PDA

View Full Version : AC:V = Female Assassin - Yes or No

Pages : [1] 2 3

RinoTheBouncer
03-18-2013, 05:19 PM
As the title says ;)
Do you want a female assassin to lead the next major AC release?

Don't forget to tell us why :D

pirate1802
03-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Yes I want my female assassin. And no, ****ty vita games don't count.

Come on ubi, you've shown that you can make interesting female characters. Why shy away from bringing them under the spotlight?

pacmanate
03-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Nope. I think I can relate to a more brutal male than a female just because of how society is.

Sushiglutton
03-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Yes, I think that could fun. The new Tomb Raiser reboot seems to have been a succes (haven't played it yet myslef) so that may lead the way for more female protagonists in Action/Adventure games (also have Remember Me coming out).

ze_topazio
03-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Wouldn't mind.

ajl992008
03-18-2013, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't mind but tbh I would prefer not to, purely because I am a guy and I find it easier to relate to a male character lead, not sexist or anything lol.

RinoTheBouncer
03-18-2013, 05:53 PM
I want a female protagonist who's good-looking (yes, I am a guy and that doesn't contradict with being strong, deep and a meaningful, relatable person), powerful, funny or dark (like Lightning) I don't mind either but as long as they've got the looks, the power, the backstory, the aim, the determination, the techniques and the ability to impress the gamer, HELL YES!

Yes I want my female assassin. And no, ****ty vita games don't count.

Come on ubi, you've shown that you can make interesting female characters. Why shy away from bringing them under the spotlight?

I agree with every word you said.

Yes, I think that could fun. The new Tomb Raiser reboot seems to have been a succes (haven't played it yet myslef) so that may lead the way for more female protagonists in Action/Adventure games (also have Remember Me coming out).

True!
Tomb Raider have always nailed it and with the recent release, it's shown that badass females can still be special, distinguished, sexy and fun.

pirate1802
03-18-2013, 05:56 PM
True!
Tomb Raider have always nailed it and with the recent release, it's shown that badass females can still be special, distinguished, sexy and fun.

Kickass females are approximately 176652 times more awesome than kickass males. Its not even an opinion. Its a fact! Which is why I always play as a female whenever I'm provided with a choice :D

Loved the new Lara Croft, loved Aveline too, now give her the main game she deserves.

RinoTheBouncer
03-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Kickass females are approximately 176652 times more awesome than kickass males. Its not even an opinion. Its a fact! Which is why I always play as a female whenever I'm provided with a choice :D

Loved the new Lara Croft, loved Aveline too, now give her the main game she deserves.

Perfectly said.
Strong women are amazing. Who doesn't love a beautiful, badass lady fighting her way for a bigger cause or maybe working alone and later joins the Assassins? who wouldn't love those moves, taunts, outfits and techniques they do? Lara Croft's been my queen since 1996 xD

kuled2012
03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Yes absolutely, I recently bought Tomb Raider 2013 as well and haven't felt so emotionally attached to a character since John Marston. I'd love it if they make a female assassin.

Littleweasel
03-18-2013, 06:11 PM
yes, i think it would be great to play as a female assassin and as stated by pirate1802 the vita game doesn't count.

Dejan507
03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
I hope not, I liked the new Tomb Raider but couldn't help and feel weak all the time playing as her (constant moaning and whatnot)
I can relate to a male character much more

Ragsash
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Nope. I think I can relate to a more brutal male than a female just because of how society is.

Dont see how its sociatys fault you dont want to play a woman char.

But I would like too play a female I loved their female chars in previous games and feelt sad they gotten such a small role in most games.

Ragsash
03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
I hope not, I liked the new Tomb Raider but couldn't help and feel weak all the time playing as her (constant moaning and whatnot)
I can relate to a male character much more

Try starcraft 2 heart of the swarm then.
and I havent played the game but I was under the impression that was what they were going for.

was the AC women in previous games weak? "moaning" constantly

pirate1802
03-18-2013, 06:18 PM

Thats probably because she was meant to feel weak. A helpless girl trapped alone in a hostile enviornment isn't supposed to feel like say Ezio killstreaking through hordes of guards.

Part of the joy of the game was watching how she transforms from that helpless girl to that killstreaking Ezio, kind of.

poptartz20
03-18-2013, 06:20 PM
I feel rather indifferent about it.. I like playing as the males.

Yet at the same time if ubisoft was choose a female as a main character then she would need to be handled correctly.

I haven't played liberations but I assume she was an accurate portrayal of how a female assassin should be?

ZeSpecter
Of course Tomb Raider was a success. The protagonist in Tomb Raider has to be female and it has to be Lara Croft, it would fail so hard if there was a male protagonist.
In my opinion it's too much of a risk to make the protagonist on AC female. Some people would be okay with it, while others would hate it. Let's say 50% would be ok with it, while the other 50% would not like it (judging by the poll as it is at the time of this post). The player base could drop by a lot. Not trying to ruin it for everyone who wants a female protagonist, but I'm almost 100% sure that it won't happen.

lothario-da-be
I don't have anything against females, but in an ac game? I prefer not, but i wouldn't mind it if it is the case.

TheHumanTowel
03-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Why would anyone care whether it's a male or female character? I'm really surprised by the amount of people who've voted no. Is it really that hard to identify with a character who isn't the same gender as you?

pirate1802
03-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Is it really that hard to identify with a character who isn't the same gender as you?

I don't get that either.

lothario-da-be
03-18-2013, 06:30 PM
I don't get that either.
Thats not the problem. A female in a world of men doesn't feel right. The amount of female assassin's in ACB and ACR is unrealistic for its time period.

AssassinHMS
03-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Why would anyone care whether it's a male or female character? I'm really surprised by the amount of people who've voted no. Is it really that hard to identify with a character who isn't the same gender as you?

Indeed. Why would anyone care whether it's a male or female character? I'm really surprised this thread even exists. Are you people so sexist that you need to ask all the time for a female protagonist? I think there are many more aspects of the game, much more important than this, that deserve to be discussed.

TheHumanTowel
03-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Thats not the problem. A female in a world of men doesn't feel right. The amount of female assassin's in ACB and ACR is unrealistic for its time period.
The assassins are all about equality. It's not unrealistic for there to be female assassins. Particularly in any period after the Renaissance.

thekarlone
03-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Not in a main game.

ZeSpecter
03-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Not in a main game.

I agree.

Dejan507
03-18-2013, 06:45 PM
I also must admit to avoiding saving women in ACR because I didn't want them in the 'brotherhood' of assassins.. Maybe I'm a bit sexist but I really don't dig female assassins..

TheHumanTowel
03-18-2013, 06:51 PM
This thread god.......
http://i.imgur.com/S3VpN.gif

ACfan443
03-18-2013, 06:52 PM
That's a lot of Nos...

EllisEverTellYa
03-18-2013, 07:28 PM
No No and No, I do NOT want to play as a female assassin, NO! Modern day protagonist okay, ancestor NO!:mad:

D.I.D.
03-18-2013, 07:32 PM

I've got a feeling you don't actually know much about history, and you're just giving us a gut reaction.

We tend to think that history is a slow upward crawl to the (poor) standards of equality in the present day, but that's not how it works.

stingray10
03-18-2013, 07:32 PM
To be honest i don't see a reason why not. There needn't be a love story entwined with it, or if there was to be they could shoot it from the male's perspective looking at the female. I think it would be interesting, but then again Ubisoft thinks that because they gave Aveline a small role that they've ticked the box in that respect. Too much risk for Ubisoft...

LoyalACFan
03-18-2013, 07:40 PM
As long as they don't turn her into a masturbatory fantasy for male players, I'd be down for it. Women don't need double-D cleavage to be interesting (looking at you, video game industry).

silvermercy
03-18-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm female and I don't mind either way. However I haven't voted, because I'm indecisive about it. It's a yes for obvious reasons, more badass females are needed in games. Tomb Raider was awesome and didn't find Lara weak at all. Only at the beginning but that's because she's SUPPOSED to be that way. It's her beginning as Lara Croft. Her transformation.

On the other hand, I'm still not sure for a female assassin in AC, because first, it'd be a big risk for an AC game where most players are used to male protagonists (I am, too, despite being female). Second, she'd have to be absolutely awesome and this could take years and years of character and story development (I can't bear hearing comments again like "she's boring and dull" or "she needs bigger tits" any time soon! Especially for the first main console female assassin).

Gil_217
03-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Only if she is a 6'3 monster with an ugly face.

I'm sick and tired of literally all the female protagonists and even supporting female characters in the video game industry being extremely pretty and hot. It's like ugly women don't exist in video games.

Give me a female beast and I will accept.

THE_JOKE_KING33
03-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Yes, preferably Shao Jun.

*obligatory Shao Jun post*

But I honestly don't care about the person's gender, as long as they're badass, I'm cool with it.

RinoTheBouncer
03-18-2013, 08:02 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Spider_Sith9
03-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Shao Jun please? ;_;

Bastiaen
03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Yes please.

kuled2012
03-18-2013, 08:11 PM

I'm sick and tired of literally all the female protagonists and even supporting female characters in the video game industry being extremely pretty and hot. It's like ugly women don't exist in video games.

Yeah because male characters in gaming are all ugly.

RinoTheBouncer
03-18-2013, 08:11 PM
They want a female assassin? it should be Shao Jun

She had a box from Ezio, perhaps it's some codex or a POE or whatever it is. Also, Achillies mentioned her and her role in teaching them about rope darts so she definitely has a role and I'm sure that a full game on major consoles for her would be more than welcomed. It will present a new light, a new culture, a new set of emotions, weapons, techniques, enemies and goals to achieve.

Gil_217
03-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Yeah because male characters in gaming are all ugly.

Yes, they are. At least some of them are. The problem is that female characters are literally ALL pretty and attractive.

And why are you bringing male characters to this thread?

shobhit7777777
03-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Why not

Brunette please though

RinoTheBouncer
03-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Iltani ftw ;)

pacmanate
03-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Dont see how its sociatys fault you dont want to play a woman char.

But I would like too play a female I loved their female chars in previous games and feelt sad they gotten such a small role in most games.

Its not anyones "fault". I just don't think women being brutal and killing is as easy to see and take "seriously" compared to a male.

SixKeys
03-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Its not anyones "fault". I just don't think women being brutal and killing is as easy to see and take "seriously" compared to a male.

I'm sure a lot of military women would disagree with you.

bveUSbve
03-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Vote: Yes

And that means that I'm not against it in principle. But in the end the gender of a protagonist is of minor importance, what matters most is whether he/she is an interesting and likable character. No dumb badassness for my game, please!

LoyalACFan
03-18-2013, 08:21 PM

She had a box from Ezio, perhaps it's some codex or a POE or whatever it is. Also, Achillies mentioned her and her role in teaching them about rope darts so she definitely has a role and I'm sure that a full game on major consoles for her would be more than welcomed. It will present a new light, a new culture, a new set of emotions, weapons, techniques, enemies and goals to achieve.

Freakin' YES. Make a game following Shao Jun returning to her homeland after encountering Ezio. Matter of fact, make Sequence 1 a rerun of Embers; it could serve as a tutorial and reintroduce the mystery box for those who may have forgotten, or never saw the short film.

Just give her a proper Chinese VA. Her voice in Embers wasn't all that great.

bveUSbve
03-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Well, this could be dealt with by "refined" gameplay that generally allows for a more "subtle" approach than what was predominant in ACIII.

Gil_217
03-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Very unlikely to see a Shao Jun game in the near future. It can happen, but later rather than sooner, or just not at all.

Not looking good.

LoyalACFan
03-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Very unlikely to see a Shao Jun game in the near future. It can happen, but later rather than sooner, or just not at all.

Not looking good.

I strongly suspect this Rising Phoenix business is connected to her. Would prefer a console over a Vita game, but I'll take what I can get. I highly doubt they would give her such a cliffhanger ending and NEVER return to her.

RinoTheBouncer
03-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Freakin' YES. Make a game following Shao Jun returning to her homeland after encountering Ezio. Matter of fact, make Sequence 1 a rerun of Embers; it could serve as a tutorial and reintroduce the mystery box for those who may have forgotten, or never saw the short film.

EXACTLY!

Imagine how epic it would be. She looks good, so people who want a good looking character will get what they want and she's also strong-willed, powerful, smart and skilled and imagine her growing and developing like Ezio in ACII and how he changed from a teen to an assassin seeking revenge then in Rome to seek a bigger cause and with Revelations and how he became a mature and wise man..etc. It would be perfect to see her until she's an old lady.

I guess she will be the mirror of Ezio but as a female. To create an Ezio II is a big failure but to create a female version who has a huge impact, charisma, strength, will and maybe humor too, will be highly welcomed and respected. It's not like she's barbie in the world of the Assassins.

Eternal Reward
03-18-2013, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't mind if they had one, but I would prefer not, simply becasue I relate easier to male protagonists.

sajber00
03-18-2013, 08:59 PM
No.
Why? They shouldn't add a female protagonist because there are to few girls in games. There should be a proper reason. And the reasons you have written isn't so good.

THE_JOKE_KING33
03-18-2013, 09:05 PM

^All of this.

silvermercy
03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
No.
Why? They shouldn't add a female protagonist because there are to few girls in games. There should be a proper reason. And the reasons you have written isn't so good.
Actually, almost half of the gamers for these games (47% in 2012) are female. And females need more female characters. It shouldn't matter anyway. Males have no problem playing Lara Croft.

LoyalACFan
03-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Actually, almost half of the gamers for these games (47% in 2012) are female. And females need more female characters. It shouldn't matter anyway. Males have no problem playing Lara Croft.

Wow, I'm actually stunned by that statistic. Every AC player I know (personally) is male.

Dammit, why can't I meet women who don't hate gaming in real life... -__-

Eternal Reward

Well, we have no problem looking at her anyways...... :rolleyes:

Dejan507
In fact, silvermercy, I myself know at least two guys who won't play it because the main character is a girl, no matter how much I tried to convince them the game is great..

shobhit7777777

I'm hoping that the percentage goes higher

In my 22 years of existence...I have realized that there is only ONE universal truth:

A sex ratio skewed towards females (by that I mean higher number of females) can only lead to good.

Seriously...fellow dudes...lets make it happen

nitres15
03-18-2013, 09:12 PM
i donīt really care, it would be a nice change of pace though

silvermercy
03-18-2013, 09:13 PM
In fact, silvermercy, I myself know at least two guys who won't play it because the main character is a girl, no matter how much I tried to convince them the game is great..

Sucks for them.

pacmanate
03-18-2013, 09:18 PM

Probably, a lot of people will disagree with me I'm not trying to prove a point haha

nitres15
03-18-2013, 09:18 PM

holy **** nugget, i thought about this the other day. And what a great ideá this would be. Especially since the plot isnīt chanied to Desmond anymore

sajber00
03-18-2013, 09:24 PM
My keyboard went crazy, so I answer tomorrow.

Cheers.

Assassin_M
03-18-2013, 09:37 PM
I`v no problem as long as they avoid sex and stereotypes. I just played Tomb`s raider at a friend`s and let me tell you I enjoyed it immensely. In past games, Lara was this star high up in the sky that no one can ever reach, not even the player. She felt like a famous model who you`ll never get to date or that pretty girl in class who`s just so damm confident, you can`t bring yourself to tell her good morning.

In this game, Lara is a A LOT more approachable. she feels more human and more down to earth. She`s scared sometimes, she`s not quite sure of herself, she doubts...etc she became mortal and I loved it. there was no excessive use of sex (Note I do not mean sex as in sexual intercourse) and they definitely avoided stereotypes.

Another good example is Aveline from ACL. She`s pretty and deadly, I haven't played the game, but from what i`v heard, she`s just as badass as a guy and I`m pretty sure the devs did a great job making Aveline be her own woman and not burrow any influences from Hollywood and that in itself makes me confident that they`ll do the same to a main console Assassin female..

So Yeah, Yes here..

I-Like-Pie45
03-18-2013, 09:42 PM

We already have Samus Aran for that, but not too sure about the ugly face part.

Either way, that would make a pretty cool AC game.

ACfan443
03-18-2013, 09:44 PM
She`s scared sometimes

Her constant screaming has got to be one of the most annoying things about the game.

Assassin_M
03-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Her constant screaming has got to be one of the most annoying things about the game.
Well....I haven't played the entire game obviously :p

but come on.....Screaming girls can have its charm <_<

nitres15
03-18-2013, 09:48 PM

what kinda creepy **** are you into :p

Assassin_M
03-18-2013, 09:49 PM
what kinda creepy **** are you into :p
Nothing.. Nothing just forget I said that :|

ACfan443
03-18-2013, 09:51 PM

Kinky one aren't you...

Lara's screaming was anything but a turn on

nitres15
03-18-2013, 09:52 PM
every one who said no, please elaborate.

ACfan443
03-18-2013, 09:55 PM
every one who said no, please elaborate.

They're narrow minded people who can't handle a female protagonist. Seriously, I don't see how a particular gender will detract from your gameplay experience

monoman32
03-18-2013, 09:59 PM
No, I wouldn't mind, but I don't think it would work.

nitres15
03-18-2013, 10:04 PM
No, I wouldn't mind, but I don't think it would work.

explain...

HeedfulMass4856
03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
I think anyone who has been reading my rants on Eve's possible descendant will know why I want a female assassin. I wouldn't care if it was a male who was Eve's descendant... but it'd be kind of weird.

Assassin_M
03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
They're narrow minded people who can't handle a female protagonist. Seriously, I don't see how a particular gender will detract from your gameplay experience
You`re brutally honest xD

Quite frankly there`s no other explanation..

ACfan443
03-18-2013, 10:19 PM
You`re brutally honest xD

I don't know anyone more brutally honest on here than yourself :p

Assassin_M
03-18-2013, 10:20 PM
I don't know anyone more brutally honest on here than yourself :p
That`s why I was surprised:rolleyes:

some people take it as me insulting them, though..

stingray10
03-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Assassin's Creed V
50 Shades of...;)

I think that is the direction the game should go in (Jokes, before somone is like OMG, U PERVET, PIG, OMG)

Kaschra
03-18-2013, 11:18 PM
The amount of "No" votes makes me angry.

I'd love to see a female playable asassin (for a main game).
There are not enough female characters in videogames, and I'm sure Ubisoft could pull it off to create an interesting character.
People say that a female character would be risky, but sometimes it's worth the risk. How could anything change if they don't try anything new?

I also really don't understand the "I can't relate to female characters" argument. I mean... WTF? They don't even try to explain WHY they can't relate.
It just doesn't make sense. I, as a female, can relate to both genders. It's not about the gender, it's about the personality of a charcater.
Gender shouldn't matter, but to some people, sadly it does...

But it's nice to see that so many people want a game with Shao Jun, too xD

Melodia1756
03-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Only if she has a hot male enemy or partner!!

nitres15
03-18-2013, 11:33 PM

There are not enough female characters in videogames, and I'm sure Ubisoft could pull it off to create an interesting character.
People say that a female character would be risky, but sometimes it's worth the risk. How could anything change if they don't try anything new?

I also really don't understand the "I can't relate to female characters" argument. I mean... WTF? They don't even try to explain WHY they can't relate.
It just doesn't make sense. I, as a female, can relate to both genders. It's not about the gender, it's about the personality of a charcater.

i think we can all(55% to be precise) agree on that we can relate to other humans.

monoman32
03-18-2013, 11:36 PM
explain...

She would be a scapegoat.

nitres15
03-18-2013, 11:41 PM
She would be a scapegoat.

i donīt get it, who exactly ?

Rakudaton
03-18-2013, 11:45 PM
To the people claiming that those who voted "no" are narrow-minded: why can't you accept that other people may have other opinions than you, and may have valid reasons for them? You're sounding like the narrow-minded ones, not them. Off the top of my head, I can think of several possible reasons people may be against a female character:

-- Plot limitations: women have faced restrictions in many time periods and cultures that did not impede men. Ezio would not have been free to move through society as he did had he been a woman. Sadly, being female would limit what our assassin could reasonably do.
-- There's also the risk of Ubisoft creating a female character just to appeal to a certain demographic. From the number of people calling for a "beautiful" female assassin, and all the over-enthusiastic support, it seems some people are less in favour of a female assassin and more in favour of an assassin who has breasts. I do hope this is not the case.

I'm not saying these are necessarily their reasons, but they are possible reasons. I don't really care about the next protagonist's gender, so I didn't vote, but there should be a "doesn't matter" option in the poll. And please stop assuming those who voted differently to you are bigoted, narrow minded, stupid etc.

silvermercy
03-18-2013, 11:51 PM
To the people claiming that those who voted "no" are narrow-minded: why can't you accept that other people may have other opinions than you, and may have valid reasons for them? You're sounding like the narrow-minded ones, not them. Off the top of my head, I can think of several possible reasons people may be against a female character:

-- Plot limitations: women have faced restrictions in many time periods and cultures that did not impede men. Ezio would not have been free to move through society as he did had he been a woman. Sadly, being female would limit what our assassin could reasonably do.
-- There's also the risk of Ubisoft creating a female character just to appeal to a certain demographic. From the number of people calling for a "beautiful" female assassin, and all the over-enthusiastic support, it seems some people are less in favour of a female assassin and more in favour of an assassin who has breasts. I do hope this is not the case.

I'm not saying these are necessarily their reasons, but they are possible reasons. I don't really care about the next protagonist's gender, so I didn't vote, but there should be a "doesn't matter" option in the poll. And please stop assuming those who voted differently to you are bigoted, narrow minded, stupid etc.
I actually agree with that and I'm female. (I didn't vote either for the reasons you mentioned).

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 12:00 AM

I think the narrow-minded comment is directed at the people saying they wouldn't want one because they can't "relate" to a female character.

kuled2012
03-19-2013, 12:11 AM

Constant screaming? What? How much of the game have you played exactly? Sure she's scared in the beginning but when you're at the main part of the game with the weapons there's a moment when she yells out 'I'm coming for you all!' the enemies were screaming about her! And if anything I hardly call that annoying, I felt more sympathetic to Lara because she was vulnerable here.

Sushiglutton
03-19-2013, 12:21 AM

There may be reasons, but it's hard to find any good ones imo. Plot limitations I don't buy. AC is not realistic in that sense (nor does it have to be imo). I mean how many native americans were present when the declaration of independence was signed? How many had direct access to Washington and could just show up for a chat whenever they wanted? How often was a messenger elected to control firing squads in the middle of battle? There are so many things in AC the protagonist does that aren't reasonable at all (again I'm fine with this). Anyone who thinks running across the battlefield at Bunker Hill to assassinate Pitcairn is reasonable for a man, but unreasonable for a woman is kind of silly imo.

The second point is more about what kind of female character and peoples lack of faith in Ubi to create the right one. I don't get that either. Would the guys who wrote Connor create some busty idiot :|? I think not.

kuled2012
03-19-2013, 12:26 AM
The second point is more about what kind of female character and peoples lack of faith in Ubi to create the right one. I don't get that either. Would the guys who wrote Connor create some busty idiot :|? I think not.This, lol. Do you think Ubi are going to go Lollipop Chainsaw style with the protagonist or something?

ACfan443
03-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Constant screaming? What? How much of the game have you played exactly? Sure she's scared in the beginning but when you're at the main part of the game with the weapons there's a moment when she yells out 'I'm coming for you all!' the enemies were screaming about her! And if anything I hardly call that annoying, I felt more sympathetic to Lara because she was vulnerable here.

It's mainly cutscenes, when she's getting knocked around and stuff (I haven't completely finished the game yet). Yes in that situation it's realistic to scream, but the way she screams is just annoying.

Also, to clarify, the 'narrow minded' comment was directed at people who felt they couldn't relate to a female protagonist, or those who felt that a female taking an action role was out of place. I completely understand that historical conservation would prevent a female protagonist from being featured in a game, that's a justified reason. However I'm sure that that's not what most of the people who voted 'No' were thinking.

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 12:31 AM
There may be reasons, but it's hard to find any good ones imo. Plot limitations I don't buy. AC is not realistic in that sense (nor does it have to be imo). I mean how many native americans were present when the declaration of independence was signed? How many had direct access to Washington and could just show up for a chat whenever they wanted? How often was a messenger elected to control firing squads in the middle of battle? There are so many things in AC the protagonist does that aren't reasonable at all (again I'm fine with this). Anyone who thinks running across the battlefield at Bunker Hill to assassinate Pitcairn is reasonable for a man, but unreasonable for a woman is kind of silly imo.

The second point is more about what kind of female character and peoples lack of faith in Ubi to create the right one. I don't get that either. Would the guys who wrote Connor create some busty idiot :|? I think not.
For the first point, sure, there were no native american men during the signing but it would be even more unrealistic for a woman native to be there. These things are relative.

For the 2nd point, maybe not the Connor writers but for the other writers. Call me cynical but most of the women I personally remember from Ezio's trilogy to the latest BF trailer had everything hang out. So, no, I still don't trust them for a main console female character. I have the feeling that, unlike PS Vita Aveline, they would try to sex her up so as to avoid her being called boring.

D.I.D.
03-19-2013, 12:34 AM
I completely understand that historical conservation would prevent a female protagonist from being featured in a game, that's a justified reason.

It isn't, it's cobblers. I've been over this before (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/664360-No-female-lead-in-Assassin-s-Creed-III-because-American-Revolution-was-quot-a-man-s-world?p=8207566&viewfull=1#post8207566), and could go a lot further.

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 12:35 AM
For the 2nd point, maybe not the Connor writers but for the other writers. Call me cynical but most of the women I personally remember from Ezio's trilogy to the latest BF trailer had everything hang out. So, no, I still don't trust them for a main console female character.
If you're talking about all the cleavage on display that was literally the fashion of the renaissance. Can't blame them for being historically accurate with the clothes. And have you forgotten Claudia in ACB so easily? The AC writers are perfectly capable of writing a believable female character.

D.I.D.
03-19-2013, 12:37 AM

Many will try and claim they would stop playing AC if it had a female protagonist. Most are lying, and the few who aren't would be more than balanced out by the new players curious about the protag.

It's easy to say "I'd never play it", but months of marketing will change that. Look at all the series fans who insisted they'd boycott AC4BF, who've now quietly shuffled back into line.

LoyalACFan
03-19-2013, 12:41 AM
If you're talking about all the cleavage on display that was literally the fashion of the renaissance. Can't blame them for being historically accurate with the clothes. And have you forgotten Claudia in ACB so easily? The AC writers are perfectly capable of writing a believable female character.

You're using Claudia as an example of how deep a female character can be? Lolwut? She had like four lines of dialogue in the whole game. Don't get me wrong, I liked her role, but her character growth was basically just an homage to AC2 and how much of a brat she was. We don't actually see her change; Ezio's been gone a while, and she became a badass during his absence.

itsamea-mario
03-19-2013, 12:42 AM
But guissseeeee!!!!
http://imgur.com/gallery/u5AK7

Sushiglutton
03-19-2013, 12:42 AM
For the first point, sure, there were no native american men during the signing but it would be even more unrealistic for a woman native to be there. These things are relative.

For the 2nd point, maybe not the Connor writers but for the other writers. Call me cynical but most of the women I personally remember from Ezio's trilogy to the latest BF trailer had everything hang out. So, no, I still don't trust them for a main console female character. I have the feeling that, unlike PS Vita Aveline, they would try to sex her up so as to avoid her being called boring.

My point is that the events are so unrealistic that changing the gender of the protagonist would add a reltaively small amount of unrealism. I don't think anyone who played Liberation said, when Aveline performed the leap of faith, "Wow that's so unrealistic for a woman to do something like that".

Second point. So you don't want a female protagonist because you fear Ubi may "sex her up". What about Ezio's mother, his sister, Sophia? Anyway I think that is a secondary problem. Voting against a female protagonist because you think Ubi may screw it up is weird to me.

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 12:43 AM
I don't ever remember Claudia. lol See? Even for me she was not memorable. But then I didn't pay much attention to ACB in general.

I'm sure they are perfectly capable of writing a believable female character. I'm not sure even they will actually do it, though. Or, even worse, they will choose a historically accurate period (just like Renaissance and Ezio) that will create a very believable sexed-up version of the character. Call me cynical again, but my faith is at an all-time low in the console video-game industry, even in AC. :|

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 12:46 AM
My point is that the events are so unrealistic that changing the gender of the protagonist would add a reltaively small amount of unrealism. I don't think anyone who played Liberation said, when Aveline performed the leap of faith, "Wow that's so unrealistic for a woman to do something like that".

Second point. So you don't want a female protagonist because you fear Ubi may "sex her up". What about Ezio's mother, his sister, Sophia? Anyway I think that is a secondary problem. Voting against a female protagonist because you think Ubi may screw it up is weird to me.
For me personally, it creates a very huge game limitation in my mind. I can't help it.

I said I didn't vote either yes or no. Because my mind is between yes and no. I want a female character but at the same time I don't want one in AC. That's personal preference.

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 12:47 AM
You're using Claudia as an example of how deep a female character can be? Lolwut? She had like four lines of dialogue in the whole game. Don't get me wrong, I liked her role, but her character growth was basically just an homage to AC2 and how much of a brat she was. We don't actually see her change; Ezio's been gone a while, and she became a badass during his absence.
I was using her as an example of a female character who wasn't sexualised and had a credible personality. Where did you get the impression I was saying how deep a character she was?

LoyalACFan
03-19-2013, 12:53 AM
I was using her as an example of a female character who wasn't sexualised and had a credible personality. Where did you get the impression I was saying how deep a character she was?

"And have you forgotten Claudia in ACB so easily? The AC writers are perfectly capable of writing a believable female character."

It just sounded to me like you were using her as an example of how dazzlingly well Ubisoft can write female characters, when in actuality she had barely more than a fan-service cameo. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 12:54 AM
"And have you forgotten Claudia in ACB so easily? The AC writers are perfectly capable of writing a believable female character."

It just sounded to me like you were using her as an example of how dazzlingly well Ubisoft can write female characters, when in actuality she had barely more than a fan-service cameo. Sorry if I misinterpreted.
I'll never forgive you

ACfan443
03-19-2013, 12:55 AM
I don't ever remember Claudia. lol See? Even for me she was not memorable. But then I didn't pay much attention to ACB in general.

I'm sure they are perfectly capable of writing a believable female character. I'm not sure even they will actually do it, though. Or, even worse, they will choose a historically accurate period (just like Renaissance and Ezio) that will create a very believable sexed-up version of the character. Call me cynical again, but my faith is at an all-time low in the console video-game industry, even in AC. :|

You say that you think they're perfectly capable of writing a believable female character, but then later go on to say you don't have faith in them?
Are we forgetting Aveline? She was created by Ubi and in what way is she sexualised? I don't see her in that way, I see her as a badass assassin just like the others. Ubi are not stupid, I'm sure they know that creating a flirtatious, provocative female protagonist parading around in stilettos with her tits out would distance a large portion of their fanbase.

LoyalACFan
03-19-2013, 12:56 AM
I'll never forgive you

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHGVnpvSkURjnV3ebsBTEiEhdkr7ovB-f8weTEaxMKn4QYxKy0

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 12:58 AM
You say that you think they're perfectly capable of writing a believable female character, but then later go on to say you don't have faith in them?
Are we forgetting Aveline? She was created by Ubi and in what way is she sexualised? I don't see her in that way, I see her as a badass assassin just like the others. Ubi are not stupid, I'm sure they know that creating a flirtatious, provocative female protagonist parading around in stilettos with her tits out would distance a large portion of their fanbase.
I meant that, unlike PS VITA Aveline, a MAIN CONSOLE heroine may have to be sexed-up (even in a historically accurate fashion) for fear she will be called boring. Look at what happened to Connor and how everyone complains about his lack of sex life. I have the fear that a main console heroine will have to be very different from Aveline. As I said, call me cynical. :|

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 01:08 AM
I meant, that unlike PS VITA Aveline, a MAIN CONSOLE heroine may have to be sexed-up for fear she will be called boring. Look at what happened to Connor and how everyone complains about his lack of sex life. I have the fear that a main console heroine will have to be very different from Aveline. Again, call me cynical. :|
Why is the fact that it was a Vita game significant? Don't you think Ubi wants people to buy Liberation? Why not just sexualise Aveline in the Vita game and have more people buy it? I don't see why Aveline should be dismissed as an example of how Ubi have approached female characters in AC. There's a difference between being cynical and being silly. You're being silly. You silly billy.

LoyalACFan
03-19-2013, 01:10 AM
You silly billy.

Silly Lily...

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:13 AM
Why is the fact that it was a Vita game significant? Don't you think Ubi wants people to buy Liberation? Why not just sexualise Aveline in the Vita game and have more people buy it? I don't see why Aveline should be dismissed as an example of how Ubi have approached female characters in AC. There's a difference between being cynical and being silly. You're being silly. You silly billy.
Because I hate Vita. :p So until I actually see it my middle name is Cynical.

Anyway, that's not the only reason I'm not so sure about a female assassin. I've been accustomed to male ones and I don't want to see that changing. It would feel weird for me. Just personal preference (like people who like red vs blue and vice versa). :)

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Ubisoft did justice to Middle Easterners, Natives and Africans...You think they wouldn't do the same with females ?

SixKeys
03-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Ubisoft did justice to Middle Easterners, Natives and Africans...You think they wouldn't do the same with females ?

You say Ubisoft did justice to all those groups, why are you acting like they consist solely of men? Women aren't a separate race, you know.

ACfan443
03-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Because I hate Vita. :p So until I actually see it my middle name is Cynical.

Anyway, that's not the only reason I'm not so sure about a female assassin. I've been accustomed to male ones and I don't want to see that changing. It would feel weird for me. Just personal preference (like people who like red vs blue and vice versa). :)

So now your reasoning for not wanting a female protagonist is because you don't like change? I call that being narrow minded.

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:26 AM
So now your reasoning for not wanting a female protagonist is because you don't like change? I call that being narrow minded.
You can call me whatever you want. I like men as my assassins. So sue me for having a preference. I didn't know that having a preference was now called narrow-mindedness. Sheesh!!

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 01:26 AM
Women aren't a separate race, you know.
Thank you for this valuable valuable piece of information. really, you have changed my life beyond reasonable limits, you literally sent me on a journey of knowledge and wisdom that i`d have never thought i`d comprehend...thank you, sir...thank you...I`m in your debt for ever and I`ll start repaying it now..

Dogs are mammals..

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 01:29 AM
You can call me whatever you want. I like men as my assassins. So sue me for having a preference. Sheesh!!
I only like white male womanisers as my assassins. So sue me for having a preference​. Sheesh!!!

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:31 AM
I only like white male womanisers as my assassins. So sue me for having a preference​. Sheesh!!!
But now you are going to sexist territory because promoting womanising is in reality sexist! Sheeesh!! :rolleyes: My preferences, on the other hand, are not sexist. (If I like red instead of purple is not promoting "redism" against the color purple.)

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 01:32 AM
My preferences, on the other hand, are not sexist.
Just because you`re a female ?

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:33 AM
Just because you`re a female ?
I wish I knew what you were talking about...

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 01:35 AM
But now you are going to sexist territory because promoting womanising is in reality sexist! Sheeesh!! :rolleyes: My preferences, on the other hand, are not sexist.
Omg promoting male characters over female characters is so totally sexist!!! Okay dudebro think what you want. I represent a huge minority of players who will boycott this game for not having a female character!

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 01:36 AM
I wish I knew what you were talking about...
Indeed

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:36 AM
Omg promoting male characters over female characters is so totally sexist!!! Okay dudebro think what you want. I represent a huge minority of players who will boycott this game for not having a female character!
I never said that actually. O_o

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 01:42 AM
I never said that actually.
I know. I'm just making the point that it's ridiculous to say a character being a womaniser is sexist while also saying you wouldn't like a female protagonist and saying that isn't sexist. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

(Note:I don't think what you said is sexist myself)

D.I.D.
03-19-2013, 01:43 AM
I meant that, unlike PS VITA Aveline, a MAIN CONSOLE heroine may have to be sexed-up (even in a historically accurate fashion) for fear she will be called boring. Look at what happened to Connor and how everyone complains about his lack of sex life. I have the fear that a main console heroine will have to be very different from Aveline. As I said, call me cynical. :|

Do they? I thought Connor's problem with the audience came down to basic human interaction, lost somewhere between script, direction and performance. I don't think it would have altered his reception at all if he'd had a love interest.

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:45 AM
I know. I'm just making the point that it's ridiculous to say a character being a womaniser is sexist while also saying you wouldn't like a female protagonist and saying that isn't sexist. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

(Note:I don't think what you said is sexist myself)
That's good. I thought you said that because I prefer male assassins over female ones I'm being sexist. O_o lol
(It's just a preference I have for AC games ONLY. I'm all for female characters in other games).

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 01:46 AM
basic human interaction, lost somewhere between script, direction and performance.

anything BUT...I don't necessarily agree that it was just sex life, but it was not those either...to you maybe, but not to most of the complainers about Connor

D.I.D.
03-19-2013, 02:10 AM
anything BUT...I don't necessarily agree that it was just sex life, but it was not those either...to you maybe, but not to most of the complainers about Connor

I don't know. It's really hard to pull things apart without knowing where your perception is clouding things, but although I have seen the occasional complaint about Connor's lack of a love life it seemed to me that this was a yearning among fans of Connor, that they wanted to see him happy. I've seen my opinion echoed a lot, but obviously none of those people were Connor fans. If people said "I didn't like Connor, but if they'd given him a wife, I would" then I must have missed it.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 02:12 AM
I don't know. It's really hard to pull things apart without knowing where your perception is clouding things, but although I have seen the occasional complaint about Connor's lack of a love life it seemed to me that this was a yearning among fans of Connor, that they wanted to see him happy. I've seen my opinion echoed a lot, but obviously none of those people were Connor fans. If people said "I didn't like Connor, but if they'd given him a wife, I would" then I must have missed it.
Did you read the bit where I said that I don't necessarily agree that the complaints were because he had no love life ? and "MOST" complaints about Connor that i`v seen not sharing your views ?

Because you seemed to repeat what I just said

Bullet747
03-19-2013, 02:16 AM
Yeah. I think it'd be a nice change.

D.I.D.
03-19-2013, 02:20 AM
Anyway, relevant to the topic:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/remember-mes-surprising-connection-to-facebook-and-why-its-protagonist-had

Nilin, as you may have noticed, is a woman. Female-led games are something of a rarity, and those that are made often lack the funding or marketing push (http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/games-with-female-heroes-dont-sell-because-publishers-dont-support-them) of games featuring male protagonists. I asked Morris why Remember Me's hero was a woman. “It was not a decision,” he said. “It was something that just felt right from the beginning. It's one of those things that we never looked at from a pure, cold marketing perspective because that would have endangered the consistency of the whole game.”
That doesn't mean Nilin's sex wasn't on other people's minds, though. By the time Remember Me was shown to prospective publishers, it was too late to change Nilin from a woman to a man, and this was enough to cause potential backers to abstain from publishing the game. “We had some that said, 'Well, we don't want to publish it because that's not going to succeed. You can't have a female character in games. It has to be a male character, simple as that,'” Morris told the Report.
Even if Morris had changed Nilin to be male, that solution produced its own drama. “We wanted to be able to tease on Nilin's private life, and that means for instance, at one point, we wanted a scene where she was kissing a guy,” Morris said. “We had people tell us, 'You can't make a dude like the player kiss another dude in the game, that's going to feel awkward.'”

So here's the rub: films and TV are doing simple things that games can't, and players can't only blame the publishers. The customer base is the biggest problem. If you want change, you have to speak up about it whenever you can, and ignore anyone who calls you a broken record. Notice that the people who are against this, who claim to feel weird about playing as a female character, never effing shut up about it. That's why the publishers have their data, and those people have the gall to tell others that they're sick of hearing people complain about equality in games.

It doesn't stop with gender. Games need to open up in all kinds of ways. It's not just that we're being served white guys over and over, but also the same kinds of white guys. It's boring, and it's bad for the medium. One day people are going look back and laugh that there was anybody standing in the way of this at all.

D.I.D.
03-19-2013, 02:29 AM
Did you read the bit where I said that I don't necessarily agree that the complaints were because he had no love life ? and "MOST" complaints about Connor that i`v seen not sharing your views ?

Because you seemed to repeat what I just said

Sorry, it was hard to understand what you meant. You seemed to be saying that you weren't 100% on this sex life issue, but you thought the other things were even more unlikely?

I've seen tons of people saying that his reactions were bizarre (rage at the wrong moments, calm at the wrong moments, teenage tantrums), that the script was scrappy (repetition of bad cliches such as "I will survive this day. I cannot say the same for you", generally poor dialogue).

I'm adding 'direction' as another possibility. A lot of people blame Connor's voice actor, but I don't think that's fair. A casting director had to select him, and then a director had to give the okay to all of the scenes.

Gi1t
03-19-2013, 02:29 AM

Neither did I. XD

I guess when it comes to that point it's more of a question of which question you're really answering? Are you interpreting the question as whether or not it's possible to have one and whether or not it's worth the effort to make one? Or are you interpreting the question as 'should they do it?'

It's certainly true that they've done it successfully before (outside the AC series too) but it's also very reasonable to question the intelligence of Ubisoft's current marketing choices, particularly at the executive level.

I suspect a lot of the people who would say yes are being optimistic about it, which makes sense to me. Because any idea could be a failure if not done well, I would assume that any proposed idea would be made on the assumption that it would be done well. Obviously, if you don't think they're going to do it well, there's no point..,but then why do anything? XD

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 02:34 AM
Sorry, it was hard to understand what you meant. You seemed to be saying that you weren't 100% on this sex life issue, but you thought the other things were even more unlikely?

I've seen tons of people saying that his reactions were bizarre (rage at the wrong moments, calm at the wrong moments, teenage tantrums), that the script was scrappy (repetition of bad cliches such as "I will survive this day. I cannot say the same for you", generally poor dialogue).

I'm adding 'direction' as another possibility. A lot of people blame Connor's voice actor, but I don't think that's fair. A casting director had to select him, and then a director had to give the okay to all of the scenes.
I`m 100% against the sex life complaint...I never saw it, and from what I`v seen, only 2 out of 10 Connor complainers argued that his reactions were at wrong moments or that the script was crappy...you`re actually the first one i`v seen with this crappy script complaint..

Most i`v seen seem to have a problem with him not being a wiseass, charming joker like Ezio...

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 03:55 AM
No.

Too few girls playing games or inside those games? Either way you're wrong. There are a lot of girls playing games and you can recruit legions of female assassin recruits if you want. there are enough female assassins, just not in the lead role. And lets not go towards the realism argument either because I doubt there was any Native hanging around while the Declaration of Independence was being signed. If a Native American can roam freely in Colonial cities without people raising an eyebrow, I don't see how a female doing the same would be much different. A cleverly dressed female can be hard to distinguish from a male. Aveline, MT, all female recruits hardly look like males from distance. Even the females of my fanfic look almost totally like males :nonchalance:

Also, Maria Thorpe. She was a woman in a heavily male-dominated society. Yet that didn't stop her getting her way. Who wouldn't want to see her story?

You can call me whatever you want. I like men as my assassins. So sue me for having a preference. I didn't know that having a preference was now called narrow-mindedness. Sheesh!!

If females themselves don't want female characters then you can kiss gender equality in videogames goodbye. And you wonder why they pander the male fantasies in videogames. This is why.

TheRealGunnut19
03-19-2013, 04:13 AM

Military women can't compare with military men, the standards for qualification are lowered for the women, shorter grenade ranges, knee push-ups, etc. The men qualify more than the women.

D.I.D.
03-19-2013, 04:19 AM
Military women can't compare with military men, the standards for qualification are lowered for the women, shorter grenade ranges, knee push-ups, etc. The men qualify more than the women.

Games are rarely about the average soldier, and AC certainly isn't. AC tells you that these heroes are swarming with genes from a superior species, the most badass of badasses.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 04:22 AM
I think we can safely assume that we may never get a female lead in a main game after some of the replies I`v seen here...

Pathetic

TheRealGunnut19
03-19-2013, 04:26 AM
Games are rarely about the average soldier, and AC certainly isn't. AC tells you that these heroes are swarming with genes from a superior species, the most badass of badasses.

Yeah, I'm all for a female character in any game, but I just wanted to point out that the military an't compare with AC.

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 04:42 AM
Sure, I don't mind. Wouldn't be the first time I'v played a female. :nonchalance:

I-Like-Pie45
03-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Arh yu luk keedeeng gaiz

feemeeale character can't be assasin cuz eet well ruen the AC seriz cauz womenz cant fit assasin hero

ubisuft alreadi ruen AC seriz by making indian and pyrite assassin, buth wich can't be asssin cuz onlee white funnee italian and middel eastner can be asssin

LoyalACFan
03-19-2013, 05:00 AM
Anyway, relevant to the topic:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/remember-mes-surprising-connection-to-facebook-and-why-its-protagonist-had

So here's the rub: films and TV are doing simple things that games can't, and players can't only blame the publishers. The customer base is the biggest problem. If you want change, you have to speak up about it whenever you can, and ignore anyone who calls you a broken record. Notice that the people who are against this, who claim to feel weird about playing as a female character, never effing shut up about it. That's why the publishers have their data, and those people have the gall to tell others that they're sick of hearing people complain about equality in games.

It doesn't stop with gender. Games need to open up in all kinds of ways. It's not just that we're being served white guys over and over, but also the same kinds of white guys. It's boring, and it's bad for the medium. One day people are going look back and laugh that there was anybody standing in the way of this at all.

Remember Me isn't necessarily the best example... Their marketing is obviously falling prey to the whole sexed-up female thing; just look at the cover.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/32/Remember_Me_%28Capcom_game_-_cover_art%29.jpg/250px-Remember_Me_%28Capcom_game_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Was it really necessary to show the character from the back... in skinny jeans... with a figure like that? Dat *** is quite obviously meant to be the focal point. Regardless of how the character is portrayed in the product itself, all their preaching about gender equality in games falls a little flat when they're marketing it with blatantly traditional sex-appeal tactics.

D.I.D.
03-19-2013, 06:03 AM

Yes, fair point. I hope that's not the final cover - for all the reasons you stated, and that it'll look like several other games using that stupid pose. Of course, packaging and publicity is Capcom's call, not the developers'.

I didn't post the link because I'm hyping this game, I just thought the developer's experience was important. There's very little that's really known about this yet, and what we have seen looks very nice but also very linear and lacking in a central fun gameplay theme. Just have to wait and see what the game is really like closer to release, I guess.

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 06:44 AM
I think we can safely assume that we may never get a female lead in a main game after some of the replies I`v seen here...

Pathetic

Pathetic indeed. And they wonder why Edward looks like an Ezio clone (to some, anyway xD)

Bullet747
03-19-2013, 07:26 AM

Pathetic Yeah. There's still a severe insecurity in some men about empowering a woman whether it's fictional or in real life.

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Ah well no worries. If not AC then I always have Tomb Raider. Atleast you can be confident that when they bring out the sequel they'll put their full effort into it and not rush it out. :D

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Yeah. There's still a severe insecurity in some men about empowering a woman whether it's fictional or in real life.

its not about empowering women, but identifying with one. To feel one with her pains and rejoice in her victories. I was not aware that a person can't feel the emotions of another one unless they share the same gender. you don't HAVE to be a woman to identify with her, people. You can identify with a lot of her qualities and experiences, not just gender. I could identify with Miss Croft because her experiences reminded me of that one time when I was lost as a kid. I could relate to that a lot more than a certain rich Italian playboy who is the polar opposite of me, even though like me, he is a male. I didn't even know that the gender divide can be such a huge factor in "identifying" with a character.

SixKeys
03-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I'm all for a female character in any game, but I just wanted to point out that the military an't compare with AC.

My reply was in response to someone who said seeing women perform acts of brutality would look unrealistic. I pointed out there are women in the military who perform acts of brutality all the time, so it's not unrealistic. In any case, we're talking about games where the human race was created by ancient aliens and ordinary people jump into haystacks from 200 feet all the time. But a female protagonist acting brutal and kicking male soldiers' asses? Impossibru!!

Bullet747
03-19-2013, 08:34 AM
its not about empowering women, but identifying with one. To feel one with her pains and rejoice in her victories. I was not aware that a person can't feel the emotions of another one unless they share the same gender. you don't HAVE to be a woman to identify with her, people. You can identify with a lot of her qualities and experiences, not just gender. I could identify with Miss Croft because her experiences reminded me of that one time when I was lost as a kid. I could relate to that a lot more than a certain rich Italian playboy who is the polar opposite of me, even though like me, he is a male. I didn't even know that the gender divide can be such a huge factor in "identifying" with a character.

I agree. I think that relates to the insecurity I mentioned. They don't want to identify with a woman. It would force them to acknowledge her as a strong person and acknowledge some challenges she would have that a man wouldn't that are worth admiring.

CockneyCharmer
03-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Tomb Raider.......has recently rebooted an old franchise where the lead character, Lara Croft, became a parody of what had made her an iconic Gaming Hero. You not only identify with her you connect to her character on an emotional level. It shows that as long as the writing is strong, the voice acting great and a game that links it all together with amazing Gameplay...a female lead character can be done excellently.

Assassin's Creed is more then just the Assassin's gender, we revisit in the past. It is and always has been about their story, learning who they are, why they are doing what they doing, how they accomplish this and what happens after. All the Assassin's being male's was no doubt because Desmond was Male....I prefer to think of Quantum Leap (those who remember that), Sam Beckett would time travel within his own lifetime...similar to Desmond revisiting his DNA timeline, Sam could "leap" into anyone, male or female, and we know that all the main Assassin's we play as are connected by the same blood family line.

We also know, that the Assassin's had daughters as well as son's, Ezio only fathered a Daughter in his lifeline,(EDIT - Mistake in Ezio Bloodline made and acknowledged) who is to say we couldnt see her as a lead character....the possibility is there, and because the series is so strong, as long as the story is well written I think fans will accept the lead Assassin being female, I would and have no issue with it

ACfan443
03-19-2013, 09:20 AM
If females themselves don't want female characters then you can kiss gender equality in videogames goodbye. And you wonder why they pander the male fantasies in videogames. This is why.

This.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Tomb Raider.......has recently rebooted an old franchise where the lead character, Lara Croft, became a parody of what had made her an iconic Gaming Hero. You not only identify with her you connect to her character on an emotional level. It shows that as long as the writing is strong, the voice acting great and a game that links it all together with amazing Gameplay...a female lead character can be done excellently.

Assassin's Creed is more then just the Assassin's gender, we revisit in the past. It is and always has been about their story, learning who they are, why they are doing what they doing, how they accomplish this and what happens after. All the Assassin's being male's was no doubt because Desmond was Male....I prefer to think of Quantum Leap (those who remember that), Sam Beckett would time travel within his own lifetime...similar to Desmond revisiting his DNA timeline, Sam could "leap" into anyone, male or female, and we know that all the main Assassin's we play as are connected by the same blood family line.

We also know, that the Assassin's had daughters as well as son's, Ezio only fathered a Daughter in his lifeline, who is to say we couldnt see her as a lead character....the possibility is there, and because the series is so strong, as long as the story is well written I think fans will accept the lead Assassin being female, I would and have no issue with it
While I do not disagree with anything you said, Ezio had a son as well...Marcello

CockneyCharmer
03-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Thank you for the correction, its far too early in the morning to be forum posting lol

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 09:55 AM

We also know, that the Assassin's had daughters as well as son's, Ezio only fathered a Daughter in his lifeline, who is to say we couldnt see her as a lead character....the possibility is there, and because the series is so strong, as long as the story is well written I think fans will accept the lead Assassin being female, I would and have no issue with it

Apart from the minor factual error that M pointed out, I fully agree with it. Not being able to relate with a well-written and well-portrayed female character says more about you than about the game/character.

ZeSpecter
03-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Yeah well, this won't happen and I can guarantee you that.

The majority of the forum lurkers tend to be the more mature AC players from what I've experienced, and even then so many voted no. The majority of the AC players are not on the forums and they tend to be a bit younger than the forum-lurkers. While the forum-lurkers that voted no may or may not have given the game a chance, the younger players wouldn't even do that if there would be a female protagonist. The number of people buying AC could drop by a lot.

I sure as hell wouldn't take risk when the franchise is such a success now, and I'm sure Ubisoft wouldn't either.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm sure Ubisoft wouldn't either.
Of course not..

I wouldn't dare bring a bag of jasmine to a room full of ****...I have to clean the **** up first THEN bring that bag of jasmine..

ZeSpecter
03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Of course not..

I wouldn't dare bring a bag of jasmine to a room full of ****...I have to clean the **** up first THEN bring that bag of jasmine..

Indeed.

OT: That made me laugh so ****ing hard xD

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 10:44 AM

The majority of the forum lurkers tend to be the more mature AC players from what I've experienced, and even then so many voted no. The majority of the AC players are not on the forums and they tend to be a bit younger than the forum-lurkers. While the forum-lurkers that voted no may or may not have given the game a chance, the younger players wouldn't even give do that if there would be a female protagonist. The number of people buying AC would drop by a lot.

I sure as hell wouldn't take risk when the franchise is such a success now, and I'm sure Ubisoft wouldn't either.

That's what it comes down to. Companies have obviously done their research and know that this would have an effect on sales. Same reason why we haven't had a homo Assassin.

Sushiglutton
03-19-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't get this "not able to relate to"- argument. First off most of us have much more in common with some women, than we do with some men. For example I have more in common with my sister than I do with Ezio. Few complained about not being able to relate to Ezio. Secondly the vast majority of emotions are not gender specific. When threatened by a gun you get scared. When someone betrays your trust you get angry/disapointed/sad. When the ones close to you are in danger you feel the urge to do what you can to help them. I don't understand how you can't relate to these situations/emotions just because it's a woman who is experiencing them. That's absurd.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
When threatened by a gun you get scared.
No:p

But yeah..Maybe they relate better to third hidden blades.....a female doesn't have that

Sushiglutton
03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
No:p

But yeah..Maybe they relate better to third hidden blades.....a female doesn't have that

I can't relate to you then :p. The third blade has remained hidden for five games (thank god for that). What impact does it really have on 99% of the situations and emotions the protagonist deals with in these games?

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 10:57 AM
What are you talking about? O_o If you read my previous posts and in other threads, too, I clearly said I WANT female characters in video-games. As much as possible! I only take a rare exception to AC for various reasons.
Please don't put words in my mouth that I never said. O_o

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 10:57 AM
I can't relate to you then :p. The third blade has remained hidden for five games (thank god for that). What impact does it really have on 99% of the situations and emotions the protagonist deals with in these games?
No no..I mean a human with a third hidden blade in general being threatened by a gun and still ****ting his pants as much as a human without said hidden blade...or they can relate better to humans with third hidden blades being badass on a man with a gun than they can a human without the third blade being equally badass...

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 11:03 AM
If you read my previous posts I clearly said I WANT female characters in videogames. As much as possible. I only take an exception to AC for various reasons.

You said you "preferred" male Assassins, for various reasons. What's the problem if the devs "prefer" to show naked ladies in their trailers? Its their choice preference, just like you have yours. Preferences; every bias can be covered this way.

The point I was making was, if females themselves don't stand up for female characters then you'll NEVER have gender equality as long as protagonists go. And you'll have similar Ezio clones being shown womanizing full tilt because they tend to be popular. You can't have a bias or "preference" and at the same time complain about sexism in videogames.

Sushiglutton
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
No no..I mean a human with a third hidden blade in general being threatened by a gun and still ****ting his pants as much as a human without said hidden blade...or they can relate better to humans with third hidden blades being badass on a man with a gun than they can a human without the third blade being equally badass...

Doesn't "relate to" mean that you would feel/act the same in a similar situation, or at least that you can understand why the protagonist acted/felt like he did? You can find it more believable that a man can do some things. To me that's something else than to relate to that action.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Doesn't "relate to" mean that you would feel/act the same in a similar situation, or at least that you can understand why the protagonist acted/felt like he did? You can find it more believable that a man can do some things. To me that's something else than to relate to that action.
That`s just how they hide there sexism...some are blatant about it, others drop it vaguely....Just say you can`t relate to it...no one`s gonna call you sexist then;)

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 11:14 AM
You said you "preferred" male Assassins, for various reasons. What's the problem if the devs "prefer" to show naked ladies in their trailers? Its their choice preference, just like you have yours. Preferences; every bias can be covered this way.

The point I was making was, if females themselves don't stand up for female characters then you'll NEVER have gender equality as long as protagonists go. And you'll have similar Ezio clones being shown womanizing full tilt because they tend to be popular.
I think you are comparing apples with oranges here. JUST because I prefer a male assassin doesn't mean I want to see naked women in AC trailers as a female, while the man is fully dressed in the very same scene.
Why do these two events have to occur at the same time for me? There's absolutely no logic in this thought: "I prefer male assassins THEREFORE I shouldn't mind naked women as a female because the devs prefer it that way."
What? No logic, sorry...

Again, I want to have non-womaniser characters, indeed, but not because I have to shout out for more female characters first. O_o It should happen by default.

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
I think you are comparing apples with oranges here. JUST because I prefer a male assassin doesn't mean I want to see naked women in AC trailers as a female, while the man is fully dressed in the same scene.
Why do these two events have to occur at the same time for me? There's absolutely no logic in this: "I prefer male assassins THEREFORE I shouldn't mind naked women as a female"
What? No logic, sorry...

Logic is whatever you say it seems..

What I meant is this quite simply: You prefer male Assassins, fair enough. That's your preference. Its the dev's preference to show whatever they want in their trailer. Why is your preference ok but not theirs? You say it was sexist. fair enough, but the BIGGEST form of sexism in today's videogames is that 99.999% of all videogame characters and 100% of main Assassins are males. But that's ok, you are ok with that because preferences.

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
It's funny how people are so quick to brand others as sexist. Fact of the matter Is, there are some roles better played by females and others better played by males. Simply saying you find a male to be more believable in a given circumstance does not make you a sexist bigot. Male and Females make good Assassins though. There's nothing to say that one is better than the other. If you were talking in a military situation, I'd have to say a male because, well...facts. But that's not to say a female can't also strive in that environment, it's just that it's such a small percentage that do, and even then they take a less "aggressive" role. There are clear physical differences. But mentally/emotionally there's no reason why Male and Females shouldn't be able to relate. That's childish ffs.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 11:25 AM
It's funny how people are so quick to brand others as sexist. Fact of the matter Is, there are some roles better played by females and others better played by males. Simply saying you find a male to be more believable in a given circumstance does not make you a sexist bigot. Male and Females make good Assassins though. There's nothing to say that one is better than the other. If you were talking in a military situation, I'd have to say a male because, well...facts. But that's not to say a female can't also strive in that environment, it's just that it's such a small percentage that do, and even then they take a less "aggressive" role. There are clear physical differences. But mentally/emotionally there's no reason why Male and Females shouldn't be able to relate. That's childish ffs.
Well...We wouldn't label them as sexist if they had strong arguments or actually supported their arguments...out of the 29 who said no, only 4 explained why...and from what I see, no one was convinced..

Sushiglutton
03-19-2013, 11:25 AM
That`s just how they hide there sexism...some are blatant about it, others drop it vaguely....Just say you can`t relate to it...no one`s gonna call you sexist then;)

Yeah people tend to hide behind opinions and feelings, because they know it's untouchable. But some opinions are more qualified than others. And opinions/feelings can be inconsistent with other, deeper, things you believe in. I wonder if any of the "I can't relate to a female protagonist" people would be able to pass a cross-examination :p

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Logic is whatever you say it seems..

What I meant is this quite simply: You prefer male Assassins, fair enough. That's your preference. Its the dev's preference to show whatever they want in their trailer. Why is your preference ok but not theirs? You say it was sexist. fair enough, but the BIGGEST form of sexism in today's videogames is that 99.999% of all videogame characters and 100% of main Assassins are males. But that's ok, you are ok with that because preferences.
My preference is okay because my preference is NOT sexist. Theirs can objectively be though. It's like saying "You are female and you like the colour blue which is for boys. Why don't you like pink that is for girls? Because everyone knows blue is for boys and pink is for females. And you are female. How dare you like blue and not pink?" I will answer: "Pink is actually my favourite colour and I would love to see more pink in the world rather than blue until they both become equal. But it still doesn't stop me from wanting blue every now and then. Because blue is not bad and, at times, it can be my favourite colour, too."

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 11:29 AM
hey, guys I have an idea, how about we go back to recording voices again ?

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Well...We wouldn't label them as sexist if they had strong arguments or actually supported their arguments...out of the 29 who said no, only 4 explained why...and from what I see, no one was convinced..

Fair enough. Maybe they themselves don't know why and might even be sexist without even realising it. I just hate seeing that word thrown around like it's the only explanation there is.

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 11:34 AM
My preference is okay because my preference is NOT sexist. Theirs can objectively be though. It's like saying "You are female and you like the colour blue which is for boys. Why don't you like pink that is for girls? Because everyone knows blue is for boys and pink is for females. And you are female. How dare you like blue and not pink?" I will answer: "Pink is actually my favourite colour and I would love to see more pink in the world rather than blue until they both become equal. But it still doesn't stop me from wanting blue every now and then. Because blue is not bad and, at times, it can be my favourite colour, too."
That is a really poor analogy....

Sushiglutton
03-19-2013, 11:35 AM

You just branded the same people M called "sexists" as "childish". I never said there wasn't a physical difference, nor did I deny that men are more believable in some situations (in fact I explicitly said so at #164. And I'm sure M feels the same way. Our issue is (please correct me if I'm wrong M :) ) the "relate to" silliness, same as yours.

About the believability argument, I don't think it applies to AC as I said before:

AC is not realistic in that sense (nor does it have to be imo). I mean how many native americans were present when the declaration of independence was signed? How many had direct access to Washington and could just show up for a chat whenever they wanted? How often was a messenger elected to control firing squads in the middle of battle? There are so many things in AC the protagonist does that aren't reasonable at all (again I'm fine with this). Anyone who thinks running across the battlefield at Bunker Hill to assassinate Pitcairn is reasonable for a man, but unreasonable for a woman is kind of silly imo.

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 11:35 AM
That is a really poor analogy....
Make a better one then. Please guide me.

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Make one better then. Please guide me.
No because making stupid analogies always just dilutes the discussion and makes everything go off point. And besides if you can't see at this stage how flawed your logic is after everyone explaining there's not much hope in continuing.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
(please correct me if I'm wrong M :) ) the "relate to" silliness, same as yours.
Nothing wrong there...you got it spot on

Sushiglutton
03-19-2013, 11:40 AM
hey, guys I have an idea, how about we go back to recording voices again ?

I can't relate to Egyptian voices, only Swedish ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBuiqEsfkD0

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 11:41 AM
You just branded the same people M called "sexists" as "childish". I never said there wasn't a physical difference, nor did I deny that men are more believable in some situations (in fact I explicitly said so at #164. And I'm sure M feel the same way. Our issue is (please correct me if I'm wrong M :) ) the "relate to" silliness.

About the believability argument, I don't think it applies to AC as I said before:

That's right, maybe they aren't sexist but are childish.

What makes believability and relatability so mutually exclusive? Someone can react to a situation in a believable manner, no?

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 11:43 AM
No because making stupid analogies always just dilutes the discussion and makes everything go off point. And besides if you can't see at this stage how flawed your logic is after everyone explaining there's not much hope in continuing.
Why is it a stupid analogy then? Please explain.

Why is it off the point? Please explain again. In fact I made it because other people urgently needed a simplified analogy as I had to repeat myself again and again. Not my fault people can't grasp finer and subtler points in discussion. :|

Sushiglutton
03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
That's right, maybe they aren't sexist but are childish.

What makes believability and relatability so mutually exclusive? Someone can react to a situation in a believable manner, no?

Yes of course. What makes you think I consider "believability" and "relatability" to be mutually exclusive? I just don't think they are the same.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 11:46 AM
I can't relate to Egyptian voices, only Swedish ones:

I sound like Ezio <_<

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Yes of course. What makes you think I consider "believability" and "relatability" to be mutually exclusive? I just don't think they are the same.

Are you trolling me right now?

Sushiglutton
03-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Are you trolling me right now?

No, I'm genuinely confused.

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
No, I'm genuinely confused.

First you said that you were discussing relatability and not believability. Then you near enough say that you do not think they're mutually exclusive. And then you say they are not the same :s

I'm confused too xD

Oh wise M, clear this up will you.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Shucky Ducky Sucky QUACK QUACK

I`ll say my standing. Believably can be supported by facts and legitimate elements with which one can stand against or with, for example, there are facts supporting that sometimes men are more stable emotionally than women, you have the freedom to agree or disagree with this, but the fact remains...it`s there

Relatabilty; however, cannot have a standing with or against, because there`s only one position...you can relate to humans.If you say disagree, because you cannot relate to females, then you`re absurd...

I have a feeling like I`ll confuse you more :|

Sushiglutton
03-19-2013, 12:02 PM
First you said that you were discussing relatability and not believability. Then you near enough say that you do not think they're mutually exclusive. And then you say they are not the same :s

I'm confused too xD

I feel this would consume my entire breakfast to sort out and it's still an hour to lunch. It's mostly semantics at this point as I feel we pretty much agree on what is different (physical abilities) and what's not (basic emotions) between men and women, and how this affects believability/relability in videogames. Ok if we just shake hands, compliment eachothers brains and move on?

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Shucky Ducky Sucky QUACK QUACK

I`ll say my standing. Believably can be supported by facts and legitimate elements with which one can stand against or with, for example, there are facts supporting that sometimes men are more stable emotionally than women, you have the freedom to agree or disagree with this, but the fact remains...it`s there

Relatabilty; however, cannot have a standing with or against, because there`s only one position...you can relate to humans.If you say disagree, because you cannot relate to females, then you`re absurd...

I have a feeling like I`ll confuse you more :|

Beliefs aren't necessarily based on facts. I have a shrine to the spaghetti monster in my basement. You choose not to believe in my spaghetti God, fine, you are atheist scum :P

I feel this would consume my entire breakfast to sort out and it's still an hour to lunch. It's mostly semantics at this point as I feel we pretty much agree on what is different (physical abilities) and what's not (basic emotions) between men and women, and how this affects believability/relability in videogames. Ok if we just shake hands, compliment eachothers brains and move on?

I wasn't trying to pick apart what you said, just clarify what you meant. But yeah, this has nothing to do with the topic so enjoy your breakfast!

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Beliefs aren't necessarily based on facts. I have a shrine to the spaghetti monster in my basement. You choose not to believe in my spaghetti God, fine, you are atheist scum :P
Religious belief is pretty different to what I`m talking about xD i`m talking about observable belief..

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
My preference is okay because my preference is NOT sexist.

How not? That's what you tell yourself? Let's see: You said you prefer male Assassins because reasons, because obviously there's a mental image of Assassins which males are more capable of fitting than females. As others have repeatedly pointed out, males and females make perfect Assassins. Infact I'd say females are better suited for assassinations and spy jobs than males, because of obvious reasons. We're talking about a fictional world here, one in which people jump off skyscrapers and land in haystacks, in which guards have a memory of 5 seconds. What's so unbelievable in having female assassins in this fictional world? So yes, it is sexist, no matter how you dress it. Its no different than someone saying they don't prefer Native Assassins because they don't fit into some mental image of theirs. Infact we just had a guy like this a few days ago, didn't we M? xD

Male and Females make good Assassins though. There's nothing to say that one is better than the other. If you were talking in a military situation, I'd have to say a male because, well...facts. But that's not to say a female can't also strive in that environment, it's just that it's such a small percentage that do, and even then they take a less "aggressive" role. There are clear physical differences. But mentally/emotionally there's no reason why Male and Females shouldn't be able to relate. That's childish ffs.

Exactly. In real world situations I'd agree that a male is better suited for combat jobs than females. Nothing sexist in admitting it. There are situations where a man is better fitting than a woman, nothing sexist in that either. But in the fictional world of AC? Because I cant relate to females? Pfft please! I have a friend who told me he'd feel "uncomfortable" as playing a female Assassin. What's that if not sexist, even if they themselves don't know that?

And besides if you can't see at this stage how flawed your logic is after everyone explaining there's not much hope in continuing.

Indeed.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Its no different than someone saying they don't prefer Native Assassins because they don't fit into some mental image of theirs. Infact we just had a guy like this a few days ago, didn't we M? xD
More like few weeks ago, but yeah...he was ridiculous...stupid people come here sometimes..

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I have a shrine to the spaghetti monster in my basement.

You have my respect for that.

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Religious belief is pretty different to what I`m talking about xD i`m talking about observable belief..

But i have seen Spaghetti God the Magnificent with my own 2 eyes. :p

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
But i have seen Spaghetti God the Magnificent with my own 2 eyes. :p
You have 2 eyes ?

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
you have 2 eyes ?

revelations.

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Exactly. In real world situations I'd agree that a male is better suited for combat jobs than females. Nothing sexist in admitting it. There are situations where a man is better fitting than a woman, nothing sexist in that either. But in the fictional world of AC? Because I cant relate to females? Pfft please! I have a friend who told me he'd feel "uncomfortable" as playing a female Assassin. What's that if not sexist, even if they themselves don't know that?.

I know what you're saying man, but him feeling uncomfortable playing as a female might say more about his self image than the sheer fact he is a bigot. I dunno. I think if a guy flat out can't relate to women then there's something inherently wrong with him, or he just hasn't developed yet. So not being able to relate to a female = sexism? I'm not so sure.

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 12:40 PM
revelations.

That's 2 more Revelations than ACR ;)

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
I know what you're saying man, but him feeling uncomfortable playing as a female might say more about his self image than the sheer fact he is a bigot. I dunno. I think if a guy flat out can't relate to women then there's something inherently wrong with him, or he just hasn't developed yet. So not being able to relate to a female = sexism? I'm not so sure.

Well he's an adult. So either he's sexist, or he has got some issues. Either way its not good is it? :p

UrDeviant1
03-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Well he's an adult. So either he's sexist, or he has got some issues. Either way its not good is it? :p

You could look at it in a positive way. At least he won't be catching any cooties :P

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 12:47 PM
How not? That's what you tell yourself? Let's see: You said you prefer male Assassins because reasons, because obviously there's a mental image of Assassins which males are more capable of fitting than females. As others have repeatedly pointed out, males and females make perfect Assassins. Infact I'd say females are better suited for assassinations and spy jobs than males, because of obvious reasons. We're talking about a fictional world here, one in which people jump off skyscrapers and land in haystacks, in which guards have a memory of 5 seconds. What's so unbelievable in having female assassins in this fictional world? So yes, it is sexist, no matter how you dress it. Its no different than someone saying they don't prefer Native Assassins because they don't fit into some mental image of theirs. Infact we just had a guy like this a few days ago, didn't we M? xD
So basically you just attacked me as sexist simply for preferring male assassins (for various reasons you obviously know nothing about). Got it. Even though I'm female myself. Got it. Even though I made clear before that I even follow feminist game blogs on Tumblr. Got it. And for making posts in favour of female characters all the time in this forum and others, too. Got it. You just ignored them. Got it. Even though I said I don't really mind a female assassin since I would obviously relate very well with her (I only said I prefer male ones. Big difference). Got it.

Let me tell you: you have a very warped idea of what sexism really is and I am taking this public post of yours as personal attack. I hope the mods see it.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Let me tell you: you have a very warped idea of what sexism really is and I am taking this public post of yours as personal attack. I hope the mods see it.
You can report him..

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Why is it a stupid analogy then? Please explain.

Why is it off the point? Please explain again. In fact I made it because other people urgently needed a simplified analogy as I had to repeat myself again and again. Not my fault people can't grasp finer and subtler points in discussion. :|
*sigh*
It's poor because the issue here for me isn't that what you're thinking is sexist, I don't think it is, it's your warped logic to somehow think womanizing as a character trait is sexist while also preferring male protagonists and thinking that isn't sexist. Your arguments and your analogy completely fail at explaining how you can think that one thing is okay because is just "preferences" but the other thing is omg sexist. You're repeating yourself again and again because you refuse to listen to anybody's points. You respond to everything with this is sexist because I say so and this isn't sexist because I say so. lol at calling your argument subtle, it amounts to you putting your hands over your ears and saying "I can't hear you, I can't hear you"

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:16 PM
*sigh*
It's poor because the issue here for me isn't that what you're thinking is sexist, I don't think it is, it's your warped logic to somehow think womanizing as a character trait is sexist while also preferring male protagonists and thinking that isn't sexist. Your arguments and your analogy completely fail at explaining how you can think that one thing is okay because is just "preferences" but the other thing is omg sexist. You're repeating yourself again and again because you refuse to listen to anybody's points. You respond to everything with this is sexist because I say so and this isn't sexist because I say so. lol at calling your argument subtle, it amounts to you putting your hands over your ears and saying "I can't hear you, I can't hear you"
No I NEVER said womanising trait is sexist. Does nobody ever read my posts properly? I NEVER EVER said that. O_o Just like pirate, you're putting words in my mouth. And, no, I think it's the other way round, I have to repeat them because others utterly and totally refuse to listen to MY points.
They have even put words in my mouth multiple times so far in this thread to suit their interests of attacking me.

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Your arguments and your analogy completely fail at explaining how you can think that one thing is okay because is just "preferences" but the other thing is omg sexist.

'xactly. Its like complaining about killing virtual whales while real whales get killed.

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:22 PM
'xactly. Its like complaining about killing virtual whales while real whales get killed.
I made whole post JUST for you. But you ignored it as usual.
I must say I find the whaling example as a poor analogy. Sorry.
But, hey, keep on whaling folks!

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Keep on whaling folks!
report them

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
No I NEVER said womanising trait is sexist. Does nobody ever read my posts properly? I NEVER EVER said that. O_o Just like pirate, you're putting words in my mouth. And, no, I think it's the other way round, I have to repeat them because others utterly and totally refuse to listen to MY points.
They have even put words in my mouth multiple times so far in this thread to suit their interests of attacking me.

But now you are going to sexist territory because promoting womanising is in reality sexist! Sheeesh!! :rolleyes: My preferences, on the other hand, are not sexist. (If I like red instead of purple is not promoting "redism" against the color purple.)

:nonchalance: Maybe you should read your own posts properly?

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
report them
For ****ing what?

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
:nonchalance: Maybe you should read your own posts properly?
Maybe YOU should read them? One of them is not even mine!! I won't even say which part of my post you should read more carefully. That's your problem.

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Maybe YOU should read them? One of them is not even mine!!
Are you joking? The third post is a response you made to the post above it. Care to explain that?

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 01:28 PM

Keep on whaling folks!

I must say the whaling is a poor analogy myself. Sorry.

I saw that, and have nothing to respond to. If you found my posts insulting or anything, I apologize but stand by them. report me if you want.

As far as I know, what you didn't like in the trailer was that the females were naked but Eddi wasn't. So gender inequality. But you ignored why Eddi is even a male in the first place? After 5 main games as male don't you think females deserve a chance? But, like you said, you prefer males so no harm done. Like PETA, focusing in trivial issues while ignoring the elephant in the room.

silvermercy
Are you joking? The third post is a response you made to the post above it. Care to explain that?

OMG I'm dealing with infants here it seems... Please don't tell me that from my whole post you actually deduced that I said womanising is a sexist trait? Please tell me you didn't do that, for the love of god!

Assassin_M
For ****ing what?
for attacking her...she`s clearly offended..

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:29 PM
I saw that, and have nothing to respond to. If you found my posts insulting or anything, I apologize but stand by them. report me if you want.

As far as I know, what you didn't like in the trailer was that the females were naked but Eddi wasn't. So gender inequality. But you ignored why Eddi is even a male in the first place? After 5 main games as male don't you think females deserve a chance? But, like you said, you prefer males so no harm done. Like PETA, focusing in trivial issues while ignoring the elephant in the room.
There are so many wrongs in this post it is not even worth replying from now on. I've reached my patience limit.
Where did I freaking say that females don't deserve another game? Why is everyone putting words in my mouth!? WHY!? So by preferring a male assassin I'm betraying my gender and I'm pulling a PETA? Unbelievable... People here actually deduced that?

I think I might need to stop replying because all my words get twisted.

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Where did I freaking say that females don't deserve another game? Why is everyone putting words in my mouth!? WHY!?

You said you preferred male Assassins. So if it was up to you, say you were the creative director or the writer, you'd create a male Assassin, won't you? If AC 6,7,8,9 featured male Assassins again, you'd be happier than say if they featured females, because you preferred males. That's what I meant by it.

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 01:33 PM
OMG I'm dealing with infants here it seems... Please don't tell me that from my whole post you actually deduced that I said womanising is a sexist trait? Please tell me you didn't do that, for the love of god!
Good ****ing lord. Okay I'm done. For the sake of my health. I've not seen this level of stupidity since Hasooon was here.

for attacking her...she`s clearly offended..
Not my problem she thinks people calling her out on her crap logic is "attacking" them. And this is a bit rich coming from you....

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Not my problem she thinks people calling her out on her crap logic is "attacking" them. And this is a bit rich coming from you....
A bit puzzling you`v not discovered I`m joking yet http://www.maryse.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Smiley-YahooRaisedEyebrow.gif

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 01:36 PM
A bit puzzling you`v not discovered I`m joking yet http://www.maryse.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Smiley-YahooRaisedEyebrow.gif
lol whoops. I take everything back and beg your forgiveness M.

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 01:38 PM
lol whoops. I take everything back and beg your forgiveness M.
You are not forgiven

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Good ****ing lord. Okay I'm done. For the sake of my health. I've not seen this level of stupidity since Hasooon was here.
Good!! I couldn't take anymore stupidity from you either then! You clearly failed to spot the keyword I used in that post to see that I never said that "womanising is a sexist trait". Not gonna help you find it. Because it's so obvious. The keyword I used makes all the difference actually... If people fail to spot it and accuse me of saying things I never said... well...

You said you preferred male Assassins. So if it was up to you, say you were the creative director or the writer, you'd create a male Assassin, won't you? If AC 6,7,8,9 featured male Assassins again, you'd be happier than say if they featured females, because you preferred males. That's what I meant by it.
More assumptions again and putting words in my mouth.... In fact if I was Ubisoft I'd have male and females assassins in equal measures. It would be my duty to the gaming world. I would STILL prefer male ones though. Is that a freaking CRIME!?

Assassin_M
03-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Come on, guys....just...lets just get back to recording voices OK ? Come on....come on...Lets just record voices doing AC people...come on....

TheHumanTowel
03-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Good!! I couldn't take anymore stupidity from you either then! You clearly failed to spot the keyword I used in that post to see that I never said that "womanising is a sexist trait". Not gonna help you find it. Because it's so obvious. The keyword I used makes all the difference actually... If people fail to spot it and accuse me of saying things I never said... well...

Okay honey, just one last time for old times sake....

I know you're referring to "promoting" as somehow completely changing the meaning of your sentence. Wtf does promoting even mean in this context? Judging on your reaction to the Edward trailer and the description of him "promoting womanising" seems to mean to you "having the character be a womaniser".

BYE NOW.

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
More assumptions again and putting words my mouth.... In fact if I was Ubisoft I'd have male and females assassins in equal measures. It would be my duty to the gaming world. I would STILL prefer male ones though. Is that a freaking CRIME!?

Not in that idealized situation. But on here where such a skewered ratio exists? Not sure. The more people prefer male Assassins, the less likely we are to see one ever, There are already some doomsday prophets on this thread preaching that.

Also, you didn't answer my second question xD

silvermercy
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Okay honey, just one last time for old times sake....

I know you're referring to "promoting" as somehow completely changing the meaning of your sentence. Wtf does promoting even mean in this context? Judging on your reaction to the Edward trailer and the description of him "promoting womanising" seems to mean "having the character be a womaniser".

BYE NOW.
GOOD. You finally spotted it! Well done! 5 golden stars! Yes, it changes everything actually.
By the way, more assumptions again about me and the Edward trailer.

I'm outta this thread.

Bye then.

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Good. Back to the topic; Female Assassins are awesome. Approximately 136657 times more awesome than male Assassins.

Also, thanks to silvermercy, whenever I see that Edward pic I imagine there's a female face under the hood.

D.I.D.
03-19-2013, 02:11 PM

The majority of the forum lurkers tend to be the more mature AC players from what I've experienced, and even then so many voted no. The majority of the AC players are not on the forums and they tend to be a bit younger than the forum-lurkers. While the forum-lurkers that voted no may or may not have given the game a chance, the younger players wouldn't even do that if there would be a female protagonist. The number of people buying AC could drop by a lot.

This forum has a small number of regulars now. It's only a useful yardstick in the month following a new game's release, when there are many more people.

Ubisoft can and should take this risk, because the odds are in their favour. 600,000 units of Liberation on the Vita was a major success for that platform. Sony needed AC:L so badly that they appear to have paid for long-term exclusivity, and yet Sony did not say, "We're paying for this, so make the character male".

AC is a bigger theme than its characters. No doubt if there was a poll before AC3 saying "Would you buy an AC game featuring a Native American?", many people would have said firmly 'no', but the game sold by the bucketload anyway. There are people who want to bully the industry into keeping things exactly as they are, white US males for the most part, and franchises like AC - where the theme is bigger than its characters - is ideal for changing that. The idea of brushing against female experience causes such fear in some boys, and it's crazy to cater to that: the action game industry will get no bigger than it is today if it doesn't break it. The actual implementation of the solution will teach consumers that they were getting antsy over nothing, and it will allow the industry to grow in size and complexity.

Kaschra
03-20-2013, 12:08 AM
What is going on here... :I
Ah, whatever...

Come on, guys....just...lets just get back to recording voices OK ? Come on....come on...Lets just record voices doing AC people...come on....

I support this idea :>

RatonhnhakeFan
03-20-2013, 01:07 AM
Want a Female Assassin?
Yes. And a gay/lesbian assassin. And a black/asian assassin. Why not an assassin with some disability? There's more people in the world that should be represented than just straight males, especially Caucasian ones. Simple.

Assassin_M
03-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Ah, whatever...

I support this idea :>
You`re my new best friend

Kaschra
03-20-2013, 01:37 AM
You`re my new best friend

Too bad it's in the middle of the night over here right now :/

Spider_Sith9
03-20-2013, 01:48 AM
And this is why we can't have FemAssassins... People don't want them/becomes a sexual affair.

Assassin_M
03-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Too bad it's in the middle of the night over here right now :/
Not sure how that affects anything :|

Kaschra
03-20-2013, 02:27 AM
Not sure how that affects anything :|

My family sleeps and I don't want to wkae them :I

I-Like-Pie45
03-20-2013, 02:31 AM
Women can't be Assassins.

It's just an illogical design choice, liek Indians and Pirates. :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
03-20-2013, 02:31 AM
My family sleeps and I don't want to wkae them :I
I just said you were my new best friend D:
I didn't make that much noise D:

yet >_>

Kaschra
03-20-2013, 02:37 AM
I just said you were my new best friend D:
I didn't make that much noise D:

yet >_>

No, I mean if I would try to record something now, I'd be too loud and then they would wake up xD

Assassin_M
03-20-2013, 02:39 AM
No, I mean if I would try to record something now, I'd be too loud and then they would wake up xD
Oh thaaaaaaaaaaaaat xD

Megas_Doux
03-20-2013, 02:41 AM
I would say yes!
*quietly leaves the scene*

DarkDreamer95
03-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Yes, not everyone owns a Vita. And from what I've heard, Ubi is quite capable of making a strong female assassin. Now let's take that mainstream, please.

RinoTheBouncer
03-20-2013, 04:38 PM
For those saying "Women can't be Assassins"

I'll just say "Claudia?, the recruits?"

kuled2012
03-20-2013, 04:44 PM

Aveline..

pirate1802
03-20-2013, 05:51 PM

Before Liberation came, the loudest argument against FemAssassins here used to be that they can't be very good Assassins. Post-Liberation, it has morphed to: I cant relate to a female Assassin..

nitres15
03-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Before Liberation came, the loudest argument against FemAssassins here used to be that they can't be very good Assassins. Post-Liberation, it has morphed to: I cant relate to a female Assassin..

people will always find an excuse, no matter what

cmrggamer
03-20-2013, 06:11 PM
I really don't understand how people can claim they won't be able to relate to a female assassin. All I want to say is that you can't relate to a poorly written character. It has nothing to do with the gender of a character. But, as we have seen with AC3, people have different views of what is well written and what is poorly written, and that's fine. I think Ubisoft has the potential to write a very good female assassin, I never played Liberation but I did watch a few playthroughs and Aveline seemed like a really well-rounded character. I think they should go for it, and for all the people that can't deal with it they don't have to buy the game and they can just read up on the story somewhere else.

EllisEverTellYa
03-20-2013, 06:26 PM
It's simple, when I play a game I like to put myself in the shoes of the character, I pretend that the character is me, with the help of my imagination I play the story with my little twists, make funny comments, do stuff that I would do If i were there etc. I've been doing so for the past 5 games, it would kill the serie for me if I had to pretend that I lost weight and got a boob job. :nonchalance: Like I said in my previous post I don't mind if the modern day protagonist is female but for the love of all the gods keep the ancestor male! :p

Assassin_M
03-20-2013, 07:57 PM
It's simple, when I play a game I like to put myself in the shoes of the character, I pretend that the character is me, with the help of my imagination I play the story with my little twists, make funny comments, do stuff that I would do If i were there etc. I've been doing so for the past 5 games, it would kill the serie for me if I had to pretend that I lost weight and got a boob job. :nonchalance: Like I said in my previous post I don't mind if the modern day protagonist is female but for the love of all the gods keep the ancestor male! :p
That`s a little bit silly...

You can`t pretend being female ? then you`v no imagination...

D.I.D.
03-20-2013, 08:26 PM

Female gamers can put themselves in the male role and have to do so pretty much all the time.

Do you really have no space in your mind for empathy with women? Are you unable to play Tomb Raider, or Portal?

LoyalACFan
03-20-2013, 08:49 PM

For Christ's sake, women aren't an alien species. You could do all of the above if you were playing as a female, and it wouldn't be any more of a stretch of the imagination than applying yourself to the other protagonists. You can easily relate to "Florentine Renaissance playboy rich kid" or "idealistic orphaned Mohawk warrior", but not "a woman"?

But you don't have to worry, this thread is proof positive that Ubi will NEVER EVER EVER consider making a female protagonist in a main AC game... :nonchalance:

ze_topazio
03-20-2013, 08:54 PM
How do you relate to Altair, Ezio and Connor? what part of your lives resemble theirs?