Also i bet these IGN people haven't played more than 1 match on the multi on AC.

the only thing i can see is linear co-op missions with 2-4 people, but open world? doubt it

THANK YOU. I'm glad somebody else has realised this fatal flaw for a free roam game (or at least been vocal about it).

If I wanted the SP experience I would play the SP. The MP as it is now stands a better chance of reaching CoD/Halo popularity than it would if it was free roam.
And if they were to add a small co-op element, then linear 2 player co-op (local or online) assassination missions would be cool. I'm thinking along the lines of the two player stealth missions in Splinter Cell: Conviction or spec ops in CoD (I think that's what it's called?).

Also that article was poor on all fronts. Loads of grammatical errors and a clear ignorance of the way the current MP works. And this is what passes for journalism these days...

DarkDreamer95
03-30-2013, 05:49 AM

Oh my god I'd just glanced through that article so I didn't notice.
Bloody hell. HOW did that get published?

Moi-dix-Mois43
03-30-2013, 07:17 AM
THANK YOU. I'm glad somebody else has realised this fatal flaw for a free roam game (or at least been vocal about it).

If I wanted the SP experience I would play the SP. The MP as it is now stands a better chance of reaching CoD/Halo popularity than it would if it was free roam.
And if they were to add a small co-op element, then linear 2 player co-op (local or online) assassination missions would be cool. I'm thinking along the lines of the two player stealth missions in Splinter Cell: Conviction or spec ops in CoD (I think that's what it's called?).

Also that article was poor on all fronts. Loads of grammatical errors and a clear ignorance of the way the current MP works. And this is what passes for journalism these days...

Everyone's gonna hate me cause this has nothing to do with anything...but may I just say I f!cking love your signature? It's stunning *~*

Roanark
03-30-2013, 08:26 PM
I think we need a lot of changed, just not in that direction... Co-op would be great but that as the main focus would be terrible.

I do agree we need SP animations and physics though,

alexbentley
03-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Oh my god I'd just glanced through that article so I didn't notice.
Bloody hell. HOW did that get published?

It... didn't. The original article is pretty bad anyway, but that particular paragraph was added in by the v for vitiello guy.

Everyone's gonna hate me cause this has nothing to do with anything...but may I just say I f!cking love your signature? It's stunning *~*

Thank you! Though it was made for me by a talented person I know on another forum. :>

Moi-dix-Mois43
03-30-2013, 10:08 PM
It... didn't. The original article is pretty bad anyway, but that particular paragraph was added in by the v for vitiello guy.

Thank you! Though it was made for me by a talented person I know on another forum. :>

****. Well tell him good job! xD

Grygier
03-30-2013, 10:13 PM
well said!

well said. =P

but yes they need to keep focusing on it's current experience, i will be getting black flag not just for the single player but also because i enjoy the mp.
yes i am expecting changes but i don't need to see something gimmicky like naval combat, social stealth was always ac's focus and should remain as such.