PDA

View Full Version : Teiowí:sonte...three different voice actors?

BATISTABUS
03-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Warning: Discussion on the following pages contains SPOILERS about The Betrayal (TOKW Ep. 2)

Throughout the Tyranny of King Washington DLC, the voice of Teiowí:sonte seems to change from scene to scene. I'm not just talking about the delivery...I'm talking about the voice actor.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130224115502/assassinscreed/images/thumb/9/9b/ACIII-Teiowísonte.png/250px-ACIII-Teiowísonte.png

The first time we see him, he seems to be voiced by Andreas Apergis (the voice of Cesare Borgia, Israel Putnam, etc.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=SPVknSjv5hAFIBV_pnGJAHN8r_mzB6d63A&v=Sq-oHENLTYg&feature=player_detailpage#t=181s

Next, he sounds exactly like his brother Kahionhaténion. It's almost as if they accidentally put in the wrong model, or had to switch them around last-second.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4gUTEb3to0&list=SPVknSjv5hAFIBV_pnGJAHN8r_mzB6d63A

Towards the end, he sounds like someone completely different again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QQRnjePm2VI&list=SPVknSjv5hAFIBV_pnGJAHN8r_mzB6d63A#t=475s

Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed this?

pacmanate
03-17-2013, 08:55 PM
What the hell you are absolutely right.

LAME, UBISOFT. LAME.

GunnarGunderson
03-17-2013, 09:02 PM
He's Paul Revere in that last video

itsamea-mario
03-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Holy spaceballs!
i know it's probably idiocy/laziness/poor communication on ubi's part.
But what if it's to do with it being a dream? like voices are all different, and if the last one is that of paul revere, maybe it's connor's dreamstate just throwing in any voice it can remember? This probably isn't the case but w/e.

BATISTABUS
03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Holy spaceballs!
i know it's probably idiocy/laziness/poor communication on ubi's part.
But what if it's to do with it being a dream? like voices are all different, and if the last one is that of paul revere, maybe it's connor's dreamstate just throwing in any voice it can remember? This probably isn't the case but w/e.
I considered this, but nobody else has this problem... XD

itsamea-mario
03-17-2013, 09:15 PM
I considered this, but nobody else has this problem... XD

Well the clan mother and Connor's mother both have different voices. But that's probably money stuff.

nitres15
03-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Well the clan mother and Connor's mother both have different voices. But that's probably money stuff.

it could be possible that the voice actors weren´t available. ya know, hunting deer all day or somethin

BATISTABUS
03-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Ziio didn't have a different voice in the Tyranny. The Clan Mother did because they wanted the villagers to speak English....maybe the original actress didn't speak it?

Layytez
03-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Kanen'tó:kon had a different voice actor too.

BATISTABUS
03-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Kanen'tó:kon had a different voice actor too.
How do you know?

Eternal Reward
03-17-2013, 09:31 PM
He did sound funny I thought......

Maybe, since the voices do seem to be mixed with people Connor knew....maybe it's intentional? I hope so.

Layytez
03-17-2013, 09:31 PM
How do you know?

Just by listening. Kanen'tó:kon normally sounded somewhat weak in the main game but in the DLC he sounds strong and completely different.

BATISTABUS
03-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Just by listening. Kanen'tó:kon normally sounded somewhat weak in the main game but in the DLC he sounds strong and completely different.
Kanen'to:kon isn't in The Infamy...is he?

ACfan443
03-17-2013, 09:33 PM
You're right, that's so weird.
He had a deep, American voice in the second clip, and then a soft British voice in the third clip. Strange...

itsamea-mario
03-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Ziio didn't have a different voice in the Tyranny. The Clan Mother did because they wanted the villagers to speak English....maybe the original actress didn't speak it?

spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgsGwrkqEpI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWcDwkvs0J8

clearly different.

Layytez
03-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Kanen'to:kon isn't in The Infamy...is he?

He's in The Betrayal.

Eternal Reward
03-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Mario, I think they sound the same....if your not sure, look in the credits.

BATISTABUS
03-17-2013, 09:38 PM
clearly different.
I'm not sure. Their attitudes are completely different, but the voices themselves sound like they could belong to the same person. I could see how you might think they're different though...if a mod's reading this, can we get some official confirmation?

BATISTABUS
03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
He's in The Betrayal.
...well how have you heard him?

Layytez
03-17-2013, 09:40 PM

It leaked on PC. Watched a walkthrough on youtube.

InfectedNation
03-17-2013, 09:47 PM
As much as I love ToKW, the voice acting for the native characters is incredibly disappointing. Well done on calling out the specifics which we didn't notice though!

montagemik
03-17-2013, 09:48 PM

Hasn't there been a thread on page 1 for the last day or so about this leaked TOKW DLC story . ? .............. Maybe you missed them.

BATISTABUS
03-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Oh, wow...that voice isn't even close to how he used to sound. It sounds like Apergis again...does he voice everyone in this DLC?

THAT makes me angry. I understand that they needed to save time and money so they didn't have the natives speak Kanien'keha, but this is just ridiculous. Akwiratékha Martin can speak English perfectly. This is just lazy and stingy. I really liked how unique he sounded. He had a soft voice despite being a fierce warrior. This just sounds generic, bordering on stereotypical.

SixKeys
03-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Ahahahah, I didn't even notice any of this but you're completely right. Just goes to show how little money they spent on this DLC.

FirestarLuva
03-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Ziio may sound a bit different, but I'm sure it's the same voice actor, it's just their attitudes are a bit different.
And the Clan Mother never spoke english in the main game so it may seem she is voiced by someone new.
P.S. I like Kanen's new voice better than the original one. Don't know why. It kind of suits him better.

pacmanate
03-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Why are they mind fooping us. I am hoping this is intentional as this is just beyond stupid. Why are they changing every voice actor?!

BATISTABUS
03-17-2013, 11:53 PM
P.S. I like Kanen's new voice better than the original one. Don't know why. It kind of suits him better.
I don't think it suits him at all. I think it suits a generic stoic native warrior, if that's what you think Kanen'to:kon is. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I can't figure out a nicer sounding way to word it. xD

FirestarLuva
03-17-2013, 11:59 PM
This is what the creative the director of the DLC said about this:

Regarding Natives, I'll be 100% honest with you. This is a choice that we made and we knew some people would be for and others would be against it (it was split on the team). Let me try to explain that decision to you. Having them speak in their Native language is really complicated. It takes a long time to translate. It takes a lot of repetition for actors to get it right. It also nearly doubles the time of the cut-scenes. It's also more difficult to sense emotions. On the plus side, it is more authentic. So we weighted all those and at the end of the day we felt like AC3 had already done it and that players would better understand the emotions we were trying to convey if we did it in English. I know some of you may not agree with this decision, but I think it is interesting for you to see the reasoning that goes behind making those decisions. (That's also part of the Creative Director's job, taking decisions that you know not 100% of people will approve of!)

SixKeys
03-18-2013, 03:35 AM
This is what the creative the director of the DLC said about this:

Regarding Natives, I'll be 100% honest with you. This is a choice that we made and we knew some people would be for and others would be against it (it was split on the team). Let me try to explain that decision to you. Having them speak in their Native language is really complicated. It takes a long time to translate. It takes a lot of repetition for actors to get it right. It also nearly doubles the time of the cut-scenes. It's also more difficult to sense emotions. On the plus side, it is more authentic. So we weighted all those and at the end of the day we felt like AC3 had already done it and that players would better understand the emotions we were trying to convey if we did it in English. I know some of you may not agree with this decision, but I think it is interesting for you to see the reasoning that goes behind making those decisions. (That's also part of the Creative Director's job, taking decisions that you know not 100% of people will approve of!)

That doesn't explain why they changed the actual voices. I can understand that translating the script into the native language is expensive and time-consuming, but I am 99% certain that all the voice actors they used for the native characters can speak English to some degree. Kanentó:kon's original voice certainly can, we saw him speak English in one of the making-of videos. Ziio obviously speaks both languages fine. The only one I'm not sure about is the Clan Mother's original voice.

Assassin_M
03-18-2013, 03:43 AM
That doesn't explain why they changed the actual voices. I can understand that translating the script into the native language is expensive and time-consuming, but I am 99% certain that all the voice actors they used for the native characters can speak English to some degree. Kanentó:kon's original voice certainly can, we saw him speak English in one of the making-of videos. Ziio obviously speaks both languages fine. The only one I'm not sure about is the Clan Mother's original voice.
She most probably can..the only English words she said were "Charles Lee" and she pronounced them perfectly..

Megas_Doux
03-18-2013, 04:17 AM
I like the voices in this dlc!
And the reason is that I find the quality of the acting to be better! I understand that in order to have realism you want to hear their native language, but I found the scenes from the main game poorly interpreted.

Farlander1991
03-18-2013, 04:33 AM

Well, it doesn't have to be a specific creative choice. I think the answer is most likely very simple: they just couldn't get the old actors back. That happens quite a lot. And it wouldn't really be surprising.

Here's the thing, Ubisoft didn't really know what their DLC is going to be about until like what, August-September 2012? The actors could've gotten other obligations. For example, the actress who played Ziio stars in a TV show that premiers this year and started filming summer 2012, maybe her schedule conflicted. Maybe one of the actors didn't want to work with Ubisoft again for some reason, who knows?

Aphex_Tim
03-18-2013, 06:16 AM
You might wanna put some spoiler tags in this thread about Kanen'to:kon.
I wasn't expecting to read The Betrayal spoilers in a thread about The Infamy........

BATISTABUS
03-19-2013, 02:47 AM
I understand that in order to have realism you want to hear their native language, but I found the scenes from the main game poorly interpreted.
I can see why you might think that, but I really don't think the acting was bad for these characters. I assume you're talking about Kanen'to:kon, and how his speech seemed very unnatural. For me, having spent a lot of time with non-native English speakers, this sounded extremely natural and authentic. It makes sense (and I assume it's true) that Kanen'to:kon would be more focused on saying things in English than putting in natural inflection. Even so, there was still emotion in his voice, albeit a bit more subtle than most video game performances. I actually really liked the voice for this character, as despite his looks it was soft and uncertain at times. It really sounded like someone who knew what it was like to be weak, but wasn't trying to make up for it now that he's strong.

Kanen'to:kon isn't a character like Leonardo or Bartolomeo, so I think the voice and performance by Akwiratékha Martin are extremely fitting (and again, authentic). The new voice is very disappointing to me as it doesn't provide any of that.

You might wanna put some spoiler tags in this thread about Kanen'to:kon.
I wasn't expecting to read The Betrayal spoilers in a thread about The Infamy........
I will. Unfortunately, this thread spoiled it for me too...

BATISTABUS
03-19-2013, 09:47 PM
So apparently Sam Adams got a new voice actor as well. At least this wave of recastings wasn't just reserved to the natives...and that makes me feel a little bit better about it. I don't like it at all, but it makes me think it was more for scheduling issues than anything else.