PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the disguises are becoming a cop-out for proper stealth?

LoyalACFan
03-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Everybody says that the stealth in the series has gone downhill, but I never considered one of the things that has changed significantly about it; the disguises. In I, you were completely left to your own devices; since then, they've become rather commonplace.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111205230514/assassinscreed/images/thumb/e/ed/Ezio-guard-ac2.png/150px-Ezio-guard-ac2.pnghttp://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111202005943/assassinscreed/images/thumb/3/34/Ezio-legionary-brotherhood.png/132px-Ezio-legionary-brotherhood.pnghttp://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111202010128/assassinscreed/images/thumb/0/0e/Ezio-french-brotherhood.png/147px-Ezio-french-brotherhood.pnghttp://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111202010222/assassinscreed/images/thumb/7/7e/Ezio-borgia-brotherhood.png/151px-Ezio-borgia-brotherhood.pnghttp://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111201200118/assassinscreed/images/thumb/6/6c/Ezio-minstrel-revelations.png/150px-Ezio-minstrel-revelations.pnghttp://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111201201510/assassinscreed/images/thumb/4/44/Ezio-janissary-revelations.png/150px-Ezio-janissary-revelations.pnghttp://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111201202224/assassinscreed/images/thumb/6/64/Ezio-cappadocia-cloak2.png/150px-Ezio-cappadocia-cloak2.pnghttp://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121226220126/assassinscreed/images/thumb/e/eb/AC3_Redcoat_Uniform.png/180px-AC3_Redcoat_Uniform.pnghttp://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121226185422/assassinscreed/images/thumb/d/d4/AC3_Mercenary_uniform.png/180px-AC3_Mercenary_uniform.png

I mean, in Brotherhood, almost every single Assassination saw you dressing up as somebody else to saunter nonchalantly about in plain view of the guards, and the redcoat uniform in AC3 was used on two separate occasions. Is it just me, or does it defeat the purpose of stealth gameplay if you're not even being looked for or punished for being seen?

emperior
03-19-2013, 11:49 PM
It's stealthier if you dress up as the enemy I think.
It really looks like I'm actually an assassin. Infiltration is stealth.

BATISTABUS
03-19-2013, 11:57 PM
In AC1, social stealth only really existed because you could pose as a scholar.

Infiltrations are my favorite types of missions in AC. While I prefer the ones where you must go completely unseen, I don't mind mixing it up like this. Social stealth in the way that it was originally conceived is no longer realistically possible, and if the AC franchise wishes to push the stealth element further, the dev teams are going to have to create new tools and systems. Stalking zones were a good start, but adding disguises is also a legitimate option.

Maybe someone who actually played Liberation could talk about how well the "personas" feature and if it worked well?

Sushiglutton
03-20-2013, 12:03 AM
I don't mind that a few missions use disguises. Social stealth doesn't make much sense with the standard assassin outfit. I mean the first thing you would do if you planned to hide in the crowd, is to dress like the crowd. In AC1 you walked among a group of monks armed to the teeth and that looked kind of iffy. Best way is to use disguises for missions in which you hide in the crowd and then have the assassin's outfit when you use the rooftops to infiltrate. These type of stealth scenarios are different ofc and so the rules for guard detection should be different. I agree with you that it's fairly hard to make the first kind of scenario as fun to play as the second, so the disguise missions should be relatively few. One way to balance it is to make it challenging and perhaps optional to obtain the disguises.

ACfan443
03-20-2013, 12:10 AM
I don't see it being a problem, it's not that often used anyway. In AC3's case, you were in a redcoat disguise in the mission where you had to free the captives, however you were still able to be detected by the higher ranking inspectors and on the ship, so that still gave the player incentive to utilise stealth opportunities.

Besides, Far Cry 3 uses disguises, and that's a pretty good stealth game.

Assassin_M
03-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Disguises are a part of the social stealth people have been longing for...It`s true they want "AC I" social stealth, but disguises ARE a part of social stealth..

TheHumanTowel
03-20-2013, 01:00 AM
It doesn't happen often enough to be a cop out. There's only a handful of missions throughout the series where you're disguised and in most of those you can still be detected while disguised if you get too close to certain people. It's a part of social stealth. Stealth in AC doesn't always mean not being seen.

Eternal Reward
03-20-2013, 01:03 AM
I want an actual crouch button. Is that so hard Ubioft?!

D.I.D.
03-20-2013, 01:11 AM
I'd like more of it as an optional feature, if making sensible choices had some impact on the speed of detection. Different clothing could be a reward for performance - use of Sync or something. I haven't played Liberation, but I ilked the idea of Aveline using appropriate clothing for the occasion.

I'm sure the first time we saw the dyes option, most of us must have wondered for a second if different regions' dyes would have an impact beyond the visual appearance.

ajl992008
03-20-2013, 01:11 AM
I want an actual crouch button. Is that so hard Ubioft?!
this

also i want them to go back to ac1 social stealth,I don't really enjoy the disguise missions except for the minstrel mission in acr.

AssassinHMS
03-20-2013, 01:13 AM
I still don't get how connor could blend with the crowd when he is the only person with a bow and a quiver in the whole world. What a sneaky assassin he is!

BATISTABUS
03-20-2013, 01:18 AM
this

also i want them to go back to ac1 social stealth,I don't really enjoy the disguise missions except for the minstrel mission in acr.
I saw a video where a dev said the team sees a crouch button as stepping too far away from social stealth. The discussion related to the implementation of stalking zones. I don't remember the video's name, but it was obviously for AC3.

I really don't think social stealth works anymore (except for in the multiplayer). This is why there need to be more advanced stealth systems in the game, and why there shouldn't be any guards on the roofs.

Eternal Reward
03-20-2013, 01:22 AM
I saw a video where a dev said the team sees a crouch button as stepping too far away from social stealth. The discussion related to the implementation of stalking zones. I don't remember the video's name, but it was obviously for AC3.

I really don't think social stealth works anymore (except for in the multiplayer). This is why there need to be more advanced stealth systems in the game, and why there shouldn't be any guards on the roofs.

See I would agreed with the whole no crouch button causes its not social stealth, except blending is sketchy, horribly placed, half the time the guards see you before you can stealth, there is almost no way to actually move around stealth.....

I mean, there is a reason social stealth isn't a popular design choice for games.

LoyalACFan
03-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Disguises are a part of the social stealth people have been longing for...It`s true they want "AC I" social stealth, but disguises ARE a part of social stealth..

Not singling you out here, M, since most of the replies thus far have been along these lines. I should have made this clearer in the OP; I'm not really concerned with the idea of disguises in and of itself, but rather the way they've been implemented. When your character says "I should get a disguise," kills a guard for his uniform, and a cutscene later you can walk freely among your enemies, it is indeed stealthy by definition; however, it doesn't seem like stealth GAMEPLAY when you're just walking around in plain sight. That's why I'm saying it feels like a cop-out in terms of game design. In situations where Altair would have blended with the crowd, located the best method of approach, and struck without being seen, Ezio, Haytham and Connor would just slap on a disguise and run around freely without arousing suspicion. It's still "stealth"... But in terms of game design, it seems like an easy way to say "we're a stealth-based game" when all they're really doing is making the guards blind to you in certain scripted sequences.

Though I haven't played Liberation, it sounds like the Persona system is a step in the right direction. While your appearance does affect the way guards look at you, it's still in the player's control to choose what approach they want. I wouldn't have a problem with that; if there were multiple ways you could complete a mission based on your choice as the player (i.e. sneak in Altair-style, find a disguise to slip past guards, or just "Rambo" your way to the target) I'd be fine with it. But as it is, there are way too many instances where the game forces you into a disguise, and turns off the guards' detection meters. That, to me, isn't a true stealth experience.

BATISTABUS
03-20-2013, 02:14 AM
Ezio, Haytham and Connor would just slap on a disguise and run around freely without arousing suspicion. It's still "stealth"... But in terms of game design, it seems like an easy way to say "we're a stealth-based game" when all they're really doing is making the guards blind to you in certain scripted sequences.
I don't remember the Brotherhood missions very well (aside from "There were some French girls back in Firenze."), but both the Janissary and Redcoat outfits were not perfect disguises. Guards would still suspect and approach you. As for Connor's colonial outfit, that isn't even a stealth mission. You put it on, walk through a door, and escape a burning building.

tinrisky
03-20-2013, 02:18 AM
Do whatever it takes to be one with the crowd

SixKeys
03-20-2013, 02:34 AM
I actually wish we had more disguises. As in, not just restricted to specific missions but tied to the notoriety system so that when you're notorious, you could disguise yourself and that would lower your notoriety. It sucks that we never get to keep the outfits after the infiltration missions. Even if they were just skins with no effect on gameplay, I would wear them while exploring because it would make me feel like a real assassin. In ACB, in the mission where you attend Juan Borgia's party, I like to wear the Florence noble skin and pretend Ezio is disguising himself as a commoner to fit in with the guests.

SolidSage
03-20-2013, 03:04 AM
I think once you use an outfit it should stay in your pack out. And then have the game play be a mix of AC3 and some of the others. So high level AI would identify you as an infiltrator through LOS at any reasonable range, and other AI would have varying levels of detection. Some would be automatically curious (Janissarys, Jaegers, the equivalents in Brotherhood) and then even lower level guards would need you to do something odd to get them curious, like free run or push someone, steal something, enter a redzone etc.
And after a while, if you used a disguise badly enough, it itself would become notorious and all benefit would be lost until some sort of requirements were met.

And think how cool it would be to get a bunch of outfits to play in rather than having to earn them every time in every single game and half the time, most of those outfits being suk. The Redcoat disguise in 3 was pimpin, I would have worn it everywhere, notorious or not.

feclmunday
03-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Social stealth in tyranny is hillarious, when you blend into a group of eighteenth century gentlefolk having a chat on a bench while wearing a wolf skin as a hat... Subtle!

ajl992008
03-20-2013, 11:57 PM

a simple way to improve the social stealth IMO:

1) get rid of the fast walk and replace it with a social stealth function, so like in ac1 where we would look like a monk but make it realistic to the timeline
2) change the blend system to make it more specific, its too easy to just blend in with a group of people, maybe change this to make it harder
3) better enemy ai, if the ai is smarter in finding you then it will make social stealth more satisfying since its pretty easy in every game after ac2, although it was difficult to blend back in in ac3 after your discovered by it's pretty easy to stay hidden when guards are not looking for you, they could bring back the ac1 system that some guards are always on high alert which will change how you play.
4) I disagree there should be guards on roofs but in ac3 it was ridiculous with like 4 guards in one place eliminating the possibility to be stealthy, they just need to reduce the number and regulate it better.
5) open mission design: the issue with the current games is that they are too linear so there is less opportunity to use social stealth, if they go back to an open mission structure, player will use social stealth tools and so this will make it better/more useful.

anyway that's my thoughts on it

BATISTABUS
03-21-2013, 12:11 AM
a simple way to improve the social stealth IMO:

1) get rid of the fast walk and replace it with a social stealth function, so like in ac1 where we would look like a monk but make it realistic to the timeline
2) change the blend system to make it more specific, its too easy to just blend in with a group of people, maybe change this to make it harder
3) better enemy ai, if the ai is smarter in finding you then it will make social stealth more satisfying since its pretty easy in every game after ac2, although it was difficult to blend back in in ac3 after your discovered by it's pretty easy to stay hidden when guards are not looking for you, they could bring back the ac1 system that some guards are always on high alert which will change how you play.
4) I disagree there should be guards on roofs but in ac3 it was ridiculous with like 4 guards in one place eliminating the possibility to be stealthy, they just need to reduce the number and regulate it better.
5) open mission design: the issue with the current games is that they are too linear so there is less opportunity to use social stealth, if they go back to an open mission structure, player will use social stealth tools and so this will make it better/more useful.

1. I wouldn't mind a feature like this. Obviously the monk thing wouldn't work, but maybe grabbing a woman and walking with her like in the BF trailer?

2. Making stealth harder is not a way to improve its viability. Still, a lot of the blending techniques don't really make a lot of sense, which relates to why roof travel is so important.

3. This is a given, but of course there are limitations.

4. Why should there ever be guards on roofs? Part of being an Assassin that does parkour is that you can go places others cant. AC1 did this well, as guards were only on roofs of castles or when they chased you up there. I don't even think they should be able to climb to be honest, but I wouldn't mind if certain archetypes had this ability. In AC3, there was no escape from guards. They were everywhere, on the ground and roofs. Running on roofs undisturbed is extremely important for the AC formula; it makes travel faster and gives you a birds eye view of everyone around you. That should be your safe-haven. That's what separates Assassins from regular warriors. Fortunately, there were no guards on roofs in The Betrayal.

5. Agreed...kind of. I do think missions should be open, but they should have mandatory restrictions or objectives. Things like "do not be detected" or "don't kill anyone" or "kill the captain" are good ways to add some challenge, but still let you do what you want for the most part.

UrDeviant1
03-21-2013, 12:13 AM
They have proven time and time again that they've not got a clue how to implement stealth in these games. So either find a way to make the function of stealth acceptable or continue down the road of all out brawler. When I get seen it should be because of my own doing, not due to some design flaw. They have shown such little creativity when it comes to tools/gameplay features regarding stealth that after 6 years I can safely say they don't know how to work stealth into these games.

Social stealth has become stale and honestly quite useless outside of certain mission requirements. Time to change things up to allow for real strategic and stealthy gameplay.

Farlander1991
03-21-2013, 12:15 AM
4. Why should there ever be guards on roofs? Part of being an Assassin that does parkour is that you can go places others cant. AC1 did this well, as guards were only on roofs of castles or when they chased you up there.

There were plenty of archers on rooftops in AC1. At least in Acre (that's the city I remember the most).

BATISTABUS
03-21-2013, 12:20 AM
There were plenty of archers on rooftops in AC1. At least in Acre (that's the city I remember the most).
Still, there were much fewer of them, and you were able to easily take them out without alerting the rest of the town. The only exceptions were in the specific fortified areas, but it's okay for those to be heavily guarded on the roofs. That's more of an infiltration type scenario, rather than a means from getting from point A to point B.

Mastery over the roofs is what's important, and that's something that was completely missing in AC3.

TheHumanTowel
03-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Yeah there's been guards on the rooftops in every AC game to date. I dislike the idea of the rooftops being a safe haven from guards. The rooftop guards just present a little extra obstacle that needs to be worked around. It can get a bit excessive in some cases though like with the impenetrable sniper points in ACR but I'm not in favour of abolishing rooftop guards altogether. Besides I don't think it would feel like AC to me anymore if there wasn't a guard screaming some variation of "PEASANTS ARE NOT ALLOWED UP HERE" at me.

Locopells
03-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Social stealth in tyranny is hillarious, when you blend into a group of eighteenth century gentlefolk having a chat on a bench while wearing a wolf skin as a hat... Subtle!

"Doesn't it seem a little more likely that the guards are just absolute morons?!"

UrDeviant1
03-21-2013, 12:27 AM
"Doesn't it seem a little more likely that the designers are just absolute morons?!"

I agree.

Locopells
03-21-2013, 12:30 AM
You saw that video, right?!

BATISTABUS
03-21-2013, 12:30 AM
The rooftop guards just present a little extra obstacle that needs to be worked around. It can get a bit excessive in some cases though like with the impenetrable sniper points in ACR but I'm not in favour of abolishing rooftop guards altogether. Besides I don't think it would feel like AC to me anymore if there wasn't a guard screaming some variation of "PEASANTS ARE NOT ALLOWED UP HERE" at me.
You shouldn't have to face an annoying obstacle every time you want to travel on foot to another location. This is what made free-running in cities in AC3 not fun. Again, guards should still be on roofs in fortified areas. It still makes sense for them to try to stop you from climbing, but they shouldn't be able to do much once you get there.

Eternal Reward
03-21-2013, 12:34 AM
"Doesn't it seem a little more likely that the guards are just absolute morons?!"

"I'm telling you man, sorcerer!"

Eternal Reward
03-21-2013, 12:35 AM
I like rooftop guards because it is a risk/reward for taking to the rooftop.

Plus, in AC3 its so easy to avoid them, and to lower notoriety, I didn't find it that annoying.

BATISTABUS
03-21-2013, 12:39 AM
I like rooftop guards because it is a risk/reward for taking to the rooftop.

Plus, in AC3 its so easy to avoid them, and to lower notoriety, I didn't find it that annoying.
Why should there be a risk for taking to the rooftops? That doesn't make any sense. You're an Assassin with insane parkour abilities. Why even learn that if you'd be better off running on the ground? Who is on the roofs to look out for anyway? Are they just there to look for the Assassin? That doesn't even make sense when it comes to AC3, as the redcoats were not even aligned with the Templars. Exploration shouldn't have to have an unnecessary annoying element.

It was easy to avoid them? Even with "incognito" notoriety, I was never able to climb a roof without being instantly detected by a guard every 5 seconds.

Farlander1991
03-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Honestly, I never had a problem with rooftop guards in AC3. I guess, yeah, there was quite a few of them and they have quite a field of vision, but if my point was to free-run from one location to another, like 80% of the time my experience with rooftop guards was just limited to yellow icons, they didn't fill up very often.

Eternal Reward
03-21-2013, 01:08 AM
Why should there be a risk for taking to the rooftops? That doesn't make any sense. You're an Assassin with insane parkour abilities. Why even learn that if you'd be better off running on the ground? Who is on the roofs to look out for anyway? Are they just there to look for the Assassin? That doesn't even make sense when it comes to AC3, as the redcoats were not even aligned with the Templars. Exploration shouldn't have to have an unnecessary annoying element.

It was easy to avoid them? Even with "incognito" notoriety, I was never able to climb a roof without being instantly detected by a guard every 5 seconds.

Well, if your gonna say we shouldn't have them based only on historical inconsistency, then I have some other things to point out to you......

And, I never had an issue with roof guards unless I wanted to. The roofs were so jagged, it was easy to just keep going until your out of their field of view. Or, if it really got close, just jump off. Plus, like I said, lowering notoriety and escapes were so easy in AC3 it barely mattered.

Its not like we need AC games to get any easier....

And why should rooftops be an invincibility button? I mean, its easy enough to get away from guards on roofs as it is, why should they be unable to climb up onto them? The only guards that I ever had an issue with escaping were the Jagers, and those only appeared if I didn't feel like lowering my notoriety.

BATISTABUS
03-21-2013, 01:18 AM
Its not like we need AC games to get any easier....
I totally agree with this statement, except we don't need that challenge to come in stupid/annoying forms like this. Simply getting around in free-roam is not the place to try to make the game more difficult. Challenge without reason or reward is not something AC or any game needs. I think you'd agree that what AC really needs more difficult missions and riskier combat situations. I have no problem with roofs being loaded with guards for infiltration missions.

On a side note, I had always thought that the gladiator in your signature was holding a chainsaw for some reason...I just noticed that it wasn't.

Eternal Reward
03-21-2013, 01:36 AM
I totally agree with this statement, except we don't need that challenge to come in stupid/annoying forms like this. Simply getting around in free-roam is not the place to try to make the game more difficult. Challenge without reason or reward is not something AC or any game needs. I think you'd agree that what AC really needs more difficult missions and riskier combat situations. I have no problem with roofs being loaded with guards for infiltration missions.

But most the fun I personally get from AC games is honestly just messing around in the cities. So....making rooftops a invincibility zone would take so much possibilities out.

The solution I have is make a difficulty setting. Higher difficulty, more guards, more on certain areas.

On a side note, I had always thought that the gladiator in your signature was holding a chainsaw for some reason...I just noticed that it wasn't.

:p

Yeah, someone is making a different sig so it will be bigger, and more defined. Does kinda look like a chainsaw.....

Gladiator with a chain saw......

MAKE IT HAPPEN UBISOFT!

BATISTABUS
03-21-2013, 02:01 AM
:p

Yeah, someone is making a different sig so it will be bigger, and more defined. Does kinda look like a chainsaw.....

Gladiator with a chain saw......

MAKE IT HAPPEN UBISOFT!
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/justinbatista12/gladiatorchainsaw_zpse15d7f9e.png

You're welcome!

Bashilir
03-21-2013, 02:06 AM
So.. what about Hitman: Absolution? You know, killing anyone and taking their disguise but everyone suspecting you're not who you're dressed as. Makes it social stealth but not able to walk up and bro hug another guard. Does anyone actually "loot" bodies anymore? They could make it to where, when you "loot", you're taking their clothes?

D.I.D.
03-21-2013, 02:31 AM

There have been times in history when various cities' police have had sentries all over the roofs: not to keep the roofs clear, so much as to have a good wide view of activity in the street, much like CCTV cameras are placed high on buildings today. It is getting a bit strange having that situation in every single game though!

SixKeys
03-21-2013, 03:18 AM
I don't have a problem with rooftop guards in general, I just hated how omnipresent and trigger-happy they were in AC3. In the first two games, there was a nice progression when it came to rooftop guards. In AC1 you started out in Masyaf and the poor district of Damascus where there were no archers, so you could have fun practicing your freerunning skills in a safe environment. You then gradually moved on to the richer areas where it made sense that noblemen would have more bodyguards. In AC2 you started off in Florence as a carefree young man who had no reason to fear soldiers. Guards only started appearing on rooftops after the Auditore home was raided and Ezio became a wanted man. Florence remained an area with the least archers. You gradually moved on to Forlí and Venice where there were guards all over the place. In AC3 the only "safe" area is the Frontier, which would be fine if the treerunning wasn't as restrictive as it is. (Not every tree is climbable and the amount of paths you can take is limited.)

I do like the suggestion someone made about a "social blending" button similar to AC1's monk-blending. One of the problems with AC3's blending is that it's a good idea but doesn't always work in practice. In the Ezio games the "spider web" effect may look out of place, but at least it works instantly and you clearly know when you are blending. In AC3, sometimes I find two civilians but I can't blend with them because the game for some reason doesn't count them as two people but one, even if they're clearly interacting with each other. I also like the idea of Connor being able to mimic the actions of the people he's blending with, but in practice it often takes several seconds for him to find his place among the NPCs and move into the proper animation. Usually this takes so long that my pursuers have already caught up to me before I've successfully managed to blend. In AC2, all I had to do was spot a group and enter it and the blend effect was instant.

So an interactive blend button could indeed be a good compromise. All you have to do is get close enough to a couple of NPCs, press a button to blend and you could be more certain the game registered your actions than in the current system.

Don't get rid of the Fast Walk feature though. I hate running around in AC unless it's part of the mission or freerunning and normal walking is too slow.

BigTrevor94
03-21-2013, 04:25 AM
Well as Altair put it "I am a blade in the crowd" sometimes the best sneaking around you do, is in plain sight, like in Revelations when he played as a bard, who would suspect a bard? come on now lol

pirate1802
03-21-2013, 06:05 AM
Well as Altair put it "I am a blade in the crowd" sometimes the best sneaking around you do, is in plain sight, like in Revelations when he played as a bard, who would suspect a bard? come on now lol

Admit it. We laughed more in that bard mission than all the rest of AC combined.

Locopells
03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
True!

MasterAssasin84
03-21-2013, 04:35 PM
In AC1, social stealth only really existed because you could pose as a scholar.

Infiltrations are my favorite types of missions in AC. While I prefer the ones where you must go completely unseen, I don't mind mixing it up like this. Social stealth in the way that it was originally conceived is no longer realistically possible, and if the AC franchise wishes to push the stealth element further, the dev teams are going to have to create new tools and systems. Stalking zones were a good start, but adding disguises is also a legitimate option.

Maybe someone who actually played Liberation could talk about how well the "personas" feature and if it worked well?

Agree with this , being stealthy does not nessecarily mean hiding in the shadows, Altair was supposed to represent a monk but i will say this if you look at AC2 and AC3 going by the environments the white hoods stick out a mile off !!